Type keyword(s) to search

The Chefs/Cheftestants of Top Chef

• Start Topic

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Queena said:

I'm rewatching season 8, and I didn't notice the first time that he stole Blais recipe. He had his hands in every cooking jar with that many restaurants. 

Tre was one of my favorites and it doesn't hurt that he's very easy on my eyes. We have something in common, we're both Black and not really into southern food, and we both love lasagna. I read that his wife is his sous chef! 

I had no idea that she had cancer. :( I always liked Fatima. We share a name, and it's hard being Fatima and having your name mispronounced all of the time. 

Clearly I'm an idiot. What's the correct pronunciation of Fatima?

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Queena said:

I pronnuce my name FAH TEE MUH. Some people say FAT AH MUH 

Those are both common variations based on different dialects and languages so just because it’s not how you pronounce your name I wouldn’t say it was a mispronunciation. I have a name that also has different pronunciations and I correct once, my friends correct multiple times, at the end of the day I don’t actually care. I have a good friend who literally cannot hear the difference in how she pronounces my name and how I pronounce it so she says it’s her nickname for me.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Those are both common variations based on different dialects and languages so just because it’s not how you pronounce your name I wouldn’t say it was a mispronunciation. I have a name that also has different pronunciations and I correct once, my friends correct multiple times, at the end of the day I don’t actually care. I have a good friend who literally cannot hear the difference in how she pronounces my name and how I pronounce it so she says it’s her nickname for me.

If I tell you how I pronnuce my name and you pronnuce it any other way it's  mispronounced in my book. Thank you for your comment and you enjoy your day love. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Queena said:

If I tell you how I pronnuce my name and you pronnuce it any other way it's  mispronounced in my book. Thank you for your comment and you enjoy your day love. 

I wasn’t suggesting that you cannot correct someone on the pronounciation of your name and that they are pronouncing your name just that the name Fátima has more than one pronounciation.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I wasn’t suggesting that you cannot correct someone on the pronounciation of your name and that they are pronouncing your name just that the name Fátima has more than one pronounciation.

I am very much aware of that. Thanks again love, you enjoy your day now. 

• Love 1

Oh my....looks like Bryan could be on the hook since his business partner declared bankruptcy. Or he too declares bankruptcy. Either way, it doesn't look to be a happy ending here, and that's sad. BVolt has always been a fan favorite. 

• Love 5

I dunno. If his name is on the lease, he's responsible. I imagine they had a bookkeeper writing the checks, but I would think said employee would have to consult with their boss before knowingly withholding rent. I would be more inclined to blame a rogue bookkeeper, but both restaurants eventually closed, so there were money problems.

Unfortunately for Brian, his partner filed for bankruptcy first, so he's on the hook for everything.    Unless it was set up in some way that insulated his person funds from the corporation that ran the restaurants.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1
On 1/3/2019 at 2:03 PM, Colleenna said:

Has anyone on this forum eaten at one of Spike Mendelssohn's restaurants? Does he have many vegetarian options?

I’ve eaten at Good Stuff Eatery multiple times and have eaten at Bearnaise.  I don’t remember any entree vegetarian options at Bearnaise but my visit has been several years ago so things may have changed since then.  I’m pretty positive Good Stuff Eatery had at least a couple options.

3 minutes ago, Peper81 said:

don’t remember any entree vegetarian options at Bearnaise but my visit has been several years ago so things may have changed since then.

Bearnaise closed. He opened a taqueria in the space.

11 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

Heartbreaking.  I don't know Fati, but from her season, I feel I do -- brings tears to the eyes.

I'm just heartbroken. My favorite moment of hers was when she was saying she'd only ever been to one stadium (it was a sports stadium themed challenge) and it was for a Taylor Swift concert. She was asked "which one" (clearly meaning "which stadium"?) and she answered, "1989, DUH!" Like obviously that's the T-Swift tour she'd go to. DUH. 

I've read on Instagram that Padma is on her way to be with Gati, and Joe Flamm is taking his newborn today from Chicago to meet Fati. LOTS of folks have commented they are on their way to be with her. What a lovely, supportive community TC and cooking in general is providing her. I hope she feels surrounded by the love & peace we are all sending her. I've been tearing up randomly about this for two days now. 

Fuck cancer. She's such a beautiful, kind, spirited, loving, passionate soul and this just fucking sucks. 

We love you, Fati. 

• Love 18

Oh no, Fatima  :(

These posts from her Instagram are especially saddening to me; she is saying goodbye:

"I hope, because a wish is putting on too much responsibility on the other, that you will somehow find forgiveness in your big heart for whenever I must have hurt you."

"I thank you a million times over for when you have given me joy. I’ll try to keep everyone updated the best that I possibly can."

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, raven said:

Oh no, Fatima  :(

These posts from her Instagram are especially saddening to me; she is saying goodbye:

She is one of my favorites. I love her dry wit, her view of the life and the world. 

• Love 5

How long are the chefs away from home if they make it all the way to the top 2? I know before the finale they get to go home, so I mean before that time. I’m behind episodes but I see the chef who left her ten month old at home and I just wondered how long would it be for if she made it all the way to top 2? Thanks. 

30 minutes ago, sonder said:

How long are the chefs away from home if they make it all the way to the top 2? I know before the finale they get to go home, so I mean before that time. I’m behind episodes but I see the chef who left her ten month old at home and I just wondered how long would it be for if she made it all the way to top 2? Thanks. 

All the chefs are gone for about a month before the finale, it doesn’t matter if they are eliminated they are still sequestered until it breaks for the finale. They haven’t had a final 2 for the destination finale in years.

• Love 2

Oh, thanks. Didn’t know they are sequestered. I thought it has been a final 2 for the past years and then they bring back the 3rd surprise chef from last chance kitchen. It’s been a while.

11 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

All the chefs are gone for about a month before the finale, it doesn’t matter if they are eliminated they are still sequestered until it breaks for the finale. They haven’t had a final 2 for the destination finale in years.

Oh, thanks. Didn’t know they are sequestered. I thought it has been a final 2 for the past years and then they bring back the 3rd surprise chef from last chance kitchen. It’s been a while.

I just saw this news on social media and I am completely heartbroken. She had such a wonderful spirit about her and was one of my Top Chef favorites. Seeing how everyone was so supportive and loving towards her is what this show is about behind the scenes and on. May she rest peacefully and know that she left quite a mark during her time here on earth!

• Love 11

I'm just so sad.  She seemed so charming and bright and generous and lovely.  Even the nicest people on the show aren't always generous with praise of other people, and I can hear in my head at this moment her voice as she said of Carrie, "She made an oven.  Out of snow!  Who does that?"  It was such a sweet and spontaneous moment of generosity.  A lovely person.

• Love 9

This is horribly sad. She seemed very sweet and funny and her food was the one that made me drool the most during that season.

The quote that I best remember is that whole exchange with Bruce.

“I’ve never been to a football stadium before. That’s not true, I went to a Taylor Swift concert at one once.”

“Which one?”

"The 1989 tour, obviously.”

“I meant which stadium.”

Edited by Luciano
  • Love 15

I got to eat at Kelsey's restaurant this past week.  It's a casual place in the historic part of town.  I love places like that with the character and all of a historic building.  There's a big patio on the side that makes a nice place to sit too. There was quite a crowd there!  You go in and place your order at the counter, then they bring your food to you (this was the lunch hour.)  You can see straight into the kitchen from the counter, so I did get to see Kelsey and her team preparing the food.   

There was a 3-layer chocolate cake with strawberry frosting on the bakery side of the counter, so I had to have a piece of that!  It was delicious.  The strawberry icing was light and not too sweet.  It was just right!  And they were very generous with the slice of cake too.  It was enough for both me and Mr. Chat to share.   I ordered the croque monsieur.  Mr. Chat ordered a burger (he's not very adventurous in these matters.)   Honestly, I had never heard of a croque monsieur until I watched TC, so I thought I'd give it a try (apparently I am unsophisticated in these things!)  It was delicious too, but a little rich for me.   I got mine without the egg on top.  The ham was tender and delicious, as well as the cheese on top.  It was cooked just right.  Mr. Chat's burger was good too.  It had gouda cheese on it and the usual toppings.   The portions were not skimpy, so we both left very full.   There's a Po'boy sandwich on the menu that I'd like to try.  All of the food we saw coming out of the kitchen looked delicious.  

I'm sorry that I can't give you the Tom or Padma version of a critique, but I'm just your average Joe cook who does enjoy good food, and it was delicious.  I wish her and all of her teammates much success in the future.  I heard the cashier tell the people in front of me that they were enjoying all of the people watching the show and then coming in to try their restaurant.  

Edited by ChitChat
  • Love 15