Type keyword(s) to search

The Chefs/Cheftestants of Top Chef

• Start Topic

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am SO overdue on this (story of my life) but was out in LA for a few days in September (nothing special, just my daughter's birthday and her WEDDING) and for her birthday dinner we went to Nightshade (Mei Lin's restaurant) and it was ... not to sound like a boomer or whatever here ... EPIC. With four of us there (Mr. Snappy and me, Little Snappy and Hubby Little Snappy who ROCKS), we got to try everything ... the deservedly acclaimed shrimp toast was awesome BUT for me, the guava sorbet-white chocolate dessert was possibly The Best Thing I've Ever Eaten. I think it had me in tears from awesome.

• Love 12

That is indeed a shitty little kitchen.  I laughed out loud when she said she was setting the oven at 400, because on that thing, it could mean anywhere from 325 to 500.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

Isaac Toups' restaurant has been giving away free and lower cost family meals. A week or so ago, he asked if there were any toy companies willing to donate to the meals and they did. Now, he is giving away some Easter baskets. I know he was selling discounted gift cards to people in the area who wish to come back when quarantine is over and local business have been donating food and money, but I haven't seen him asking for public funding. He may have and I missed it, but he has asked for other local businesses to donate if they could and they have:

Three slides:

Edit: After posting, I see there are options to donate on the second IG if you wish.

Edited by Christina
Added paragraph.
  • Love 11
13 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

That guy has kind of a Gene Wilder look going on.

Oh my gosh! It's Willie Wonka hair! One of my favorite movies ever (the Gene Wilder version, of course).

ETA: he is super cute!

Edited by Ashforth
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

Kelsey Barnard Clark will be able to reopen her restaurant, and bakery Monday, with proper seating limits, of course.       She's also going to be a guest on next Thursday's episode, if I can believe my lying cable guide.  

• Love 4

Kevin Gillespie has written a Facebook post on his own racism. 

It is embedded here, but if you have difficulty seeing it in full, clicking on it will take you directly to it on FB.

• Love 11

Maybe I'm just feeling anti-Kevin, so while it appears self-aware, it also seems self-serving. Did he write it because like so many of us, he feels angry and frustrated and as if he is helpless to create real change in the world? Or did he write it because he talked up "plantation" food and knows he could be in for a backlash for his restaurant?

I don't know. And maybe the purity of the sentiment behind what he wrote doesn't matter all that much as long as he puts it into action. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 15
(edited)

It is a start....and sometimes we have to take things at face value.  I hope that all people are taking a look at their actions and asking themselves if they have been fair and open to others, and if not what the underlying reasons are.   This just a mess and a lot of pain all around. 

Edited by catrice2
  • Love 13
On 6/1/2020 at 11:23 PM, BlackberryJam said:

Maybe I'm just feeling anti-Kevin, so while it appears self-aware, it also seems self-serving. Did he write it because like so many of us, he feels angry and frustrated and as if he is helpless to create real change in the world? Or did he write it because he talked up "plantation" food and knows he could be in for a backlash for his restaurant?

I don't know. And maybe the purity of the sentiment behind what he wrote doesn't matter all that much as long as he puts it into action. 

I can usually tell when it’s a PR or not, but this seems actually genuine and I, glad he is recognizing his shortcomings. He’s not a bad guy, and compared to statements from others who’ve been caught with ignorant comments, I can see that he actually seems sorry.

But, that’s just me. 

• Love 11

Chef Gregory Gourdet's Back Injury Was Much Worse Than We Saw on TV

Excerpt from Bravo's The Daily Dish:

"Hours before we got on the plane for the Top Chef finals in Italy I had a debilitating spasm that had me limping and pushing through. I had another one halfway into the first quickfire in Lucca two days later," he wrote. "The next 24 hours was a rotation of medics, doctors and chiropractors giving me shots in my butt, adjustments and pain meds so I could just make it through the truffle challenge. I could barely walk during the truffle hunt and the grocery shop."

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, ProudMary said:

Chef Gregory Gourdet's Back Injury Was Much Worse Than We Saw on TV

Excerpt from Bravo's The Daily Dish:

"Hours before we got on the plane for the Top Chef finals in Italy I had a debilitating spasm that had me limping and pushing through. I had another one halfway into the first quickfire in Lucca two days later," he wrote. "The next 24 hours was a rotation of medics, doctors and chiropractors giving me shots in my butt, adjustments and pain meds so I could just make it through the truffle challenge. I could barely walk during the truffle hunt and the grocery shop."

I used to have some pretty debilitating back problems when I was younger so I can appreciate Gregory's pain. For him to try and work through that is commendable.   

• Love 4
6 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I'm wondering if Gregory was brought back as a Sous Chef for one of the others for the finale?   He probably wasn't able to get much recuperation time. 

Doesn’t he say in that Bravo article that post-elimination, he basically spent three days in bed unable to move and then flew home, so the show may have given him a break in that regard. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 6/5/2020 at 10:34 PM, biakbiak said:

Brooke and her husband decide to permanently close one of their restaurants. 

Oh, noes! I freaking love the Tripel burger. 😥

Bruce Kalman, who I barely remember, plans to open an Italian restaurant in Las Vegas. And he picked a terrible location, because even though it's in an affluent area Tivoli Village is where restaurants go to die. Not exaggerating, the number of restaurants that have gone out of business just at that one shopping center is in the double digits, including Elizabeth Blau and Kim Canteenwalla. Note the linked article is from 2016, and the three chain restaurants mentioned have themselves all closed since. Oh, Alex Stratta tried there too and had to close.

Stephanie's success made me want to learn more about her "private chef business." I was surprised that I couldn't even find a web page or any other references. I was mostly curious how a business like that works; what it costs, etc.

Maybe she just works by word of mouth, but it seems she's got a big opportunity here.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, dleighg said:

Maybe she just works by word of mouth, but it seems she's got a big opportunity here.

Pre pandemic she was mostly cooking for one family with an awesome apartment. 

• Love 1

Still gutted about Gregory and almost literally feel his pain ... have suffered from similar issues since 2009 when, coincidentally, it first occurred mildly after a transatlantic flight but after 3-hour drive towards end of vacation, it cannonballed and my back blew as I got out of car at hotel. I had heard back issues were bad but had no idea until I experienced it  

Spent last few days of trip flat on my back on cot while hubby and daughter did France things. Luckily in those days you could get codeine OTC but with Gregory’s situation I know he couldn’t/wouldn’t take meds of that sort. 

11 years later it’s still a chronic issue (I’d say 2-3 times a year where I’m “grounded”) and finally diagnosed as degenerative osteoarthritis in 3 different spots in my spine.

Sigh for sweet Gregory. I believe he’d have won it all. 

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

When do we find out who won Fan Favorite this year, does anyone know?

Typically they announce it on WWHL after the finale. Tom and Padma are the guests. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Typically they announce it on WWHL after the finale. Tom and Padma are the guests. 

1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

Yup. Padma and Tom are the scheduled guests for WWHL on Thursday.

Cool, thanks to both of you. I thought that was how it worked and asked my TiVo to record it but wanted to confirm.

Additional comments this afternoon on Kevin Gillespie's Facebook page, on the All Stars' season, on his physical and mental health battles to survive, along with an apology and other comments. Embedded here, but you can click on it and you'll go directly to the FB post.

• Love 7
(edited)

Melissa won Fan Favorite, and she's donating the $10,000 prize to three different organizations: The Trevor Project, Black Visions Collective, and an Asian-focused organization I unfortunately cannot remember the name of (because, unlike the other two, I wasn't familiar with it when she said it).

She is aces (she made the "Carne!" dude cry over how great her tiramisu was, come on).  I am so happy for her.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 12

I just figured out that I had mistaken Kevin for Joshua, who was in the same season as Sheldon. When y'all would post about his being in the Las Vegas season, it sounded off, but I didn't give it too much thought. And I always thought of Josh as such a nice guy so whenever Kevin would act like a dick it threw me. Why? Because he wasn't Josh! 

Sheesh! 

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Thank you for sharing that.  I never knew that Leah came from so close to my home turf.  I lost my Dad in NYC to Coronavirus on April 5th - same thing, he died alone, only I was over 100 miles away in a different state.  He was this happy, optimistic half-Jewish 92 year old guy who never lost his sunny outlook on life.  My dad's story was very similar to her dad's.  The doctors thought he was getting better.  He fought the virus for a week before he took a sudden turn for the worse and died.  She was very fortunate to be able to have any kind of funeral.  My dad's ashes are still in a funeral home in the Bronx waiting for me to collect them, whenever that will be.  One day I will have a memorial gathering for him.  Like Leah's dad, he was loved by many people.  I hope she is able to reopen her restaurant to honor him.

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

Thank you for sharing that.  I never knew that Leah came from so close to my home turf.  I lost my Dad in NYC to Coronavirus on April 5th - same thing, he died alone, only I was over 100 miles away in a different state.  He was this happy, optimistic half-Jewish 92 year old guy who never lost his sunny outlook on life.  My dad's story was very similar to her dad's.  The doctors thought he was getting better.  He fought the virus for a week before he took a sudden turn for the worse and died.  She was very fortunate to be able to have any kind of funeral.  My dad's ashes are still in a funeral home in the Bronx waiting for me to collect them, whenever that will be.  One day I will have a memorial gathering for him.  Like Leah's dad, he was loved by many people.  I hope she is able to reopen her restaurant to honor him.

Condolences, Yeah No. I hope you’ll have the opportunity to memorialize him as you’d like before too long.

• Love 5
28 minutes ago, caitmcg said:

Condolences, Yeah No. I hope you’ll have the opportunity to memorialize him as you’d like before too long.

Thank you!  So do I although I don't know yet when I'll be OK with going down there to retrieve him much less have any kind of gathering.  NYC is still in earlier phases of reopening than most places in the country and non-essential businesses haven't even reopened yet.  I hear they will early next month, though.  I would do something virtual but my dad was 92 and a lot of the people he knew wouldn't be able to do any kind of zoom thing, plus even finding some of them to let them know about his death hasn't been that easy especially from 100 miles away and with them all at home and not meeting each other to spread the word about it either.

• Love 4