Type keyword(s) to search

The Chefs/Cheftestants of Top Chef

• Start Topic

More competitive shows. Bobby Flay has a new one called Bobby’s Triple Threat which features several TC chefs.

At the start of each episode, one competitor enters Bobby’s secret kitchen ready to vie with Tiffany DerryMichael Voltaggio and Brooke Williamson in three head-to-head rounds. In the first two rounds, Flay picks the main ingredients that the chefs must emphasize, while the competitor selects which titan to compete against. The last round features the competitor picking the ingredients to incorporate, while going against the last remaining titan. All the while, one discerning guest judge blind taste tests the dishes at the end of every round. If the competitor can out-cook the titans and earn more points with their cumulative score, they take home bragging rights over the titans, earning the cash prize.

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Washington Post names Kwame's My America one of their 10 favorite cookbooks of the year.

This year, Onwuachi released his first full-fledged cookbook, “My America,” which, as the title suggests, looks at the world of cooking through the chef’s own colorful, multicultural prism. His America embraces both Louisiana jambalaya and Nigerian jollof rice — and can even trace the line between the two. His America reveres Creole hash browns, West African groundnut stew, Jamaican ackee and saltfish and Ethiopian doro wat. Onwuachi’s America truly marvels at the country’s melting pot, perhaps as only a millennial child of New York City can.

But Onwuachi is also a storyteller. His recipes pass along not just family history, but larger historical truths, too. “Long before kale became a bourgeois obsession,” Onwuachi writes, “it counted among the brassicas that sustained generations of Black Americans.” As Onwuachi once told me, “If a dish tells a story, it has a soul.” The dishes collected within these pages have more soul than James Brown and Leon Bridges combined.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

I've been watching Melissa King's mini-show on Hulu and I just adore her. Such a thoughtful, quiet energy. I'm impressed that she's figured out a way to make a living as a chef without the restaurant grind.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 1/25/2023 at 5:56 PM, Souris said:

Lot of cheftestants in the James Beard nominations. I’m sure I missed some, but I saw Nina for Best Chef, Damarr for Emerging Chef, and regionally, Sarah Welch, Sheldon, Lee Anne, and Keith Rhodes.

“yea!” to all of them.  I love how Sheldon can be listed as “Sheldon”, and we all know. 

• Like 7

Charlie Palmer’s Aureole at Mandalay Bay closing, to make way for a Voltaggio Brothers effort.

The “Top Chef” stars and restaurateurs are launching a new temporary restaurant called Retro by Voltaggio. During the one-year residency, the brothers will host a family-style and high-energy dining experience that aims to capture the tastes, sounds, and feelings of the 80s and 90s. “The 80s and 90s saw unforgettable moments in music, fashion, movies, TV shows, food, and countless trends that swept the nation,” said Michael Voltaggio. “With Retro, we will celebrate that nostalgia in every element of the experience while putting our spin on beloved dishes from the era.”...they share that the menu at Retro will have new takes on Caesar salad, shrimp cocktail, pot roast, lobster Thermidor, and other classics. It also promises a themed cocktail list, entertainment, art pieces, and soundtracks of the 80s and 90s. 

Anything on the Strip is already out of my price range, but I'm not enticed by this concept. 

• Like 5

I'm so surprised I haven't checked in on this channel/thread lately because Top Chef is my absolute favorite show.  Meanwhile, my son lives in Portland so we are trying to create a big resy/hullabaloo at Kann.  (To be clear, not a problem! We just want to go there with all of my son's friends/our common Top Chef fans!)  Also meanwhile: I think it goes without saying that many of us miss Fati and are very saddened how she passed.  She was so accomplished.  Buying the book below:

October 8, 2022

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/07/books/review/savor-fatima-ali.html

• Like 3

Promos are now running for Nat Geo's Restaurants at the End of the World, featuring Kristen Kish. Premieres Tuesday, March 21. 

RESTAURANTS AT THE END OF THE WORLD follows Chef Kish as she searches for the secret ingredients – people, places, culture and traditions – within the world’s most remote restaurants in Boquete, Panama; Svalbard, Norway; North Haven Island, Maine; and Paraty, Brazil.

Looks interesting. 

• Like 7
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 4/1/2023 at 2:41 PM, dleighg said:

Kristen Kish has a show on Nat Geo channel called Restaurants at the End of the World. I put the Svalbard episode on because we're going there in May. She was delightful and it was pretty entertaining.

https://www.natgeotvpressroom.com/titles/show/63caee02b17e066a28c45a2f

Thanks for the heads up on this one. I haven't watched it yet, but I plan to this weekend. Just as info to anyone interested, the show is also streaming on Hulu and Disney Plus.

Edited by ProudMary
Corrected a typo.
  • Useful 2

Buddha and Charbel are doing a joint 6-course dinner in late May at the Hard Rock Hotel in FL.  I would looove to attend that but no can do.  They are so cute together on Instagram -- seem to be good buds.  

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

Forgot to mention the Voltaggio Brothers' one year residency, Retro at Mandalay Bay is now open. Still not a fan of the concept. 

Retro is incredibly fun and a little bit weird. Still, it's also a deeply personal project for the Voltaggio brothers, who grew up in middle-class Maryland and became a consistent presence on television cooking shows with a series of acclaimed restaurants, among them the newly opened Vulcania in Mammoth Lakes, California. Retro takes a look into the past in order to celebrate the accomplishments of today and how far the Voltaggios have come. Even the napkins are an Easter egg of sorts, folded in the same manner as the ones at the Holiday Inn that gave both brothers their first kitchen jobs.

16 minutes ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Forgot to mention the Voltaggio Brothers' one year residency, Retro at Mandalay Bay is now open. Still not a fan of the concept. 

It sounds quite gimmicky, but they're both terrific chefs, so it might instead be a fun, delicious experience. 

My issue is so many of the dishes they're updating are things I do not like the traditional versions of -- deviled eggs, pot roast, corn dogs, green bean casserole, Spaghetti-O's (I don't even like real spaghetti, never mind the shit in a can) -- or am "eh, I'll happily eat it if served to me, but would never order it in a restaurant" about -- pasta primavera, chicken and dumplings, chicken pot pie -- that even if I was in Vegas (which I hardly ever am anymore), I doubt this is where I'd choose to spend my money. 

Looking at their menu, it's not at all something that has me thinking "Oh, I want this!  Or this!  But, wait, this!"  None of the starters excite me, so if I was with a couple of people, maybe we could share the ceviche to start depending on portion size.  Then either the caesar or caprese depending on time of year as the salad and lobster thermidor as our entree.  I'd definitely want to hear about the vegetable du jour side dish. 

But I'm just not clamoring to see what they do with anything on the menu, and several things I have zero interest in.

• Like 3

NGL, there are things at Retro I would totally try because the idea of Crap Nouveau cuisine is kind of amusing. And the Volts being Gen-Xers, at least we're spared, like, elevated aspics. But yeah, this is like a menu assembled from Quickfires. The sillier ones. I think the success of this project hinges on how drunk a clientele they can attract.

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
12 hours ago, PhoneCop said:

I think the success of this project hinges on how drunk a clientele they can attract.

Yeah, what they really better elevate are those drinks.  And, that linked article says they do:

At first glance, the cocktails wouldn't look out of place on a TGI Fridays's menu 40 years ago. However, mixologist Josh Cross, a longtime collaborator with the Voltaggios, gives the recipes a modern makeover to match today's standards and preferences.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Bastet said:

lobster thermidor 

Which looks to actually be a crab dish with lobster jus, so …eh.

I can appreciate elevated comfort food as a thing, but their concept sounds like elevated for elevated's sake, and not half as witty as they pretend. If I’m going to Las Vegas and spending on a meal with a certain level of refined technique, I’m not attracted to their concept. But LV is a place thick on gimmicky attractions, so I can see tourists leaning into theirs, along with the Voltaggio name.

• Like 1

Lifetime movie Danger Below Deck cast list and characters explored (sportskeeda.com)

Kwame plays the role of Carl in crappy Lifetime movie Danger Below Deck.  I didn't know he was interested in acting.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 2
On 6/3/2023 at 2:20 PM, Salacious Kitty said:

Looks to be fully booked. Congratulations to Ali!

I've been to the restaurant that's hosting. I thought it was quite good. My niece really liked the vegan options. My son was less impressed as he got his meal a full 15 minutes after everyone else in our party.

I kind of wish I'd splurged, but it was sold out before I even got the email! I guess a lot of my neighbors also watch the show.

(edited)

Big night at the Beard's for Top Chef Alums

Kann from Gregory Gourdet, which started out in Restaurant Wars, was named best new restaurant.

Demarr Brown from Houston season was named Emergingr Chef.

Edited by AriAu
  • Like 3
  • Applause 7
  • Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, AriAu said:

Big night at the Beard's for Top Chef Alums

Kann from Gregory Gourdet, which started out in Restaurant Wars, was named best new restaurant.

Fantastic news!!  Both superb, talented guys -- so happy for both Gregory and Damarr!

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Like 3
2 hours ago, AriAu said:

Yes it did. Where, imo, it should have won. Oh well, much bigger win here. Congratulations, Gregory! It was wonderful to see him and his team. (Search James Beard Awards on YouTube. Warning: Winners have a 2:00 minute speech time limit, which is never enforced;-)

• Love 2

Yes it did. Where, imo, it should have won.

I'm confused-Kann did win Restaurant Wars that season.....and Melissa King won the whole thing on one of the biggest hot streaks in TC history?

On 6/6/2023 at 6:02 PM, buttersister said:

Your memory is better than mine, AriAu. I thought Kevin's restaurant won, but now I realize the reason it stuck was that it sent Kevin home (yay!). I feel even better now. Thanks.

Yes, Kevin's restaurant Plantation was a mess and one of the worst misfires in Top Chef history.

• Like 3

Dawn Burrell has parted ways with the Lucille Hospitality Group in Houston (led by chef and entrepreneur Chris Williams who is doing some incredible things here) and is now also not opening the new restaurant called Late August.  No word on why or what she is doing instead.  it was in our Business Journal which is subscription only so I can’t really link the article.  

• Sad 1
  • Useful 3
On 6/6/2023 at 8:38 AM, AriAu said:

So late last year, my friends (who know what a Top Chef crazy head I am) took me to Virtue for my birthday.  It is in the Hyde Park area of Chicago, where the original Columbian Exposition of 1893 took place, and the Museum of Science and Industry remains, and the University of Chicago.  It's quite hopping now.  Anyhoo, the food was exceptional.  We shared many dishes and among other wonderful things, I don't think I've ever had such a succulent pork chop.  I used to hate them because my mother put them in casseroles and they would be the toughest cut of meat you could imagine, but this was delectable.  Also, I was with people who don't drink and the non-alcoholic cocktails/mocktails were also delicious and satisfying.  Oh: point of this story, Damarr was expediting, and it was fun to watch his expertise!

• Like 5
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

In case you were wondering...

'Top Chef' winner Gabe Erales opening new restaurant Bacalar, adjoining Tómalo Taqueria
Hannah Ortega   May 16, 2023
https://www.statesman.com/story/entertainment/dining/2023/05/16/bacalar-austin-restaurant-opens-summer-2023-mexico-tomalo-taqueria-chef-gabe-erales-urbanspace/70209036007/

‘Top Chef’ Contestants Speak Out on How Bravo Handled Austin Chef Gabe Erales’s Controversial Win
by Nadia Chaudhury  Mar 10, 2023
https://austin.eater.com/2023/3/10/23634167/top-chef-gabe-erales-allegations-new-york-times

• Useful 1
On 7/14/2023 at 11:56 PM, Daisychain said:

So late last year, my friends (who know what a Top Chef crazy head I am) took me to Virtue for my birthday.  It is in the Hyde Park area of Chicago, where the original Columbian Exposition of 1893 took place, and the Museum of Science and Industry remains, and the University of Chicago.  It's quite hopping now.  

Also where the Obamas have their Chicago manse. 

• Like 1

Just watched the finale of a tournament on Chopped between Sarah and Hosea.  Sarah won $50,000 and kept her Southern point of view throughout.  I think it may have been played after Top Chef because she referenced her daughters.  Wasn't Top Chef very soon after she gave birth?

• Like 2