Type keyword(s) to search

The Chefs/Cheftestants of Top Chef

• Start Topic

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the report, MerBearHou.  Very interesting.  And it confirms that Chris is the nice guy he seemed to be.  I wish I were closer to NYC.

• Love 3
On 3/15/2018 at 9:52 PM, MerBearHou said:

his plans to cook with Tyler at his restaurant in Simsbury, CT soon

would love to know more about this; is within a "little mini vacation" distance from me, and I've thought about trying Tyler's restaurant already--

1 hour ago, dleighg said:

would love to know more about this; is within a "little mini vacation" distance from me, and I've thought about trying Tyler's restaurant already--

I just noticed on Chris’s Instagram that it is this Sunday, 3/25 when he will be in Connecticut, cooking at Tyler’s.  It is a benefit for Fatima and just some fun chef friends cooking together.  If you go, report back!

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, MerBearHou said:

just noticed on Chris’s Instagram that it is this Sunday, 3/25 when he will be in Connecticut, cooking at Tyler’s.  It is a benefit for Fatima and just some fun chef friends cooking together.  If you go, report back!

thanks but we have tickets for an event in NYC so getting to Hartford is out of the question. Oh well......

16 minutes ago, dleighg said:

thanks but we have tickets for an event in NYC so getting to Hartford is out of the question. Oh well......

Have a great time - thankfully no snowstorms in NYC this weekend!  Perhaps they’ll do this another time.  If you make it to Simsbury and Millwright’s at some point, let us know your thoughts.

53 minutes ago, LeighLeigh said:

Pea purée: I am watching season 7. Just got to the episode where Alex used Ed’s pea purée. Was this a big deal at the time? How did he get away with it?

One or America's enduring mysteries...

• Love 2
1 hour ago, LeighLeigh said:

Just got to the episode where Alex used Ed’s pea purée. Was this a big deal at the time?

The Case of the Purloined Pea Puree was a big deal in discussion, but I don't remember if it was a big deal on the show.  (I know it was an issue raised, but not how much of one.)

• Love 2
On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 6:52 PM, MerBearHou said:

I had the immense pleasure of dining at Chris’  Butterfunk Kitchen tonight.

MerBearHou, your review of Butterfunk and conversation with Chris was the most interesting, informative, entertaining post I've read on any forum in a long time.  Please visit and review more! 

• Love 4
32 minutes ago, Lura said:

MerBearHou, your review of Butterfunk and conversation with Chris was the most interesting, informative, entertaining post I've read on any forum in a long time.  Please visit and review more! 

Lura, that is so, so kind of you.  It was a great night to describe.  Thank you!!

• Love 3
(edited)

For fans of Iron Chef Gauntlet: two competitors are Top Chef winners. Dale Mackay won season one of Top Chef Canada. Nicole Gomes competed in season 3, came back for redemption and won Top Chef Canada All-Stars.

As for personality, Dale is smart, competitive and quite “me, myself and I”. He’s got a great pedigree, but not that likeable. On the other hand, Nicole is a hoot. She was nick-named the Tasmanien Devil on Top Chef Canada. She’s always sweating and swearing and is a joy to watch. 

I wish them both luck, but really hope that Nicole Gomes wins. 

P.S. Top Chef Canada is a Food Network Canada show, so they are allowed to talk about it on Gauntlet. 

Edited by LeighLeigh
  • Love 1

Michael Voltaggio is judging on BBF right now.  He is several years younger than he appeared to be on Top Chef and lacks those hideous neck tattoos.  Without them, he is a good-looking guy.  Wonder who's awful idea they were?

• Love 1

I saw Brother on a rerun of Chopped last night. He didn’t win, and when they uncovered his dish and told him why he was chopped.... not a word. Not a “thank you for the opportunity”.... hugged the other guy and stalked off. Rude as hell.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

I saw Brother on a rerun of Chopped last night. He didn’t win, and when they uncovered his dish and told him why he was chopped.... not a word. Not a “thank you for the opportunity”.... hugged the other guy and stalked off. Rude as hell.

I got that same vibe from him during TC.  His attitude on LCK was really offputting and I was happy he didn't make his way back in.  He said something like "This is MY kitchen..." and all I could think was "Oh no sir, please take a seat."

• Love 3
21 hours ago, susannot said:

Michael Voltaggio is judging on BBF right now.  He is several years younger than he appeared to be on Top Chef and lacks those hideous neck tattoos.  Without them, he is a good-looking guy.  Wonder who's awful idea they were?

BBF?  I am drawing a blank. 

Mike Isabella is being sued for sexual harassment. Multiple other employees (besides the complainant) have supported the woman's story. Apparently he has a drinking problem and is prone to inappropriate comments and behavior.

• Love 3
On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 10:11 AM, Colleenna said:

Mike Isabella is being sued for sexual harassment. Multiple other employees (besides the complainant) have supported the woman's story. Apparently he has a drinking problem and is prone to inappropriate comments and behavior.

Who's surprised? He was a sleaze-ball going back years! Getting older and heavier wouldn't help his disposition and persona! Never cared for the guy! ;-(

• Love 9
8 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

He’s probably crying in a corner somewhere, about choking.... again... 

Poor little baby; she beat him fair and square in Top Chef then goes on to be an Iron Chef. All he managed to do is get beat in his attempt to take down an Iron Chef. So now he at times is a sous chef during a competition. Or be a judge on Top Chef.

• Love 2
(edited)

I listen to his podcast sometimes. I like when he, and other top chef alum, talk about behind-the scenes stuff.

My fave episode was the one with Gail Simmons. She went to my college and her husband is from my town. I just love her.

The podcast is called Starving for Attention with a Richard Blaise.

Edited by LeighLeigh
  • Love 1

Good lord.  He looks worse every time I see his picture.  He looks like a 70 y/o who's been living on the streets in that picture.

• Love 4
On 5/11/2018 at 2:59 PM, mlp said:

Good lord.  He looks worse every time I see his picture.  He looks like a 70 y/o who's been living on the streets in that picture.

He looks like he spends his nights at the men's shelter.

On 5/17/2018 at 2:42 PM, cooksdelight said:

Awwww....

Ehh.... Fabio's wife is shockingly ugly/unattractive and both of their instagram accounts give me hardcore secondhand embarrassment.

Did anyone else catch Fabio's assertion that Trump 'has done more for african-americans than any other president'? I don't understand why he thinks Instagram is the platform for things like that when people likely only follow him for pictures of food/selfies. It actually occurred to me that he might be trolling for attention to help promote that doppelganger crap he's been pushing.

On 4/16/2018 at 4:29 PM, LillyB said:

I wonder how Richard Blaise feels about Stephanie Izzard becoming an Iron Chef,

I never in a million years would have imagined Richard ending up where he is now ... wearing the clothes he's wearing now.... *confused face* He's doing really well and I like him ... it's just not at all what I expected.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

She does not look good, at all, in this photo from Food & Wine Classic in Aspen. And she’s sitting down....

I don’t think she is sitting down, she frequently does this squattting thing in pictures. She appears fine on a lot of their instastories.