Type keyword(s) to search

The Chefs/Cheftestants of Top Chef

• Start Topic

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who serves food in a fish bowl?  Oh yes, Tu.

Guest judge: "make a sandwich on bread."  As opposed to a sandwich on rice?

Some forgettable woman - if you want to use big words like unctuous, please use them correctly.

Risqué is not the same as risky.

Edited by Brookside
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, biakbiak said:

That's a shame, hopefully the new year and surgery imorove her prognosis. That's very sweet of Padma to come sit with during some of her chemo treatmemts. 

I know, she's one of the more talented chefs this season too.  I'm keeping her in my thoughts and prayers.

• Love 2
On 12/24/2017 at 2:32 AM, biakbiak said:

That's a shame, hopefully the new year and surgery imorove her prognosis. That's very sweet of Padma to come sit with during some of her chemo treatmemts. 

That's a big dose of bad news.   She sounds like she's handling things very well, and good for the Top Chef staff, and her fellow chefs, for supporting her through this.  I can't imagine this kind of devastating news at only 28.  I wish her all the best and a speedy recovery.

• Love 3

For those who are interested, Gregory Gourdet, Top Chef season 12 (Boston) semi-finalist, will be appearing on Iron Chef Showdown Wednesday January 3 at 9PM.

Portland's own Chef Gregory Gourdet takes on San Diego chef Brian Redzikowski over a challenging fruit.  Then the winner readies for a fowl battle with Iron Chef Michael Symon that's judged by Judy Joo and Simon Majumdar.

This warms my heart....

Along with the GM of 610 Magnolia, Lindsey Ofcacek, I am proud to announce the launch of our non-profit initiative to empower women chefs in Kentucky. It will offer mentorship and travel oportunities to young chefs in KY who will also be given the chance to cook at The James Beard Foundation.
In light of the heartbreaking stories of sexual harassment in our industry, it became clear that we had to do something more than just make a statement. I believe that, at its core, the restaurant industry is still a place of community, compassion and hospitality. And the future of our industry will rest upon the vital role of empowered women who will lead with strength, fairness and respect.
This initiative is NOT a solution to a comples and pervasive problem. This is simply an effort to do something positive. I am a male chef and I have benefited from the system, a system I did not create but nonetheless one that made my path an easier one to follow. It is time we create more paths for women in our industry.
I know this is not my story to tell. I am thankful for the voices of women who have already spoken out, especially chefs like Amanda Cohen, Lisa Donovan, Katie Button, Ashley Christensen, Dominique Crenn, Asha Gomez, Jenn Louis, Tiffani Faison and many more. I am listening. I have chosen to launch this in KY, a place that is home and where chefs like Ouita Michel and Kathy Cary have been at the forefront of our culinary arts. I hope this small but impactful initiative will help pave the way for more chefs like them.

Edward Lee

— in Louisville, Kentucky.

• Love 13
On 1/6/2018 at 7:39 AM, nitrofishblue said:

Recently there seems to be a lot of crossover of chefs. Top Chef chefs are on Chopped and Chopped chefs on Top Chef as either judges or contestants. On Chopped they are called competitive chefs.

They need to stir it up more and spit out a few. 

8 hours ago, Wings said:

They need to stir it up more and spit out a few. 

Slightly off topic but last night I was watching Chopped with my son and we got a giggle out of one of the contestants gushing that they were being judged by "the best chefs in America" (Alex G, Geoffrey Z and somebody else). Yeah I've never seen Dan Barber, Thomas Keller, or you could name 1000 other chefs judging on Chopped!

• Love 1

Any update on Fatima?  She's so sweet and funny.  Did I read right that her cancer was in her shoulder and that she's only 28?

I'm old enough to have witnessed dozens of friends and family from ages two to 80 with that f***ing demon cancer affliction.  I wish her nothing but the best.  Miracles do happen though.

Edited by spiderpig
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, spiderpig said:

Any update on Fatima?  She's so sweet and funny.  Did I read right that her cancer was in her shoulder and that she's only 28?

I'm old enough to have witnessed dozens of friends and family from ages two to 80 with that f***ing demon cancer affliction.  I wish her nothing but the best.  Miracles do happen though.

Yes, she had her surgery this past Tuesday, Padma was at the hospital before she went into surgery.  It was on the Bravo TC page, "news".  Imagine it will take a while before she posts on SM again, and of course, whether they finished her chemo pre-surgery or whether she's scheduled for more.  Cancer is an evil disease.

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, cooksdelight said:

Claudette was listed as being in season 2 of Top Chef Mexico. Which one is she? Nobody there wearing ugly glasses.

9E099223-7CE6-42A1-A574-1E342CCB8FE8.jpeg

I just watched the first episode of season 1 just to get a feel of it and that is the season 1 cast not the season 2 cast.

Here is the seaon 2 cast and she is in the back and centerish.H1A3783-1.jpg

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1

Wow she seemed a lot more reasonable in that interview than she did on the show, since I am assuming it was done after it aired maybe she has reflected on her attitude.

Edited by biakbiak

Yes, he was on it - http://www.lamag.com/digestblog/chef-katsuji-tanabe-mexikosher-back-top-chef-mexico/ (and, also, apparently, Chopped, MasterChef Mexico and Food Fighters (whatever that is)). (In the accompanying photo, he is once again pointing at the camera).

I couldn't find anything that said how he did on Top Chef Mexico, but he didn't win - this guy did:  https://foodmexicoyyo.com/en/winner-first-top-chef-mexico-proud-oaxaqueno/#

Laura Cole, the Alaskan chef, appeared on the January 21, 2018 episode of Food Paradise titled "The Last Food Frontier." It airs on Travel Channel. Unfortunately, I wasn't paying attention and didn't notice until her part was almost over, so I don't have any opinion on how well she came across. I did notice she made a reindeer ragu and it looked very good, even though I don't like reindeer. 

Remember Philip from season 13? His wife was on Best Baker in America (or America's Best Baker). She was completely out of her league and was the first one cut.

I really wonder if she was cast due to her connection to Philip. Did anyone else see that? What are your thoughts?

13 hours ago, LeighLeigh said:

Remember Philip from season 13? His wife was on Best Baker in America (or America's Best Baker). She was completely out of her league and was the first one cut.

I really wonder if she was cast due to her connection to Philip. Did anyone else see that? What are your thoughts?

Who can forget ManBun?? :)

I bet she was. And he was always going on and on about how brilliant a baker she was. LOL

I didn’t see it but I’ll be on the lookout for the rerun. 

• Love 1
14 hours ago, LeighLeigh said:

what is her name? I watched the show but can't really remember the contestants

1 hour ago, LeighLeigh said:

Her name is Margarita Maiden Name-Lee. She seemed good at baking, but everyone else was extraordinary. She was only in episode one.

I looked up her face and I have zero recollection of her!

I chanced across Top Chef Mexico some years ago when I was watching Spanish-language TV to work on my Spanish.  I saw a few of the episodes that Katsuji was on and he was basically his usual self.

I love how the Season 1 cast in that photo looks all happy and light-hearted, and Claudette's cast looks like its trying to be all bad-ass and mean.  I know that someone else chooses those photos, but it's kind of striking how appropriate it is for her.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

Who can forget ManBun?? :)

I bet she was. And he was always going on and on about how brilliant a baker she was. LOL

I didn’t see it but I’ll be on the lookout for the rerun. 

Wasn't she also a ballerina, or am I confusing her with another genius spouse?

• Love 1
On 1/27/2018 at 5:30 PM, Christina said:

Laura Cole, the Alaskan chef, appeared on the January 21, 2018 episode of Food Paradise titled "The Last Food Frontier." It airs on Travel Channel. Unfortunately, I wasn't paying attention and didn't notice until her part was almost over, so I don't have any opinion on how well she came across. I did notice she made a reindeer ragu and it looked very good, even though I don't like reindeer. 

I watched that too. I thought she came accross really well and the restaurant looks like a nice place. 

On 1/29/2018 at 4:57 PM, biakbiak said:

He talled a lot about her being a model.

Didn't he also mention that she was an actress? Of course Philip Manbun would be married to a ballerina/baker/model/actress

2 minutes ago, MaggieG said:

Didn't he also mention that she was an actress? Of course Philip Manbun would be married to a ballerina/baker/model/actress

When I looked her up because I could not remember her one little bit (I still don't recognize her) I found some articles that seemed to indicate that she was mostly a model (as I recall for some trendy/indie brand) and BTW, she also cooks!  I don't know how old the article was. Well, I wont' be lazy, here it is:

https://www.johnnywas.com/blog/margarita-kallas-lee-spotlight/2017/01/04/

5 minutes ago, dleighg said:

she also cooks

Yes, he mentioned several times that she was the pastry chef at their restaurant and used at least one of her recipes that he also had to brag was a hit at Coachella because he is that dude.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, biakbiak said:

Yes, he mentioned several times that she was the pastry chef at their restaurant and used at least one of her recipes that he also had to brag was a hit at Coachella because he is that dude.

I just meant that from the viewpoint of the article (biased of course) she was mostly a model, and BTW she cooks, isn't that amazing. We got on this topic because she was a contestant on America's Best Bakers (and was gone soon)

This is indeed awesome news.  

Side note: remember when Fatima mentioned that winning that cooking video would quadruple her Instagram followers? We know that she did not win, but she does have 10 times more followers than some other contestants.

• Love 3

Just listened to a podcast about Restaurant Wars. Jim Smith from season 14 was on. He said that the eliminated chefs on his season were put to work by the producers. They were given future quick fires to test out before they were presented to the other cheftestants.

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, LeighLeigh said:

Just listened to a podcast about Restaurant Wars. Jim Smith from season 14 was on. He said that the eliminated chefs on his season were put to work by the producers. They were given future quick fires to test out before they were presented to the other cheftestants.

Interesting!   I am curious if this was a one season thing or a standard practice.  I have always assumed all the QFs had been chosen and tested before it taped. 

Edited by Wings