Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E03: Spurgeon's First Birthday

• Start Topic

Previously TV has labelled this wrong.  TLC says that this is episode 3, not 2.  Episode 1: Joy's Wedding; Episode 2: Triple Date Night; Episode 3: Spurgeon's First Birthday.

17 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

Hoping JB has less control but who knows...

The producers are just showing the goofy side of the dunces...they have no shame of their lack of general knowledge.

Not one said...I should know this...

They all seemed okay that they lack a basic education...

Bet if you were to quiz them on the Bible they would score low...they've been spoon fed dogma and are not scholars of the good book.

Even worse, they seem proud of it.

• Love 5

I agree that Marcus should have had some blood on his shirt or something of that nature. That large and loose bandana around his head looked strange. BTW, Anna didn't take him to an ER...in her TH she said that Dr. Reardon took care of Marcus...I looked him up; he's not part of an emergency medicine practice at an ER; he's a practitioner over there associated with some type of Baptist Health/Doctor's group.

Somehow, I'm beginning to doubt that anything really happened to this boy. Perhaps it was just acting for the show. He didn't cry at all in the store, nor did he seem upset in the least. If it were my son, he'd have been screaming...I know, my son fell at home, hit under his lip and needed stitches; blood all over the place, crying, upset, etc...thankfully I lived next door to a physician's practice, so I put him in a stroller I had and ran next door quickly with him; they took him right away and fixed him up...he was still upset when I brought him home. Marcus seemed like nothing had happened to him and that he was 'wearing a funny hat". Anyone else agree?  (I had trouble with the BOLD icon; can't unbold it).

• Love 5

I doubt it was straight up staged.  But I do think that Marcus cut his head, Anna overreacted when she saw blood, and instead of admitting she was embarrassed for freaking out they made up the stitches/bandage.

• Love 2

Dr. Jill probably wrapped up his head. Maybe they had to come back to the TTH  to give Anna her car back. I assume Jessa drove Anna's vehicle back to the TTH since it had the most carseats. They still would have been one seat short though. Mack likely (illegally) held her sister on her lap for the ride while Spurgeon used her carseat. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I, too, call shenanigans on the stitches. My dare devil sons each had several head injuries when young, and the first question/comment by others is always "How many stitches?" My kids had lots of blood (We always threw out the bloody shirts) and they never had a turban. I am certain something happened, but the story seems to have been embellished.  Nowadays, a forehead may get glued,  but something is off with "Stitchgate".

Edited by jacksgirl
  • Love 3

My first memory of childhood came from when I was about 3-4. I smashed a window pane against my shin. I remember doing that and going to the ER, where I screamed my way through stitches. I still have the jagged scar on my leg to this day. If Marcus got stitched up, I assume he will also have a scar to mark the occasion. In the store, you could see him fall in the background and start to cry, so I know that he probably did hit his head, but maybe he didn't split his head open, just hit his head on the ground and had to go through concussion protocol. Something Dr. Jill could have done on site had she remembered any of her First Responder training (how long did she and Jana do that, six months?). 

Marcus did look like he's just had brain surgery with all those bandages on his head, lol. 

I sure hope they didn't put him up to lying (or even just tell him he had stitches so he would repeat it ... because let's face it,  the kid probably doesn't even understand what stitches are). 

I know one thing, though ....I am going to be checking that baby's head for a scar later. I hope it's not a big one, but there better be one there!

• Love 3
5 hours ago, floridamom said:

I agree that Marcus should have had some blood on his shirt or something of that nature. That large and loose bandana around his head looked strange. BTW, Anna didn't take him to an ER...in her TH she said that Dr. Reardon took care of Marcus...I looked him up; he's not part of an emergency medicine practice at an ER; he's a practitioner over there associated with some type of Baptist Health/Doctor's group.

Somehow, I'm beginning to doubt that anything really happened to this boy. Perhaps it was just acting for the show. He didn't cry at all in the store, nor did he seem upset in the least. If it were my son, he'd have been screaming...I know, my son fell at home, hit under his lip and needed stitches; blood all over the place, crying, upset, etc...thankfully I lived next door to a physician's practice, so I put him in a stroller I had and ran next door quickly with him; they took him right away and fixed him up...he was still upset when I brought him home. Marcus seemed like nothing had happened to him and that he was 'wearing a funny hat". Anyone else agree?  (I had trouble with the BOLD icon; can't unbold it).

Any medical doctor can do stitches and it wasn't a medical emergency, it makes sense she visited a family practice. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Joy's love message she wrote on the tile - "Austin Martyn Forsyth, I ❤ U...like soooo much!  Your sweetie, Ethyl"

1.  That looks like something a 14-year-old would write on their school notebook.  It seems no Duggar girl can form a sentence without the word like.

2.  Ethyl?  

Edited by Angeltoes
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Angeltoes said:

Joy's love message she wrote on the tile - "Austin Martyn Forsyth, I ❤ U...like soooo much!  Your sweetie, Ethyl"

1.  That looks like something a 14-year-old would write on their school notebook.  It seems no Duggar girl can form a sentence without the word like.

2.  Ethyl?  

She can't be referring the chemical. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Angeltoes said:

2.  Ethyl?  

Wtf? Like??? Like soooo much???? 

• Love 3

Long time lurker - first time poster. Hi. SAHM of a 9 month old daughter. 

In regards to Marcus and the "head cracking" incident- Anna changed his shirt. He was wearing a white polo in the shopping scenes and when they got back to the big house he was in a blue polo. I was 18 months old when I cracked my head open and needed stitches. I needed 14, my dad was losing his mind and they could only get 7 in me because of all the commotion. They wrapped my head up like that. My Mom tells the story that she stayed up next to my bed all night because she was afraid I'd wake up and all the bandages would scare me. 

I would have lost what little sense I have if my kid cracked her head open. Overall I think anna handled it well. 

• Love 7

Any medical doctor can do stitches 

But will a GP have a suture kit in their office? Are you going to let a GP suture your child's face? Wouldn't you rather have at least an ER physician, if not a plastic surgeon, who does this daily and knows what they're doing so the scarring is minimised? Oh, that's right.  It's okay for a boy. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Quof said:

But will a GP have a suture kit in their office? Are you going to let a GP suture your child's face? Wouldn't you rather have at least an ER physician, if not a plastic surgeon, who does this daily and knows what they're doing so the scarring is minimised? Oh, that's right.  It's okay for a boy. 

Where on his head was the injury? Did they say? Unless it's on his face, vs his scalp, I'd say normal stitches would be fine. My younger son has about three larger scars on his head along with a few minor bits and pieces. The most visible - one he didn't actually even get stitches for as it didn't appear to be bad enough to worry about - is through his right eyebrow. And we were right in deciding that it wouldn't leave a scar big enough to be a distraction; even when you know it's there you have to look carefully to see it. That one was from getting whacked in a face by a swing when he was about three. He has another at his hairline from running into a goalpost while playing soccer a few years ago (he was one of the goalies on his college team). He saved the shot, so it was all good in his world. Needed 11 stitches. That one is becoming visible more now as his hair is already beginning to recede at 26. The others in the "collection" are on the back of his head...it was interesting trying to remember where each one came from when he had his boot camp haircut at Officer Candidate school recently.

At any rate, I would imagine that most cuts on the scalp big enough to warrant stitches wouldn't be something necessitating a plastic surgeon's expertise...even on a guy, who might lose his hair somewhere down the line, it would probably not be something one could consider disfiguring.

4 hours ago, Quof said:

The GP should be referring patients to plastic surgeons when appropriate. 

• Love 1

The secret to getting stitches in a kid's face is plastic turtles. My youngest needed stitches in her face three times. The first time she was two or three, and they gave her a little plastic turtle each time they finished a stitch. At 19 she still remembers how much she loved those little turtles. Maybe she kept busting her face open in hopes of getting more turtles.

• Love 5
16 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I don't know. Marcus said himself, when entering the TTH - I got stitches. I hope they wouldn't have a kid straight out lie for the show.

Wouldn't be the first time...

• Love 4
On 6/20/2017 at 8:32 PM, jacksgirl said:

ginger90, every smashcake I've seen has been tiny and the birthday child is the only one who gets it. The other guests have a larger cake/dessert. Only these buffoons would serve the baby cake to guests.

I kinda saw it as they didn't make cake because Jessa didn't want cake (for everyone) so whoever wanted cake could eat off of Spurge's if they wanted to.  He spit up on himself, not the cake and they did seem to stay away from the part he poked at (or someone else because they said he didn't like touching it either)

They said because it's easier and quicker than trying to get a fussy kid to try on a bunch of shoes.

On 6/20/2017 at 9:45 PM, truthtalk2014 said:

Oh!  I almost forgot about that BS.  No one does that.  I never saw one of them pulling out the tape measure or footprints at the store (as they piled up 50 something outfits each).  At this point I wonder if Michael really fell and hurt his head or if it was all a big TLC moment. 

They did say because of the accident they weren't able to use their shoe short cut. I think all Jessa got was clothes. 

I think they did shut down that sale for them.... we have one in town a couple times a year and it's crazy on the first day.  And they don't allow kids on the first day either. Which is super nice.  I don't have kids but I went with a friend wanting to get some clothes for my new nephew (last year) and I have to say those sales are best thing ever.  I fully intend to buy my nephew's xmas gift there next year lol  

6 hours ago, Quof said:

They should.  Years ago when I was in high school and I lived in a small town I sliced my finger SUPER bad with an exacto knife.  It looked like a hot dog bun (sorry for that visual). Sliced from the tip of my finger down past the first knuckle.  I was just taken to the local family practice and they stitched me right back up (and I stupidly went back to work lol)

• Love 3
(edited)

I've got a scar in my left eyebrow from tripping over a rug and hitting my head on the corner of a table when I was seven or eight years old.  I don't remember if it bled or not, but I do know I didn't go to the ER (or doctor) and get stitches. It drives me crazy now because the few eyebrows I do have grow weird.   Not that I want Marcus to have a scar, but I would like to at least see where stitches were in the next episode. 

Edited by Lisa418722
  • Love 1

Speaking of scars on the face, it's amazing how many people seem to share a similar scar on the underside of their chin! LOL...It sometimes seems that almost everyone, at some time in their childhoods, has managed to trip over something and bust up that spot.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Kokapetl said:

The GP should be referring patients to plastic surgeons when appropriate. 

Nurse here. Yes and double yes! All of that bandaging? Come on now...Most won't touch a head cut, especially where it supposedly was.

• Love 2
59 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Yes they can. They used one when Hannie busted open her lip/chin after flipping off her bike years ago.

I thought Jim Boob once said they only do this for the girls, not the boys.

• Love 5
25 minutes ago, ariel said:

I thought Jim Boob once said they only do this for the girls, not the boys.

It was 2010, found it on the Duggar blog:

Johannah visited a plastic surgeon to sew up a major boo-boo on her face, courtesy of a biking accident. She rode over a rock on her way down a hill and took a tumble. Jim Bob shares his take on the stitches: "We figured a pretty girl like her, we need to do it right," said the father of 19, chuckling. "If it's a boy, we'd probably just let it rip as it is."

But Marcus isn't Jim Bob's child, so...........

• Love 11
On 6/22/2017 at 4:58 AM, Tdoc72 said:

It used to be you would just cut a piece of the regular birthday cake for the kid to smush, so as to not ruin the cake for everyone.  (I'm talking to you, JESSA!) Now I usually see either a very small cake or cupcake.

That was Jinger.  Jill's husband gags and vomits while exercising so I hope she wouldn't find that sexy.  But it's Jill so...who knows?

Nerd alert:

J kids birthdays--347

Parents and j kids--448

Parents, j kids, spouses (including Kendra), and grandkids--617

I can't find an age for Grandma Duggar.  Add 9 for Tyler if you want.

It wasn't that hard, Duggars.   I didn't even have to ask my helpmeet husband.

The question has to do with the number of birthday parties the family has celebrated. Adding up the ages only works for the kids and grandkids. With JB, Michelle, Grandma, and spouses, you have to add up only the years since they married. 33 years apiece for JB and Michelle, 9 for Anna, 2 or 3 for Ben and Derick, etc. This current family didn't celebrate Grandma's birthdays when she was a child, for example. Perhaps add Amy (didn't one of her birthday parties take place at the Duggar house).

On 6/23/2017 at 2:24 PM, Jynnan tonnix said:

Speaking of scars on the face, it's amazing how many people seem to share a similar scar on the underside of their chin! LOL...It sometimes seems that almost everyone, at some time in their childhoods, has managed to trip over something and bust up that spot.

My sister managed to do it twice. The doctor told my mom that if it happened again, she would definitely need to see a plastic surgeon & that was over 50 years ago. 

(edited)
14 hours ago, floridamom said:

Let's notice Marcus' forehead in future episodes and see what it looks like. Those episodes are already in the 'can', so TLC can't doctor up the video. Then we'll know for sure.

Hmm .... you don't think TLC could be bothered to pay for some computer generated imagery to phony up a little scar on Marcus's head just to cover up a fake storyline?

Yeah, you are probably right.  They are too cheap! 

Edited by Celia Rubenstein
On 6/24/2017 at 2:40 PM, ginger90 said:

It was 2010, found it on the Duggar blog:

Johannah visited a plastic surgeon to sew up a major boo-boo on her face, courtesy of a biking accident. She rode over a rock on her way down a hill and took a tumble. Jim Bob shares his take on the stitches: "We figured a pretty girl like her, we need to do it right," said the father of 19, chuckling. "If it's a boy, we'd probably just let it rip as it is."

But Marcus isn't Jim Bob's child, so...........

That is just CREEPY. Any full-grown man calling a girl "pretty girl like her" raises my hackles.

• Love 3

I wonder if the turban of gauze was done by TLC to cover the stitches for those with a weak stomach. Elder child flipped into a pool a few weeks back and well, missed the water, so off to the ER we went. She ended up with 4 stitches in her head, surrounded by hair. I never felt the need to cover it (God knows I didn't want to look at it) because her hair did the job, but I sure would have covered it in public. My guess is TLC said cover it and that was the job they did. 

• Love 1
On 6/21/2017 at 8:20 AM, heatherrrrz said:

I forgot what exactly but they were asked about Spurgeon's hair I think and they said Curly and then Moe and they forgot the either one.

Perhaps they are required to watch the Three Stooges to get their plot lines and for acting cues.

• Love 8
On 6/22/2017 at 7:20 AM, Mollie said:

Grandma Mary is 76

But it must be more complicated because no one celebrated a birthday before he/she was born. Ergo we must figure this on individual bases. We definitely need a spread sheet. 

• Love 4

OMG the mozzarella incident! Jeremy has a hard-on for finding "fresh" mozzarella so buys a whole 5-lb block. Of commercial, preservative-laced, industrial-wrapped cheese that will keep until the end of time. In a Mexican market. And they're using it in Mexican food. Plus he thinks a carrot parer is meant for shredding cheese. Really, where did these people grow up? Oh yeah...

• Love 7

I finally watched this over the weekend.  Here are my notes:

Joy and her disgusting feet again.  Not only were they on that super gross floor, they were on furniture and exactly where she was preparing food (sorbet) on the kitchen counter.  For fucks sake.  Also she needs better clothes/shoes for a construction site.  Soft shoe may = nail in the foot.  I spent a lot of time at construction sites as a kid and I would have had to sit in my dads van had I dressed like her.  Since Austin is the brains of that operation he should tell her jeans/workboots if you are going to work with me.

Seeing Anna wrangle, badly, her kids at the consignment shop tells me they need to slow their roll in the baby birthin' dept.  For the safety of all you should not have more than you have arms available to you at any given time if they are of an age that they run.  Not only for their safety but the safety of everyone in the store.  Don't want to trip on a small child while shopping.  

Math.  Clearly that was something sort of glossed over at the University of Duggar, Kitchen Table Campus.  Duggar twin, multiply really?  And you supposedly graduated?  All of em are idiots.  Maybe this will inspire you. Math will help you with your money.

Why is Jill so pale?  She was living in Danger America where the sun shines and is quite tropical.  She always looks clammy to me.  Random judgement, I want Anastasia to get hold of her brows.  A proper shape would open her eyes more.  Second random judgement, Jill antidepressants might take away that flat affectation and make you feel life again.  Just a suggestion.

Jinger is way horny for babe.  Hopefully they have an exciting love life and get to enjoy it before the baby train starts.  The fajitas looked good.  Jinger needs to speak up more strongly when she has an opinion.  Piano bench for example.  

Gwen in pants!  She seems like a nice lady.  While I disagree with Ben on probably almost everything, he seems like a nice boy.

Is Jackson ever going to not seem/act 9?  He's 13.  Smuggar was courting at 14.  Maybe its just me but Jackson seems stunted.  Just like Josie acts/seems much younger than 7.  But what do I know.  I don't have kids.

Jessa may have lightened up after becoming a mom.  Good thing.  It may be the heat or I am losing my mind but here I go.  I might think a Jinger/Babe show would be fascinating provided they DO hold off on babies for 5 years.  

• Love 5

No reason why Jackson is still grouped in with the 4 little girls. He needs to step up with his older brothers. He was a weird one from the start and he was/is annoying to me.

Joy could hardly bend over in that silly skirt. She was bending her knees and reaching down if I remember. She desperately needs a pair of JEANS that fit properly and proper construction shoes. She also needs to get her hair up and out of the way under a HAT when working heavy equipment like a tile cutter.

• Love 7

So Joy can do typically masculine work like construction but can't wear "masculine" clothes like pants. I'm confused as to why one is defrauding but not the other.  Never mind, logical consistency is not a hallmark of fundie thinking. 

• Love 15
On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 11:39 AM, orangeiguana said:

OMG the mozzarella incident! Jeremy has a hard-on for finding "fresh" mozzarella so buys a whole 5-lb block. Of commercial, preservative-laced, industrial-wrapped cheese that will keep until the end of time. In a Mexican market. And they're using it in Mexican food. Plus he thinks a carrot parer is meant for shredding cheese. Really, where did these people grow up? Oh yeah...

Jeremy is supposed to be the " smart one".  Good luck with that.  He's as dumb as a box of rocks.

• Love 7

I don't know. Jeremy's talking a good game, but his wife has been indoctrinated all her life that her role is to pump out babies. Jinger is going to be constantly hammered with the "are you pregnant yet?" questions from her parents and siblings. Didn't Jill ask her that on this episode? I believe that the pressure on Jinger from her family won't let up. I hope JereME will be sensitive enough to her mental state to be supportive, after the honeymoon stage of their marriage is over and Jinger's family of origin continues its nonstop inquisition about the state of her uterus. 

Well, there's two types of pressure from the family now.   First, it was the way she was raised; she knows she is expected to have kids.  Second is the pressure to have kids to keep TLC filming.  If no one is getting married and no one has any more babies, the show would go away because these people just aren't that interesting.  And the pressure is now on Joy as well.  I am enjoying the fact that both Jill and Jessa have two boys in the two oldest spots.  Here's hoping their first 5 children are boys so they won't have the benefit of girl slaves like M did.  Off to prayer closet...........

• Love 11
22 hours ago, Twopper said:

I am enjoying the fact that both Jill and Jessa have two boys in the two oldest spots.  Here's hoping their first 5 children are boys so they won't have the benefit of girl slaves like M did.  Off to prayer closet...........

If they keep having babies, I hope they keep having boys.

• Love 11

I think Jeremy should sit the Duggars down, ALL OF THEM, and explain that they won't be having a baby every year beginning with THIS year. He should let them know he would like a much smaller family, if that is the case, and ask them to please stay out of it. When they have an 'announcement', they'll let them know for sure...

• Love 3
(edited)

The collective Duggar brain trust (it would fit in a thimble) would not comprehend nor entertain the thought that a pregnancy is not expected with every ejaculation...

So if Jinge is not pregnant in a timely manner they assume that his or her plumbing is not working..

Not that Jinge/Pastor are blocking the Pastor's swimmers or making it hormonally unfriendly to sustain a pregnancy.

Edited by humbleopinion
  • Love 3