Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E03: Spurgeon's First Birthday

• Start Topic

56 minutes ago, floridamom said:

and ask them to please stay out of it. When they have an 'announcement', they'll let them know for sure...

Perhaps the 6 months of no visitors, and not traveling to Arkansas, was supposed to help with this. But, of course it didn't. 

(edited)

On the behalf of rocks everywhere...WTF...we're smarter than that dopey preacher...who buys a 5 pound block of mozzarella and thinks it is "fresh"????

No one in their right mind puts mozza on fajitas...he's a putz...estupido...

Edited by humbleopinion
  • Love 6
(edited)
On 6/23/2017 at 1:24 PM, Jynnan tonnix said:

Speaking of scars on the face, it's amazing how many people seem to share a similar scar on the underside of their chin! LOL...It sometimes seems that almost everyone, at some time in their childhoods, has managed to trip over something and bust up that spot.

I bet my chin scar is worse than your chin scar! I broke my damn jaw when I got mine, and I bit my tongue severely, too. And yes, I'm weirdly proud of that. 

I'm not a fan of overly expensive, Pinteresty parties for children, but that was the jankiest first bday party ever...and it made me sick that Spurgeon's own parents couldn't be bothered to head it up. And giving a 1-year-old a full sized cake to destroy was beyond stupid. If he'd torn it apart it would have been a colossal waste.

Edited by Portia
  • Love 7

I bet my kidney operation scar is worse. I was hit by a car the day before my fourth birthday causing a small laceration in my left kidney. My scar looks like I was cut in half. A few doctors have seen the scar and got a little freaked out, so yes, my scar is a thing of beauty. It looks worse than my husband's kidney transplant scar where his looks like they took out an organ leaving a small scar instead of  him getting a new kidney. One doctor asked me if I was the one who got the transplant instead of my husband after seeing my scar.

And I am so glad I do not have cable right now because I would be tempted on watching the new episodes. I could watch them on youtube, but I can only stomach about five minutes before my eyes roll out of my head, and my ears say no more please.

13 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

I was ready to scream each time the word "transport" was used. Just like the previous episode with "triple date". Couldn't anyone just say, going out to dinner? 

They used it a million times in the new baby episode too.  Endless repeating of hoping that Jessa wouldn't need to "trasport to the hospital again".

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, BetyBee said:

They used it a million times in the new baby episode too.  Endless repeating of hoping that Jessa wouldn't need to "trasport to the hospital again".

That's the episode thread I thought I was in, lol! Ooooops!

• Love 1

Question: when someone is "transported" by ambulance to a hospital, who pays for that service? Were Jessa and Ben billed for Spurge's birth's ambulance ride? Does medical insurance cover it according to your plan? If the Seewalds had no insurance, do they pay for the whole charge? I understand this service is very expensive and considered a private service.

(edited)

Jessa was so fortunate to have a much shorter labor this time, but that will probably mean that she expects the same next pregnancy and will continue to have babies at a clip that will make Michelle proud.  I, too, hope that they are all boys so that maybe she and Ben will slow down with no immediate extra help in the house. 

Edited by Absolom
  • Love 4

I think every jurisdiction is different regarding ambulance ride. In the county where I live, the patient's insurance is billed & the patient is never billed for anything insurance doesn't cover.  I know from experience. I don't know how it works for our non-insured patients but I don't think they  are billed.  I guess the approx $700 charge that is paid by the insurance companies covers the non paying patients.

(edited)
6 hours ago, ginger90 said:

I was ready to scream each time the word "transport" was used. Just like the previous episode with "triple date". Couldn't anyone just say, going out to dinner? 

If you are married, I think the term "going out on a date" is pompous & silly.  I also think the term "we're pregnant" is too, unless you are a lesbian couple & both of you are pregnant at the same time.   

Edited by ariel
  • Love 14
1 hour ago, ariel said:

If you are married, I think the term "going out on a date" is pompous & silly.  I also think the term "we're pregnant" is too, unless you are a lesbian couple & both of you are pregnant at the same time.   

I am so with you on the "we're pregnant" (unless both women in the relationship are pregnant) is ridiculous. No dumbass, the male partner isn't pregnant! A man can say "we are expecting a baby" or some variation there of but no, don't claim pregnancy when you're not pregnant!

• Love 11

I watch this with my six-year-old and she was like, Duh, I can put on a birthday party for a one-year-old… Or use a vegetable peeler every day and know it's not a cheese grater… We see mozzarella cheese every day… We make lunch for ourselves and eat it… Why is this a show? 

Love how Jeremy said Jinger is right in the next room while he's working in his office, so he can just pop out anytime and give her a – kiss. Yes, I'm sure!  ;)

Seems super boring for Jinger to sit around a small apartment all day. she was saying even laundry which she enjoys, takes about five minutes a couple times a week for the two of them. Sounds excruciating. 

I was encouraged that Jeremy did mention working in the community and meeting with people in addition to his 30 to 40 hours a week sitting on his butt reading and studying for his sermons. 

• Love 4

I occasionally use a vegetable peeler for cheese, usually Parmesan, to get flakes of cheese that are wider than you get from a grater, but thinner than what I can slice.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, kalamac said:

I occasionally use a vegetable peeler for cheese, usually Parmesan, to get flakes of cheese that are wider than you get from a grater, but thinner than what I can slice.

Imagine slivering 5 kilos of cheese. 

• Love 5

Why did they buy such a big ass block of mozzarella? From what I've seen, Jinger cooks nothing but quasi-Mexican, and Mozz is not a cheese you use in Latin cooking. That thing is probably shoved in the back of the fridge, covered in mold as we speak. 

• Love 1

In the south many people substitute mozzarella for Oaxaca cheese.  It is very similar.  I prefer mozzarella as oaxaca cheese is rather dry.  And yes it is used in mexican food but is sounds more like mexican food when you say oaxaca cheese.

• Love 4
(edited)

Just for fun ;), I watched the portion where the M kid fell in the consignment store.  I noticed that Anna was so  (not) upset that she didn't even put down the armful of clothes she was holding.  The sound guy looked like he wanted to kill himself for being part of such a joke of a scene.  Also, when Anna was carrying him to the car with the big paper towel on his head, there was no blood- on the paper towel or his clothes or Anna.  The head wrapped in gauze looked like something Jill would have done when she used to play nurse as a child. 

I'm calling fake on this whole scene.  I wonder if we will see a scar on the M kid anytime soon.  

Edited by truthtalk2014
  • Love 3

Johannah was also at the store. Someone on FJ got a screengrab of her during the whole Marcus incident wearing a very bright pink shirt, but you can't see her face. The same bright pink shirt, worn by a very visible Hannie, is seen when Marcus is brought back to the TTH. 

So, Jessa did have a helper to wrangle the other kids into whatever car she used to drive them back to the TTH (assuming Anna's car, since it had the most seats. Izzy could have used Marcus' seat (they're probably about the same size), and Spurgeon could have sat on Hannie's lap. Yeah, illegal, but what other choice did they really have other than to move Spurge's car seat into Anna's car? I doubt Jessa could be bothered with that. They have a history of disregard for safety. 

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, truthtalk2014 said:

I'm calling fake on this whole scene.  I wonder if we will see a scar on the M kid anytime soon.  

In the most recent pic of Marcus they have all his hair combed down like bangs across his forehead. I agree the scene was total bullshit. Like maybe he tripped and had a minor fall earlier and they re-created the scene to look like a lame episode of Rescue 911. 

• Love 6

Not to mention, the fall was 6 months ago. He'd barely have a scar by this point, especially if there was NO BLOOD, and it certainly wouldn't have been noticiable in that picture. 

• Love 1
(edited)
On June 20, 2017 at 6:19 AM, penbrat said:

I can't help it.  I like Jess and Jinger.  Yes, there I have said it.  The rest of them, not so much, but these two do not bug or irritate me.

Well, I am happy for you and I wish I could have some of whatever you are drinking/eating, as Jessa bugs the heck out of me. I used to really enjoy her during the 19 kids and... but ever since her engagement, I can't handle her opinion (on everything, whether she's asked or not). Jinger - who knows? She used to be the family photographer, right? If so, then she had a lot of personality before. It appears she's lost herself since finding a man.

On July 3, 2017 at 5:51 PM, truthtalk2014 said:

Just for fun ;), I watched the portion where the M kid fell in the consignment store.  I noticed that Anna was so  (not) upset that she didn't even put down the armful of clothes she was holding.  The sound guy looked like he wanted to kill himself for being part of such a joke of a scene.  Also, when Anna was carrying him to the car with the big paper towel on his head, there was no blood- on the paper towel or his clothes or Anna.  The head wrapped in gauze looked like something Jill would have done when she used to play nurse as a child. 

I can handle a bit of fake drama - it's not going to bring them any new viewers (and clearly this forum's posters are a jaded lot, lol.) I had better not hear that the Duggars are suddenly during the storie for Michael's or was it Marcus's fall. I worry sometimes what they have up their sleeve while watching their TLC money train leaving the station.

Edited by Chalby
On June 19, 2017 at 9:42 PM, Texasmom1970 said:

I am babe overload. Someone really should count and see how many times they say id during an episode.

Maybe start a drinking game with the word, babe? We'd all be drunk five minutes in.

On 7/3/2017 at 9:06 PM, Sew Sumi said:

Johannah was also at the store. Someone on FJ got a screengrab of her during the whole Marcus incident wearing a very bright pink shirt, but you can't see her face. The same bright pink shirt, worn by a very visible Hannie, is seen when Marcus is brought back to the TTH. 

So, Jessa did have a helper to wrangle the other kids into whatever car she used to drive them back to the TTH (assuming Anna's car, since it had the most seats. Izzy could have used Marcus' seat (they're probably about the same size), and Spurgeon could have sat on Hannie's lap. Yeah, illegal, but what other choice did they really have other than to move Spurge's car seat into Anna's car? I doubt Jessa could be bothered with that. They have a history of disregard for safety. 

Editing people out for the sake of fake drama is exactly why I hate reality TV. They did it to poor Jana a few years ago when the producers had a whole narrative going that Josh and Anna were handling a road trip with kids all on their own. (Big deal.) But Jana was along to help and edited out completely! Why on earth I continue to watch when it all makes me so annoyed, I can't explain.

• Love 6
On 6/19/2017 at 11:00 PM, ThinkerBell said:

I was appalled when Jill decided that math is too hard, and said she'd have to get Derrick to figure our how many Duggar birthdays they've collectively celebrated. 

Please tell me they had a backup cake after Spugeon puked on the first one. 

That is not a complicated math problem, You simply add everyone's ages together and you have the total number of birthdays! They are not geniuses, that's for sure, but no doubt are performing below where they could be if they'd gotten a proper education.

On 6/20/2017 at 1:13 AM, BitterApple said:

When they were at Jessa's house, I noticed both Jill and Jessa seemed really annoyed with the rambunctious Mkids. Now we know why Anna and Co. never get invited anywhere. 

Joy and Austin are growing on me. I'm not a huge fan of Mr. Forsyth but liked that he stressed the point of having finances together before considering marriage. Poor Jana, though. That must truly suck watching your sister marry the DIY husband you've been dreaming about for a decade.

Jinger and Jeremy are cute together and seem really happy. I have to say though, I'd go bonkers being stuck in that tiny apartment all day. I don't know why it's such a sin for Jinger to get a part time job, especially if they aren't planning on kids for a while.

I wanted to drop kick all those Duggar boys when they talked about the housework and laundry piling up. They're such lazy, smug assholes.

Spurgeon rejecting the cake was awesome. Maybe he sensed it was teaming with germs and loose hair and he didn't want food poisoning. Smart boy, Spurgie. You and Grumpy Wilberforce may be the ones to break the cycle of idiocy.

There are about 20 people at their church, maybe. I know they say they have a "ministry" but what is Jinger actually doing all day? It's so ridiculous that they believe married women should never work.

On 6/20/2017 at 5:14 AM, Fostersmom said:

Jinger still had her honeymoon sex hair going on in the few shots of them. I can get how the idea of buying 1 apple would be a foreign concept to her since a) how many apples did she ever get growing up, and b) the few apples she got came from a bag of 20. Jeremy's idea of fresh mozzarella is not so much as fresh as it is deli block. 

Have they explained the sudden appearance of Tyler to the audience? If you only knew them from the show, I'd imagine you'd be wondering who he was or why he was there. 

I liked Ben's mom and I don't remember liking her before. Was she wearing pants? Why do I remember Ben's family being more fundy when they were courting? 

Joy is an odd combination of Jessa and Michelle. You can tell she gets shit done, but uses Michelle's baby voice to do it. They kept talking about all the things Joy was in charge of now that Jessa and Jinger left, but what exactly does Jana do? We know Michelle is in charge of nothing, but other than cooking, it seems like Joy was in charge of everything. No wonder she got married the moment she could. 

I don't believe they explained Tyler's appearance. And Ben's family definitely used to be all skirts, a chance I noticed as well! Interesting that Jinger has followed suit.

On 6/20/2017 at 10:01 AM, SuzyLee said:

Does anyone else think that Jinger would have attended Spurgeon's first birthday party if not for Babe?  I think he nixed the idea (part of his "no family for six months" decree) and Jinger had no choice but to go along with it.  Wild horses could not have kept me from my baby niece or nephew's first birthday party.  I mean, it's not like any of these people have jobs or bosses to answer to (headships don't count).  

I don't know, that just really bugged me.

Six months is pretty ridiculous. I know it's part of their sex-obsessed doctrine, and I understand the "honeymoon stage," but really, you're not going to see anyone for half a year? Are you really needing to spend all day, every day in the bedroom? Even if family came to visit, they could just stay in a hotel. 

• Love 1

Jinger and Jeremy have indeed spent time with the Duggars. They went to see THEM at the Ark, Magnolia Farms in TX, etc. It's the Duggars who did not visit the Vuolos in Texas and I see nothing wrong with that for a bit of time. I also would think with all of the nieces and nephews they already have, Spurge's first birthday is just yet another rerun for Jinger. After so many of those, the luster wears off. They'll be the next ones to perhaps visit on their first  birthday. It also wasn't Spurge's birthday, remember Jinger married on Spurge's actual birthday...so she DID see him at her wedding on that day.

I feel only so much for Jana and her lack of a husband. Some have posted here, I think, about what 30ish man would submit to JB's 50 page questionnaire? That would apply now, but what about when Jana was in her early 20s? A guy would not likely be over 25 himself, applying to get to know Jana, so what went down back then? Maybe with that awful questionnaire being so invasive and out of context at times, it would put an unfair light on the male applicant...like other posts have pointed out, knowing 'absolutely everything' about someone BEFORE KNOWING THEM could be a mistake. It leads most likely to inaccurate opinions about the person. Their system is so flawed and unfair to both of the young people.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, becca3891 said:

That is not a complicated math problem, You simply add everyone's ages together and you have the total number of birthdays! They are not geniuses, that's for sure, but no doubt are performing below where they could be if they'd gotten a proper education.

There are about 20 people at their church, maybe. I know they say they have a "ministry" but what is Jinger actually doing all day? It's so ridiculous that they believe married women should never work.

I don't believe they explained Tyler's appearance. And Ben's family definitely used to be all skirts, a chance I noticed as well! Interesting that Jinger has followed suit.

Six months is pretty ridiculous. I know it's part of their sex-obsessed doctrine, and I understand the "honeymoon stage," but really, you're not going to see anyone for half a year? Are you really needing to spend all day, every day in the bedroom? Even if family came to visit, they could just stay in a hotel. 

Having the gang stay at a motel is one thing.  No way would I want this group at my house even for a short amount of time.  With their lack of manners, that place would be trashed.  (I keep thinking how nervous Alyssa Bates seems when her family visits.  And she has a house, not a small apartment.)

• Love 5
3 hours ago, floridamom said:

Jinger and Jeremy have indeed spent time with the Duggars. They went to see THEM at the Ark, Magnolia Farms in TX, etc. It's the Duggars who did not visit the Vuolos in Texas and I see nothing wrong with that for a bit of time. I also would think with all of the nieces and nephews they already have, Spurge's first birthday is just yet another rerun for Jinger. After so many of those, the luster wears off. They'll be the next ones to perhaps visit on their first  birthday. It also wasn't Spurge's birthday, remember Jinger married on Spurge's actual birthday...so she DID see him at her wedding on that day.

I agree. I think it's easy to forget that the Duggars aren't your typical house guests. They don't visit as much as they do take over and cause complete chaos. Look how poorly behaved those children were as they were tearing apart the package Jinger sent them. I wouldn't want to have to house, accommodate or entertain them for any length of time. Even Derick didn't seem too thrilled with the way the Littles were always at the house back when he was working at Walmart. This family is just way too high maintenance and I can't blame Jeremy for adopting a "don't call us, we'll call you" policy. 

• Love 9
4 hours ago, becca3891 said:

There was the stink bus excursion in late March/early April (attended Tabby Paine's wedding in TN...*puke*), and several siblings plus Jenni Hartono visited Laredo before Joy's wedding. Those are just the visits we know about. I think the 6 month thing was kind of a joke. They definitely saw family before the moratorium was up.