Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E03: Spurgeon's First Birthday

• Start Topic

ginger90, every smashcake I've seen has been tiny and the birthday child is the only one who gets it. The other guests have a larger cake/dessert. Only these buffoons would serve the baby cake to guests.

• Love 13

Haven't watched this show in a while and after last night I know why.  Why did those girls drag all those kids to the consignment sale?  They should have gone in shifts, taken turns.  I did not get the impression the store was that far from home.  Anna does indeed look like she is sedated or brain damaged.  They all have big smiles on their faces when they are talking - who does that?  And it appears that Jana has no responsibilities at home at all.  I think she was opening up a store or something.  What are they doing now that Joy is married?  Those lazy boys are no help.  What does Michelle do all day?  And for that matter, Jim-Bob?

Jinger and Jessa are ok.  Jill is annoying.  Joy seems "off" to me.  Josie looks like a brat.

• Love 5
53 minutes ago, jacksgirl said:

ginger90, every smashcake I've seen has been tiny and the birthday child is the only one who gets it. The other guests have a larger cake/dessert. Only these buffoons would serve the baby cake to guests.

Bbbbbut, that's all you gonna git at a Duggar function. 

• Love 3
52 minutes ago, debbie311 said:

Haven't watched this show in a while and after last night I know why.  Why did those girls drag all those kids to the consignment sale?  They should have gone in shifts, taken turns.  I did not get the impression the store was that far from home.  Anna does indeed look like she is sedated or brain damaged.  They all have big smiles on their faces when they are talking - who does that?  And it appears that Jana has no responsibilities at home at all.  I think she was opening up a store or something.  What are they doing now that Joy is married?  Those lazy boys are no help.  What does Michelle do all day?  And for that matter, Jim-Bob?

Jinger and Jessa are ok.  Jill is annoying.  Joy seems "off" to me.  Josie looks like a brat.

I want to know why bother with all of those footprints when you HAVE THE KID RIGHT THERE to try on shoes? Ditto the clothes. Hold them up to the kid to check for sizing. That whole "planning" scene at Jessa's house was waste-of-time filler, but I guess they did it for Anna, who needs the money. 

• Love 11
10 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

I want to know why bother with all of those footprints when you HAVE THE KID RIGHT THERE to try on shoes? Ditto the clothes. Hold them up to the kid to check for sizing. That whole "planning" scene at Jessa's house was waste-of-time filler, but I guess they did it for Anna, who needs the money. 

Oh!  I almost forgot about that BS.  No one does that.  I never saw one of them pulling out the tape measure or footprints at the store (as they piled up 50 something outfits each).  At this point I wonder if Michael really fell and hurt his head or if it was all a big TLC moment. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, truthtalk2014 said:

Oh!  I almost forgot about that BS.  No one does that.  I never saw one of them pulling out the tape measure or footprints at the store (as they piled up 50 something outfits each).  At this point I wonder if Michael really fell and hurt his head or if it was all a big TLC moment. 

I did wonder about that myself.

• Love 2

Somebody wondered how they knew the Three Stooges.  I'm not surprised at all.  My kids wouldn't know who the Three Stooges were, but since the Duggars only watch old fashioned crap, they probably find this type of program acceptable.  Who cares about a little violence?  It's just the type of humor that would appeal to kids who like trashing the cars of newlyweds.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

I must have missed that.  What exactly did they say?

I forgot what exactly but they were asked about Spurgeon's hair I think and they said Curly and then Moe and they forgot the either one.

(edited)
On 6/19/2017 at 9:13 PM, Annb67 said:

So if Joy is taking over Jinger's jobs of laundry, cooking, cleaning, party planning, decorating, organizing, grocery shopping etc., I have but one question. Michelle, WTF is your ass doing all day long? Oh and boys, if there is so much more dirty laundry now here's something new DO IT YOURSELF!!!

Preach. This grated on me so much that I came back today to join the Amen Corner and mention it again.

Maybe there's a news story here: Genetic gender-based deficiency discovered! Male Duggars are physically unable to operate laundry machines. In breaking news from Northwest Arkansas, our medical news reporter Melissa Filler reports . . . 

On 6/19/2017 at 7:48 PM, Annb67 said:

It's official. They are all bumbling idiots with a collective IQ of -1,500. I've never seen such stupid people. They seem extra moronic this evening. 

Extra moronic, with a side order of filthy feet.

On 6/19/2017 at 8:24 PM, auntieminem said:

From the way Jeremy and Jinger answered the where do you see yourself in a year, in five years, sounds like they (or least he) are not wanting kids for a while.  Could it be they may actually plan their family and use birth control?   

I don't know. Jeremy's talking a good game, but his wife has been indoctrinated all her life that her role is to pump out babies. Jinger is going to be constantly hammered with the "are you pregnant yet?" questions from her parents and siblings. Didn't Jill ask her that on this episode? I believe that the pressure on Jinger from her family won't let up. I hope JereME will be sensitive enough to her mental state to be supportive, after the honeymoon stage of their marriage is over and Jinger's family of origin continues its nonstop inquisition about the state of her uterus. 

On 6/19/2017 at 11:13 PM, BitterApple said:

I wanted to drop kick all those Duggar boys when they talked about the housework and laundry piling up. They're such lazy, smug assholes.

I just loved this comment ^^^ so much I had to re-post it!

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 19

I really like Austin and Joy. I mean, they really do seem like the most normal couple. Austin dresses and looks like a man. Unlike Derick with that hideous man bun and then Ben's stupid ass hairdo lol. I really like the fact that Austin doesn't look to me like the "yes, dear" type. Like, he has some kind of backbone, you know? Jeremy and JINGER. Annoying. The constant "babe" ruined it for me. And it really annoys me how none of these girls work, yet when they show them they're either just sitting around or on their phones or anything but acting like a "housewife". The only one I saw busting her ass was Joy. All the other girls seem so damn lazy. And its pathetic, for being so young, they shouldn't be this low energy. 

• Love 2

This episode is brought to you by the words "ain't" and "like."

Joy's grammar had me cringing throughout the entire first half. Maybe Austin thinks it's charming but it would drive me batty. I could not live with that on a daily basis. 

• Love 22
20 hours ago, Natalie68 said:

I could see it being a problem for a normal family but seriously how many first birthdays are they going to have to attend if they are even 1/2 as fertile as their mother?  If all the kids had 10 kids themselves that's 190 first birthday's!  There have been more than 300 bdays with just the Duggar kids not grands or parents.  

Oh for sure! I just meant in this specific case because Jessa and Jinger are "besties". Otherwise, no chance because it truly would be a daily bday extravaganza 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Tahitigirl said:

This episode is brought to you by the words "ain't" and "like."

Joy's grammar had me cringing throughout the entire first half. Maybe Austin thinks it's charming but it would drive me batty. I could not live with that on a daily basis. 

"...and such."

Hick level: 10,000+

• Love 8
11 hours ago, riverblue22 said:

Somebody wondered how they knew the Three Stooges.  I'm not surprised at all.  My kids wouldn't know who the Three Stooges were, but since the Duggars only watch old fashioned crap, they probably find this type of program acceptable.  Who cares about a little violence?  It's just the type of humor that would appeal to kids who like trashing the cars of newlyweds.

Agreed. After all, 'old' + 'no swears' always = 'wholesome ', right?

• Love 2
(edited)

I give Jinger a pass.  If Spurgeon's first birthday was really all that important, I would have expected Jinger to pick another date for her wedding so it could be celebrated day of.  I expect she gave Spurgeon a gift and a kiss on his real birthday.

I guess Jill was using extended breastfeeding as a form of birth control?  She was going back to breastfeed Izzy, which he would have been almost 19 months old when this was filmed.  Most women I know that did the extended breastfeeding were down to doing it only at nap and cuddle times.  The fact that she interrupted shopping to do it was strange.  Why couldn't she give him a sippy cup like we've seen in the past?  They are so inconsistent with Izzy.

Edited by saylubee
  • Love 1

I noticed in the shot when Anna walked in the TTH, Boob was holding Mer.  In the next shot, Anna is holding both Marcus & Mer.  I'm sure Boob couldn't wait to dump Mer on Anna.  I know Mer probably reached for & wanted her mom, but couldn't he have passed her off onto someone else? Poor Anna was trying to deal with all the questions & I'm sure Marcus still needed some comforting. She didn't need to be dealing with Mer then esp with a houseful of people to help.

I know it's mother's guilt, but I felt sorry for Anna when Marcus fell & her explaining what happened.  It's like she was getting her thoughts together &thinking what she would tell Josh, like he would blame her.  I'm probably reading more into this but I just got that vibe from her.

1 minute ago, Barb23 said:

I noticed Jill &  nursing Izzy too.  I figured she did it at the store to calm him down & hopefully have him fall asleep since he definitely needed a nap.

• Love 1

Ok, was anyone surprised that they didn't show the blood gushing out of M kid's head with some footage at the hospital getting stitched????? M-kid screaming and a nurse holding him down. Anna freaking out and doing a TH while he kid is hysterical?  Maybe the frantic drive to the hospital while they soak up the blood with a (new) diaper?

I was shocked that they didn't exploit this like Josie's seizure, J-boy falling into the orchestra pit and all the disgusting dentist trips/oral surgery, puking and all the rest.  

I seriously wonder why this wasn't more of a storyline.  I am secretly hoping that Anna and Josh the Perv showed an ounce of compassion for their injured child and didn't want medical footage aired.  

• Love 5

Oh, that just gave me the worst flashback. When my son was two, he tripped over a toy and cut his face (next to his eyebrow,) on another toy on the floor (yeah, too many toys...) Anyhow, it took Mr. Bean, myself, and two nurses  to hold him down (screaming and petrified) while the doctor stitched him up. Poor baby. That sucked. 

• Love 3

Did Jessa say Jinger's wedding fell on Spurgeon's birthday? Cuz, not really, I know they're struggling with math and all, but Jinger's wedding isn't a rolling holiday like Easter. Jinger picked that date after Spurgeon was born. Jinger and everyone else already knew when Spurgie was turning one on November 5th. If being around for his first birthday was that important she wouldn't have picked the exact date of his birth to get married.

• Love 9
8 minutes ago, floridamom said:

I also want to thank everyone here for your 'likes'. I don't know how to 'like' others' posts here, so I'm doing it now....and thanks for yours. I appreciate them all.

Make sure you are logged in.  If you want to 'like' a post, just click on the ♥ underneath the post.

12 minutes ago, floridamom said:

Figuring out how many birthdays have been celebrated is an easy math 'problem', Jill. Just add up the ages of the family members you want to include and that's how many birthdays they have celebrated. All those Duggars reacted like it was some advanced college algebraic equation. Goes to show you, I doubt they can pass a high school GED test.

And the boy twins (I think) were talking about having to multiply when they were trying to figure out how many total birthdays the family had celebrated. Boob and MEchelle have robbed those kids of their futures with the stunted "education" they provided.

• Love 10
Just now, jcbrown said:

And the boy twins (I think) were talking about having to multiply when they were trying to figure out how many total birthdays the family had celebrated. Boob and MEchelle have robbed those kids of their futures with the stunted "education" they provided.

Yeah, when "hot twin" started talking about multiplication, I started screaming at the teevee. I fail at math, but even I know all you have to do is ADD AGES. 

They really have been shortchanged. 

• Love 9

I like that the producers ask the Dum Dum Duggars questions that any one with a 3rd grade education should know...name types of fabric, no plaid is not a fabric...

Simple arithmetic problems like add up the number of birthdays the clan has celebrated

JD is a pilot who I am sure needs arithmetic...

That producer must be slapping his forehead over the answers the dim blubs gave him...

• Love 5

But do we count twins' birthdays as one or two celebrations? What about forgotten birthdays? Does your birthday get celebrated if you're at Journey to ALERT? Are we including the spouses now? Am I applying more critical thinking to this than all thousand Duggars combined?

• Love 12
1 hour ago, humbleopinion said:

I like that the producers ask the Dum Dum Duggars questions that any one with a 3rd grade education should know...name types of fabric, no plaid is not a fabric...

Simple arithmetic problems like add up the number of birthdays the clan has celebrated

JD is a pilot who I am sure needs arithmetic...

That producer must be slapping his forehead over the answers the dim blubs gave him...

Evidence seems to be increasing that either JB has full control of the production, or TLC is letting them destroy themselves. They are more and more boring and stupid. 

• Love 6

Hoping JB has less control but who knows...

The producers are just showing the goofy side of the dunces...they have no shame of their lack of general knowledge.

Not one said...I should know this...

They all seemed okay that they lack a basic education...

Bet if you were to quiz them on the Bible they would score low...they've been spoon fed dogma and are not scholars of the good book.

• Love 8

Jill was the worst one, not even attempting to figure it out....she'll pass along all that 'fancy book learnin; and siferin' to 'batch-el-oars degree' Derick. How will she homeschool Izzy, the next legacy Pistol Pete?

• Love 12
21 hours ago, riverblue22 said:

Yeah, the Duggars seem more hung up on sexual things than roughhousing. 

• Love 1
On June 20, 2017 at 7:47 AM, amitville said:

Your kidding there is a fundy sex toy catalog.  

No, she's not.  I was curious so I Googled "Christian sex toys" and found several websites that cater to Fundies.

• Love 1
(edited)
31 minutes ago, farmgal4 said:

No, she's not.  I was curious so I Googled "Christian sex toys" and found several websites that cater to Fundies.

I forgot to address that!  :)  :)

Oh yeah, that is a real thing. I think with the major use of Amazon, it's easier to buy something.  But years ago?  You had to go into some "shop" or order from a "company".  Christian companies popped up to fill the need for sexual products without having to go anywhere uncomfortable etc. 

(I think this is my strangest post ever)

Edited by Marigold
  • Love 9
(edited)
On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 7:11 PM, ginger90 said:

I know Ben's mother was at the birthday party, was his dad?

I've never participated in a party that had a smash cake. Isn't the point for it to just be the child's? They showed it cut in slices, so they served it after all of those fingers were in it, and who knows how far the spit up traveled?Blech!

It used to be you would just cut a piece of the regular birthday cake for the kid to smush, so as to not ruin the cake for everyone.  (I'm talking to you, JESSA!) Now I usually see either a very small cake or cupcake.

10 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

Jill's thought bubble as she admires her husband's workout...NIKE...RAWR.....

That was Jinger.  Jill's husband gags and vomits while exercising so I hope she wouldn't find that sexy.  But it's Jill so...who knows?

Nerd alert:

J kids birthdays--347

Parents and j kids--448

Parents, j kids, spouses (including Kendra), and grandkids--617

I can't find an age for Grandma Duggar.  Add 9 for Tyler if you want.

It wasn't that hard, Duggars.   I didn't even have to ask my helpmeet husband.

Edited by Tdoc72
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, Tdoc72 said:

It used to be you would just cut a piece of the regular birthday cake for the kid to smush, so as to not ruin the cake for everyone.  (I'm talking to you, JESSA!) Now I usually see either a very small cake or cupcake.

That was Jinger.  Jill's husband gags and vomits while exercising so I hope she wouldn't find that sexy.  But it's Jill so...who knows?

Nerd alert:

J kids birthdays--347

Parents and j kids--448

Parents, j kids, spouses (including Kendra), and grandkids--617

I can't find an age for Grandma Duggar.  Add 9 for Tyler if you want.

It wasn't that hard, Duggars.   I didn't even have to ask my helpmeet husband.

Grandma Mary is 76

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Beaner said:

Oh, that just gave me the worst flashback. When my son was two, he tripped over a toy and cut his face (next to his eyebrow,) on another toy on the floor (yeah, too many toys...) Anyhow, it took Mr. Bean, myself, and two nurses  to hold him down (screaming and petrified) while the doctor stitched him up. Poor baby. That sucked. 

My younger son was a big one for visits to the ER...The worst was one which was not even necessary as it turned out. When he was about two, he somehow got hold of a bottle of tylenol. I guess back in the day they didn't all come with child-proof caps, I don't remember, but at any rate, he had gotten it open and proceeded to dump them in the bathtub where many went down the drain, but we could not be sure that he hadn't eaten some of them and he couldn't tell us. So off we went to get his stomach pumped. As it turned out, there was no evidence that he had ingested any. Poor little guy, bundled up with tubes down his throat...Actually, it wasn't even the ER proper...we had a doctor living next door to us on base (this was  when we were stationed in Guam) who more than once helped us out with various things this kid had managed to do to himself. He even warned us that maybe we might keep a better eye on him. Until the time that he took him for half an hour to play on the swings with his own son, roughly the same age and came back a few minutes later needing to take him into the office for a couple of stitches in a head wound. He apologized, and said that Greg was obviously just one of those kids who was going to manage to bang himself up no matter how closely he was watched.

• Love 8

When Anna returned to the Big House with Marcus, after the ER visit, wouldn't he have had some dribbles of blood on his shirt.  Jill told us all how head wounds bleed excessively.

My three kids all required a few head stitches, all at 4 years of age, and none walked out of the ER with a turban.

• Love 2

I would not say the boys are lazy per say. I think it is more they were raised that boys do not do girl stuff. I was also disturbed that they chose Spurgens Bday for their wedding day these two days will forever clash.

7 minutes ago, Gyproselee said:

I was also disturbed that they chose Spurgens Bday for their wedding day these two days will forever clash.

How will they clash? Usually wedding anniversaries aren't the occasions for parties, except the big milestone ones. 

• Love 1

Conspiracy that the preacher plans to keep Jinge all to himself on Spooge's birthday and away from the family birthday celebration by going on a TLC paid for and planned first anniversary trip and retrospective on their courtship, wedding and  first year of marriage show.

TLC shooting schedule otherwise known as "our bread and butter" wins every time and his birthday was the best date  for the production company to stage the wedding.

The family plays fast and loose with birthdays and Spooge will get his birthday celebrated just not on his exact birth date annually.

• Love 1