Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E03: Spurgeon's First Birthday

• Start Topic

2 minutes ago, SuzyLee said:

Does anyone else think that Jinger would have attended Spurgeon's first birthday party if not for Babe?  I think he nixed the idea (part of his "no family for six months" decree) and Jinger had no choice but to go along with it.  Wild horses could not have kept me from my baby niece or nephew's first birthday party.  I mean, it's not like any of these people have jobs or bosses to answer to (headships don't count).  

I don't know, that just really bugged me.

my take on this was if it was the next week after the wedding were they even back from the honeymoon? 

• Love 4

I'm surprised two of the boys knew who the stooges were. Who would have thought they'd be allowed to watch that show?

If didn't upset me that Jinge didn't come to Spurge's party. She probably didn't have time to get there even on Duggar Airlines. It sounded like the party  was put together in a day for the show.  I thought I heard someone say it was weeks after his actual birthday, in the true Duggar fashion.  It seemed like it lasted all of a half hour if that.  No dinner or munchies. Just the cake & the homemade fruit sorbet, which was another FU internet moment.  ("We make this all the time." Um right) I noticed the Smugs were MIA. Were there any friends there like the Taco 4 Life family? Were there other presents besides the chair?  The younger ones couldn't have picked up some little toys for Spurge while they were at Wal-Mart? 

I thought I did notice some other ladies in the consignment shop when Anna ran out the front door.  I felt so sorry for Mack.  She looked like she didn't want to be there& was playing sweet & not whining.  Then when its time to look for clothes for her, Marcus falls.  (Anna was telling her about getting her a winter coat.)  She did look excited to be given the job to look after Izzy.  I kept thinking in the real world she would either be in school or staying at a friend's house while mom shopped.

Why do the Babes have to keep calling each other Babe?  Every sentence ended with Babe. They are the only ones in the same room with each other.  I really don't get it.  I know it's endearment but that would have gotten really old really quick in my house.  Maybe that's why Mr Barb & I have been married for 32+ years.

• Love 8

I wonder how that feels for the Smuggars to be told they can't come by or have to go hide in the Prayer Closet because of filming. I sensed a weird vibe between Jill, Jessa and Anna, like they were forced to include her so Smuggar could collect his TLC check, but wouldn't have invited her otherwise. 

I will say, I like how we're seeing a tad more bitchiness from the girls though. Jill making that snarky remark about not being able to put Izzy down for a nap because the Mkids were too noisy, was a nice change from the monotone Gothard robot we've seen over the past ten years. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, SuzyLee said:

Does anyone else think that Jinger would have attended Spurgeon's first birthday party if not for Babe?  I think he nixed the idea (part of his "no family for six months" decree) and Jinger had no choice but to go along with it.  Wild horses could not have kept me from my baby niece or nephew's first birthday party.  I mean, it's not like any of these people have jobs or bosses to answer to (headships don't count).  

I don't know, that just really bugged me.

I wholeheartedly agree. It seems like her and Jessa would really like to see each other but Jeremy is the barrier. I can understand to a degree his desire for some distance from her family but the nephews first birthday could have been an exception. 

• Love 1
13 hours ago, flyingdi said:

I am also totally clueless as to why someone would only buy one Apple and I grew up in a family of two kids.

I thought the same thing, and then I thought perhaps she meant, she didn't realize that you could buy them one at a time, rather than by the bag. Or maybe I am giving her too much credit. Out of the whole brood, she's the one I am rooting for to tell the rest of them to F OFF!

• Love 2

A birthday party at the big house... put up a sign, make a big card, twist some streamers, bust out the tissue paper...alter the date of the celebration so it can be filmed...it's Spooge's nearish First Birthday.

No wonder the Laredeoans didn't drive 12 hours for this very special occasion....

The 6 month cooling off time ...it's not total Radio Silence.

Jinge/Jesse probably text multiple times/day...talk when pastor is in the shower, chat as she goes out to buy her daily apple.

Jinge is getting used to cooking for 2 with teeny tiny pans compared to the massive meals...dozens of eggs, pounds of bacon/sausage, loaves of bread she used to pump out to fill all those hungry maws.

The neighborhood grocery store with the meat market are typical  in that region, the big supermarkets chains may not be as prevalent or may not have allowed filming.

• Love 5

I would like to know Jeremy and Jinger's dfinition of eating healthy. And I wonder how much that block of mozzarella cost, it was 5lbs.  And btw, over half the calories are from fat.  Also, Jeremy's interpretation of fresh may need some tweaking. Otherwise I like the two of them, mostly!

The birthday party......why do they have to go out and buy decorations? It's not like there was a particular theme. Save the stuff to use again, geez . Guess that only applies to some things, like shoes.

• Love 2
(edited)
14 hours ago, Maya said:

Do most people put mozzarella cheese on fajitas? Do people shred real mozzarella? I have only seen it sliced. So many questions about that enormous block of cheese and what Babe was planning to do with it. 

No.  Mozzarella is not generally used on fajitas.  I have shredded the round bouncy feeling moz but not the fresh which would need to be sliced.  

14 hours ago, woodscommaelle said:

But will Frederick Douglass do the PSA?

13 hours ago, Marigold said:

Jinger is thumbing through the Fund sex toy catalog as we snark. (yeah, that's a real thing)

REALLY???!!  Since I am at work I cannot look but I am going to have to see what is different about sex toys vs fundie sex toys when I get home.  PTV is kinda like an online education.  If so I double major in  Duggars and HWs!

Edited by Natalie68
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, BitterApple said:

When they were at Jessa's house, I noticed both Jill and Jessa seemed really annoyed with the rambunctious Mkids. Now we know why Anna and Co. never get invited anywhere. 

Joy and Austin are growing on me. I'm not a huge fan of Mr. Forsyth but liked that he stressed the point of having finances together before considering marriage. Poor Jana, though. That must truly suck watching your sister marry the DIY husband you've been dreaming about for a decade.

Jinger and Jeremy are cute together and seem really happy. I have to say though, I'd go bonkers being stuck in that tiny apartment all day. I don't know why it's such a sin for Jinger to get a part time job, especially if they aren't planning on kids for a while.

I wanted to drop kick all those Duggar boys when they talked about the housework and laundry piling up. They're such lazy, smug assholes.

Spurgeon rejecting the cake was awesome. Maybe he sensed it was teaming with germs and loose hair and he didn't want food poisoning. Smart boy, Spurgie. You and Grumpy Wilberforce may be the ones to break the cycle of idiocy.

Maybe they will get inspired to learn if the girls just stop being indentured servants.  Once they see all they have left are dirty skidmark underpants and stinky socks MAYBE they will learn how to use the washing machine.  Who am I kidding.  They will move grandma back in.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, DrFruitFly said:

I wholeheartedly agree. It seems like her and Jessa would really like to see each other but Jeremy is the barrier. I can understand to a degree his desire for some distance from her family but the nephews first birthday could have been an exception. 

I could see it being a problem for a normal family but seriously how many first birthdays are they going to have to attend if they are even 1/2 as fertile as their mother?  If all the kids had 10 kids themselves that's 190 first birthday's!  There have been more than 300 bdays with just the Duggar kids not grands or parents.  

• Love 3
(edited)

Did anyone catch Jill saying something about how blessed they (Derick and her) are to be back from DA and close to family again... so they can have family time anyone come and ''babysit at the drop of a hat.''

FFS, Jill. You have one kid. Oh well... at least she's being honest.

Edited by PinkyCupcake
Because I didn't go to the SOTDRT
  • Love 14

Monterey Jack and Cheddar or American cheese shredded with a box grater is the usual fajitas cheese topper for the melting aspect of the cheeses.

Mozza is not used in Tex-Mex food but Pastor can make his fajitas as "Eye Talian" as he likes.

• Love 5
43 minutes ago, goldensglitter said:

So how many kiddos still live at home?  I've lost track.

14 biokids: 6 adults (Jana, JD, Joe, Josiah, and Jer and Jed), and 8 minors (4 howlers, 3 lost girls, and the miracle). 1 foster kid who is a minor, Tyler. I think that by 2020 they'll be back down to the high single digits in the house. Fun fact: the peak number of kids all raised (and I use that term VERY loosely) in the house is 18; by the time Josie was born Joshley Madison was married and out of the house.

• Love 5
(edited)

In all fairness, what Jinger said was that she was so accustomed to buying bags of apples, that she didn’t know you could buy just one.  Given that the Duggars have to buy everything in bulk, it made sense to me. She seems to be seeing the world through brand new eyes.  I can’t help but wonder if Jeremy was part of the campaign to “free Jinger.”    

Edited by Adeejay
  • Love 11
(edited)
10 hours ago, Fostersmom said:

Jeremy's idea of fresh mozzarella is not so much as fresh as it is deli block. 

I know!  When he first said it and they showed the case, you could clearly see actual fresh mozzarella sitting next to the big block. Then the deli person handed him the block. That's not fresh mozz, Babe!

7 hours ago, sigmaforce86 said:

Josh's banishment really made the accident awkward - Anna returns with a kid that just smacked his head and got stitches and the concerned father is conspicuously absent not because he doesn't care about his son (we assume) but because he can't be shown...........awkward.  

Yes I'd need pen and paper to figure out the number of birthdays but I could do it, I doubt some of them <jill> could manage it at all.  

Yes, it was very awkward. Jill should've dropped them home and made arrangements to get the other kids back.  I know overall he was fine but the last thing I'd want is for my stitched up kid to be immediately running around playing at the dirty TTH.  Maybe a little rest and calmness?

LOL about Jill not doing the math. I don't think she could do it and worse to me, is that I don't think she'd even try. Just had it Derek as she states helplessly at him. 

Edited by Tdoc72
  • Love 1

With all the jobs and chores that got dumped on Joy when the three older girls left the TTH, it's no wonder she sprinted up that wedding aisle at the tender age of 19.  Girl needed a dang break, no matter how extreme the means.

• Love 17
(edited)
13 minutes ago, Magoo said:

With all the jobs and chores that got dumped on Joy when the three older girls left the TTH, it's no wonder she sprinted up that wedding aisle at the tender age of 19.  Girl needed a dang break, no matter how extreme the means.

Exactly. When Michelle made an appearance in the kitchen she was completely clueless as to what was going on in regards to the preparations. Everything was solely on Joy and it's ridiculous the way these girls are expected to drag eight kids with them every time they run an errand. I'm sure it was even worse during that time because Jill, Jessa and Jinger were no longer around to share the workload. A nice-looking, financially solvent guy like Austin comes around, and I'd jump ship too. 

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 19

I have a hard time believing that all of the "boys" are living at home.  Perhaps John David has moved into the garage apartment?  It just seems silly for the adult males to be living at home.  I wonder if TLC is just hanging on till Jana gets married?  You'd think they could just do a "Jana gets married" wedding special when the time comes though.  I also found it odd that Joy would suddenly be in charge of everything in the house because she's the one courting?  I mean, wouldn't Jana as the oldest sister be assigning the tasks?  Joy does seem incredibly bossy, but in a teenagery way, because of course, she is a teenager.

So Jinger can't have a job?  Ok, how about volunteering somewhere then?  I can't imaging sitting in that apartment all day watching your spouse "study."  If she worked, even a little, they could move to a nicer place.  Heck, how does Jill live in a mansion (when she's home in Ark) and Jessa have granite countertops--where is Jinger's show and book money?

• Love 8
(edited)

I'm impressed with the way Joy interacted with and delegated tasks to the younger kids.  Jessa is growing on me the way she spoke about Joy maturing into a wonderful young woman. I'm wondering about the timing of Joy taking on the household tasks though.  Depending on when Spurgeon's birthday party was, Jinger had been married for at most a month/month and a half.  That's not a long time for Joy to be in charge of her tasks.  If we buy into the whole girls don't have to do chores while courting, Joy wouldn't be in charge of the younger kids and all of the other household tasks during this time period since she would have been courting for ~ month before Jinger's wedding. I believe that Joy was significant in keeping the house afloat when Jessa and Jill left, I just don't think that she is the one woman dynamo the show was making her out to be.  I'm guessing it was to prove that she is ready to get married and have her own household. 

I do agree though about Michelle, she doesn't do shit.  They just have her wandering around in the "fancy kitchen" each episode. 

Edited by birkenstock
  • Love 8

I do enjoy that Chelle and JimBlob have been kept to the bare minimum in the episodes.

Does anyone know if Mr. Jim is still the sound man on the show?

Jesse said that Mr. Jim was acting as the chaperone when she and Ben were courting and the crew was filming them sitting on a bench swing.

2 hours ago, ChaChaSlide said:

14 biokids: 6 adults (Jana, JD, Joe, Josiah, and Jer and Jed), and 8 minors (4 howlers, 3 lost girls, and the miracle). 1 foster kid who is a minor, Tyler. I think that by 2020 they'll be back down to the high single digits in the house. Fun fact: the peak number of kids all raised (and I use that term VERY loosely) in the house is 18; by the time Josie was born Joshley Madison was married and out of the house.

But Anna, like a boomerang kid, came to live there with her four kids when Josh was away for six months at adult reform school.  I always thought the Duggars demanded that so that they could lock her in at night in the girls' dorm room and make sure she didn't run off and escape her marriage vows.

• Love 2
56 minutes ago, Mollie said:

But Anna, like a boomerang kid, came to live there with her four kids when Josh was away for six months at adult reform school.  I always thought the Duggars demanded that so that they could lock her in at night in the girls' dorm room and make sure she didn't run off and escape her marriage vows.

Or they wanted her to be so miserable at the TTH that reuniting with Joshley would be paradise in comparison. It must have been one hell of a downgrade to go from that nice, big D.C rental to being crammed into the girls' dorm with four small children. 

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Or they wanted her to be so miserable at the TTH that reuniting with Joshley would be paradise in comparison. It must have been one hell of a downgrade to go from that nice, big D.C rental to being crammed into the girls' dorm with four small children. 

Yeah, but what was worse for her was going back to the Siloam Springs house and crawling in bed with Josh.  

• Love 14
2 hours ago, Tdoc72 said:

Josh's banishment really made the accident awkward - Anna returns with a kid that just smacked his head and got stitches and the concerned father is conspicuously absent not because he doesn't care about his son (we assume) but because he can't be shown...........awkward.  

I really think you're giving him too much credit. This is the guy who made his wife carry all the luggage on their wedding night, took a nap while she was giving birth on a toilet and routinely walks ahead of her while she lags behind, struggling to herd all the kids. Why would he get off his dead ass just because one of his kids was taken to the emergency room? Coping with the young'uns is women's work!

• Love 20

I know Ben's mother was at the birthday party, was his dad?

I've never participated in a party that had a smash cake. Isn't the point for it to just be the child's? They showed it cut in slices, so they served it after all of those fingers were in it, and who knows how far the spit up traveled?Blech!

• Love 11

How strange was that for Jill and Anna to run off and leave Jessa with all of those kids in a store?  That's a lot of kids who need car seats.  So did she take them to the "big house" without car seats, or did somebody come and secretly help them get back?

Not too impressed that Jeremy's folks gave him weights for a wedding gift.  Oh let's give a gift that our son wants, forget Jinger!  And wasn't he enjoying working with those weights in front of the camera while saying he was out of shape?  Do we have another narcissist in the family?

Somehow I think Jim Bob is most pleased with Austin out of all the sons-in-law.  He talks the talk, presumably walks the walk, and brings in money too.  He's a more perfect Jim Bob than clone any of his real sons or other sons-in-law.

• Love 10

The only thing I can think of is that Jill, Anna and Marcus took a crewmember's car to the doctor's and left the big SUV with all the carseats for Jessa. 

Regarding the Seewalds, does anyone know why they moved to Little Rock? If I'm not mistaken, LR is closer to Springdale than where Ben was originally from, yet we still don't seem to see much of them socializing with the Duggars.

• Love 2
(edited)
12 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

I know Ben's mother was at the birthday party, was his dad?

I've never participated in a party that had a smash cake. Isn't the point for it to just be the child's? They showed it cut in slices, so they served it after all of those fingers were in it, and who knows how far the spit up traveled?Blech!

Guinn said they're now living in West Little Rock, which is about an hour away from where they used to live around Hot Springs. It's still about a 3 hour drive to the TTH, which is about what it was from Hot Spings (that drive might have been even longer). I guess Mike got a good job there and couldn't get the day off to attend the party. We all know the Duggars are notorious for having parties on whatever day, and it's not like this party had a any real guests beyond Guinn and some of her kids. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Albanyguy said:

I really think you're giving him too much credit. This is the guy who made his wife carry all the luggage on their wedding night, took a nap while she was giving birth on a toilet and routinely walks ahead of her while she lags behind, struggling to herd all the kids. Why would he get off his dead ass just because one of his kids was taken to the emergency room? Coping with the young'uns is women's work!

Maybe he was taking care of the washing that Joy has let pile up. If anybody is an expert in Duggar 'dirty laundry', it's certainly Josh.

• Love 8

speechless...

• buying a 5 lb of block Mozzarella cheese..
  • making footprints and using a tape measure to size toddler clothing....
  • a turban of a bandage for a couple of stiches..
  • Leaving all of the babies with Jessa to finish consignment shopping 
  • getting Jermey a set of hand weights for a wedding present

where do they come up with these ideas ?

{reserving the right to add more to this list later}

• Love 14
4 hours ago, yogi2014L said:

Doesn't bother me one bit. I left a niece's 1st birthday party a little early to go to a soccer game :-/ I also would not get on a plane and travel for a first bday party. Especially two seconds after my wedding and honey moon. Its a party, not a wedding!

Also, in that family, there have been ten thousand birthdays.  I don't think its a big deal. I would not expect my siblings to travel 12 hours for a bday party. I'm kind of happy she didn't go. Shows some separation.

Ha, I have nieces and nephews that live just 20 miles away and I seldom go to their birthday parties.  No way I'd travel to another state.  I figure sending a gift absolves me of my sin. 

8 hours ago, heatherrrrz said:

I'm surprised two of the boys knew who the stooges were. Who would have thought they'd be allowed to watch that show?

I must have missed that.  What exactly did they say?

• Love 4
(edited)
7 minutes ago, Gemma Violet said:

No way I'd travel to another state.  

I love family and all, but I wouldn't either, especially if I was just off the heels of a long international honeymoon. I'd send a gift and Skype, but that's about it. 

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 10
(edited)
1 hour ago, Albanyguy said:

He learned that from BOTH of his parents!  Look how Michelle and JB held hands and walked ahead of ALL those kids, with nary a care in the world.  Leaving barely teen and tween sister moms to herd all those toddlers!  I'm specifically remembering the photo of the kids and Michelle all dressed in red.

Edited by louannems
  • Love 7
6 hours ago, ChaChaSlide said:

Foster kid??? These idiots have a foster kid?? How? Who? Why? 

• Love 1

The cheese next to the block of Mozza is queso fresco, a Mexican cheese ...you can tell by the shape and packaging... a big hockey puck with rounded edges.

The Pastor was stoked over the block of mozza, enough for his whole congregation...

• Love 1
4 hours ago, scenicbyway said:

I wonder if TLC is just hanging on till Jana gets married?

I sure hope not.  Seeing what happens after Jana leaves that horde to fend for itself is about the only thing I can think of that might make this show interesting again.

• Love 8

I wanted to drop kick all those Duggar boys when they talked about the housework and laundry piling up. They're such lazy, smug assholes.

They should take a hint from the Bates who celebrated Valentine's Day by having the men not only cook the meal but serve the women.

• Love 4
(edited)
14 hours ago, QuinnInND said:

Foster kid??? These idiots have a foster kid?? How? Who? Why? 

He really isn't a foster kid.  He's the son of Michelle's niece.  She has "issues" and Michelle's sister had guardianship of the boy until she had a stroke.  Michelle and Jim Bob now have guardianship of him. 

Edited by Absolom
  • Love 1
23 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

The Duggars hold their coffee cups in their IGs more tenderly than their own children.

They learned this from the MOTY. ... 

23 hours ago, Annb67 said:

It's official. They are all bumbling idiots with a collective IQ of -1,500. I've never seen such stupid people. They seem extra moronic this evening. 

Well, if your whole life was hanging around with this gang, and you'd already left "school," such as it is, I'm not sure there'd be any option except to get stupider and stupider and stupider. Each individually provides so little stimulation of an intellectual, imaginative (or any other) kind, really, that their lives together are just a big race to the bottom, probably. I don't watch, but just thinking about it frightening for all the millions of children they plan to have. 

• Love 5