Type keyword(s) to search

S29.E08: Good Job, Donkey!

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, blackwing said:

Tara lost major points with me when she complained that Scott and Brooke used the U Turn on Liz and Michael.  Something like "I can't believe they U Turned Liz and Michael.  That's awful!"    What's so awful about it?  I thought it was good strategy from Scott.  He knows that they occasionally have issues with tasks (Brooke) so he wanted to give themselves a buffer by U Turning the team that had a speed bump task.  The whole point is to try and survive to the next leg, so this did it for him.

I also noted that Tara said "yay for the old people" when they finished.   Tara is only 38.  While she is older than others, really, with some of them, she's only a few years older.  Brooke is 36 and Scott looks early to mid 30s.   I guess Joey is older (46), but still, in any normal race, these two would often be right in the middle of the pack in terms of age.  I guess in a team of strangers nobody would want to pick someone in their 50s or 60s so that's why the oldest player is only mid 40s.   

Something about Tara and Joey leaves me cold.  Yes they are competent but they just seem a bit robotically efficient.  They are uninteresting to watch.  I feel the same way about Matt and Redmond.   I guess I'm rooting for London and Logan, and Scott.  Scott was funny this leg.  "Oh we could be in first.  Oh wait, it'll be a footrace to the mat.  We'll settle for second."

but Joey has his looks. Great hair & awesome scruff. That should count for something. LOL!!!

• Love 4
(edited)
11 hours ago, mojoween said:

WHY WOULD YOU KEEP AIMLESSLY DRIVING AND NOT TURN AROUND?

Somebody beat me to it :  The earth is a sphere!

This is the first time in ages I've seen the U/W-Turn used "properly".  Michael & Liz were U-Turned because they were at the back of the pack.  Making a late team later, gives you more time to get to the pit-stop.   U/W-Turning a leading team probably won't win you any extra time.  

And did Michael threaten to stalk Liz from now on?  If I was her I'd be like "You go near my FaceBlot page and i'll get a restraining order!"

Scott:  "Just one ounce of 'Yay'?"

Brooke: <small> "Yay." </small>  

Edited by Netfoot
  • Love 4

Never realized I liked team fun until they were on the verge of elimination, I surprised myself as how strongly I was rooting for Becca to march right!

Am I the only one amazed how the women in the last challenge could have easily passed for young men, despite the pompoms and skirts?    

• Love 5

I am glad to see Mike & Liz gone, but I did notice that Liz was the only one who told the Bride she looked beautiful (at least the way it was edited.)
I have a feeling someone in production keeps egging Joey to play up his Boston accent. Or maybe he is rewarded with secret donuts for every time he says the word "Park." (Pronounced "Pahhhk" in Joey speak).
I went to Greece for my honeymoon and it and the people are truly beautiful. Also, I'm guessing they timed the hike up the Acropolis near days end because it's a major tourist attraction and it would have been difficult navigating a camera crew around all of the people. But they are lucky they didn't have to try to climb the stones during the day. The sun heats them up to a point where they become slippery as ice.

• Love 4

I'm curious as to why Tara and Joey U-Turned Team Fun instead of London and Logan.  London and Logan seem to bleed time more than Becca and Floyd. 

Probably because they saw Team Fun make a wrong turn so they knew they were going to be way behind.

I'm really tired of people getting their panties in a twist over the U-Turn. Yeah it stinks, and I wish they had never come up with that gimmick. But when you're a team that consistently finishes at the back of the pack, and you're given a chance to increase your odds of not finishing last, you take it. Period. I'm not so much annoyed at Mike's reaction but the way Redmond and Matt and Joey and Tara seemed so aghast - aghast, I say - that Scott and Brooke U-Turned Mike and Liz made me roll my eyes. It wouldn't have done them any good to U-Turn a stronger team because they were right behind them. They knew getting Michael and Liz out was their best bet.

Something about Tara and Joey leaves me cold. 

Same here. I don't have a real feel for their personalities or their dynamic. Same with Logan and London - both teams are just sort of there.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, seasquared said:

I went to Greece for my honeymoon and it and the people are truly beautiful. Also, I'm guessing they timed the hike up the Acropolis near days end because it's a major tourist attraction and it would have been difficult navigating a camera crew around all of the people. But they are lucky they didn't have to try to climb the stones during the day. The sun heats them up to a point where they become slippery as ice.

Thanks for the tip!

I am all in for team fun.

• Love 1
(edited)

I totally disagree with those that are mad at Tara and Joey for U-turn Team Fun. Just because of them, we actually got a real race for this leg insteand of another leg with teams making sure to put a single team in dead last/doing the U-turn by themselves. They did it cause they wanted to give Michael and Liz a fair chance (also, would be way better benefit for the remaining teams if Team Fun have went home instead of Michael and Liz).

Tara and Joey are officially my favorite team now. They played the U-turn very smart both ways (they decided to not use on that week were teams made the pact, with they didnt needed), they are the most balanced on doing the tasks and navegation. Team Fun are in 2nd for me, props for them to handle face the elimination that well (we need to see teams on this position to really figure it out how good they are).

Michael and Liz... geez, I thought Michael would give a full turn on earth just no to follow Liz instruction to recover themselves. It was their time, at least at the end they appreciated the race and each other. Don´t worrie about Brooke, if theres any justice in this world, she will keep suffering till the end just not to win a single leg.

Edited by CaioF
  • Love 6
12 minutes ago, CaioF said:

I totally disagree with those that are mad at Tara and Joey for U-turn Team Fun. Just because of them, we actually got a real race for this leg insteand of another leg with teams making sure to put a single team in dead last/doing the U-turn by themselves. They did it cause they wanted to give Michael and Liz a fair chance (also, would be way better benefit for the remaining teams if Team Fun have went home instead of Michael and Liz).

Tara and Joey are officially my favorite team now. They played the U-turn very smart both ways (they decided to not use on that week were teams made the pact, with they didnt needed), they are the most balanced on doing the tasks and navegation. Team Fun are in 2nd for me, props for them to handle face the elimination that well (we need to see teams on this position to really figure it out how good they are).

Michael and Liz... geez, I thought Michael would give a full turn on earth just no to follow Liz instruction to recover themselves. It was their time, at least at the end they appreciated the race and each other. Don´t worrie about Brooke, if theres any justice in this world, she will keep suffering till the end just not to win a single leg.

Intellectually, I have no issue with Tara and Joey U-turning Team Fun.  As a fan, I am mad at them for U-Turning my favorite team. :) As I mentioned above, unless a team killed the 2nd U-turn by using it on a team that had already passed, Michael and Liz would have U-turned Team Fun anyway, so it really didn't matter. 

• Love 2

Michael and Liz KNEW that Liz was a terrible navigator. So why not let her drive? If Michael is so smart and brilliant with compasses and maps, let him navigate. Also, "find me the next right" pretty much only works when there is no topographic interruption - by that I mean, no rivers, mountains (ya idjit), lakes, canyons, etc. Much more luck with this in a city or a rural farming area. Here, not so much. Also, why was he so against u-turning? It didn't look like those roads were all that busy and they both seemed to notice pretty quick that the other teams were no longer following them.

Wouldn't doing the stairs have been WAY faster than the donkeys? I guess I mean if you only had to do one task and you did it right the first time?

• Love 10
3 hours ago, seasquared said:

I have a feeling someone in production keeps egging Joey to play up his Boston accent. Or maybe he is rewarded with secret donuts for every time he says the word "Park." (Pronounced "Pahhhk" in Joey speak).
I

No need for producer interference--its the way most people from Boston talk.

Best part of the show by FAR was the Greek commander who gave out the clues at the drill task. Rowr.

• Love 6
(edited)

Michael is an idiot, first, refused to turn around early and second, didn't get the goat, poor Liz had to carry the goat to the church and back. Greece is beautiful, fyi, Patras to Arachova is 2 hrs and Arachova to Athens is also 2 hours driving.

Edited by piequinn35
  • Love 2
24 minutes ago, Pepper Mostly said:

No need for producer interference--its the way most people from Boston talk.

Best part of the show by FAR was the Greek commander who gave out the clues at the drill task. Rowr.

Born and raised Bostonian here - the word "park" is taboo for us. Tired of always having people ask us to say it so they can make fun of our accent. Plus the time Joey said it last night, I believe they coasted right up to the curb so I'm still betting he's being coaxed to play up the accent as much as possible. (and being a cop from Revere, he's probably missing his Dunk's pretty hard right about now, so I'm thinkin' the donuts would be GREAT incentive!!  ; )  )

There ought to be a way to "like" the recaps here:

whoever designed this leg basically just googled "Greek stuff" and a movie about a wedding was the first thing that came up. If that's how we're designing things now, I really hope the Roadblock doesn't involve chugging beer from a funnel and hitting each other with paddles. Or anything else on the first page of Google results, depending on whether or not "safe search" was turned on.

I know right? Greek wedding? Really?

• Love 1
48 minutes ago, CaioF said:

Well now that you mention it... I don't necessarily agree that they were "smart" with the U Turn.  The first time, they used it to U Turn someone.  The second time, when the teams were all anti-Vanck and Ashton, they weren't really being "smart" about it.  They seemed like they were in agreement with the plan but were perfectly happy to let someone else do it.  They said that they had already used the U Turn once and didn't want more "blood on their hands" (or something like that) and didn't want to be known as the bad guy team that always U Turns.

So what happened this time?  Someone U Turned their friends ("I can't believe that Scott and Brooke U Turned Liz and Michael, that's awful!!!!!") so they immediately U Turned Becca and Floyd.  I'm not sure how that qualifies as being "smart".  To me that qualifies as being loyal to their friends.  And also a bit contradictory.  They didn't want to be the "bad guys" who always U Turned others and passed on Vanck and Ashton but all of a sudden it was OK to U Turn Becca and Floyd because "we need to give Michael and Liz a chance".  Nobody gave Vanck and Ashton a chance.

I also really think it stinks that teams can use a U Turn more than once.  I guess now that we have seen that there were three double U Turns, that's seemingly why the restriction was lifted.

• Love 4

After the Detour, it's on to the stadium used in the very first Olympic games, where everyone has to jog a lap around the track before they get their next clue. This is also the site of Mike and Liz's Speed Bump, and I swear to God if their Speed Bump is just "take a second lap around the track," I'm quitting this show.

Aha, I thought of the speed bump as 5 laps, that will surely give Michael a heart attack after his ordeal with the goat detour.

For some reason, instead of a goat, Floyd's been given a sheep; maybe they ran out of goats because they weren't expecting anyone else to do this half of the Detour.

I didn't notice that!

• Love 2
5 hours ago, seasquared said:

I am glad to see Mike & Liz gone, but I did notice that Liz was the only one who told the Bride she looked beautiful (at least the way it was edited.)

I thought Scott did... oh wait, he told the Greek guy at the pit stop that he was handsome. :) 

10 hours ago, Rinaldo said:

The second sentence answers the first. Because two partners need to end up doing about the same number of roadblocks, and there are so very many things that Brooke proclaims she can't do, it's smart to have her do any of them that look at all possible for her. Why should Scott have tried this one? It didn't look physically challenging, and in fact Brooke did fine at it.

It's just hard because I'm thinking Brooke is doing more than Scott because of all her whining on every task and her favorite quote, "I can't" that comes their way plus seeing Scott always carrying her bags. So it makes it hard to pinpoint which Roadblocks he's done. I know he did the window washing, the climbing, and the eating in Italy.

2 hours ago, CaioF said:

Agreed.  I love Tara and Joey. 

• Love 1

(For some reason, instead of a goat, Floyd's been given a sheep; maybe they ran out of goats because they weren't expecting anyone else to do this half of the Detour.)

Except they had a guaranteed two teams from the U-Turn. But goats can be stubborn, maybe that's where all the animal drama went :)

2 hours ago, blackwing said:

Well now that you mention it... I don't necessarily agree that they were "smart" with the U Turn.  The first time, they used it to U Turn someone.  The second time, when the teams were all anti-Vanck and Ashton, they weren't really being "smart" about it.  They seemed like they were in agreement with the plan but were perfectly happy to let someone else do it.  They said that they had already used the U Turn once and didn't want more "blood on their hands" (or something like that) and didn't want to be known as the bad guy team that always U Turns.

So what happened this time?  Someone U Turned their friends ("I can't believe that Scott and Brooke U Turned Liz and Michael, that's awful!!!!!") so they immediately U Turned Becca and Floyd.  I'm not sure how that qualifies as being "smart".  To me that qualifies as being loyal to their friends.  And also a bit contradictory.  They didn't want to be the "bad guys" who always U Turned others and passed on Vanck and Ashton but all of a sudden it was OK to U Turn Becca and Floyd because "we need to give Michael and Liz a chance".  Nobody gave Vanck and Ashton a chance.

I also really think it stinks that teams can use a U Turn more than once.  I guess now that we have seen that there were three double U Turns, that's seemingly why the restriction was lifted.

Actually, UTurning Team Fun was a smart move...no matter the reason.  No point in trying to UTurn Matt/Redmond or Brooke/Scott -- they were right there and could very easily have done both tasks before either of the two lost teams appeared.  And if everyone in the gang that were surrounding the UTurn sign just left the 2nd UTurn...then there was a good chance Mike/Liz would have used it on Team Fun anyway.

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, sinycalone said:

Actually, UTurning Team Fun was a smart move...no matter the reason.  No point in trying to UTurn Matt/Redmond or Brooke/Scott -- they were right there and could very easily have done both tasks before either of the two lost teams appeared.  And if everyone in the gang that were surrounding the UTurn sign just left the 2nd UTurn...then there was a good chance Mike/Liz would have used it on Team Fun anyway.

On further reflection, I agree.  I let my love of Team Fun cloud my initial judgement.

I still hope they win, followed by TJ, or LoLo.  

• Love 3
(edited)

Brooke is actually competent at Road Blocks when she's on her own and when she can't perform the I-can't-do-anything act instead.

Aside from the early U-turn placement, another genuinely well-designed leg in another great location. (And another ferry to be memorised for the end, I'm sure.) And I'm with those who are happy that there was a genuine contest at the back -- with that much self-navigation, even a U-Turn and a Speed Bump wasn't a guaranteed "dead team walking" situation, so you might as well hedge your bets.

The editing seemed quite compressed for the final third, because there were really two separate legs being shown in parallel. That's probably inevitable when navigation problems separate teams so much. (I just couldn't understand Michael's assumption that if you miss a turn, there'll be another turn somewhere up the road that puts you back on track. Uh, no. Sometimes you just have to turn round, even if you feel ashamed to do so.)

Tara & Joey are pretty decent at this.

Oh, also: animals! Not just donkeys, but goats! More fan service.

Edited by etagloh
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, sinycalone said:

I don't disagree that it was good strategy... they wanted to try and keep their friends in the game.  I just think it contradicts their image from the last time when they said they didn't want to get their hands dirty and get a reputation.  They are perfectly willing to get their hands dirty when they let their personal feelings come into play.

• Love 1

Kudos to Joey for knowing and using some Greek words. Not that it was as useful as his partner's Italian, but it was still nice to hear him thank the locals in their native tongue.

• Love 4
21 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

I know every culture is different, but I cannot take shoes with Pom-poms seriously. Sorry, Greece.

It's worth pointing out that those soldiers are elites in the Greek army, similar to the way the guards at the Tomb of the Unknowns in Arlington Cemetery are among the most respected soldiers in the US Army.  They are completely dedicated to their job -- Wikipedia notes: "In January 2010, a makeshift bomb was placed 20 meters from where the Evzones guard the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, at Syntagma Square. Although the police informed the Evzones of the imminent threat, the Guards refused to leave their posts and remained on guard while the bomb exploded."

• Love 7
57 minutes ago, etagloh said:

Aside from the early U-turn placement, another genuinely well-designed leg in another great location. (And another ferry to be memorised for the end, I'm sure.) And I'm with those who are happy that there was a genuine contest at the back -- with that much self-navigation, even a U-Turn and a Speed Bump wasn't a guaranteed "dead team walking" situation, so you might as well hedge your bets.

The self navigation really made the leg -- I wish that any leg which had straightforward tasks would include self driving in challenging situations to force teams to earn their victory.

I'm curious if any of the confusion on the road was due to Greek road signs.  When I was there, some had place names in both Roman and Greek alphabets (I noticed one sign in this episode was that way) but many used only the Greek.  I found the Greek-only signs to be really hard to handle when you only have a few seconds to read it before you've passed it.

Michael took the U-Turn way to personally, him stalking Liz seemed to be a bit creepy. The U-Turn harmed Michael/Liz but they could have made it if they had made the right turn, Tara/Joey and Matt/Redmond are the two teams to beat.

• Love 1
(edited)

I can't remember the last time when I was so invested in the outcome of a leg and basically sitting on the edge of my seat for the whole episode. Usually it's pretty easy to spot who'll lose the leg and even if not I'm not that ivnested into the teams most of the time. But this time I really wanted team fun to win. So glad the made it. Hope they win it all.

23 hours ago, Brynnjk said:

This was a beautiful ep scenery wise and I loved the wedding and the stadium moments.  Glad to see Michael finally exit Stage Left.  Liz should be rewarded for putting up with him all this time.  I'm not a huge fan of Team Fun as I remember her rage earlier in the race.  I like Floyd but Becca is just a little too much for me. 

Floyd said he deserved it. Apparently it was edited out of order. What actually happened is that they got the passport back and were on their way back up to Phil, when Flyod noticed that in the confusion, he had lost something else important (don't quite remember what it was, might have been a visa). That's when Becka made the fist and basically threatened to hit him. I probably would have done the same if somebody fucked up that hard twice in the span of 5 minutes.

22 hours ago, blackwing said:

Logan and London finally seemed to have some drive tonight.  It helped that two teams got so lost getting to the wedding, but still, decent job.  I think Phil must be hanging out with Jeff Probst too much... he had clearly been gushing about Logan's muscles to the "available" Greek greeter.  I bet Jeffy would love to have Logan on Survivor, Logan is exactly the kind of young male hardbody that Jeff salivates over.

There were comments that made it seem that the greeter is probably gay. So I'll chalk that up to a straight guy awkwardly trying to bond wit the gay guy thing, by saying things like "isn't that guy hot?". There could be way worse reactions. I thought Phil was kind of adorable (which he often is).

Edited by Miles
  • Love 3

Liz and Michael deserved to lose.  I don't care that they got u-turned on top of their speed bump, between the driving mistake compounded by his stubbornness to turn around and not reading the freaking clue correctly and having to go back for the other goat, what did that cost them, an hour?  That was the difference right there.

That said, what is it with all the damn u-turns this season?  Sheesh.

• Love 4

When you get the clue... READ the clue!!! Then read it a second time for good measure... "oops I forgot my goat" should never have passed Michael's lips.

Every time we have a somewhat boring leg I think to myself "Be happy to have any Race at all."

• Love 5
On 5/11/2017 at 10:57 PM, Bryce Lynch said:

There is no such thing as "most unique", Phil.  It is either unique or not unique.

Something that is 1 out of a million is more unique than something that is 1 out of 10.

22 hours ago, sportsgirl said:

Ducky, when Liz & Michael left with one goat, they took a different path to the wedding -- one with more road and fewer stairs that appeared significantly less steep. It was the same path they went up to get goat #2 (and why they didn't run into Team Fun, who were on the steps by that point).

They should have had to go up the stairs (if not down) both times. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, jhlipton said:

Something that is 1 out of a million is more unique than something that is 1 out of 10.

They should have had to go up the stairs (if not down) both times. 

Unique means the only one of its kind.  There are no degrees of uniqueness.  

• Love 13

I'm going to guess that Michael lives-has perhaps always lived- in a rural or small town where there are County roads and state highways so you can get from town A to town B 3 or 4 different ways. 

I was astonished how well Brooke handled the poop and that she knew instantly where she'd screwed up and how to fix it.

Michael and Liz would only have U-Turned Team Fun if they knew Becca & Floyd were behind them.  They could have easily thought that Team Fun caught up with the rest of the pack.

5 hours ago, jhlipton said:

Michael and Liz would only have U-Turned Team Fun if they knew Becca & Floyd were behind them.  They could have easily thought that Team Fun caught up with the rest of the pack.

The photo of Team Fun would have remained unused at the UTurn board...so it would have been worth a shot to UTurn them.

I'm glad it was Michael and Liz rather than Becca and Floyd, but only for Floyd's sake. Becca is awful. "ARE. YOU. SURE? ARE. YOU. SURE? ARE. YOU. SURE? ARE. YOU. SURE?" She's lucky she got paired with someone so even-keeled. And since she was one of the people talking about how Vanck and Ashton were U-turned because they didn't fit in with the group or however it was that she put it, I had some schadenfreude this week when she said she "knew" she and Floyd weren't going to be U-turned and then at her disbelief when she found out they were. They were U-turned for race reasons, but at the same time, her personality is not nearly as winning as she thinks it is. 

I know donkeys are strong, but they always look so sad about carrying heavy things.

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, fishcakes said:

always look so sad about carrying heavy things.

Look they are professionals who know how to get the job done, they don't have to smile during their work hours!

• Love 11

Moments I loved:

London happily opting to push the car when they couldnt reverse.  My girl crush is growing. 

Redmond commenting on Matts adorableness in the soldier outfit.   I appreciated his low key hoyay. 

Mike and Liz getting eliminated.  I swear, him refusing to turn around was a not funny version of the classic roadtrip mivie gambit about dad not stopping for directions.  I think the cars were standard transmission, maybe thats why she was 'navigating'. 

• Love 3

Also, I think Tara and Joey uturned team fun in part because they knew who was still behind them, while Liz and Michael would not.  Tara and Joey had seen all the teams except team fun on the roads, and so they had a pretty good sense that Becca and Floyd were lagging.  Michael and Liz would have had to take a shot inthe dark at uturning the right team to help them.  They could easily have chosen team lolo, who are usually slow between tasks, but who would have been ahead of them.  

This way, Tara and Joey really helped Liz and Michael, who simply failed at this leg. 

Part of me thinks Michael gave up on purpose. His mistakes were so DUMB. 

(edited)
2 hours ago, fishcakes said:

I'm glad it was Michael and Liz rather than Becca and Floyd, but only for Floyd's sake. Becca is awful. "ARE. YOU. SURE? ARE. YOU. SURE? ARE. YOU. SURE? ARE. YOU. SURE?"

I mean Floyd had gotten them colossally lost earlier in the leg, even worse than "let's drive in the wrong direction for miles, even though we know the right one"- Liz and Micheal. I would be skeptical at that point, too. I know, since they are supposed to be team fun, any time when they are stressed it seems a 1000 times worse, but looked at objectively, they handled fighting for not being last way better than 95% of the teams in TAR history.

Edited by Miles
  • Love 10

I am okay with U turns for the most part when you are playing a competitive game.  What I am not okay with is that Michael said to Brooke if I help you with the ladle you will not U turn me and she agreed.  So I don't think Scott and Brooke should have U turned them.  Granted I did not mind Michael and Liz and I agree I got a brother/sister vibe off of them.  They didn't seem to stay mad at each other for very long except for their first disagreement early on in the race.

And Becca punched Floyd when she found out they were U turned.  I missed it the first time so my roommate rewound it and yep she hit him.  I don't like Becca at all.  I feel like everything she does is for show-she wants everyone to look at her and notice her having fun.  

Logan and London are such bad racers.  

• Love 2
45 minutes ago, gibasi said:

And Becca punched Floyd when she found out they were U turned.  I missed it the first time so my roommate rewound it and yep she hit him.  I don't like Becca at all. 

It was the cutest girl punch ever. That's why you missed it the first time.

• Love 1
On 5/12/2017 at 4:05 PM, seasquared said:

Born and raised Bostonian here - the word "park" is taboo for us. Tired of always having people ask us to say it so they can make fun of our accent. Plus the time Joey said it last night, I believe they coasted right up to the curb so I'm still betting he's being coaxed to play up the accent as much as possible. (and being a cop from Revere, he's probably missing his Dunk's pretty hard right about now, so I'm thinkin' the donuts would be GREAT incentive!!  ; )  )

I too am a born and raised Bostonian, and hear Joey's accent every day. Though I concur on the tourists mocking it. I used to work at the Parker House hotel--just imagine how may times a day I was asked to say it! 

What I cannot  understand about Mike is why he kept demanding that Liz "find a right" on the map. Couldn't he just , you know, take a right when he came across one? Or why Liz didn't just say "there isn't a right for 700 miles! not until we cross into Bulgaria!" Mike refusing to turn around was the ultimate example of cutiing off his nose to spite his face. 

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, Pepper Mostly said:

Or why Liz didn't just say "there isn't a right for 700 miles! not until we cross into Bulgaria!" Mike refusing to turn around was the ultimate example of cutiing off his nose to spite his face. 

She did tell him more than once that there were no rights that took them back to where they needed to be but Mike just insisted that she had to be reading the map wrong and also refused to pull over to look at the map so he could blame her. 

• Love 7
On 5/12/2017 at 2:33 PM, Pepper Mostly said:

Yes!  The instructor was all sorts of rowr too, in my book.

Floyd should have done the changing of the guard. I think his drum major experience would have translated.

I would have totally swooned.  I heart Floyd and love marching bands. 

Greece is now on the list of places to go. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, gibasi said:

I am okay with U turns for the most part when you are playing a competitive game.  What I am not okay with is that Michael said to Brooke if I help you with the ladle you will not U turn me and she agreed.  So I don't think Scott and Brooke should have U turned them.  Granted I did not mind Michael and Liz and I agree I got a brother/sister vibe off of them.  They didn't seem to stay mad at each other for very long except for their first disagreement early on in the race.

First off, did Brooke agree to not U-Turn Michael/Liz when he helped her? It's been a few legs since, so I may not be remembering. But also, I think that those kinds of deals can only last so long. After a while, you have to forfeit the whole "I'll help you and then you must help me later" in order to get ahead. What happens if it's the last leg and a team owes another a favour? Who is it fair to to cash out on the deal then? It may not be the nicest move ever, but it's now over halfway through the race. There's a difference between screwing a team over early on in the race, because there are so many other teams that'll help not put you right into last, and screwing over a team when there's four or five teams left. In this case, there were six teams left. Six teams aren't a whole lot of teams left. 

In this case, Michael helped Brooke with the ladle on leg 4. This leg is leg 8. For us, yeah, it's been four weeks while for them, it's probably only been six days, but it's getting to the end of the race. Brooke and Scott wouldn't have known how difficult the future tasks for the leg would be, so they just ensured that they weren't going to be last, especially with the first four teams being all bundled up. For all they knew, Liz/Michael were minutes behind them. And let's face it; with Brooke's incompetency for the last five legs, they did the right thing.

ETA: So, I'm rewatching the exact part of Michael helping Brooke back on leg 4, and you are right. She did agree to no U-Turns, so it is a shitty situation. In hindsight, Brooke should have asked Matt/Redmond to U-Turn Michael/Liz for them in order to keep the deal. But I'm not sure if Brooke even remembered that deal. Michael asked her when she was still in a period of heightened emotion, where she was still freaking out over the ladle. Was it really fair of him to ask her of that favour right after he helped her? For me, I don't think it is, but I'm sure some people think it is just fair.

• Love 3