Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E19: High Heat

Holmes and Watson investigate the murder of a man Sherlock considered one of New York's worst private investigators. Also, Holmes stews over being beaten by Shinwell, so he decides to take out his aggression by dismantling a local organization of private investigators.

My station has gone right to the news, too, after airing Madam Secretary in Elementary's timeslot. It's no wonder the ratings have been poor this season. The show has been pushed back or pre-empted more than it's been on. 

Edited by Kathira
  • Love 7

Well, at least this week there was a throwaway line about Sherlock having a head cold. JLM sounded awful. The case of the week was a bit grisly but interesting enough. Hopefully the nyoopi guy will be a new recurring character. He is a former ATF agent so Sherlock could consult with him. Dan Lauria is one of those actors who makes everything he's in better.

Edited by orza
  • Love 3

I got a rerun instead of the new episode my DVR said it was supposed to be. I'm guessing CBS decided to delay the new episode for everyone due to the Masters running long and pushing everything back.

• Love 2

According to the Elementary Twitter feed, it was preempted in the Eastern & Central time zones, since golf went so long.  Does this mean they showed it on the West Coast?  What about the rest of us?  Will they put this online?  I checked CBS.com, and they don't have it there

They showed a rerun on West Coast....need CBS all access to watch last night's scheduled ep.

Of course I just went there to see if they have it and they don't soooooo beats the hell out of me....

Edited by Mama No Life

Those of you who couldn't see the episode didn't miss much. It was so boring I could barely pay attention! I still don't really know who did the killing, and why. And there was no Shinwell.

• Love 1

Because NCIS:Los Angeles and Madame Secretary get higher ratings and thus generate more ad revenue than Elementary. Golf attracts a lot of the kind of viewers advertisers like.

Okay, then.

First off we have two men burned alive in a crematorium.

Later on it turns out the same two men were actually murdered by being knocked over the head with a marble award by a young baseball player for reasons.

So why did they make such a point of the men being burned alive, instead of just saying their bodies were disposed of by being burned in a crematorium? and how did this teenage baseball player even know about the crematorium?

• Love 5

One of the men was severely injured but still alive when they put in him in the oven. Apparently, he regained consciousness to claw at the door. The charred hand print was evidence of that. The kid's uncle owned the crematorium.

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, orza said:

One of the men was severely injured but still alive when they put in him in the oven. Apparently, he regained consciousness to claw at the door. The charred hand print was evidence of that. The kid's uncle owned the crematorium.

Thank you.  The whole thing seemed far more convoluted than it needed to be.

I did like Sherlock making up the test for private detectives so the new organization would have only real detectives in it.  I hope Dan Lauria shows up again.

• Love 2

It's no wonder the ratings have been poor this season. The show has been pushed back or pre-empted more than it's been on. 

That's for sure. And I think it's safe to blame fair to mediocre ratings for years on that because trying to watch anything on CBS on a Sunday night is a real chore. You have to set your DVR to record everything that comes on after the show you are trying to record in addition to that show if you have any hope of catching it. If it's not football it's golf. You can see why people eventually just give up trying. If fact that's why I don't watch Madam Secretary: I started to, and then it just became just a headache trying to catch it I finally gave up.

• Love 6

It's now on the schedule for next Sunday.  It's at the regular time, following a 2 hr. program on the music of the Bee Gees.  I think they had an episode of NCIS scheduled at that time originally. 

• Love 2

I know there are many rumours about Lucy L. And J.L. Miller not getting along, but their on-screen chemistry is still pretty wonderful. (:

Sherlock: (Long diatribe with much information and statistics).

Watson: Now you are being a snob. (Tossing hair)

Sherlock: (Making a Sherlock face) Well somebody has to be.

May favourite moments of the show are still usually the two of them interacting.  

I didn't think JLM sounded awful, but his voice is definitely raspy from his cold. Poor guy should probably be at home in bed, but clearly the shooting schedule waits for no man

Also, I for one am happy that this was not a Shinwell centered episode. I was happy for the break from that storyline. 

• Love 4

He definitely sounded like he had a cold so I'm glad they mentioned it in passing. See, show? You can explain things with a two second line!

I hope we get to see Kevin Arnold's dad in future episodes. When I saw his name in the credits, I thought he would end up being the bad guy (even before his character appeared) so I was pleasantly surprised to be wrong about that.

Poor Joan. When Sherlock isn't waking her up in horrendous ways, he's using her bedroom as a fake blood splatter pit.

Joan and Sherlock often end up coming around to the other person's point of view, so I'm glad that Joan was totally unbothered by NYOOPI's existence no matter how much Sherlock complained about it. I do understand Sherlock's issue with it though. Since the advent of the internet, there has been a huge surge in professions that now allow you to get a meaningless credential (online or through a weekend long course) so that people can say they are certified but there are no real standards. For Sherlock, someone who pays attention to detail and believes in looking at the evidence instead of jumping to conclusions, I can see why it would be so frustrating that any idiot without any training can pay the $287 annual fee to be listed on the website as an investigator. Not only does it put Sherlock at equal stature with these untrained "investigators," but it hurts the people who are paying for these services.

I was glad for a break from the Shinwell storyline too. When Joan and Sherlock started talking about it at the beginning of the episode, I was inwardly groaning because I was afraid they were going to talk about it for the entire episode.

• Love 4
17 hours ago, orza said:

The crematorium belonged to the cousin of the baseball coach - the unsuccessful confessor - but successful accessory after the fact....

• Love 1
On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 9:21 PM, Deanie87 said:

Same here and it happens all the time. It's bad enough they air it on the most competitive night of the week, now they don't even air it at all.  

I do not understand why CBS moved Elementary to Sundays; I preferred it on Thursdays. Heck for the longest time I had no idea when Elementary was on. I thought it had gotten cancelled!

18 hours ago, iMonrey said:

You can see why people eventually just give up trying. If fact that's why I don't watch Madam Secretary: I started to, and then it just became just a headache trying to catch it I finally gave up.

I have to say the move to Sunday has decreased my watching. Most of the time it's not on because of some sport or it starts late; I got so frustrated with not knowing what was going on in the next episode because I missed the previous episode that for awhile I stopped watching.

• Love 4

I thought there were scenes where Miller sounded like his old self in between ones with the raspy cold-voice. If you were so inclined you could probably establish the shooting order by closely listening.

Episode should have been called 'School of Red Herrings' given all the twists and turns. I'm also glad we got a Shinwell break. Joan wearing animal prints is an amusing character trait I had not noticed before but checking out her pelican outfit from this episode made me realize how many pieces of her wardrobe feature fauna (with a definite avian preference).

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 2

I did like Sherlock making up the test for private detectives so the new organization would have only real detectives in it. 

I loved that he made Joan take the test first. "Make me proud, Watson." 

Even funnier was that after he walked away, Joan started reading the test with great interest, like she wanted to see if she could kick ass and get the highest grade. Heee.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, nitrofishblue said:

Darn, CBS hasn't posted his episode on the On Demand channel. When will we get the chance to see it?

As of right now, in approximately 35 hours and 34 minutes not counting any further golf delays.

Edited by johntfs
12 hours ago, johntfs said:

19 hours ago, nitrofishblue said:

Darn, CBS hasn't posted his episode on the On Demand channel. When will we get the chance to see it?

As of right now, in approximately 35 hours and 34 minutes not counting any further golf delays.

In other words, it will be broadcast after the BeeGees special on Easter (in its regular slot), instead of the NCISLA rerun they originally had scheduled.

Ah, so CBS actually aired it this time.  Thanks, CBS!

Glad to take a break from the Shinwell stuff, but I called the son, as soon as Joan met him, since they focused on him and playing baseball in a way that made it obvious there was going to be more to him, then just the bastard son of one of the victims.  All the twists and turns messed with my head, but I was able to get that basically it boiled down to his real father having some kind of hereditary disease that could have cost him a baseball contract, so he killed them in a rage, after they tried to bribe him.  And he might have gotten away with it too, if he actually took the murder weapon with him instead of loudly throwing it in a dumpster!

Hope we see Dan Lauria's character again.  I like the idea of an organization of public investigators, and Sherlock finding a way to weed out the ones who aren't up to it.  But I certainly hope Joan passes his test!

I know Sherlock can be self-centered, but I would have thought even he would know by now to ask Joan permission first, before he uses her room to test out blood patterns (even if he kindly covered everything up.)  Although, I guess I can choose to believe this was his passive aggressive way of getting back at her for signing them up to that P.I. organization in the first place.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 5

Holmes handing Watson the picture of the soot handprint: "Here, have a nightmare."

Gah!

This was as typically convoluted and red-herringed as most of the episodes this season. And beating someone to death with a marble shotput? Well, it was one of the more original murder weapons they've used, but after the reveal the murderer was a baseball pitcher I just had to roll my eyes. How convenient, the victim has something lying around almost exactly like a baseball...yeah, no.

They can only torture us with the Shinwell nonsense for another three episodes, as I don't see it continuing into next season.

• Love 4

I can see Sherlock using sex to deal with his beating by Shinwell, but I'd expect Sherlock to instead do his voodoo to help Shinwell take down the gang and then send Shinwell back to prison.  Shinwell might say he never killed anyone, but if he didn't kill his friend, then who did?  He didn't try to warn his friend or save his friend, I think he said he knew it was going to happen.  Doesn't that make him a killer in the eyes of the law?

I suppose that we'll find out it was one of three things, put under a spoiler tag so you don't have to read it if you're just too tired of Shinwell to care anymore:

Spoiler

1)  Shinwell pulled the trigger, but because he was lied to about why he had to do it he doesn't think of himself as a killer, but as a tool used to carry out the killing.

2)  Shinwell and his friend entered the apartment with another man who didn't say anything, but waited for the friend to turn his back and then shot him.  Shinwell didn't try to warn his friend because he knew what was coming and didn't say "Dude!  What the hell?  Why'd you do that?"  Because Shinwell knew why the shooting happened, he didn't exclaim on it or get shot himself because he was a witness.

3)  The friend's younger brother did the killing, and Shinwell covered it up for him, for whatever reason.  And Shinwell is willing to keep covering up for the younger brother even though he seems to know that same man took a shot at Shinwell not too long ago.  The younger brother was also able to convince Sherlock that he was in the next room and didn't have anything to do with the killing.  I suppose that Shinwell used his training with Sherlock to coach the brother on how to fool Sherlock, and the attempted shooting was a fake-out.  Why?  I don't know, and am only minimally curious, but I'm afraid we'd have to see much more of Shinwell in the future if Scenario #3 is the truth, and I can't stand that possibility.

As for the murders on tonight's show, it wasn't particularly inventive.  Someone killing because they were about to earn some big bucks and someone else could prevent them from doing that?  Not uncommon.  Doesn't matter if it was because the killer was an athlete, that sort of thing has happened before.  They didn't even say that the killer was trying to keep his mother from knowing that his father had impregnated another woman, or that he was trying to keep his father's heroic act untainted by his adultery.

The killer being able to kill quietly, and even load the bodies into the borrowed car in the middle of an apartment complex is strange.  Are there no security cameras there?  I guess that the killer didn't have enough experience covering up crimes to simply wipe off the marble ball and put it back on the shelf before removing the bodies, but who would throw it across the parking lot into a metal garbage bin just after loading two dead bodies into a vehicle?  Why not throw it in the back with the bodies and deal with it later?

And now I confess that towards the end of the show I started to get distracted by an online game I was playing, so I don't know if the coach was there at the time of the murders or brought his vehicle to the apartment and helped load the bodies after the fact.  I think the coach was brought in after the killings and didn't know anything about them until the killer called him after he was stuck in an apartment with two dead bodies?

Edited by Zahdii
  • Love 3

I enjoyed this ep - likely because there was no Shinwell. 

Cracked up at the Joan bench! 

Do JLM and Lucy really not get along? Could not tell by their on-screen chemistry.

No Shinwell! Huzzah! Look, I don't hate the guy, but I find his plot to be VERY boring, and completely unconnected to anything or anyone else. I'm fine with him showing up from time to time, but his story gets in my nerves when it seems to be taking over.

I liked the plot of Sherlock being annoyed by the low standards of the PI group, and I was glad to see him somewhat compromise in the end, when he saw that Wonder Years dad actually was trying to make it a better organization. Plus, his glee at handing Joan her test, and her slightly excited look made me laugh really hard.

The case itself was classic Elementary Sea of Red Hearings, going from low class PIs, to a mass shooting, to freaking Chernobyl, to paternity tests and heredity diseases, and finally ending at baseball and Whos Your Daddy drama. My jaw would drop to the floor if we started a murder looking like it was about one obvious thing, and throughout the whole episode, it was actually about that one thing. And I totally knew the baseball kid would have something to do with it, or else they wouldn't have bothered spending so much time establishing he was a baseball player.

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

The case itself was classic Elementary Sea of Red Hearings, leaking from low class PIs, to a mass shooting, to freaking Chernobyl, to paternity tests and heredity diseases, and finally ending at baseball and Whos Your Daddy drama.

This felt like a weirder group of herrings than usual.  I mean, Chernobyl?

On 4/11/2017 at 1:13 PM, Fireball said:

I have to say the move to Sunday has decreased my watching. Most of the time it's not on because of some sport or it starts late; I got so frustrated with not knowing what was going on in the next episode because I missed the previous episode that for awhile I stopped watching.

It is obnoxious.  It makes the season arc hard to follow.  Close of 80% of the time I have to stream it later.  Is Sunday just assumed to be DVR night?

• Love 4
On 4/11/2017 at 2:10 AM, Kelda Feegle said:

I feel sorry that JLM has a cold but I actually think he sounds sexier with the deeper tone.

I agree I already think he's hot but his voice in this episode. Add to that him working out and the shirtless opening, yum. I think I need to just take a cold shower.

• Love 3

"I can see Sherlock using sex to deal with his beating by Shinwell, "

I'll have to re watch. It seemed to me that Shinwell caught Sherlock while he was out getting snacks during a sex break. Why else would his waiting partner ask Sherlock "Did I do that?", seemingly referring to his injuries? Thought it funny that her response to his "No, you didn't leave a scratch" was "Well, the night is still young". 

Our Sherlock can definitely be a bit of a masochist.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, MisterGlass said:

This felt like a weirder group of herrings than usual.  I mean, Chernobyl?

To be fair, *Sherlock* didn't believe the Chernobyl conspiracy theory.  He said that Fred Kirby might, and that could have led to his death.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, LisaM said:

Do JLM and Lucy really not get along? Could not tell by their on-screen chemistry.

Oh I hadn't hear that--maybe it's more like they're always working together so they don't want to spend time with each other off the set?

I always love Sherlock and Joan's interactions and his "Make me proud!"  when he handed her his test was awesome and I like that he wanted to improve the web site and make the detectives more accountable when they signed onto the listing.  I wonder how many will actually pass the test? :)

And I can deal with all of the twists and turns the investigations take but I was rolling my eyes out of my head when the baseball player and his friend were drooling over Joan while asking her to come to his game.  Yes, she's an attractive woman but there is no way in hell a twenty one year old kid's going to be checking out a woman in her forties.

Just as a side note, Rebecca Luker is a famous Broadway actress--I saw her in two different shows (The Sound of Music and Rodger and Hammerstein's Cinderella)--so good for her for getting some TV work :):)

• Love 1
20 hours ago, LisaM said:

I enjoyed this ep - likely because there was no Shinwell. 

Cracked up at the Joan bench! 

There are rumours going back a couple of years that they have a lot of friction on-set. 

There was a great deal of speculation that the rumoured tension between the two is why there are so few scenes in season 2 and 3 where they are actually facing each other and dialoguing like in season 1. 

Once someone pointed it out I did notice that a great number of the scenes have Sherlock and Watson both facing somebody else interview style. Or there is another person in the scene that they are interacting with, instead of looking or speaking directly to each other. 

If you go back I think you will be surprised by that, as I was. And I agree that their onscreen relationship is still the strongest part of the show. 

59 minutes ago, kitmerlot1213 said:

Yes, she's an attractive woman but there is no way in hell a twenty one year old kid's going to be checking out a woman in her forties.

Maybe they have better taste than most 21 year olds.  Lucy Lui is supernova hot.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, kitmerlot1213 said:

Yes, she's an attractive woman but there is no way in hell a twenty one year old kid's going to be checking out a woman in her forties.

I'm not sure "MILF" would be such a thing if there weren't young men checking out the more experienced women.

• Love 3