Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E16: Memphis

• Start Topic

Two friends lost their dads in the past couple of days, so that didn't help. There weren't any big surprises here, but there were explanations, and closure, which is a blessing, and lovely storytelling, a celebration of human nature and some remarkable performances. Thanks again, Show. Btw, you owe me a case of Kleenex.

• Love 8

Seeing William with his mother shed some light into how he behaved with Rebecca back in the day. He could have been more threatening with Rebecca, demanding to see Randall. But I think he is used to being quite solicitous to mothers. I wonder how he would have been if it was Jack, not Rebecca, knocking on his door those two times.

• Love 15
1 hour ago, lizzyp said:

I think this is one of 'TV's Most Affecting Death Scenes' for me.  Henry Blake on MASH, Mark Green on ER, Edith Bunker, Denny on Greys, William.  I am not going to be okay for several days

Henry Blake on MASH ripped me apart. And George's death on Greys,,,ugh !!! William's death tonight...my crying hurt.

• Love 3

My cousins just lost their father last weekend and coincidentally, he was a blues singer from Memphis.  As you can imagine, I am a mess. 

This was the most beautiful episode of any show I've ever seen. Just beautifully done and pays true justice to William's character.  I am literally sobbing.  Like tears and snot just pouring out of my face.  I've never actually sobbed and heaved over a show before.  Well done all around.  

Edited by Spencer Hastings
  • Love 13

This episode sure produced a lot of dust, especially during the hospital scenes. There was so much dust I had to pause it.

I think we know what episode will be submitted for Randall & William's Emmy noms

• Love 11

I have a question about Randall's job.  I have heard Beth use the terms "making partner" about his job. And tonight Randall himself used those terms. What kind of partner is he if he has a boss that can take away clients and bring in a new guy ? I know what being a partner at a law firm means, but Randall isn't a lawyer. So, what kind of partner is he ?

I wish they would have told us a little more about Randall's hospital stay after his breakdown. They really rushed over it.

• Love 5

So much ugly crying from me tonight. The three year anniversary of my dad's death is in less than two weeks so I don't know how much of my crying was related to that and how much of it was due to the amazing acting on the show. 

I love Randall as a character so much. He's the kind of guy who likes making the bed, which would make you assume he's an uptight control freak, but he's also the kind of guy who will do the robot at a jazz club. Loved how he got so excited when William's cousin said that Randall looked like William. As much as he loves the Pearsons, this is what he's been looking for his whole life - his biological family, people who knew his dad, people who look like him.

Loved the talk that William had with Jack.

• Love 13

Really strong episode.  That's two in a row...

I don't believe in an afterlife, but William talking to Jack at the tree got the waterworks going.  (As did, of course, the end.)

I wonder who wrote William's song?  Good tune!

The only thing that slightly dinged this for a point or two off was that William's great love Jesse, who was going to see him through to the end, was nowhere to be seen and never spoken of.  Seems like they really kind of dropped that thread, which is a thing they do on this show.

6 hours ago, Dreamboat Annie said:

Something tells me we won't have to miss William - this show thrives on flashbacks for its storytelling and he's a part of the story.  At the very least I think we will see William and Jesse say goodbye.  And I'm hopeful William and Beth too because that was not a satisfying conclusion to the relationship they had.

They do a lot of flashbacks, but I would honestly find it strange and very surprising if they do any from after the year 2000, and especially if they do any showing events contemporaneous with the ones we have already seen.  So I think if we get William again, it will probably be younger William.  But we'll see.

• Love 5

Two of the parts that I liked best about this epi were two small parts.  The first was when they drank from the "white" fountain.  Much more meaningful to William than Randall.  And, the other was when they went to the house and he found his treasure and the couple that lived there were just looking at each other like "what happened?" 

Other than that, just a good solid epi in total. And a good way for William to end his life.  I'm glad the doctor let them go.  And I think it was good that he died in Memphis instead of up north. That was his real home, or where his heart was.   I'm kind of wondering when he got addicted to drugs and how long that lasted.

And, I saw someone say they were disappointed Jesse wasn't there. I'm not.  They never did anything with that, and it seems to me that they just stuck that whole thing in there to be PC.

• Love 6

To me, Jesse was something thrown for a specific story but wasn’t really needed and became forgotten like Kate's job. With William’s flashback, I had wondered if there would be an acknowledgement of his bisexuality. Did his family know, did he keep it hidden or was it subtle? It seems to have been dropped. Seeing William with Laurel, Randall’s mother, I had forgotten about Jesse until I read this forum. Randall knows about her because he asked William at the end of one episode but the audience doesn’t know anything. While I was happy Randall met his cousins and he was excited to see them, I wondered about the family on his mother’s side. Not sure if the writers will ever explore that.

That said, both actors should submit this for their Emmy and Golden Globe nominations.

• Love 7
9 hours ago, CofCinci said:
9 hours ago, SuzieQ said:

Have lots of Kleenex handy!

We done run out of Kleenex over here after this episode and had to dip into the generic 'facial tissue'.

Like an idiot I didn't have tissues handy. I just used my sleeve to wipe my big old honkin' crocodile tears. I was with both my parents - 9 months apart - when they each passed and both were "good deaths" (I mean as good as death can be that is). We got to say things a little before so there was nothing left unsaid, no regrets, etc. And that William got a peaceful death, with the person he loved most at the end (and the other person he loved most at his beginnings of life)...just really hit home. In a good way. These two actors are just phenomenal. If they don't win awards for this show - even more specifically this episode - then there is seriously something wrong with whoever makes those decisions!

And yes, I have big old puffy eyes from bawling like a baby last night too! : )

• Love 5
9 hours ago, SuzieQ said:
9 hours ago, CofCinci said:

This episode clearly demonstrates that Sterling K. Brown is a completely different acting class than his two television siblings.

I've loved SKB since Army Wives!  He's in a class by himself after this episode.  

Me too! And he was also just so great in the FX miniseries about the OJ trials. He is honestly one of my very favorite actors ever. Just EVERYTHING he is acting in, is a great watch.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, ChelleGame said:

I am a wreck.

What a beautiful episode. I love the return of non-cynical TV. Love that no one in the cast or on the writing staff is afraid of emotion. Heartfelt is not a bad word to me and I am glad this show has hit home for people.

The ducks ripped me to shreds.  Had a similar experience after my mother died. For years she and I drove down the same road. It had an abandoned train track on it.  Every time we'd pass it, one of us would comment that it would be a pretty view from a train window.  In fifteen years we never once saw a train on those tracks.

The day she died I was trying to make it home to her. My husband and I drove past the tracks on the way there and a train was speeding along those tracks. My husband knew the story too. I just started to sob and I told him my mother was dead. I just knew it. I was right. She was gone by the time we got to the house. I have a picture of those tracks as my screen saver. I felt like a beautiful last gift from her.

There is nothing in my story but blind faith, emotion, and zero logic and I just love that this show is filled with moments like that.

When those ducks crossed the road I just came undone.  Reminded me of the train.

There's a beautiful book filled with remembrances by people who've had similar experiences after a love one passes away. This felt real to me like those stories.

Love this show.

And now I'm ugly-crying again. Beautiful even though it's sad. 

• Love 6
9 hours ago, Ryan Chamberlain said:

And, I am so gonna miss Ron Cephas Jones. Miss him so much.

Since the show is kind of based on flashbacks, maybe we'll see Randall remembering things they did/said during their time together that we didn't see on-camera. As in - RCJ would still be filming new flashback scenes. Hey, it could happen with this show! We can hope anyway, right?

• Love 4

I was too weepy to post anything specific last night but I hope we see more of Ricky.  I think most people (maybe) just have a cousin like Ricky, who was once wild and hilarious when he was young but still has that sarcastic spark to him. 

I loved Randall's excitement about meeting cousin Ricky and his interruptions trying to figure out how they were related.  Ricky's "What's wrong with him" was easily the lightest moment of the night, as was the couple quietly asking what the hell William was doing when he started taking their fireplace apart.  This show is great because they kill you with big moments but also knock the small moments out of the park. 

Edited by Spencer Hastings
  • Love 8
8 hours ago, SimoneS said:

After watching Sterling K. as Chris Darden in the People vs. OJ Simpson, I decided that I would watch whatever he did next. When I read he was going to be in this new show "This Is Us" I knew had to watch.

Same here! When watching him in the People vs. OJ, it took me awhile to figure out where I'd seen him before and then it hit me - Army Wives! And just like you, I decided I'd watch anything I knew he would be acting in.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, SimoneS said:

Yes, that was one of moments I forgot to mention. Randall's pure joy that he finally looks like someone. It was like that boy who kept count of every black man he encountered hit the lottery.

Randall's face when he meets Cousin Ricky and his inappropriate joy (and interruptions) during the serious stuff between William and Ricky was a great tension breaker.

6 hours ago, chocolatine said:

Finally, I was glad that Randall's bio mother (Laura, was it?) helped take care of William's dying mother and wasn't "just" a junkie.

I loved this as well.  First, I love the call back to the earlier scenes of them meeting on the bus.  Interesting that that took place in Memphis and not in Pittsburgh.  And the nice tidbit of William liking to take buses.

But I like that it showed how insidious the fall into the drug use was.  Friendly neighbors, casual drinking, a way to step away from the sick room and then the introduction of the drugs.  But before that it was sweet.  And I think the actress who played Randall's mother is simply stunning looking.

6 hours ago, Court said:

I'm officially in love with Sterling K. Brown. That's all I got.

The play of emotions on his face while he was stopped for the ducks was superb.  It is like his face went through the seven stages of grief in just that minute and you could easily identify them all.  Man, SKB can act his face off! 

• Love 16
3 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

I loved this as well.  First, I love the call back to the earlier scenes of them meeting on the bus.  Interesting that that took place in Memphis and not in Pittsburgh.  And the nice tidbit of William liking to take buses.

I don't think it was Memphis.  Remember he leaves Memphis to go to his mother, who has stayed where her mother was, and I believe that was Pittsburgh.  When he first arrives she tells him she has to nap and he should get on the bus and explore the city and bring home chicken. 

• Love 19
1 hour ago, SlackerInc said:

I just remembered something else I wanted to comment on: are we all agreed that William's cousin (Paper Boi from Atlanta) had the best old-age makeup we've seen so far?

I thought just the opposite - second worst makeup job only to Miguel.

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, ShadowFacts said:

I don't think it was Memphis.  Remember he leaves Memphis to go to his mother, who has stayed where her mother was, and I believe that was Pittsburgh.  When he first arrives she tells him she has to nap and he should get on the bus and explore the city and bring home chicken. 

Oh, you're right.  I had my flashbacks mixed up.  LOL.

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, JudyObscure said:

I cried. 

I have nothing critical to say.

This damn show has made me into a different person.

Whoa.

@DearEvette,  I agree that Randall's mom is incredibly gorgeous. I wonder if the woman playing her is a model or something. She has acted in a way, but not with any lines that I can remember. 

• Love 4
10 hours ago, MelGoLightly said:

Same. Same. Same. I even started to wonder if I was partially dead and cold inside with all the crying going on while I was just busy analyzing their lives. 

This episode broke me down. The tears first came when William paid his respects to Jack but I recovered for memphis. When I saw Randall talking to the air in the motel and not getting a response, I actually said out loud "oh no, oh no, oh no..." 

And for the last 15 minutes, I ugly cried hard. HARD. 

Those damn ducks. It's like I'd fought a long hard battle and was on the ground in full submission and the enemy finished me off with a swift slash of the throat. Complete and total mess. 

SKB is immensely talented and RCJ did an amazing job as well. The actor who plays young/20s William does an amazing job of portraying Old William's characteristics and movements as a younger, more innocent and swift version. That takes serious talent to achieve that nuance. Just magical, all of these three performances. 

But! It was also somehow a really amazingly fun episode even though so heart wrenching at the same time. The performance scenes (both in the 70s and present) were really enjoyable. So much depth in one 45 minute episode. 

Show, I am yours forever and ever. Damn it. 

now THAT is some fantastic writing!  well said!!

• Love 6
10 hours ago, Amethyst said:

The only flaw in the episode was that we learned nothing about Randall's mother.  She seemed like a sweet girl that William met on the bus, but not the love of his life that I was expecting.  Still, getting more background on William's mother (and his late father) was really moving.  It seems like William got into drugs because he was depressed about his mother's death.

I was surprised by Randall's mom not playing a bigger part. I had assumed she was the love of his life from the earlier episode. When he acknowledged, at death, that the best people in his life were his mom and Randall, I was a little thrown off. 

10 hours ago, Portia said:

Weirdo here. This ep was very uneven for me, mainly because I've found William fairly unlikable all along. (And it sure didn't help anything when he threw the maps out the window. Heehee, his littering is so wacky and outrageous!) That being said, I thought the ending was lovely and cried buckets. I'm not made of stone, after all. 

I don't find him super likable either.  And they shoved the "William is perfect except for the one time he abandoned his baby" angle a little too hard. I almost feel like the writers wanted to make sure we didn't judge him too hard for that to the point we didn't connect, but it went the other way for me.  Even his cousin had to tell us what a great guy he was as a young man.   That being said, his death scene and the ducks still affected me. No tears, but I was sad.   

I don't think Randall's mom was William's great love. I don't think Jesse was either. I think he didn't have one. Not that he didn't love them, but the love wasn't EPIC in the way this show likes to present. His loves were his mom, his music and finally, Randall. I still do hope that Jesse shows back up next week. Even if not a great love, he should be acknowledged.

• Love 19

One small thing I really appreciated is that both Randall and William refer to Jack as Randall's dad. It wasn't until the very end in the hospital that Randall called William "dad" (I didn't imagine that, right?).

William's treasure in the fireplace reminded me of the box of treasures that Amélie found in the wall of her apartment. To anyone else, it's nothing but to the person who hid it there, it was treasure then and getting it back as an adult is getting a piece of their past back.

• Love 20

I love that William got a chance to visit his home and say one last goodbye to everybody. If one has to die (and we all must), it is nice if one can get closure. William seems to have spent most of his life in regret - regretting losing his son, regretting his choices, regretting that he never returned to his cousin with his songs. He went up North to visit his "slightly ill" Mom and he spiralled after her death. When he gave up his son, his life seemed to have largely paused. He  appears to have never even contacted his cousin again.

Randall knocking on his door again got his life going again. He finally truly warmed after a lifetime of drift. He connected with his son and his family and then went back to say goodbye to his cousins.

It was so nice that he could give Randall the gift of memories and family. Finally, Randall can roll down the window and not worry about always being perfect. William's dying was very sad, but we had time to prepare for it and I think he went out on a good note. 

I actually got totally taken out of the duck moment. Just as those meandering ducks would have been one lane over, a big vehicle is reflected in Randall's windshield as it zips by. 

That was Randall's song playing when he met his Mom in the afterlife, wasn't it?

Edited by kili
  • Love 19
1 hour ago, llewis823 said:

Same here! When watching him in the People vs. OJ, it took me awhile to figure out where I'd seen him before and then it hit me - Army Wives! And just like you, I decided I'd watch anything I knew he would be acting in.

Army Wives! Completely forgot about that one - I really liked that show. He was awesome in the People vs OJ too. Just an all around outstanding actor...

• Love 1

Count me as one of the people who went through a big-ass box of Kleenex, from approximately 3 minutes into the show right up until the end (and am reaching for one now as I read this thread). 

I won't rehash everything that has been said here ... I tweeted last night that this episode HAS to be nominated for an Emmy, maybe the finest and most moving hour of TV I've seen in ages ...

IMHO, there is only one thing that could have made that ending even more perfect and would have completely sent me over the deep end ...

In that final scene, I would have loved it if a certain handsome young man in a uniform had been standing next to William's young-again mother when he walked into her arms so that family could finally be (re)united. (I'm ALMOST surprised that it wasn't a younger William walking into the room, but that might have been perceived as a memory rather than afterlife.)

I'm not sure if anyone here has seen the film "Longtime Companion" (and I am sure the trope of loved ones being reunited on the other side has ended many a movie) but that last scene in that film always sets me off weeping audibly.

ETA: Another thing I loved, if I remember this correctly, was how they used the same footage they used in an earlier episode of young William meeting Laura on the bus, and I think even the same music, but this time they added more pieces of the meeting ...

ETAA: I had to IMDB it to see who played William's dad because, even in that brief scene, he looked so familiar and saw that he had figured prominently in a later episode of Criminal Minds which I recall pretty vividly (I did a massive bingewatch of that entire series last summer). 

Edited by PamelaMaeSnap
Adding a few ETAs at the end
  • Love 5

Whew. I didn't want to comment until reading all posts this morning, which I've now done. Thanks to everyone for sharing their reactions and emotions, they are all truly heartfelt.

I did not cry, but that's just me, and not a reflection on the contents of the episode (I didn't cry when either of my parents died, so make of that what you will). But although I didn't cry, I was deeply moved by much of the episode and I thought it was well done. I recall that last week, a few folks posted that this episode looked as if it might be boring. I sort of thought so as well, initially, but as soon as William said goodbye to his granddaughters, I knew he'd be dying and no, that was anything but boring.

I liked cousin Ricky quite a bit. At first, I thought he might be the one to lure William into the drug use, but it turned out to be Randall's mom (and I'm not blaming her 100% - William made a choice, a bad choice by his own admission). I'm very glad that Ricky and William reconciled, if even for literally just one night. And younger Ricky's singing of William's song was extremely enjoyable - I'd download it - does anyone know if it's available? Seriously.

The ducks crossing the road was a bit cheesy but I get it.

I very much liked William talking to Jack at Jack's tree. He was brief - said his respectful and sincere thanks - and seemed very much at peace with the conversation. I found the scene gratifying.

I don't believe in an afterlife either, but William's reunion with his own mother was lovely. She was very special and it is comforting on some level to think of the two of them happily together again.

I will miss William but I feel that his character served its purpose - to open up and reveal more layers of Randall. I know Randall is one of three, and perhaps we will see future episodes in which the focus is only Kevin and only Kate. But right now, I really want to see how Randall processes this newfound information and background and all of these profound experiences and how he will incorporate them into his life going forward. He is at a crossroads of sorts - still a very young man with a long life (hopefully) ahead of him, but everything he's been through since finding William will influence him for years to come. I'm curious to see that - how he struggles to reconcile all of it and move forward. And with an actor such as this, we could be in for a treat.

• Love 9
10 hours ago, SimoneS said:

After watching Sterling K. as Chris Darden in the People vs. OJ Simpson, I decided that I would watch whatever he did next. When I read he was going to be in this new show "This Is Us" I knew had to watch. I hoped that he wouldn't just be in a supporting role, but boy has Fogelman surpassed my expectations, featuring SKB as one of the leads. I am so excited that he has gotten roles in the Black Panther as well as the new Predator movie.

I did the reverse.  I was at home sick yesterday and watched the People vs. OJ.  I wanted to give Darden a hug every time he was on screen.  I recommend it for any SKB fans.  He gives a lot of depth to one of the least interesting characters in the OJ saga.

• Love 5
12 minutes ago, Biggie B said:

I will miss William but I feel that his character served its purpose - to open up and reveal more layers of Randall. I know Randall is one of three, and perhaps we will see future episodes in which the focus is only Kevin and only Kate. But right now, I really want to see how Randall processes this newfound information and background and all of these profound experiences and how he will incorporate them into his life going forward. He is at a crossroads of sorts - still a very young man with a long life (hopefully) ahead of him, but everything he's been through since finding William will influence him for years to come. I'm curious to see that - how he struggles to reconcile all of it and move forward. And with an actor such as this, we could be in for a treat.

It is interesting because I did not like William at first.  Even though the show had barely even started when he was introduced he felt like an intruder to me.  But then I loved how his story unfolded.  I have seen on here in various posts him called a 'saint' but I don't think that is the case.  Up until this episode I would have said he was simply a decent man who tried to do well.  Which, let's face, is the majority of people in the world.  We just hear about the monsters more.  But then he said "I haven't had a happy life." And this made me more sad than his death.  I think the show did a good job of showing  complex, but frustratingly unfulfilled life. 

I did come to like William because I think the complexities of the character was fascinating and I did see his flaws -- he seemed rather passive and his lost opportunities weren't the work of things beyond his control but as the result of choices he made (or didn't make) allowing his life to happen rather than acting upon it.  Yeah, even though I did end up liking him and will miss him, I also think he served his purpose.

• Love 12

And younger Ricky's singing of William's song was extremely enjoyable - I'd download it - does anyone know if it's available? Seriously.

iTunes has both versions of the song (the one song by Randall's cousin and the one that played over the montage at the end).  As does Amazon.

I wonder who wrote William's song?  Good tune!

Siddhartha Khosla and Chris Pierce (interview with Brian Tyree)

Edited by kili
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, J0nas3 said:

Okay it got me. Took 16 episodes, but they got me. I actually hadn't cried until tonight, which is weird when you consider I cried the first time I heard Hamilton all the way through.

I haven't cried either, and the only reason I didn't this time was by sheer force of will. (just getting over a cold and the thought of more tissues kept me strong).

11 hours ago, CofCinci said:

This episode clearly demonstrates that Sterling K. Brown is a completely different acting class than his two television siblings.

Absolutely, though to be fair, they haven't been given anything as meaty as this to work with.

11 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Ok, I was distracted by the lack of Jesse mentions, but I'll let it slide because the episode was still beautifully done. im. 

Me too. It is strange they hired such a great actor for a role that seemed it had interesting potential, and then just let him drop off the face of the earth.

9 hours ago, breezy424 said:

Sorry but I didn't cry. I did like Randall and William going back to William's roots.  What bothered me was the 'jump' from Willy being this great guy and song writer going from that to a drug addict.  Yeah, his mother died and his girlfriend went from this sweet caring person to drug addict because of a neighbor of William's mom?   I get that William's mom dying was a very big deal.  It just was a really big leap for me, for both characters.

Interesting perspective. To me it seemed a very logical slide into addiction. Drug addicts didn't start out being bad guys (well, maybe some of them). They started out, like everyone, with potential.

• Love 12
11 hours ago, J0nas3 said:

Okay it got me. Took 16 episodes, but they got me. I actually hadn't cried until tonight, which is weird when you consider I cried the first time I heard Hamilton all the way through.

We're all long lost twins here. I did the same thing, with this episode and Hamilton. I sob at It's Quiet Uptown. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, deaja said:
13 hours ago, Amethyst said:

The only flaw in the episode was that we learned nothing about Randall's mother.  She seemed like a sweet girl that William met on the bus, but not the love of his life that I was expecting.  Still, getting more background on William's mother (and his late father) was really moving.  It seems like William got into drugs because he was depressed about his mother's death.

I was surprised by Randall's mom not playing a bigger part. I had assumed she was the love of his life from the earlier episode. When he acknowledged, at death, that the best people in his life were his mom and Randall, I was a little thrown off. 

The way I'm seeing it is that they're peeling away layers of the story slowly. In particular, the sequence that depicts how William and girlfriend slid into addiction we saw in Episode 1 was repeated in this episode, but this time we saw that it happened in parallel with his mother's health declining. I think this show has a plan and it's to unfold this family's history very methodically and with a specific purpose. I think we'll learn more about the mother in a later episode in a way that will reveal more about Randall and his mother's relationship. 

Edited by MelGoLightly
  • Love 10