Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E06: A Southern Legend

FormerMod-a1
  • Start Topic

16 hours ago, Marmiarmo said:

The real surprise for me this week was the news that Jim is married to a woman.  He pinged my gaydar from episode one!  Beyond that, I got nothing.

I was also getting a mail order bride vibe from his wife. Jesus forgive me.

• Love 9
7 minutes ago, spankydoll said:

I am even more mortified at not knowing who Edna Lewis was. I have over 100 cookbooks, watch every food related show I can (Seriously - I even watched that Bourdain's horrible The Taste) and lived in the South for many years. And here I sit clueless. I have already ordered her cookbook on Amazon.

I highly recommend reading "The Jemima Code: Two Centuries of African American Cookbooks" by Toni Tipton-Martin (who was on the show last night).  The release of that book about a year ago coincided with a big re-release of Edna Lewis' seminal cookbook, and a brief storm of media attention about the centrality of people of color to developing many of our most beloved foodways.

ETA: I'm afraid I disagree that Lifetime is a more reputable network than Bravo, Andy Cohen & Co.'s crass antics notwithstanding, though.

Edited by some1105
  • Love 18

Is it really sad that, until this episode, I thought Jim worked at a restaurant called "The State of Alabama"? I recall thinking that seemed like a dumb name for a restaurant. Then in this episode, it was like, "oh, duh...he works for the state government!"

• Love 18
40 minutes ago, spankydoll said:

I am even more mortified at not knowing who Edna Lewis was. I have over 100 cookbooks, watch every food related show I can (Seriously - I even watched that Bourdain's horrible The Taste) and lived in the South for many years. And here I sit clueless. I have already ordered her cookbook on Amazon.

You're not the only one; the episode has already led to a spike in sales.  

36 minutes ago, some1105 said:

I highly recommend reading "The Jemima Code: Two Centuries of African American Cookbooks" by Toni Tipton-Martin (who was on the show last night).

I second that recommendation.

• Love 4

Quite enjoyed the episode; agree with the various comments on the crappy quickfire.

When Jamie missed one plate, and it ended up in front of Padma, she got that haughty tone and said "Care to tell me what happened?" (or some other shitty phrase).  I would have given serious money if Jamie had answered, "Well, you're looking a bit chunky these days, Padma. I figured it wouldn't hurt you to miss a course".  Cut to Tom, Gail and Hugh-ni-brow giggling like schoolgirls.

Alas, 'twas not to be.

• Love 11
16 minutes ago, Darth Nigel said:

Quite enjoyed the episode; agree with the various comments on the crappy quickfire.

When Jamie missed one plate, and it ended up in front of Padma, she got that haughty tone and said "Care to tell me what happened?" (or some other shitty phrase).  I would have given serious money if Jamie had answered, "Well, you're looking a bit chunky these days, Padma. I figured it wouldn't hurt you to miss a course".  Cut to Tom, Gail and Hugh-ni-brow giggling like schoolgirls.

Alas, 'twas not to be.

Tom, Hugh, Gail and other judges have all complained and noted when they didn't get served. I imagine if he had said something like that no one would be giggling and he would get a talking to by all involved.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 5

Yeesh, this show gets worse and worse this season.  It is not making me a fan of Southern food in the slightest.  None of it has looked good so far.  I think everything about this episode just annoyed me. 

I hate this idea that vegetarian = healthy.  I've known a lot of fat, unhealthy vegetarians.  I was one.  Vegetarians and vegans can be unhealthy, just like meat-eaters can be completely healthy.  And none of that food looked good at all.

I loved all the hand-flapping because many people had never heard of that supposedly famous chef.  Maybe she is only famous to a small number of people?  Her family?  Pretty ridiculous that people felt the need to apologise for not knowing who she was.  I've never heard of her and I don't feel bad in the slightest.  I'm not going to apologise for it.

Just because a man is married to a woman doesn't make him straight.  I work with a guy who is flaming and he's married to a woman.  I don't know what she gets out of that marriage, because he's not even rich.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, LisaBLingLing said:

Episode related trivia - those who work in the National Health Service do, in fact, wear navy uniforms. I remember when I worked at the CDC in Atlanta (I was not at the level of requiring a uniform) many of my colleagues had to show up for work in uniform one day a week and for more important meetings, they wore their dress uniforms. The Surgeon General position is part of the National Health Service.

And to add to this trivia - they wear uniforms because they are, in fact, a branch of the US Uniformed Services, along with the Navy, Army, Marine Corps, Air Force, Coast Guard, NOAA Officer Corps.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Darth Nigel said:

Alas, 'twas not to be.

This made me giggle. I am so tired of Padma's condescending. "That'll be all" when she dismisses the cheftestants. Mean girl.

• Love 4

ETA: I'm afraid I disagree that Lifetime is a more reputable network than Bravo, Andy Cohen & Co.'s crass antics notwithstanding, though

I mentioned Lifetime because that is where Project Runway ended up. I feel like I am supporting all of the mean girl antics of the HoWives whenever I watch Bravo. : (

• Love 3

A minor quibble; the Surgeon General serves in the Public Health Service and it is one of the seven uniformed services (as stated above).  This first time I saw Jim, I thought he was transgendered so there you go.....

• Love 6
1 hour ago, spankydoll said:

My MIL who knows exactly ZERO gay people said the same thing. Why did you think that? Because he is slight? Or dresses like a Southern gentleman?

I am fairly mortified not to have recognized the Surgeon General. I am thinking that it may be because the First Lady was the health crusader so she did much of the health related press and events.

I love this show. Is it some of the Best competitive reality television out there. The they have an ad for Andy Cohen's gross drinking show. I hope that this show migrates to a more reputable network a la Project Runway and  can just leave Bravo behind.

I mostly avoid Andy Cohen's drinking show, WWHL, unless there's a really good guest. There was. It was Stephen Colbert. Somehow in their discussion Andy revealed that he has 2 Peabody Awards. One for Project Runway and another for a documentary on the N Word.

I don't love everything Andy does, but he was a fantastic programming executive and is a fantastic producer. Oprah mentioned on WWHL that Andy had given her some advice about the floundering OWN, which she said saved the network (it lost somewhere north of $300 million in one year).

I don't think any other network at that time would have greenlit Project Runway or Top Chef other than UPN, which had America's Next Top Model with Tyra Banks. Project Runway on Lifetime is a pale imitation of what it used to be on Bravo. Plus Lifetime has Dance Moms. Dance Moms.

Andy and his programs have turned Bravo from an also-ran PBS on cable to the most recognizable network for the LGBT community with some of the most educated and wealthy viewers in television. I still have never seen any network handle plugs better than Bravo. If you think that every season of Top Chef is essentially one big long commercial for whatever city or state that they're filming in, yes we've seen too many plantations, but we've seen some historic sites, notable restaurants, have seen examples of the different cuisines, and opportunities to talk about their seafood. After last night's episode, I found some Edna Lewis recipes and I'll probably buy one of her books.

I'm only a home cook, but even I knew that Emily's livers were going to be overcooked when she put them in the deep fryer. I don't know what's going on with Brooke. She said lemon curd and blackberry sauce and my eyes went wide. I think her dish might have been salvageable with the blackberry sauce, but that lemon curd was a disaster.

• Love 19
3 hours ago, Canada said:

It is not making me a fan of Southern food in the slightest.  None of it has looked good so far. 

To me, the elimination challenge dishes looked delicious! I would have happily eaten everything except the chicken livers. Great to see clean, modern southern food, getting away from some of the clichés.

• Love 10
6 hours ago, Tarasme said:

BUT- I'm a little surprised at the red snapper love? I'm not really well versed in sustainable fish and over-fishing but aren't there only like two red snappers left in the whole world? My family fished in the Florida keys (Duck Key) in November and I was thrilled that we had a chance to catch and consume some yellow-tail snapper. Maybe red snapper in the Gulf have been replenished?

There's a good amount of Red Snapper in the Gulf.  Their season is usually twice a year, around February to May and then October to November.  The number of days vary on lots of factors, like water temperature and what's happened during the Hurricane season (June to November), etc.  

They were considered on the brink of being overfished, but the BP spill wiped out that concern.  They're coming back nicely, but not so quickly.  Another 2 or so years and they'll be plentiful again.  I adore red snapper and look forward to the season starting. 

It's actually Grouper that's in danger.  It's hard to find and getting very expensive.  

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 4

Amanda was so frenetic. Glad she is gone. What I am not liking about this season is that there is not much of the judges' deliberations, especially as between the bottom 3.  I miss that. We really had no idea why they chose Amanda other than "not having soul." 

• Love 5
5 hours ago, MarylandGirl said:

Is it really sad that, until this episode, I thought Jim worked at a restaurant called "The State of Alabama"? I recall thinking that seemed like a dumb name for a restaurant. Then in this episode, it was like, "oh, duh...he works for the state government!"

This made me literally laugh out loud! You are a joy marylandgirl :)

• Love 8
56 minutes ago, leighdear said:

There's a good amount of Red Snapper in the Gulf.  Their season is usually twice a year, around February to May and then October to November.  The number of days vary on lots of factors, like water temperature and what's happened during the Hurricane season (June to November), etc.  

They were considered on the brink of being overfished, but the BP spill wiped out that concern.  They're coming back nicely, but not so quickly.  Another 2 or so years and they'll be plentiful again.  I adore red snapper and look forward to the season starting. 

It's actually Grouper that's in danger.  It's hard to find and getting very expensive.  

A lot of the red snapper sold these days is another variety of snapper. Some scientists have ran genetic testing on it.

1 hour ago, Lillybee said:

A lot of the red snapper sold these days is another variety of snapper. Some scientists have ran genetic testing on it.

Sadly, people do get misled if they don't go to a reputable restaurant.  The only way to truly know is to see the fish before it's cleaned and cooked.  

I really like Jim, he can stay. Emily can go. I cracked up when Sheldon said he didn't know what tuna casserole was.                                                                                                Next week looks interesting

• Love 10
1 hour ago, JES004 said:

I love that Jim know who Edna Lewis was.  I wasn't familiar with her, either.  Now, if it had been Mama Dip - but she was from Chapel Hill, NC.

Your post made me look up Mama Dips -- I've been to Chapel Hill many times and missed this -- next time, I'm going!!  

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Bastet said:

With all the ideological brouhaha over his nomination (because he had the audacity to say guns are a healthcare issue) and thus the long time we went without a Surgeon General before he was finally confirmed (which was only a couple of years ago), I thought maybe one of ten people standing there staring at him in uniform might have a flicker of recognition.  Not identify him by name, but, "Oh, I think that's the Surgeon General."

Thanks for the reminder. I do remember that ridiculous incident. I'm glad the guy eventually got confirmed. (Unlike Obama's last Supreme Court nominee).

10 hours ago, some1105 said:

Ashamedly, I must admit that I somehow thought that the duties of the Surgeon General had been competently assumed by Michelle Obama and hot Sam Kass, lo these many years.

The Surgeon General is involved with all issues that impact public health, so diet and nutrition is only one aspect of the job. Tom Colicchio is actually very involved politically with issues of food and hunger in America. He produced the powerful documentary, "A Place at the Table."

14 hours ago, hendersonrocks said:

I adore Jim. I would like to carry him around with me in my pocket.

Gay or straight or whatever, it's nice to have a kind, polite man competing on this show. Over the years there've been more than a few overbearing macho jerks. I hope Jim wins, but if not, I think being on this show should help him launch his own restaurant.

A few years ago on a trip to Juneau, Alaska I had dinner with a friend of a friend who had been the official state chef of Alaska while Sarah Palin was governor. I'm sure she had stories, but I respected the fact that she politely declined to share any of them.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 11
6 minutes ago, bluepiano said:

A few year ago on a trip to Juneau, Alaska I met a friend of a friend who had been official state chef of Alaska when Sarah Palin was governor. I'm sure she had stories, but I respected the fact that she politely declined to share any of them.

Poor Jim the last year and a half hasn't seen a lot of official dinning, wonder if he got subpoenaed?

• Love 1

I love Jim, he seems like such a nice guy, and his food looks delicious. I also thought he was gay. But then again, I have a friend who is soft-spoken and quite effeminate in his mannerisms who pinged my gaydar big time when I first met him. But he's been married for 25 years and has three children, devoted family man, and adores his wife and all that. You never can tell.

Did I imagine it, or when John was talking about his mother marching on Selma and they showed a picture of her - was she African-American? I'd looked away from my laptop (I have to stream TC through Couchtuner) and just caught a glimpse. (Trying to rewind when you're streaming is a nightmare, as you end up re-triggering the millions of adverts they try to make you watch, notwithstanding AdBlock Plus! - so I couldn't go back to re-watch.)  I must confess that I actually find John quite sexy - he's around my age and, like Bourdain, would probably be good for a night of fun, but would be exhausting for any kind of daily interaction. What can I say? The heart (or libido) wants what it wants ...

Emily needs to go home, and I'm also not feeling the love for Brooke, who IMHO is arrogant and not as good as she thinks she is. It was nice to see Hughnibrow at the meal. I have a bit of a crush on him too.

I think Katsuji or Emily will be next to leave. Katsuji's food has had praise from the judges but (and maybe this is the edit), he always seems just one step away from a huge screw-up. I'd love Brooke to go, but the judges seem to like her.

• Love 3

The editing monkeys got me. I thought the top three were going to be Jim, Casey, and Katsuji with a Jim win. I am not normally taken aback by brides but I thought Jim's wife looked gorgeous in her gown. I always hate to see Brooke on the bottom.

Mostly a filler episode with repeats of Jim's talking about his mom marching and Amanda and her three spinal surgeries. Emily needs to go. Her food sucks, and she is consistently in the bottom. It was definitely time for Amanda to go and tattoo boy really was lucky, like Casey prior, to have immunity. Funny how no one ever suggests them to "fall on the sword".

• Love 1
On 1/6/2017 at 1:32 AM, Bastet said:

My issues aside, I think the "grab one thing at a time so you get some exercise" gimmick was pretty objectively just too much.

I think the producers were just just thinking "let's make Katsuji run for a few minutes. Hahahah!"

• Love 2
20 hours ago, Omega Mu said:

I was delighted to see her!  We used to watch her PBS show almost 30 years ago and remember her once announcing "I'm devoted to cheese!"  That's a line my husband and I have used ever since.

I assume we'll be getting a new one now?  Maybe the CEO of Chik-fil-a?

Or Dr. Oz.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

I think the producers were just just thinking "let's make Katsuji run for a few minutes. Hahahah!"

Or....let's watch Sheldon fall.   I truly can't believe that they allowed Sheldon to participate.  With his bad back.  SMDH. 

• Love 8

I watched the quickfire and started to wonder what happens to all the prepared food that is not eaten? They make two dishes and the judges take one bite out of each dish. Makes me a bit sad to think that all that extra food is just tossed in the trash.

• Love 1

Jim just beamed the second they mentioned Edna Lewis.  So delighted.  

essexjan, they did zoom in on a black woman with sunglasses and a head kerchief during John's talking head.

Edited by Archery
On 1/6/2017 at 3:48 AM, rho said:

you can get protein from eggplant, mushrooms, lentils, etc.

yes from lentils, not so much from eggplant and mushrooms. They just have the mouthfeel of meat.

• Love 1

Slightly OT, but I wonder about the many references here where "effeminate" equals "gay"... there is a whole range of male folks with different characteristics both physical and behavioral - spanning extremely masculine to athletic/sporting to simpering and so on...but where these folks simply like men rather than women. There are LOTS of gay men who look like US football players who could beat you up to within an inch of your life - however, they like men; not women. And the mirror-image too.

• Love 11
6 hours ago, essexjan said:

Did I imagine it, or when John was talking about his mother marching on Selma and they showed a picture of her - was she African-American?

His mother was to the far, far right in the pic. In fact, only about 1/3 of her was shown, so it was not the lady in the forefront of the pic. They had his mom circled.

• Love 4
18 hours ago, spankydoll said:

I mentioned Lifetime because that is where Project Runway ended up. I feel like I am supporting all of the mean girl antics of the HoWives whenever I watch Bravo. : (

Oh, I feel you.  Your comment just led me down the heartily depressing path of trying to think of an appropriate cable network that would be a more respectable home for Top Chef.  Unfortunately, all the likely homes were either trashy to begin with (like Lifetime), or have self-cannibalized Bravo-style over the last decade (A&E, TLC, etc.).  The few that remain relatively close to some quality "mission", like Ovation, are too low profile to reach sufficient viewers.  Like I said, depressing.  I just close my eyes and think of PBS while I fast forward through the Housewives promos...

• Love 1
1 hour ago, nitrofishblue said:

I watched the quickfire and started to wonder what happens to all the prepared food that is not eaten? They make two dishes and the judges take one bite out of each dish. Makes me a bit sad to think that all that extra food is just tossed in the trash.

I would be extremely surprised if the prepared food was not consumed expeditiously by ravenous crew, and any additional foods not intended for use in subsequent challenges donated to local food charities.  I know they do this for Great British Bake-Off, and I would swear I read an interview with LeeAnn Wong a while back that they do it on Top Chef.  Not to mention, Tom C. (as Bluepiano mentioned above) and Hugh Acheson are both very involved in food/hunger initiatives.  

• Love 5
45 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

His mother was to the far, far right in the pic. In fact, only about 1/3 of her was shown, so it was not the lady in the forefront of the pic. They had his mom circled.

Thanks so much for that, spunkygal.

• Love 1

Aaaand the trend of not showing us everyone's dishes in the Quickfire continues.  Jeez, you'd think they'd show Sheldon's dish after showcasing his stumble and fall during the stupid challenge!  Thank goodness he was okay--and shopping in a blue hat this time!  I'm going to have to go back to the other episodes to see if he's always got a hat on while shopping.

I wonder what Casey thought when she heard what the QF challenge was--because IIRC, no one did well when they had to make comfort food healthy in the Season 3 challenge.

Brooke seems to have the same problem Katsuji's had in the past--trying to do too much.  Both times she's been in the bottom has been because the judges felt her dish needed some major editing.

Farewell, Amanda--I'm glad to see you're doing better after what seems like a few years of hell, but your whirling dervish routine had gotten old.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, some1105 said:

I would be extremely surprised if the prepared food was not consumed expeditiously by ravenous crew, and any additional foods not intended for use in subsequent challenges donated to local food charities.  I know they do this for Great British Bake-Off, and I would swear I read an interview with LeeAnn Wong a while back that they do it on Top Chef.  Not to mention, Tom C. (as Bluepiano mentioned above) and Hugh Acheson are both very involved in food/hunger initiatives.  

For that reason I do hope that the excess food gets consumed. I think that to some extent Tom C. has to segment his activism around hunger with his work on this show, because there are some obvious contradictions. At least it's not Master Chef, where Gordon Ramsey makes a big show of throwing food in the garbage.

• Love 1

I think if you Google "what happens to all that food on food competition shows" there are some listed.

I agree with a few of you that Brooke is coming off as smug and entitled to win this time. I really hope it's one of the newcomers, namely... Jim. His consommé looked delicious.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, nitrofishblue said:

They make two dishes and the judges take one bite out of each dish. Makes me a bit sad to think that all that extra food is just tossed in the trash.

The second plate (for the camera) likely gets consumed by the production crew; that's generally how it works on shows where food is prepared.

• Love 2
23 hours ago, spankydoll said:

The PR brand definitely did NOT improve by its move to Lifetime.  And I can only imagine the horror that Food Network would impart to the TC franchise.  They are so overwhelmed by TC they can't even admit anyone on their network has ever heard of it, much less competed on it.

2 hours ago, Bastet said:

The second plate (for the camera) likely gets consumed by the production crew; that's generally how it works on shows where food is prepared.

From what I've heard about what they do to the beauty plate to make it beautiful, I don't think anyone would want to eat anything on it.

Edited by meowmommy
  • Love 4

That's true, they may very well fuck with that one, in which case it would be wasted food.  But anything edible left around tends to get wolfed down by the crew, so in general I wouldn't worry about food waste on this show (especially given Tom's passion).

• Love 1
On 1/6/2017 at 8:09 AM, bencr said:

I interpreted Emily's tears as tears of frustration. She obviously feels she is a very talented chef and a serious contender for the Top Chef crown. Yet episode after episode her food is judged as either unexceptional or at or near the bottom. And she carries special pressure in this competition because she is representing the home city of this season's competition. I think her tough shell is starting to break down, and she may be wrestling with the doubt of whether she is as talented as she thinks.

(On the other hand, I haven't completely ruled out the possibility that she is just pissed that the judges don't seem to recognize her special talent.)

I think it's the last. Emily thinks she's all that and a bag of chips, but she's now the worst chef standing. I was hoping she'd go this time because her Sad Sack attitude, combined with her inability to cook good food, is getting on my last nerve.

• Love 6
On 1/6/2017 at 3:03 PM, spankydoll said:

You'd think the show would have shown, or at least NAMED, one of her cookbooks BTW.  But not surprised that even with that LACK of help her 1976 book has jumped up the Amazon charts.  Good work despite yourself, show.

I'm not surprised actually that the cheftestants mostly wouldn't have heard of her -  her cookbooks are very well known to those of us who love cookbooks for the food history aspect of them, but for that very reason she's probably better known to food historians than to working chefs.  She didn't make her culinary reputation cooking in the South anyway - she made it in New York cooking in what must have been a really fun interesting restaurant:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Café_Nicholson

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/09/dining/johnny-nicholson-whose-manhattan-cafe-attracted-new-bohemian-crowd-dies-at-99.html

She didn't work her way up through the ranks in restaurant kitchens - she came into professional cooking relatively late in her life (her mid-30's) and was helped along because she was an unusual,  interesting , creative, freethinking person who attracted the support of similar people.  

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 8
  On 1/5/2017 at 11:23 PM, Pickles said:

I was also sure that Jim was married to a man. 

I think the way they set that up they wanted you to think that and be surprised by the picture of his wife.

You are probably right but that's just so incredibly rude and dismissive of the show. Ugh.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, rose711 said:

You are probably right but that's just so incredibly rude and dismissive of the show. Ugh.

In what way?

It seems to me that the responses here (and the fact that the original post about Jim being thought to be a gay person has got 60+ "likes") demonstrate that the stereotype of how gays are "supposed to be" were being exposed for what it is - a false stereotype. In this instance I think Bravo (surprise, surprise) took a worthy strike at that notion.

• Love 7