Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E02: An Unconventional Pool Party

I liked this episode better than the first one. I hate unconventional materials challenges but I thought most of the kids did a good job with what they had to work with.

I thought Cartier would win, her dress was cute. But Tieler's dress was different so  I'm ok with him winning. Molly's Tina Turner dress looked messy on the mannequin but good on her model. 

I figured Lucas would go home, he had a lot of airtime. I'm glad A'Kai got to stay, he's so cute in his little hat, bow tie and sweater. 

• Love 5

These kids learn how to be snarky, like their elders, pretty fast.  Molly is a better person than me, because I would have had to say something to the kid who "was surprised she was in the top 3."

• Love 1
1 hour ago, hula-la said:

Was Lucas crying at the pool just before they got the dash for materials?

I thought that too.

Lucas obviously hasn't watched much PR. Working with unconventional materials is always going to be part of the game. He reminds me of the chefs on cooking competitions who complain about "substandard" ingredients. Making something out of nothing shows creativity. 

• Like 1
  • Love 5

I have such mixed feelings about this week because part of me LOVES the unconventional materials challenge, but the other part of me hates that it's basically turned into the "glue gun garbage onto a muslin base" challenge. That's why I hated PR: Threads.

Tieler's palm frond dress looked like exactly what it was. He didn't transform the materials at all, which I found disappointing. I couldn't believe that Kelly's reaction to this dress coming down the runway was "WOW!" or that all of the judges loved it so much. Seriously? How did that win?

Cartier's dress was a blue version of what Chloe did in S2 of original Project Runway, but it was still a pretty effect to have all those petals glued to the top (Chloe's was far better because she covered the entire dress, including the skirt, in leaves). The skirt was an afterthought but making it two shades of blue gave it some cohesion with the top. I really liked the pink on the back of the top. Overall I thought Cartier's design looked like a closeup of a feather. This was one of those rare reality show moments when someone says that something is their thing and they don't end up getting eliminated. I thought of the top three looks, she should have won.

Izzy's look was too stiff. Covering the top with shells made it look like the kind of crap you find in beach town souvenir shops. I hated how wide the neck was because it looked like a turtleneck crossed with an arts and crafts ashtray. I will give her some credit for slicing the pool noodle thing to transform the material into little bullseye targets, but the skirt was just as stiff as the top.

Lucas is lucky that Tim told him to scrap his original skirt, but his final skirt still looked cheap and lazy. I wasn't crazy about the butterfly top which looked dated and cheesy. I also didn't like that it was white in the back.

Chris's red dress was one of the few that didn't look like a homemade art project from a distance, BUT all he used was plastic so does that really count as being creative in an unconventional materials challenge?

Chelsea's dress looked stiff even from a distance, but I liked how she pieced together the three shapes to make the front of the top and how she used five pieces in the back to make a flower shape. I wasn't as crazy about the blue material on the bottom though.

Hawwaa's looked like a fabric lei from Party City exploded. I think the reason I liked Cartier's use of the petals better is that Cartier took the flowers apart and used each petal individually so they were flat on the muslin, which gave her look texture without volume. Hawwaa's flowers looked fluffy so it was much more obvious even from a distance that she had used fake flowers.

A'kai's look was good from a distance but I saw the model pull the strap back onto her shoulder twice. At closer range, the black part of the dress seemed too stiff and the skirt was too short.

Rene's dress looked too crafty. From a distance it looked pretty bad. It looked slightly better up close but there were some construction issues (either that or his model has one shoulder that's much wider than the other). The seams in the back were totally uneven. Hated the waist cut outs.

Allie's flamingo dress was not very flattering on her model, but seeing that huge flamingo head on the skirt made me smile.

Molly's gold flapper outfit was not the most original, but it was still a fun look and it fit her model well.

Despite my sometimes less than complimentary opinions, it is still hard to see kids cry about being eliminated.

• Love 9

Really, that green astroturf mess won? How creative to take a couple yards of that stuff and sew it together and then add some fake leaves at the shoulders.....yup, very creative, I don't think so.

But then I really liked A'kai's little black number, so what do I know.

I also love that someone said something was "their thing" and then delivered.  Loved Cartier's dress.

And last week we discussed Hawwaa's head scarf and whether it was that or her make up that was being referred to when someone asked if it was "cultural" I believe was the word.  Well in this episode she displayed her upper chest area and her arms.  The scarf is definitely just a fashion statement.  If it was cultural, she'd be covered from throat to wrist to ankle.  Not sure how I feel about someone where what is basically religious garb on a daily basis to make some kind of fashion statement.

• Like 1
  • Love 8

The thing that drove me craziest about A'kai's was how none of the fans in the skirt were centered or symmetrical, but they weren't purposefully off-center either. I don't know if it was careless construction, or if the whole thing shifted around the model while she walked? But I couldn't look at it without feeling a deep existential ache in my soul. There is an *order* to the universe, A'kai! Don't contradict it!

That said, I'm glad he's sticking around because he's adorable and he clearly has ideas, even if he can't always execute them.

• Love 4

I would have sent A'kai home - the fan skirt did not work for me at all.  It wasn't well made, and didn't seem to have an actual design, just fans stuck together in a semblance of a skirt.

1 hour ago, DEL901 said:

And last week we discussed Hawwaa's head scarf and whether it was that or her make up that was being referred to when someone asked if it was "cultural" I believe was the word.  Well in this episode she displayed her upper chest area and her arms.  The scarf is definitely just a fashion statement.  If it was cultural, she'd be covered from throat to wrist to ankle.  Not sure how I feel about someone where what is basically religious garb on a daily basis to make some kind of fashion statement.

Head scarves are not just a religious thing.  My family comes from Eastern Europe, not Muslim, but headscarves were ubiquitous for my grandparents generation, and even my parents'.  They had different ones for special occasions, and black ones for mourning.  So I'm ok with her scarves, religious or not.

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, izabella said:

Head scarves are not just a religious thing.  My family comes from Eastern Europe, not Muslim, but headscarves were ubiquitous for my grandparents generation, and even my parents'.  They had different ones for special occasions, and black ones for mourning.  So I'm ok with her scarves, religious or not.

I see international students here wearing headscarves in varying degrees of covered-upness. Some are completely covered, neck to toe, and some are not.

• Love 4

Wasn't A'kai's model on America's Next Top Model during one of the Guy/Girl cycles. She was the one with the half white/half black hair.

Yup! Hers was one of the makeovers that was flattering and she went far in the competition. Cool to see that she's a working model.

So I didn't see the whole show and don't know if it was intentional but I liked the "sock hop" look even if it wasn't perfectly executed. The take on a poodle skirt was too cute and clever.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, izabella said:

Good point.  But something about it....   Anyway, I'm glad Cartier won and I agree that A'Kai should have gone home but no way they were letting baby Urkel leave just yet.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, laffytaffy997 said:

Wasn't A'kai's model on America's Next Top Model during one of the Guy/Girl cycles. She was the one with the half white/half black hair.

One of the things that I like about Project Runway is that they end up using a lot of models of color. I suspect because they are more likely to be available. I think seeing all of these Asian, Latina, and Black models might influence younger designers to have a little more diversity on the runway. Brandon Maxwell and Christian Siriano have always been very good about using diverse models in their show. Christian booked some plus size models for his last show too. It's still rare to see any models of middle eastern descent.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, DEL901 said:

I also love that someone said something was "their thing" and then delivered.  Loved Cartier's dress.

I felt that during week one.  I asked a friend of mine, who's Muslim, about the scarf and she said it's obvious she uses the scarf as a fashion statement and not as a religious article.  She says she has a hard time believing her to be Muslim because of her piercings and what she thinks is tattoos for her eyebrows.  Muslims cannot pierce anything but their nose and ears, and definitely not your lip.  And tattoos are Haram unless they are henna.

Loved Cartier's dress.  It looked very wearable.  Lucas' dress looked cheap and cheesy.  Hawwaa's did look like an explosion at the Party Store during Mardi Gras week.  Molly's dress looked like a disco queen from the '80's.  

Did Hanna even have a dress on at the beginning of the show?  That red thing barely covered her "cash and prizes".  

Edited by KLovestoShop
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, izabella said:

I would have sent A'kai home - the fan skirt did not work for me at all.  It wasn't well made, and didn't seem to have an actual design, just fans stuck together in a semblance of a skirt.

and some of the fans had their "stems" hanging down below the skirt. It looked ridiculous. He can leave soon as far as I'm concerned.

• Love 4
17 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

They were definitely too young for the Beach Blanket Bingo reference, but I figured at least they had seen Gilligan's Island reruns somewhere in their lives.  Maybe they did, and it was just edited this way to make them look confused.

I have never watched a GILLIGAN'S ISLAND episode. It ended around the time I was born but was still popular in reruns throughout my childhood in the 1980s. Still, with that being said, there are SOOO many cultural references to it that not only do I know what it is, but I can name all the characters and even tell you about some of the episodes. For that matter, so can my kids and my son is only 9. I hope you're right and it was just editing!

On the other hand, I guess we should be happy that they seemed to know who Dickens was...? Or sort of knew?

6 hours ago, DEL901 said:

Good point.  But something about it....   

I actually get what you're saying. Something bothers me about it as well. I wear headscarves all the time. Scarves and hats are part of my "thing" and I don't subscribe to any one religion at all. The way that hers is tied, however, and by her interview on the intro episode, to me, she almost looks as though she's trying to go out of her way to appear Muslim (which is fine) but then gets insulted? put out? (can't find the word I want) when someone innocently asks her if she is. (Or acts like the other person is crazy for asking.) 

• Love 4

At 14, I was happy to get my homework assignments in on time. I hadn't even thought of having a design aesthetic, so I couldn't have stuck my nose in the air and complained that my competitive assignments "weren't my thing."

Hopefully, an introduction to humility will help his character development.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, mamadrama said:

I actually get what you're saying. Something bothers me about it as well. I wear headscarves all the time. Scarves and hats are part of my "thing" and I don't subscribe to any one religion at all. The way that hers is tied, however, and by her interview on the intro episode, to me, she almost looks as though she's trying to go out of her way to appear Muslim (which is fine) but then gets insulted? put out? (can't find the word I want) when someone innocently asks her if she is. (Or acts like the other person is crazy for asking.) 

But, what about the piercings?

she almost looks as though she's trying to go out of her way to appear Muslim (which is fine) but then gets insulted? put out? (can't find the word I want) when someone innocently asks her if she is.

She didn't seem put out to me. She seems to enjoy the attention and surprising and shocking people. After all that's the whole point of her look, to get attention for being different. As for her religion and the piercings, it's entirely possible she was raised Muslim but either she's not a strict adherent or she's rebelling. There's no reason why Islam can't have its share of hipocrites, like any other religion.

Religion aside, I liked her little Watermelon jacket but hated the rest of her outfit. It looked like something a Toddlers and Tiaras mom would buy for outfit of choice for the little miss flower blossom pageant in podunk Arkansas

• Love 4
2 hours ago, OoogleEyes said:

But, what about the piercings?

Just as with any religion, people "adhere to the rules" differently. I have one friend who's Muslim who drinks alcohol, but doesn't eat pork. Her brother does both. I have another colleague who is Muslim and wears head wraps, but it's to cover the fact that she's losing her hair, not for religious reasons. I have students who choose to wear hijab, and others who don't.  There is no one "right" way to be any religion.

But, getting back to the show, I didn't think I'd like Hawwaa's watermelon jacket, but I did--just not with the flowered outfit. 

• Love 5
11 hours ago, DEL901 said:

Good point.  But something about it....   Anyway, I'm glad Cartier won and I agree that A'Kai should have gone home but no way they were letting baby Urkel leave just yet.

Unfortunately, Cartier didn't win. Tieler's hideous green palm frond and astroturf dress inexplicably won. 

• Love 4
On December 30, 2016 at 5:39 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Tieler's palm frond dress looked like exactly what it was. He didn't transform the materials at all, which I found disappointing. I couldn't believe that Kelly's reaction to this dress coming down the runway was "WOW!" or that all of the judges loved it so much. Seriously? How did that win?

I wonder if he won because he didn't just glue stuff onto a muslin base? Even though he clearly was glueing the palm fronds, he used an unconventional material as his base rather than the supplied muslin. That might count for 'more' with the judges. I wouldn't have given him the win simply because he did nothing with the back of the dress. All the detail work was on the front. Cartier's dress was more of a complete look and should have won for that alone. 

These kids didn't know Gilligan's Island but knew Tina Turner? That's blowing my mind.

• Love 2

These were probably thworst results of an unconventional challenge I've ever seen although I did like Cartier's and Ally's. Haawaa's wouldn't have been bad but coming a red lady bug coat over Hawaiian lei flowers just didn't cut it with me. Felt bad that Lucas couldn't have some up with something as I do think he has talent. I liked Molly's but it didn't really look like a lot of work or thought unlike some of the others. Izzy's was a mess and she's lucky she had immunity.

1 hour ago, tessat said:

These were probably the worst results of an unconventional challenge I've ever seen...

Worse than this?

bikini.JPG

Oh, season one! I still love you the best.  ;)

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 12
7 hours ago, lordonia said:

Worse than this?

bikini.JPG

Oh, season one! I still love you the best.  ;)

Please remind me who did that.  I remember the outfit but not the designer.  I don't hate it... it's better than the boring muslin-covered-in-random-stuff they send down the runway these days.

On 12/31/2016 at 10:01 AM, sabretooth said:

These kids didn't know Gilligan's Island but knew Tina Turner? That's blowing my mind.

IIRC, Kelly was the one who brought up Tina Turner, not the designers. I feel old for saying this, but I am okay with these kids not knowing about Gilligan's Island because I have no idea if it's still in syndication anymore. Even if it is, I feel like there are so many channels available now that it wouldn't surprise me at all if it was airing but kids weren't watching it. I mean, I watched it as a kid (even though the show ended long before I was born) but tv was so different when I was a kid compared to the way it is now. I remember when basic cable was only about 30 channels (NBC, ABC, CBS, PBS, MTV, TBS, A&E, CNN, ESPN, Nickelodeon, local cable access, and some news stations that I always went right past) so we didn't have as many choices.

Even though I found the Tina Turner outfit fun, it wasn't great so I thought the judges were kind in their evaluation. I do agree that the proportion was good (some skin showing but not too much) and the actual shape/construction of the top and shorts looked like something that a person might actually wear (as opposed to some of the shapeless sacks that the other designers glued stuff to).

• Love 3

I  can't believe how shady Chris came off about Molly's design. I'm not liking some of the attitudes.

I bet Izzy was bummed she didn't get to point out that she was wearing cat ears.

A'kai just made me so sad over how upset he was. The others seem so much older than him. I just wouldn't want my kid on reality TV.

Oh and Tieler? You need to meet Satchel, Rustic and Hero Phantaia...  Oh and Elsa Peanut Butter and her brothers Tater and Tot... No lie on any of these names.

The judges seem to go back and forth on their criteria for the unconventional challenges. Sometimes they prefer the more wearable outfits and sometimes they disproportionately reward designers who use the most unconventional materials. Obviously this time they went with the latter.

I didn't love the swamp thing dress as much as the judges did, but I have to root for Tieler because he's from here (southeast Louisiana) and he has two moms.

Do the junior designers have input on the models' styling? I am guessing not since the makeup and hair consultations aren't shown and the judges don't comment on it, but I thought the styling for the top three was excellent and really enhanced the looks.

• Love 2

I wanted A'kai to stay just for his plaintive cry "I got paint on my zapatos blancos!"  At first I though that he had given an adorable nickname to his very blonde model, but his concern for his loafers was just as funny.

• Love 1
On 12/31/2016 at 8:25 AM, dleighg said:

and wouldn't any English-speaker see that spelling and pronounce it "Teeler"?

That's what I thought it was at first, then it hit me...oh! "Tie....Ler..." like it was a license plate I was trying to decode.  Between that and Cartier....oy...

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, Indy said:

That's what I thought it was at first, then it hit me...oh! "Tie....Ler..." like it was a license plate I was trying to decode.  Between that and Cartier....oy...

oh yeah I "got it." It's still stupid :)

• Love 2
On 12/30/2016 at 3:35 PM, JunebugWA said:

Apparently I don't know anything about fashion because in my book, there is no way Tieler's version of "Swamp Thing" could have won this challenge. Maybe I should start questioning the judges' taste levels?

I questioned them ever since they proclaimed Chelsea's ninja mess and Rene's bondage couture to be in the top 3 designs the previous episode, as well as Tieler's garden party look somehow getting higher praise than Cartier's flower petal ensemble. Granted, Cartier wasn't exactly original, but that looked like the most wearable one out of the bunch...the whole mermaid/fish look really did look like something I'd wear, as opposed to Tieler's dress, which would look like a bunch of grass and leaves threw up all over my outfit.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, lexington11 said:

Granted, Cartier wasn't exactly original, but that looked like the most wearable one out of the bunch...the whole mermaid/fish look really did look like something I'd wear, as opposed to Tieler's dress, which would look like a bunch of grass and leaves threw up all over my outfit.

Neither dress was original, but I found Cartier's far more visually appealing and detailed. I love that she took the time to change those flowers so much and she made something that someone could wear. I personally didn't like Tieler's at all (man I hate having to spell his name that way. it's so awkward. I'm not a fan of weird spellings of average names in an attempt to make them special) and found it shapeless and uninspired. Cartier's dress is one of my favorite pieces of the season out of the first 6 episodes.

Edited by Mabinogia
figured out how many eps there have been so far
  • Love 1