Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E14: Finale, Part 1

yeswedo
  • Start Topic

Holy $##%, what a bunch of crap!  They basically made a whole bunch of ugly separates that no one in their right mind would want to wear.  I think I made a comment a few episodes back about how their clothes are like the crap you can buy in Walmart.  Well, I stand corrected, because Walmart wouldn't sell this crap.  None of these people deserve to win.  The winner won't be the best designer; they'll be the least shit designer of the final four.

• Love 7

The best I can hope for is whatever D-list celebrity judge they trot out for the finale will have some semblance of taste and block an Erin win.  Erin winning will be worse than Gretchen, God help us.

Laurence.  GIRL.  W.T.F?!  I seriously don't understand how someone can be so fucking cool and effortless during the season and produce that dreck when given free rein.  My second favorite, Robieri has some issues too.  LOVE him sticking to his guns about his collection but I wasn't feeling the wrapping paper skirt or sneakers either.  I hope they both use the critiques to do some serious damage control.

• Love 8

I knew I'd seen Erin's sleeves somewhere. Anyone for a quick Rumba?

e0b088e77f725516b85872e0e8b9b206.jpg

I found myself when Erin was picking from amongst her absolute gems yelling at the tv 'Pick the bannna one... plllllleeeasssse pick the banana one!' Can you imagine what they'd have said had she included that among her three looks?

• Love 21

Just about everything falls in a range from meh to hideous. So disappointed in Laurence. Rik and Roberi could both develop into something sometime in the future but right now they both look like student work to me, really shitty student work.

Erin is the perfect embodiment of an overpraised, entitled child who has been told from day 1 how special she is and how important her creative voice is. That crowd she assembled for Tim, her mentor (dental hygiene wtf??), the friend she "collaborated" with to design her fabric, the cartoons that symbolized her friends... so much like a toddler standing over the potty chair beaming with delight, "LOOK WHAT I DID MOMMA!" My jaw dropped open when Tim praised her so-called work. And each week as Nina reads out the scripted praise someone has labored to create, I lose more and more respect for this show. Some of these people have some interesting ideas, but so do a couple thousand other people off the street. None of these people should be at fashion week.

Edited by lidarose9
  • Love 18
2 hours ago, NewDigs said:

Well, that was really boring. I'm usually amped about someone by now.

I'm somewhere else.  I was amped for the final four last week and last night the amperage went out.  A flatline on a medical drama pretty much summarizes what I feel about the potential winners.

That, and I'll fantasize about which one could hold his or her own better with previous winners. Verbally.  (Certainly not tallent wise)

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, Wandering Snark said:

I knew I'd seen Erin's sleeves somewhere. Anyone for a quick Rumba?

e0b088e77f725516b85872e0e8b9b206.jpg

I found myself when Erin was picking from amongst her absolute gems yelling at the tv 'Pick the bannna one... plllllleeeasssse pick the banana one!' Can you imagine what they'd have said had she included that among her three looks?

Unfortunately, they would probably have twisted themselves into stammering pretzels trying to gush enough about the vibrant youthfulness of her edd-i-toe-rrrrial bananas.  I was wishing sooooo hard that she would trip on those HIDEOUS platform whatever-they-were shoes/boots and land on her smug face.

• Love 9

I have a personal pet peeve about adult women who maintain a "cutsie little girl" affect and mannerisms.  I just cannot take them seriously as professionals; especially as they get into their later 20's where they really should have grown out of it.  Erin hasn't yet and that's what really bugs me about her.  That, combined with her cockiness and all the bulky, A-Line coats and dresses that make her models look like walking ladies' room signs makes me think she needs a lot more time and experience in entry level positions before she'll be remotely ready to strike out on her own.  I don't think winning this would be doing her any favors or helping her have a long term career; she just doesn't strike me as ready.

I think Roberie and Laurance are ready for solo careers but I'm among those flummoxed about what happened to them.  They produced more interesting and polished work within the challenge constraints than they have with their hands untied.  I hope they both pull out something interesting at the last minute.

Rik, I'm not sure about.  I did appreciate that he was critiquing his looks as they came down the runway and thinking of ways to improve them and what didn't work.

Edited by Absurda
  • Love 13

Some of Erin's collection at Tim's visit were not there. The yellow coat with bananas on it didn't show up in the Getty images. I liked it!  I saw others that I liked too. 

None of the collections were totally interesting. I thought Rik had the worst from the little we saw. I liked some of Roberi especially his pink skirt. I thought it was very current in length and with the Keds. 

Laurence is very contained and that shows in her work. Sad story. What a bad man, her dad. Very bad.

Edited by wings707
  • Love 4

Did I hear correctly in the previews Tim telling Erin, "Avoid anything that begins to look like a craft project"? Begins???   Is he kidding?  Everything she does looks like a craft project and the judges love it and he encourages it.  What I've seen in these collections is junk.  Bargain basement or costume store junk.  How disappointing.

Where are the beautiful gowns, the final, showstopper look.  Laura with her elegant, rich-looking gorgeous looks and she's only one of many.  This show used to be so creative and just really good.  I loved it and can hardly watch anymore.  After last year's winner and Erin, I think I might be done with the exception of the junior edition and maybe all-stars.  Gretchen dear, all is forgiven and you are no longer the worst PR winner.  These judges have all gone whackdoodle.

Is there any place to stream the Bravo seasons?

• Love 5
6 hours ago, backgroundnoise said:

I was going to suggest a drinking game where you take a drink any time Erin says "like", but nobody's elbow could move that fast. 

Out of random ennui, I started counting "likes" while she intently described to Tim her as-yet-unexecuted looks for the fashion show a scant two weeks away.   I think she was about two minutes in when she hit 30 and I hit the mute button.

• Love 8
15 hours ago, Misslindsey said:

I was not a fan of the shiny material that Roberi used on the skirts of some of his designs. The judges praised the one dress, and I

was liked really?

Everytime I see that type of fabric I think  of Toy's R' Us and Petco...it reminds me of doll clothes and cat toys.  

4 hours ago, mightysparrow said:

I honestly thought that PR was playing a trick on us last night.  I just found it so hard to believe that the designers were SERIOUSLY planning to show those clothes at NY Fashion Week.

I don't disagree, yet I still see each of these collections as superior to the lace and flowers high school sewing class collection that I still cannot believe won last year.

Rik's dress looked like a PokeBall.  

I really expected Laurence to come up with something much better.  I felt throughout the series that she was being held back by the competitions.  After seeing her final collection I no longer think that was the case.  

• Love 9
5 hours ago, Lesia said:

Compare to Laura Bennet's lushness, or Christian's outrageousness, Jay's originality...

Or my personal favorite...Lee Ann Michaels. Not one of them even attempted an evening look, not one had a standout look for the closing. The fabrics they chose look so cheap...banana prints anyone, and khaki green canvas, or washed out housedress prints? Who are these people and why are they pretending to be designers? 

I still covet Laura's grey evening dress with the pistachio belt...or Lee Ann's killer cornflower blue bridesmaid's dress with the stunning bridal gown to finish. Or really anything that Christian did. When their models lined up...it looked amazing. And the same thing for Petie and Maya on the Juniors...their work was wonderful. 

We need real designers, who know fabric and color, and have actually seen a real woman in the flesh and have some idea of what would look wonderful on her. And no, I do not wish to revisit the 70s, 80s or 90s, unless you have something interesting to pull from that inspiration. No retreads. No craft projects. No gimmicks. Just real design. 

• Love 15
40 minutes ago, Ketzel said:

Out of random ennui, I started counting "likes" while she intently described to Tim her as-yet-unexecuted looks for the fashion show a scant two weeks away.   I think she was about two minutes in when she hit 30 and I hit the mute button.

YESYESYES! Everytime this season  MissYellow says "like", Project Runway owes me 10 bucks. Right now, I'm booking a cruise with that money!

• Love 4
47 minutes ago, Knuckles said:

Or my personal favorite...Lee Ann Michaels. Not one of them even attempted an evening look, not one had a standout look for the closing. The fabrics they chose look so cheap...banana prints anyone, and khaki green canvas, or washed out housedress prints? Who are these people and why are they pretending to be designers? 

I still covet Laura's grey evening dress with the pistachio belt...or Lee Ann's killer cornflower blue bridesmaid's dress with the stunning bridal gown to finish. Or really anything that Christian did. When their models lined up...it looked amazing. And the same thing for Petie and Maya on the Juniors...their work was wonderful. 

We need real designers, who know fabric and color, and have actually seen a real woman in the flesh and have some idea of what would look wonderful on her. And no, I do not wish to revisit the 70s, 80s or 90s, unless you have something interesting to pull from that inspiration. No retreads. No craft projects. No gimmicks. Just real design. 

And, the saddest part of this is that Laura did not pursue a career in fashion design.  I would crawl on my knees for anything made by her.  Her tailoring was impeccable and her designs were timeless, imo.  Ok, so they tended to skew to an "older" client (to me that means anyone who doesn't want their breasts or buttocks falling out), but a woman could buy one of her dresses/gowns/suits while in their 30's and, if they remain the same size, would be able to still wear it in their 60's.  To me, that's classic fashion.

• Love 20
7 hours ago, jrlr said:

I couldn't really get a good look at what Nina was wearing last night, but it looked like a Christmas tree and it looked cheap.

It looked to me like an entry in an "ugly Christmas sweater" contest, though I couldn't get a good look at it. Here's a screen shot.

Screen Shot 2016-12-16 at 6.08.12 PM.png

• Love 5

Yes, when I saw Nina during the runway, my first thought was Ugly Christmas Sweater as well.  I don't recall her outfits being so off in previous years.  Am I just now noticing or is this something new for her?

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Absurda said:

Yes, when I saw Nina during the runway, my first thought was Ugly Christmas Sweater as well.  I don't recall her outfits being so off in previous years.  Am I just now noticing or is this something new for her?

I also have thought a lot of her outfits this season looked like something she picked up in the Walmart pre-teen department. And isn't she one of the one who uses "Junior" as an expletive?

• Love 6
6 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

Right? And remember when they passed over Santino's beautiful collection in favor of Chloe's upholstery inspired evening wear to avoid becoming "Project Freakshow", in Tim's words? The dreck that's being promoted nowadays, its astonishing.

And when Mondo lost to Gretchen....

• Love 11

And what was with that hideously tacky banana print she created? So fug.

I'm looking forward to hearing the judges twist themselves into knots trying to think of approving descriptors of it before they give her the win.  I'm going to go with:  cheeky, daring, and "so you."

• Love 9

I think Roberie and Laurance are ready for solo careers but I'm among those flummoxed about what happened to them.  They produced more interesting and polished work within the challenge constraints than they have with their hands untied.  I hope they both pull out something interesting at the last minute.

They remind me of Season 3's Michael/Mychal Knight who made the fabulous coffee filter dress and the pink hot pants.  He choked at Fashion Week and his collection was unmemorable, although he does dress Jennifer Hudson.

Or my personal favorite...Lee Ann Michaels.

njbchlover, You must mean Lee Ann MARSHALL -- the winner of Season Five with her dreamy, floaty blue-and-white collection.  

If anyone wants to see streaming episodes of Project Runway, you can see Season 5 onward at lifetimetv.com app (at least what it is on my apple tv).  The Bravo app and hulu may be showing the earlier seasons.  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, dleighg said:

It looked to me like an entry in an "ugly Christmas sweater" contest, though I couldn't get a good look at it. Here's a screen shot.

I said in an earlier post her outfit looked like an Ugly Christmas nightgown....thanks for posting the photo - seeing it again, it's even MORE hideous than I remember!  ;-)

• Love 5
1 hour ago, dleighg said:

Are those apples? A chicken? Strawberries?

Maybe she's channeling her inner Holly Hobbie.

Didn't she wear something equally whickety-wack earlier?

I think I have to blame at least some of this week's Michael's challenge on time constraints. 6 weeks? 

Though that does not excuse, "I don't have one dress made" Erin.

These people don't have much to attempt to improve on.

It hurts to imagine the clothes of past winners (thanks all for the upthread memories of lovely) alongside any of these. Hurts my head.

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, NewDigs said:

Are those apples? A chicken? Strawberries?

Maybe she's channeling her inner Holly Hobbie.

Didn't she wear something equally whickety-wack earlier?

I think I have to blame at least some of this week's Michael's challenge on time constraints. 6 weeks? 

Though that does not excuse, "I don't have one dress made" Erin.

These people don't have much to attempt to improve on.

It hurts to imagine the clothes of past winners (thanks all for the upthread memories of lovely) alongside any of these. Hurts my head.

Oh good grief. She is my very favorite judge, just below Kors. She must relinquish her right to criticize Erin.  Mandatory. A banana on purple opalescent leather pales in comparison to this 11 year old effort. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, absolutqt said:

The best I can hope for is whatever D-list celebrity judge they trot out for the finale will have some semblance of taste and block an Erin win.  Erin winning will be worse than Gretchen, God help us.

Laurence.  GIRL.  W.T.F?!  I seriously don't understand how someone can be so fucking cool and effortless during the season and produce that dreck when given free rein.  My second favorite, Robieri has some issues too.  LOVE him sticking to his guns about his collection but I wasn't feeling the wrapping paper skirt or sneakers either.  I hope they both use the critiques to do some serious damage control.

Erin's going to win, so make your peace now.

I suspect Laurence was shaken by all the criticism that she can only do leather jackets and fierce shoulders.   She should have stuck with it and to hell with the critics because it would have outshone everything on the runway last night.   

It didn't bode well that Heidi couldn't be bothered to be present for the penultimate runway.   I was kinda weirded out by how happy I was that Michael Kors had come home at last.

Rik is a boob.

Roberi seems like an innocent, but clueless.

Lastly, I think Erin (who is, like, dope) has been listening to too much Coldplay:

Look at the stars
Look how they shine for you
And everything you do
Yeah, they were all yellow

Edited by millennium
  • Love 10

WHAT HAPPENED TO THESE PEOPLE---!?!?!?!  This was the most blah, underwhelming mini collection of garments I have ever seen in a pre-finale show.  I'm especially disappointed in Laurence.  She's been my favorite designer all season.... I love her use of leather, so why is she diverting away from her natural aesthetic and trying to replicate pieces of the other designer's vision?  She needs to just do her own thing.  Yes, I've grown tired of her overuse of black, but she could incorporate some burgundy leather and maybe a navy or cobalt blue.  Her cohesion could be the leather itself, and her collection would be amazing!!!!  

I'm so over Erin.  I know she's talented from her pre-show pieces I viewed online.  However, I'm so over her bulky neoprene dresses with glue stick embellishments.  My 4-year old is more creative.

Rik, Roberi -- what happened?!?!?!   UGGGH.  Their mini collections were horrible---!!!  I'm actually dreading this finale.  I'm afraid it's too late for any of these designers to pull out an amazing, breath-taking collection.  Meh.

• Love 6
10 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

Right? And remember when they passed over Santino's beautiful collection in favor of Chloe's upholstery inspired evening wear to avoid becoming "Project Freakshow", in Tim's words? The dreck that's being promoted nowadays, its astonishing.

YES---!!!!  To this day, Santino's finale collection is my favorite PR collection ever.  It was elegant and absolutely beautiful-!!!

• Love 5
4 hours ago, njbchlover said:

I still covet Laura's grey evening dress with the pistachio belt...

Did you know that Laura Bennett wrote a crafts book (I got a copy from Amazon) that details exactly how she did the sequins on that dress?

https://www.amazon.com/Handmade-Chic-Fashionable-Projects-High-End/dp/1609613007/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1481944415&sr=8-1&keywords=Bennett%2C+Laura

Handmade chic has been out for four years and they are almost giving away copies.

• Love 5

I didn't care for any of the collections but am hopeful that either Laurence or Roberi can pull out a win.  I like them both so much and appreciate their POV as designers.  It really did look like they struggled without the shackles of the challenges.  But then these two in particular seem isolated - his support group is half a world away and hers appears very small, possibly only her children - and perhaps that reality affected them once outside the comradery and competition of the show.  I don't know.  There is also lot of pain there, with Roberi having to give up his business, sell his possessions and leave his boyfriend and family behind and Laurence having to experience her family abandoning her when she was so young (I also had a child at 16 and can relate to her tears all these years later).  It's crazy what loneliness and rejection and failure will do to a person.  Anyway ...

Erin didn't do anything different than she did throughout the competition and yes, her dropping her Ts (along with many other twenty-something women) is one of her more bizarre and annoying affects.  While I appreciate her love of color, I would never wear her clothes.  They just aren't that interesting.  Also, I think she designs more for the people that will be viewing her clothes than for the people who will actually be wearing them.  I'm not sure why, but I don't like that. 

Rik completely lost his mind.  That acid-washed denim looking fabric with the paisleys and embroidery was fucking hideous, as was that eyeball purse.

Nina's off-shoulder prairie dress in the photo upthread was deeply unflattering.  Her clothes have never been interesting but I don't recall them being as ugly as they've been this season.

• Love 8
23 hours ago, anniebird said:

Has Erin always had that extreme vocal fry and this is the first time I noticed? I had to mute the TV every time she talked.

She's always had it. It just gets more pronounced when she thinks she's winning.

• Love 7
17 minutes ago, Kitty Redstone said:

Also, I think [Erin] designs more for the people that will be viewing her clothes than for the people who will actually be wearing them.  I'm not sure why, but I don't like that. 

Because, it's a form of manipulation (just my opinion). Also, I think she thinks the people viewing them are "cooler" than the people who would buy them, if that makes sense.

• Love 2

Also, I think [Erin] designs more for the people that will be viewing her clothes than for the people who will actually be wearing them.

But isn't that what a runway show should be, something other than boring ready to wear?   I don't want to see four walking department store catalogues.  

That said, I wish her stuff was more sophisticated.   Of all her pieces during the season, I liked her red and yellow coats the best.  They had the embellishments, but she edited better than what her mini-collection showed.  It did go too arts and crafts, but at least it was something a little different, so a weak, yay, I guess.

• Love 4

I'm sure some (many) will disagree, but I don't see any of this as so awful.  I think they are collections that are still being worked out and the "problems" are emphasized by editing for drama.  The potential is there and it will be fine and they will miraculously pull it together in the next three days.  I didn't personally care for Rik's (but that's just my taste probably), but I saw loads of potential in the other three.

While we're on the subject of drama, it is my opinion that Laura Bennett's collection is being lauded as much more interesting than it actually was.  It does look very wearable, but it would not stand out to me as a contender in a design competition. Have a look for yourselves:

IMG_7743.JPG

...and while I'm at it with my very unpopular opinions, I actually liked Gretchen's more than Mondo's and years later, I definitely stand by that.  I mean, Mondo's polka dot dress repulses me and I really think Gretchen's collection turned out to be correct in nailing what was coming next:

IMG_7744.JPG

I'm not saying I'm absolutely right, but I am saying that the beholder's personal taste is just one element of a design competition.  Whether I would or could wear something seems kind of moot when judging since we're all individuals and creativity, wearability and taste are distinctly different things.  I just think we should let it play out a bit more. I also don't understand why people who constantly bitch about this show still watch it.

And, while I'm at it, I'm not sure I understand why anyone watches it and claims that a three second glimpse of a random dog in a fabric store every third week is the only good part of the show or the only reason they watch.  I mean, if you have hated it so much for like six years, I respectfully suggest that it's time you move on.

Edited by AudreyHorne
  • Love 15

Oh dear.  Oh dear, ohdearohdear.  That was all just sad.

Laurence!  Madame!  You could have knocked out TEN totally bitching leather power jackets, stuck just about anything underneath them--soft silks, rompers, pearl-encrusted separates--and walked home in a win.  Removing the jackets at the end of the runway would have been like an exciting "reveal" of each design and the jackets would have provided cohesion all over the place. 

New York Fashion Week and you decide not to play your strongest card?

I had my eye on Roberi from Episode One and woof, sad trombone noise.  Did he forget what certain English words mean?  He kept insisting his collection was "tied together by color and silhouette," but it WASN'T.  The rack behind him, as he said that, looked like an assortment of clothes various people had left in the dressing room, waiting to be wheeled out and returned to different spots in the department store.

Poor Rik, having to create a "cohesive collection" by mixing all the parts of his loud, wildly dissonant outfits.  Look, Mah-Jing, denim!

Don't hate me, but I FINALLY saw the point of neoprene.   As long as it's shell pink, I guess.  Before I knew it was neoprene, I thought the dress moved really beautifully.  I even thought, wow, she must have used a steamer to get that material so perfectly smooth and unwrinkled.  (And I admit that I enjoyed thinking about the discs making little clicking noises, in contrast to the smoothness of the material.)

That being said, I pretty much wanted to reach through the screen and throttle Erin, with her juvenile affectations and her "um . . . like, like, like, um . . ." nonsense.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Rik and Roberi didn't have much recourse and were thus totally screwed when Tim gave them the thumbs down three days before the deadline.  I don't know the timing of the Laurence visit, but Erin had "ten days left to make ten outfits" when Tim was at her place.

• Love 7
47 minutes ago, savannah1985 said:

Wasn't there a season where the judge's hated what they saw in the mini-collections and sent them back to Mood?

I'm convinced this was solely to hand the win to Anya, once they saw are awful her mini-collection was (the WORST in PR history, IMO).   So they went to Mood, Anya picked out some prettier fabrics, and Nina actually said she deserved the win because of her "eye for fabrics." 

• Love 14
29 minutes ago, backgroundnoise said:

But isn't that what a runway show should be, something other than boring ready to wear?  

I dunno ... there isn't ever going to be one definition of what a runway show should be, and I'm fine with that.  It's art and entertainment as much as commerce and creative people are going to differ in what it means and all that.  My objection to her is something different than Runway vs. RTW, though, and I didn't do a very good job articulating it. 

What I meant by people viewing her clothes is not an audience watching her stuff walk on a runway, but rather people looking at/reacting to someone wearing her clothes while walking down a street or shopping or any of the other things we do every day.  Whereas Laurence and Roberi are concerned with provoking a response in the woman wearing their clothes (to feel beautiful, to feel empowered, to feel different, etc.), Erin wants to provoke a response in everyone around the wearer.  The feelings of the person buying and wearing her clothes is pretty far down there in her process, and I don't like that.

• Love 2

I was delighted when Erin didn't choose that horrific banana/hand outfit to show the judges.  Now she's going to let that monstrosity loose on the runway, thinking it's the most clever fresh, and forward thinking look.  It reminds me of those cardboard pictures with a hole cut out for someone's face to be photographed.  It looks like a joke.  But what am I saying, the judges will adore her collection.

I just don't get Erin.  It's like the actual making of clothes brings her little joy.  Why the judges don't notice that she spends 5% of her time making a simple cut out piece, then spends 95% of her time bedazzling it?  She spent four of her six weeks playing with her arts and crafts, and didn't have a single garment made.  They used to criticize people who used a beautiful pattern, fabric, or decoration, while doing little with the actual material, as lazy.  Erin winning would be Gretchen levels of suck.

Edited by RedheadZombie
  • Love 14
3 hours ago, enoughcats said:

Did you know that Laura Bennett wrote a crafts book (I got a copy from Amazon) that details exactly how she did the sequins on that dress?

https://www.amazon.com/Handmade-Chic-Fashionable-Projects-High-End/dp/1609613007/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1481944415&sr=8-1&keywords=Bennett%2C+Laura

Handmade chic has been out for four years and they are almost giving away copies.

No!!! It doesn't ship to Canada--I would have loved it for my Home Ec students. 

Wow. I can't believe so much hate the designers have gotten from the garments they shown. By that being said I am not trying to defense their garments by any means. I don't think a fashion show should be all about evening wear or gown which we have seen many many times before.

C'mon at least they are bold enough to creates their own textile and prints that I hardly see them done during the show. Even it is a little childish or craft looking as other people have said that I do think it is very now and fashion is subjective.

It definitely not looking high fashion however its fun to watch which I have to give them the credit.

IMO vast improvement compares to season 14 snooze.

Meanwhile I don't understand why people are so crazy in love with Mondo's loud prints gimmicky back then but completely turn off or so harsh on Erin's school projects or Rik's ridiculous prints outfits. Just saying.

Edited by alexceh
  • Love 5
21 hours ago, AudreyHorne said:

I'm sure some (many) will disagree, but I don't see any of this as so awful.  I think they are collections that are still being worked out and the "problems" are emphasized by editing for drama.  The potential is there and it will be fine and they will miraculously pull it together in the next three days.  I didn't personally care for Rik's (but that's just my taste probably), but I saw loads of potential in the other three.

While we're on the subject of drama, it is my opinion that Laura Bennett's collection is being lauded as much more interesting than it actually was.  It does look very wearable, but it would not stand out to me as a contender in a design competition. Have a look for yourselves:

IMG_7743.JPG

...and while I'm at it with my very unpopular opinions, I actually liked Gretchen's more than Mondo's and years later, I definitely stand by that.  I mean, Mondo's polka dot dress repulses me and I really think Gretchen's collection turned out to be correct in nailing what was coming next:

IMG_7744.JPG

I'm not saying I'm absolutely right, but I am saying that the beholder's personal taste is just one element of a design competition.  Whether I would or could wear something seems kind of moot when judging since we're all individuals and creativity, wearability and taste are distinctly different things.  I just think we should let it play out a bit more. I also don't understand why people who constantly bitch about this show still watch it.

And, while I'm at it, I'm not sure I understand why anyone watches it and claims that a three second glimpse of a random dog in a fabric store every third week is the only good part of the show or the only reason they watch.  I mean, if you have hated it so much for like six years, I respectfully suggest that it's time you move on.

I agree with you about Laura. I remember 2 of those dresses besides the gray one. Didn't she also have a long coat that she was still working on when Tim came to visit? I liked her clothing, but she really only did evening wear some of which was ehh OK. I remember a lot more of Mychael's collection. I liked them both, but neither deserved to win.

I'll disagree about Gretchen's collection. I thought it was nice and well done, but not the least bit forward thinking. I thought it looked like the Free People catalogue. I was living in Austin when that season aired and it looked like what half the cool girls in town were wearing. I found her collection to be less of what's coming next, but more of what was about get replicated at fast fashion stores like Forever 21, Zara, H&M, Urban Outfitters, American Eagle, and Target. She made dressy versions of Coachella clothes. I loved Mondo's collection. I still love it. His inspiration of the Day of Dead sugar skulls was so ahead of time. His collection read as slightly more junior, but I felt like it was the one time moms would be raiding their daughters' closets.

As for this season, I'm assuming Erin wins because everything else is pretty crappy looking.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 4