Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E14: Finale, Part 1

yeswedo
  • Start Topic

Visiting the designers at home, Tim Gunn is not impressed with everything they've created so far; the designers return to New York and present three pieces from their collections; Michael Kors returns as a guest judge.

Edited by yeswedo
updated ep description

Oh.  No. I didn't like anything from any of the designers. I'm usually rooting for someone I like. Not this time. 

Im going to guess Erin will win because the judges gave her, as they usually do, the best critique. 

I won't be sad when this season is over and Project Runway Juniors starts. 

• Love 19
1 minute ago, anniebird said:

Has Erin always had that extreme vocal fry and this is the first time I noticed? I had to mute the TV every time she talked.

Hers is one of the worst I've heard...it's a combination of "Valley Girl" speak and vocal fry - my ears were hurting!!

• Love 16

I have been rooting for Roberi...but for once, I agree with Heidi...cohesion, and a much stronger point of view is needed. And the paper bag waists seem so dated to me. For a designer who can do a lot with color and has done some good dresses...I was surprised that they were all separates...and nothing that stood out.

Erin is a drag...her prairie dress looked remarkably like that sad jumpsuit from a week or two ago...and the print, no matter now it was made, would look dreary on the runway. The hand loomed sleeves looked heavy, and the bare belly over a leather skirt...just no to all of it. 

And Laurence is chic, her clothes not at all. The jacket and white pants...looked 80s sad...the jumpsuit cute, but not at all a runway look, unless it was filler between two killer looks...and the best thing was the naked back of the white T...which is not good. 

And Rik...just no. The leather dress was best, but he does tend to the cute...the purse, and the bow separating the color blocking...please no.

There was nothing strong or distinctive here. No cohesion (hat tip Heidi)  in fabrics or in design...one look leading to a fuller or different interpretation of the next look...even the color choices seemed scattered. I wonder if any of these designers have ever watched a great runway show? Which is not a question you should ask at the final run thru. For Project Runway...see LeeAnn Michaels or Laura Bennett for how to pull together a 10 look collection that shows how much you can do...from daytime to evening to casual...did any of them even attempt an evening look? I am disappointed, but not surprised...this is not a seriously talented group.

Bring on the juniors. 

• Love 19
1 minute ago, Knuckles said:

I have been rooting for Roberi...but for once, I agree with Heidi...cohesion, and a much stronger point of view is needed. And the paper bag waists seem so dated to me. For a designer who can do a lot with color and has done some good dresses...I was surprised that they were all separates...and nothing that stood out.

Erin is a drag...her prairie dress looked remarkably like that sad jumpsuit from a week or two ago...and the print, no matter now it was made, would look dreary on the runway. The hand loomed sleeves looked heavy, and the bare belly over a leather skirt...just no to all of it. 

And Laurence is chic, her clothes not at all. The jacket and white pants...looked 80s sad...the jumpsuit cute, but not at all a runway look, unless it was filler between two killer looks...and the best thing was the naked back of the white T...which is not good. 

And Rik...just no. The leather dress was best, but he does tend to the cute...the purse, and the bow separating the color blocking...please no.

There was nothing strong or distinctive here. No cohesion (hat tip Heidi)  in fabrics or in design...one look leading to a fuller or different interpretation of the next look...even the color choices seemed scattered. I wonder if any of these designers have ever watched a great runway show? Which is not a question you should ask at the final run thru. For Project Runway...see LeeAnn Michaels or Laura Bennett for how to pull together a 10 look collection that shows how much you can do...from daytime to evening to casual...did any of them even attempt an evening look? I am disappointed, but not surprised...this is not a seriously talented group.

Bring on the juniors. 

It's worse than you think. Those pants are mint green.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, Knuckles said:

I was surprised that they were all separates...and nothing that stood out.

Was the one with the pink skirt a dress? I think MK called it a dress (but he's also looking at it from a distance).

Erin and Rik seemed more interested in embellishing and making their own fabrics than designing clothing.

• Love 10
4 minutes ago, guilfoyleatpp said:

Erin continues to bug the shit out of me.

Agreed, but I try to force myself to ignore her personality, and look at her work...in an effort to be fair. But in truth she reminds me of Ashley...she had one good coat...which she proceeded to reproduce a half dozen times. She will stick any sort of decoration on her designs, hoping that the oddball quality will overcome her failure to actually design interesting clothing. She cannot work with prints...she chooses the washed-out housedress look every time. It was most telling to me that she was most proud of her "laser cut" sequins. Really?  Maybe she could do accessories trim or buttons...but fashion..no freaking way.

• Love 20

They were all disappointing.  I was underwhelmed.  I guess each of them had one piece that was good, but very little that was memorable.  Unless they've held back their great stuff, the final is going to be a snooze.

• Love 18

There were pieces in each of their collections that I liked, but I was overall underwhelmed. I agreed with the judges that there was not much cohesion going on. I have to agree with the designers that they are getting all these critiques at the last minute. It is nice to get the judges input, but it cannot be that easy to rework some of the designs when so little time. I am not sure how they would do a judges critique and still give the designer a decent amount of time to get their shit together.

I was not a fan of the shiny material that Roberi used on the skirts of some of his designs. The judges praised the one dress, and I was liked really? I was kind of hoping he would do a whole collection of macrame just for my own amusement.

I liked that Laurence deviated from her usual black, but her collection did look a bit dated with some of the designs to me. It was a bit boring as well. I did like the white shirt that did not have a back. I did not love the overalls. I really think she just needs to mix the different separates with each other and her main problems will be fixed.

I will be at my table for one with liking Erin, some of her designs, and is not bothered by how she dresses. I think they are fun. I did kind of like the dress that the judges all hated though. I thought of all the collections hers looked very "Erin" to me.

I liked Rik's designs the least. There were some that I liked looking at, but just did not love the overall designs. I did not even like the leather dress the judges loved. I thought I would like his collection more than I did, especially when he was telling Tim his concept at the start.

I like all four designers so I am fine with any of them winning. None of any of their collections wowed me to the point where I would declare one of them the best and root for them. For me, no one would be "robbed" if another wins.  I liked and disliked some designs in each collection, so I am cool with any winner at this point. 

Tim bowling was made of win. Hell, he did way better than me when I bowl!

Also, I wish they would just condense the final to either a one and a half hour to two hour episode. This so does not need to be a two parter.

• Love 5

What is it with so many women in Erin's age group and the weird speak?   When did they lose the ability to say the letter "T".  Every time she said bu-in instead of button, I yelled at the TV.  

I agreed with the judges that there was an amazing lack of cohesion.  And maybe the lack of design was because these designers are too interested in making their own fabrics and embellishments rather than putting together a decent, cohesive collection.  

• Love 19

Did Erin skin Big Bird to get that jacket she was wearing at the beginning?

The only decent piece in the whole lot was Laurence's hand-pearled top. But then she had that leiderhosen-romper. The rest ran from disappointing to flat out ugly. Rik's black and white outfit reminded me of TRON. Erin's were all hideous. So, so disappointing. They used to get 2 or 3 months, now it's only 6 weeks.

Surely someone has already made a GIF of Tim bowling?

• Love 15
7 hours ago, Misslindsey said:

I was not a fan of the shiny material that Roberi used on the skirts of some of his designs.

All I could think of is that "holiday" saran wrap you can get in red and green. That's what that pink skirt reminded me of.

• Love 18

This season feels so long. I'm getting bored. I don't care who wins. Bring on the Juniors!

ETA: Haha, I typed the last sentence before even reading other comments. I see now that I am in good company.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 5

I don't recall the family visits being this boring in the past. I don't know what happened to everyone - Rik used to have good taste. I always suspected Laurence was a one trick pony. Erin is so full of herself it's nauseating. 

• Love 11
7 hours ago, delicatecutter said:

I am rooting for Laurence who is one of the coolest women I have ever seen on TV. She also looks identical as she did when she had her daughter at 16. Better, even. She is flawless!

I was the same way, until I saw her "story" played out in her designs, and, YIKES, it's kind of a reverse rags to riches! I agree with this:

5 hours ago, Muffyn said:

Laurence's romper made me think of the old cartoons in which a poor person would be depicted wearing a barrel held on with straps.

I think she hurt herself by taking too the judges' criticism too much to heart and attempting a collection so far outside who she is that it isn't really anyone.

10 hours ago, avecsans said:

I always snicker when the judges trash the hair and makeup after we spend so much time in the Mary Kay makeup room and the Sally hair studio.

Those guys are well-intentioned, but their job is to sell THEIR product, so we never see a consult where the designer explains what they are attempting to convey with the overall look, and instead get a lot of "I like a smoky eye". There are many designers who purposely don't bring any attention at all to a model's face or hair simply because they are a walking clothes hanger. That shouldn't be the goal, but the model isn't selling makeup/hair product either.

I loved that Heidi was only interested in any skimpy outfit that was "sexy". Never change.

• Love 8

The judges often question the designer's taste levels; this season, I'm questioning theirs:

I thought Erin should be out a long time ago.  Most of her designs, I find to be tacky.  It's like, slap on more craft crap and the design would really hit the mark.  Most of her designs, I wouldn't buy at a 90% off clearance sale.

The yellow and beige coat with the black craft crap stuck on the sides, which the judges loved, was likely the ugliest coat I've seen in my life. 

Obviously, I just don't get it.

• Love 22

Erin continues to march to the winner's circle.  I knew it as soon as Tim Gunn  fell all over her with praise for stuff she hadn't even made yet.  And of all of them, she got the least harshest critique - they just want her to get rid of that one dress.

I'm so over her "well I really just wait until the last minute" and her "unconventional" items.  Fly fishing - really?  And Tim just oohed and aahed over her.

Having said that, though, I too was disappointed in Laurence, and she's the one I thought had the best chance of beating Erin.  But the handwriting pretty much has been on the wall early in the season re Erin. They like her.  They REALLY like her. Why I don't know, but they do.

13 minutes ago, KittyK said:

I thought Erin should be out a long time ago.  Most of her designs, I find to be tacky.  It's like, slap on more craft crap and the design would really hit the mark.  Most of her designs, I wouldn't buy at a 90% off clearance sale.

This.....1000 times!  All she needs is a hot glue gun, some fabric, cheap stuff to glue on the fabric and she's done.

• Love 18
2 minutes ago, KittyK said:

The judges often question the designer's taste levels; this season, I'm questioning theirs:

The yellow and beige coat with the black craft crap stuck on the sides, which the judges loved, was likely the ugliest coat I've seen in my life. 

Obviously, I just don't get it.

KittyK, if you don't get it, I'm in your corner.  I watched the four boring, uninspired, stale collections and kept thinking "the emperor's new clothes" and "there's no there there."  I think it's all four of them and their very weak concepts - I'm rooting for Roberi, but mainly because I think he's the only one with any real ideas, although the outfits he showed last night were unimpressive.  Lawrence, very cool woman but I expected so much when she was so happy about being able to work on her own collection; I thought she would produce some wild, fantastic designs but her stuff was so boring!  Rik, well executed but completely uninteresting designs.  

And Erin, who I believe will win for  no reason other than that the judges picked her name out of a hat (maybe they decided to prank their audience?) and declared her wonderfulness.  Erin, like, well, like, she gets like some, um, like glue and crap and like, makes cutesy buttons and dribbles to  decorate the like kid-in-a-craft-store line she is flogging.  Gawd, when I saw that she had a mentor (who has nothing to do with clothing design) who talked her out of becoming a dental hygienist and into becoming a designer, I wanted to reach through the screen and strangle the mentor.  Even if I could stand her special snowflake attitude and vocal fry,  her own personal choices in clothing, hair and makeup would be enough to send me running in the opposite direction.  What the HELL is with the denim diapers, the acid queen shoes and that fluffy yellow boa?  

What a crappy, forgettable season.

• Love 18

Everything on the runway was either fug or boring.

Rik's neverending descriptions of his collection were both amusing and confusing. According to him, his collection is punk rock, hip hop, rock and roll, Sergeant Pepper, and Twiggy. His red and blue leather dress with the arrows forming a bow was the only one of the three looks I didn't hate. The purse looked like an eyeball. The paisley print on denim jumpsuit was so fug and unflattering. I also hated the black and white look. I know it was separates but having leggings made of the same print as the top (leotard?) separated by a skirt made it look like his model was wearing a unitard. I also hated the glasses. They looked like heavy wooden versions of 3D glasses.

I don't understand why Erin is so in love with "creating textiles." The lasercut plexiglass was an unnecessary expense and effort. You can buy stuff like that at the craft store. Putting them in bunches on a dress is nothing new. I HATE that shape she keeps creating with the cut out shoulders and the big droopy sleeves. So fucking ugly. Hated the "digital print" she made for the second dress. The little purse she made was way too on the nose. A clutch that says "so clutch"  - aren't I clever? No, you are not. The clutch itself looked like an elementary school art project, which is to say childish, amateur, and ugly. Tacky font, glitter background. I also hated the woven sleeves on her third look. Not only did the sleeves look big and lumpy, but I hated the proportions. And what was with that hideously tacky banana print she created? So fug.

Laurence's pieces looked boring and ugly. Hated the romper with the big brown leather straps. It looked like something a baby would wear. The floral jacket looked dated especially paired with the tight pants and the triangle of lower torso - very late 90s. I didn't like the pearl encrusted top either.

Roberi's material choices were so hideous. The transparent pink skirt and the iridescent purple skirt looked so cheap and tacky. I hated the orange pants on his third girl either, and the tie at the waist looked very 80s. I do support his deliberate choice not to make his collection "cha cha sexy." I did like the top of the dress with the pink skirt.

The only good thing about this entire episode was Tim Gunn tippy toeing while bowling, complete with cartoon sound effects. That was awesome!

• Love 15
25 minutes ago, jrlr said:

KittyK, if you don't get it, I'm in your corner.  I watched the four boring, uninspired, stale collections and kept thinking "the emperor's new clothes" and "there's no there there."  I think it's all four of them and their very weak concepts - I'm rooting for Roberi, but mainly because I think he's the only one with any real ideas, although the outfits he showed last night were unimpressive.  Lawrence, very cool woman but I expected so much when she was so happy about being able to work on her own collection; I thought she would produce some wild, fantastic designs but her stuff was so boring!  Rik, well executed but completely uninteresting designs.  

I too was disappointed that Laurence, for whom I had high hopes, did not come up with more innovative designs.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, GaT said:

Wow, 4 total crap collections, what happened to these people?

The designers used to have months to make their final collections. Now they have six weeks. It doesn't even make sense to have Tim check in on them now! Before, he'd check in after a couple of months, and the designers still had a couple of months to rethink and rework if they wanted. Whats with him flying in after three weeks, with three weeks to go before FW?  And then the mini collection critique is even worse--what can they do in a day and a half? Sheesh.

I liked Rik's leather dress but the rest of his stuff was AWFUL. and I enjoyed a hearty laugh when he said he was going to pay homage to the sixties, from Twiggy to Sgt. Pepper. So, a year then? Twiggy broke big in 1966. Sgt. Pepper came out in 1967. Spanning the sixties! All righty then.

The best part of Laurence's home visit was her adorable son. What a cutie pie. Best kid at a home visit since Laura Bennett's son offered Tim some turtle poop.

• Love 16
11 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I also hated the black and white look. I know it was separates but having leggings made of the same print as the top (leotard?) separated by a skirt made it look like his model was wearing a unitard. I also hated the glasses. They looked like heavy wooden versions of 3D glasses.

To ElectricBoogaloo:

I actually liked Rik's black and white outfit.  However, it wasn't innovative.  It was straight out of sixties mod, very Mary Quant.

• Love 7
11 hours ago, anniebird said:

Excuse my reply here to Anniebird - I don't know what's going on with my laptop -

but, anyway - I wasn't impressed with anything that I've seen so far - I'll be surprised if Erin doesn't win - it seems like the decision has already been made.  Her collection pieces seemed all over the place (as Heidi said to them all "No cohesion"), and imo, nothing was outstanding, and a lot of it was ugly and tacky.  Adding homemade "sequins" {shouldn't those disks really have been classified as "paillettes"?} to an unstructured dress or coat doesn't make it pretty or innovative, in my opinion.

I felt bad for Roberi - he was trying to get his viewpoint across, and it just wasn't working.  He looked so visibly upset when Heidi, yet again, said he needed to "sex it up" .  I loved that the other judges saw that, and understood that is not his aesthetic, or his woman.  

Everything else just seemed sad - I don't even know who's collection I liked the best, so far.

Loved seeing Michael Kors, though - aside from his snark, which he seemed to tone down, he really does have great advice for the designers.

AND----WTF was Nina wearing??  It looked like an Ugly Christmas nightgown!!  How is someone supposed to take advice from someone wearing that schmata?  

Just disappointed in all of this - I'm not a designer, but I think even I could come up with something better than a lot of what we've seen thus far.

Edited by njbchlover
  • Love 8
1 minute ago, KittyK said:

I hadn't notice and had to search for a photo of Nina's dress. You're right!  The dress looks frumpy on her.

Frumpy Nina.jpg

Well, the dress in that photo looks horrible on her too, but last night, Nina was wearing some black thing that was chiffon on top, with some red and green sparkly embellishments.  I couldn't really see the bottom, but what I did see looked pretty bad, too.

The dress she is wearing in this photo - I swear I had several versions of this back in the late 80's/early 90's.  I'm not saying that Nina should be dressing like a 20-something, which would look ridiculous, but sometimes, I don't get her personal fashion sense.

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, njbchlover said:

Well, the dress in that photo looks horrible on her too, but last night, Nina was wearing some black thing that was chiffon on top, with some red and green sparkly embellishments.  I couldn't really see the bottom, but what I did see looked pretty bad, too.

The dress she is wearing in this photo - I swear I had several versions of this back in the late 80's/early 90's.  I'm not saying that Nina should be dressing like a 20-something, which would look ridiculous, but sometimes, I don't get her personal fashion sense.

I couldn't really get a good look at what Nina was wearing last night, but it looked like a Christmas tree and it looked cheap.  I think off the shoulders is fine for women of any age, and Heidi and Nina both have good shoulders and decolletage areas, but that dress in the picture above is just so badly proportioned and like you said, dated.    

8 minutes ago, RealityCowgirl said:

Speaking of Erin's cutout shoulder/droopy sleeve thing:

I believe it's called "cold shoulder" at Chico's this year. I'm anxiously awaiting them to work that out of their system and give me regular tops again.

Cold shoulder is the perfect name, not because of the design but because that is exactly the reaction it produces, in me at least.  Ug-Lee.  Not just ugly, but impractical, too.

• Love 4

Gosh everything looks so cheap!  So boring! 

Compare to Laura Bennet's lushness, or Christian's outrageousness, Jay's originality...

nothing here makes me say, "wow, OMG that's amazing."

too bad.  mediocrity rules.

• Love 15

What I think is happening here is that runway shows for many designers have become who can out-freak each other.  If you look at the designs, from real designers, for this past season, I highly doubt that you'd see a vast majority of those designs being worn by anyone.  Fashion shows used to be where designers put out their very best, where buyers from all the major stores would come to see the designs to buy for their stores.   But now, it's nothing but A list celebrities sitting in the front row, just to see and be seen.  And so many of the outfits are just too funky to be real.  I think this year's group is influenced by funky, all in the hope that if they out funk the other, they'd be noticed more.  

• Love 8

I honestly thought that PR was playing a trick on us last night.  I just found it so hard to believe that the designers were SERIOUSLY planning to show those clothes at NY Fashion Week.

I love Laurence but I'm really puzzled by her outfits.  I find it so hard to believe THAT'S what she would create once she was given the freedom to design anything she wanted.  The jacket and pants ensemble was the most disappointing; whoever called it late 90's was spot on.  I hated that look back then and I hate it now.  And I find it so hard to believe that Laurence dressed like that back in the day.  I really liked the white t-shirt and pants especially because of the contrast of the white on the model's beautiful black skin.  THAT was fashion.  I really liked the romper too and if I was 20 years younger I would have been all over that shit.

After seeing what Rik sent out, all I can say is Cornelius was robbed.  He definitely would have come up with something better than that hot mess.  Sgt. Pepper?  Where was Sgt Pepper in that outfit?  I liked the 'Twiggy' dress.  The bag looked like a variation of the 'Mod' symbol from back in the day but he messed it up.

Those who call Erin a 'crafter' are right.  Gluing shit on neoprene isn't fashion.  Laurence was criticized for doing her jacket too many times but at least the jacket was beautiful.  Erin's stuff was 'cool' for the sake of being 'cool', just like Erin. 

The biggest surprise was Roberi.  He isn't flashy but he always produced well-made, beautiful pieces.  I can't believe that he really thinks that shiny 'gift wrapping' (tm @dleighg) was so great that he would use it TWICE.  His looks had my spidey senses tingling.  Maybe Laurence and Robeiri are self-sabotaging so the 'favourite' will win.  Both Laurence and Robeiri can out design and OUTSEW Erin in their sleep (Rik is just Rik).  The only way Erin can win is if the fix is in.

• Love 6

Well, that was really boring. I'm usually amped about someone by now.

I think everything I groaned about through the entire show has been mentioned here.

So, I'll just add an embellishment :

13 hours ago, auntlada said:

I never noticed Erin's likes until people here mentioned them. Now it is all I hear. I don't care for her designs much, although that may just be a personal preference, but I really can't stand her. It's the little head tilt and chin bob and smirk while she's talking. I want to smack her and tell her to grow out of that already because it's not cute on a grown woman.

Like, for sure.

• Love 7

Half of Erin's stuff reminded me of my mom's 70's robes/nightgowns, while the other half reminded me of 90's Courtney Love wannabe without the edge. I must be old, because I just don't see how anyone would wear anything she makes out of the house with a straight face.

• Love 10
3 hours ago, Maya said:

Erin is so full of herself it's nauseating. 

Your comment reminded me of one an old professor made several decades ago regarding a young woman, similar to Erin (arrogant, cocky, patronizing, sure she knew it all and could do her thing better than anyone who ever lived and still thought that she was the cutest trick in shoe leather). "Give her five years, maybe seven; it will take her that long to have the stuffing knocked out of her a few times. If she's smart, she'll learn."

I don't know what ever happened to her as she was never heard from again after she graduated. I suspect the Prof was right, though and also suspect the same could be applied to Erin. Like Daniel Vosovic (or whatever his last name was) the one who made Fashion week and lost. Kors offered him a job which he turned down, convinced he would sweep through the fashion industry like a conquering hero. He was wrong as, I suspect, will Erin be.

• Love 5