Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E11: Sealed By Santa, PolyGlide Synthetic Ice, Hand Out Gloves, DigiWrap

yeswedo
  • Start Topic

An entrepreneurial single mom who works with Santa Claus to reply to children's letters, complete with the North Pole postmark; an 83-year-old Ironman triathlon competitor from Malibu, California, and his millennial-aged business partner from Sandy, Utah, who invented a more functional winter glove; and two men from Glendale Heights, Illinois, who aim to make gift-giving more personalized with their product. Also, a "Shark Profile" on billionaire Mark Cuban.

I could tell from probably two seconds into her intro package that the Santa single mom was going to be 1. peddling a useless product and 2. crying. What an elaborate waste of money. At least Elf on a Shelf is selling a toy. Everything she was presenting was something a parent could easily DIY and make it more meaningful, save the weird Skype with Santa. How does that even work? Is it a weird pre-recorded video with the kids' names dubbed in? Is it Santa now a cam girl? Also, she said she employed 12 other "elves" last season, to the tune of $10k in employment cost, which I assume means nobody made even a grand pre-tax for at least a few weeks' worth of work. That's grim

• Love 15
2 minutes ago, AKraven said:

Hey, "Elf Lady," the Santa Claus House in North Pole (actual town), Alaska, has been sending letters from Santa for over fifty years - my kid received one twenty years ago.

Come to think of it, I've got one I got as a little kid, and I'm over 50.

• Love 4

I also remember when I was in high school, we had a club that did all sorts of charity work, including responding to letters kids had mailed to "santa claus." The post office passed them on or something. So it was a personal response and not just a form letter. Also, it was free.

12 minutes ago, LittleIggy said:

What was the deal with the gloves? I missed what it was that made them special.

They had a zipper so you could pop your fingers out without removing the whole glove. I've seen similar things with knit/wool gloves (although not with a zipper), so I guess this is just a waterproof version.

The customized bags/tissue paper was kind of a cool idea, but expensive. Who spends that much on packaging when they give a present?

• Love 2
37 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

I also remember when I was in high school, we had a club that did all sorts of charity work, including responding to letters kids had mailed to "santa claus." The post office passed them on or something. So it was a personal response and not just a form letter. Also, it was free.

They had a zipper so you could pop your fingers out without removing the whole glove. I've seen similar things with knit/wool gloves (although not with a zipper), so I guess this is just a waterproof version.

The customized bags/tissue paper was kind of a cool idea, but expensive. Who spends that much on packaging when they give a present?

I thought I saw the same thing before, too, but the fact that the thumb comes out too made it unique. The knit ones only uncover fingers 2 through 5.

Santa lady, get a grip. From the power pose, to the tears, to the immediate recovery... Nah. I just did this for my son. Portable North Pole does it easy better and has free options. Very slick site. Boy she just bugged. Barbara had her number when she said "I'll let you dry up and then talk to you."  I  so turned off, i had to turn off the show!

• Love 7

After the ice rink guy was dismissed for being a piece of wet cardboard, basically, he faced the camera and said, I am aggressive, in a calm tone. Hysterical . 

Edited by wings707
  • Love 6

I started watching, heard the first few lines of Elf lady's pitch...meh.  I got up to go clean up the kitchen. A few minutes later, I hear high pitched caterwaulering, and my dog joined in the howling.  My husband yelled from upstairs "What the hell is that?" Me (from the kitchen): " Just swinging for the fences here, but I'm guessing it's another 'single mom- terpreneur' boo-hooing how her kids will starve if the Sharks don't give her money." Another stupid useless waste of money...I'm over 50 and I used to get personalized letters from Santa as a kid.  My inlaws did one for my daughter for years, and I know they didn't spend a lot of money to do it.  I used PNP free Santa videos for several years for my nephews.  In other words lady, your "business" is not new nor unique.

The plastic ice was cool and I've seen similar products at some indoor events.  The guy seemed very nice and his version may be superior, but like the Sharks I don't see a retail/home owner application going very far...$4000 for a typical indoor garage space seems like a butt load of cash to lay out for a kid to practice her spins or slap shots.  

The gloves...another meh.  Lori and Robert were right...it is a crowded space.

The printed bags were too gimmicky IMO.  I guess I can see them doing well in the Bar/Bat Mitzvah or Bridal shower market.  Lord knows there are enough Special Snowflake parents who think every guest wants to take home a gift bag with their little darling's mug plastered on it.  But I agree with Barbara...it's something that most people will toss in the recycle bin when they get home.  Unlike a standard plain gift bag, I wouldn't be able to re-use one of these "personalized" bags for giving a gift to someone else.  And I have actually "personalized" plain gift bags myself...markers, glitter, stickers.  It isn't exactly rocket surgery!

Edited by BusyOctober
  • Love 8

I can see the dumb personalized bags being used for wedding favors or hospitality bags (with a picture of the happy couple on the bag).  It's absolutely a waste of money and will go in the garbage immediately, but people love spending money on dumb disposable stuff for their weddings-- that's pretty much Kevin's argument for why he loves the wedding industry.  And it doesn't matter to the company if the bags ultimately go in the garbage as long as the company gets paid. I totally get why Kevin invested.

• Love 10

The sharks are getting more intricate with their offers. Which isn't a bad thing, though it gets a little overloaded when every discusison has to be broken down into royalty, debt, and equity components. And I'm not sure all the entrepreneurs are completely sure what it means, which at best bodes poorly for due diligence.

To wit, I understand that the gloves market can be expensive and risky to play in. But a line of credit, secured against inventory, matched by someone else's cash, in return for 25%? From Barbara? A couple of times in the past I've floated the question "How much equity would you have to give a shark for $0, just to get them on your team?" Apparently this answers it at 25% because I'm not sure they'll ever draw any of that $300k let alone all of it.

• Love 1

I thought that the personalized bags and tissue paper were right up Kevin's alley.  I was surprised that he didn't seem more interested or start talking about the platform that he seems to ceaselessly promote.  However, perhaps he was downplaying his interest.  And, I so see parents buying bags for favors at kids' birthday parties.  I really think there is potential for these products if they hit the right marketing and markets.  Would I buy them?  Absolutely not, but I really think there's a market for them.

I was surprised that nobody bought into the portable ice rinks.  If I had young children, I would probably be looking up their info on their website this morning.  Robert seemed to be able to skate seamlessly.  I get the point that the presented is not the best salesperson, but he could hire someone part-time until there's enough business to go to full-time.  Besides, I thought he had significant sales and thought he was very reasonable in what he was seeking.

Elf-mom?  Ridiculous.  And she needs at least $100,000 per year to support her children.  So, the ex doesn't pay child support?  I was surprised that she received any offers.  Kevin perked up with his suggestion of Birthday letters.  But I don't see it.  If kids want to hear from Santa, it is around Christmas.  I don't think it would mean as much on their birthdays.  Someone mentioned the Tooth Fairy, but, again, the tradition is some money, not a letter.  Letters are too easy for others to write for this business to explode.  Oh, and her deal with Lori?  Horrible.  Lori gets 22% of the business for a $75,000 investment which is way worse than the $175,000 for 10% that she was seeking, and it is also worse than the $150,000 for 33% that Kevin offered.  That right there shows me that she is not a good business partner.  Oh, and she'll have to pay interest to Lori on the $75,000 that is a loan.  Sigh.

• Love 2

I was fine with the Santa business (I mean, if 45,000 people want to support this lady, who am I to object?) until she started saying that to expand her business, Santa was going to send letters during the summer with things to improve on about how to be good?! Excuse me? Um...no. Santa is a kind, benevolent soul who always gives children presents, regardless of how irritating they are to their parents. "Be good" is such a nice, nebulous term (and the "naughty list" and "lump of coal" such abstract, unthreatening terms for children), I would never want kids to think that Santa is hyper-aware of all their faults during the year. That's not only creepy (Santa-as-omniscient promotes Santa as a God-like figure, which is just weird), but giving kids a "report card" of sorts from Santa in the middle of the year makes Santa less magical and more like...well....a kid's parents.

I saw a lot of projecting from that woman in the expansion in that area of her business, quite frankly. If she thinks all families want an accessible father figure to politely point out the list of ways their children can improve their behavior, maybe it's a good thing she's a single mom now.

• Love 7

See, I was kind of onboard with the Santa woman...until the weeping and the needing $100,000 to support her kids.  Lady, plenty of women have found themselves divorced with children before, and don't turn on the waterworks like that.  Maybe I'm even more cold and dead inside than I want to be, but just keep it together like the businesswoman and role model for your kids that I assume you want to be.  Also, you made the wrong deal.  And also, also, Cuban is Jewish.

I can kind of see the appeal of the DigiWrap.  Would I ever use the service?  God, no.  But I could see plenty of people doing so for a wedding, a bar mitzvah, or a graduation party.  And while I don't think I could describe the structure of the deal they made, I think Kevin is a good partner for them, especially once he hooks them up to Honeyfund and LovePop.

If Ripped Grandpa is sitting on a nine-figure fortune, why even bother making a deal at all?  I know he said he was looking for a strategic partner, but considering he can wipe his buff behind with $100s, that has to open plenty of doors without having Barbara on board.  Or hell, hire a consultant.  If it was just advertising, why not just do one of those ridiculous asks of $1,000,000 for 5%?

1 hour ago, seacliffsal said:

I was surprised that nobody bought into the portable ice rinks.  If I had young children, I would probably be looking up their info on their website this morning.  

Would you be willing to drop $7000 on it?  It looks like it might be fun to rent for like a kid's birthday party, but if you're not serious about doing something on skates, do you actually need a permanent ice simulator?

• Love 3

To chime in on that mom disgust, my young niece has gotten a personalized video from a "real" Santa every year for free from some website that my sister found. Santa says my sister's name several times in the video while looking into the camera. I don't know how it works, but it looks great.

And finally, hard pass on personalized gift bags. The dollar store gets me a set of three bags for a buck and a bag of tissue paper for another dollar. I certainly don't want another recession, but we need to get to a point where there are things that are actually worthwhile and solving real problems on this show. It's just a parade of entitlement.

(And no, I don't mean "solving the world's problems" with Godsocks.)

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, wings707 said:

After the ice rink guy was dismissed for being a piece of wet cardboard, basically, he faced the camera and said, I am aggressive, in a calm tone. Hysterical . 

I mocked the same exact thing when it cut to commercial. :D

When the bag/tissue paper guys came out, I also said, "Isn't there already something like this on Zazzle?" Glad to know I wasn't making things up. And while I'm in the group of people who thinks this is dumb because the stuff will just ultimately wind up in the trash, I was highly amused that Lori's bag was a picture of her holding the bag with a picture of her holding the bag with a picture of her holding the bag....

• Love 2

The thing that confused me about the rink guy is I've seen this advertised before, more years ago than he said he started. I know he said he had competitors but when Robert said they're commercial he's residential, the guy didn't say no. His may be better and more "icey" but he's not the only one selling it in small enough sheets for someone to put in their garage or backyard. Hell, I'm pretty sure where I saw it was something stupid like the Today show at least five years ago, if not more. So this is way more out there than implied in the segment. If he built a better mousetrap, power to him but he wasn't even pushing that angle that hard.

Edited by theatremouse
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, starri said:

See, I was kind of onboard with the Santa woman...until the weeping and the needing $100,000 to support her kids.  Lady, plenty of women have found themselves divorced with children before, and don't turn on the waterworks like that.  Maybe I'm even more cold and dead inside than I want to be, but just keep it together like the businesswoman and role model for your kids that I assume you want to be.  Also, you made the wrong deal.  And also, also, Cuban is Jewish.

This business does not appear to be a full-time job yet she turned on the water works at the thought of not pulling in a six figure salary!  I guess I'm cold and dead inside too because I thought she seemed able to flip the switch on those tears really quick too.  Did you notice the way Barbara seemed heavy on the sarcasm when she waved and said  good-bye to her?  I got the strong vibe that she wasn't much impressed either.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, ichbin said:

Did you notice the way Barbara seemed heavy on the sarcasm when she waved and said  good-bye to her?  I got the strong vibe that she wasn't much impressed either.

In the past, Barbara has taken a very dim view of women who cry when they're presenting.  She's not entirely consistent on that, but she has made comments about how they give away their power when they do that.

• Love 5

I started watching, heard the first few lines of Elf lady's pitch...meh.  I got up to go clean up the kitchen no a few minutes later I hear high pitched caterwaulering, and my dog joined in the howling.  My husband yelled from upstairs "What the hell is that?" Me (from the kitchen): " Just swinging for the fences here, but I'm guessing it's another 'single mom- terpreneur' boo-hooing how her kids will starve if the Sharks don't give her money." Another stupid useless waste of money...I'm over 50 and I used to get personalized letters from Santa as a kid.  My inlaws did one for my daughter for years, and I know they didn't spend a lot of money to do it.  I used PNP free Santa videos for several years for my nephews.  In other words lady, your "business" is not new nor unique.

The plastic ice was cool and I've seen similar products at some indoor events.  The guy seemed very nice and his version may be superior, but like the Sharks I don't see a retail/home owner application going very far...$4000 for a typical indoor garage space seems like a butt load of cash to lay out for a kid to practice her spins or slap shots.  

The gloves...another meh.  Lori and Robert were right...it is a crowded space.

The printed bags were too gimmicky IMO.  I guess I can see them doing well in the Bar/Bat Mitzvah or Bridal shower market.  Lord knows there are enough Special Snowflake parents who think every guest wants to take home a gift bag with their little darling's mug plastered on it.  But I agree with Barbara...it's something that most people will toss in the recycle bin when they get home.  Unlike a standard plain gift bag, I wouldn't be able to re-use one of these "personalized" bags for giving a gift to someone else.  And I have actually "personalized" plain gift bags myself...markers, glitter, stickers.  It isn't exactly rocket surgery!

With the real problems real people have, I would have to blow my whole present budget on the personalized gift bags and have no money left for a gift! 

Elf-aba was annoying -- the woman who did the reindeer tracks was way more together than her and they are both basically in the same boat.  Also, major pet peeve of mine when divorced women say they are "single" mothers.  No, you are divorced, lady; single means never married (same thing applies to single/divorced dads).  I'm so old that when you had a kid and weren't married, said kid was technically a bastard.  Watch some old movies where Sandra Dee or Doris Day gets knocked up and is looking for an unsuspecting dude to marry to "give her baby a name."

Barbara is getting very fresh with some of her male entrepreneurs.  Hubby better watch out!

• Love 2

I see nothing wrong with Santa lady wanting 100k salary from her own business.  Who starts a business with dreams of 30k dancing in their head?  Or sits in front of billionaires with a modest requirement?  They would not have taken her seriously.   She made a lousy deal because she came in wanting Lori, I am sure.  Kevin doesn't make many deals so I understand why one would be reluctant to go with him.  He hasn't show us much of his successes on this show. 

Who would want to buy a skating rink for their garage, leaving their cars outside then have a place to store the tiles when the novelty wears off or they want their garage back.  AND how much skating can you do in such a limited space? 

Personalized tissue paper?  Oh good grief.  That is for the wealthy who have gift wrapping rooms and hired help for that chore.

Though I don't need them, I think the zippered glove fills a need for some.  Many?  Not so sure.  Ice fishermen, hunters and murderers is all I got.  

I love it when Barbara is the voice of reason when she mentions things will get tossed.  This includes her husband constantly buying gimmicks.  The one that leaps to mind is 'another cord organizer.'  He buys them and I throw them out, she says.  LOL!  Love her sometimes.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 1

I hated the single mom and her stupid product. If I had kids, I would just write a damn letter from Santa myself. I'm a good writer and I think I'd know my kids better than other people. Plus, I hated how this Basic Becky turned on the water works and played out the tired "Struggling Single Mom" act. Judging from the possible fake boobs and the nice house she and her kids live in, I doubt she's struggling. I bet the ex-hubby is paying her a lot of alimony. 

I thought the ice rink looked kind of cool, but I think I'd be more likely to rent something like that for a party or event rather than pay an arm and leg for it. 

I can imagine the possibility of people doling out personalized gift bags for wedding/baby showers, weddings, bar/bat mitzvahs, b-day parties and other notable events. But a lot of people like to recycle gift bags and is anyone going to recycle a bag that has been personalized? Plus, there are a lot of crafty people who could do this themselves. I make my own gift bags and get a lot of my supplies at Michaels, dollar stores, etc.

As for the gloves, I've seen these all over the place, so color me unimpressed.

• Love 3

Should I have the fortune to live to 84 in good health *and* to have a a boatload of money from a business I'd built, I would be enjoying a well-deserved retirement instead of peddling zip-off gloves on a reality show while being sexually harassed by Barbara.

I'm stunned that 45,000 people paid crying mom for letters from Santa. We seem to be in agreement on this board that it's an unoriginal and non-viable business idea, but apparently 45,000 people think otherwise.

I find the personalized gift packaging kind of creepy, and don't get me started on the environmental impact.

• Love 5
16 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

Not me!  I'm scandalized that a stupid nothing Hallmark card to stick on top of your gift is now five or six dollars at Walmart.

3 hours ago, theatremouse said:

If he built a better mousetrap, power to him but he wasn't even pushing that angle that hard.

"A better mousetrap" is exactly the phrase that came to mind when I was watching that guy.  If there's enough interest to keep six separate companies in business, I think the fact that his product best simulates real ice is definitely worth considering an investment.  Did I blank out the part of the interview that had the words "proprietary" and "patent"?  If that guy has developed a process that could eventually make rink ice obsolete, **I'd** like to be his partner.

Hated that multiple sharks kicked him to the curb because his affect didn't suit them.  FFS, do we have to have every solicitor go pogo-ing in there, hyperactive with joy at his own brilliance?  They object if someone's too laid back, but they also tsk when someone's wound so tightly the tears burst forth.

Sometimes I think these sharks get too stuck on whether the proper posture is being assumed when it comes time to kiss the ring.

Edited by candall
pronoun agreement is my jam.
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, basiltherat said:

Barbara is getting very fresh with some of her male entrepreneurs.  Hubby better watch out!

I'm thinking Shark Tank producers better watch out too.  I was already skeeved out when Barbara started flirting with Grandpa Gloves and calling him "my lover".  But, when she, um, "consummated", the deal by putting her hand on his butt and giving it a long, lingering cup and a squeeze, I nearly hurled.  If I was Grandpa Gloves I'd sure be thinking Barbara expected a little somethin' somethin' extra for her money. 

Can you imagine if one of the male Sharks did that to one of the female entreprenuers?  Holy sexual harrassment lawsuit, Batman! I'm a little shocked that it wasn't edited out of the show...double standard much?

• Love 15

Elf-mom?  Ridiculous.  And she needs at least $100,000 per year to support her children.  

OMG YES!  I live in Los Angeles, and the homes in my neighborhood are hitting $700k for 900 sq ft (we bought for way less), have a son and a stay at home dad, so we are stretched, but we get by and I'm not over $100k!  That was so presumptious.  And when a PP mentioned child support - dang yes!  Her home was probably given to her in the divorce and she might get spousal support.  Dang!  Of course, I don't expect her to see $30k figures dancing around in her head, but come on, let's be reasonable.  She runs a Santa writing business...................

Where is she from?

• Love 2

I was assuming she has significant debt (not necessarily from the business), so if on top of her children, possibly living in an expensive area, if the payments she knows she has to pay back are big enough...I mean...I still think it's absurd she was saying $100k but for once it sounded like a person saying they'd done the math and that were a real number with something behind it, not just her being one of those "I left some super well paying gig and now expect to pay myself similarly even if the company isn't making a profit" type whiners. Especially with the way the sharks reacted the number and giving her offers that basically worked around it. I'm assuming there was something edited out where she justified the number with something resembling logic, or else they would've laughed in her face, as they tend to in that sort of sitch.

Edited by theatremouse
2 hours ago, candall said:

Not me!  I'm scandalized that a stupid nothing Hallmark card to stick on top of your gift is now five or six dollars at Walmart.

"A better mousetrap" is exactly the phrase that came to mind when I was watching that guy.  If there's enough interest to keep six separate companies in business, I think the fact that his product best simulates real ice is definitely worth considering an investment.  Did I blank out the part of the interview that had the words "proprietary" and "patent"?  If that guy has developed a process that could eventually make rink ice obsolete, **I'd** like to be his partner.

Hated that multiple sharks kicked him to the curb because his affect didn't suit them.  FFS, do we have to have every solicitor go pogo-ing in there, hyperactive with joy at his own brilliance?  They object if someone's too laid back, but they also tsk when someone's wound so tightly the tears burst forth.

Sometimes I think these sharks get too stuck on whether the proper posture is being assumed when it comes time to kiss the ring.

I second this bolded part. That's why I now buy cards, tissue, gift bags, wrap, etc., etc., etc., at the various dollar stores and Big Lots. Cute, funny cards and just as nice tissue and wrapping. Screw Hallmark. And Walmart for that fact.

Edited by Spunkygal
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, wings707 said:

I see nothing wrong with Santa lady wanting 100k salary from her own business.  Who starts a business with dreams of 30k dancing in their head?

No one, but there's an expectation that you have to work in order to earn that kind of salary.  She wasn't at the point where it was feasible, and while I don't remember her exact figures, $100K would have been a pretty significant portion of her gross profits.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, hatchetgirl said:

OMG YES!  I live in Los Angeles, and the homes in my neighborhood are hitting $700k for 900 sq ft (we bought for way less), have a son and a stay at home dad, so we are stretched, but we get by and I'm not over $100k!  That was so presumptious.  And when a PP mentioned child support - dang yes!  Her home was probably given to her in the divorce and she might get spousal support.  Dang!  Of course, I don't expect her to see $30k figures dancing around in her head, but come on, let's be reasonable.  She runs a Santa writing business...................

Where is she from?

somewhere in Florida I think--delray??

4 hours ago, SnarkyTart said:

I'm thinking Shark Tank producers better watch out too.  I was already skeeved out when Barbara started flirting with Grandpa Gloves and calling him "my lover".  But, when she, um, "consummated", the deal by putting her hand on his butt and giving it a long, lingering cup and a squeeze, I nearly hurled.  If I was Grandpa Gloves I'd sure be thinking Barbara expected a little somethin' somethin' extra for her money. 

Can you imagine if one of the male Sharks did that to one of the female entreprenuers?  Holy sexual harrassment lawsuit, Batman! I'm a little shocked that it wasn't edited out of the show...double standard much?

It's a complete double standard, but nobody cares because it's just horny Barbara. She was all over the Toor guy, too. She doesn't come off as threatening, so it'll never be an issue.

• Love 2

Ice Rink Guy: He said he was going to make $400,000 this year, his best yet. At an average of $4,000 an installation, that's only 100 customers. In a year. That's about two sales a week. Sure, you're a great salesman -- sure, you are.

I mean...on the other hand, if you have a high-price niche product, you don't necessarily need a ton of customers to make dough, and if the margin's good that might still be profitable. And if he's three years in he might be too early to really scale up and make it more affordable (if that's even something they wanted to do). But a better way to judge would be if we knew the numbers about the other 6 competitors. Tells you both how he stacks up but also how big the market really is...The other thing is how often do you need to replace those panels? 

• Love 4

Can you image if one of the men did what Barbara did with the old dude?

It was creepy and wrong and made no sense.

The Santa letters, the tissue paper/bag and the gloves are nothing new really, the ice rink was expensive and  you would need a perfectly level space to put it on. 

• Love 2
15 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

I second this bolded part. That's why I now buy cards, tissue, gift bags, wrap, etc., etc., etc., at the various dollar stores and Big Lots. Cute, funny cards and just as nice tissue and wrapping. Screw Hallmark. And Walmart for that fact.

Hell, I write with magic marker right on the wrapping paper!  

18 hours ago, chocolatine said:

I'm stunned that 45,000 people paid crying mom for letters from Santa. We seem to be in agreement on this board that it's an unoriginal and non-viable business idea, but apparently 45,000 people think otherwise.

I'm guessing grandmas did that for fun and it was a one shot deal.  How long do kids believe in Santa Clause anyway?  I know I got it very early on as did my kids.   I left a shot of rum and a salami sandwich for Santa; that was my first clue.  

• Love 1
2 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I love how people are shocked, just shocked, when a woman acts how men do every single day. I'm certainly not saying it's right (because it's not--it's criminal), but welcome to our world, men.

I'm shocked, just shocked that you think that's how men act every single day...

• Love 3
3 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I love how people are shocked, just shocked, when a woman acts how men do every single day. I'm certainly not saying it's right (because it's not--it's criminal), but welcome to our world, men.

Oh boy, here we go. "Take that, menz! Now you know how it feels!"

I don't think Barbara's inappropriate behavior should be used as a vehicle for you to voice your frustrations about men. Nor do I think that only men are complaining about how Barbara's been behaving. She's never been shy to call a man attractive-in past seasons she's made frequent comments to entrepreneurs she thinks are cute. She received no blowback, and that's slowly built up her confidence to the point where she feels comfortable grabbing a man's bottom. 

• Love 3
21 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

Agreed. I've reached the stage in my life where I don't give gifts/cards to people unless it's a really special occasion. When I do, I refuse to sink as much into the packaging as I did the gift. Especially when I know it's gonna go straight into the garbage can.

• Love 1

The more I think about it, the more confused/frustrated I am about the tearful "I must draw a 100k salary" condition, and how the Sharks gave into it so easily. That was like 1/3 of her sales so far, and they didn't even ask what if anything she'd taken as personal profit so far (unless I missed it). It's pretty normal for entrepreneurs on this show who are pitching, and pitching successfully, to not have taken any salary yet, and I have a feeling she wasn't in that boat. And this is a person who employs 12 other people, for a few hundred bucks each! God forbid any of them have mouths to feed, or want health insurance. She needs to get a damn job if a stable six-figure income is mandatory for her and her family's continued survival. 

• Love 7
22 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

No surprise that all the Hallmark stores in my town have closed.  I would rather send a $5 holiday gift certificate for coffee or fast food than spend  $5+ on a card these days...heavy on the + because it seems every card I like and turn around is at least a few dollars more than that these days.

On 12/10/2016 at 0:14 PM, augmentedfourth said:

When the bag/tissue paper guys came out, I also said, "Isn't there already something like this on Zazzle?

Just doing a quick Google search for personalized bags and tissue paper comes up with a multitude of options.  

If someone handed me a gift bag with their photo on it I think my eyes would roll so far up into my head I would need medical attention.

On 12/10/2016 at 8:55 AM, BusyOctober said:

The plastic ice was cool and I've seen similar products at some indoor events.  The guy seemed very nice and his version may be superior, but like the Sharks I don't see a retail/home owner application going very far...$4000 for a typical indoor garage space seems like a butt load of cash to lay out for a kid to practice her spins or slap shots

I could see people with kids that figure skate or play hockey putting something like this in their garages during off season, but not at that price.  If the cost were down below 2K I think he would probably sell quite a few of them in the home market.

This whole episode seemed like a bunch of not necessarily bad concepts with no real growth and earning potential.  

• Love 3

The tissue guys clearly had a royalty plan if they needed a deal and O'Leary was their best bet. 

Also, the glove thing seems really weirdly specific. I have quite a few pairs of those glove/mitten hybrids where you can fold back the mitten and your fingers are free. I bought them all at Target, and use them all the time while running and shoveling I'm the winter for heat dissipation. I can pop my thumb out too...so it seemed like an overly complicated revision to a normal product. 

The tissue guys clearly had a royalty plan if they needed a deal and O'Leary was their best bet. 

Also, the glove thing seems really weirdly specific. I have quite a few pairs of those glove/mitten hybrids where you can fold back the mitten and your fingers are free. I bought them all at Target, and use them all the time while running and shoveling I'm the winter for heat dissipation. I can pop my thumb out too...so it seemed like an overly complicated revision to a normal product. 

3 hours ago, annewithaneee said:

The more I think about it, the more confused/frustrated I am about the tearful "I must draw a 100k salary" condition, and how the Sharks gave into it so easily.

Did they, though? I don't think Lori agreed to a salary on her offer (which was the accepted one). And Kevin gave a flat "no" to it. Robert was supportive... but you know, earlier last week I caught a repeat of the show with You Smell soap. Also an attractive blonde, and also he offered a salary against two competing offers. And then he completely lost interest after the show

I can't say for sure that would have happened here, but the similarity is striking.

Could the Santa woman even do math? I'm betting the actual deal never goes through. She thinks her business is so valuable that she doesn't want to part with it? I don't get it.

i guess they were desperate for some seasonal   ideas.

• Love 1