Type keyword(s) to search

LIVE CHAT: Election Night 2016 (11/8/2016)

3 minutes ago, madmaverick said:

NYT site is forecasting >95% of Trump winning.  Is that for real?!  Even looking at the graphic meter makes me sick.

538 still has each at 49%.

Nate Silver is likely in denial.

Also probably (like a lot of Trumponents) planning a (literal) exit strategy.

ALL the polls were wrong, ALL of them.

Here we are, a sleazebag about to become President Elect Donald Trump.  BUT!! Here's my consolation. IF Trump has lost this election there would have been major anarchy across the country, there would be bloodshed as they promised there would be. There still 'might' be but Democrats are generally not crazy anarchist types so they will accept this as their fate.

• Love 1

Not being sarcastic--why is everyone worried about their retirement funds?

Because they're significantly tied up in stocks, and the market drops like a stone as Trump's numbers go up. 

• Love 2
Just now, Silly Angel said:

The Dow Jones futures are down 750 points right now.  My retirement is going to be screwed, and I'm 62.  Little chance to earn it back.

1 minute ago, Silly Angel said:

Trump isn't very good with banks. He tends to screw them over.

Also, Social Security will be gone, Medicare, and all that too. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Silly Angel said:

Because Wall St. hates tRump and all the uncertainty he would bring.  The Dow futures are already tanking.  I'm worried sick about our 401k; we are newly retired and I'm about to lose it:  my mind and my money.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, scout305 said:

Fuck. It doesn't matter that Hilary won the west coast states WE KNEW SHE WOULD WIN. She needs the battlegroud states and Trump just won NC

It's okay if he wins NC, Florida and even NH.

He can't win Virginia (and it seems he hasn't--yay!), any of the rust belt states and Nevada.  If he could lose Iowa, that would be a beautiful gift.

Seriously, as long as he loses Nevada and doesn't win the rust belt, I think it's okay (Iowa would really, really help for a little cushion since NH failed us.)

I've only been active on Twitter and Facebook for the past years to fight the tides of support for Trump. If he wins, I'm deleting both of them and I really don't give a shit what happens. Maybe we'll see Putin welcomed to visit the White House as a guest of President Trump.

• Love 1
Just now, madmaverick said:

On the BBC they just that said 60% of people who voted for Trump thought he was unqualified to be President.

I give up.

Because 50% of Americans have a below-average IQ.  The same 50% in the basket of deplorables.  

• Love 7
1 minute ago, meowmommy said:

NYT says Drumpf margin in FL is smaller than the Jill Stein vote.  

Fucking Nader Jill Stein.  

Even with all else gone Trump staying Trump Florida would flip it the other way.

But numerically it seems impossible if the 99% reported figure is even close to right.

While the lack of a landslide victory is upsetting, I'm not ready to pack it in yet. While I was home today (I had to go to the suburbs to vote) I was cleaning out my old notes from high school and I happened to start reading my notes on the history of slavery, suffrage, and the 13th-19th amendment. It gave me confidence before jumping into this thread tonight and getting mired in the bedwetting. I have to believe that we'll get through this. 

• Love 2
Just now, meowmommy said:

Because 50% of Americans have a below-average IQ.  The same 50% in the basket of deplorables.  

Well know what? Fuck them all the idiots, they'll all be as fucked as we are, only we'll have the consolation of a clear conscience by not voting for him.

• Love 5
23 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I have been paying literally twice as much as I could pay for one of the new plans introduced under the ACA (not by getting something on the exchange, just by switching to a plan that is still fully funded by me, but came about following the ACA and is cheaper yet provides better benefits) because I'm grandfathered into it and can't lose it so long as I pay my premiums.  If I go with something else that is cheaper but doesn't come with those protections, and Republicans get rid of the ACA and its prohibition against denying policies to those with pre-existing conditions, I will be without health insurance.  So the Republicans and their goddamned crusade against the unpardonable sin of people having health insurance have been costing me $200/month for quite some time now.

Remember, Trump's plan to replace the ACA is to "replace it with something terrific." That is a very detailed, highly explicit plan that I'm sure everyone will get behind immediately (I'm being sarcastic, of course). He also stated that healthcare would  be privatized again and he would try to find some way to help out the "poor people," but of course, has no clue how and no plan spelled out.

This has to be something relevant to so many of his ignorant supporters. How can they overlook this? How can they not want to know what healthcare is going to cost them and what level of care they would be able to get? It's flat out ignorance - I don't know any other way to describe it.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Padma said:

It's okay if he wins NC, Florida and even NH.

He can't win Virginia (and it seems he hasn't--yay!), any of the rust belt states and Nevada.  If he could lose Iowa, that would be a beautiful gift.

Seriously, as long as he loses Nevada and doesn't win the rust belt, I think it's okay (Iowa would really, really help for a little cushion since NH failed us.)

Padma, I'm sorry but that makes the presumption he's going to lose WI and MI. And it seems more and more likely he's winning those.

2 minutes ago, Kromm said:

Trump isn't very good with banks. He tends to screw them over.

Also, Social Security will be gone, Medicare, and all that too. 

Right.  That smarmy fucker Paul Ryan has been itching to privatize Social Security and to screw with Medicare.  It would be poetic justice if the Trumpkins suffered and ended up with egg on their faces.  But the rest of us don't deserve that.

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, madmaverick said:

It will be very sad to me if Hillary loses because not enough women came out for her.  I'm not saying you have to vote for someone because they are a woman but I've never understood why some women perceive her with actual hatred and find someone like Trump with his track record with women preferable.  It's incomprehensible to me.   Hillary had plenty of admirable qualities for women (and men) to admire.  Why didn't more of them connect with her but rather with a horrible person like Trump?

I don't get it either. My country is just as sexist as yours (until a few months ago our laws said it wasn't rape unless the victim physically fought back), but the old, white men making up our conservative party had no problem nominating and voting for a woman as head of state. But your liberal voters can't elect the most qualified candidate ever who just happens to be a woman? I had more faith in you.

Edited by muessigkeit
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, madmaverick said:

On the BBC they just that said 60% of people who voted for Trump thought he was unqualified to be President.

I give up.

The exit poll  said Clinton was more qualified yet here we are 

• Love 1

Whatever the final result, it's clearly not going to be a FU at all that Trump represents.  Which is just sad, sad, sad.

I know many Americans don't care what the world thinks of them.  America's global reputation was down in the dumps in the Bush era.  If Trump is elected, it'll be back down there or worse.

• Love 1
Just now, HumblePi said:

Well know what? Fuck them all the idiots, they'll all be as fucked as we are, only we'll have the consolation of a clear conscience by not voting for him.

We can hope that if a Trump presidency screws them over they will turn on him like a pack of rabid dogs. 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, madmaverick said:

I give up.

If people thought that the pumpkin spice dildo wasn't qualified, why the hell did they vote for him?! I honestly don't know if I'm more confused or angry right now.

• Love 2

This whole evening has been a fucking nightmare.

I did not think it wold be this way except in my nightmares.

I really didn't expect this and I am very angry because I know most people did not want Trump but they were either fucking Bernie Bros or folks who didn't want to vote,\ for Hillary because she wasn't, you know, perfect and they were too precious too vote for someone who didn't quite meet all their expectations. Meanwhile the Trump voters didn't care that he groped women or didn't pay taxes or pay people that worked for him. No, they didn't have the expectations the other side had. No, our side wanted Hillary to meet all their expectations re: progressive ideals. So they held out and NOW they will have to deal with the far right policies.

• Love 2

Here we are, a sleazebag about to become President Elect Donald Trump.

Is it too late to vote for President Terry Crews?

• Love 4

Remember, Trump's plan to replace the ACA is to "replace it with something terrific." That is a very detailed, highly explicit plan that I'm sure everyone will get behind immediately (I'm being sarcastic, of course). He also stated that healthcare would  be privatized again and he would try to find some way to help out the "poor people," but of course, has no clue how and no plan spelled out.

I can afford to pay (within reason).  My problem is I don't have it through my employer, and if we revert to pre-ACA days I can be denied insurance altogether - no matter how much money I stood there offering up - because I have pre-existing conditions (which are, and I shit you not, severe menstrual cramps and three BENIGN breast lumps). 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, muessigkeit said:

I don't get it either. My country is just as sexist as yours (until a few months ago our laws said it wasn't rape unless the victim physically fought back), but the old, white men making up our conservative party had no problem nominating and voting for a woman as head of state. But your liberal voters can't elect the most qualified candidate ever who just happens to be a woman? I had more faith in you.

Actually not from the U.S. or the U.K. but if the U.K voted its PM by popular vote, who knows who'd they elect.  Could be Brexit all over again.  Certain brands of populism certainly seem to have found audiences everywhere.

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

If HC loses, one of the main reasons is because she's a woman. No one will ever convince me otherwise.

Absolutely, one hundred percent.  There is a segment of this country who has always hated her for the cardinal sin of being an unapologetic ambitious woman.  

13 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

All the 3rd party voters should sit down and shut up for the next 4 years.

Hell with that.  They should be on the front line of experiencing every single one of his horrendous policies.  Unlike the Drumpf cult, they KNEW he was wrong, and they still let their petty little egos take the wheel instead of doing the right thing. 

• Love 9