Type keyword(s) to search

LIVE CHAT: Election Night 2016 (11/8/2016)

5 minutes ago, Pixel said:

I honestly don't know if I can stand to do any post mortem. If I can't bring myself to go back into the political threads, I want to thank all of you for helping me stay sane this last few weeks. You've been the best. I hope to see you in happier forums (like for shows). 

I know.   I want to bury my head in the sand and watch Tv shows.  I now understand those people I bitched about who say "I hate politics" and don't follow elections.  I don't ever want to care this much again.  

• Love 9

So, Putin, Assange and Comey managed to help Trump enough with keeping the email issue alive and using it Every. Freaking. Speech. to make many people think she was a crook who couldn't be trusted.  (This, when our new president has 3 upcoming fraud trials--luckily not for rape. He got a break there.)

But Hillary may very well win the popular vote decisively while he will win the "rigged system" part--the Electoral College.  Oh, irony!!!

• Love 10
30 minutes ago, HumblePi said:

I don't think that one night of trauma here is going to help anyone and I would suggest to petition the management of PTV to add a new forum, sort of a postmortem forum for people to be able to come and express their anger, anxiety and possibly help others.

What say you?

Just start one.  Here in "Current Events & Politics," we the people have been making new threads.

• Love 2

Maharincess, your name and icon reminded me of "I Love Lucy" and I have most of the seasons on DVD. That show always makes me smile - my mother introduced me to reruns of it when I was child as I'm only in my early 30s now but I used to love watching the show with her and its always been one of my favorites. I think I am going to go watch some of those to help try and get some sleep.

Edited by Rapunzel
  • Love 2

As a vehemently pro choice woman, I am now terrified of the idea of back alley abortions becoming a huge thing. I am terrified for immigrants and  minorities in this country being victims of hate and violence since fear against them has been validated by this election. I am terrified of LGBT friends losing their rights. I am terrified for my near retirement parents. I am terrified for my husband in the military now that this ass clown will our commander in chief.

fuck.

I don't know how we'll figure this out but we will. Pro-choice women wield a lot more power than they did in the past. We will find a way, even if it starts a few steps ahead with sex ed and contraception... somehow. I need to have faith we will find a way.

I fear the escalation in Islamophobia in particular. But immigrants and minorities and the LGBTQ community have stronger, louder voices and bigger platforms and more allies that they did in the past. We will find a way. And, weirdly, the fact that many of them are sheltered in more diverse, accepting communities and the fact that the straight, white communities that are hateful do their best to keep themselves segregated is probably going to keep many people safe. I am the most fearful for the women and minorities at the boundaries of these segregated (or attempting to segregate themselves) communities. 

As for violence, gun control is probably out of the question but I hope for some pretense of their cherished "law and order." 

I can't speak to how he might fuck up the economy and foreign policy right now but while they don't have a majority, there are still three branches of government, and I think we can bet on them fighting their hardest. While some people seem to have to have seemingly inexhaustible reserves of hatred, we must believe that love is stronger. Truth is stronger. And when we falter, we must help each other pick up the slack. 

• Love 3

Popping in to say that I think with all the shilling she's going to have to do for Trump thanks to her network, Megyn Kelly may go on a tirade, yell "I can't do this any more", and walk off set in the future.  She hasn't exactly kept her feelings about Trump secret.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, Rapunzel said:

Maharincess, your name and icon reminded me of "I Love Lucy" and I have most of the seasons on DVD. That show always makes me smile - my mother introduced me to reruns of it when I was child as I'm only in my early 30s now but I used to love watching the show with her and its always been one of my favorites. I think I am going to go watch some of those to help try and get some sleep.

In the past, I used to watch The Simpsons to cheer me during times of heartbreak, but I dont think that will help. I actually feel like watching something sad, and having a cathartic cry.

1 minute ago, magdalene said:

It's over. She has conceded.  I am heartbroken and terrified.

Noo! I thought they were waiting until tomorrow? I'm seriously going to be sick.

• Love 1
Just now, gatopretoNYC said:

In the past, I used to watch The Simpsons to cheer me during times of heartbreak, but I dont think that will help. I actually feel like watching something sad, and having a cathartic cry.

We're hosting an election party, so I escaped into the master bedroom for a bit and did cry. Now, since everyone is staying here as we all still want to stay together and a lot of them are too drunk to go anywhere anyway, I feel like putting on something light and funny.

I'm a bit upset Hillary conceded already, but I get why she did. This whole thing is unbelievable and I just feel numb right now.

• Love 3

I drove by the Javits Center two times today. One in the morning. Once at night before checking in on this thread. Both times I was filled with so much hope and assurance. I am rattled but not broken. We are not broken. We will get through this. It is an embarrassing step backwards but we can't allow it to be more than that. I voted for the first time today. And I was so happy about it. And I'm not going to let that feeling go.

• Love 1

omg.  Seriously?

NATE SILVER 2:52 AM

That's A Wrap

Donald Trump has been elected president of the United States.

In an extremely narrow sense, I’m not that surprised by the outcome, since polling — to a greater extent than the conventional wisdom acknowledged — had shown a fairly competitive race with critical weaknesses for Clinton in the Electoral College. It’s possible, perhaps even likely, that Clinton will eventually win the popular vote as more votes come in from California.

But in a broader sense? It’s the most shocking political development of my lifetime.

We’re going to get some sleep, and then we’ll have much more to say over the next days and weeks about how Trump won and what it means for the country. We hope you’ll continue to join us on a regular basis.

How America?  How?

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, jjj said:

The debates, the ground game of the Clinton campaign in the battleground states, the lack of civility, etc., etc. -- just, how?

Because Trump was going against the establishment, he was "the outsider" looking to take down the status quo.  Also, in this election for most people it was about "Who is the lesser of 2 evils", Trump had more people who were firmly behind him, while Hillary had people on her side who were of the mindset "Anybody but Trump."

I voted for Hillary, but she wasn't a strong choice for the Democrats.  Had it been Bernie, he probably would have ran away with it.  If Hillary had faced Rubio or Cruz, Rubio or Cruz would have ran away with it.

• Love 4