Type keyword(s) to search

LIVE CHAT: Election Night 2016 (11/8/2016)

2 minutes ago, ABitOFluff said:

I don't give up unto the very end, but the one bit of comfort I have, if Trump does win and sends this country into the worst depression and social crisis we've ever known, I can tell me right wing relatives so STFU, it's all their fault.

No, it's not much comfort, but they won't have one little thing to blame on the Democrats, and I'll be the one bitching about our divisive leadership for a change.

• Love 3

That's what absolutely slays me about all the bitching about Obama.  Like hey, assholes, you know the Republicans controlled Washington almost the entire time, right?  And many of the BAD things that happened were because of direct opposition to the President?  Fuckers.

• Love 13

If this is done if Hillary loses than: my open letter to America:

To those of you who protest voted or abstained because you felt disenfranchised , marginalized ,sick of it all with the status quo you just made it so so much worse. There was a broken system but it could be fixed but now it's just pulverized. And thanks for taking the rest of us with you. The ones who wanted changes for the better. To those who want to go back to the 50's whether that's 1950 or 1850. It's never coming back! the economy, the jobs they are gone!!!!!!

I'm spent. I can't believe this. I'm just....done.

• Love 8

So how does this whole school board elections thing work? If we had been able to talk about issues this election maybe we could have talked about how important it is to have curriculum in this country covering slavery, civil rights, suffrage, reproductive rights, consent, the spectrum of human sexuality, etc. 

Part of privilege is assuming everyone has access to what you think of as a "normal" education. We need to reach more people before they start shutting out "liberal bias."

• Love 3
Just now, madmaverick said:

Who knows more about MI?  I thought that almost always went Dem.  But Trump probably played really well with the defunct manufacturing base. 

From what I'm seeing, the MI totals don't include Wayne County (Detroit) yet. Major urban areas tend to go blue, so MI could very well change.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, Ladyrain said:

Is this thing lost to us?  Is there any hope?  I'm so mentally frantic I cannot think straight.  MSNBC is making me think this thing is over.  I can't make sense of what's happening; it's like a death in the family and there's nothing you can do to make it right again.

Florida seems to be a done deal. The result? Gary Johnson made Trump president.

Numerically that's true with Johnson and NC too (except NC going Clinton won't be enough anymore if all the other Trump leads stay). 

AZ is important too. It would be enough to push the win the other way... but it won't happen if we are being realistic. AGAIN Johnson is the difference there... but it at least makes SENSE in his state. Only 23% are reporting there though--and it would take BOTH AZ AND either MI or WI flipping back to Clinton... or BOTH MI and WI. (this also all assumes NV goes BLUE and NH RED). 

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, madmaverick said:

Who knows more about MI?  I thought that almost always went Dem.  But Trump probably played really well with the defunct manufacturing base. 

Because a guy with 6 bankruptcies will turn this economy around! Yes, but not in the way they think.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, HumblePi said:

Solid Republican states are 160 for him, winning both NC and FL makes it 210 for him, rounded numbers of course. So that would be 250 for Clinton - 210 for Trump, the other 120 electoral votes are contested, not secured for any, that's the projection. If he wins Michigan, Ohio, Georgia, Nevada and Arizona, or steals California and Pennsylvania, that's when you should start to worry

He won't get Ca. and hopefully-hopefully!--not Penn. He will probably get all those others except Nevada (hopefully). And he can't win Michigan. That would be game over, imo.  Also Hillary has to hold Virginia, Wisc. and Minn and get Nevada, since she's apparently lost NH. I think that would put her right there, barely.

I am so afraid for my health insurance. And all sorts of other things I took for granted.

I have been paying literally twice as much as I could pay for one of the new plans introduced under the ACA (not by getting something on the exchange, just by switching to a plan that is still fully funded by me, but came about following the ACA and is cheaper yet provides better benefits) because I'm grandfathered into it and can't lose it so long as I pay my premiums.  If I go with something else that is cheaper but doesn't come with those protections, and Republicans get rid of the ACA and its prohibition against denying policies to those with pre-existing conditions, I will be without health insurance.  So the Republicans and their goddamned crusade against the unpardonable sin of people having health insurance have been costing me $200/month for quite some time now.

• Love 3

One other thing to keep in mind is that, typically, not all of the mail in or absentee ballots are counted until late. Granted, they might not make up a huge amount, but it could still matter. Also, these are still projections - not final counts. If the race is close, and it is likely to be, they might have to wait until actual counts are fully completed.

In addition, FL has a rule that if the count is only separated by half a percent, there has to be an automatic recount. Other states have some similar rules. Even though they are "predicting" that certain states go to one candidate or another, until the actual count is done, nothing is absolutely certain.

PA isn't in, MI, MN, etc., none of them are even projected yet - just "too close to call." This isn't over yet.

• Love 7

80% of evangelical voters in FL voted for Trump apparently.  This pastor is going on on BBC about the voice of God.  I don't know how these people can in good conscience vote for with Trump's character.  What hypocrisy.

• Love 7
Just now, scout305 said:

We NEED PA. That is the key. I've said it for weeks.

We need PA. We get it,we're in good shape. We lose it, hang it up.

PA is not enough.

She's likely to win it, but she now has to win FAR too much else for PA to be even near the biggest issue.

What truly sickens me (and almost makes me feel sorry for them) is that his supporters thinks that he cares about them, he doesn't, he cares about no one but himself, he allowed his own wife to humiliate herself with a plagiarized speech then made fun of her for it, no one means anything to this man.

• Love 12

Rudy Ghouliani as AG... When he was mayor of NYC, he and his police commissioner unleashed a reign of terror on Black folk.

I am terrified that we will be living in a militarized police state; we're already there but it will be ratcheted up to the 10th power.

And anyone I know personally who voted for this tangerine turd, I am done with your ass. 

• Love 11
1 minute ago, Treehugger said:

All of the pundits seem so somber:  CBS, PBS, MSNBC.  I haven't checked CNN or Fox.  Media has to be scared out of their minds.  Trump is going after reporters immediately if he wins.  I fear for Katie Tur.

I'm worrying about Oliver, Noah, Bee, Colbert, and Stewart. Seriously.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, madmaverick said:

80% of evangelical voters in FL voted for Trump apparently.  This pastor is going on on BBC about the voice of God.  I don't know how these people can in good conscience vote for with Trump's character.  What hypocrisy.

Because abortion. Plus I've seen a lot of justifications along the lines of "voting for a candidate isn't the same as endorsing his views/lifestyle" even though.... it..... literally.... is......

• Love 8

I take solace in a suspicion that Trump's narcissism, arrogance, ignorance, stupidity and overall vileness will so alienate those he has to work with--the House and Senate, the Joint Chiefs of Staff, leaders of other countries--will so cripple his monarchy early on that he will be somehow deposed forthwith. He's going to bobble something, a big something, and if we live through it and it doesn't involve the nuclear codes, he will be forced out.

Oh god, what have I said? That leaves Mike Pence in charge.

• Love 6

That motherfucker has never picked up a Bible in his life.  I'm an atheist and know that the book is "Second Corinthians," yet the guy they're hanging their hat on called it "Two Corinthians" in a speech.  And then, yeah, there's the fact there is absolutely nothing Christ-like about his character and actions. 

• Love 11

I can just imagine Obama sitting in a hotel room with a TV on in the background and his head in his hands.

Don't even want to speculate what Hillary's hotel room looks like right now.  I suspect panic, horror, and tickets being bought for one way trips to Europe by her entire staff.

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, Rosiejuliemom said:

From what I'm seeing, the MI totals don't include Wayne County (Detroit) yet. Major urban areas tend to go blue, so MI could very well change.

I don't think Oakland County is in yet either - that would be the majority of the Detroit Burbs. I did my undergrad in MI, and you can't underestimate a city like Dearborn, which has the largest Middle Eastern population in the US. We all know how Oompa Loompa feels about those from that Region and Muslims....

Edited by Rapunzel
  • Love 1

It will be very sad to me if Hillary loses because not enough women came out for her.  I'm not saying you have to vote for someone because they are a woman but I've never understood why some women perceive her with actual hatred and find someone like Trump with his track record with women preferable.  It's incomprehensible to me.   Hillary had plenty of admirable qualities for women (and men) to admire.  Why didn't more of them connect with her but rather with a horrible person like Trump?

• Love 11
Just now, Spacecow said:

Because abortion. Plus I've seen a lot of justifications along the lines of "voting for a candidate isn't the same as endorsing his views/lifestyle" even though.... it..... literally.... is......

Because the rights of unborn children are far more important than the rights and lives of actual people.

• Love 9
4 minutes ago, Rosiejuliemom said:

I'm worrying about Oliver, Noah, Bee, Colbert, and Stewart. Seriously.

While not super-rich (Well Colbert and Stewart probably are, and Oliver maybe since his renewal deal with HBO), they all can afford to bug out and move elsewhere (and 2 of them have foreign citizenship).

I'm more worried about me, my family, my friends, and heck, even my fellow posters here. 

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 6
3 minutes ago, madmaverick said:

He wants to immediately reverse Roe vs. Wade, that's why the evangelists are voting for him. He also wants to reverse the law that allow same sex marriages.

• Love 1

Sorry, no way did women and minorities pull their weight, they couldn't have. 

My first question before I even begin to associate with anyone on a personal level will be, Who did you vote for in this election

No way can I choose to spend my free time with someone who voted for Trump to be president.  Steven Bannon, Rudy Guiliani, good lord...

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 6

Look, I'm a "godless liberal" but I feel like people really need to be educated on the fact that abortion isn't just hacking babies up with hatchets. Most of the fears are unfounded. And just like... I'm too tired for this whole argument right now but... compassion? Maybe we should try having more compassion for women who have to face this decision. Maybe try not hating non-straight people who don't affect your life at all. I don't know why this is so difficult. In all likelihood I will probably never have to face the decision of whether or not to have an abortion but it doesn't make me feel like I have moral superiority or the right to intervene or pass judgment in someone else's life. If this is too rambly or controversial, I'm sorry. This thread is starting to get to me. 

• Love 16
Just now, Keepitmoving said:

Sorry, no way did women and minorities pull their weight, they couldn't have. 

There was an interview in Florida and they said that the polls showed the majority of Cubans voted for Drumpf.

I don't understand it.

• Love 1