Type keyword(s) to search

LIVE CHAT: Election Night 2016 (11/8/2016)

5 minutes ago, InsertWordHere said:

Can she still win with AZ, NV, PA, and MI?

I think she has to win EVERY single one of those (in other words?  No, because she's NOT winning AZ under any circumstance). 

And the brief lead she seemed to have in Iowa (not on your list) was an illusion. That's Trumped too. 

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

My husband keeps saying we survived Bush/Cheney, so we'll survive Trump/Pence. I'm not so sure. We really never fully recovered from B/C , do it will be worse.

Edited by Hanahope
  • Love 7

I do feel that there is going to be another civil war. The more hate crimes that continue under a Trump presidency the more the anger and desperation will build. I can't see him giving a shit at all or sending the dept. of justice anywhere to even investigate hate crimes. 

• Love 4

If (when, I guess) Trump wins, I still believe that it will be Pence calling the shots. Not that that's any better, though. I think I'll be turning off the news for a good long time after this. I've already deleted all the Trump supporters on FB.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, BW Manilowe said:

Alaska still hasn't been called--or closed voting. It's probably not important, but it's also still available.

Sarah. Palin. Got. Elected. There.

Nuff said.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Hanahope said:

My husband keeps saying we survived Bush/Cheney, so we'll survive Trump/Pence. I'm not so sure. We really never fully recovered from B/C , do it will be worse.

I can't believe that it's come to me defending Bush/Cheney, but as shitty as they were, they didn't seem as though they wanted to dismantle democracy and turn our country into some fucked up absolute monarchy.

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, Silly Angel said:

And for African-Americans, Asians, immigrants, women, LGBT citizens... It occurred to me that my Native boyfriend will be one of the few people allowed to stay here, but then I realized that won't be the way it works.

Florida is gone. That's it.

I will never go to Florida or any state that helped to elect this man.  This is a nightmare.  

• Love 6
1 minute ago, Hanahope said:

My husband keeps saying we survived Bush/Cheney, so we'll survive Trump/Pence. I'm not so sure.

The problem with that logic is that we're still dealing with the fallout of the Bush/Cheney years.

Just now, Apprentice79 said:

I will never go to Florida or any state that helped to elect this man.  This is a nightmare.  

I haven't been to Florida ever since the Trayvon Martin murder.

• Love 4

If (when, I guess) Trump wins, I still believe that it will be Pence calling the shots. Not that that's any better, though.

Worse!  And, yes, Pence would be in charge; Trump has said he'd put him in charge of so many policy areas it covers just about everything.  And we know Trump has no interest in actually doing the work of president.

• Love 5

Here's the geopolitical firestorm coming. Our NATO allies are freaking out!  The TPP treaty and our Asian relationships will be dead. Putin will expand into the Baltic regions. The Turkish president said that if Trump is elected he will refuse to allow launching of our airstrikes into Syria from there. There will be enormous issues on the Southern border with Mexico. There are enormous issues geopolitically that we'll be dealing with. This is the seismic event of our political lifetime.

Edited by HumblePi
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, madmaverick said:

Were those polls predicting a clear win for Hillary before the 2nd FBI letter came out all wrong?  

Nah, I suspect what you have here is something that can't be predicted by polling: A large number of people who know that voting for Trump is wrong and not wanting to admit to it, but doing it anyway.

• Love 10

So many bad parts to this, but one which just occurred to me is that Mr. FBI Comey will never pay for causing this.

One man literally smashed this country to bits. I'm not even counting Gary Johnson, since as I said it's likely another Libertarian would have simply taken his votes if he wasn't in this. 

We've seen the writing on the wall. The FBI will be given license to do whatever it wants.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 2

George W. Bush was a legacy. And he at least had policies and some plan for enacting them. 

President Trump in history books. Let that sink in for a moment.

Spotify is turning against me. I don't think it gets what's happening right now.

Just now, WhitneyWhit said:

I can't believe that it's come to me defending Bush/Cheney, but as shitty as they were, they didn't seem as though they wanted to dismantle democracy and turn our country into some fucked up absolute monarchy.

I can't defend them either, but at least Shrub had some experience as a government executive, and his campaign was not a fraction of the shitfest we got this year.  I was undecided Gore v Shrub right up to the Supreme Court decision, and I knew I hated Drumpf the second he went down the golden escalator.

• Love 2

I'm a 62 year old, single, female cancer survivor (three years).  I live on occasional consulting work and dividends from the stock I purchased over the years.  I have insurance that I pay for myself, through the ACA.

I am sick. Sick at heart. Sick in my soul. I'm going to lose my insurance and not be able to buy a replacement. My investments will probably drop by half. And if the economy tanks as I expect, the consulting work will dry up as well.  And I'm years away from Social Security and Medicare.

What has happened to this country?

• Love 7

I can't imagine telling my hypothetical future kids about this night decades from now when they ask where I was when America went to shit, partially because I'm not quite sure America will be here at that point. I can't believe that monster will have our nuclear codes. 

1 minute ago, madmaverick said:

False equivalence.  Lesser of 2 evils.  The media.  Third party candidates.  Stupid people.  Prejudice.  Hate.  I blame all the above.

Right now I have plenty of anger to direct at all those people/things. 

• Love 1

I just can't with this. And I honestly don't think it's that they underestimated how many people hate Hillary as they underestimated how many closet racist, sexist homophobic nutjobs are out there, along with those people who will always vote along party lines, and those people who will vote for anyone who claims to be pro-life. I hate everything about the prospect of a Trump presidency, and not least that I have had my eyes opened all too wide about how stupid and willfully ignorant people can choose to be.

• Love 8

So to all those Bernie Bros who refused to support Hillary:

Good luck, You reap what you sow. I'm a baby boomer with a decent job so I will probably be OK but you? Good luck with your collage loans and with getting a job. Lotsa luck with getting a retirement plan. You thought Jill Stein was a good deal? Oh yeah, she'll reward you for your vote. Maybe now you'll realize that elections aren't a game and that there are very real life stakes.

And let's just discuss the stakes for other people: for gays who have fought so hard for marriage equality - what will a republican appointment to the Supreme Court mean? Or for African Americans who look for social justice with policing? Trump supports Stop and Frisk.

But hey, at least you white, male, straight middle class Bernie purists got to keep your ideals.

• Love 17
1 minute ago, Apprentice79 said:

My heart breaks for Hillary... She really wanted to help us, I truly believe that....I never gave a damn about the email server, so fucking what! In fact, her emails were never hacked...Talk about Irony...

My heart breaks for her too. Especially because you know that if she loses, people will forever blame her for not being able to defeat Trump and for "stealing the nomination from Bernie, who would have definitely have defeated Trump."

• Love 7

This is truly a blow at my remaining idealism. I really thought we were better than this. 

Also, I'm completely serious. I don't think I can spend 4 years with him randomly popping up on TV and on websites. I need someone to build me a safety bubble. Seeing his face and his name actually causes me anxiety after the garbage of this election season. Not to get into it, but I've been going through some stuff. I don't think I can be a normal functional human being under the stress of a Trump presidency.

• Love 9
40 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Because they're significantly tied up in stocks, and the market drops like a stone as Trump's numbers go up. 

We are quite likely to end up worse than we were in the last recession in 2008. People's 401k, retirement investments, stocks, etc. will lose money, people will lose their jobs, people will lose their homes etc.

If Trump wins, he won't do anything to try to fix these things like Obama did when Obama inherited these problems from the previous administration. He did what he could, and, given what he had to work with, he did a good job over 8 years to correct the damage. Trump will not even make an attempt. This country could fall into the Great Depression II under his Presidency. I hope that everyone who voted for him, didn't vote at all, or who voted for one of the obscure candidates, realizes what they have done to our Country. Trump supporters, given their demographic, should feel the effects of his Presidency pretty hard and it will hurt them. They should be ashamed for being completely bamboozled by some "magic potion" salesman who has nothing in common with the majority of them and is, in fact, a white, wealthy elitist, which they accuse Hillary of being and claim to be so against. This will all start to become much more real for them when they realize that they can't retire - ever. They won't have a 401k, there will be little to no Social Security, they will not have health care, companies will start to shut down, starting with small businesses as that is typically what happens in these cases. Anyone who voted for Trump needs to be ashamed of themselves. I dread the impact it will have on everyone else if he wins, but those that voted for him deserve every negative consequence to come out of  it.

This still is not over and I still have hope that Hillary will win. I am not giving up just yet.

Edited by Rapunzel
  • Love 7

I'm already seeing smug fucking Bernie bros saying "I told you so" and claiming that Bernie would've won. Personally I think that's bullshit and these fuckers plus the third party blowhards have cost us the country. 

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, Kromm said:

Oh lord.

What does this photo at the NY Times remind you students of history of?

08highlights3-superJumbo.jpg

The Brooks Brothers Riot in 2000?

hqdefault.jpg

I'm going to blame the DNC and Debbie Wasserman Schultz for gaming the Democratic primary so that HRC would win the nomination, the archetype of an establishment candidate, in a change election year and expecting a different result.  

I haven't given up yet, and I'm not a Bernie Bro.  I supported and voted for HRC after the primary.  But damn, this wouldn't be happening if we had had Bernie.  

5 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

Dow is now down 1000 points - and it's not even over.

Christ...I think that is the largest drop in a single day. 

7 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

2 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

I can't defend them either, but at least Shrub had some experience as a government executive, and his campaign was not a fraction of the shitfest we got this year.  I was undecided Gore v Shrub right up to the Supreme Court decision, and I knew I hated Drumpf the second he went down the golden escalator.

If the man-sized taint actually wins, he will be the only president ever elected with no prior elected/appointed political experience or military service. His supporters need to refresh my memory as to exactly how he is qualified for this.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, j5cochran said:

I'm a 62 year old, single, female cancer survivor (three years).  I live on occasional consulting work and dividends from the stock I purchased over the years.  I have insurance that I pay for myself, through the ACA.

I am sick. Sick at heart. Sick in my soul. I'm going to lose my insurance and not be able to buy a replacement. My investments will probably drop by half. And if the economy tanks as I expect, the consulting work will dry up as well.  And I'm years away from Social Security and Medicare.

What has happened to this country?

Also ACA here.   I will lose my insurance too and not be able to afford anything else.