Type keyword(s) to search

LIVE CHAT: Election Night 2016 (11/8/2016)

Just now, Kromm said:

You won't have medicare, social security or likely even health insurance anymore under Pres Trump, so it may be a short, if oblivious life choice...

I'm going to end up homeless under a bridge somewhere. The family I invited back into my life begrudgingly are all Trump people and are oblivious to what they will probably be loosing too. I'd rather be homeless then live with them.

• Love 5

I watched Rachel talk about the Muslims who will feel vulnerable and powerless. Schmidt added, "fear". They, undocumented immigrants, journalists, officials like Jeff Flake--so many "enemies" that Trump will be paying back now.

I couldn't watch any more and turned to last  night's replay of "The Voice" on On Demand. Immediately, it started showing the Clinton ad, "The Children Are Watching" as Trump swears, insults women, mocks a disabled man, talks about "blood from her...wherever".  And thinking "That is our president, the President of the United States, the man who will be sitting in the office used by Lincoln...Roosevelt,...Kennedy....Obama...even Reagan and Eisenhower ... and now.... Donald Trump.

The greatest indictment of America, it's unbelievable.  If we wore white today, tomorrow we should wear black, a nation in mourning.

Edited by Padma
  • Love 12

Yeah -  me too.   I'm drinking this wine faster, I need to numb some of this anger. 

I have lost count of how many glasses of Maker's Mark I've had (at least half a dozen) and I do not even feel tipsy.  They don't make anything strong enough to penetrate this despair.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Keepitmoving said:

Yeah, whoever was calling the shots on her campaign was too full of themselves having her in FL and NC which she didn't need. She needed to be all over that blue wall.  I don't know who was responsible for this.

I don't know if it would have mattered in the end. 

We don't know their internal polls, and we've seen how reliable polling has been (not very). It looks like there's a large front of silent protest voters, it's difficult to take that into account if it never shows up in the data.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Kromm said:

I honestly think that the mods here probably will (and should) wind up erasing all of this (and a lot of their video links to certain comedy skits) by January so there isn't a "anti-Trump" pattern to their site visible after that.

I can't disagree more.  I don't think that self-censorship is the answer to nascent Fascism.  It just gives them what they want.  If anything, we need to be louder.

• Love 14
2 minutes ago, dcalley said:

I was on the verge of tears for quite a while and finally just broke down a few minutes ago.

(((((((DCALLEY)))))))

2 minutes ago, Keepitmoving said:

Yeah, I'm going to miss Hayes, Maddow and O'Donnell, but I can't take it. It's political news and I don't care to see a Klansman giving the state of the union address.

(((((((KEEPITMOVING)))))))

It ain't much but it's the only thing I can do for you.

• Love 2

My only hope is that Reps in Congress have their own financial self-interest front and center, and they can't completely trash ours without their portfolios suffering too.

I just burst into tears, and I am not a crier.

I sincerely hope that anyone who voted for Trump checks their 401ks tomorrow and feels as awful as I feel now.  It's too much to hope they feel shame for voting for a bigot.

Edited by backgroundnoise
  • Love 4

NH (4) went back to Clinton territory last second. 

NV (6) as expected for a while also went blue.

It's not enough... just a quirk.  PA, MI, WI, AZ left. 

AZ is Trump no matter what. That's 11. Takes him to 255. Needing only 15.

MI or PA either gives that. Only one of the two needs to go to him.

(EDIT - AND NH is BACK to red again! It must be a matter of only a few votes--again not that it matter with all else that would have to happen)

Edited by Kromm

I've gone to bed appalled by the Republican winner and wondering what the hell is wrong with so many of my fellow Americans.  But NOTHING - including Dubya "winning" a second term - left me feeling in the same universe as I'll feel if we wind up with a Trump presidency.  I honestly don't know what to do with myself right now.  The politics of hate are taking over worldwide again. 

• Love 13
3 minutes ago, JunebugWA said:

One of my FB friends is encouraging her "middle-class" people to buy stocks tomorrow to support Trump -- intelligent, educated woman. 

Oh dear God. But, please let them buy stocks to support Trump! Buy them and then lose all their damn money! If only.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, JunebugWA said:

One of my FB friends is encouraging her "middle-class" people to buy stocks tomorrow to support Trump -- intelligent, educated woman. 

Well of course they're going to buy when stock prices have crashed, and then cash in on the recovery.  If there is one.

I think after tonight the most important job in government will be held by Chuck Schuemer.  He will be the only one who can apply any brakes on the train to disaster.

• Love 3

We don't know their internal polls, and we've seen how reliable polling has been (not very). It looks like there's a large front of silent protest voters, it's difficult to take that into account if it never shows up in the data.

I thought polling was unreliable but I never imagined this "silent majority" was an actual thing. Maybe it was because the visible Trump voters were so vocal. It's hard to come to terms with the idea that there are this many people in this country motivated by hate and self righteous morality... or else they just have a deficit of compassion for those who aren't like them in whatever way. And it's difficult to think that there are still enough people who could make a difference who aren't motivated to vote. 

And because it cannot be overstated, a majority might be about to elect the guy who hosted Celebrity Apprentice.

• Love 5

I mean, because there are people who actually do understand what the powers of the president are, I don't think Trump will be allowed to go full dictator. But if he wins as it is seeming increasingly likely that he will I think he will be able to do a MASSIVE amount of damage. Pence too. 

• Love 2

One of my relatives just posted the most arrogant screed. Talking about how proud Abraham Lincoln, Teddy Roosevelt, and Jesus are right now looking down on America. My drunk ass told her that Jesus is facepalming and Lincoln/Roosevelt are making plans to descend to Earth and take control of some shit.

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

I mean, because there are people who actually do understand what the powers of the president are, I don't think Trump will be allowed to go full dictator. But if he wins as it is seeming increasingly likely that he will I think he will be able to do a MASSIVE amount of damage. Pence too. 

Can we joke one last time while we have an illusion of safety and say he will do a YOOOOGE amount of damage instead of MASSIVE?

• Love 5
Just now, aradia22 said:

The infuriating thing is, a lot of the people who voted him did so because they really do think he can do all the bullshit he's been selling. "We're gonna strike Roe v Wade!" Great, I'll vote for him -- because a president, apparently, has the power to just unilaterally wipe out a Supreme Court ruling just because he wants. "We're gonna repeal and replace Obamacare!" Great, I'll vote for him -- even though he has yet to put forth an iota of an idea of what exactly he intends to replace Obamacare with or how he thinks he can improve healthcare in general, and again, can't just wipe out a law just because you want to, dude. But do they care? Nope. As long as he says the things they're thinking, the fact that he can't actually do any of it is irrelevant.

• Love 3
Just now, Kromm said:

Can we joke one last time while we have an illusion of safety and say he will do a YOOOOGE amount of damage instead of MASSIVE?

And somebody (I think NYT) joked that we can get Alec Baldwin on SNL for the next four years.  

I think I'm done for the night.  Words escape me. I'm really not looking forward to going in to the office tomorrow - my manager is a big Trump guy, and I don't really want to deal with his arrogant, smug ass all day.  I'm glad I had all of you to spend the evening with - I don't think I would have wanted to go through this alone.

Edited by Moose135
  • Love 5
4 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

MSNBC just gave NV to Hillary--6 Electoral College whatevers.

Yeah, and NH keeps going back and forth.

None of it matters if Trump wins EITHER PA or MI. Either of them. 

The last parts of both to be counted are likely rural. In other words Republican.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1
Just now, Chicken Wing said:

The infuriating thing is, a lot of the people who voted him did so because they really do think he can do all the bullshit he's been selling. "We're gonna strike Roe v Wade!"

It's laughable. As if the man cares about abortion or who has it.  

Just now, Chicken Wing said:

I don't know about you but I'm kicking myself for not listening to my mother and renewing my passport when it expired two years ago.

Get a new one.  Should be enough time between now and January 20...

Just take solace in his incompetence.  All of his hate filled plans will require actual, systemic hard work.  Something he is completely incapable of.  And after four years of him chasing his tail and the rust belt getting even rustier because coal isn't king and the mills aren't going to reopen and Mexico is not going to build and pay for that wall we can get down to the business of healing.

Hell, it won't even take that long for the regret.  Grandiose stupidity is understandably frightening but it will burn itself out, I'd be much more frightened if he was intelligent and methodical with a plan.

I can't wait until he realizes how much of the country actually does loathe him and how little the Democrats will play ball.

I'm done just campaigning for the big elections.  I will be out there every cycle from now on!  The evolution of society is not without its hiccups but he won't get anything from me without a fight.

You think you've won, you haven't won, this fight is just getting started!

• Love 12
1 minute ago, aradia22 said:

By the way, I haven't left my room. I don't think I can deal with my parents right now.

Due to circumstances, we live under the same roof as my parents. No matter who wins, the atmosphere in the house is going to be pretty salty for a few days. Three of us can hold our tongues pretty well. My dad...not so much. He's either going to be pissed or gloating and I'm not going to be in the mood for it.

1 minute ago, bosawks said:

Just take solace in his incompetence.  All of his hate filled plans will require actual, systemic hard work.  Something he is completely incapable of.  And after four years of him chasing his tail and the rust belt getting even rustier because coal isn't king and the mills aren't going to reopen and Mexico is not going to build and pay for that wall we can get down to the business of healing.

Hell, it won't even take that long for the regret.  Grandiose stupidity is understandably frightening but it will burn itself out, I'd be much more frightened if he was intelligent and methodical with a plan.

I can't wait until he realizes how much of the country actually does loathe him and how little the Democrats will play ball.

I'm done just campaigning for the big elections.  I will be out there every cycle from now on!  The evolution of society is not without its hiccups but he won't get anything from me without a fight.

You think you've won, you haven't won, this fight is just getting started!

The problem with this argument is that he's already said he's not going to do the work. Pence is. And Pence is stable,smart, and evil enough to actually get shit done. 

Edited by Pixel
  • Love 8
1 minute ago, aradia22 said:

You mean overestimated, right? I'm joking but I'm weeping on the inside.

You are right. Corrected :) I can't think straight anymore - I am so depressed and I live in a blue state.

• Love 2

The problem with this argument is that he's already said he's not going to do the work. Pence is. And Pence is stable,smart, and evil enough to actually get shit done. 

Exactly.  If he has a VP, Congress, and country full of governors who are willing to do the work to dismantle our society - and who are more ideologically devoted to doing so - what would it matter that he's too ignorant and lazy to do it himself?

• Love 6