Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E07: There IS Crying in Fashion

yeswedo
  • Start Topic

Did MahJing actually say "envisionalize?"  Did Jenni actually say she was going to keep on "sequencing?" I know I heard Corny say volumptuous.

Also, I kind of get what Dexter and Erin were saying about Jenni using Erin's technique from just last week. Don't think they were at all saying Erin has the patent on bedazzling. But it was the exact same shape as the appliques Erin used like week on homely coat, and it's also not exactly been Jenni's lingua franca on the show. Bedazzled appliques HAVE been Erin's "esthetic", however. Having said all of that: Dexter! The lovefest with Erin has to stop. You're both feeding into each other's fantasies that what you're making is perfect, even, when, no.

Noticed that Nathalia said at the "cocktail party" that Cornelius was one of her best friends and they tried out for the show together. Did not she say, on the first show, in fact, that they went to design school together and she was "surprised" to see him there? Don't make me go back and watch; I'm hoping someone remembers.

The fashion: I LOVE Tasha, but after these challenges, I'm questioning how she got on the show, also. Idc about her personal style; if she doesn't sew for herself, it can be hard to find fashion in her size, especially when your resources are so limited. I'm also kind of wondering how MahJing got there, too. Brik, I've already had doubts about, but he actually had a passable dress last night.

I'll probably have more later, but, finally, for now. WTF with that fabric, Corny? Where did you see anything even remotely like that in the club, by which to be inspired? He's one note, too. I'm hoping for Cornelius and Nathalia to be out soon, but since this is first and foremost a reality show, they'll be around til almost the end because they bring the drama.

Edited by PepperMonkey
  • Love 12
10 hours ago, pbutler111 said:

I actually think Nathalia's fabric comb could have worked if she'd made a 1920s look, ala Downtown Abbey.

I liked her first dress much better, the one that Tim didn't.  It had the same basic 20's look as Jenni's but looked richer.  A 20's style dress goes with that fabric, not the more modern sheer-top-over-scanty-underdress that is so prevalent now (which I really dislike). 

I wasn't really impressed with anyone's except Laurence's.  A cocktail dress (meaning short tube dress usually) should be a piece of cake to designers, especially with such a rich inspiration site and unlimited choice of fabric.   Even with only a day, the results should have been better. 

And, what does the title of this thread mean?  Crying in fashion? Huh?

• Love 7

We didn't watch the first part of it, so I can't comment on how anyone was inspired by a cocktail party at the beginning.

However.

I took Home Ec 100 years ago in junior high school.  I got a D on a skirt, and my teacher made it clear that she was only giving me a D because she didn't want to give me a failing mark.  Having said that, Jenni's dress was much worse than my skirt.  The fabric looked like it was on the lining bargain rack at Wal-mart, and it was very poorly sewn.  Laurence's dress was so far and above everything else on the runway last night; if "professional" people (like the 3 stooges/judges) can't recognize that, there is no hope.

I loved Erin's simpering little "This could be Win #3 for me."  The problem is, I'm so flummoxed by what the stooges think is "fashion forward" that I was almost afraid she was right.  I took a little bit of delight when she realized that when they called out the top 3 and bottom 3, she assumed she was at the top again.  Smack down!

• Love 13

Finally had the chance to finish the episode: I don't know how Laurence's could not have won; (Laurence should have won that hands down; I think the only reason she didn't is because it was black? Which flummoxes me because don't fashion people love black?) Seriously, did Jenni's only win because it looked so much like what Erin would make? Erin's comment in the anteroom WAS kind of bitchy, but Jenni's deflection of it made me think she did it intentionally because they like Erin's stuff so much.

Methinks the episode title had to do with MahJing losing his shit over Tasha's aufing. It was sweet. I'm glad they've become friends because it seems like Tasha could use the support. Tim was uber kind to her, too, which gave me an ALMOST warm and SEMI fuzzy towards Tim again, but not quite.

I'm no longer getting Roberri. I hated that print for cocktail. GET that he was trying to do something non-traditional, but I just didn't like it.

HATED Nathalia's. If they had to send Tasha home, which, yes, it was time, they should have sent Nathalia home as well. They should have kept Eeyore last week and had no elimination, then they could have eliminated two this week.

Going to ever so slightly defend Cornelius for saying he loved Erin being in the bottom. I'm kind of glad she was in the bottom, too, because she's becoming insufferable, as I feared. Hope this resets the attitude. She and Dexter were over the top in the workroom: when you do have so many struggling who just got bad critiques, maybe see if there's something you can do to help a bit. As much as I don't care for Jenni, she helped both Tasha and Nathalia. Dex and Erin just stood around and congratulated each other on their fabulosity.

Also, vocal fry, please die soon.

(One final thought: had no idea who the guest judge was, but you know what? She actually had some decent notes. Remember the days when they used to have fashionistas/fashionistos and real designers as guest judges, though? Seems like so long ago now.)

Edited by PepperMonkey
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, PepperMonkey said:

Did not she say, on the first show, in fact, that they went to design school together and she was "surprised" to see him there? Don't make me go back and watch; I'm hoping someone remembers.

There seems to be a lot of this "false setting" on reality shows. I'm rewatching Top Chef Texas and the two guys from Moto seem surprised to see one another there. Like really, two guys from the same restaurant make plans to take a "leave of absence" simultaneously and they don't know? And one is the boss of the other?

• Love 4

Erin did not invent applique sequins, which will always read cheap and tacky to me. I hated it on the pockets of that coat last week (and I hated that coat, too.).

OTOH - Jenni did not invent applique sequins on flapper dresses either, so I don't know why her dress was some kind of big deal. But I admire how generous and sportsmanlike Jenni is with her fabric and advice so I'm rooting for her, hideous laugh and all.

And what the hell is Cornelius' sick fascination with that oversized houndstooth that he bough so much in multiple colors that he could make two awful dresses?

I wanted to get a better look at Dexter's dress. I enjoy his personal style but I think I'm coming to the conclusion that he doesn't know how to dress anyone else.

Erin's feathers ... I liked her dress in theory, and I really like how she placed the feathers to look like angel wings, but the feathers themselves look like they've been pulled unwashed from a forty year old suitcase.

Tasha, Mah-jing - sweeties, I feel for you, both, but your time is come. I'm glad you feel good about your friendship and time on this show.

Nathalia should have gone ahead and made that skater dress because she is on the thinnest of ice.

• Love 11

My DVR cut off right after Tasha was aufed, so I didn't see her goodbyes or the crying.  I'm glad because I'm a hard-hearted person who hates that stuff.  :-)

I was thinking Erin was getting a bitch edit because at first it was just Cornelius saying that Erin kept looking at Jenni's dress, and facial expressions can be spliced in anywhere.  She missed an opportunity to be self-effacing, though, when coming back after judging.  The comment about the judge's thinking Jenni's dress was hers was unnecessary and lost her some goodwill with the other designers.  Especially after Jenni's graciousness in helping Nathalia.

I like this group of designers.  PLEASE SHOW don't try to egg on rivalries and bitchiness.  PLEASE.

• Love 7
12 hours ago, Mumbles said:

There was a moment in today's episode where Erin flashed a bitchface and between the bitchface, and the roots, and the space between her teeth, and the heart-shaped face, I had flashbacks to late-1980s Madonna. (I say that as a fan of both.)

Yeah, I think she resembles 80's vintage Madonna too! Between the bottle blond hair and the gap in her teeth and the air of superciliousness, its a lock.

11 hours ago, Albino said:

It's funny - except for that stupid tie - I thought Heidi looked uncontrived, natural and beautiful. 

I thought she looked like she walked in from her time machine--straight out of the 70's! Powder blue velour? Sweet babby Jesus, even in the 70's that was a big no.

7 hours ago, 7-Zark-7 said:

Tasha deserved to go home, her dress did look so sad. The only thing that could have saved her would have been if Nathalia's cobbled together piece had fallen off her model on the runway, but no dice. Nathalia and her well nourished hatred for Erin will be back to delight us for another week. I know Erin is full of herself, but still, Nathalia and Cornelius need to get over it because hating Erin isn't going to make her any less talented. Maybe they should take a closer look at what's working for her like Jenni did. I know they both worked on that coat together, but the embellishments were Erin's idea. In fact everything the judges liked about the winning team's collection last week (the color, the applique) were Erin's ideas.

Thank you. It drove me crazy that he kept winning with those ice dancer looks, while someone more original like Uli, could never move past runner up.

Uli would walk all over these guys to a win today. I still think she was robbed.

Agree 100% on Nathalia and Cornelius. (It pains me to see all my homies fighting! Girls! You're all pretty!) They need to take a couple of seats. Cornelius' addiction to giant houndstooth bemuses me. So much to choose from at Mood, and he goes back to the same well again and again. Nathalia should have stuck to her guns and her original dress. She's too easily swayed. Which is why she's jumping on the Mean Girls train with her buddy Cornelius. Dude is not bitchy-funny, he's just bitchy and mean-spirited. In his talking heads you can see that he thinks he is just the business. But if you're going to be the Queen of Shade, it works better if you are witty. Not just snotty. The judges love Erin. So don't hate on Erin for it.

Jenni is turning into the judges' darling, and I think she's talented. She could go all the way. She also appears to be kind. Which I appreciate since we are apparently descending into middle school bitchery.

2 hours ago, Lesia said:

That guest judge was the model in the "Blurred Lines" video from a few years ago.  She really didn't contribute anything coherent or insightful last night.

Hey, she did say "I would totally wear that"! Isn't that what's passing for insightful judging nowadays?

• Love 1

No love for Rick's leather dress?  I loved the color (yeah, I like orange) and the fit, though I agree that the zipper was overwrought. Laurence's dress was her usual beautiful work, but yeah, the all black style kind of brought it down a little for me.  

Re Tasha--This is one of those cases where the designer would have better ignoring Tim's advice and just showing their original design.  He was right, it wasn't a cocktail dress, but it had more imagination and work put into it than the sad garment that she sent down the runway.

I thought all through the episode that the editing monkeys were setting Erin up for a fall.  Both she and Dexter should know from watching earlier seasons of the show that feathers and fringe are very dicey when it comes to the judging.

• Love 9
5 minutes ago, Pepper Mostly said:

Hey, she did say "I would totally wear that"! Isn't that what's passing for insightful judging nowadays?

well if she was the gal in the video maybe she just wanted to put *anything* on so she's not naked anymore :)

• Love 3

Well that was gawd awful! I swear it took me five minutes to pick my jaw off the floor when they gave the win to Jennie's over embellished flapper dress. Did the judges not see the uneven hem? Maybe they were all hung over from drinking too much vodka. Laurence was robbed, she had the only dress I really liked. 

Rule # 1 of Project Runway: Anytime there's an objectively amazing and superior dress (Laurence's)  in the final three, and also a dress that's okay, but somehow stirs up some manufactured drama (Jenni's and the whole overblown "Erin's jealous" crap), the okay dress with the manufactured drama is the one that's going to win.

Hubby and I both called this one, 'cause we were both blown away by Laurence's beautiful design, but with the ridiculous amount of time the show was pushing this "Erin vs. Jenni" nonsense, we both called Jenni as the winner immediately after the final three were announced.

• Love 5

Anyone else notice that Jenni was also full of herself when she stated "and I've been sewing with these nails" and then went on to state how fabulous that made her.  I think that Laurence did not get the win as the judges realize she has real talent and want to spread the wins around a bit.  I agreed with Tim's critiques-it's up to the designers whether or not they want to follow his advice, and it's also up to them how they redesign if they do so.  Tasha laid a bit of shade at Tim which she stated her first design was better.  Tim didn't tell her to create a non-design in the first design's place.  I really think the judges kept her this long as they liked the 'idea' of her as a 'street designer' just like I think they have kept other designers in the past for what they represented rather than what they designed.  Even to the point of giving Ashley the win last year.  However, Tasha really never even gave them anything to ohh and ahh over so they finally had to cut her.

• Love 5

I think Tasha's original direction *might* have worked with a design that did not look like "garden party." With that print, she would have to do something edgy. She would have been much better off.

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, dleighg said:

Brik: "It has a little bit of a retro, future vibe."

Ya think? It looked straight out of the Jetsons. 

Brik is my new Bradley (the self-described "squid without an ocean" from season 3.)

My favorite Brik quote of the night - which was almost groan-worthy, but somehow not - was when he was describing Cornelius' dress coming down the runway "It's fringe... with benefits."

2 hours ago, rocketinu said:

Best line of the night and most nights - Tim referring to Dexter and saying "Grace Jones is not listening".

That was great. Sometimes Tim cracks me up. (I still giggle sometimes thinking of his "woolly balls" conversation and his "big, fat ass" advice)

Okay now I'm going to duck in case of potential rotten tomatoes coming my way...

I agree  Laurence's dress was probably the best and I liked the shoulders, but I didn't much like the bustline. As someone who once was fairly unendowed, but now at least has a passable bustline, I would not want a dress where the design cuts across my chest across the middle. For me, the top part of Laurence's dress should have either ended just above the model's breasts or gone below the breasts a few inches so as not to break up the natural curves of the model. When the dress came down the runway that was the first thing I thought of when I saw the dress: that the design cut across the model's chest in an unflattering way. For me, those lines detracted from the great shoulders and the texture of the top part of the dress.

• Love 8

I loved the leather apron dress. I thought it was adorable. That and the black "couch" dress were my favorite.

Jenni's dress must have walked better in person than on TV because it looked really saggy and shapeless to me.

Hated Erin's dress. They kept focusing on the feathers, which were awful, but I also thought the skirt part was way too short and tight, combined with the slit up the side looked cheap.

• Love 6

Adding my voice to the Laurence was robbed train.  That dress was gorgeous.   I liked Rik's way more than Jenni's too.  Heck, I like Erin's bronze big bird dress more than Jenni's.  The color must not have translated well because it seemed like the fabric was a muddy brown to me.

Edited by TexasGal
  • Love 4

The judging this week befuddled me. I didn't get the hate directed toward Erin's outfit. It was well made, fit in with the design of the lounge, and fit the model like a glove. Yes, the feathers were over the top, but it should have been in the middle not the object of scorn and ridicule. I was stunned that Jenni's dress one. The only thing I can figure is that the judges like Erin's usual work so much that they were subconsciously willing to reward a half-arsed copy of it. The dress wasn't made well. Those appliques weren't applied with much thought. It was "meh" all around. Jenni hasn't really performed to any level of quality yet in this season. I'd have given the win to either Laurence for her black dress with the quilted shoulders or to Rik for that leather dress based on the aprons. Both are show stoppers. The race for the bottom was tight this week. Tasha's problem was so much that she did a plain little dress, it was that she was faced with a major problem and didn't rise to it.

• Love 6

Haven’t commented on a PR season in a while but I just have to say a few things:

1.       Major pet peeve:  Designers (like the first guy eliminated, Tasha and Mah-Jing) saying they are really struggling and don’t how to make something because this isn’t what they “do”.  That excuse should be a complete non-starter now.  Have any of them even watched this show?  How can anyone credibly think to compete on PR without expecting a few things like evening wear, active/street wear, men’s wear, real woman challenge, non-conventional materials, etc, etc, etc coming up?  Why do these designers not come prepared to do quite a lot outside their wheelhouse and at least study how these things are made and maybe practice a bit?  This is a BIG pet peeve of mine.  The people who do best on PR are not just the best designers but the most flexible and versatile.  If you only know how to do one thing, this is not the competition for you.

2.       I wondered if Jenni’s look made it to the top 3 because the judges thought it belonged to Erin, they were rating the designer rather than the design.  Then it won (totally disagree with that) so I don’t know.  Was glad to see Erin taken down a peg, her success seems to have gone to her head a bit so she needs to get over thinking that everything she creates will be loved (personally I’ve hated most of her stuff, but can see why the judges like it).

3.       I actually kind of liked Bric’s dress, seemed a bit old Hollywood to me, though maybe not for a cocktail dress.  Same with Roberi, I really liked it and thought it was a cute dress, but the fabric made it look too casual for a cocktail party. 

4.       I loved the fabric Natalia chose, but hated her dress.  Can’t disagree with it being in the bottom three, it looked terrible.  But do agree with Zac and the guest judge in that I liked the general idea behind it.  Natalia’s problem, in my opinion, is that she was too stuck on one idea of how to use that fabric (overlay).  She might have been better served if she considered other options and used it as more of an accent (collar, sleeves, embellishment, etc).  She might have been accused of copying Eric if she used it as an embellishment (total BS) but if that’s what they judges are liking, aka what’s trending, it’s legit to do it.

5.       Erin does not own appliqué any more than Laurance owns leather jackets.  Just because Erin does it on every one of her designs and is in danger of being a one-trick pony with it, doesn’t mean she’s the only one who can do it.

• Love 4

Ditto with everything that has been posted.

Tasha your time been up gurl glad you got 5K but time to go.  Mah-Jing you could be next.

Laurence, that was a travesty that they robbed you of a well-deserved win.  The people have spoken my beautiful Grace Jones we will pull up to the bumper baby and let them know BLACK-COCKTAIL-DRESSES-MATTER!

• Love 3
14 hours ago, Mumbles said:

There was a moment in today's episode where Erin flashed a bitchface and between the bitchface, and the roots, and the space between her teeth, and the heart-shaped face, I had flashbacks to late-1980s Madonna. (I say that as a fan of both.) Plus her quick comment in the backroom when everyone was complimenting Jenni that, "they thought her dress was mine," *was* pretty bitchy. As was Cornelius delighting in Erin being in the bottom.

I thought the orange apron dress reminded me of Home Depot, but then I realized none of these judges have probably ever been in one.

LOL@ bold. 

Erin just repeated what the judges said; I did not see that as bitchy.  The designers ,who are declared safe, miss all the action and always want to hear what happened.  It was a notable comment!  I agree that Cornelius was nasty showing his glee that she was in the bottom two.  He was the bitch. 

5 hours ago, Lizzing said:

I was kinda annoyed with a Zac's criticism of Laurence that she doesn't talk a lot on the runway and lets the garment speak for itself. 

I saw it as he wanted to know more about her because she is intriguing and a good designer.  He was impressed with her reserve ultimately.

5 hours ago, PaulaO said:

Nine times out of ten designers come up with what I would call cocktail dresses--short, pretty, sleeveless-but they can't figure anything out for an actual cocktail dress challenge?

That had me stumped too!  It had to be one of the easiest challenges, ever.  They got sidetracked using that venue as inspiration and it derailed them.  Create a cocktail dress and make up the story.  

15 hours ago, LadyNebula said:

Erin's look was serving us some serious Rum Tum Tugger realness.

I had to google this.   HA!

latest?cb=20100530013520

• Love 12
1 hour ago, AwesomO4000 said:

I agree  Laurence's dress was probably the best and I liked the shoulders, but I didn't much like the bustline. As someone who once was fairly unendowed, but now at least has a passable bustline, I would not want a dress where the design cuts across my chest across the middle. For me, the top part of Laurence's dress should have either ended just above the model's breasts or gone below the breasts a few inches so as not to break up the natural curves of the model. When the dress came down the runway that was the first thing I thought of when I saw the dress: that the design cut across the model's chest in an unflattering way. For me, those lines detracted from the great shoulders and the texture of the top part of the dress.

I do agree it wasn't flattering to the bust. It made her boobs look kind of saggy. She still should have won, but it did make her boobs look a little sagged. 

I loved Rik's dress. It was so different and interesting. I agree with Zach (and everyone here) on the zipper, though. Exposed zippers just scream to me "I don't know how to hide this."  BUT I do wonder if that since it was such a short turn around time challenge he had to leave the zipper exposed because he didn't have time to sew it in properly. 

• Love 2

I'm actually on board with the exposed zipper in Rik's piece. I'm not sure why, but I felt it worked with the quirky concept of the dress. He and Laurence to me were so far above everyone else's work last night, that I thought none of the others should even have been considered safe. They should all have had to stand there by their models in those sad sacks and explain themselves to Zac's raised eyebrows for three hours.

Having said that, Dexter really can work a snood.

Edited by 7-Zark-7
  • Love 14
5 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

Zac made a hysterical "OMG WTF" face during the runway, but I can't remember what dress they cut to.  I think maybe it was Erin's.  Anyhoo, I loved the look on his face.

I think it was Erin's, too.  Commented to Mr. AZC that it looked like if Zac had anything to say about it, Erin's "could this be my third first place?" comment was NOT going to come true.

And thanks to whoever posted the Rum Tum Tugger photo.  Erin's dress was ABSOLUTELY like this.

• Love 3

When Explanatory Talking Heads Fail: “a cocktail dress is a dress that… you can go out to a nice party, and have a couple of drinks, and sit there and look beautiful.” Wait, run that by me one more time, Cornelius; I’m not sure I can understand such advanced fashion theory!

Correct me if I’m wrong, but not only did Cornelius use the same fabric as a previous challenge, but before Tim’s walkthrough he also had a very similar construction (I think of it as triangular colorblocking) on his dress form. Come on man. Don’t make the same dress for two challenges.

SHENANIGANS. That’s all I can say about the judges. SHE. NA. NI. GANS.

OK wait I can say a little more:

I need to know what Posen means by “represents the space” because I heard him say it at least twice tonight, and it is a fundamentally meaningless phrase.

Heidi, I will accept EITHER a powder blue velvet suit OR a Colonel Sanders-esque black ribbon tie, but NOT BOTH.

And the “obvious front-runner gets put in the bottom three so we can pretend her spot in the final three isn’t already a foregone conclusion” story beat happens right on schedule. Really guys? REALLY? A decently-constructed (if over the top) dress is as bad as those shoddy sad-trombone messes? I mean don't get me wrong, I love Tasha and I wish she'd stayed, but yikes! 

Ditto to everyone not understanding why Jenni’s dress won. Those sequins did a poor job of concealing darts (the charitable interpretation) and/or wrinkles and puckered seams (the uncharitable interpretation) and on the whole it was just... lackluster. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, wings707 said:

Erin just repeated what the judges said; I did not see that as bitchy.  The designers ,who are declared safe, miss all the action and always want to hear what happened.  It was a notable comment!  I agree that Cornelius was nasty showing his glee that she was in the bottom two.  He was the bitch. 

Yeah, I am totally not seeing the vitriol aimed at Erin because she repeated the words of the judges. The rest of the designers ask what happens during the critique. But, hey, successful young woman. She must be a horrible human being, even if her words have to be twisted to make it so. 

Cornelius is a piece of work, though. I cannot wait to see his sorry ass gone. He's everything I hated about Soriano with none of the talent. 

• Love 12
9 minutes ago, azshadowwalker said:

Cornelius is a piece of work, though. I cannot wait to see his sorry ass gone. He's everything I hated about Soriano with none of the talent. 

I'd like to add a couple of words to that.  "Cornelius is a nasty piece of work.  The sooner his sorry ass is gone, the better." 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Lesia said:

That guest judge was the model in the "Blurred Lines" video from a few years ago.  She really didn't contribute anything coherent or insightful last night.

Miss Emily Duck Lips wasn't a good choice for a judge because she's known to wear as little as possible whenever she's in public.  Even our own Tim Gunn criticized her as dressing vulgar.  But for some reason, this show likes to bring in marginally talented starlets who will become unknown in a few years.  

I have no idea why the judges gushed over the apron dress, as to me it looked like a burnt pumpkin. And it definitely wasn't cocktail.  And what was with Heidi criticizing Jenni and her supposedly copying Erin's technique.  How many times have we seen looks that have been copied from other designers.  I really didn't like Jenni's dress as I thought it was shabby, and I thought Laurence got hosed, but  designers copy technique all the time.  

• Love 3

A few comments about fabric choices and how that may have affected the judging results (not that I necessarily agree with the results)

1. What was Jenni's choice?  I have a feeling it was a very fine silk something that in itself was a beautiful fabric but perhaps didn't have the weight to carry all that applique.  If it was super-expensive silk, that may have swayed the judges (supposition). Ditto the appliqued sequins (oh, and I think it's "sequincing", not "sequencing" lol)

2.  So Nathalia spent $125 of 1/2 yard of "chandelier" -- what did she spend the remaining $175 on? ESPECIALLY when she was given the lining fabric by Jenni

3.  Cornelius -- just no, no way on the houndtooth ESPECIALLY in limegreen -- and I don't think he needed to turn the black/white inside out: just losing the green would have been enough.  Also, he seems to keep making fitted dress 101 from Vogue How to Fit pattern -- I see absolutely no innovation in design with him. 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I really liked Laurence's dress as it was sleek, had interest about the waist where people in conversation would notice it.  I also LOVED the fact it covered her model down to the knees!  But I'm so tired of the No Back in dresses:  No wonder the model's boobs looked saggy: yet again, she couldn't wear a bra, sigh.

And I really liked Roberi's and wished we'd been able to see more of it.  I thought that choice of fabric really worked for the challenge.  I wouldn't wear it (horizontal bright stripes, hmmmm) But his model looked great.

Oh, and Rik, I think your inspiration on aprons came from the two cute guys in the bar wearing them, not the actual aprons, hahahahahaha.  But the look worked for me EXCEPT yet again, we have a stupid open back which needed jury rigging with grosgrain ribbon, sigh.

I've stopped really watching the entire show:  I tune in for the beginning description of the challenge, and then the end for the runway and critique.  That way I get an hour to do something useful, like washing the dishes....

• Love 4
5 hours ago, PepperMonkey said:

Finally had the chance to finish the episode: I don't know how Laurence's could not have won; (Laurence should have won that hands down; I think the only reason she didn't is because it was black? Which flummoxes me because don't fashion people love black?) Seriously, did Jenni's only win because it looked so much like what Erin would make? Erin's comment in the anteroom WAS kind of bitchy, but Jenni's deflection of it made me think she did it intentionally because they like Erin's stuff so much.

2 hours ago, Absurda said:

2.       I wondered if Jenni’s look made it to the top 3 because the judges thought it belonged to Erin, they were rating the designer rather than the design.  Then it won (totally disagree with that) so I don’t know.  Was glad to see Erin taken down a peg, her success seems to have gone to her head a bit so she needs to get over thinking that everything she creates will be loved (personally I’ve hated most of her stuff, but can see why the judges like it).

I totally think they awarded higher scores to a dress because they thought they'd figured out who made it, but I don't fault them too much because I think that's more...to me it's just how people are, more than any kind of conscious manipulation.

Overall it was a pretty weak episode.  Watching previous seasons cocktail dresses seem kind of like a standard thing, so I was surprised at how uninteresting most of the designs were.  What are these contestants strong at executing?  And while I agree about the impact of one-day challenges that's been the way show operates for most of its life at this point.  So, shouldn't they be more prepared coming into it?  It's not as bad as last season yet, but it's pretty boring thus far, imho.

I join the chorus of love for Laurence's dress...as it came down the runway all I could think is that is exactly what I need in my life...and I rarely think that about PR efforts. Just flawlessly done...it was the perfect length, it hugged the body without being vulgar, it had movement at the legs...and the sleeves were wonderfully done. Perfect. 

But I am surprised that no one else loved Roberti's look. The dress was also well-fitted and I loved his choice of print. It was a clear break from black, and it was a standout, at least to me. If I can't have Laurence's dress, because of overwhelming demand, I would still be happy in Roberti's.

Natalia lacks both sewing skills and taste...and that's a deadly combo. And Jenni's dress was badly made..the hem was uneven, crucial in a shift dress, and the underlying fabric looked cheap. The concept was ok, but the execution would need Laurence's skill and sense of proportion to really pull it off. That said, it was a little theatrical for Laurence, I suspect.

• Love 9
6 hours ago, backgroundnoise said:

I liked her first dress much better, the one that Tim didn't.  It had the same basic 20's look as Jenni's but looked richer.  A 20's style dress goes with that fabric, not the more modern sheer-top-over-scanty-underdress that is so prevalent now (which I really dislike). 

I wasn't really impressed with anyone's except Laurence's.  A cocktail dress (meaning short tube dress usually) should be a piece of cake to designers, especially with such a rich inspiration site and unlimited choice of fabric.   Even with only a day, the results should have been better. 

And, what does the title of this thread mean?  Crying in fashion? Huh?

When I see Laurence's clothes come down the runway I get the same feeling I had when Christian Siriano's clothes would come down the runway during his season.  Her clothes make the other designers look like rank amateurs by comparison.

• Love 12

"They thought Jenni's was mine", was not the most tactful thing Erin could have said, but it was honest and she was baited. First Mah-Jing says to Jenni "It was something totally different from what you normally had done here and I'm very proud of you" and then Nathalia quickly chimes in with "And it was very Jenni", which not only contradicts what Mah-Jing just said, but also what the judges said to the six of them while they were standing on stage. I can see why Erin felt the need to stop Nathalia's spin, but still, the designers saw the similarities, and most importantly the judges saw them, so there was no need for her to mention it. She looked like she was undercutting Jenni's win, and if Laurence could hold back from doing that after suffering that brazen robbery, then Erin should. 

• Love 6

Cornelius and Nathalia just showed how immature they really are.  Cornelius’ glee in Erin being in the bottom showed how much of a jealous spiteful person he is.   Nathalia also had a spiteful nastiness vibe that was disgusting to watch.  I don’t know how much of it was the “victim” of editing but her smirk during Erin’s critique was uncalled for and do you really want to show that side of you to the judges?

They are clearly jealous.  Erin has made such an impression on the judges that the fact that they can immediately recognize her style of work and are even projecting that on to others work is a strong compliment.  She is clearly on their radar and you boo boo are not.  The bratty duo are just salty because the only time the judges have deigned to speak to them is when they are in the bottom and have to defend their horrendous creations. 

Nathalia should be sent home because of her dreadful personal shoe choices. I never want to see her from the ankle down again EVER.

• Love 8

I was watching this on the DVR and watched Million Dollar Listing Los Angeles right afterward.  I'd thought the lace top Erin was wearing in the work room was probably her own design, but then I saw Heather on MDLLA wearing the same top.  Anyone know who makes it?

By the way, what was up with Tim telling them to "take advantage of the Brother sewing room"?  Isn't that where the sewing machines are kept?  What the hell else are they supposed to do?

Heather-erin.jpg

• Love 2
1 minute ago, pbutler111 said:

By the way, what was up with Tim telling them to "take advantage of the Brother sewing room"?  Isn't that where the sewing machines are kept?  What the hell else are they supposed to do?

I had exactly the same thought. Probably just to fulfill the sponsorship mention quota. But it's ridiculous. I guess the alternative is to force the contestants to say stupid stuff like "these Brother sewing machines are amazing!"

• Love 11
2 hours ago, alannaofdoom said:

I need to know what Posen means by “represents the space” because I heard him say it at least twice tonight, and it is a fundamentally meaningless phrase.

I believe Zach was referring to the bar they had the cocktail party in (the space), which they were supposed to use as inspiration for the cocktail dresses.

Edited by izabella
  • Love 5

WOW. I was really brassed off last night, wasn't I? Anyway, now that I've had time to calm down and think some more (rationally, I hope), I've a few more observations. I'm glad I'm not alone in the "we got had, Laurence was robbed" category. I see now that they are really pushing the Erin vs. Jenni thing and the Jenni comeback. The editing alone when they were going down the line with critiques and skipped Jenni to go to Erin was foreshadowing. There is something off about Erin I can't put my finger on. I'm not sure if it is that she styles like Jackie O in the late 60's or if she just has personality quirk, but I did get a whiff of smug from her before the runway. I did like Brik's dress in that at least it was different and seemed well made/fitted. Also, I must once again bring up that everyone seemed to confuse LUXURIOUS COCKTAIL with unconventional or avant garde. Wrong challenge, have you never watched this show? I mean, I get vision, but some of those fabrics were damn tacky. Dexter's looked better with the smaller fringe neckline, his first look. And was it Cornelia who had that deja vu black and white? Terrible. Also, he needs to have a seat with the snark. He isn't as good as he thinks he is, and I bet if he spent more time working and less kvetching he'd have half a chance. Maybe. Nathalia had really nice fabric, the only one (to me) to fit the definition, and she ruined it with that tacky lining and cheesy two piece. Another one who can't think on her feet. Mah-Jing well.............passed again. Barely. There's a few people here whose report cards overall aren't great and are skating by for only so long. Like Tasha. Loved her but there was NO way she was staying over Erin. None. Roberi seems like a lurker to me, like he'll make a sudden charge to the top in the next few episodes. Did I miss squashing anyone? I just realized I haven't even read the recap for this week, just went straight to the comments. I did not see a preview for next week, does anyone know what is coming up? And lastly, I am glad that Sammy or whoever wasn't at the end of the show, I find her obnoxious. Whew. Guess I wasn't done after all....................................

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, sourpickles said:

Dexter's looked better with the smaller fringe neckline, his first look.

I agree. What he sent down the runway was just plain weird. A narrow necklace fringe is "different"; going the whole 9 yards starts to make me think of a Duck Dynasty beard.

• Love 3
18 hours ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

"Grace Jones is ignoring me!" Truly laughed out loud!

I think Mah Jing may have come here to make friends.

Haha, that was the line of the night!

Heidi:  She made that for $300, it looks like a $2,000 dress.  Me:  If you say so Heidi, I have never in my life worn a $2,000 dress or seen one up close.

I like Tasha just fine, but she really deserved to go.  In fact, I really wonder how she ever made it onto the show in the first place.  Do they really have such a talentless pool of applicants?  I thought her first outfit was atrocious and Tim's advice was spot on.  He couldn't have known that her second attempt would be even worse.

My favorite part of the runway was Laurence's genuine smile when Jenni won.  She doesn't have a jealous, mean or spiteful bone in her body.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, dleighg said:

I had exactly the same thought. Probably just to fulfill the sponsorship mention quota. But it's ridiculous. I guess the alternative is to force the contestants to say stupid stuff like "these Brother sewing machines are amazing!"

Reminds me of the time -- I think last season? -- they showed the designers all in the break room, eating and going on at length about the virtues of the Samsung refrigerator.  SO natural!

• Love 4