Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E06: There's No “I” in “Team”

• Start Topic

I normally am very bored by the formulaic hair and makeup segment (no diss on the artists but the whole "I want her to look like this!"  "We'll use this product!" is just so...repetitive), but it was funny when Cornelius and Nathalia said they wanted to highlight the natural texture "but slicked back on the sides" and the hair artist had to clarify WTH they meant and then gently guided them into just the first part of their request.  

I don't think I'll be interested in the new show...to me this seems a little like Top Chef when they have Restaurant Wars and the person who steps up as leader (or leader-ish role) almost always goes home.  I think it was the right decision for Alex to go, especially with his contribution of Duct Tape Dress, but I could see that happening regularly on a show with that setup.  

I was getting into watching Alex, who swore he'd be cutthroat, be so nice and mentor-ly most of the time.

Interesting that he mispronounced Mah-Jing's name a couple of episodes after he mixed up Tasha's and Simone's.  He may just be terrible with names, but if so, it was underhanded of the show to only share the times he messed up names of people of color.  

Definitely think Cornelius' "what's-his-name" was more of an intentional diss though.

• Love 3

Why are tacky sequined pieces scattered on a garment now considered high fashion on this show?  If that's on trend, then my mother's senior center will be holding fashion week soon. QVC reference, it's Quacker Factory!!!

Alex was always too insufferable in his talking heads, but he did have a classy exit. Too bad Nathalie is still there, that top looked like road kill. 

Those handmade sequined embellishments (or whatever Erin uses) that are apparently so fashion forward just look like someone bedazzles her clothes. I don't get it!

• Love 14

I am wondering what Dexter's feature in Marie Claire will have for fashion from this week's design?  I cannot remember which piece he did, I remember Dexter and the team acknowledging he jumped in and helped everyone with focus of team vision and assisted with sewing, etc.  I truly do not mean this to sound negative at all, I just cannot truly remember if he was the solo designer for a specific piece - can anyone help my memory?  Thanks in advance.

I must say if PR wants to continue with focusing on drama, I prefer the drama when the unified teams would not bash any of their design colleagues.  It sure beats the mean spirit of Gretchen or Ivy once again attacking Michael Costello.  Last night's dramatic runway auff'ing was easier for me to take than the backstabbing drama we usually have to endure.  I hope the designers (esp. Cornelius), feel the effects of building one another up and the spirit continues for the rest of the season.  I would like the show's focus to return to fashion and creation, not hate and destruction.  There's too much of that in the news these days - I watch shows to get away from that!

Edited by Maccagirl
Mispelling!
  • Love 15
10 minutes ago, Shannon L. said:

I had to jump out of lurking to ask if anyone else who grew up in the 80s thought that Alex's dress (although in a different color) would have fit right in with any movie club scene or music video?

Yes, I can definitely vision that - but cannot think of one specific movie or scene.  I was late teens/early twenties in the 80's and had a BLAST, so the memory-specifics from that period may have been eradicated! 

• Love 2

Ugh that beading or whatever it was looked messy and tacky to me. It "saved" the collection? I did not like the coat but no way the other team was gonna win with the cheap-looking nightlife clothing.

• Love 4
  20 minutes ago, Shannon L. said:

I had to jump out of lurking to ask if anyone else who grew up in the 80s thought that Alex's dress (although in a different color) would have fit right in with any movie club scene or music video?

Yes, I can definitely vision that - but cannot think of one specific movie or scene.  I was late teens/early twenties in the 80's and had a BLAST, so the memory-specifics from that period may have been eradicated! 

YAAAAS! I think that's the beauty of @Shannon L.'s observation - you could pop that dress into pretty much any 80s movie club scene, and it would fit right in. I really don't think you'd even need to change the color.

• Love 3

I was sorry to see Alex go but glad that he went out in a respectful and classy way. Way to step up and accept responsibility very adult for a reality show – shocking.  I can even forgive the issue he has with names. A poster above mentioned that Alex sharing his Tim Gunn story before leaving may have been a last ditch attempt to get the TG save. Although it could have been I didn’t see it as that. I saw it as Alex feeling this may be the last time I get to speak to Tim and him wanting to share with him the impact his initial meeting has had on his life.  I got the impression it came from a genuine place.   I also think we will see Alex again on an All-Star season. I think his classy exit left a good impression on Tim and the Judges so I can see them inviting him back.

Glad to see Cornelius get the smackdown he deserved.  He continues to irk me beyond everything and the “what’s-his-name” comment was all sorts of wrong and rude.  He may not be your suite mate but you spend almost 24 hours with these people, learn a name.  As someone who has a distinct name myself I have a pet peeve about its pronunciation and remembrance.  Mah-Jing’s name is clearly of Asian influence and his appearance is of  a black man (he is biracial) that is enough of an oddity that you would naturally remember it. 

It just struck me as an intentional diss and we all know how he likes to throw shade. I was glad that one of the only pieces the judges liked was Mah-Jing’s vest.  Cornelius, not being shady (HA!) but your tears brought joy to my cold dark heart.

• Love 14
12 hours ago, kat165 said:

Buttersister, I agree. Her makeup was very unflattering. I get that it was to go with the dress, but those are so not Heidi's colors nor was that her print. But I did like seeing her in something long and less revealing. It just was a bad print on her. And poor makeup job.

I didn't even notice her outfit because I was so absorbed staring at her makeup.  She looked bizarrely shiny and plastic, like they replaced Heidi with an android version of herself. 

10 hours ago, roguery said:

I'm gobsmacked that the formless yellow coat with the "mauve" accents and wacky/hideous pocket appliqués was considered stylish! In what color wheel on earth would those colors be considered complementary??????? It truly was the Emperor's New Coat. Am sorry to see Alex go and think he was quite dignified and thoughtful and much kinder than he initially (start of the season) appeared to be. However, his elder-statesman posturing—at the ripe old age of 30—amuses me.

I was surprised when  I saw he was 30.  Sheesh!  From the way he talked about his experience, I expected him to be at least 50.  One of the other designers mentioned Alex had been in fashion for sooooo looooong.  Did he start in the womb?  Was he designing diapers while he was wearing them? 

Thanks to everyone for pointing out that wasn't mauve.  I have a bit of a problem with my color vision, so I thought it was just me.  I'm glad I didn't try adjusting the color on the TV.  What kind of washed out drab pinkish hue was that and why does pricey material exist in it?

I hated the yellow coat.  It was way oversized and the sleeves were really odd.  The embellishments reminded me of a jacket I saw years ago at Macy's.  I was shopping with a friend.  We were in the women's business clothing section when we found a bright white blazer with these huge sequin appliques shaped like wrist watches tacked onto it.  I, of course, tried it on to fully appreciate the lunacy of thinking someone would wear this monstrosity  to the office.  I was laughing so hard I couldn't get it off.  The sales person came over and suggested we leave.    I stop laughing long enough to get out of the jacket and hand it to her.  When we looked back, we saw her almost lovingly petting it to smooth out the sequins.  Yep, that's business wear.  I need some tacky sequin appliques and a silver strapless dress and I'm ready to go. 

• Love 9
39 minutes ago, NYCNJbear06 said:

[Mah-Jing] may not be your suite mate but you spend almost 24 hours with these people, learn a name.  As someone who has a distinct name myself I have a pet peeve about its pronunciation and remembrance.  

Amen to this! It's two syllables, folks. It's not complicated. I guarantee you've ordered takeout from restaurants with names that are harder to pronounce. 

The orgy of tearful self-sacrifice from the losing team was over-the-top, but I definitely prefer that to sniping at each other or ganging up on someone. I also liked that members of the winning team didn't name themselves as The Winner. I'm sure it's easier to do that when you've already got that five grand coming to each of you. But it was still impressive. Despite some shady leanings from a few designers, this is a really friendly group overall - a nice change! 

• Love 8
9 hours ago, GaT said:

What bullshit that was making Team Unity stand up there & turn on each other. I hate that kind of crap.

I hate it too, and so unnecessary. We're all sophisticated reality teevee viewers now, so we know a ham fisted attempt to stir up some drama when we see one. Just step away and judge the challenge on its merits. Sheesh.

3 hours ago, Darian said:

One small moment that captured what I like about Dexter. As Dexter approaches the Mary Kay guy, we hear a talking head of him saying he has a background in make-up, but instead of the usual reality show "I know all about this so do it this way," he says he is soaking up like a sponge what the make-up artist was saying. He got his ideas across, used his aesthetic for his look, but he was open to learn as well. I love when judges or mentors on competition reality shows get interested in what s chef or designer is doing and say they learned from them. Some of the smartest, most successful people I've ever observed or  worked with are Dexters. They know their stuff and will share their expertise, but will learn from others. I loved working with them (and tried to be that way) and am so happy Dexter got to shine in this episode. 

I loved that too. Dexter is probably my new favorite now. I love how smart he is, and how observant. I loved his interaction with the makeup artist and he's great in the styling segments (which I really like, I know they're not popular but I'm always interested to see what colors/styles the designers choose!). I would love to hang out with him, he seems so thoughtful but fun and entertaining to be around.

34 minutes ago, NYCNJbear06 said:

I was sorry to see Alex go but glad that he went out in a respectful and classy way. Way to step up and accept responsibility very adult for a reality show – shocking.  I can even forgive the issue he has with names. A poster above mentioned that Alex sharing his Tim Gunn story before leaving may have been a last ditch attempt to get the TG save. Although it could have been I didn’t see it as that. I saw it as Alex feeling this may be the last time I get to speak to Tim and him wanting to share with him the impact his initial meeting has had on his life.  I got the impression it came from a genuine place.   I also think we will see Alex again on an All-Star season. I think his classy exit left a good impression on Tim and the Judges so I can see them inviting him back.

Glad to see Cornelius get the smackdown he deserved.  He continues to irk me beyond everything and the “what’s-his-name” comment was all sorts of wrong and rude.  He may not be your suite mate but you spend almost 24 hours with these people, learn a name.  As someone who has a distinct name myself I have a pet peeve about its pronunciation and remembrance.  Mah-Jing’s name is clearly of Asian influence and his appearance is of  a black man (he is biracial) that is enough of an oddity that you would naturally remember it. 

It just struck me as an intentional diss and we all know how he likes to throw shade. I was glad that one of the only pieces the judges liked was Mah-Jing’s vest.  Cornelius, not being shady (HA!) but your tears brought joy to my cold dark heart.

Cornelius is a little bitch. Honey, you are not cute. As far as I'm concerned, you can be as snarky and cutting as you want to be, IF you are funny. Cornelius is just mean and snarks on others to deflect any negative attention from himself.

And calling Mah-Jing "Whatsisname" is just passive aggressive. Anyone who can't be bothered to learn a person's name or pronounce it correctly is just lazy, thoughtless or both. (I have a common, easy to pronounce name, so its not a personal gripe, but god it annoys me!)

Alex was a gentleman to the end. good for him, I guess. I thought he would make it to the end but I think he really felt the time constraints. Lots of very good designers have been sunk on this show for that reason! I suspected he'd be gone when they featured him in the opening sequence. When he said he'd already spent the $5000, I knew he was gone. The editors need to up their game.

The sparkly denim Team Unity used reminded me of the material Jay used in season one for the uniform pants in the postal service challenge.

• Love 5

Cornelius continues to slide down my sliding scale of disgust by calling Mah-Jing whatshisname. I GET that some of us are having issues with names because there are so many of these damn designers left, but these guys are in the foxhole, if you will, and that was just sheer dismissiveness for the sake of being an asshole.

His little friend Nathalia (?) is not much better, for all of her talking about trying to stay away from him and his negativity, she sure does continue to enable him and feed into his fantasies of how awesome he is.

I DID think, though, that they were pretty good at the teamwork. Just keep wishing one of them would say they're NOT going to say who they think should go home because they are not the judges, but the designers. Of course, in PR Land, that might get them sent home for not ratting out someone else, but I'd be fine with that, 'twere it me on the runway.

Glad Dexter got the win and not Erin or Laurence. I agree with whomever said - thousands of you, I think, now that I ruminate on it - that colour was NOT mauve but Crayola Flesh from the 60s. Brik, Tasha and Jenni should all have been gone before Alex, but Alex was never going to make it to the final so I'm ok with him leaving. The elder statesman thing was driving me crazy as well, once I realized "he's thirty." Actually thought he was mid 40s to early 50s, so...

I like Erin fine; her "leaded" which, yes *cringe*, was probably just a "mis-speak." Hoping she doesn't think that's an actual word, but who knows. I had a bright yellow coat almost like that in the 80s, but without the butt coloured accents and without the sequin appliques. I don't see why it was fresh and fashion foward. Similarly, with Laurence, it was a nice leather jacket, but was there something special about the "design" that I am missing? I had that leather jacket in several colours over the years, and currently own a chocolate brown one cut almost exactly like it. I guess it looked okay with the yellow skirt, but I think Erin was the one responsible for the colour, so I didn't think Laurence did anything earth-shattering. Saw her helping Tasha a few times which was nice; she seems to have a fondness for Tasha, and since I do too, it warmed my heart. Tasha does not belong in this competition, but she's genuine and down to earth, and I was very happy they won 5K mostly because it moved her to tears. Jenni and Brik should be thanking the fashion gods their team won because that dress with the faux fur triangle at the neck was hideous, even worse than Alex's dress.

We still need to lose - as partially mentioned above - Brik, Jenni, Tasha, Cornelius, Nathalia, and Mah-Jing. Rik's on the bubble for me, as is, shockingly probably to some, Roberri. I don't think they care much for his looks.

Even with all the things I mentioned above, I am enjoying this season a lot more than any of the seasons since 10.

Edited by PepperMonkey
  • Love 6

I was completely sure Tim was going to use his save for Alex when he came in at the end and seemed to be overcome with emotion.  He did delay  using it one time (for Charketa?  maybe?), but it does seem very early, so I'm doubtful.  As has been noted several times already, the problem with team challenges is that a very weak designer on the winning team can go through leaving a much stronger designer on the losing team to be sent home.  How Brik has survived to this point is an actual marvel, except that producers do get some say-so, and perhaps they think he is quirky enough to be worth keeping a while.  ??  He's is so clearly out of his depth, week after week, that his staying only makes sense if someone is intervening.  My opinion, of course.  

After last season, my daughter refuses to watch PR anymore.  I'm sorry about that because I'm enjoying this season a lot, weird judging aside, and that's just normal on this show.  It's clear that they have decided to reward Erin's aesthetic this season - I'm pretty sure there have been times when Team Unity's look (except for Alex's weird dress) would have been preferred, but color and a bit of eccentricity seem to be what they want this year.  But I am savoring the positive interactions among the contestants, the overall sweetness most of them display, and the almost complete lack of cliquishness and bully behavior we have witnessed on other seasons.  I hope this tone persists throughout the season.

• Love 7
5 hours ago, Beden said:

Am I the only one who believes that Erin can already be crowned the season's winner? When Nina made the comment about how she can always tell when one of her designs comes down the runway (with fawning, smiling, benign and motherly pride) it was a done deal as far as I'm concerned.

Okay, the girl isn't awful (if a bit smug) but that yellow coat? Aside from a fashionista, who would be caught dead? I thought the color had limited appeal and that the design itself was blocky, bulky and unattractive in a welcome to a sci-fi movie kind of way.

I couldn't believe that Erin wasn't chosen first.  She's won two challenges and been in the top for most of the rest of them.  The judges like her stuff.  Pick her to be on your team.  It was delightful to see two entire teams work together.  Truly a Project Runway first!

Regarding the yellow coat - years ago, I found a bright Kelly green velveteen blazer in a closet, and being thrifty, wore it.  It turned into my signature piece.  I have never received so many compliments as I did on that jacket.  People do like color, and they like seeing other people wearing color.  Kelly green is not that different from Sunny yellow.

Why did Alex keep saying he was a Business Scholar?

If there is a Tim Gunn Save, why doesn't he just use it on the first person out and be done with it?

• Love 4
50 minutes ago, PepperMonkey said:

Cornelius continues to slide down my sliding scale of disgust by calling Mah-Jing whatshisname.

Just starting to watch now after reading this thread first; in the "team picking" segment at the beginning, Cornelius picked Mah-Jing and knew his name perfectly well!

• Love 5

I had a disconnect.  I queued up the show and thought, "Look, they're doing something new on Project Runway!"   And then could not keep my attention from drifting. 

I think the problem is that watching a "team" coordinate a "line" is not as interesting as following the process of individual designers bringing their ideas to fruition.

(It made me smile to hear "mauve" pronounced correctly.  Ha.  I used to mutter "taupe" back at people, but it was rude, so I retired my word police badge.)

• Love 2
1 hour ago, PepperMonkey said:

Similarly, with Laurence, it was a nice leather jacket, but was there something special about the "design" that I am missing? I had that leather jacket in several colours over the years, and currently own a chocolate brown one cut almost exactly like it. I guess it looked okay with the yellow skirt, but I think Erin was the one responsible for the colour, so I didn't think Laurence did anything earth-shattering.

I didn't see anything special about the jacket.  I didn't think it was well made - lumpy and bumpy and didn't lie smooth - but I give her a pass for that due to time constraints.  However, it probably looked super awesome next to the drek on the runway, so the best of a bad bunch of options.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, PepperMonkey said:

Cornelius continues to slide down my sliding scale of disgust by calling Mah-Jing whatshisname. I GET that some of us are having issues with names because there are so many of these damn designers left, but these guys are in the foxhole, if you will, and that was just sheer dismissiveness for the sake of being an asshole.

His little friend Nathalia (?) is not much better, for all of her talking about trying to stay away from him and his negativity, she sure does continue to enable him and feed into his fantasies of how awesome he is.

(snip)

I didn't think Laurence did anything earth-shattering. Saw her helping Tasha a few times which was nice; she seems to have a fondness for Tasha, and since I do too, it warmed my heart. Tasha does not belong in this competition, but she's genuine and down to earth, and I was very happy they won 5K mostly because it moved her to tears. Jenni and Brik should be thanking the fashion gods their team won because that dress with the faux fur triangle at the neck was hideous, even worse than Alex's dress.

We still need to lose - as partially mentioned above - Brik, Jenni, Tasha, Cornelius, Nathalia, and Mah-Jing. Rik's on the bubble for me, as is, shockingly probably to some, Roberri. I don't think they care much for his looks.

Even with all the things I mentioned above, I am enjoying this season a lot more than any of the seasons since 10.

Nathalia is really disappointing me, I thought she was really going to take the high road. But we're right back in middle school.

I like Laurence a lot, I love how she's so elegant and queenly in demeanor, but down to earth and funny! I would love to see her go all the way just so I can continue to enjoy her. She was sweet with Tasha, who I also love--she's an outlier, I think she has something to say but I don't know if she'll be able to be heard in this venue. I was thrilled that she won the $$. She's had a lot of struggles and it will really make a difference for her.

Brik. He's another one who will last much longer than he should because he's on a winning team, or someone else was just a hair worse than him. Bless his heart.

Roberri I like but he really hit a sour note this week. What was that rag he put on his model?

• Love 3
8 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

ITA that the problem with team challenges is that we get outcomes like this where Alex is eliminated even though he's far more talented than Brik who has somehow managed to make it to the seventh challenge.

Don't look for rhyme or reason in this show.   Tasha should have been gone long before now.

• Love 3

Suspenders. Suspenders? Suspenders! I'm still laughing. As has been said, bless his heart.

I enjoyed this episode. I hate the fakey contrived drama, so the more deliberate mood hit me in the right place.

I also was shocked Alex was only 30 when he was talking like he was 45 at least. Some people are born old it seems. Cornelius is dead to me, although I did laugh at his tears. Nathalia was nearly as bad.

I disliked the 80s vibe of Team Unity's clothes. That shiny denim (?) was ugly, looked like it was difficult to work with, and was so unflattering. Alex's dress really did look like either a trash bag or duct tape. So lumpy and bumpy, too. Mah Jing's top was very well made. You could see that it was possible to make smooth seams with that fabric in the close-ups of Mah Jing's top. Roberri's was just unfortunate. I think I snorted when he described that top as a tuxedo shirt. I'd completely forgotten that was part of their pitch. I looked like an oversize bib...that had been gnawed on by wolverines. The print fabric they chose was just not attractive.

Bouton (maybe the wooly fabric was an homage to mouton?) looked cheery and a bit cheeky. Yellow is not my color at all, but it was nice to see color. Agree with everybody that that unfortunate not-mauve was the other color chosen, but they fulfilled their promises, and I actually liked the embellishments. What can I say? I'm a more is more girl.

• Love 6
15 hours ago, izabella said:

Why would anyone think big bird yellow and beige (mauve, lol) would go well together?   Didn't like that yellow coat with the grandma trim, nor that stupid Star Trek bib-neck dress that Jenni and Brik made.

Everything in the other team's collection seemed misshapen to me, and was laughable as "work wear."

ETA:  Whoops - it's not a Star Trek bib-neck...I was thinking of Lost in Space bib-necks, and oh, boy, there's that yellow and mauve inspiration!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_in_Space

I kept wondering if I was hearing things when they kept calling that color mauve.  I was wondering if they've seen a box of crayons lately.  And the Lost in Space reference is dead on!  I was cracking up at that.

• Love 1

There wasn't a single item from either team that impressed me. Laurence's jacket looked well-made but the pointy-peaked shoulders were awful. Is Mood having a special on bright yellow fabric? There are other colors, let's have a break. It's unflattering to most skin tones.

• Love 6
11 minutes ago, Broderbits said:

Is Mood having a special on bright yellow fabric?

In Erin's "audition" she showed a lot of things in that color. And then the candy dress was that color. She LOVES that color.

I don't know what I hated more than yellow jacket with those giant bedazzled patchwork iron-ons or the hoochy 'mauve' dress.   The yellow dress felt like something I'd seen on Rhoda or Maude (Nick at Nite reruns).   And the dress was more Star Trek with a tribble stuck on the front.  Ugh.  I did really like the denim suit though.  Laurence's leather coat was the star.  The losing team still had more appropriate for their girl clothes though.

If Lifetime wants to cross promote, why didn't they bring aboard the investors from the other show?

And Nina, you have promoted tons of strapless and shiny as work wear (of course it isn't).

• Love 4

Further thoughts: Wiki defines mauve as a pale purple or violet, and other examples look lavender-ish. If the yellow coat had true mauve accents, the yellow + purple could be thought of as complementary colors. The mauve I saw on my tv wasn't a variation of violet, however, but a sickly, nondescript pinky-beige.

It relieves me no end that so many others are befuddled at the color used by Bouton being called "mauve". To my eyes it more resembled Mid-Century Bandaid.

While there was some design/fabric unity for Unity, the combination of the fabrics, particularly with the shine factor, reminded me of an oil spill. I really disliked Alex' dress, but would have worn Mah-Jing's vest in another more autumnal colorway.

• Love 6

I took another look at the photos on Lifetime's website, and unless they lengthened the supposedly mauve dress for photos, that dress is not too short for Heidi --  unless her tastes have changed a lot fairly recently. She has liked many dresses and skirts that were considerably shorter than that dress. (This is not to say the dress is good. Just that she's liked shorter stuff, and she specifically mentioned the dress was too short even for her.)

I was actually glad to find out the bit at the top was fur. I missed the first part of the episode and came in right before the runway, so I had to watch the first part in the repeat airing. I thought at first the bit at the top was some kind of net or tulle. It was just too close to the model's skin color. I think it might have looked better (although still not great) on a darker-skinned model. They only had one, however, and she had to wear the yellow coat because that color would not have looked as good on any of the other models.

I wonder how they decided which model wore which outfit. (I may have missed it if they talked about it. Watching it the way I did, I missed bits.) Did they discuss it or did all the designers just get their usual models and put their outfits on them without discussing who would look best in what?

1 hour ago, dleighg said:

In Erin's "audition" she showed a lot of things in that color. And then the candy dress was that color. She LOVES that color.

She also said during the first challenge that she chose the yellow materials for the unconventional challenge because it's her favorite color. 

As soon as I saw that big yellow monstrosity that Erin made, I knew the judges would love it and her team would win.  That thing was hideous.

I felt bad for Alex and his team.  With much less money than the other team, I thought they did a better job than the other team.

Edited by Canada
  • Love 9

I think that sequins are Nina's 'find' for the season.  After all, she wore the embellished 'snake' pants earlier in the season.  However, combining her new love of embellishments with her love for Alex's prairie cover-up last week lead me to believe that Nina is entering a grandmotherly fashion stage.  I'm older than she is, but don't get her love of embellishments and other looks this season.

• Love 8
9 hours ago, NYCNJbear06 said:

Not that I'm a fan of Cornelius in any way, but as a teacher, I occasionally get a student's name incorrect, and the wrong one gets stuck in my head. I have a student named Jin, and I keep wanting to call him Jun. Every day I see him, I have to think, and I still get it wrong. Or Georgia, who I'm still calling a Madeline a year later.  Unlike Cornelius though,  I am embarrassed by it.

• Love 5

I used to teach a weekly dance class where I got completely different students every six weeks so it usually took me the first 2-3 weeks to get everyone's names straight and then a few weeks later they were gone and I had a new batch of students. I have a tough time remembering names as it is so I had to work really hard to learn their names as quickly as possible. Despite this, during one session I kept calling one student Joy (even though her real name wasn't even close to that) I knew that Joy wasn't her name but it kept popping out of my mouth when I saw her face. Luckily she was very sweet about it (she said she must look happy and joyful for me to keep calling her Joy) but I still felt terrible about it. So that part of me wants to feel a little bit of sympathy for Cornelius, but he's been such a pill to just about everyone that it's hard for me to give him the benefit of the doubt about anything. I feel like his default setting is "be a humorless dick."

• Love 7
22 minutes ago, hula-la said:

Not that I'm a fan of Cornelius in any way, but as a teacher, I occasionally get a student's name incorrect, and the wrong one gets stuck in my head. I have a student named Jin, and I keep wanting to call him Jun. Every day I see him, I have to think, and I still get it wrong. Or Georgia, who I'm still calling a Madeline a year later.  Unlike Cornelius though,  I am embarrassed by it.

Each year, I always seemed to get at least one kid's name wrong, often I think because he/she reminded me of someone in a previous class.  And then, yeah, you have to stop and double check which name is right.  When I had 200 7th graders a year, not too surprising.  

• Love 3
30 minutes ago, hula-la said:

The embarrassment is the thing. I sometimes just cannot get a name from the recesses of my mind and get it out of my mouth. It's always someone I've worked with a lot, someone I know whose name I should not forget. Sometimes I call that person what's-her-name or "that woman, you know the one, brown hair, talks a lot," but I always mention that I know the name and just can't think of it, and I manage to at least look sheepish. Also I'm a lot older than Cornelius.

• Love 3

Everyone's MMV, but I still think Cornelius was being condescending towards Mah-Jing by purposely calling him Whatshisname.

I would like to think I'm wrong, but I don't think I am.

Also, am just now noticing the focus seems to have been removed from Jenni's god horrible over exaggerated donkey bray laugh. I see she started it on last night's episode and they either cut it off or she did.

I'm calling Laurence, Dexter and Erin for the final three. I would like to think they would all have an equal shot, but I don't think they all DO...

Edited by PepperMonkey
  • Love 7

I have seen Project Runway for almost all of the seasons. In almost all cases , I agreed with the judges. Even in the few situations where I felt that other work was inferior to the designer sent home, I knew that the person selected wasn't going to be around long. This is the first time since watching the show that I absolutely disagreed with the judges on sending Alex home. Not only was he a solid designer, he was in the top three or close several times. In fact, the other designers respected his work too. I also would have bet that he was a fan favorite. I am shocked that Tim Gunn didn't save him. Roberti should have gone home. His outfit was much worse than that of Alex's. 

I also get the reason that Alex's team lost but I felt overall they had better pieces and certainly had a more coherent design among pieces.

Take it from me, this was a big mistake.

I would like to know what many of you who watch the show felt.

Edited by Sandy100
  • Love 7

It appears Erin can do no wrong. I thought that her yellow coat was butt-ugly. Yellow and oatmeal beige are hard colors to wear. The sequins she added seemed like a last-minute, "why-don't-I-just-add-these-thingys-on-cuz-that's-what-I-do?" Hideous. Looked like a 2nd grade art project. Yet like another poster said, as soon as I saw it, I knew they would win.

As far as the "mauve" dress, it was Erin's idea to cut it to vagina length. Originally it was much longer. Still ugly, but longer.

While I hate Dexter's nose ring, I really enjoy him. Good for him.

I liked Jah-Jing's vest. It was the best thing in the collection. Not real original though.

Laurence's jacket: only done a million times already. I fell asleep looking at it. Loved Nina's bumble bee comment. However, I like Laurence and think she has talent.

There still may be a save for Alex. It happened before.

I think Roberti should have went home. That rag he called a tuxedo top looked like he was blindfolded and completely drunk when he cut it out with dull scissors. That said, Brik is really the one who should have went, but he was on the winning team.

I hate the "who should go home" question. It makes me cringe every time. Those poor designers are put on the spot and what they think should not have anything to do with the judges - who are uh, the judges and should, uh be judging. Luckily this is a nice group of designers (yay) and there were no horrible comments.

Despite my snarky comments, I am enjoying this season despite the crazy judging which has become a staple of the show.

• Love 5

So Erin gets praised for another ugly, shapeless arts 'n' crafts project.  Ugh.

Both teams were uninspiring, Laurence's jacket was almost tolerable except for those shoulders - way too 80's and in a bad way.

Bleh.  

• Love 4

I thought the other team should have won. The buttons had so much horrible, garish crap, including that incredibly oversized yellow coat. Neither of the collections were anything spectacular, though.

• Love 2

Did Nathalia make the black jacket on the losing team that the judges praised?  I didn't get that at all.  Was there detail that was hard to see?  It seemed shapeless and looked like something from Travelsmith - you can roll it up and it won't wrinkle/wear it on a rainy day. 

• Love 3

Watching the judging now, so this is my gut reaction. Neither collection blew me away, but they both were fairly okay. The big strike against the losing team, for me, was the shiny fabric. The bigger fabric failure was the raggedy BLUSH on the other team. It did nothing for the collection and hampered the coat. 

Also HATED the doo-dahs that the judges love. They looked hastily conceived and applied.

Didn't hate the yellow. I can't wear it, but it was different (if we ignore whatshername's obsession with it) and I could see it as an interesting accent. 

All of that said, I'm enjoying the heck out of watching the mean-girl team twisting in the wind.

22 hours ago, SillyOldClothCat said:

Those handmade sequined embellishments (or whatever Erin uses) that are apparently so fashion forward just look like someone bedazzles her clothes. I don't get it!

My husband breezed through the room just when the judges were doing their close up of the denim suit and said, "yikes.  Those sequins are tacky."  I agree. I thought the embellishments cheapened the looks rather than made them look more expensive. Then again, I pegged Team Unity for the win with Mah-Jing as the winner (for that fabulous vest) and either Brik or Jenni going home so what do I know? 

• Love 8

I really think the other team should have lost and one of the designers of that godawful chest hair mimicking dress should have gone home. Painfully bland color, ridiculous chest hair embellishment. Way too short for the professional woman they claim they were dressing.

I do wish it wasn't a team challenge because I LOVED Mah-Jing's vest and the dress (the one with the jacket) from that collection too. I actually preferred most of the pieces in the losing collection though I agree that the color palette was both bland and flashy at the same time and most of it came across as more disco diva than professional woman.

I appreciate how well they all handled the team challenge though. Nearly every year of this show there has been major personality clashes and drama over the team challenges, but there were actually a few people here who were excited about working as  team which was so refreshing.

I really have no early favorites yet so I don't get too worked up over who is leaving though I wish it had been Cornelius based solely on his stank personality. I can't stand him. I do think Alex was the wrong choice. I actually liked his dress. It wasn't a work dress but it was interesting for a basic strapless column dress. I found the weird pants with the floraly patches probably the worst part of that collection but like I said, I would have had this as the winner and the other collection the loser and whoever was more responsible for the beige dress should have gone. Mainly for the hideous sternum bush.

• Love 4

I guess when the judges are desperate to see something that hasn't been done to death already, they salivate and laud it as fashion (the poorly executed Bedazzling and the chrome yellow). But if that's true, why did they hate the beige dress with the textured insert?

I watch PR with hands over my eyes because I fear an outbreak of two things: diva hissy fits and sob stories. So far they've chosen to keep this kind of thing under control (with the exception of nasty Cornelius). Good for Mah-Jing for not projecting his outsider position onto the teamwork. However Alex bordered on sliding into noble victim territory. But I'll take that over the nasty brutish fights of earlier seasons.

• Love 5