Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E07: Dessert Week

• Start Topic

Week seven of The Great British Bake Off is Dessert week. Three sweet challenges which will mean a bitter end for one of the six remaining bakers as they battle for a place in the quarter-final.

For starters the bakers face a sweetly filled signature challenge that has them rolling out their skills to impress Mary and Paul.

And if that wasn't enough, the technical challenge is one of the toughest of the series so far, which layers on the pressure as the bakers are tested on a tricky French dessert.

Sue heads to Paris for a lesson on the history of praline and nibbles on a few of these nutty delicacies.

And finally there is a multi-bake mini-showstopper that is a bit of a mousse marathon. But which of the bakers will impress Mary and Paul enough to earn their place in the quarter-final, and which baker will be hanging up their apron and heading home?

We can now drop Paul's much repeated line about bread week star bakers always making it to the final.

I think it's unfortunate that some folks are taking Andrew's "finally" as entitlement. I read it as relief at being able to bake closer to his potential two days in a row. Especially since he had such a rough go of botanical week.

• Love 14

I don't know why, but I was shocked to see Tom leave this week.  I mean, I know he was having a rough week, but I thought for sure Selasi was going to get the ax.  Not that I mind being wrong.  I'd much rather keep Selasi in the tent than Tom.

I loved Andrew's Mousse Cake Ferris wheel and was happy to see him named star baked this week.  And I loved how happy everyone else seemed to see him score his first win.  

• Love 8

My favorite gingineer won star baker after "having a word with himself" and the douchy hipster picnic was tossed in the bin where it belongs. All is right with the world. 

It's a shame they don't have budget enough for a fact-checker. Paul has now embarrased himself twice by saying the star baker of bread week has always made it to the finale. I guess he can't remember back to season 2.

I was happy to see most people doing so well. Even the lower ranked bakes seemed pretty good, just differences in the level of finesse. 

Edited by dwarmed
  • Love 4

I was so surprised when I saw there were only six bakers left. How is this season almost over? It feels like it just started!

I made an ice cream roll cake for my parents when I was 13 and haven't attempted rolling a cake since then, but I was still interested to see all the roulade cakes.

I really felt for the bakers during the showstopper after someone mentioned how hot it was in the tent. I remember on the Australian show, it was about 100 degrees in the tent during one of the episides and they had similar problems due to the heat. It was just bad timing that they were making mousse on such a warm day.

Candice's mousse in the champagne was so pretty. To be honest, I liked that idea more than Andrew's. I loved Andrew's ferris wheel presentation, but I felt like that was just a matter of finding the ferris wheel itself whereas Candice's felt a little more creative and imaginative.

When Selasi showed that his mousses weren't set, I was sure he was going home. But then Paul called Tom's showstoppers cakes and I thought he was going home so I wouldn't have been surprised by either of them being eliminated. I'm glad Selasi is still around because I like that he avoids getting flustered no matter what happens.

I didn't see Andrew saying that he finally won star baker as entitlement at all. Of the six bakers left this week, he and Selasi were the only two who hadn't been crowned star baker yet. On top of that, Andrew has been one of the judges' favorite bakers three times, so he's been close. But besides all that, I can see how being star baker for the first time after seven weeks would merit him saying, "FINALLY!" I didn't see anything negative about it.

• Love 12

I was worried about Selasi after his sunken french dessert thing. Thankfully he pulled it out, just about. But he's skating on thin ice, especially when those left now are all pretty consistent. His relaxed, chilled out attitude is a bit of a mixed blessing, it seems. Because while he stays very calm in the face of pressure, it seems like he can fall into the trap of being a bit too complacent. Everyone seems to love him, though, including Paul and Mary, so he might get another escape or two.

Also, Paul complaining about Selasi's mint chocolate mousses being too big? Are you insane, man? A dessert like that can't be too big.

I don't mind Tom, he had a few wry remarks that made me smile. Not least the one about the "hipster way" being to "take something incredibly simple and make it incredibly complicated". But I'm glad he's gone, if it was a choice between him and Selasi. Like Rav last week, Tom seemed to be quite fatalistic about everything in this episode.

Sue was on good form this week, with her comment about nothing being posher than a viennetta, offering to marry Tom, calling Paul "creepy"

Andrew deserved star baker. He seems like a nice chap, but I base my favourites on whether I'd like to hang out with them for a drink and a laugh. I feel like Andrew would get on my nerves quite quickly. Selasi and Candice seem like they'd be the most fun.

• Love 3

There didn't seem to be as much panicking about timings this week. Either the bakers are getting better or they've changed the focus of the editing. 

Selasi should have just cut his mousses in half and served the best looking ones!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Danny Franks said:

Also, Paul complaining about Selasi's mint chocolate mousses being too big? Are you insane, man? A dessert like that can't be too big.

I was reminded of my favorite from seasons past, Glenn, asking the camera, "A dessert that's too big? Is that even a thing?"

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Danny Franks said:

Sue was on good form this week, with her comment about nothing being posher than a viennetta, offering to marry Tom, calling Paul "creepy"

Oh yeah. I think my favourite thing about the whole episode was when Paul did that thing where he called Tom's plan to have shortbread in the roulade "interesting" and Sue called him out on it with something like "Do you mean genuinely interesting or the classic creepy Paul Hollywood 'muahahahaha' way?" Because he does that so often.

I love roll cakes, but these were definitely much fancier than any I've ever eaten. I prefer them simpler. (My favourite will always be my mum's chocolate sponge with plain buttercream filling.)

Mary's face when Benjamina talked about the rum in her roulade was brilliant. Mary really does love a boozy cake.

This episode felt weirdly - not uninteresting, but like I knew what was going to happen. It felt very obvious from early on that Tom was gonna go and Andrew was going to get star baker. I did really like the technical challenge, though! It reminded me a little bit of the moccatines from last season, but with meringue instead of genoise. I like this sort of challenge, when it's very technical and a bit fiddly.

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, Schweedie said:

Mary's face when Benjamina talked about the rum in her roulade was brilliant. Mary really does love a boozy cake.

Oh, yes! And I think we got two funny moments. If I recall, there was a wink and another time a priceless face. How I love Mary Berry. 

Because they cast so many lovely people on this show, I will sometimes watch for the reactions of whomever is in the background during critiques, and Jane's been cracking me up. This week she had a full-out moment of joy for someone (I forget who), and also is blurrily in the background of Tom's critique holding one of his hipster mustaches to her upper lip. I had to run that bit back to make sure I was seeing it. 

I'm fine with Tom going home, but really, I want them all to do well (I just root a little harder for some than others).  

• Love 13
3 hours ago, Schweedie said:

Oh yeah. I think my favourite thing about the whole episode was when Paul did that thing where he called Tom's plan to have shortbread in the roulade "interesting" and Sue called him out on it with something like "Do you mean genuinely interesting or the classic creepy Paul Hollywood 'muahahahaha' way?" Because he does that so often.

The thing is, in his own way he's giving them a hint. I can't really recall a time when he's said 'oh you're doing that? That's... interesting' and he's seemed like he thought what they were doing was a good idea. It just seems to be his own dickish way of saying 'how about you don't do that?'

Hell, he even gave up on that reserve this week, when he flat out told Tom "you're going to have trouble piping mousse". 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

The thing is, in his own way he's giving them a hint. I can't really recall a time when he's said 'oh you're doing that? That's... interesting' and he's seemed like he thought what they were doing was a good idea. It just seems to be his own dickish way of saying 'how about you don't do that?"

I don't see it as dickish at all. In fact, if he is implying "how about you don't do that?" then he is trying to help them without... "helping" them, i.e. going outside the bounds of what he is allowed to do and telling them directly to not do something. 

• Love 19
10 hours ago, Darian said:

Because they cast so many lovely people on this show, I will sometimes watch for the reactions of whomever is in the background during critiques, and Jane's been cracking me up. This week she had a full-out moment of joy for someone (I forget who), and also is blurrily in the background of Tom's critique holding one of his hipster mustaches to her upper lip. I had to run that bit back to make sure I was seeing it.

Love Productions posted a pic on Twitter:

CuCAx1qWcAIx_JR.jpg

11 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

His relaxed, chilled out attitude is a bit of a mixed blessing, it seems.

I was happy he hammed it up for the cameras after Benjamina approved of something he'd adjusted.

7 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

The thing is, in his own way he's giving them a hint. I can't really recall a time when he's said 'oh you're doing that? That's... interesting' and he's seemed like he thought what they were doing was a good idea. It just seems to be his own dickish way of saying 'how about you don't do that?'

Hell, he even gave up on that reserve this week, when he flat out told Tom "you're going to have trouble piping mousse". 

For the most part I do think he's trying to be helpful. I think he admitted once, to just messing with Tamal with that kind of comment but my memory of last season is a bit hazy.

It is worth noting that his professional skepticism isn't always warranted. I think of Nancy and her use of the microwave for proving dough.

Edited by halopub
Added pic.
  • LOL 2
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, halopub said:

It is worth noting that his professional skepticism isn't always warranted. I think of Nancy and her use of the microwave for proving dough.

True, but he wasn't wrong either. That's a risky technique, as he said -- one wrong bit of timing and you've killed your dough and have to start over. Not everyone would be as savvy as Nancy about how to make it work.

The funny thing about how they edit this for their narrative.  Going back and watching it again and it seems that Jane was actually the one in battle with Tom to go home.  Selasi's bottom in the technical seemed to be outweighed by doing rather well mostly in the signature and having at least one good item in his duo in the show stopper.  Which was really all over the place.  It was funny seeing the plating versus when they shot Andrew's when they were being judged.  He was lucky everyone else did so poorly when all is said and done.  If Benjamina had equaled presentation to taste she might have edged him out.  I mean Andrew's were head and shoulders above the rest as a pair.  But the editing managed to hide some wonky ones that showed how overall, his execution was not as perfect as the editing showed when he placed them in front of Paul and Mary.  Still I'm glad he won starbaker since it meant so much to him.  But as proven otherwise, starbaker is a hollow construct for the narration and really doesn't mean anything since a bad enough bake the next week has sent plenty of them home.

Its odd how much this is still in the air.  Benjamina, Candice and Jane who I had in the top three just two weeks ago have all shown they can really put themselves in jeopardy with little effort.  So does Andrew.  And Selasi has been all over the place within each week.  Sometimes in the top, often in or skirting near the bottom, but like Rav he manages to not be the worst overall so far.  Not sure how long that luck can last.  Still he bakes some really wicked good sponges/cakes and if the following challenges allow him to produce along those lines he could actually make it to the finals since this group seems to not learn as it progresses as other seasons seem to show finalists doing.  Benjamina still has a slight issue with taste components that let her down as often as they lift her up.  All three women have time issues.  Jane takes an extra step that is too often time consuming and takes away from the overall quality and too often in recent challenges has not been able to deliver even as a good component.  Candice veers back and forth and she really needs to edit herself and stop trying to do so much.

Andrew's precise manners work both ways for him as well.  This time it worked.  But he has shown he can be a complete flirt with disaster a whole weekend and not just one challenge. 

In particular I found that half the bakes that looked good from the outside had a flaw inside and to be going into the semi-finals with that happening as often if not more often than not, I find that makes for an interesting contest.  These bakers, love them all, could not be more inconsistent this far in to me.

I really wanted to feel sorry for Tom but after watching again, I noticed he did the same thing he often did in the previous shows.  He makes a cock up in his bake.  He knows he does.  He gets dinged for it in the judging but then follows in his talking head to mitigate or disagree with the judging.  It's not a crime but I just found it a bit annoying since this show does not usually have the "I know better than the judges" contestants.  Yes there have been moments of disagreement but Tom seems to always have some kind of edit in that regard this season.

Loved Selasi playing to the audience as well as with the others in the tent.   I wish sometimes he would be as intense with his bakes as he is with having to sit and wait for the verdict.  But I also love his sort of self-deprecating joshing during the actual bakes as well. 

Two comments I noticed that had me wondering coincidence or some sly reference to what was going on outside the show with the BBC and Love Productions.  'Paul and Mary a match made in heaven' and 'are we in trouble?' Mel's comment about her and Sue when talking about who is in threat to be eliminated.  Easy to read more in than is there, but also I have to wonder what was going through their minds as the approached what some of them had to know was their last season. 

If Mary wants to retire completely and Nadiya and Tamal already have commitments thanks to their success last season, I think Selasi and pretty much any of the final three women would make a great duo.  Nowhere near the gravitas or experience needed to judge I know, but I just find them all a lot of fun.  Andrew is charming but he seems a little more reactive to the others than engaging. 

This more than any other season makes me wish they would do a cut/lost footage episode to round the season up.  I love the little bits on An Extra Slice and I think this group has a lot of whimsical and fun moments not deemed worthy to make the hour broadcast.

• Love 4

So glad Selasi made it through!  I was worried.

Tom was a decent baker, but the best thing he ever did in the tent was give that brilliant description of hipsters. JMO

I wanted to eat almost everything this week; usually I only want to eat about half.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Athena said:

The GBBO social media team has GIFed Mary's face when hearing the magical word "Rum" as mentioned by Benjamina:

Ha, yes, that's the one I was thinking of!

5 hours ago, tenativelyyours said:

And Selasi has been all over the place within each week.  Sometimes in the top, often in or skirting near the bottom, but like Rav he manages to not be the worst overall so far.  Not sure how long that luck can last.  Still he bakes some really wicked good sponges/cakes and if the following challenges allow him to produce along those lines he could actually make it to the finals since this group seems to not learn as it progresses as other seasons seem to show finalists doing.

He does seem to be very good at cakes/sponges, doesn't he? But overall he hasn't been as good as I expected him to - it's like you say, he's all over the place, especially in technicals, and you don't know which Selasi you're going to get each week.

Out of the bakers left I honestly have no idea who'll be in the final any more. It seems like anyone left now could easily have a really bad week and go home.

• Love 1

At the sharp end of the competition with the weaker bakers out anyone could have a bad weekend and be asked to leave - I find that much more compelling as I'm now invested in these people.  I realize there has been a swell of social media sentiment portraying Jane as some sinister presence, but I thought her showstopper showed so much skill I admire those how can calmly dig their way out of trouble and focus on day 2 - Nancy and Nadiya spring to mind. I did think uh-oh when she said she had made lots of roulades - memories of Val's bakewell tart hubris! This made me think the editors had decided pride goes before leaving the tent.

Of course the editing is post decision, so they manipulate the viewer into watching bakers sink and shine. While I'm not unhappy Andrew won star baker, how different it could have been if Paul had found the crack in his nut meringue technical, or how much more angry would viewers have been if the more misshapen mousses weren't conveniently put out of shot for the judging. I haven't warmed to him as much as I thought I would. Some of the bakers just seem ...a little more self contained (if that's the right phrase) than others - I think that's why I like bakers like Benjamina, Selasi and Rav, Nadiya and Tamal, and thinking back to Luis for their expansive and generous energy in the tent.

I realize this is a kind of narrative as well, but the tension between Tom's ideas and execution, particularly at the sweet tasting end of his creations,  finally meant he had to pack up his bowling ball. He said earlier in the competition he didn't bake a lot of sugared things and this lack of instinct about more 'conventional' desserts may not have helped him. Well that and a little stubbornness.

• Love 1

Welp, so much for Selasi keeping his cool.  His panic made sense, though.  I figured Tom winning SB last week would help keep him safe.  But when it came to the showstopper, Selasi's won out between the two.  Tom's "sandwiches" looked downright unappetizing.  It wasn't like they were sloppy, but the piped mousse somehow resembled macaroni of all things, poorly sandwiched between two slices of bread.  Yuck.  Looks like his creativity ended up being his downfall.  But like Rav, Tom knew his time was up and left gracefully.

Andrew is adorable.  I'm glad he won, and definitely didn't see it as an entitlement thing.

Honestly, none of these showstoppers seemed appealing to me (I hate fruits mixed in my food) but the were all pretty creative.  Well, Benjamina's was a plain looking mess, but I lol'd at the judges going for another taste.  Apparently it was that good!  Glad she didn't get axed.

On 10/6/2016 at 7:13 PM, halopub said:

I noticed that, too!  I felt bad laughing because it was also zooming in on sadTom's face, but it was so randomly hilarious.

• Love 4
(edited)

Compared to the other 5 bakers whose roulades looked beautiful enough to be in a patisserie window, Tom's roulade, sloppily covered in chocolate, looked like something I'd make. 

Edited by Quilt Fairy
  • LOL 1
  • Love 12

Yay, Andrew! He is so cute. 

Why was this week called "Desserts"? I consider cakes and meringue pies to be desserts. Was it used as just a catch-all phrase?

I love how Paul says "butter" and "nuts."

• Love 1
(edited)
On 10/6/2016 at 10:09 AM, Darian said:

On 10/6/2016 at 8:13 PM, halopub said:

CuCAx1qWcAIx_JR.jpg

Haha, I was also one who rewound this shot just to figure out what was going on back there! 

I was loving all the mini mousse cakes! Especially Jane's, Andrew's, and Candice's  berry ones. (not so much Tom's which didn't seem to fit in) 

I can't seem to make up my mind between Jane, Andrew, Candice, and Benjamina. Selasi just hasn't clicked with me (although his cake last week was beautiful). I would be fine with him going home next week so that way I get one more week to analyze the other four!

ETA: Loved the technical! And I'm so glad so many of them were nearly as beautiful as Mary's sample! 

Edited by katalizt
  • Love 2

Where can I watch this episode?  My PBS station just decided to skip it tonight, and I don't see where it is being repeated anytime this week.  And only "tudor week" next week.  I wonder why the station would just skip it?  (I'm on the west coast)

I live in So. California and saw it. It  is  repeated on Tuesday night at 10:00pm and on Wednesday afternoon (can't remember time) on a channel called socal pbs.

Andrew was so happy to win star baker!  He did a good job with all three bakes.

I must say I have had experience with the daquoise and not a good one.  It took my sister and me about  5 hours over two days to get it right!  But it was just delicious.

So glad Andrew got Star Baker, he's my favorite.

I was impressed by how well everyone decorated their daquoise, they all looked alike, the directions must have really been explicit.

"Hipster" is the perfect word for Tom, I won't miss him.

46 minutes ago, pinguina said:

I live in So. California and saw it. It  is  repeated on Tuesday night at 10:00pm and on Wednesday afternoon (can't remember time) on a channel called socal pbs.

Andrew was so happy to win star baker!  He did a good job with all three bakes.

I was able to find it on the PBS web site.  It was listed in the PBS program guide, so I have no idea why it wasn't on.  Anyway, I was able to see  the episode, I'm happy Andrew won star baker, and I will hope the program shows on time next week.  At least now I know where to watch if it is not on the tv.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

Compared to the other 5 bakers whose roulades looked beautiful enough to be in a patisserie window, Tom's roulade, sloppily covered in chocolate, looked like something I'd make. 

It looked like something I'd make, all right...in the bathroom.  MOST unappetizing.

10 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Yay, Andrew! He is so cute. 

Why was this week called "Desserts"? I consider cakes and meringue pies to be desserts. Was it used as just a catch-all phrase?

I love how Paul says "butter" and "nuts."

I guess it was called Desserts because that sort of cake and mousse combination is called a plated dessert in restaurants.  Or at least it has been on some of the other cooking competition shows I've watched.

Any episode which features Mary winking is the best episode.

I think this, and Benjamina's win, were the best-deserved Star Bakers we've gotten this season.  Andrew just nailed each of the challenges.  I knew he was going crush the Technical from the start.  Not just because he'd at least seen one before, but also because it required so much precision, which seems to be right up his alley.  And he blushes like crazy.

I was worried they'd figure a way to contrive Tom to stay for another week, since Paul seems to want to bro out with him so much.  Also, just based on the visuals, I'd have switched places between him and Selasi in the Technical, although there's also the taste and texture portion that they can't give us (yet).

My preferred final three would be Jane, Benjamina, and Andrew, although I suspect Candice is going to be in one of the slots.  I can live with that.

Candice had such high heels on in the Signature, that couldn't have been comfortable.  I was glad to see her in flats by the Showstopper.  And having her hair down suits her features.

• Love 3
55 minutes ago, starri said:

I'd have switched places between him and Selasi in the Technical, although there's also the taste and texture portion that they can't give us (yet).

That was the biggest surprise to me. I thought at least Selasi's looked a bit more put together, and it doesn't sound like his tasted that much worse. I thought the two would have been switched. On a different show I would say they just didn't want to make Tom the loser in all three challenges, but they didn't know how the showstopper would go when they put him second to last.

Jane grows on my more and more each ep. There was the random wearing of the mustache, there was her comforting Tom when things were going bad, and she just seems so happy to be there. I adore her.

I wasn't terribly impressed by the showstoppers, but part of that would be what sounds like a rather hot day messing with their mousses. There were a couple that looked lovely. But the signatures, there are a few I want to try. I need Benjamina's, and Selasi's, and Andrews!

I was so happy for Andrew. I love him dearly. As a fellow fair skinner who turns red at pretty much everything, his bright red face is endearing to me.

That technical was beautiful. Not sure I'd want to try it, but it was a lovely looking cake, and it was so nice to see them all pretty much come out well.

• Love 3

As interesting as Tom could sometimes be, I'm glad he's gone. He was kind of a Debbie Downer most of the time. The rest of the bakers are usually so much more cheerful than he was -- even Selasi.

When I heard that Andrew was planning to go "old school" with MARGARINE in his grandmother's chocolate cake recipe, I figured he'd be a goner, but I guess it was not an issue. Does anyone still use margarine?

So what's the difference between a roulade and a Swiss roll (what we'd call a jelly roll)? Is it it the specific kind of filling in a Swiss roll?

The closed-captioning on this show drives me crazy sometimes. When Mel or Sue was explaining what a marjolaine was, she said it was (according to the CC) a kind of "gatto." At first I thought this was some unfamiliar Britishism, but then I figured out what she actually must have said was "gâteau."

11 minutes ago, J-Man said:

So what's the difference between a roulade and a Swiss roll (what we'd call a jelly roll)? Is it it the specific kind of filling in a Swiss roll?

Maybe it's just a Britishism?  Like "sultana" versus "golden raisin?"

• Love 1

Unfortunately, my 89 y.o. mother insists on using margarine, or "oleo" as she calls it.  She once asked a worker in the grocery store where a particular brand of oleo was located - I had to translate for the poor kid.

• Love 2
On 10/6/2016 at 9:50 PM, tenativelyyours said:

This more than any other season makes me wish they would do a cut/lost footage episode to round the season up.  I love the little bits on An Extra Slice and I think this group has a lot of whimsical and fun moments not deemed worthy to make the hour broadcast.

Thank you, TENATIVELYYOURS, for the tip on An Extra Slice.  Found the episodes on YouTube.  What a nice compliment to my new Saturday ritual - On Demand, Podcast, message board  and now An Extra Slice.  I found myself wanting an additional "fix" of the Brits and this fits the bill.  What a treat, just scrumptious.

• Love 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, starri said:

Also, just based on the visuals, I'd have switched places between him and Selasi in the Technical, although there's also the taste and texture portion that they can't give us (yet).

As much as it pains me, Selasi was clearly last in the Technical, not from taste, but because his meringue layers weren't crisp.  Everyone else's slices could be forked up, his were tough and unyielding.  However, in the showstopper, one of his mousse cakes was great, and the other one had execution errors (set up), but tasted good.  (Little meep.meep and I exchanged incredulous glances when Paul said that they were too big).   Tom's both were sorry ugly messes.

Best part of the episode:  Tom's ridiculous pink hand cranked fan!   Too good to wave a baking sheet at your cake, boyo?

Edited by meep.meep
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, J-Man said:

When I heard that Andrew was planning to go "old school" with MARGARINE in his grandmother's chocolate cake recipe, I figured he'd be a goner, but I guess it was not an issue. Does anyone still use margarine?

(raises hand) I grew up using it, always gives me good results. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, meep.meep said:

As much as it pains me, Selasi was clearly last in the Technical, not from taste, but because his meringue layers weren't crisp.  Everyone else's slices could be forked up, his were tough and unyielding.

Damn. I had forgotten about that. I guess Selasi really was last.

I loved Selasi's reaction to Tom's hand crank fan. lol Does Tom not know they make those with batteries? Or does the hand cranking help regulate the air flow or something?

• Love 1

I had never heard of a Marjolaine, but that looked amazing.  I love nuts, so that is exactly my kind of cake.  I wish my birthday was sooner, so I could have someone make it for me.

I liked the episode, the person who is really surprising me is Jane.  When the series started, I had pegged her as another Val - a competent home baker, not too imaginative.  Boy. was I wrong.  she's really shown some flair.  I didn't think Tom was that much of a downer, he clearly had quite a good sense of (dry) humor, but I think he was stressed on the show (I haven't seen the extra slice). 

My predictions for the final 3:  Jane, Candice, Andrew.  Although Benjamina could be in it, if she ups her game a bit.  Pretty sure Selasi will be the next to go, his bakes really haven't been consistently good.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, J-Man said:

Mary Berry's cake sponge recipes often recommend to use it such as Stork. Nowadays it says either that or sofetened butter (in a way to make sure not to pick up a low fat spread) but she admitted she uses Stork margarine as it gives better results. AFAIK, Paul isn't too fussed about it, either.

• Love 1
(edited)

I love Jane.

Happy for Andrew...he seems to love his family and uses lots of their recipes and inspirations.

Can we all agree that if Candace watches this season and adjusts her lipstick approach that we are all winners?  Geez lady.

Edited by Mama No Life
adjusts, not adjust
  • Love 9
(edited)

I liked Tom's Hipster Picnic idea! And I thought his little sandwiches sounded tasty, for all that they did not match the requirements of the challenges. But it did make sense that he was the one to go home this week.

I don't know about Candice - I thought her roulade sounded very good, but in the showstopper, she once again wasn't able to fully deliver. If she doesn't start simplifying some of her bakes, I don't know if she's make it to the finals.

I also realized this week what it is that irritates me about Paul's comments while the bakers are working, is that there's really nothing they can do about it at that point. Piping the mousse may have been a very bad idea, but Tom was locked into it - he didn't have any molds, he didn't have other ingredients, he didn't have an alternate way to display his final product. There's no opportunity to incorporate Paul's feedback, so his skepticism or critiques ultimately serve no purpose other than to rattle the bakers.

Edited by swimmyfish
  • Love 2

Aw, I will miss Tom and his self-deprecation. And his cute face...

Candice needs to go. I just can't with her mime mouth anymore. I would love a Benjamina, Andrew, Selasi final, but I have a feeling that only one of them will make it through (either Andrew or Benjamina).

• Love 6
9 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

Unfortunately, my 89 y.o. mother insists on using margarine, or "oleo" as she calls it.  She once asked a worker in the grocery store where a particular brand of oleo was located - I had to translate for the poor kid.

My 86 year old mom calls it "oleo." 

2 hours ago, Mama No Life said:

Can we all agree that if Candace watches this season and adjust her lipstick approach that we are all winners?  Geez lady.

I say go for it, Candace. I like to wear dark lipsticks (Urban Decay's "F Bomb," anyone?), too.

• Love 15
1 hour ago, LittleIggy said:

I say go for it, Candace. I like to wear dark lipsticks (Urban Decay's "F Bomb," anyone?), too.

Same.  The pursing of the lips can be weird, but more power to her for the look itself.  Dark lipstick can be difficult to pull off, and she wears it well.  

• Love 14