Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E01: Coral Palms, Pt.1

• Start Topic

Should I love Jake's blonde tips so much?

When Jake said, "Hi, babe," walking into the storage thing, I was truly hoping it would be Amy. The fingertip kiss to the picture was pretty cute, though.

Ready to see Jake and Holt go after Figgis next! Perhaps some back up will be required? I missed everyone else! How in the world is Charles handling the absence of Jake? It can't be pretty.

• Love 6

Maya Rudolph! Rhea Pearlman! Jorma Taccone!

As much as I liked the guest appearances, I really, REALLY missed the rest of the cast.

Jake and Holt though are always a great dynamic.

Man, Florida takes a beating in this episode.

I like that they referenced how incredibly transphobic the ending of Ace Ventura Pet Detective is.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 10

Maya Rudolph was so good as the marshal.  "You're favorite movie is Failure to Launch.  Say it!"

I love Jake's horrible highlights and Captain Holt pretending to be straight.  Of  course he has ridden an ATV when antiquing.   That is extreme antiquing. 

• Love 6

Brooklyn Nine-Nine is back!!  Well..... kind of, at least.  Don't get me wrong, I laughed numerous times, but once it dawned on me that we weren't going to be visiting the rest of the gang back in New York, I got a bit bummed out.  Hopefully, it was only for this episode, and we'll be seeing Terry, Rosa, Boyle, and Amy very, very soon.  As in next episode soon!

Still, any episode that finds a way to have Holt bust out a birthday party rap against his will, isn't a total bust.  Andre Braugher is the gift that keeps on giving.  I also liked how is attempts to be straight with his power walking friends was talking about liking women and their "heavy breasts."  "That's just how the straight mind works!"

I wouldn't expect anything less of Jake, then trying to figure out how to bring down Figgis himself.  No way would he be down with just sitting around and waiting.  Him having a picture of Amy was a nice touch.  He can be such a goofy manchild, but in a lot of ways, he really has grown.

Jorma Taccone was pretty fun.  Maya Rudolph as well.  I will defend Jake a bit, because even I couldn't remember if was actually Kate Hudson or Sarah Jessica Parker that was in Failure to Launch.  Matthew McConuaghey's romcom era kind of blends in together.  There was another one with Jennifer Garner and all those ghosts I think, too.  It was a dark time for Old McConuaghey, until the whole Oscar winner/True Detective thing.

The Ace Ventura: Pet Detective line came out of nowhere, and floored me.

While this show has definitely made fun of cities and countries before, it's slams on Florida was extra harsh at times.  Someone must not be a fan. Granted, if I was to believe the TV shows that were set in there (Dexter, Bloodline, etc.), it does seem like a dangerous place...

• Love 3

I missed the rest of the squad too but I kind of get it. Jake and Holt are cut off from them and they are miserable. Not having the squad on screen made the audience feel that void too. Plus I don't know how they could have fit them in, a lot needed to be coverd. I also wonder if they were hoping for a 1 hour premiere since this is Part 1 and Fox decided to stick to a half hour. This show likes to shake things up and I appreciate that. They've managed to resume homeostasis in other seasons reacher quickly, so I am not worried.

Anyhoozle, I found this hilarious. Jake's expression after dealing with the same snakes, Holt's horror that the power walking group meant nothing to  Jake. And everything about Holt trying not to be Holt. I felt it was a strong start to the season. 

Edited by Trillium
  • Love 7
5 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

While this show has definitely made fun of cities and countries before, it's slams on Florida was extra harsh at times.  

I think two people who love NYC would be that harsh about middle of nowhere in Florida, and even though Jake and Holt's appreciation of NYC comes from very different places, Florida is something they can agree on.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

I like that they referenced how incredibly transphobic the ending of Ace Ventura Pet Detective is.

"Classic film, one of my childhood favorites, and it only gets overtly transphobic at the very end, so, a win." Spot on assessment. Like Ace, Jake appears to be a goofy buffoon, only to disguise a very sharp mind for detective work.

Even with only Holt and Jake, I was thrilled that B99 is back.

• Love 3

I'm not sure whether this is a credit to how much I love Holt, Jake and the dynamic between the two or how relatively 'eh' I've become on many of the other characters, but I absolutely loved last night's episodes and didn't find myself missing the others at all. I actually loved the new and obviously very temporary setting. 

• Love 6

I am just so happy that this show is back. My life has just a little more light in it now. Alright, a lot more light. I just really love this show, guys. 

As much as I missed the whole squad, I get why they just focused on Holt and Jake. They spend the episode missing the squad and their lives in NYC, and so do we. While I missed the whole gang, I LOVE the Jake and Holt relationship, and I am thrilled we are getting to focus on it again. 

Poor Florida. They really are the easiest state in the union to make fun of (except maybe New Jersey), and everyone seems to take their shots in. 

The Ace Ventura line was amazing. I totally feel you, Jake. Ace Ventura is one of my favorite childhood movies, but, looking back on it, that ending is a little...questionable. I mean, it was the 90s and all, but still. 

Failure to Lunch, the movie you think about so little that you didn't even realize that I just typed Failure to Lunch instead of Failure to Launch (please dont sue me, HBO)! 

• Love 6

I will assume there will only be one episode without the rest of the cast, but I have no problem with a Jake and Holt episode. They are both such good characters, and by isolating them, it just gives the show an opportunity to add depth to their already rich relationship.

Having said that, we also got a whole bunch of great lines from them like Holt explaining the t-shirt he wore finishing with "they both threw up on it".

• Love 1

Am I wrong in thinking that Andy Samberg looks kinda hot with the frosted tips? Please tell me I'm wrong.

Oh, and welcome back, show! I was surprised by how much I'd missed you. Even though I'd thought most of last season was Just OK, I thought this episode was a welcome return to, well, not form, since 80% of the regular cast wasn't there, but B99 could just about about Holt and Peralta and I would still watch.

• Love 2

Strong unique episode. I think it takes guts to pull something like that at the beginning of the season, so kudos to the B99 team for doing so. 

I'd take the Florida references as overly harsh if they weren't so hard on New York so much of the time as well.

I'm hoping we get a couple spotty cameos from the team while things get wrapped up, but not the whole team at once as I'd like to see the dynamic play out in this case.

• Love 4

Aw, I missed the rest of the cast but I love Jake and Holt together so much.

I love how his boss totally thought he was a stoner.  So funny since of course Holt is the exact opposite.

I also loved how awkward he was with pretending to be a straight widow who was married to a "strong, female woman with nice heavy breasts."

The episode itself was only so-so but the Jake-Holt stuff was worth it.

• Love 2

As a major Holt/AB fan I enjoyed this, but I found Holt's attempts to "sound straight" uncomfortable and unfunny.  Surely Holt has talked with enough people to know how straight men talk about their wives.  A better situation, IMO, was George Takei on Big Bang Theory, giving advice on what a woman wants romantically.  Someone doubted him and he said, "I read!"  (And he was right about what the woman wanted.)

As a major Holt/AB fan I enjoyed this, but I found Holt's attempts to "sound straight" uncomfortable and unfunny.  Surely Holt has talked with enough people to know how straight men talk about their wives.

But whenever Holt tries to be somebody he's not, he always talks like that...he and Jake both. They always give way too much information and state the obvious. Like when they were talking to the walking group about having to discuss the "fence issue." So it didn't bother me.

I was so happy to see this show back.

• Love 9

"D-D-D-D-D-D-Derick" LMMFAO!! Andre Braugher is a freaking comedic gem. If he doesn't win an Emmy after this season the voters can suck it.  "Fine I petted a horse too hard". Jake placing a kiss on Amy's picture made me aww.   I loved this episode. Holt & Jake together is always magical. I can't wait to see what they have in store for the rest of the season. 

• Love 4

Yay, B99 is BACK!!! I loved having just Holt and Peralta for this ep. I like the rest of the cast, but I didn't miss them because this one was fun and funny without them.

Loved 'Larry' and 'Greg' talking about their shared fence issue.

So many great lines -- and deliveries -- from AB.

Holt: Ohio State, where I majored in… Communications.

Holt: If that woman posts her camera phone video that she took with her camera phone camera to the internet...

Holt: Where are we going to find an exterminator's outfit?
Peralta: We're going to need khaki pants and a khaki shirt.
Holt: To my casual wear closet.

Holt: I want to go home. This town is a crap circus.

I also loved Holt's response when he came into the Fun Zone and spoke to various employees, with Carly being sullen -- "Carly will be the first to go."

Holt having to put up with Peralta's insults and humiliations was great. Being nicknamed Mr Fart was pretty funny.

Hey, I noticed a pink hose coming out of the hot dog suit when Holt and Peralta are first standing together talking. I wonder if that was A/C to keep AB cool, but the camera guy screwed up by showing it.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Hey, I noticed a pink hose coming out of the hot dog suit when Holt and Peralta are first standing together talking. I wonder if that was A/C to keep AB cool, but the camera guy screwed up by showing it.

Just speculating here, but there was a "stick" coming out of the bottom as it's a corn dog suit. Would that have been it?

• Love 6
2 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Holt: Ohio State, where I majored in… Communications.

OMG. That was great.  If there were a font that represented disdain, we would need to use it for the word Communications in that quote.

• Love 8

What guy is going to have Failure to Launch as their favorite movie?!?

I've been catching up on the previous season by watching the last few episodes in reruns so I was able to slip right back into the storyline. It didn't really bother me that the rest of the cast was absent because we got tons of Holt and he's the best thing about the show IMO. The idea that the kid who ran the arcade thought he had a "stoner vibe" was hilarious.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

Jake's casual wokeness is my favorite note in his characterization. 

I was a little sad not to see the whole crew in this one, but the Holt and Jake duo is always comedy gold so it worked for me. So glad to have this show back!

• Love 6
16 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Jorma Taccone was pretty fun.  Maya Rudolph as well.  I will defend Jake a bit, because even I couldn't remember if was actually Kate Hudson or Sarah Jessica Parker that was in Failure to Launch.  Matthew McConuaghey's romcom era kind of blends in together.  There was another one with Jennifer Garner and all those ghosts I think, too.  It was a dark time for Old McConuaghey, until the whole Oscar winner/True Detective thing.

It could have been Katherine Heigl - she's in about half of the RomComs with blonde leads.  Not to get defensive, but during those dark days for Old McConnaghey, he was in a fantastic movie called Bernie that everyone should see.

Loved the shared fence, loved the heavy breasts, loved Holt having to work for Jake.

1 hour ago, meep.meep said:

he was in a fantastic movie called Bernie that everyone should see.

Oh, that movie is sooo good!

I am looking at it as Fox is easing us back into B99, starting us out with the power forwards, and hopefully, the full team will be on the court next week!

• Love 1
3 hours ago, meep.meep said:

It could have been Katherine Heigl - she's in about half of the RomComs with blonde leads.  Not to get defensive, but during those dark days for Old McConnaghey, he was in a fantastic movie called Bernie that everyone should see.

Loved the shared fence, loved the heavy breasts, loved Holt having to work for Jake.

I honestly thought Kate Hudson was in that one. Shows what I know.

On September 21, 2016 at 1:16 AM, thuganomics85 said:

I am not sure what it says about me that I know all three (I guess techincally four; he's in two with Kate Hudson) of those McConuaghey movies without having to look, but only good things I'm sure. 

The look Andre Braugher gave when conceding that the raccoon and homeless person's relationship was "probably sexual" made me laugh so hard I had to pause in order not to miss anything. And that was coming off the heels of his "birthday dance".  Before B99, I had never thought of him as a funny guy, but I am continually impressed with how great he is on the show. 

I am also impressed at how much Andy Samberg's acting has improved since the first season. When he told Holt he switched the phones and said he wouldn't contact him anymore, he sounded so defeated and sad that I actually got sad for a moment. 

I am a teensy bit surprised that Rhea Perlman agreed to be on the show in such a small role, which makes me wonder if she'll play a bigger role in part 2 and play into the Figgis plot somehow. Otherwise, it seems like such a waste of her talents to have her in 2-3 scenes where she's not doing much. 

• Love 3
19 hours ago, meep.meep said:

Not to get defensive, but during those dark days for Old McConnaghey, he was in a fantastic movie called Bernie that everyone should see.

Agreed -- MM's resume is littered with surprisingly good movies/roles, from Lone Star to Bernie and beyond.

I loved the episode, there were several moments where I laughed so hard I had to rewind.  (Even the hot tub burrito, which I had spoiled by GIF.  In context it was even funnier.)

Can someone tell me the very last line?  I watch on the network's site and, once the credits start, they immediately start a countdown and roll into the next video without regard for the fact that the tag is playing over the credits, so they always cut off the last punchline.

Edited by dusang

I don't know why, but the scene that cracked me up the most was when they pulled up to meet with Maya Rudolph and spent 5 minutes discussing how they couldn't hear each other. The quick cut to the quiet car just killed me.

• Love 7

The same thing occurred to me about Perlman. I'm sure she'll play a more important part in the next ep. I don't want to speculate, but now I can't get it out of my head.

I agree. I expect her to be Figgis' mom or something and she knew all along who the guys were. But it was good to see her.

7 hours ago, Princess Sparkle said:

I am also impressed at how much Andy Samberg's acting has improved since the first season. When he told Holt he switched the phones and said he wouldn't contact him anymore, he sounded so defeated and sad that I actually got sad for a moment. 

Same here.  Except that I've been impressed by Andy's acting all along, really.  I find him so funny, but he's also fantastic at portraying the more serious moments with great sincerity.  He makes Jake such an appealing character.

I loved this episode, and even though I missed the rest of the cast, I'm glad they just focused on Jake and Holt.  (Or should I say Greg and Larry?)  I hope the other actors didn't have a problem with it.  Seinfeld did a great episode with just Jerry and Elaine (The Pen) and if I remember correctly at least one of the other actors threatened to leave the show if they were left out again.  That caused me to lose respect for them.  In my opinion, actors are there to service the story... so if the story can be better told with only part of the cast... the show should be free to do that on occasion.

I love how B-99 takes chances, mixes things up and keeps things interesting.

PS: They actress who plays Rosa was on Modern Family last night, playing Gloria's sister.  I don't know if the episodes were filmed at the same time, but if so, she was probably happy to have the week off B-99.

• Love 5
15 hours ago, dusang said:

Can someone tell me the very last line?  I watch on the network's site and, once the credits start, they immediately start a countdown and roll into the next video without regard for the fact that the tag is playing over the credits, so they always cut off the last punchline.

Now come and get us, Figgis. 

• Love 2

Although I wasn't completely in love with this episode, I echo those who are thrilled that B99 is back! 

Don't get me wrong- there were certainly bits that tickled me quite a bit, like the aforementioned Hot Tub Burrito and Holt's "To my casual wear closet" line, as well as "Carly will be the first to go." Oh, and Jake and the snake! But as much as I adore Jake and Peralta, it's really the cast as a whole that makes this show so phenomenal.  That is just my opinion, of course.  But I'm looking forward to the show getting back to Brooklyn!

• Love 3
On 22/09/2016 at 6:00 PM, AnnaRose said:

Same here.  Except that I've been impressed by Andy's acting all along, really.  I find him so funny, but he's also fantastic at portraying the more serious moments with great sincerity.  He makes Jake such an appealing character.

I loved this episode, and even though I missed the rest of the cast, I'm glad they just focused on Jake and Holt.  (Or should I say Greg and Larry?)  I hope the other actors didn't have a problem with it.  Seinfeld did a great episode with just Jerry and Elaine (The Pen) and if I remember correctly at least one of the other actors threatened to leave the show if they were left out again.  That caused me to lose respect for them.  In my opinion, actors are there to service the story... so if the story can be better told with only part of the cast... the show should be free to do that on occasion.

I love how B-99 takes chances, mixes things up and keeps things interesting.

PS: They actress who plays Rosa was on Modern Family last night, playing Gloria's sister.  I don't know if the episodes were filmed at the same time, but if so, she was probably happy to have the week off B-99.

Holy crap, that's her?! You just blew my mind!

On 9/22/2016 at 4:30 PM, AnnaRose said:

On 7/6/2017 at 7:08 PM, Miss Dee said:

Holy crap, that's her?! You just blew my mind!

Even though I saw that episode of Modern Family before I began the Great B-99 Non-Rewatch Binge, I never made that connection either. Mind likewise blown! Stephanie Beatriz is at least two different kinds of awesome.

"Oh, hey, Groot!" I think Larry's favourite movie is not Failure to Launch, but Guardians of the Galaxy!

If it's a corndog costume, does that mean Mr. Fart has a stick up his butt?

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 1