Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E04: Meet the Parents

bigskygirl
  • Start Topic

On 9/15/2016 at 11:07 AM, toodles said:

Next week on Counting On-Jinger makes very special matching macaroni necklaces for herself and Jeremy.  It's their 16 day anniversary! It will be awesome!  Like totally.  Don't miss this very special celebration.

You had me goin' there..... :)

• Love 6

Late watching this episode and I did some fast forwarding as well as falling asleep. I have only skimmed the 7 pages of posts here as of yet and I saw a couple of mentions of the word Babe. It is now a word that will no longer be allowed to be said in my home. I'm cringed-out.

• Love 8
48 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Late watching this episode and I did some fast forwarding as well as falling asleep. I have only skimmed the 7 pages of posts here as of yet and I saw a couple of mentions of the word Babe. It is now a word that will no longer be allowed to be said in my home. I'm cringed-out.

You and me both!  Ugh!  I don't know why I find it so irritating, but I do. I guess it's the delivery. Or the gush-factor, or something....

• Love 5
10 hours ago, Jeeves said:

So three Duggars have paper certificates of graduation from "Duggar Academy" or some such thing. Do any of those three have a GED?

I recall seeing comments by leghumpers on SM claiming that the Duggar kids who are high school grad age and older, all have their GEDs, but I don't believe it.

Because a few years ago, the GED changed and is now a lot harder to pass. As much as this family disgusts me, I would be glad to know that some if not all of the 17-18 year olds (and older) kids have their GEDs. But I fear that few if any of them have one. 

I think Ben and Josiah are the last ones who got out under the old system. Although you don't even need a GED to attend community college; we have lots of high school kids who take freshman level courses. But if I were to guess, none of the present crop earned GEDs, especially given Joy's hatred of Algebra. If the GED is harder, wouldn't they be subjected to at least Geometry as well? I know the GED used to be around 9th-10th grade level work, but if they've gotten tougher, it sure isn't showing in the intellect of the younger Duggar kidults (including the twins here, since they're already "out in the world" flipping cars). 

• Love 1

Something that I haven't seen mentioned here:

I wonder what fundies say/think about wet dreams?  Guys and gals have them, so how are they explained?  Do they think wet dreams are from Satan and/or indicative of not being Godly enough?

• Love 2
14 hours ago, farmgal4 said:

Something that I haven't seen mentioned here:

I wonder what fundies say/think about wet dreams?  Guys and gals have them, so how are they explained?  Do they think wet dreams are from Satan and/or indicative of not being Godly enough?

Pray it away. (That's what I think they say, not what I say!) :)

Edited by LocalGovt

We should probably move that discussion to the religion thread so we don't get in trouble with the mods. :)

eta: My DVR picked up the Sneak Peek for next week. Just shoot me now. Jinge and Babe, chaperoned by the three "graduates" go to some lame park with activities meant for 12 year olds. It looked like TLC rented out the place for their exclusive use. Babe babbles on about the boys testing his "competitive nature." The sneak peek cuts off with a shot of Ben and Babe at a jewelry store looking at rings, but my DVR didn't catch anything (inane) that they might have said. 

Really, TLC? 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 5
15 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

We should probably move that discussion to the religion thread so we don't get in trouble with the mods. :)

eta: My DVR picked up the Sneak Peek for next week. Just shoot me now. Jinge and Babe, chaperoned by the three "graduates" go to some lame park with activities meant for 12 year olds. It looked like TLC rented out the place for their exclusive use. Babe babbles on about the boys testing his "competitive nature." The sneak peek cuts off with a shot of Ben and Babe at a jewelry store looking at rings, but my DVR didn't catch anything (inane) that they might have said. 

Really, TLC? 

Right. And now we can piece together the Mexican restaurant picture that was floating around on here a month or so ago....(the one with Ging noticeably hiding her hand, and questions about a pregnant Jessa -- before she made her "double the love" announcement).

• Love 1

Besides the horrible, HIGH-PITCHED Baaaaaaabeeee!, I also could not stand to watch Cringe's constant WIDE, open mouthed shocked expression.  See Babe, mouth opens wide!  See his AMAZING apartment, mouth opens wide!  See the flowers, mouth opens wide!  See the magnificent chapel, mouth opens wide!  The bestest wide-mouthed Cringe is on the sneak preview where Babe serves her meal.

• Love 11
3 minutes ago, louannems said:

Besides the horrible, HIGH-PITCHED Baaaaaaabeeee!, I also could not stand to watch Cringe's constant WIDE, open mouthed shocked expression.  See Babe, mouth opens wide!  See his AMAZING apartment, mouth opens wide!  See the flowers, mouth opens wide!  See the magnificent chapel, mouth opens wide!  The bestest wide-mouthed Cringe is on the sneak preview where Babe serves her meal.

I wonder if she and Michelle had "mouth wide open/shocked surprise" lessons in front of the  mirror...

• Love 4

I cannot wait for Jeremy to have his first real Italian argument with his in-laws.   Something tells me that it has been years since JB and Michelle have had actual raised voices and flat out refusals in return to one of their ultimatums. And, I bet the only child to try it was Jessa.  This man is 29, a good 5 years older and a lot more mature than Derick when he met Jill.   Derick had a college degree, and two years of nomadic life in Nepal, most probably in a shared dorm type room.  Jeremy has a real apartment,  bills, and has truly lived on his own.  He knows he doesn't have to answer to JB once the wedding is over- he doesn't truly have to answer to him before if he's willing to take the risk that Jinger will cancel the engagement. 

• Love 13

TLC has a new webisode up, called Laredo Shopping http://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/jill-jessa-counting-on/counting-on-videos/laredo-shopping/

Jing and Babe and all 4 parents are shopping in a "legit" (per Jing) Mexican doodads store. At one point, Jing and Babe put on big sombreros and Boob and MEchelle take pics of them. And then MEchelle says, "They are a sombrero apart," referencing (I guess) how Jing and Babe are maintaining a proper distance from each other. WTF is she so worried about that all the time??

Also, Boob tries to make fun of Babe by putting a basket on Babe's head and saying something jerky about it, but Babe and Jing pretty much ignore Boob and just take it off.

I'm really enjoying how Jing doesn't even look at her parents when Babe is around. It's such a burn on B&M!  Jing has truly gone crazy, but it's fun to see her ignore her idiotic parents.

Babe's parents seem pretty uptight, but I suppose it may their discomfort with the TV cameras.

Edited by OpieTaylor
  • Love 7

Jeremy must not be making jack squat at that plant church, because I just browsed Laredo housing on CL and you can get two bedroom condos with granite and stainless steel for around $800/mo. Maybe the church gives him free housing, who knows, but his place reminded me of the apartments you live in your first year out of college. It wasn't a shit hole but it definitely didn't warrant Jinger's excessive gasps of amazement.

• Love 7

I think the fact that Jeremy had an apartment of his own wowed Jinger, never mind its size. Think about it, she probably had never met a man who lived on his own in her life before him- pretty much, everyone in their circles lives with parents until marriage.

I also think she calls Jeremy "babe" not only as a term of endearment, but to grate on Jim Bob's nerves. It's her quiet way or rebelling. Go Jinger!

• Love 15
6 hours ago, doodlebug said:

I'm an OB/GYN and can verify that statement.  Over the years, I've had multiple fundies, including pastors' daughters (at least 2 that I remember) come to me with unplanned pregnancies wanting to terminate. I don't do the procedure, but did refer them appropriately.  In each case, the daughter and her parents were very careful to tell me that they believed abortion was wrong and sinful, but, you see, they were a special case, they had no choice ('The Only Moral Abortion is My Abortion' excellent essay http://www.prochoiceactionnetwork-canada.org/articles/anti-tales.shtml,).  In one case, the girl (a 20 year old attending Bible college) and her pastor father sat there while her mother explained to me that she simply had to have an abortion because, otherwise, when the congregation found out she was pregnant, Pastor Daddy would lose his job.  I think there's another very good reason why he should lose his job, but they didn't seem to notice that one.

That's really too bad.  I knew of a congregation whose assistant pastor's daughter got pregnant; he confessed to the whole church and apologized for being a bad example and volunteered to step down.  He was very popular and the congregation apparently paled, quailed, and demurred his offer, but I think his handling was about the only honorable way to go.  So, ironic that your patient's family didn't choose honesty - his congregation might have voted to keep him regardless of this lapse.

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, louannems said:

Their is also a whole TLC webcast dedicated to Cringe's use of BAAAABE!

JB also throws a punch at Jeremy when he announces, at the Mexican doodad store, that they don't have a dress in Jeremy's size.  WTF?

Typical, juvenile-type comment.  It's because Jeremy was going through the dresses, trying to find one for Jing.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, BitterApple said:

Jeremy must not be making jack squat at that plant church, because I just browsed Laredo housing on CL and you can get two bedroom condos with granite and stainless steel for around $800/mo. Maybe the church gives him free housing, who knows, but his place reminded me of the apartments you live in your first year out of college. It wasn't a shit hole but it definitely didn't warrant Jinger's excessive gasps of amazement.

With that gigantic bed and tiny closet, where the hell is Cringe going to put all of her thrift shop finds? Girlfriend has a TON of clothes. Unlike Blessa and Jill, you never see her repeat an outfit. Poor Babe's clothes will be relegated to about ten inches of closet space, and they will need a dresser. That walk-in was not big enough for one. Babe is going to have to downsize that bed, probably down to a queen to get a decent sized dresser for two in that tiny bedroom. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 2
35 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I'm watching the episode now on demand, and I have to say Jeremy has a nice body under that blue shirt. The curve of his bicep and pecs were defrauding me.

Get it Jinger!

Oh she's going to. She's going to get all of it. That's what's driving the Boob nuts! 

• Love 9
4 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

If you're a fan at all of the show The Office, and have a way to watch past episodes - watch/rewatch the one called "Dinner Party", babe.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

@queenanne excellent article, thank you. 

I think I want to call Jinger "Cringer".

i think she was enthralled with Jeremy's place because unmarrieds living on their own is not even allowed  to be thought about in the Duggarverse

To be fair I think 'twas doodlebug who fetched it and just my quote highlighting it forward - props where they go, and all :)

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Really, TLC? 

Well, they already did a "high school graduation" party that was in reality a mommy-and-me party for five-year-olds. So the childishness appears to be a theme. Looking at the Duggar kidults, I can see why such things occur to the producers.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

eta: My DVR picked up the Sneak Peek for next week. Just shoot me now. Jinge and Babe, chaperoned by the three "graduates" go to some lame park with activities meant for 12 year olds.

My DVR did the same favor.  I felt like I've already seen 90% of the episode.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, WescottF1 said:

If you're a fan at all of the show The Office, and have a way to watch past episodes - watch/rewatch the one called "Dinner Party", babe.

A nightmare TV reference came to me today: an old season of the Real Housewives of OC. Golddigger Lauri (known as Whori for many reasons) snagged her Wallet. It was an entire season of these middle aged morons calling each other Babe to the point that you forgot their real names. They simply became known as Babe and Babe, and it really didn't matter which one you were talking about. It was disgusting. 

• Love 6

I finally watched it all, random things I noticed, highly likely others have mentioned but been working full time for 4 weeks so time to scroll is limited :)  

1. Jinger and Jeremy make me want to turn it off, they so need to go and find a room and get over all that "potentially" pent up sexual tension.  Their lust for each other is so over the top.

2. Jim Bob is a right royal wanker (sorry, I have no other words).  He treated Jeremy like crap and in front of his parents!  What a dick!  

3.  I am not sure whether it was my computer or the youtube video I watched, but I have no idea what Michelle said at the "fake - grift for presents" graduation party, her voice was seriously this monotone of high pitched squeakiness.  I wonder if anyone else could understand? 

4.  Anna seems to be missing in action, I saw a couple of the M-kids at the graduation, but I didn't see Anna.  I hope she isn't pregnant!  Josh is a slimy slimy man.

5.  Michelle is so checked out of her kids lives.  Jana had to plan the graduation at Joy's request!  WTF?  Joy had to request her own party?  

6.  Flying...poor JD, he had to take Joy for a pretend lesson, because she seemed to have no clue.  I really like JD and Jana.  I used to like Joy too, until she sold out...help Mum at home with the kids.  Mum does jack shit, get out while you can Joy!  

• Love 12

I'm not sure if the Germ-yBabe has defiled his Duggar Bride to be yet.  But Jinje does seem to have gone through a sudden awakening of sorts.  Wouldn't it be rich if whatever Germ-yBabe, the masturbating reviler,  has evoked in her has left Jinje to stay at home and grind her own bean instead of joining the rest for their several trips to the local Starbucks to get a more sedate and prim buzz?

And since experience does a not a good lover make, Germ-yBabe could be an awful lay no matter how much he thrills her vicariously now, and has thrilled himself in the past.  Jinje might just be giddy on lust and having an idea of how good it can be thanks to her own imagination or body.  Plus it has all the realization pending in a way that likely adds lots of frisson to Jinje's libido.   I think a lot of that little chemistry that she had with Bin was simply from being around a healthy active male her own age that didn't all look alike.  Because the pics from those conferences they attend do seem to produce plenty of creepy look alike clans of siblings.   She is a healthy (relatively speaking with that diet of theirs, lack of any real exercise and who knows what kind of hygiene that house maintains) young woman in her twenties and she wants to be laid. 

But that giddiness could all come to a crashing end if and when Germ-yBabe proves to be a selfish and way too succinct roll in the sack.   I'm pretty sure that the Jinje was a path he picked in terms of landing a Duggar bride longer than the show will ever reveal.  But I do wonder what kind of dating he experienced.  29 years old and he has traveled and been to school and yet despite some self-flagellation over past sins, he seems like the only difference he might have over Derrick is that he had sex but has had the same number of actual relationships.  Or even second fucks with the same person.  Maybe it is really easy to label and condemn it as a sin if you suck at it and don't get a call-back.  Ever.

I'm not sure about the idea that Jinje is all giddy from Germ-yBabe  changing her lightbulb.   I think he just showed her where the switch was and she is just as fascinated flipping it herself as she was with the apartment built for one. 

Edited by tenativelyyours
  • Love 10
12 hours ago, OpieTaylor said:

Jing and Babe and all 4 parents are shopping in a "legit" (per Jing) Mexican doodads store. At one point, Jing and Babe put on big sombreros and Boob and MEchelle take pics of them. And then MEchelle says, "They are a sombrero apart," referencing (I guess) how Jing and Babe are maintaining a proper distance from each other. WTF is she so worried about that all the time??

Why was she so worried about Ben and Jessa holding hands in a holding-hands prayer circle in which each of them was also holding hands with someone else?!!!

Why was Boob so worried about Derick and Jill walking next to each other on a public street in Kathmandu in the middle of the afternoon?!!!!

Because they are insane. Seriously. There's no other adequate explanation.

• Love 22
47 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

Why was she so worried about Ben and Jessa holding hands in a holding-hands prayer circle in which each of them was also holding hands with someone else?!!!

Why was Boob so worried about Derick and Jill walking next to each other on a public street in Kathmandu in the middle of the afternoon?!!!!

Because they are insane. Seriously. There's no other adequate explanation.

Insane, or control freaks who think the only way to make sure your kids grow up the way you think they should is to control their every waking (and nonwaking) moments.  I had friends who did that with their daughter.  Boy,did it blow up in their faces.  She did one year of college, and then threw it all away to move to the boonies with a semi-employed guy who promptly got her pregnant.  She is now living the kind of life her parents so desperately tried to keep her from.  Funny how that worked out.

• Love 9

I finally watched the past two episodes and boy, y'all weren't kidding!  I find Jinger to just be simpering and silly, like a pre-teen.  It's painful to watch.  She was so checked out on the Wild episode and checked back in on the exciting (not!) visit to Laredo.  Jeremy's parents were mostly quiet as JB made a total fool of himself pissing all over the place to mark "his" territory.  Oddly, I found Michelle to be quiet and she seemed more encouraging about Jeremy and Jinger (a couple of "awwwws" are my evidence).  That said, I hope that the marriage does take place.  It's Jinger's ticket out of crazy land.  Her comments about "awkward" JB show that she has already checked out of that part of her life.  I hope that Jeremy isn't as awful as some here are worried he will be.  He's clearly acting for the cameras, but I hope that's out of an effort to please rather than a long con to hurt this foolish young woman.  

• Love 8

I'll be glad when they get married and Jinger can move from the Duggar cult and start seeing what real life is about.  I think she'll love it.  It is my hope that Jeremy will expose her to a lot of things she had no clue she was missing out on.  

Derrick is a little bit like JimBob - it's all about him and what he wants.  He spends 3-4 hours preparing one sermon while his wife is suffering from homesickness and postpartum depression.  He needs to send her home for a couple of months.  He's so wrapped up in what he feels is God's calling on his life to the detriment of everyone else around him.  Plus he looks like he stinks. 

They actually believe another baby would help Jill.  Oh sure, they "say" another child is because they don't want Izzy to be an only - but I believe Jill has expressed her feelings to him privately and he convinced her that another baby would take care of the problem.

See, my problem is that he can't adequately (financially) take care of the family he has.  When they lived in Arkansas Jill was happy.  Her husband went to work everyday, she lived in a mcmansion (okay daddy provided it, but still...), her sisters were close by, she had dinner ready when he got home etc.  Basically, that's all she (and all the girls) ever wanted out of life.  But Derrick nipped that in the bud with this "mission" trip.  I thought his mom was battling serious cancer.  She was when they got married.  I'd want to be at least in driving distance of my mom who was so sick when I got married that she had to attend the wedding in a wheelchair, and he only has one sibling who adores him.  There are hundreds of ways he could serve God and make a meaningful impact right here in USA.  Maybe he feels he has to "suffer" in order for ministry to be meaningful.  Let me tell ya Derrick, your wife is definitely suffering.  You seem to be feeling pretty cool, with your wild beard, man bun and BO.  You didn't look like that when Jill fell in love with you, what on earth makes you think she would love the way you look now.  

Plus he looks like he stinks.  

• Love 16
50 minutes ago, Evagirl said:

Derrick is a little bit like JimBob - it's all about him and what he wants.  He spends 3-4 hours preparing one sermon while his wife is suffering from homesickness and postpartum depression.  He needs to send her home for a couple of months.  He's so wrapped up in what he feels is God's calling on his life to the detriment of everyone else around him.  Plus he looks like he stinks. 

They actually believe another baby would help Jill.  Oh sure, they "say" another child is because they don't want Izzy to be an only - but I believe Jill has expressed her feelings to him privately and he convinced her that another baby would take care of the problem.

See, my problem is that he can't adequately (financially) take care of the family he has.  When they lived in Arkansas Jill was happy.  Her husband went to work everyday, she lived in a mcmansion (okay daddy provided it, but still...), her sisters were close by, she had dinner ready when he got home etc.  Basically, that's all she (and all the girls) ever wanted out of life.  But Derrick nipped that in the bud with this "mission" trip.  I thought his mom was battling serious cancer.  She was when they got married.  I'd want to be at least in driving distance of my mom who was so sick when I got married that she had to attend the wedding in a wheelchair, and he only has one sibling who adores him.  There are hundreds of ways he could serve God and make a meaningful impact right here in USA.  Maybe he feels he has to "suffer" in order for ministry to be meaningful.  Let me tell ya Derrick, your wife is definitely suffering.  You seem to be feeling pretty cool, with your wild beard, man bun and BO.  You didn't look like that when Jill fell in love with you, what on earth makes you think she would love the way you look now.  

Plus he looks like he stinks.  

Taking my response to the Dillard topic.

• Love 1

It's here. Scroll down a little bit to move past the sub-forums.

Also, at the bottom of the page is the breadcrumb trail where it says (bottom left of page) Home>Shows and More>#>19 Kids and Counting (and then the rest for this topic, but if you click on 19 Kids and Counting it will take you to the main page linked above)

• Love 2
On 9/14/2016 at 9:27 AM, LocalGovt said:

My DIL (aged ~24 at the time) made my son an Alabama/Ohio string art like that, when he was stationed at LRAFB and she was here.  I thought it was sweet, and creative. :)

That is sweet. I would be touched if somebody cared enough about me to make me something.  I don't understand why somebody would be mad if someone made them something like that and I'd sure as hell never get that person another gift, ever.  I'd be touched. 

• Love 3
On September 13, 2016 at 9:47 PM, EmeraldGirl said:

John David actually seems rather sweet. I'm guessing he's grown up out of his dumb stage. I guess I've liked him ever since he declared that he no longer looks up to his brother. I wonder how that relationship is going.

Me too. Probably because it's the most honest thing any Duggar has ever said. Also Josh is gross. 

• Love 11

Back when my nephew was 15 his girlfriend was 14 and she was much more aggressive than he was. They had already been dating for like 2 years (and are still together, he's 21 and she'll be 20 next week). She was so all over him, think Anna's hand sex and Jinger's hungry eyes, my mom described her as a cat in heat. Jinger has reached cat in heat levels, complete with her baaaaabbbbbeeee caterwauling. Poor Jing isn't going to be able to walk straight for a week once they get going and Jeremy better make sure he's well hydrated to keep up with her. 

I'm not sure I 100% trust Jeremy's intentions aren't fame based, but I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt until I can see them without her parents lurking around. He's certainly not the first man to go for a woman much younger and unworldly, and he won't be the last. I want to hold on to a shred of hope that he won't become JimBob's lackey, but that shred is getting smaller and smaller. 

Was Jinger's reaction to the apartment a bit much? Yes it was, but I also think she instantly pictured herself living there and was thrilled with it. I can only imagine what JB's views on renting an apartment are, especially a 1 room apartment, so who knows what lines of crap she's been fed. And honestly, I hope Jinger goes wild in the thrift store for a few weeks after she gets married. Or better yet, a real store and gets herself some stuff that hasn't been worn or used by others and doesn't need to be shared with anyone else. 

• Love 9

I've seen about half of this episode. Baaaaaaaaaabe must be exorcized. It's worse than aaaaaaand.

I want a light that goes on automatically when the closet door is opened, lol. See there was something to compliment in the apartment! I am surprised they showed the bed though. And no remark from Jim Bob about future grandchildren. 

Edited by ginger90
  • Love 4