Type keyword(s) to search

Season 4 Discussion

• Start Topic

On 8/23/2016 at 9:46 AM, Pepper Mostly said:

He didn't get her a $70,000 bag. He got her a bracelet for a tiny fraction of that.

The bag was a *mere* $10,000.  Not to nitpick...

I've heard some people say that Matt refers to himself in the third person.  Am I missing something? I didn't hear him do that.

• Love 2

Azan is in shock at her size. While he likes her it will be hard to find a camel to carry her. His culture does not approve of PDA and her pawing drives him crazy. Her holding on to him loos so desperate-like whatsherface and Mohammed.

When I was in Morrocco a few years back we had to wear long sleeves and pants and we were stared at like crazy.

• Love 2

This show is making Americans look like fools and desperate people. And foreigners to look like total scammers and opportunists. Ugh, it is hurting every honest person who is in a real intercultural relationship. On top o that, they continue to bring children into the mix. Sad.

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, Passthepopcorn said:

This show is making Americans look like fools and desperate people. And foreigners to look like total scammers and opportunists. Ugh, it is hurting every honest person who is in a real intercultural relationship. On top o that, they continue to bring children into the mix. Sad.

So very well said.  

• Love 2

I know it is not popular to intervene in your children's affairs after they are 18 in America. But if I was Nichole's parents there is no way I would have let her go who knows where, to meet who knows who. She would have gotten the most serious and eye opening talk of her life!! You are a mother, a single mother. Something happens to you, your child becomes an orphan. Even if she has other family members that love her. And financially? You choose to use your money (your single parent money) to go on a 5 week trip with some guy? And your absence? Do you think a 2 year old can possibly process what is going on? And the irresponsibility to bring him to her home? 

If you don't grow up now, that there is someone so innocent and helpless who depends on you, then when?

Crazy!

• Love 11
1 hour ago, KateHearts said:

The bag was a *mere* $10,000.  Not to nitpick...

I've heard some people say that Matt refers to himself in the third person.  Am I missing something? I didn't hear him do that.

Matt said something about his mother being Matt's biggest fan, and when he decided it was time to leave for the airport to pick up Alla, it was "time for Matt to go."

• Love 2

After watching too much my 600lb life, could Jorge's feminine looks come from excess estrogen from being overweight? 

Jorge started talking about going shopping right after she got off the plane. It is like they had nothing else to do or talk about? Or maybe he just wants to impress her so she won't spend her 89 days away from him? I just can't see anything they have in common besides sex and spending money? What could they possibly talk about at dinner except what he is going to buy her next.

Nicole's story is sad to watch. Worse then Danielle's story. Nicole's parents should not have helped her. She Seems like she is stuck as a teenager but living on her own. From all appearances and I hate to judge , nicole is on welfare. The cost is not just her 5 week trip but someone has to sponsor her finace in this country. Danielle talked about the cost and it was near 10k. It depends on how long before the green card is given but you have to have funds and prove you can support the person until the green card is issued. I have a hard time believing Nicole had savings for this trip and for sponsorship. The whole aspect of her having a 2 year old daughter and bringing a stranger in , just shows her priorities. I was a divorced mom with a two year old ( years ago), and when I was ready to date , every choice I made I thought about my child over myself. I kind of hope TLC 100% marriage record is broken and this couple doesn't make it to the altar. 

Edited by silverspoons
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Passthepopcorn said:

I know it is not popular to intervene in your children's affairs after they are 18 in America. But if I was Nichole's parents there is no way I would have let her go who knows where, to meet who knows who. She would have gotten the most serious and eye opening talk of her life!! You are a mother, a single mother. Something happens to you, your child becomes an orphan. Even if she has other family members that love her. And financially? You choose to use your money (your single parent money) to go on a 5 week trip with some guy? And your absence? Do you think a 2 year old can possibly process what is going on? And the irresponsibility to bring him to her home? 

If you don't grow up now, that there is someone so innocent and helpless who depends on you, then when?

Crazy!

It's not right to intervene in your children's life when they are adults.  However, I can see Nicole's parents trying to get custody of her daughter.  As I said previously, I don't like the idea of Nicole bringing a strange man into her home, to be with her young daughter.   At least the US has a sex offender registry and you can do background checks here.  I'm not sure if you can do the same with someone you met overseas.

• Love 3

I truly believe that Nicole is intellectually challenged in a clinical sense and should be supervised at all times when life and limb may be in jeopardy.  The precious little daughter is probably in much better hands with the aunt.  Am unsure Nicole works for a living.  My sense is she may qualify for disability benefits.  Perhaps her parents and extended family "coddle" her because they feel sorry for her deficits and want the best for her.  Luckily that film crew is by her side in Morocco; however, when the film crew goes back to the hotel each night, that's when I fear Nicole might get into trouble with the "fiance" and/or other locals.

• Love 5
55 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

It's not right to intervene in your children's life when they are adults.  However, I can see Nicole's parents trying to get custody of her daughter.  As I said previously, I don't like the idea of Nicole bringing a strange man into her home, to be with her young daughter.   At least the US has a sex offender registry and you can do background checks here.  I'm not sure if you can do the same with someone you met overseas.

She is not acting like an adult. It is called tough love. In this case it seems highly needed. Coming from a parent, a best friend, a mentor whoever cares about her and her daughter. They'll make their own mistakes, but at least someone should put some sense into her bubble.

Getting custody of her daughter would be the biggest form of intervening. I'd rather give her the chance to grow up and step up as a mother.

• Love 2

We saw a handful of minutes of Nicole's parents. I'd wager a guess that they have talked to her at length off camera. But she's a self centered self focused grown child who admits that she routinely makes bad decisions. She doesn't live with either parent. She lives in section 8 housing with her daughter. If they were coddling her, she'd be living with one of them. They don't want to alienate her and not see their grand-daughter.  Only so much you can do with an adult child.

• Love 10

They can give her a good talking to, but that is all Nicole's parents can do.   They are not getting custody of the child.   It is really hard for grandparents to get custody.   Taking off to see a guy for 5 weeks does not even come close to meeting the required standard.   Custody is between the parents, grandparents are treated as third parties and have very little rights.   For more information, read Troxel a United States Supreme Court that basically told grandparents to stop telling the parents how to raise the grandkids.

• Love 7

is it just me or does anyone else think that Jorge is really Jorgina? I really think that his/her secret is that he used to be a she and has transitioned or is still in the process. The facial features are very fem.

what do i know

I think Jorge looks completely male to me. Although, it's easy to confuse the fact because he seems so delighted in getting emasculated on national television.

His secret might be that he's into being dominated but if that were the case, she's obviously already in on it. The secret seemed like something that he was going to have to reveal to her.

I don't think it's that he's broke because he keeps talking about how much money he's going to have to make.

Maybe he's bulimic or something.... I'm brainstorming here....

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Neurochick said:

Before the K1 visa is issued the foreign fiance has to go through a thorough background check, which is then sent to the USCIS along with a thick pile of other documents stating their identity, whereabouts and workplaces for the last five years etc. So if there is anything shady in their background, but not enough to deny the visa, it will be registered in the US as well.

• Love 2

After watching too much my 600lb life, could Jorge's feminine looks come from excess estrogen from being overweight? 

Jorge started talking about going shopping right after she got off the plane. It is like they had nothing else to do or talk about? Or maybe he just wants to impress her so she won't spend her 89 days away from him? I just can't see anything they have in common besides sex and spending money? What could they possibly talk about at dinner except what he is going to buy her next.

Nicole's story is sad to watch. Worse then Danielle's story. Nicole's parents should not have helped her. She Seems like she is stuck as a teenager but living on her own. From all appearances and I hate to judge , nicole is on welfare. The cost is not just her 5 week trip but someone has to sponsor her finace in this country. Danielle talked about the cost and it was near 10k. It depends on how long before the green card is given but you have to have funds and prove you can support the person until the green card is issued. I have a hard time believing Nicole had savings for this trip and for sponsorship. The whole aspect of her having a 2 year old daughter and bringing a stranger in , just shows her priorities. I was a divorced mom with a two year old ( years ago), and when I was ready to date , every choice I made I thought about my child over myself. I kind of hope TLC 100% marriage record is broken and this couple doesn't make it to the altar. 

To his credit, Jorge is way more ambulatory than those people on my 600 lbs.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, mattysmama said:

is it just me or does anyone else think that Jorge is really Jorgina? I really think that his/her secret is that he used to be a she and has transitioned or is still in the process. The facial features are very fem.

Yes, some here are speculating about that. I thought I might be the case until I realized that Jorge is very tall and broad-shouldered - not that a physical female can't be tall and broad-shouldered, but it wasn't quite adding up. Jorge does look a lot like a tall Chaz Bono.

10 hours ago, Lola16 said:

We saw a handful of minutes of Nicole's parents. I'd wager a guess that they have talked to her at length off camera. But she's a self centered self focused grown child who admits that she routinely makes bad decisions. She doesn't live with either parent. She lives in section 8 housing with her daughter. If they were coddling her, she'd be living with one of them. They don't want to alienate her and not see their grand-daughter.  Only so much you can do with an adult child.

You are probably right. I don't know how she was raised, but if they didn't teach her from an early age to think and foresee consequences or to be responsible without bailing her out every time, then 22 is kind of late :/

• Love 1
On 9/12/2016 at 9:02 PM, LaChavalina said:

Jorge's "secret" is clearly about money. He says he's been with Anifisa only about a year and spent $70K on her, then he went out and bought the new car. He basically said in episode 1 that he's banking on weed becoming legal everywhere for business to take off... I think he's overdrawn or will be very soon.

I agree. I think he is in debt up to his eyeballs. He probably just goes and gets another credit card whenever he needs some $$.

On 9/12/2016 at 9:11 PM, sleepyjean said:

Jorge is too old to be this dumb. Unlike others, I don't doubt that he was born a man, because Anfisa is clearly leading him around by the twig and berries. I can't figure out if he is completely lacking in foresight, or if he thinks she'll change. Because the way she behaves now will not be cute when they've got a couple of kids, when she's lost that bangin' body, when his business isn't doing so well, and when he asks if she could maybe run the vacuum for ten minutes since she's home all day.

Chantal is a puzzle to me. I'd really like to know what she was up to between 18 and 25 that she is just now in community college. Also, as far as I can tell, her parents are pretty sharp. How then, can they possibly believe the horsesh!t that Chantal's Dominican boyfriend, who barely speaks English, is going to come here, shack up with her daughter, learn to be an aviation mechanic, and then take off back home and that's all it is. Pedro isn't an exhange student, he's her sex buddy. And it seems pretty clear Chantal hasn't thought this through. She's leaving herself no time to plan a wedding, and her folks seem like the type who will expect a wedding. Is she planning to pop over to a Justice of the Peace on day 89? 

There is no way Anfisa is going to stick around long enough to produce any children with Jorge. I can't imagine either one of them wanting kids in the mix in any case. If she did pop out a baby or two,(to keep the cashflow up in the form of child support when she flees from Jorge's sweaty embrace) she would demand nannies and housekeepers.

As for Chantal, my theory was that she probably went to college for a year or so, couldn't settle to anything, so she dropped out to work for awhile. She probably worked at some different jobs that 20-somethings work at, in an office, in retail or at a restaurant, in addition to working with her mother. She could have a degree in something else, even. There's no reason to think she's been eating bon bons and doing her nails for the last 6 years. She had enough money to go visit DR several times. Her family seem to be go-getters, I doubt they'd tolerate much slacking.

On 9/13/2016 at 9:17 AM, Major Bigtime said:

I don't know why Nicole's parents haven't stopped her. Maybe they all wanted to be on TV. Maybe they do want her to see what a fool she's being. This is not going to end well.

When I was 22 I was working as a bartender and my mother's aunt was scandalized that that was how I was making my living. "you let her?" she asked. My mother just said "what do you mean, let her? She's 22 years old, she's out on her own. I don't have anything to say about it!" Granted, I wasn't as dumb and naive as Nicole (not quite, anyway, LOL). My son is 22 now. He's an adult and makes his own decisions. If he was about to do something as hare-brained as dash halfway around the world chasing some dream princess I'd talk to him about it, in clear, strong language, of course. But I wouldn't be able to stop him. I'm sure Nicole's parents are losing sleep and worried, but they can't keep her from doing what she wants. They didn't keep her from chasing off to Texas to be with some guy she met on the internet, either. And yeah, its not going to end well. I have a feeling that not a lot is going to end well for poor silly, naive Nicole.

• Love 7

'Murica's greatest train wreck is backkkk! I've missed making party with you ladies and gents. Oh where to begin?! (What's my drinking game phrase this season? Last season it was ex-wife.)

Nicole...Justin Bieber said it best. "Maybe you should go and love yourself." She's admitted to making rash decisions and it's just sad watching her. She's obviously being taken for a ride, and she needs to be better. I can't say anything other than what's already been said. You are all right. That comment about her body just bothered me big time. He's sooo not into her.

Chantal/Pedro...she reminds me of Hilary from The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. Summer fling doesn't always translate to marriage material. Idk about him. 

Jorge and Anfisa. She's gonna take him to the cleaners. He has spent $70k in a year. Wow. He's stupid. 

Edited by Drogo
Removed Happily Ever After comments.
  • Love 7
4 minutes ago, AussieBabe said:

'Murica's greatest train wreck is backkkk! I've missed making party with you ladies and gents. Oh where to begin?! (What's my drinking game phrase this season? Last season it was ex-wife.)

I think this season its going to be "she's crazy!" (followed by a sheepish, shit eating grin). Just a hunch.

• Love 7
16 minutes ago, AussieBabe said:

Chantal/Pedro...she reminds me of Hilary from The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. Summer fling doesn't always translate to marriage material. Idk about him. 

Yes! That's exactly what I said to Mr. Wovenloaf, but he supposedly didn't watch Fresh Prince and didn't know what I was talking about, ha. Particularly her snooty mannerisms when she was having Pedro open all the doors and pull out the chair for her at that restaurant. (Not that opening doors and pulling out chairs is weird...it's that she seemed like she was just standing still with a snooty look on her face until he did it...) 

Edited by wovenloaf
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, Passthepopcorn said:

You are probably right. I don't know how she was raised, but if they didn't teach her from an early age to think and foresee consequences or to be responsible without bailing her out every time, then 22 is kind of late :/

You can teach, you can preach, but it's up to the other person to learn.  The other 2 kids seem to have some sense in their heads. Don't think we can lay the blame of Nicole solely on her parents.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Lola16 said:

You can teach, you can preach, but it's up to the other person to learn.  The other 2 kids seem to have some sense in their heads. Don't think we can lay the blame of Nicole solely on her parents.

There's one in every family that decides to do whatever they want, consequences be damned. Nicole just doesn't strike me as the brighest bulb.

• Love 7
12 hours ago, Lirienda said:

Before the K1 visa is issued the foreign fiance has to go through a thorough background check, which is then sent to the USCIS along with a thick pile of other documents stating their identity, whereabouts and workplaces for the last five years etc. So if there is anything shady in their background, but not enough to deny the visa, it will be registered in the US as well.

well thank goodness for that!

On 9/12/2016 at 6:21 PM, Neurochick said:

I don't know why people feel that forcing someone to do what you want them to do will work.  Just like drug addiction, if someone isn't ready to stop, they won't; no matter how many interventions you have.  If Nicole didn't go to Morocco, she would have found another man in another country.  I think it's good that Nicole is going, accompanied by a camera crew, of course.  

• Love 1
Just now, Matias130 said:
On 9/12/2016 at 6:21 PM, Neurochick said:

I don't know why people feel that forcing someone to do what you want them to do will work.  Just like drug addiction, if someone isn't ready to stop, they won't; no matter how many interventions you have.  If Nicole didn't go to Morocco, she would have found another man in another country.  I think it's good that Nicole is going, accompanied by a camera crew, of course.  

As a parent, there is no way I would take a passive approach here and "let em learn from their mistakes". You let your child fall down when they learn to walk, you dont drive them to the airport to meet an internet boyfriend. Some parents take the passive approach to their child with drug addiction and end up with a dead child. I dont care how old the child is if they are 13 or 30. Where I was raised, children always listen and respect their parents even as they grow older, and if they are making a stupid, immature, possibly life altering decision the parents should 100% intervene. Thats just my opinion though. Because it looks like Nicole needs a LOT of help whether she is "ready" for it or not.  

• Love 5
On 9/14/2016 at 11:53 AM, Pepper Mostly said:

I'm sure Nicole's parents are losing sleep and worried, but they can't keep her from doing what she wants. 

But here's the thing: they can refuse to enable her stupid decisions by agreeing to raise her child for five weeks, help her monetarily (and I'm sure in some way, shape or form they do) so that she can "do what she wants"- something no one with a child and a right mind can do just because they are an adult.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, KateHearts said:

But here's the thing: they can refuse to enable her stupid decisions by agreeing to raise her child for five weeks, help her monetarily (and I'm sure in some way, shape or form they do) so that she can "do what she wants"- something no one with a child and a right mind can do just because they are an adult.

Her parents aren't raising her child for 5 weeks, her older sister is keeping May.

• Love 2
22 hours ago, Major Bigtime said:

There's one in every family that decides to do whatever they want, consequences be damned. Nicole just doesn't strike me as the brighest bulb.

That is why I went straight into parent/child mode. I couldn't help it. I know that a 22 year old is perfectly capable of being independent and taking care of oneself, for the most part. But I see this girl and I feel I'm in front of a 12/14 year old. It's hard to remember she is a young adult.

• Love 4
  On 9/14/2016 at 3:52 PM, Lola16 said:

I think Nicole has just barely gotten past the idea that Justin Bieber is not going to jump off his life size poster and leap down onto her bed and have sex with her unexercised ass in the middle of the night.

It's going to take her a whole lot longer to realize Azan's not into her either. And five weeks in Morocco is going to be a long time for her. Not having read about the country, she might well be expecting his parents to helplessly throw up their hands while he takes her into his bedroom. Not happening. Nope.

Also, it's harder to find readily accessible snacky stuff over there.

"Honey! I can't sweeten my food with honey! It's all gooey! Bring me Skittles!"

• Love 14

Since she appears totally clueless about the cultural and/or religious differences, does Nicole have any idea she won't be consummating this relationship with Azan before the marriage (that is, if it ever happens?) 

Well, there goes my theory about "no sex before marriage" with those two...

Edited by magemaud
I stand corrected!
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, CoolMom said:

Her parents aren't raising her child for 5 weeks, her older sister is keeping May.

again, enabling by older, more mature family members of someone who is making poor decisions- not for herself, but involving a tiny child.  And I am certain that the parents will be very involved in taking care of May while Nicole is in Morocco (where's THAT??!!)

Edited by KateHearts
  • Love 3
  2 hours ago, CoolMom said:

again, enabling by older, more mature family members of someone who is making poor decisions- not for herself, but involving a tiny child.

That's what's hard to watch. It would be devastating for a child that young to be without Mom for 5 weeks, especially since Dad is out of the picture!

• Love 7
On 9/12/2016 at 3:53 PM, ChristmasJones said:

I'm wondering why Nicole's family - who all seem so opposed to these shenanigans - didn't just say to her "no, we are not going to watch your daughter for five weeks. It is completely delusional for you to be flying to Africa to meet a man off the internet, and we are not going to support your delusions."

I wonder if they were afraid that she'd find some friend or acquaintance to leave the girl with if they put their foot down.

Maybe they are just hoping she learns through the school of hard-knocks before getting legally wed to this guy.

Maybe Nicole was bound and determined to go and they thought "she'll be safer with a camera crew as company".  She seems to be enjoying her new TV "celebrity".  Ugh, it's quite awful to watch isn't it?

• Love 1

Say the parents refuse to drive Nicole and order the other sister not to help... then what?  You think Nicole won't go?  Of course she would.  She'd just leave the kid with someone else or bring her over there and let Azan's parents watch her. 

• Love 12

I think this season's going to be rough for me to watch--too many small children dealing with the chaos of their parents' questionable choices. It was hard enough/awkward enough in past seasons to watch older teens and young adults go through this on camera, but now we have a 2 year old and a 7 year old. Eeeeesh. The worst part of season 2 for me were the scenes with Daya interacting with Big-Lips' daughter.

• Love 6
11 hours ago, KateHearts said:

again, enabling by older, more mature family members of someone who is making poor decisions- not for herself, but involving a tiny child.  And I am certain that the parents will be very involved in taking care of May while Nicole is in Morocco (where's THAT??!!)

I was just clarifying WHO has her child.  It's also my opinion that keeping someones child while they make a questionable decision while seen as "enabling" the parent can also be view as protecting the child. 

I feel like Nicole acts less mature than my 15 yr old. I also know from experience (and I am a strict parent) that my 21 yr old is going to do what she wants to do when she wants to do it because she doesn't live under our roof nor do we fund her life.

• Love 5
16 hours ago, Passthepopcorn said:

That is why I went straight into parent/child mode. I couldn't help it. I know that a 22 year old is perfectly capable of being independent and taking care of oneself, for the most part. But I see this girl and I feel I'm in front of a 12/14 year old. It's hard to remember she is a young adult.

I have a niece who's 23, single parent to two small boys. She put herself through school without any financial help and got her cosmetology license. She's one of the most popular hair stylists in our area. She's the Anti-Nicole. She lives in a small apt. built out of an old garage because that's all she could afford. But it's clean, neat, not a speck of dust anywhere. Unlike Nicole, who is lazy (to me, from the appearance of her place) and is looking for love in all the wrong places.

• Love 6

I've worked in the child welfare system, and have seen this scenario before.  The family worries about the child and though they don't want to assist the parent, they do want to ensure the child is safe and healthy. So they face some really tough choices, and imo, they most times are reduced to making case by case choices.  E.g. "Ok, Nicole clearly is not going to buy new shoes and May's feet are hurting, so I will buy shoes."  I think we can't rule out a form of mental illness or personality disorder which sometimes are more easily overlooked in a young person but become clearer with time.  Whatever the case, it's difficult even when the dysfunctional family member doesn't have a child, and much harder when there is a small child.

The way the situation looks to me is that Nicole and Azem (is that right?) have an on line relationship only and are nowhere near getting a k-1 visa.  She doesn't have to be in Morroco for 5 weeks to establish a relationship.  To me, that appears to be a production shooting schedule.  Production knows that this couple can't possibly get a visa and have a wedding on the show's schedule, so they are going to shoot most of the footage in Morrocco. Also they probably know it won't work out.  A bit exploitive, huh?  Probably the only good Nicole's family sees from this mess is that Nicole will get some money.  But that will mess up her assistance which is probably aid to dependent children.  Few adults without children get assistance anymore.`

• Love 9

In my family there is no cut off point for advising younger family members especially if they come to us with requests. There is a tapering off of involvement, however. But if some foolishness such as what Nicole is doing it just wouldn't happen for them because no one would take on her responsibilities to facilitate any of it.

• Love 2
On September 15, 2016 at 11:50 PM, Lola16 said:

Say the parents refuse to drive Nicole and order the other sister not to help... then what?  You think Nicole won't go?  Of course she would.  She'd just leave the kid with someone else or bring her over there and let Azan's parents watch her. 

OMG, I can see Nicole doing that.  She's like young women who have children and still need to go to the club five nights a week.  They'll let anybody watch their children as long as they can "do them."  Scary.

• Love 8

Casey Anthony scary.  That was the first time I saw an apparently normal (non disadvantaged) person/mother behave that way.  She was more cunning (I think) than Nicole , but this behaviour gives me pause  --  so disturbing when the  tiny helpless ones are at risk 

Edited by Dahlia
  • Love 2