Type keyword(s) to search

The Other Duggars: The Lost Girls and Amy

Message added by Scarlett45

If your post is not PRIMARILY about the Duggars, it will be removed. Please stick to the topic or take it to Small Talk, thank you.

• Start Topic

I predict Jackson will take what he learns and create his own pet training business. He needs to start thinking about how he's going to make a living.  In four or five years he could have a wife and a baby on the way.

• Love 18
12 hours ago, PradaKitty said:

Hopefully someone will give Grandma Mary a gift certificate for a new haircut/styling. 

That is a wig that Mary has worn for years.

59 minutes ago, floridamom said:

How do we know that Mary Duggar wears a wig?

It doesn't look to be a wig to me. Her hair looks home dyed in one of those not quite natural colors. Somewhere between auburn and brown. 

• Love 3
On 5/24/2018 at 11:17 PM, awaken said:

They actually wrote, “mommy and daddy Duggar”!  To identify which mommy and daddy were wishing him a happy birthday ?

They had to differentiate from his real parents, Jana and John David (or since it was last year, dad could have been Joe). 

• Love 10

I don't know if it's a wig or her real hair, but that color is dreadful on a woman of her age. I'm not saying she has to wear gray, but that deep chocolate is so unflattering to her skin tone and texture. And after all the heavy dye applications, her hair just droops. A much lighter blondish- brown with some subtle lowlights (and the odd streak of gray as a highlight) in a shorter bob with some lift would do wonders for her.

Someone send her a picture of Jane Fonda stat.

• Love 13
18 hours ago, PradaKitty said:

Hopefully someone will give Grandma Mary a gift certificate for a new haircut/styling. 

Seriously, Grandma's hair has looked exactly the same for decades!

• Love 5
28 minutes ago, beagletime said:

I think Grandma looks great.  If she likes it that's all that matters.  I have a feeling she knows at least a little something personal about each Duggar child.  

I think her hair looks better than that of her daughter in law and most, if not all, of her granddaughters.  She's had a tough life and if she's happy with the way her hair looks, that's all that matters.  I am on board with a day of pampering at a salon for her if she's the sort who likes that kind of thing (I am definitely that sort).

• Love 20
2 hours ago, doodlebug said:

I think her hair looks better than that of her daughter in law and most, if not all, of her granddaughters.  She's had a tough life and if she's happy with the way her hair looks, that's all that matters.  I am on board with a day of pampering at a salon for her if she's the sort who likes that kind of thing (I am definitely that sort).

Yeah, it could be worse - she could be rapidly thinning, like the decent amount of senior citizen ladies I see around Manhattan sporting patches of exposed scalp.  Maybe she looks in the mirror and goes, well... at least I *have* hair.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, doodlebug said:

When Mechelle had her makeover, I thought she looked so much like Grandma Mary that that’s why she abandoned the style immediately 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Fostersmom said:

I'd suspect a ton of women her age have had the same hair and makeup for decades. 

Yep, that's my guess. Her hairstyle and color are probably a habit she hasn't thought about changing for years.

3 hours ago, beagletime said:

I think Grandma looks great.  If she likes it that's all that matters.  

See, that's the thing about her style and color just being a habit ... I doubt Mary even bothers to think about whether or not she likes it.  She just does the same color every month, the same thing styling every day.  She turns her bangs under with the curling iron, looks in the mirror and thinks "done" and goes about her day.  But if she made a few changes she might look in the mirror and instead of having basically no reaction, she might say to herself "wow, that looks great" because she really actually does like what she sees.  

I guess I should just be glad she's not walking around with a snarled rat nest on her head like Michelle or a brushfire waiting to happen like Jill Rodrigues. But bad dye jobs on old ladies are one of my pet peeves!  

• Love 5
1 hour ago, PradaKitty said:

The rule of thumb is as you grow older, your hair should go lighter ( or at least be hilightef around the face). It really brightens an older complection.

I've been letting my gray (or salt-and-pepper) hair grow out since I first found out I was going to be a grandma ( last July). My hair is about shoulder length at the moment, and if I wear a hairband, as I often do, it's gray around my face, but mostly colored where it comes back out  behind the hairband. I'd only been using the semi-permanent color for some time before deciding to grow it out, so I'd have thought more would have faded by now, but in any case, I'm really liking the way the gray looks with my complexion. Can't wait for the rest to grow out! I know I could just remove what dye is still in there, but I'm kind of enjoying the whole process :)

• Love 11

Maybe it should have been a clue to Michelle how off her style is when her make-over was closer to her MIL's style than to her own. I mean really, how many make-overs emulate an older woman's style?

• Love 6
(edited)
On 5/26/2018 at 10:09 AM, Portia said:

He needs to start thinking about how he's going to make a living.  In four or five years he could have a wife and a baby on the way.

That is scarily accurate!  We said the same of Joy at the time, and it came to pass!

Edited by awaken
  • Love 4
19 minutes ago, Kokapetl said:

I finally figured out who Jackson looks like, it’s Peter Brady (Christopher Knight) if he was blond. 

34qr2nn.jpg

He's always reminded me of Ryan from High School Musical 

Screenshot_20180530-111517.thumb.jpg.0e35ff8aee08a97e0b5d0120012b3c2e.jpg

• Love 6
1 minute ago, Vacantsmile3 said:

Any thoughts on the recent articles saying Amy isn't allowed to be a part of the family and had to scrub her insta from pics of them?

hadnt heard that...

On 5/27/2018 at 8:09 PM, PradaKitty said:

The rule of thumb is as you grow older, your hair should go lighter ( or at least be hilightef around the face). It really brightens an older complection.

Ok so I am nearing 70 with two tiny patches of grey at the temples.  The rest is medium auburn and I have pale pink Irish skin.  I do color the grey and get highlights.  Am I too old for this?  I will probably never get all grey.  Suggestions?

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, Jenilane6 said:

Ok so I am nearing 70 with two tiny patches of grey at the temples.  The rest is medium auburn and I have pale pink Irish skin.  I do color the grey and get highlights.  Am I too old for this?  I will probably never get all grey.  Suggestions?

I'm guessing this would do the trick:

https://www.smartstyle.com/en-us/advice/the-basics-of-foils-and-face-framing.html

Face-framing highlights is a popular technique that concentrates the foil placement on the perimeter bordering the face. And as you’d expect from a technique called "face-framing highlights," this lighter-colored hair around your face adds visual interest and draws attention to your face.

How many foils are used?
Your stylist can typically achieve the desired look in 7-14 foils, but every look is a bit different.
28 minutes ago, Jenilane6 said:

If it’s your natural color (lucky you!), I say go with it!  It’s not the color per se, it’s the ‘flatness’ and lack of dimension that comes from coloring gray hair that looks unnatural.  As noted above, you can do some lighter highlights around your face if you feel your natural color makes you look washed out but not every older woman needs to go lighter because we all age differently.

Im 61 and my hair would be about 75% gray if I didn’t color it. I’m a medium to dark brown, essentially my natural color and I’m not ready to go lighter and doubt I will ever let it go gray. But my hair is shiny and healthy looking, not dry and dull like Grandma Duggar.

• Love 3
On 5/30/2018 at 7:39 PM, GeeGolly said:

image.thumb.png.3310b7130b1df2fc422bf6ed64858af4.pngbde4d65197346d4698fe890b1e53e4ff--love-n

Holy crap! He looks exactly like Jill here, forehead wrinkles and all. He just has to open his mouth more, raise his eyebrows, and voilà - a "Yay" will escape.

• Love 15
1 hour ago, doodlebug said:

If it’s your natural color (lucky you!), I say go with it!  It’s not the color per se, it’s the ‘flatness’ and lack of dimension that comes from coloring gray hair that looks unnatural.  As noted above, you can do some lighter highlights around your face if you feel your natural color makes you look washed out but not every older woman needs to go lighter because we all age differently.

Im 61 and my hair would be about 75% gray if I didn’t color it. I’m a medium to dark brown, essentially my natural color and I’m not ready to go lighter and doubt I will ever let it go gray. But my hair is shiny and healthy looking, not dry and dull like Grandma Duggar.

I am almost 75 and mostly gray under the color which is about a shade lighter than my natural. I think today’s over the counter products are pretty darn good. They leave my hair thicker and shiny. Plus with all that gray my hair is not one solid color. So to concur, coloring doesn’t equal Grandma Duggar’s hair. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, doodlebug said:

I say go with it as well...You (JENILANE6) sound like my mother-in-law, whose hair never did go gray (she's 81 now, and has sort of dirty blonde color hair which doesn't really show whatever gray hairs do show up in it). I'd think that in medium auburn hair, the patches of gray at your temples will be all the light/dimension you need if you let them grow out. 

I mentioned the other day that I've been growing my gray out for the better part of a year now. I was really afraid it would look dowdy, but I actually love the way the color looks. My hair is (was) naturally about the same color as yours, DOODLEBUG,and is probably close to 50% gray (I'm 59). The lighter look all that extra gray gives me actually makes my complexion look brighter than when I was coloring my hair, I think. Or my eyes may be going, too. LOL

4 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

I am almost 75 and mostly gray under the color which is about a shade lighter than my natural. I think today’s over the counter products are pretty darn good. They leave my hair thicker and shiny. Plus with all that gray my hair is not one solid color. So to concur, coloring doesn’t equal Grandma Duggar’s hair. 

Agreed with this as well...that was basically my strategy and my thinking for the 10+ years I spent coloring my hair. I always used the OTC products, and frequently got compliments on my hair color from people who were then surprised to hear that it not only wasn't natural but that I did it myself.

• Love 5
51 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Agreed with this as well...that was basically my strategy and my thinking for the 10+ years I spent coloring my hair. I always used the OTC products, and frequently got compliments on my hair color from people who were then surprised to hear that it not only wasn't natural but that I did it myself.

From the time I was a young kid, I remember my mother coloring her hair at the kitchen sink (For Brunettes Only, Midnight Brown to be exact), so when I started seeing gray, I had no problem popping over to the pharmacy and finding my color.  I did it all myself until the past few years when I decided it was an affordable luxury to get it done professionally a few times a year because she was able to cover the roots, especially in back, better than I could.  Between trips to the salon, I do it myself and use root touch up as needed.

And, of course, in my younger years, I experimented with henna and do it yourself highlights, too.  For me, the salon always did a better job with the highlights although I tried it myself a few times.

• Love 3
(edited)
5 hours ago, floridamom said:

Why would Amy HAVE to do anything? Jim Bob is her uncle, not her boss at a paying job. I read that too, but didn't click on the article. Anyone here read it?

I guess the clickbait crowd choose to promote Amy's myth that she's the "rebel Duggar" child .... 

....and since that's the only way she's going to get ANY attention from here on in, she -- and they -- will go on promoting ad infinitum probably.  She wants attention and drama; they want attention and drama.  And there are increasingly few ways to get it in Tinker Toy Land.

Stories like that will probably keep appearing until the Duggs have totally vanished from the media -- and people remember them so little that they actually believe Amy IS a Duggar child. And a rebel. 

When she's actually nothing but a very determined famewhore. lol

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

You're what age?? You're kidding. You don't sound a day over 73;-))) I'm always amazed at the wide variety of people on boards like these.

• Love 13
8 hours ago, floridamom said:

Why would Amy HAVE to do anything? Jim Bob is her uncle, not her boss at a paying job. I read that too, but didn't click on the article. Anyone here read it?

I read it since I'm still avoiding yard work in the heat.  By noon today it had already hit 87.  For reference 2 days ago the high was 59 and I had to turn on the heat.  And we don't have A/C, sooo..... Amy, according to one article I saw tweeted that she didn't support Gothard or the IBLP principles.  And while it says she isn't allowed to show pics of her cousins, she can still show pics with Grandma Mary.  i can see Boob saying no pics of the minor children, but pics with the adult children and the marrieds?  There's no way he can tell her to do that and expect her to do it.  I think he's just scared that if one Duggar comes out against Gothard that it might inspire some of his kids to do the same and that would be bad for the brand.  

• Love 6
25 minutes ago, DragonFaerie said:

And while it says she isn't allowed to show pics of her cousins, she can still show pics with Grandma Mary.  i can see Boob saying no pics of the minor children, but pics with the adult children and the marrieds?  There's no way he can tell her to do that and expect her to do it.  

Allowed to post pictures with her grandmother? WTF! If there’s even a grain of truth to that who the hell does Boob think he is? It’s her grandmother, a grown ass woman. If the kidults and marrieds go along, then congratulations to Gothard. He really nailed down the psychological abuse needed to control those in the cult. 

• Love 14
21 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I mentioned the other day that I've been growing my gray out for the better part of a year now. I was really afraid it would look dowdy, but I actually love the way the color looks. My hair is (was) naturally about the same color as yours, DOODLEBUG,and is probably close to 50% gray (I'm 59). The lighter look all that extra gray gives me actually makes my complexion look brighter than when I was coloring my hair, I think. Or my eyes may be going, too. LOL

I grew my gray out completely a few years ago (I'm 63) after coloring for years.  I never did enjoy putting all those harsh chemicals on my scalp and my scalp became so dry that it was torture to do so.  My husband likes my natural color, which is actually silvery and quite thick and I do get many compliments on it.  My natural color was a medium brown, so it still astonishes me to see my hair so light when I look in the mirror.  I'm a 4X over grandma, so I figured what the heck?  It helped to go short when I was first growing it out, but now it's shoulder length.  I love not always looking in the mirror worrying whether my roots are showing.  As for topic, I think Great Grandma Mary might be more comfortable going au natural, but maybe she has really thin hair and is in a wig.  Hard to say.  It's a personal choice and everyone has to do what they feel is right for them.  I've looked at life from both sides now...

• Love 12

I'm 61 and just starting to gray at the temples.  I have light-to-medium brown hair and I like the way the grays are sort of high-lighting my face.  But then, I've never colored my hair.

• Love 4