Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

I guess Jill finally taught me something - I did not know that canned potatoes exist. Not that I'm ever going to use that little bit of knowledge, mind you. 

There are so many blogs out there with good recipes on them, including ones featuring budget or "cheap" eats. The vast majority of them have much, much better recipes than Jill's. For the "pizza" recipe I'm surprised she didn't substitute ketchup for the spaghetti sauce. The version on white bread was a crime against taste buds. (I have nothing against a good tortilla pizza, although I prefer pita.)

• Love 5
38 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

I guess Jill finally taught me something - I did not know that canned potatoes exist. Not that I'm ever going to use that little bit of knowledge, mind you. 

There are so many blogs out there with good recipes on them, including ones featuring budget or "cheap" eats. The vast majority of them have much, much better recipes than Jill's. For the "pizza" recipe I'm surprised she didn't substitute ketchup for the spaghetti sauce. The version on white bread was a crime against taste buds. (I have nothing against a good tortilla pizza, although I prefer pita.)

Canned potatoes are not that bad.  My mom will use them in her vegetable beef soup along with canned veggies, but she also drains them, uses a better cut of beef, and uses actual spices.  They also are good to use for the eastern NC staple of boiled potatoes, but again there is a huge sauce component. 

• Love 9
(edited)
On 2018-07-27 at 4:25 PM, EVS said:

How about French bread or an English muffin or naan bread

While any of the above would be better than regular bread, I agree with @ms.o that it still isn’t worthy of a blog post. Jill really is clueless. 

Too... foreign.

Edited by mimionthebeach
  • Love 11
(edited)
On 2018-07-27 at 1:10 PM, ginger90 said:

Samuel’s first birthday.

Video

Samuel’s 1st Birthday-pictures and videos

Jul 27, 2018 | Family Blog, Photos| 2 

We celebrated Samuel’s first birthday earlier this month with smash cake and all! We had Jill’s buddy team and Derick’s family over for the evening. Here are some pictures and videos.

4C57D474-87E3-463A-B287-5CB02163FA05.jpeg

EBC4DE44-02FE-40EB-95F4-10F9C2374899.jpeg

33C5974E-C099-48CD-8098-A393B6267DDB.jpeg

Look at that kid. Doing his own thing and not smashing that cake the way he's supposed to. You know they'll have that willful, independent spirit beaten out of him by birthday number 2.

Edited by mimionthebeach
  • Love 11
13 hours ago, Misslindsey said:

Jill's recipes are unintentional comedy. They always seem to make me laugh. 

Jill doesn't even drain the grease after browning the ground beef.  Even lean meat has grease in it.  You can't even pour grease down the drain without causing problems.  Imagine what this does to her children!

• Love 7

Once again, Jill took one of my favorite meals (stew) and ruined it. I take beef or pork stock, pork stew meat cut up small, veggies like potatoes, carrots, onions, two packages of dry gravy mix (onion, mushroom, or pork,) and one beef bouillon cube in a medium pan and slow cook it. I will use low sodium stock and bouillon cubes. Delish especially the left overs the next day.

8 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

Once again, Jill took one of my favorite meals (stew) and ruined it. I take beef or pork stock, pork stew meat cut up small, veggies like potatoes, carrots, onions, two packages of dry gravy mix (onion, mushroom, or pork,) and one beef bouillon cube in a medium pan and slow cook it. I will use low sodium stock and bouillon cubes. Delish especially the left overs the next day.

My parents found a wonderful baked stew recipe from Taste of Home magazine.  Just quartered potatoes, carrots, celery and diced tomatoes with the stew meat (I really should learn to cut up my own meat) Worcestershire sauce, salt pepper, bay leaf, and a slice of bread cut up.  Mix it all up and pour into a greased 9 x 13 pan, then into the oven for 35-40 min at 375 degrees.  Great the first day, better and better subsequent days.  It's an easy recipe as you cut the veggie fairly large, and I'm sure you could add some other veggies like beans or corn without too much trouble.  Stuff like this is what she could and should be doing, progressing up to more complicated dishes that are delicious and healthy for her family.  But whatever floats her boat, I guess.

• Love 3
On 7/28/2018 at 9:08 AM, Jeeves said:

I read this today, and then a few minutes later read the second letter in this advice column. A pregnant mom of a 2 year old was worrying about the toddler's reactions to having to share her parents' attention with the new baby. The columnist's advice was pretty weak, IMO, but the comments were just bursting with "involve your husband" and "involve your two-year-old in 'helping' you with the baby." I immediately thought of the Dillards and their inept parenting as shown on video.

I wonder if this is more fallout from MEchelle's infamous "sister mom" system of child-rearing. I assume that Jill and the other young Duggar daughters were just handed infants and toddlers to take care of, with minimal instructions on how to do it. They muddled through as best they could, and now they probably (and not unjustifiably) feel they know how to parent because they did that. But IMO Jill doesn't know what she doesn't know, if that makes sense. She learned whatever she knows about babies and toddlers when she was very young herself and I doubt it's occurred to her that as an adult she might have more to learn on that subject, that either she wasn't exposed to in the past or wasn't yet mature enough to appreciate back then. Jilly's a model student and dutiful follower of doctrine, and I don't think it would occur to her to question authority or the fabulous wisdom of her Godly parents, or to wonder if there's more to know about parenting than her parents and the Pearls have shared. And Derick is just obviously clueless, and an authoritarian along with it. Poor kids.

I would have to say "Hell yeah." Michelle's "parenting" has left Jill totally emotionally stunted IMO.

As an aside, when my baby #2 was coming home from the hospital, I literally cried, thinking of baby #1 whose WHOLE world was about to turn upside down! I made damn sure that she did not feel left out! I consciously let baby #2 cry sometimes if #1 also wanted/needed me. #2 wasn't going to die from a minute or two extra crying and #1 wouldn't feel like she was always second best to new baby.  I also made sure that people fussed over #1 when they came to see #2.  I HATE IT when people practically push the older kids aside in the rush to get to the new baby!  I make a point to always talk and make eye contact with the older kids before fussing over the new one, usually asking the older child if they will introduce me to "their" new brother/sister, and then ask them lots of questions about THEIR thoughts on the newbie.

2 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Canned potatoes are not that bad.  My mom will use them in her vegetable beef soup along with canned veggies, but she also drains them, uses a better cut of beef, and uses actual spices.  They also are good to use for the eastern NC staple of boiled potatoes, but again there is a huge sauce component. 

I use them in my quickie chicken pot pie. Saves quite a bit of prep time on a weeknight.

• Love 20
32 minutes ago, sarasue59 said:

My parents found a wonderful baked stew recipe from Taste of Home magazine.  Just quartered potatoes, carrots, celery and diced tomatoes with the stew meat (I really should learn to cut up my own meat) Worcestershire sauce, salt pepper, bay leaf, and a slice of bread cut up.  Mix it all up and pour into a greased 9 x 13 pan, then into the oven for 35-40 min at 375 degrees.  Great the first day, better and better subsequent days.  It's an easy recipe as you cut the veggie fairly large, and I'm sure you could add some other veggies like beans or corn without too much trouble.  Stuff like this is what she could and should be doing, progressing up to more complicated dishes that are delicious and healthy for her family.  But whatever floats her boat, I guess.

Oh, that sounds delicious & easy to make.  Like you said, something easy & healthy for Jill to make.

4 hours ago, graefin said:

Is that a sponsored post? She might want the spell the name of the brand right in her hashtag. #fail

It would also be helpful for the picture to not be reversed so you could read the bag.

• Love 19
2 hours ago, Barb23 said:

Oh, that sounds delicious & easy to make.  Like you said, something easy & healthy for Jill to make.

It is!  Great for cold winter nights.  And except for some prep, Easy.  

The Derick's of the world fail to realize the impact a second child can have on the first. I wonder how he would feel if Jill brought home a new adorable younger husband? Well it's pretty much the same way a first child feels when the next sibling comes along. Depending on their age, as well as their parents responses, many kids have a tough time with it. Most parents understand this on some level and make accommodations for their first born.

• Love 9
On 7/28/2018 at 8:23 AM, queenanne said:

Isn't James the one we previously saw in a group TLC photo holding a content and happy baby Henry?  I remembered thinking "Hey, if this is constant, I think we found the one with a 'heart for children'!"

Yeah, I feel kind of sure the idea for scratch pizza is that it should at least have a bottom crust stern enough to hold up to the challenge of the sauce, and not immediately drop hot sauce on the eater's hands.  (Then again, I'm the type of person who will not make grilled cheese or buttered toast with air holes running clear through slices, with my mind on the same problem; so it's possible I'm more finicky than others about my food.  With English muffins, I tend to burn my mouth because the sauce under the cheese is uneven due to the nooks and crannies, so I have a lot of food issues.)  If you toasted the bread, maybe it would do the job.

Yeah, they are gonna need to toast that bread!  I agree with others that an English Muffin would be best or French bread but its a snack/easy meal.  

**Was just over at the other Duggar site lurking.  MAN that can be a scary place!  Those people are mean!  Thank y'all for being nice.

• Love 5

That damn fancy cornbread!!

A refresher:

Y’all! This is my favorite cornbread. My mama made this for us growing up and it is a little bit sweeter than normal cornbread. Oh, and you gotta put the melted butter on it at the end to get the entire flavor! I like to eat it for breakfast the next morning.

Makes two 9×13″ pans

Ingredients:

4 boxes Jiffy cornmuffin mix

4 eggs

3/4 cup oil (vegetable or light olive oil is what I use)

1/8 cup sugar

1 cup grated cheddar cheese

1 t. onion powder

1 can creamed corn

Directions: Preheat oven to 420 degrees. Mix all ingredients together and pour into two greased 9×13″ pans. Bake for 20-30 minutes. Brush with melted butter when done.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

A refresher:

Y’all! This is my favorite cornbread. My mama made this for us growing up and it is a little bit sweeter than normal cornbread. Oh, and you gotta put the melted butter on it at the end to get the entire flavor! I like to eat it for breakfast the next morning.

Makes two 9×13″ pans

Ingredients:

4 eggs

1/8 cup sugar

1 t. onion powder

1 can creamed corn

Directions: Preheat oven to 420 degrees. Mix all ingredients together and pour into two greased 9×13″ pans. Bake for 20-30 minutes. Brush with melted butter when done.

I read that as Jilly muffin. I spend too much time here.

• Love 16
(edited)
34 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

A refresher:

Makes two 9×13″ pans

Ingredients:

4 eggs

1/8 cup sugar

1 t. onion powder

1 can creamed corn

Why is it that she can never decide how to spell "mama?" Or it is Momma?

Edited by DangerousMinds
  • Love 3
(edited)
13 minutes ago, McManda said:

Why are we adding sugar to Jiffy cornbread?

As long as we’re asking questions, why is there less sugar in the cornbread than in the “stew?” (not that it belongs in either.)

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • Love 12
3 minutes ago, Pingaponga said:

I have three sets of measuring cups, and none of them include a 1/8 cup measure.  Is a 1/8 cup measure an American thing? 

In my experience it's pretty rare to see 1/8 cup in a recipe. Usually the recipe will say 2 Tablespoons instead. I want to say I used to see it more often long ago, but maybe I'm imagining that. 

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, Pingaponga said:

I have three sets of measuring cups, and none of them include a 1/8 cup measure.  Is a 1/8 cup measure an American thing? 

One of my sets of measuring cups has an 1/8 cup.  The corn bread sounds tasty.  How many families need institutional size recipes?

• Love 2
(edited)
9 minutes ago, Pingaponga said:

I was gifted a new set of measuring cups as a housewarming gift recently and they have a 1/8 cup. I think they're OXO brand? Either way I was surprised because I've never had a 1/8 cup before.

I also have a box of Jiffy cornbread mix in my cupboard. Its 4th ingredient is sugar. It already has 8 grams of sugar per serving, so it definitely doesn't need more unless your intent is corn cake.

(Corn is already sweet and creamed corn is more sweet than I'd like anyway, so I definitely don't understand the added sugar. Maybe it's a northern thing? I just make the Jiffy mix with an egg and milk and call it a day.)

Edited by McManda
  • Love 6
20 minutes ago, Pingaponga said:

Coffee scoops are often 1/8 of a cup, I think. One of my two sets of measuring spoons includes a 1/8 cup (2 tbsp) spoon, too. 

• Love 4
(edited)
23 minutes ago, McManda said:

I was gifted a new set of measuring cups as a housewarming gift and they have a 1/8 cup. I think they're OXO brand? Either way I was surprised because I've never had a 1/8 cup before.

I also have a box of Jiffy cornbread mix in my cupboard. Its 4th ingredient is sugar. It already has 8 grams of sugar per serving, so it definitely doesn't need more unless your intent is corn cake.

(Corn is already sweet and creamed corn is more sweet than I'd like anyway, so I definitely don't understand the added sugar. Maybe it's a northern thing?)

Meaning not liking sugar is a Northern thing? Could be...I've spent probably the  majority of my life in Connecticut, and never did develop a taste for sweet tea and such when we were stationed in Georgia. Don't even get me started on the Southern cole-slaw (gag)...everywhere we had it it was invariably almost syrupy-sweet.

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Meaning not liking sugar is a Northern thing? Could be...I've spent probably the  majority of my life in Connecticut, and never did develop a taste for sweet tea and such when we were stationed in Georgia. Don't even get me started on the Southern cole-slaw (gag)...everywhere we had it it was invariably almost syrupy.

I’m a yankee who has lived in the south since 1975. Cole slaw and potato salad have way too much mayo for me. My versions don’t and my friends don’t like it. But mr lookeyloo and I do. 

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, McManda said:

I was gifted a new set of measuring cups as a housewarming gift recently and they have a 1/8 cup. I think they're OXO brand? Either way I was surprised because I've never had a 1/8 cup before.

(Corn is already sweet and creamed corn is more sweet than I'd like anyway, so I definitely don't understand the added sugar. Maybe it's a northern thing? I just make the Jiffy mix with an egg and milk and call it a day.)

The Duggars live in Arkansas, so sugar in corn bread would be a Southern thing, except I think it is a Duggar thing.  When has Jill ever posted a recipe that didn't include extra sugar or extra salt?

I grew up in a large family and I'm very familiar with Jiffy mixes.  My mom used to make it to go with chili,etc.  Sometimes she would add corn to the mix, but whole kernel corn, not creamed, and she'd drain all the liquid off first.  She also used to put drained whole kernel corn into pancake batter, especially on meatless Fridays in Lent, when we would often have pancakes for dinner.

• Love 6

According to Wikipedia, northern style cornbread is actually sweeter. 

Southern cornbread has traditionally been made with little or no sugar and smaller amounts of flour (or no flour), with northern cornbread being sweeter and more cake-like.

I think it’s a Duggar thing, like @doodlebug said. 

• Love 4