Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

2 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

I want them to share their opinions. I don't agree with either of them, but I prefer that they are upfront with it so that I can make the decision to support them or not. Also, karma. 

I see your point of view, but when you are in the public eye, you need to remember anything you post on social media can come back to haunt you (even if you try to delete it.) I would rather not know their opinions on certain issues, and I certainly did not support them even before they both really started posting their opinions for the world to see.

Now back to Jill and her recipe posts. All I can say is yuck to the last one.

7 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

This disposable shit they use and consider normal, is just so damn wasteful.  It's like these entitled out-of-control breeders consider it their right to create the largest carbon footprint imaginable.  That just pisses my recycling ass off royally.

Even if I liked them (which I don't), I'd hate them for that alone.  If Ma & Pa Kettle want 200 grandkids, for fuck's sake, don't they give a rat's ass about what kind of world they are leaving for them?  Beyond selfish, shameful, and fucked up.  

Thank you! I'm trying to do the math on all the waste, in a family with that many kids, eating that many meals a day, a week, a year. And now having families of their own, following Mama's example of laziness. The mind boggles.

• Love 8
7 hours ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

Y’all, seriously what the fuck is happening in that house that makes her think any of this is okay?

Bizarre “soup”

Eaten on the go 

In the CAR

Captured “on film”

Posted on a lifestyle blog

This is SO WEIRD!!!!! It has to be an unconscious cry for help. Seriously. Why can’t she eat her “soup” at home?

Jill is trying to churn out as many posts as she can. Something is up with that family and money.

Remember how something always seemed off about the Duggars and then everything made sense once we learned of Josh’s molesting? I think there is going to be some sort of revelation and looking back all this Dillard weirdness will make sense.

5 hours ago, Normades said:

The eating in the car pictures make me wonder if this is another food issue that Jill has from her upbringing.  I remember the story about scarfing down food in the bathroom to make sure she got enough to eat.  Maybe Jill feels safer and more comfortable eating in the car.  Issues with food can take many forms and be very difficult to overcome.  It makes me so angry that Boob and MEschelle sit back and tout their family like it's something to aspire to when these poor kids have lifelong issues from their horrible upbringing. 

Hmmm, that's an interesting connection. 

Then I wonder:

1. What is Derick's reasoning for eating in the car? He's thin too, and he has gagged while running, but does he have any eating issues?

2. We know the story about scarfing down food in the bathroom was about Jill, but did any other Duggars engage in similar behaviors? Certainly it was a large home and everyone was trying to get what they could. On the other hand, it seems like many of the Duggars have eating issues even if they manifest a little differently. Remember Michelle was dealing with bulimia.

Smuggar - went overboard eating as an adult and gained a lot of weight. Lost weight while in Jesus Jail but gained it back when he returned (same with Anna).

Jana - Weight Watchers even though she is not overweight

JD, Joe, Josiah - weight has fluctuated a little for JD but otherwise I don't think there are any major issues

Jill - hoarding food and eating in private or enclosed spaces

Jessa, Joy - I don't think there are major issues at this point; they dieted before their weddings but that's not very unusual.

Jinger - she actually seems to have improved since leaving the family. She was rail thin pre-Jeremy and now seems to look healthier.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, madpsych78 said:

Hmmm, that's an interesting connection. 

Then I wonder:

1. What is Derick's reasoning for eating in the car? He's thin too, and he has gagged while running, but does he have any eating issues?

2. We know the story about scarfing down food in the bathroom was about Jill, but did any other Duggars engage in similar behaviors? Certainly it was a large home and everyone was trying to get what they could. On the other hand, it seems like many of the Duggars have eating issues even if they manifest a little differently. Remember Michelle was dealing with bulimia.

Smuggar - went overboard eating as an adult and gained a lot of weight. Lost weight while in Jesus Jail but gained it back when he returned (same with Anna).

Jana - Weight Watchers even though she is not overweight

JD, Joe, Josiah - weight has fluctuated a little for JD but otherwise I don't think there are any major issues

Jill - hoarding food and eating in private or enclosed spaces

Jessa, Joy - I don't think there are major issues at this point; they dieted before their weddings but that's not very unusual.

Jinger - she actually seems to have improved since leaving the family. She was rail thin pre-Jeremy and now seems to look healthier.

One thing about this family that has stood out to me is what was their normal mealtime dynamic without the camera crew.  We know that the girls all "forgave" Smuggar for his transgressions, but how did this play out on a day to day basis.  I can't imagine sitting down with my molester everyday to eat multiple meals.  Along with my parents who truly took his side in this.  How much of an appetite could I actually have?  When you are working hard on swallowing your anger, how much can you truly eat at dinner?  If you and Josh both wanted a second helping, who would get it?  Would Michelle always defer to her firstborn son? 

It's no wonder that Jill had some eating issues and would escape to the bathroom. 

• Love 13

I've thrown together 'meals' to eat in the car between sports, music, dance, etc when my kids were little. Never once did I think soup would be an "on the go" friendly meal. The worst to-go meal I've had my kids eating in the car was a pre-bagged salad, still in the bag with plastic forks and a bottle of dressing (plz don't judge). It was usually sandwiches, cold pizza or we'd shoot through a fast food drive-thru.

As I've mentioned a zillion times cooking is not my thing, but being a stay at home parent for a number of years I had no choice but to feed my family. Jill makes me look like a frigging Julia Child by comparison.  

• Love 22
7 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

How often does she post with food while in her car? 

Also, ref. her comment upthread about her mom making that dish when she was growing up....I'm trying to recall if Michelle cooked that much.  It seems to me that the girls did.  Maybe, she means before they went on tv. 

More than most for sure!  They cannot be THAT busy that they are eating on the go.  Neither work and really are just taking care of their own gd family!  I work a lot of 14 hour days and I never eat in the car.  I also don't eat that crap.  I call foul on Meechelle ever making that soup.  There are actual identifiable vegetables in there.  I would be surprised if most in that family could pick broccoli out in a line up.  They may not be overweight but my guess is their body fat is higher than normal.  None are sporty and they eat THAT!  Ok, Bin and MAYBE Jessa are a bit sporty.  The others?  Nah.

• Love 9

It was my understanding that Derick was attending Bible classes at an official seminary type school.  Is that right?  If so, I can imagine that maybe, she takes him his lunch, if they have one car and they eat it in the car.  Only other option is getting kids out, strollers, walking to cafeteria or picnic tables and setting up.....Probably easier to eat in the car.  Just guessing.

Or, maybe they have a paper route or are doing pizza delivery.  Seriously, if they do it together, the kids in the car, she takes their meal, so they can pull over, eat and get back to delivering papers or pizzas.  I'm just brainstorming, since it does seem odd.  

• Love 1
37 minutes ago, Picture It. Sicily said:

Thank you! I'm trying to do the math on all the waste, in a family with that many kids, eating that many meals a day, a week, a year. And now having families of their own, following Mama's example of laziness. The mind boggles.

YES!  I hate all their disposable crap that they use all the time, and I went down the math rabbit hole.  Granted it's hot today and I really don't want to get all the work I'm suppose to be doing on the property today done in the heat, so here we go.

Assuming 20 folks eating on plates at once - Smugger married at 20, with 3 kids still to be born, so I'm going on 17 kids, ma and pa and grandma.  3 meals a day = 60 plates, and throw in another 10 for afternoon snacks, although I'm sure plenty of them were walking around with whole pickles dripping pickle juice everywhere.  That gives us:

490 plates a week

25,480 a year - I'm not taking time out for trips or date night because they seem to eat at fast food places and that's more waste.

Now going off the Walmart site, I can buy a 200 count of "styrofoam" dinner plates for 4.84.  That means that they would need to buy 121 packs in a year.  Which gives us a total of $585.64, not including tax, spent on disposable plates.

Also on Walmart I can buy a single plain white ACTUAL plate - you know the kind you wash and dry, for 3.25 each.  Say they buy 60 - that feeds everybody 3 meals a day before you actually have to wash something, other than for snacks, and you get a total of REAL PLATES for $195.00 w/o tax.

That gives the Duggars a savings of roughly $390 a year to buy real, effing plates.  

I also feel sick at the thought of 25,000 plates going into landfill.  Ick.

• Love 22
(edited)
16 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

It was my understanding that Derick was attending Bible classes at an official seminary type school.  Is that right?  If so, I can imagine that maybe, she takes him his lunch, if they have one car and they eat it in the car.  Only other option is getting kids out, strollers, walking to cafeteria or picnic tables and setting up.....Probably easier to eat in the car.  Just guessing.

Or, maybe they have a paper route or are doing pizza delivery.  Seriously, if they do it together, the kids in the car, she takes their meal, so they can pull over, eat and get back to delivering papers or pizzas.  I'm just brainstorming, since it does seem odd.  

No, that's not right. He spent 12 grand to basically be an intern for Cross Church (his home church). There were 3 missioncations involved as part of the "program." There are no formal classes. He receives no degree or credits for completing this. It has basically been another wasted year for the Dullards. 

http://www.crosschurchschool.com/about/

Edited by Sew Sumi
Added link
  • Love 12

I promise I am NOT making this up.

Refreshing Chicken Salad

May 29, 2018 | Recipes | 0 

This makes a super yummy summer lunch! The freshly squeezed lemon sets this chicken salad off, giving it its amazing flavor!

1 can chicken (12.5oz., drained)

3-4 T mayo

salt (to taste)

pepper (to taste)

1 lemon* (squeeze lemon, making sure to include some pulp too!)

Mix all ingredients together except lemon juice. Add lemon juice 1 tablespoon at a time until desired flavor (I like A LOT of lemon juice!). Serve over a bed of lettuce, as a sandwich, or with crackers for a tasty snack!

71E11CF6-A014-4546-82AC-7F62C73CED1D.jpeg

• Love 7

I like canned tuna or salmon but canned chicken is gross. Why can she use cooked chicken?  They even sell chicken already cooked at the supermarket. More pricey, but it tastes a lot better. And you can freeze the leftover. 

• Love 3

Yeah that bar is going subterranean. Sorry to BEC but I doubt that is her picture. Are they desperate for money? I don’t understand social media that well. Are they paid for clicks? If not, are they both so out of touch with reality they think people will eat their slop? Do they really think they have a lifestyle blog? Some recipe ? 

• Love 6
Just now, Pingaponga said:

You can buy canned chicken? I honestly had no clue that existed.

Be happy you had no clue. It is disgusting! My mother used to buy it back in the day. It’s like mushy chicken, but not as good. ?

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, Pingaponga said:

I knew. When I was in college it was a cheap way to fancy up my Kraft Mac and Cheese that I was eating for the fourth time that week. Wouldn't eat it now or feed it to my kids. Sodium city. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, DragonFaerie said:

Damn, I almost want to do this.  Of course my 400 projects all going at once brain is like, Oh, make an entire blog about how to turn the disgusting, sodium filled recipes of the Duggarlings into healthy, yummy and appetizing food - complete with their recipe and styrofoam pics next to my pretty presentation.  

Makes me want to have a recipe sub-forum in the prayer closet!

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, Pingaponga said:

I don't know anyone who actually buys it, but yep.  The only time I've ever seen it was for food drives because it's a good source of protein and can sit on the shelf at the Food Bank.  Otherwise, there's no good reason not to buy fresh.  Even cooked chicken from the local grocery store is probably comparable in price and far more flavorful,   Buying uncooked chicken and preparing it at home to make 'chicken salad' (if it doesn't contain celery and maybe onions or cranberries or nuts; it is NOT a salad, Jill) is downright cheap compared to buying the canned stuff.

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

An entire lemon? That is way too much. It’s basically equal part lemon juice and mayo. And putting it on a real plate did nothing to make it look attractive.

It's not only on a real plate, it is somewhat artfully arranged, so I agree with the poster who thinks she stole the photo.  It still looks like glop, but nicely presented glop.

• Love 9
(edited)

Back to math day for me.  

Walmart - buying a 4 pack of canned chicken breasts comes out to 0.16 an ounce - each can is 12.5 oz.

Buying from Walmart - unfortunately they are giving my local prices for the fresh and I live in CA,  not Arkansas, so it HAS to be cheaper there:

Fresh, Boneless, Skinless Chicken thighs - I prefer - more flavor and cheaper - buying the store brand and the big pack gets you 0.0444 a pound.

Fresh, Boneless Skinless Chicken breasts - 0.105 a pound.  

Jesus Jill, buy fresh, divide and freeze it for meals for the week.  Hell, grill or bake it all at once and use it for a grilled chicken salad everyday for the week.  

That being said I do have 1-2 cans of boneless, skinless chicken breasts in WATER in the cupboard for emergencies - like hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes type thing.  I've used canned chicken breasts once - on a women's backpacking trip into the Sierra Mountains in July, our top spot still had some snow.  I made a chicken fettucini alfrado - along with a soup and a dessert and yes I packed those damn cans back out and drug them all the way home so I could recycle them.  (Earth Brownie points - LOL)

Edited by DragonFaerie
pounds are not ounces
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Natalie68 said:

More than most for sure!  They cannot be THAT busy that they are eating on the go.  Neither work and really are just taking care of their own gd family!  I work a lot of 14 hour days and I never eat in the car.  I also don't eat that crap.  I call foul on Meechelle ever making that soup.  There are actual identifiable vegetables in there.  I would be surprised if most in that family could pick broccoli out in a line up.  They may not be overweight but my guess is their body fat is higher than normal.  None are sporty and they eat THAT!  Ok, Bin and MAYBE Jessa are a bit sporty.  The others?  Nah.

To be fair, hasn't Bin from time to time requested/made healthier meals (at least his omelets are protein), or been a little appalled by some of the things the Duggars fed him?

• Love 6
4 hours ago, DragonFaerie said:

Damn, I almost want to do this.  Of course my 400 projects all going at once brain is like, Oh, make an entire blog about how to turn the disgusting, sodium filled recipes of the Duggarlings into healthy, yummy and appetizing food - complete with their recipe and styrofoam pics next to my pretty presentation.  

I promise I'll follow your blog.  I think this is a great idea.  Duggars will give you plenty of source material.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Pingaponga said:

COSTCO sells Kirkland canned chicken, and it really isn't too bad.  It is just skinless chicken cut up into small chunks.

• Love 5
(edited)
3 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

No, that's not right. He spent 12 grand to basically be an intern for Cross Church (his home church). There were 3 missioncations involved as part of the "program." There are no formal classes. He receives no degree or credits for completing this. It has basically been another wasted year for the Dullards. 

http://www.crosschurchschool.com/about/

I don't think we should underplay Cross Church in today's scheme of things as just some little home church of Derick's, though. The pastor is not only on the Prez's team of evangelical advisors and just came off a stint as prez of the Southern Baptist Convention, he also currently heads the National Day of Prayer -- and you don't get much higher than that in conservative Protestant circles or, in the case of the National Day of Prayer, in overall power circles in America, for that matter. 

That particular church is large and currently VERY influential. So I'm sure Der isn't the only person who's hanging around it in hopes of religious/political social climbing. And I'm dead certain he's far from the only person who got into the program he got into for that very reason. I expect he's one among a large crowd of such wannabes who have done the same thing recently. 

It likely WILL end up a big waste of time and money, because only a small number of people ever make major progress by riding coattails -- and the coattails have to be lucky ones themselves, with staying power, and the jury remains out on this..... But what he's doing is typical Duggar adjacency, I'd say. Jer is trying a similar maneuver with John MacArthur -- although Jer's actually latched onto one that has an actual seminary.  BIn's latched onto various people as well. ........ They all retain their dreams of influence-through religiosity and hanging-around-influential-religious-guys.

Frankly, I don't think any of them will get nearly the bang for the buck they imagine. .... But in a way I still kind of give them some props for trying. The actual Duggarlings -- who I'd think would be ripe for doing the same kind of thing -- don't seem to have the imagination or energy for the religious social climbing that the adjacents are all attempting, 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 8

Does Jill know what fresh food is? It's usually the department at the front of the store, so presumably she walks right past it to get to the canned stuff. 

Even frozen food would be preferable to all the canned stuff she uses.

Also ... why does no recipe have more than two cans of ingredients? I had more (fresh!) ingredients in the omelette I had for dinner then Jill has in her canned chicken "salad".

• Love 3
(edited)

I wasn't downplaying Cross Church, merely pointing out its close proximity to Derelict. ie. The program was literally in his backyard. It's also notable that Cross Church itself shies away from putting "graduates" from the program on its payroll. It's possible that Derelict saw that over the course of this past year and moved toward (possibly) going to law school. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 4

A friend invited me to lunch one day and served an Asian chicken salad, made with canned chicken.  I had never had seen it before, and actually it wasn't bad, although the salad would have been much better IMO with freshly cooked shredded chicken.  My friend is from the south, maybe canned chicken is a southern thing?

(edited)
7 hours ago, DragonFaerie said:
7 hours ago, DragonFaerie said:

Paula Deen’s son had a show titled Not my Mama’s Recipes. That’s is precisely what he did, tweak her recipes to make them healthy. You are on to something there.

Edited by SMama
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, DragonFaerie said:

Walmart - buying a 4 pack of canned chicken breasts comes out to 0.16 an ounce - each can is 12.5 oz.

Fresh, Boneless Skinless Chicken breasts - 0.105 a pound oz.

For 5 1/2 cents more she doesn't have to cook it or chop it, and if she grew up eating canned chicken breast she probably likes the taste and texture. Not to mention $1.68 a pound for fresh, boneless skinless chicken breasts sounds pretty cheap. I live in Idaho and I'm lucky to find them on sale for less than $2 a pound.

I've bought a can or two of chicken breasts on sale and it doesn't taste bad, but I don't like the texture in casseroles and my mind keeps wanting it to taste like tuna fish if I make chicken salad sandwiches out of it.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

COSTCO sells Kirkland canned chicken, and it really isn't too bad.  It is just skinless chicken cut up into small chunks.

I keep this in the pantry and use it with other ingredients in the Instant Pot - like beans and salsa which sounds disgusting while I am typing but there are real recipes on the Instant Pot Facebook page and they are good. I am not a fan of mayo so her recipe wouldn't be for me even with fresh chicken. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Picture It. Sicily said:

Canned chicken and mayo. Canned chicken and mayo. I can't get over it. Does she really think adding lemon and slapping it on a bed of lettuce makes it a recipe??? I think she just broke me. 

Don’t forget, salt and pepper! That’s what really makes it a recipe!

2 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

The picture looks like something my cat cough up. Sorry if I gross anyone out, but yuck, yucky, yuck!!!

My first thought was cat vomit!!

• Love 7

I saw the chicken post on a Jill's IG and came to see someone posted it here. For some reason I thought the refreshing meant she threw in some apples, celery, or onion but again it's just more canned crap with a squeeze of lemon. Jill has all the time the world to cook but she continues to make this thrown together crap. Is it that freaking difficult to throw in some chicken in the oven for an hour and add something to it that isn't just mayo. Even those whole precooked chickens they have at the grocery store would be 100x better. Her "Mama's" recipes are beyond embarrassing. 

• Love 15

Jill really misses the fame.  She posted a blob of broccoli and velveta cheese in a Styrofoam bowl hoping people still adore her. 

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that she drove to Derick's "job" with a container of The Broccoli Blob soup and they had a "romantic" lunch date in the car.  She used to drive him to Walmart so they could spend time together.  She often met him for lunch dates too.  I bet that's why she is in car with The Blob Soup.

Jill, just be careful that The Broccoli Blob does not eat a whole in your Styrofoam bowl. 

• Love 12
9 hours ago, DragonFaerie said:

Now going off the Walmart site, I can buy a 200 count of "styrofoam" dinner plates for 4.84.  That means that they would need to buy 121 packs in a year.  Which gives us a total of $585.64, not including tax, spent on disposable plates.

Also on Walmart I can buy a single plain white ACTUAL plate - you know the kind you wash and dry, for 3.25 each.  Say they buy 60 - that feeds everybody 3 meals a day before you actually have to wash something, other than for snacks, and you get a total of REAL PLATES for $195.00 w/o tax.

That gives the Duggars a savings of roughly $390 a year to buy real, effing plates. 

It gives them a savings of $390 the first year, they wouldn't have to spend another $195 to buy another 60 plates the next year, so they'd save the entire amount.  Or, allowing for breakage, at least a good portion of it. 

• Love 4

Canned or fresh, this “recipe” is bland, to me. Mayo, salt, pepper, and lemon are not blog worthy! She could have used any number of additions. Some use vegetables, some fruit. It’s freaking chicken salad. I guess she thinks the lemon makes it refreshing.

• Love 5
11 hours ago, ginger90 said:

I promise I am NOT making this up.

Refreshing Chicken Salad

May 29, 2018 | Recipes | 0 

This makes a super yummy summer lunch! The freshly squeezed lemon sets this chicken salad off, giving it its amazing flavor!

1 can chicken (12.5oz., drained)

3-4 T mayo

salt (to taste)

pepper (to taste)

1 lemon* (squeeze lemon, making sure to include some pulp too!)

Mix all ingredients together except lemon juice. Add lemon juice 1 tablespoon at a time until desired flavor (I like A LOT of lemon juice!). Serve over a bed of lettuce, as a sandwich, or with crackers for a tasty snack!

71E11CF6-A014-4546-82AC-7F62C73CED1D.jpeg

How is mayo refreshing?

• Love 1

This is my favorite thread because the Dullards are the best to snark on, especially Derdick!  I think the reason we got the Duggar size "recipe" and the pic in the car is because Jill took Mama's recipe to go from the TT house.  And she asked "Mama" for the recipe when she saw what was on the TT menu that day, because she actually really likes this soup.  Of course it was probably Jana who gave her the recipe.  I doubt that Mama does any cooking.  There's also no way that Jill herself made this recipe in this quantity for her little family.  

• Love 4
On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 10:15 PM, queenanne said:

What they are convinced of, is that after a certain age, the child who doesn't "accept Christ into his or her heart" is going to burn in the flames of hellfire eternal when they die.  Even the strictest current fundie theologian doesn't really think God sends babies to hell ("Suffer the little children not, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven"); but nobody knows, really, what the cutoff is; so if you dare to take leave of your senses and let your kid experience a normal teenage adolescence where they wind up being, say, killed by (or as) a drunk driver, that kid is going to hell and that's on you as a parent; but it won't stop your kid going to hell. 

Hmm, maybe this is why Daddy Vuolo spends so much time trying to rescue the Amish. They do have that crazy Rumspringa thing.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

I wasn't downplaying Cross Church, merely pointing out its close proximity to Derelict. ie. The program was literally in his backyard. It's also notable that Cross Church itself shies away from putting "graduates" from the program on its payroll. It's possible that Derelict saw that over the course of this past year and moved toward (possibly) going to law school. 

Yeah, sorry about my phrasing -- I knew you weren't. I  just thought that, based on your wording, anybody who didn't know the current deal with Cross Church might not see that he was likely trying to climb high by this maneuver .... That's such a theme with me that I didn't want anybody to miss it!

• Love 2
(edited)
10 hours ago, riverblue22 said:

A friend invited me to lunch one day and served an Asian chicken salad, made with canned chicken.  I had never had seen it before, and actually it wasn't bad, although the salad would have been much better IMO with freshly cooked shredded chicken.  My friend is from the south, maybe canned chicken is a southern thing?

I think it's more like a class/education/sophistication thing.  Lots and lots of Americans eat a lot of canned food. I certainly know a ton of midwesterners who do. ...

I'm pretty sure it's a shaped-by-history thing. For most of the 20th century, the U.S. food system was quite different from today's food system. It's a huge country, and unless you lived in certain areas, fresh food took a LONG time to get from farm to table, and so much less of it ever even showed up in your market.  And it was a lot more expensive, too, in most cases.Plus, in earlier days older people still dimly remembered enough about farms to worry more about animal poop and dirty hands everywhere and their effects on food safety -- and there was less regulation of food safety, too. So all those facts gave a preference to cans (frozen-food tech took a lot longer to develop) -- as well as to overcooking the heck out of fresh vegetables, for example, when they DID appear .............

Those facts established eating traditions in a lot of families and communities. And home-life traditions like that tend to persist for generations, I think, except among particularly adventurous or thinking people who decide to try something different. And, as we know, the Duggars haven't produced many adventurous or thinking people. They're just leaving a holdover of their great grandparents' Depression-era eating habits, seems to me. .... .I've seen this a lot among my own family and acquaintance, too. Their eating habits aren't unusual when you look at Americans as a whole, I expect. 

Same with the -- Oh, so blaaand!  ... Read the history of food in America in the 20th century -- right up until pretty recently -- and you'll see that that was absolutely the tradition......And the Duggars are OLD American stock, of the came-from-the-British-Isles-and-took-root-in-the-U.S.-centuries-ago, too. Not a family with immigrant traditions from countries that have had a more persistent fresh-food tradition.

And most people don't throw traditions over all that easily. Food traditions are kind of rote because most people don't care much and most people really really like and are attached to the tastes they knew as babies and children...........Salt, pepper, mayonnaise and lemon juice ARE fresh and interesting flavors when you've eaten that way...............My own family didn't even put salt on much of anything, and we didn't even have plain old black pepper in the house. The salt and pepper shaker set had one shaker that had never been used. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 21