Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, BigBingerBro said:

The Scary America missionary gig could have developed more had it not been for clingy, petrified Jill.  I'm sure there is more to why that failed, but who knows.

Watching and waiting....

At one point he claimed that they couldn't continue filming Counting On and the missionary work due to the contract with TLC. But he has also said that they didn't have a contract, so...

• Love 4
29 minutes ago, Triple P said:

At one point he claimed that they couldn't continue filming Counting On and the missionary work due to the contract with TLC. But he has also said that they didn't have a contract, so...

And TLC filmed them in El Salvador, so there's that.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Triple P said:

That's my favorite Derick self-own. What an inconsistent dumbass.

• LOL 7
  • Love 5
18 hours ago, Rootbeer said:

I'm glad they're learning to swim, no matter who is paying for it.  I'm also glad they won't be expected to do so while fully clothed unlike some of their fundie brethren.

I believe every child should learn how to swim. I grew up with a pool and am a good swimmer. Our neighbors daughter fell in at a get together. Her dad jumped in to get her. After that, she learned to swim. 

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

I believe every child should learn how to swim. I grew up with a pool and am a good swimmer. Our neighbors daughter fell in at a get together. Her dad jumped in to get her. After that, she learned to swim. 

So many parents actually don't take their kids swimming. 

Like I don't think Jessa will ever actually give her kids swim lessons. Too much work.

• Love 7
10 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

So many parents actually don't take their kids swimming. 

Like I don't think Jessa will ever actually give her kids swim lessons. Too much work.

It is so important from a safety standpoint! 

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

I agree.

1. They can watch someone else swim for 20 minutes and then learn everything there is to know.

2. Swimming lessons would require that the kids be out of her immediate sphere of influence for an hour a week. God only knows the "pro-Satan" message the swim instructor at the Y could impart in that time.

3. I don't think any of them really associate swimming with fun. Swimming in a lot of clothing isn't fun, and I would consider it dangerous (I wouldn't let a kid in my care swim fully clothed unless I knew he was a strong swimmer).

I also think that Jill is 100% lying. I don't believe for 1 second that JB would pay for swimming lessons or that J'chelle would allow them to swim in anything close to normal swimming attire.

• Love 8
Just now, CalicoKitty said:

It is possible that Jill does not know what "swimming lessons" really are.  She may think it is a time to just play in the pool.  I would love to see the boys on swim team.

It could also be a sweet friend spent half an hour teaching the basics during one of the fundie camping get togethers. 

• Love 13
(edited)

I initially questioned why at least Israel was not in swim lessons. Then I took a good look in the mirror. SBaba had the same swimming trajectory as Derick. Two days after meeting SBaby we were at the hotel pool and SBaby was so comfortable that he got her to place her face under water. Father and daughter never looked back. 

At home we had access to the community pool and SBaba took care of the swim lessons. When SGirl was five we decided to sign her up for swimming classes. SGirl did the water safety, then swim lessons, and already had good free and backstrokes. The swimming teacher asked us what we wanted for SGirl, because she didn’t see the need for us to pay for private lessons when she would easily qualify for a swim team. It had not occurred to us that she was ready. The teacher was right, SGirl has been swimming competitively since.

If Covid gives us a break, SGirl is going to take the Jr. Lifeguard training this summer. We have told her for years that being a lifeguard pays much better than flipping burgers, and working outdoors is a plus. So I can see Derick doing the same with his kids since like begets like. 
It would be nice if Derick works with Jill now that she wears normal bathing suits. It has to be freeing not being weighted down by that awful modest, maxi dress.
Izzy and Sam (and hopefully the Dillard cousins) in competitive swimming would be so good for the family.  If it happens it will create a greater divide between them and the Duggars cousins. 

Edited by SMama
  • Love 14

Didn't Joy disclose the older and younger kids know how to swim but the middle bunch were weaker? I'm guessing Jill can swim a little better than dog paddle and thinks ongoing lessons are for competitive swimming.

Not everyone loves the water or loves to swim, so either way, knowing how to float and doggy paddle is a good thing.

• Love 7

From an article about Felicity taking swimming lessons when they moved to California:

“Our oldest set of kids, they learned how to swim. They took swimming lessons,” Jim Bob said. “And then the younger kids have all got a lot of time swimming at a house that we owned for a while that had a swimming pool in the back yard.”

But a few of the middle kids didn’t get the chance to spend much time splashing in the pool, the parents of 19 explained. “There’s a few of them that probably don’t feel really comfortable getting in the water,” Michelle said. 

A couple of Jinger’s siblings confirmed they weren’t exactly expert swimmers. 

The article:

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/counting-on-jinger-duggar-reveals-she-never-learned-to-swim-as-she-enrolls-daughter-felicity-in-swim-lessons.html/

• Useful 5
  • Love 2

I really don’t see Meechelle letting any of the kids go to a Y for swim lessons. There was probably 20 minutes at some Family Camp where someone explained the basics and we all know that’s enough for a Duggar.

• Love 7

Even with so many lakes in their area, I don't think the Duggars left the compound much. Most of the Duggar 'skills' are things that can be learned in and around the home, so I'm not surprised swimming lessons weren't a regular thing.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Even with so many lakes in their area, I don't think the Duggars left the compound much. Most of the Duggar 'skills' are things that can be learned in and around the home, so I'm not surprised swimming lessons weren't a regular thing.

Plus there’s the whole Duggar time issue to contend with any sort of scheduled lessons. I think Meechelle said there were too many kids to try and do any kind of team sports or something like that. I bet the only reason they had music lessons was the teacher came to them.

• Love 5
57 minutes ago, ozziemom said:

Plus there’s the whole Duggar time issue to contend with any sort of scheduled lessons. I think Meechelle said there were too many kids to try and do any kind of team sports or something like that. I bet the only reason they had music lessons was the teacher came to them.

the other reason would be they used to perform in churches for love offerings I think. so music lessons contributed to JB/duggar enterprises. Swimming or sports for the kids was not going to bring in cash for JB, so no sports.

49 minutes ago, Teriacky said:

If my grandmother had died in a swimming pool (like Mary) I would make damn sure the rest of my family could swim. 

I agree, but I don't think Mary drowned because she couldn't swim. I believe she had a medical emergency and drowned.

• Useful 2
  • Love 17
20 minutes ago, Rootbeer said:

It is perfectly safe for pregnant women to get their hair colored, permed, whatever.  However, I think the color is too light and washes her out.  I think Jill should've gone a litte darker blond, maybe she can get some lowlights.

Maybe its more about inhaling the vapors than exposing the skin, but safe or not, the hairdressers I know still don't color pregnant women's hair.

I agree with you and other posters - the color is too light for Jill's complexion. Also, long hair never fares well at being colored. Jill's hair is going to look like Jinger's did before this kid is born.

• Love 6

I liked the color she did last time better, it was not as light.  But she is happy with it so that is all that matters. I stopped coloring my hair but when I did it was perfectly safe and no bad fumes either. I am super sensitive to some coloring so could only use certain kinds.  Totally safe for pregnant women. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 12

I'm glad Jill's happy with this change, but I agree with the general consensus here. She needs a serious trim and that color is too light for her skin tone.

(I guess I haven't posted in this thread for a while! When I went to reply, there was an old reply I must never have submitted about Derick's take on Christianity.)

• Love 4