Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

Was it Jill or Jessa who let their baby teeth on the pole of a running fan - because it felt good? I know Jill was famous for the dreadful burrito wrap and kids climbing on stacked rolling toys. Jessa was always good for barefoot kids in rusty nail filled areas, they both plopped the kids on tables, but I can't remember who did the fan. And didn't Jill offer the baby tip of placing an infant carseat in an umbrella stroller?

I wonder what differences in parenting will come about with this 5 year gap?

• Love 3
20 hours ago, Cinnabon said:

They may not want to share those details. Well, if they were smart they wouldn’t.

I just meant what type of law is he practicing. Is he doing something similar to what he did when he was in school (I think it involved something with prisoners?)

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
16 minutes ago, madpsych78 said:

I just meant what type of law is he practicing. Is he doing something similar to what he did when he was in school (I think it involved something with prisoners?)

This is what Derick lists on LinkedIn:

1A180F52-5C3B-4AF9-A4C4-BCF218B8163B.jpeg

38 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Was it Jill or Jessa who let their baby teeth on the pole of a running fan - because it felt good?

Wasn’t that Israel? For some reason I think it was in Danger America.

• Useful 7
  • Love 1
39 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Was it Jill or Jessa who let their baby teeth on the pole of a running fan - because it felt good? I know Jill was famous for the dreadful burrito wrap and kids climbing on stacked rolling toys. Jessa was always good for barefoot kids in rusty nail filled areas, they both plopped the kids on tables, but I can't remember who did the fan. And didn't Jill offer the baby tip of placing an infant carseat in an umbrella stroller?

I believe that was Jill while they were living "over seas".

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
14 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

This is what Derick lists on LinkedIn:

1A180F52-5C3B-4AF9-A4C4-BCF218B8163B.jpeg

Wasn’t that Israel? For some reason I think it was in Danger America.

Both the teething on a fan, and the placing of an infant carseat on an umbrella stroller came from the kind of the parenting safety genius known as Jill Dillard. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
21 minutes ago, madpsych78 said:

That Rule XV Attorney gig would have been after he graduated from law school, but before he passed the bar.

. 🤷🏼‍♀️ It still comes under his experience.

Edited by ginger90
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Teach what?

I thought he made a couple more threats after the settlement.

LOL! "Teach what?" indeed. 

He has threatened a tell all after the settlement. Every so often someone on twitter will bring it up and tell him he should write one and he'll make some remark about it being in the works or something. 

There's a reason Derick was drawn to Jim Bob and the family, and that character flaw didn't magically go away because he was disillusioned. 

• Love 7
6 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Now that Derick allegedly has a job what will he do when his feelings get hurt? Hate raging on SM is unprofessional (in most fields, lol). Maybe he'll get Amy to do a few passive-aggressive bullshit posts for him. 📢

I wonder if he had any “incidents” in law school where he griped about anything and if he did maybe someone talked to him about it? Maybe he grew up or maybe he will post something obnoxious. It will be interesting to see what turns up 

• Love 4

We can snark on Michelle Duggar all we want but apparently shre single-handedly invested the travel system. Had she pitched that to Shark Tank when she first did it she’d be a billionaire. 

B31A84CA-8C20-4DD9-9EB5-845F1B421243.jpeg

Edited by Ijustwantsomechips
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

I don’t think she would because that death trap they called “a carseat hack” on an umbrella stroller was unsafe. The above setup was made with safety in mind. Something Michelle doesn’t know shit about. 

• Love 12
4 minutes ago, SMama said:

I don’t think she would because that death trap they called “a carseat hack” on an umbrella stroller was unsafe. The above setup was made with safety in mind. Something Michelle doesn’t know shit about. 

Not at all but she certainly had the same idea.  I wouldn’t recommend her hack but she did have the earliest prototype i’d ever seen. The right R&D snd funding could have gotten a safe finished product.  

9 minutes ago, SMama said:

She doesn’t know or care about it.

Edited by Cinnabon
  • Love 2

Some of Jill’s mistakes as a mother I attribute to the fact that she had an idiot for a mother, but she was brainwashed into believing that Michelle’s mothering method was the best ever. I’m hoping that with experience and more exposure to other moms, Jill will parent this one a little differently. She already seems to have adapted with Izzy and Sam. (I mean, they could still be using the Pearl method, but if they are, they’re hiding it well.)

• Love 17
16 minutes ago, irisheyes said:

Some of Jill’s mistakes as a mother I attribute to the fact that she had an idiot for a mother, but she was brainwashed into believing that Michelle’s mothering method was the best ever. I’m hoping that with experience and more exposure to other moms, Jill will parent this one a little differently. She already seems to have adapted with Izzy and Sam. (I mean, they could still be using the Pearl method, but if they are, they’re hiding it well.)

Not sure if its from Pearl, but around this time last year Jill posted a reel explaining/demonstrating "instant obedience".

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

Jill also has posted pictures of the boys standing on the back seat of the car with their heads out the sun roof while she was driving.  I truly hope she is learning, and is safer with the new baby.

I remember Jill defending this by saying that they were in the neighborhood and going very slowly. 

14 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

I remember Jill defending this by saying that they were in the neighborhood and going very slowly. 

I remember that, too.  But she was on a public street, and  if she had had to slam on her brakes because a kid ran out in front of her, it could have been bad.  Bottom line-- it is not legal to drive with kids unsecured and standing in a moving car.  Sometimes she seems to want to continue living by "Duggar Rules".  I hope she realizes now that people will call her out on things she posts.

• Love 13
3 hours ago, quarks said:

Derick's law degree does qualify him to teach legal courses at a college/graduate level.

Which isn't to say that he should. 

Qualify with just a degree? Colleges around here require their professors have more than a just a degree. I can't think of a program that doesn't list at least 5 years work experience in the field post grad, as a qualification to apply.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Qualify with just a degree? Colleges around here require their professors have more than a just a degree. I can't think of a program that doesn't list at least 5 years work experience in the field post grad, as a qualification to apply.

It depends upon the college, the program, and the specific field. I know more than a few people who started teaching at the undergrad level with just the degree (PhD, JD, in two cases MFAs, and in one case an MA) and limited to no work experience. That whole "ivory tower" thing is a real thing.

And to be fair, assuming Derick's LinkedIn is correct (which, granted, big assumption) he does have relevant legal work experience. I don't think the University of Arkansas or any other major university/college will be hiring him at any time soon, but on paper, at least, he looks qualified to teach introductory criminal law courses at a community college or other small college. 

Again, that doesn't mean he should. I think we can all list multiple reasons why he shouldn't.

• Love 7

3.2 GPA and he says he was in the "top 1/2 of class"?  My SW program requires a 3.0 to graduate, so a 3.2 would have him in the bottom half. Does that mean AR is full of C grade lawyers?

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
46 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

3.2 GPA and he says he was in the "top 1/2 of class"?  My SW program requires a 3.0 to graduate, so a 3.2 would have him in the bottom half. Does that mean AR is full of C grade lawyers?

I’ve always thought unless you’re in the top 5-10% of your class it’s better to not announce your grades. Ozziedad often tells people he graduated in the top 4/5 of his high school class (yes in the bottom) mostly to see their reaction since he graduated at the top of both college and law school. Dreck is probably so used to Jill going Yay about his grades, he thinks he’s more than average.

• LOL 2
  • Love 12
2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

It isn't exactly a competitive school.  Last I looked it was the only law school in Arkansas and it was mostly students from Arkansas and the closely surrounding counties who would likely want to be licensed in AR.  The requirements to get in aren't among the highest in the country.  

No one I know would post about a 3.2 average or top half of the class in law school.  My daughter was in the top 10 and has never posted that anywhere that I know about.  People who needed to know already knew.  It's another sign of how Derick is still a bit clueless about life and his relative position in the world. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 14

I don’t remember even including my grade point average on my resume after grad school. No potential employer cared about that. They just wanted to discuss the position and my related experience. Maybe it’s different for law graduates? Derick should have seen many templates/examples of recent law school grads’ resumes.

• Love 5

I was actually wondering about his GPA. That would be considered pretty low in the English graduate department, at least when I was there. Granted, I think we had some pretty healthy grade inflation going on, but if you ended up with a B in a class, it was kind of looked at as a bitch slap by the professor. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
3 minutes ago, Zella said:

I was actually wondering about his GPA. That would be considered pretty low in the English graduate department, at least when I was there. Granted, I think we had some pretty healthy grade inflation going on, but if you ended up with a B in a class, it was kind of looked at as a bitch slap by the professor. 

I think it seems OK for law school presuming they don't grade on a curve and virtually everyone who gets in is above average in intelligence.

Med school is pass/fail; at least mine was.  75% was passing in the classwork part.  Clinical rotations were assessed by the attendings and residents on service with the med student and it was mainly pass/fail.  I never heard of anyone failing a clinical rotation, though, you'd have to do something pretty egregious.  The faculty could also add a letter of commendation or honors to their assessment for students who they felt were particularly skilled.  There were also awards for people who got the highest cumulative scores in the didactics portion.

I got a commendation in a couple of rotations and cannot imagine ever putting that on my CV.  Maybe if I'd been asked to join AOA (med school honors fraternity), but I wasn't AOA material.

• Useful 6
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, Rootbeer said:

I think it seems OK for law school presuming they don't grade on a curve and virtually everyone who gets in is above average in intelligence.

Med school is pass/fail; at least mine was.  75% was passing in the classwork part.  Clinical rotations were assessed by the attendings and residents on service with the med student and it was mainly pass/fail.  I never heard of anyone failing a clinical rotation, though, you'd have to do something pretty egregious.  The faculty could also add a letter of commendation or honors to their assessment for students who they felt were particularly skilled.  There were also awards for people who got the highest cumulative scores in the didactics portion.

I got a commendation in a couple of rotations and cannot imagine ever putting that on my CV.  Maybe if I'd been asked to join AOA (med school honors fraternity), but I wasn't AOA material.

That makes sense. I wasn't really aware what was considered normal in law school. I know as an undergrad, my roommate was in computer science, and it was pretty widely accepted that nobody was making it out of that program with a 4.0. 

I don't remember anyone failing in my lit program at the U of A. I do remember some guy getting kicked out of it, but my impression was it was more behavioral than academic. He was a poet and was really weird. LOL 

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, Zella said:

But did the grades really matter once you graduated? The only time it can be useful to include them on a resume is if someone doesn’t have any work experience, and that would be highly unusual for anyone with a graduate or other advanced degree. 

• Love 5
1 minute ago, Cinnabon said:

But did the grades really matter once you graduated? The only time it can be useful to include them on a resume is if someone doesn’t have any work experience, and that would be highly unusual for anyone with a graduate or other advanced degree. 

I used to list them quietly on my resume when I first graduated. Finding a job with a humanities graduate degree in the middle of nowhere in Arkansas is not fun, whether or not you have work experience. But several years out, no, I don't. 

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 2
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, Cinnabon said:

I would also think it would be more meaningful for those who attended one of the elite schools such as Harvard or Yale, to comment on their placement within the class since those folks are usually going to be trying to get one of the scarcer jobs with an upper echelon practice.

Derick is seemingly looking for a regular job in a regular law firm, I don't think his class rank is all that relevant.

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

Grades matter for your first job out of law school- I graduated in 2010. But I agree with @Rootbeer that Derick has always had an inflated opinion of himself. I talked about my grades in interviews, not on LinkedIN.

• Love 6

I mean I came from a class of 5 in my cohort so if I was #1, I was in the top 20% (doctorate in school psychology).

I'm not that impressed with a 3.2 GPA, but I think it would depend on what law students typically get. I also think that advertising you're in the top half is not that impressive. I would have just not put anything at all.

• Love 11
14 minutes ago, MunichNark said:

As per Reddit, they are in the midst of selling their house. Apparently sale pending. Wonder why?

They bought it for $187,729, and listed it for $279,900. If it’s a pending sale, it was on the market for 4 days. (That’s per Zillow, Trulia has $188,00, and $280,000) Not a bad move if they can find or have found something else.

Edited by ginger90
  • Useful 6
  • Love 6

If the Dillards really are moving, then our title thread is even more relevant. I hope they are moving to a bigger home (suck it, Jessa!) that is closer to Derick's new job. I would think they'd want to keep the boys going to the school system Derick attended. I hope they're not moving in with Cathy!

• Love 6

9E41BF0E-54AC-4A04-8EF0-0405A2E5B6BA.jpeg

We Are Moving!

Apr 19, 2022 | Family Blog | 0 

We are joining the masses of people who are currently navigating this crazy real estate market…we are moving!! 

We are sad to say goodbye to our very first home that we bought three years ago, but pray it brings much joy to the next family who will get to make memories here.

We are moving for a new job Derick recently accepted and are super excited for new adventures!

Edited by ginger90
  • Useful 7
  • Love 14
1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

They bought it for $187,729, and listed it for $279,900. If it’s a pending sale, it was on the market for 4 days. (That’s per Zillow, Trulia has $188,00, and $280,000) Not a bad move if they can find or have found something else.

They just bought it 3 years ago,  That is a tremendous profit for them if they've got something reasonable lined up to move into.  That's the problem for a lot of people, their homes have appreciated a lot, but so have homes for sale.  Selling at the top of the market is great, buying not so much.

Sounds like they need to move to put Derick closer to his new job, which is a good thing.  I presume his employer will also cover some or all of their moving expenses, which is great.

Edited by Rootbeer
  • Love 16

Yikes, Derick's job is so far away they need to move? They must be moving outside of NW AR. Tons of changes for the Dillards - new job, new school system, new baby and new neighborhood.

If history tells us anything, Jill is in for a difficult time.

• Love 10

Since they have to move Derick’s new job is probably not within a comfortable driving distance. I’m curious as to where this new job is located. Baby due in July, a move or two (if they rent first), and a new school for Israel. That is a lot of change in a short time. 

• Love 10
1 minute ago, Lady Whistleup said:

If they can get a good value on their house and move to a bigger house that's more convenient for Derick, good for them.

That’s my thought also. They may have gotten way over asking, also. That’s how it’s going around here. 

• Love 4

Just for fun I looked up government positions. While there are some in their area the others are mostly in Little Rock or Pines Bluff.

I would assume this job is at least an hour away for them to be moving.

• Useful 3