Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

A two-hour special?  On Teen Mom they got 5 mins, hahaha.  It will be interesting to see how they are going to work this one though.  Even with MEchelle recapping all her births and the spiel about the happy couple getting married/announcing the pregnancy and Jill's baby shower, there is still a lot of time left.  Maybe it is just me but I don't really want to see an hour of a woman in labour.  Sure you can throw in 'Dilly's first day!', 'Announcing the baby name!' and 'Dilly comes home!' but there is going to have to be some solid filling work to stretch it out to 2 hours. 

I can't decide if I will actually want to give up 2 hours of my life for that when I will already know the outcome, lol.  

• Love 1

It's 54 minutes later- any news? lol

Nothing exciting. At the end of the All About Jessa episode they showed a home video (narrated by Boob) of Jill and Derick saying...they're still pregnant. Even panned down for a belly shot. Jill declared that she's feeling great and eating protein. Boob declared he is praying. The end.

• Love 2

Jill and Derick could say no to TLC. I do not think TLC is putting a gun to their heads.

Right - Boob is the one holding the gun. Although I'm guessing he felt Derick out, in his crafty Boob-ish way, about TLC and the whole being-on-TV deal before he handed over Jill's phone number etc - and long before he agreed to any courting.

• Love 2

I'm no Walmart fan, for the way they treat their store employees - and the crappy quality of their items - but Walmart's BoDs are no dummies. They see what inclusiveness has done to other companies bottom lines, abd the public perception.

My guess is JB had to have known what Walmart - as a global corporation - us all abt. He wouldn't have let his precious favorite daughter marry Derrick if he was concerned that it woukd turn either one to progressive thinking.

PS. KMart us actually less expensive,

• Love 2

but he's also clearly in love with being in love

What a perfect statement. I think that's the emotion behind both Jill's and Jessa's gushing about getting married. It's more the 'idea' of being in love and marrying that seems to appeal to them.

• Love 1
(edited)

Kudos to Baby Dillard for not being born to upstage the airing of Aunt Jessa's wedding. That's tact not usually seen in a Duggar. Must be a Dillard thing.

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 7

I don't see any indication at all that Derick has plans to leave WalMart outside of internet chatterers like us. 

I don't mean to appear ignorant, but does Derek really work for Walmart? If so, I thought that store did not pay good wages? How can Derick's wages support anyone? Also, what did Derrick do for a job in Nepal?

• Love 1

I don't mean to appear ignorant, but does Derek really work for Walmart? If so, I thought that store did not pay good wages? How can Derick's wages support anyone? Also, what did Derrick do for a job in Nepal?

Derick works at the corporate offices as an accountant, not in the actual stores. Their front office employees are salaried and make a much better living than those who are in the stores as cashiers and whatnot.

• Love 3

Regarding the 2 hour special: This family can stretch anything out to feel  like 2 hours any way. They will re-cap for us following each commercial break. They've got it down pat. Blah blah blah............

• Love 3

And that includes my 38 hour, unmedicated labor with 2 hours of pushing out a posterior baby.

I totally read this as pushing a baby out the posterior.

I was wondering what kind of mixed up plumbing you had to make that possible.

• Love 7

I feel your pain, 3girls, literally!  My first happened the same way, though he s-l-o-w-l-y broke my tailbone on the way out.  It was about a year before I could sit properly, lol. 

It's been fun following Jill and Derrick, vicariously.  While I would make different choices than theirs about 95% of the time, there's nothing quite like the excitement, fear and anticipation of your first baby.  I just hope they get to enjoy the experience exactly as they want to -- it can be so surreal as it's happening -- without certain family members making it all about themselves (cough/Michelle).

• Love 2

I feel your pain, 3girls, literally!  My first happened the same way, though he s-l-o-w-l-y broke my tailbone on the way out.  It was about a year before I could sit properly, lol. 

It's been fun following Jill and Derrick, vicariously.  While I would make different choices than theirs about 95% of the time, there's nothing quite like the excitement, fear and anticipation of your first baby.  I just hope they get to enjoy the experience exactly as they want to -- it can be so surreal as it's happening -- without certain family members making it all about themselves (cough/Michelle).

"My first...s-l-o-w-l-y broke my tailbone..." I take it from your statement that you decided to have another go at pregnancy? After what you went thru the first go around? OMG, you women are SO much stronger than I could ever be! <bowing to you all>
  • Love 4
(edited)

Totally knew you were faking us out. Who would name their kid Dilly Dillard?

Ummm....wait a minute. We are talking about Jilly Muffin, here. 

The People article said that MEchelle would be giving motherly advice too. What advice could she possibly give?!!!

How to hand your infant off to someone else to raise.

How to make charting your cycle a family activity. Like Scrabble Night!

Alphabetizing your anti-anxiety medications. 

How to feel up your teenage son-in-law on the down low. 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 6

Ha -- the pain is not forgotten, total myth!  I would've gladly taken any drugs they offered me, but it was much too late for that by that point of labor and delivery.  But the first was the worst, the other two a piece of (drug-free)cake in comparison.

But I'm feeling for Jill -- I have a very high threshold for pain, and it's apparent that she doesn't.  I just hope Derrick will advocate for his wife if she really can't handle it.  There's nothing worse than being told to suck it up when you're in that position.

• Love 1

Regarding the 2 hour special: This family can stretch anything out to feel  like 2 hours any way. They will re-cap for us following each commercial break. They've got it down pat. Blah blah blah............

Yes, this is very true. WHY do they feel they need to update and summarize at the beginning of each episode AND each segment within that episode? "So I'm engaged to DerrickDillard yadda yadda yadda..." Do they - or TLC - really think there are brand-new viewers popping in at all different points? Good grief. Personally I'm thinking they do it because they need to fill time somehow. Simply running out of things to film. Did they do this in the earlier years? I don't remember it if they did...

• Love 4

Yes, this is very true. WHY do they feel they need to update and summarize at the beginning of each episode AND each segment within that episode? "So I'm engaged to DerrickDillard yadda yadda yadda..." Do they - or TLC - really think there are brand-new viewers popping in at all different points? Good grief. Personally I'm thinking they do it because they need to fill time somehow. Simply running out of things to film. Did they do this in the earlier years? I don't remember it if they did...

I have to dvr this show in particular!  The repetition is disgusting.  I probably watched a 2 hour show in under an hour!  Only way to fly. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Although Jill may not have a very high threshold for pain, I am sure she will do just fine.

I do have a tendency to faint when I have severe abdominal pain.  I had a few incidents during my teens when I suffered from pretty severe cramps.  Naturally I was nervous about how childbirth would play out, but all 3 times, 2 with no anesthesia, I did not even come close to passing out. Not trying to sound poetic or noble,but there is just something about labour and delivery that brings out the strength in women.  Maybe it's all the hormones ?

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 1
(edited)

One thing I feel pretty confident about - Derick and his mother aren't Josh and his mother. One of the things I always worried about with Anna is that that not only did they have the financial incentive for a full (and hopefully interesting) home birth, there was also the possibility that they simply didn't have insurance. I don't know if they did or not, but it was always in the back of my head that short of something going really wrong, Anna couldn't really rely on her husband and mother-in-law to fully protect her. And given that with the exception of birth number three, she didn't even have a lay midwife or her own mother, I never felt she was emotionally protected. (And I'm not an anti-Josh person. I think Josh loves Anna very much. But I'm also not immune to the idea that a big hospital big is a really scary thing for a young couple to be facing.)

But Derick and Cathy aren't from this same culture and if Jill needs the voice for someone to push her to go to a hospital or not, they will be that voice, and they will be adequately insured to make the choice a reasonable one.

And Anna will have more choices this time too. I am totally 100% a woman having the birth she wants to have, but I like knowing that it's 100% her choice the entire time, too!

Edited by GEML
  • Love 10

And whose job is it at TLC to create those idiotic pop ups during the episodes? I would be very embarrassed to admit it was mine.

• Love 7

Ha -- the pain is not forgotten, total myth!  I would've gladly taken any drugs they offered me, but it was much too late for that by that point of labor and delivery.  But the first was the worst, the other two a piece of (drug-free)cake in comparison.

But I'm feeling for Jill -- I have a very high threshold for pain, and it's apparent that she doesn't.  I just hope Derrick will advocate for his wife if she really can't handle it.  There's nothing worse than being told to suck it up when you're in that position.

Well there is one thing worse that being told to suck it up... when I was pushing with my 2nd daughter my midwife wanted me to try a really deep squat to help because she was posterior and seemed determined to come out facing the wrong way. That opens up your pelvis more. Fine. So I try that and apparently the first time I didn't get deep enough. My husband says 'you are doing it wrong'. Note here... this was 16 years ago and I still remember :-)

Although Jill may not have a very high threshold for pain, I am sure she will do just fine.

I do have a tendency to faint when I have severe abdominal pain.  I had a few incidents during my teens when I suffered from pretty severe cramps.  Naturally I was nervous about how childbirth would play out, but all 3 times, 2 with no anesthesia, I did not even come close to passing out. Not trying to sound poetic or noble,but there is just something about labour and delivery that brings out the strength in women.  Maybe it's all the hormones ?

Its the endorphins. Your body releases a lot of endorphins during unmedicated labor. 

• Love 2

One thing I feel pretty confident about - Derick and his mother aren't Josh and his mother. One of the things I always worried about with Anna is that that not only did they have the financial incentive for a full (and hopefully interesting) home birth, there was also the possibility that they simply didn't have insurance. I don't know if they did or not, but it was always in the back of my head that short of something going really wrong, Anna couldn't really rely on her husband and mother-in-law to fully protect her. And given that with the exception of birth number three, she didn't even have a lay midwife or her own mother, I never felt she was emotionally protected.

WOW - I haven't seen or read much about Anna's births, beyond the toilet part, but that would scare the daylights out of me. I'm sure it's obvious by now that I have had home births and am a proponent of them for women who want them and for those for whom they are medically appropriate but NEVER would I voluntarily give birth without a midwife present. Personally I wouldn't use a lay midwife either. I think a CNM is the safest choice, but at least a lay midwife is there with training and as an advocate for the mother and baby. Having Michele and Josh as your only care givers is not worrisome emotionally but potentially dangerous physically. 

• Love 6

I'm not sure it was a hospital bill Josh was worried about.  The original plan, at least what they said on TV, was for Anna to have a hospital birth with Dr. Sarver who was Michelle's OB at the time.  Then the excuse on TV was that Dr Sarver was out of town so they decided to do it at home.  My guess at the time was the on call OB refused to be filmed.  That one went fairly well and then there was Michael and that seemed to be an experience Anna didn't want to repeat.  

Of course, I want Jill and Dilly to be healthy, but the evil side of me hopes she has a c-section and is told right off the bat that she will have to have sections in the future and only three more tops.  It might be devastating to her at the time, but perhaps it could be precedent changing for the rest of the family.  I'm sure she's going to have a healthy baby in a home birth and be pregnant again by summer though.  

• Love 3

The big thing to me is, without insurance, you look at things differently. I lived without it most of my twenties (not when I was pregnant, thankfully) but it does factor into to decision making.

And again, I'm someone who thinks Michelle was kind to Anna during the first two deliveries and Josh was very supportive as well. (I didn't even mind the nap - I told my husband to nap.) I just never felt that she really had someone there who was both knowledgeable AND not at least a little restrained by the finances. I know if I had been in her position, I would have worried about finances, and looked to my husband to say it's ok. Not because I'm a submissive wife (I have had enough ministers tell me Im not, thank you!) but because I lived that life and I know what it means.

I'm grateful that Derick and Jill won't face the same concern, and Josh and Anna won't this time either.

And I hope they all have easy, relatively comfortable home births with healthy babies.

• Love 4

I still don't think insurance was an issue with Anna.  They had planned a hospital birth all along and Jim Bob has consistently said they have real insurance so I'm sure he showed Josh how to get insurance.  That's one thing I don't think he's cavalier about.  That"s not to say that it isn't a major consideration for many home births.  I think filming was the issue for them and then Anna thought why not continue.  

I realize my birth experiences are not the norm and definitely color why I think husbands should not nap.  My longest labor was 4.5 hours and the latest in the day delivery was 4 PM.  Naps did not come up.  I also had all non-medicated births but with every piece of monitoring equipment L&D could find.  That always seemed to mystify the doctors why the woman with health conditions and high risk pregnancies wanted to go all earth mother as they called it.  

I'm not sure if I'd view things differently if I'd ever labored through the night.  In my situation I always needed my medically trained husband awake and on top of checking things along with the staff.  I don't think he ever left the room unless it was to summon help so he must have felt the same need as I did.   Also there is no way I'd have been comfortable having a MIL or SIL helping me labor so a napping husband would have left me on my own.  

I wish Dill Pickle would get on with it though.  It's time to get an eviction notice, child!   

• Love 2

Is there a chance that Jill conceived her baby very late in the month and that's why he hasn't yet arrived? I know how the doctors count using your the date of your last cycle, but I remember Jill saying that she had taken several pregnancy tests and they were negative until she took one of Michelle's tests. Those tests are accurate now within a few days of conception, aren't they? I think with my kids, both times I took the tests when I was 10 days late and I tested positive both times. This was in 1993 and 1997, I'm sure the tests have gotten more accurate since then.

• Love 1

I wish I were as confident as you are that they had insurance. But I imagine it was the catastrophic kind, and the bill still would have been large. I never thought she planned on a hospital birth, but that's just my opinion.

I had a very long labor, also hooked up. I had one induction (at 41+ weeks) where I labored for eight hours, made no progress, and went home to sleep in my own bed, came back, and my son still wasn't born until the following day. A nap was essential, as were food breaks. Obviously, I share Jill's type of baby! Even if she goes in after him, he may still not want to come out! ;)

One thing I feel pretty confident about - Derick and his mother aren't Josh and his mother. One of the things I always worried about with Anna is that that not only did they have the financial incentive for a full (and hopefully interesting) home birth, there was also the possibility that they simply didn't have insurance. I don't know if they did or not, but it was always in the back of my head that short of something going really wrong, Anna couldn't really rely on her husband and mother-in-law to fully protect her. And given that with the exception of birth number three, she didn't even have a lay midwife or her own mother, I never felt she was emotionally protected. (And I'm not an anti-Josh person. I think Josh loves Anna very much. But I'm also not immune to the idea that a big hospital big is a really scary thing for a young couple to be facing.)

But Derick and Cathy aren't from this same culture and if Jill needs the voice for someone to push her to go to a hospital or not, they will be that voice, and they will be adequately insured to make the choice a reasonable one.

And Anna will have more choices this time too. I am totally 100% a woman having the birth she wants to have, but I like knowing that it's 100% her choice the entire time, too!

I remember that first home birth, thinking that piece of shit asshole husband made her stay home to cash in from TLC.    She was so young and look so frightened.

• Love 4

I think Jim Bob is savvy enough to not want to pay large hospital bills and passed that along to Josh and probably will to all his children or at least the sons. He discussed the type of insurance they had at a reasonable length in an early interview.   Insurance at least then was not all that expensive in Arkansas and it would have been tons cheaper to buy the insurance than run the risk of even one emergency hospital birth.  Michelle had enough c sections to warrant caution in that area.   I can't see why Anna would have seen Dr Sarver through 38 weeks unless she planned to have her deliver the baby, but that's me.  

I feel for anyone who has the cosily nesting babies. Our neighbor's daughter was one of the hardest cases I know.  It took 3 attempts at induction to get one of hers out.  My longest pregnancy was 38 weeks.  I obviously had ones with escaping on their minds.  

Hopefully Jill's labor won't be as extended as the pregnancy has been.  Here's hoping she's in labor right now.  :)  Also thankfully there is a hospital very close to their house.

I'm not sure it was a hospital bill Josh was worried about.  The original plan, at least what they said on TV, was for Anna to have a hospital birth with Dr. Sarver who was Michelle's OB at the time.  Then the excuse on TV was that Dr Sarver was out of town so they decided to do it at home.  My guess at the time was the on call OB refused to be filmed.  That one went fairly well and then there was Michael and that seemed to be an experience Anna didn't want to repeat.  

Of course, I want Jill and Dilly to be healthy, but the evil side of me hopes she has a c-section and is told right off the bat that she will have to have sections in the future and only three more tops.  It might be devastating to her at the time, but perhaps it could be precedent changing for the rest of the family.  I'm sure she's going to have a healthy baby in a home birth and be pregnant again by summer though.

Absolom, I am so glad you were bold enough to put your thoughts out there, bc honestly there's a part of me that hopes for the same thing. And I say that (as I'm sure you do as well) with the best intention of wishing her and the baby the safest and healthiest delivery. I just don't want to see her turn into Michelle's doppelgänger strapped down with 10 -15 kids.

• Love 13

I just don't want to see her turn into Michelle's doppelgänger strapped down with 10 -15 kids.

Thank you for understanding the intent.  :)  That's exactly it.  Those kids need to understand that they don't have to follow their parents' craziness and that not everyone can or should have as many children as they can possibly produce.  

• Love 8

Is there a chance that Jill conceived her baby very late in the month and that's why he hasn't yet arrived? I know how the doctors count using your the date of your last cycle, but I remember Jill saying that she had taken several pregnancy tests and they were negative until she took one of Michelle's tests. Those tests are accurate now within a few days of conception, aren't they? I think with my kids, both times I took the tests when I was 10 days late and I tested positive both times. This was in 1993 and 1997, I'm sure the tests have gotten more accurate since then.

This actually occurred to me too. Pregnancy tests are super accurate these days and she did say she took several before getting a positive. I think it's likely she didn't conceive when she thinks she did. Even if she's regular that doesn't mean she ovulates exactly mid-cycle. You can usually get a faint positive within a week of conception. If she didn't get a positive until after a few tests (assuming she didn't take them all on the same day) then she may have conceived later than she thought. She did mention she had a different due date of April 5 but I didn't hear what prompted the change. Due dates are often changed by ultrasound measurements but I don't know if she had an u/s. If she had one and it showed a date of April 5 and she didn't get a positive until later than she expected I'd say she might not even be 40 weeks yet. 

• Love 1

She certainly had an ultrasound - that was on the show. But ultrasounds are only a tool. It's possible that they didn't see a radiologist, given that they were having a home birth, and thus they might be off by a week. But not much more than. Most ultrasound techs are pretty good at their jobs.

(edited)

Ahh... I missed that episode. But that's what I meant.. the radiologists and u/s techs are good at their jobs. If they said her due date is really April 5 then combine that with what seems to be a late positive pregnancy test which would support a later date then she wouldn't be nearly 41 weeks... she'd be 39 1/2 weeks. I assume her saying she had a 2nd due date - April 5 - came from the u/s.

Edited by 3girlsforus
  • Love 1

I thought Jill said the "second due date" of April 5th was because first-time mothers frequently have babies late, so she was expecting to have her own baby late, thus April 5th is about 10 days or so past her original due date.