Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

Really -- wow. I haven't had a child, nor do I really know the fundie world -- so I was just speculating.

If you're having a home birth but ultimately need to go to the hospital, who makes that decision? Would Jill's midwife say -- this is getting dangerous, we have to go? How much monitoring is there for a home birth? Are they monitoring the mother/baby's heart rate etc so they know when things are getting dangerous? Or is it more like -- hmm most moms don't have this much trouble until transition, maybe something is wrong -- let's go to the hospital.

Honestly, if she if she did go to the hospital, it might be simply because she decided the pain was more than she could handle.  It's one thing to see people in pain and help them through it- but another completely to be going through it yourself.  

Some people can take it and others can't.  I was really on the can't side and thought I was on the natural childbirth side.  It doesn't really matter.  What matters is getting through it  and having a healthy happy baby- either way.  

Edited by truthtalk2014
  • Love 5

Really -- wow. I haven't had a child, nor do I really know the fundie world -- so I was just speculating.

If you're having a home birth but ultimately need to go to the hospital, who makes that decision? Would Jill's midwife say -- this is getting dangerous, we have to go? How much monitoring is there for a home birth? Are they monitoring the mother/baby's heart rate etc so they know when things are getting dangerous? Or is it more like -- hmm most moms don't have this much trouble until transition, maybe something is wrong -- let's go to the hospital.

I honestly hope there isn't anything remotely troubling here, if it is true. But I still think Jilly Muffin, who went positively numb with fear just at the prospect of having some teeth pulled, has probably experienced her first few contractions, realized that the amount of pain she anticipated wasn't anywhere close to being accurate, and quickly decided it was far beyond her ability to cope. Don't blame her one bit for getting herself to the nearest epidural ASAP.

• Love 2

I did not pick a family name of either of my kids and I hope she goes random. Not likely, but it's my secret hope lol.

Labor with the first is usually longer... and Jill looks like she is having a huge child or surprise twins. I hope she has whatever she needs, and that it is a healthy child.

• Love 2

Anna was the one pushed into the home birth with Kenzie. God forbid a male dr has to see her lady parts.

Probably because they had no insurance and they can't get into debt with medical bills.

You guys are cracking me up with all these krazy names for the baby! 

• Love 2

They're going to have a two hour Baby DIlly VSE in May. It's part of Mother's Week on TLC. Their version of Shark Week.

They figured out how to have a baby during Holy Week (most likely unless she goes REAL late), AND have the birth shown during May Sweeps! May 5th is the official air date. 

http://www.people.com/article/19-kids-counting-birth-jill-duggar-may-5-mother-of-all-weeks

eta: Note that People is right there with the Duggar PR peeps with this information...they WILL be the ones to break this story...in THEIR timing...Even if Jill gives birth tomorrow, we won't know until Wednesday, since they can't spoil the airing of Blessa's wedding.

Edited by Sew Sumi

The answer to this could get long and massively off topic but I'll try to be brief. As far as who makes the decision - it can be either the mom or the midwife. If the mom at any point wants to go to the hospital because she wants meds or isn't happy for whatever reason she can tell them she's going even if things are fine with both mom and baby. If there are medical reasons to go then usually it will be the midwife who will say we need to transfer and explain why and what will happen next. Most of the time the major reasons for transfer will have been discussed prior to labor so if they happen the mom should already know why it means a transfer is necessary. 

As far as monitoring, yes things are monitored during labor. Heart rates for both mom and baby, blood pressure, temperature of the mom after the membranes have ruptured, periodic cervical checks - other things I can't remember off the top of my head. Midwives are trained to see the signs of potential problems. 

The reason I suspect that if Jill is actually at the hospital it means there were complications is that typically someone as versed in birthing as she is, assuming the information about her midwife education is accurate, will not transfer due to pain. In fact the number of homebirthers who transfer for pain meds is very low. For my midwives it was less than 5%. Of course that doesn't mean Jill didn't change her mind but I'm just saying I suspect that wouldn't be the cause if she is indeed in the hospital. 

Edited by 3girlsforus
  • Love 3

Ugh. They've gone live with a website.

http://www.dillardfamily.com/

Read "How I Met the Girl of My Dreams" and question whether Derick's college diploma is real. For someone who expects to write and deliver sermons one day, and is trying to sell himself now, this is some very poorly written dreck. (eta: This IS their site; they posted the link on Instagram earlier today)

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 3

Its different for people. My mother was named after grandmother and loved it because she really loved her grandmother and she was a really cool lady. I've always loved my paternal grandmother's name and would love to name my daughter and my great-great maternal grandmother also has a name I love and was pretty awesome lady. I'd love to name my son after my grandpa but he didn't like his name.

Edited by andromeda331

I'll add to 3girls that Jill has a true aversion to needles, and a hospital means needles - epidural or no. I've seen no evidence that she can't handle pain, especially in the context of a birth which, while painful is nothing like wisdom teeth (many people have a genuine teeth phobia) or being told by your father that she's going to give blood (ie, not painful, but a needle.)

In a birthing experience, she's doing what she most wants to do for the best possible reason with the people she loves most around her. That's not going to take away pain per se, but it's a completely different mental environment, and if you don't think that pain has a mental and emotional component to it, then you can just pretend you never read this post.

So I think if Jill went to the hospital it was because her midwife advised her to go, and she was smart enough to listen. She's at 41 weeks, with a baby that has, at least from the exterior, looked large (doesn't mean anything, but still) and if she has the baby at home, that's great too.

• Love 5

Its different for people. My mother was named after grandmother and loved it because she really loved her grandmother and she was a really cool lady. I've always loved my paternal grandmother's name and would love to name my daughter and my great-great maternal grandmother also has a name I love and was pretty awesome lady. I'd love to name my son after my grandpa but he didn't like his name.

My mom is the last in a long line of Lydia's dating back to the early 1800's. The tradition was the first born son would name his first born daughter Lydia. My great-great grandmother was Lydia, but she only had 2 kids, both daughters. My grandmother didn't want the tradition to end so she chose the name. My uncle, the first and only son, should have named his daughter Lydia, but went with Lindsey instead. I'm hoping that my nephew will one day have a daughter and name her Lydia since he's the first born son, but given he's 19, not too soon. 

• Love 1

Not a fan of naming a child after someone else. Can't a baby get his own name?

I was named after my father's sister. Irritating since she died 6 years beore my dad was born. Pointless.

I thought that Jill said somewhere that they weren't doing an initial, but were planning to use family names. I only read it here on the board, so it may have not come from a reliable source.

For me, at least, the point of a family name is not specifically to honor a living person, but to honor someone that you care about -- especially if that person is no longer alive. In my family, we each have one family name, and one name that is unique. I like it a lot, although I will admit to being biased.

• Love 1

I think family names are nice if the parents want to do that. But sometimes they don't work out - Rick James is a good example. (My son could have been named Bruce Wayne!) or the father's surname sounds odd with a mother's family name.

But mostly I think people should name their children what they want to name them.

• Love 2

Read "How I Met the Girl of My Dreams" and question whether Derick's college diploma is real. For someone who expects to write and deliver sermons one day, and is trying to sell himself now, this is some very poorly written dreck. (eta: This IS their site; they posted the link on Instagram earlier today)

They could both use a refresher course in writing!

• Love 2

I'm assuming no one knows for sure if Jill is in the hospital, just speculation based on...the possibility of complications due to how long ago it was announced through her neighbors bc of the number of cars parked in her driveway?

Jill could be in labor for 2 days easily. I don't think she knows how to manage pain well. I'm sure she's fine. But if I was Jill and I wanted to have a home delivery, I would not put myself in the care of a lay midwife. I don't want to insult those who have, but for me I would want a CNM.

Hahaha, Jill did the normal girl thing and googled Derick.

"Love at first Skype"? That doesn't sound like guarding your heart Jill.

• Love 3

Their story sounded so familiar and I remembered where.....The Knot.  I went to look but now a password is needed.  Pictures and their story was viewable then but not anymore.

http://www.theknot.com/wedding/view/login.aspx?uid=5387319763559245&pId=42210473

Edited by abseedee

I know at this point it's just rumor that she's in the hospital anyway, but if she is I hope she's okay and everyone else is too. I have zero medical experience but she did look really big to me in the last pic I saw, so I have been worried for her. I hope she can do things the way she wants to.

• Love 3

Too bad they don't publish the emails where Jim Bob dates Derrick first.

OMG - best comment of the day so far. I LOL'd here at my dining room table!! That's right, I remember now. Derick was Boob's boyfriend first...

• Love 3

I guess it's official: Muffy's hanging up her stethoscope. 

From a young age, my parents encouraged each of us kids to gain as many life skills as we could to benefit this world and better equip us to share the gospel with others. When I was 16 years old I went through 12 weeks of childbirth classes with a single mom friend of mine as her support person. I had only attended 2 of my mom's births, so I learned a lot in the classes. After spending more time with the class instructor, I met and started assisting midwives in the area at births. Through the wise, Godly counsel of my parents and friends, I started pursuing midwifery training and education to become licensed as a Certified Professional Midwife (they specialize in low-risk out of hospital prenatal, birth, and postpartum care). My prayer in pursuing midwifery early on was to make wise use of my single years while gaining valuable skills that I may someday use on the mission field. Although I don't plan on practicing while I have little ones of my own at home, I know the skills I have already learned have benefitted me immensely and I may be able to use them in other ways, such as teaching, down the road..

Honey, you can't teach if you're not fully trained yourself. Not to mention, there's this thing called continued education. 

• Love 18

I guess it's official: Muffy's hanging up her stethoscope. 

Honey, you can't teach if you're not fully trained yourself. Not to mention, there's this thing called continued education. 

I don't think a thing called credentials or qualifications would stop a Duggar from teaching. They think they're trained carpetlayers and florists after an [unpaid] lesson or two...

• Love 8
So, the baby might be named Wal-mart Dillard?

Or Aldi Dillard. Or Salvation Army Dillard. Or Home Church Dillard

Nepal Chik-Fil-A Dillard, thank you very much. Remember that Jilly-Muffin claimed that there HAD to be Chik-Fil-A in heaven because it was so ding dang good.

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 4

Seems odd that TLC would announce a show featuring Jill and her new baby before he is even born? What if something gos wrong with the birth, and there is no baby? Makes me wonder if he hasn't already arrived.

• Love 2

Remember that Jilly-Muffin claimed that there HAD to be Chik-Fil-A in heaven because it was so ding dang good.

Actually, I can't argue with her on this point. Her logic is airtight. For me, eating Chik-Fil-A is like a religious experience...a really judgy, intolerant religious experience.

Edited by Portia
  • Love 18

What is Derick's degree in?  The only writing course (or language course of any kind) I had to take in college was technical writing. 

It's possible Derick has not seen an English class since high school.

• Love 1

His degree is in accounting, right? I can't imagine he wouldn't have been required to pass English Composition I and II with a C or better, unless he managed to complete those requirements while still in high school. I teach English Comp at the university level, and I would say that Derick's writing is unspectacular but not horrendous. My main complaint is that it's a bit too casual for the context. (Beginning a sentence with "So"? Really?) But I don't see any glaring problems with sentence structure, grammar, or punctuation. Hey, the semicolon is used correctly! His writing strikes me as dull and unremarkable, which may indicate that he's achieved true Duggarhood.

• Love 9

Ugh- a two hour special for the blessed event!? I'm not surprised, but geeze, not til May? TLC acts like nobody has access to social media. Im sure we will see the kid before that. I wont be watching it anyway.

appropriate for Jill if she truly is considered the family snitch.

Snitch is so.......harsh. I prefer to think of her as the Mary Ingalls of the Duggar girls. 

Does this make Jessa and/or Jinger the Laura Ingalls?

Actually, I can't argue with her on this point. Her logic is airtight. For me, eating Chik-Fil-A is like a religious experience . . . a really judgy, intolerant religious experience.

I know, right? They put every other chicken sandwich to SHAME. No glob of mayo or special sauce needed. Just that little pickle.  And now they're advertising frozen lemonade? I'm so there. (Our local franchise owner is a big supporter of the no kill animal shelter that I volunteer at, so that tempers my guilt over their corporate office's stupidity). 

• Love 2