Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

Gotta admit I find it a little refreshing that Jill is rather chill about the due-date thing.

Well, she has looked after many a newborn in her life.  She knows that this is the last time she will have any time to herself for a long time.  I was way more relaxed about the due date with my second and third.  I knew what was coming... :)

• Love 1

My mother always swore my children would be born with the full moon, but they seemed to be contrary about it and always refused to oblige. There's been a lot of studies trying to see a correlation, but thus far science hasn't proven that babies and full moons (or new moons) have anything to do with each other.

• Love 1

Little off topic from THE impending birth, but does anyone remember how many towel sets they received or asked for? I caught Clinton Kelly on the Meredith show recently & they were discussing registering for bridal gifts & towels came up. Guess who came to mind? He said you should have 3 sets of towels-one that's being used, one in laundry & one in linen closet. Meredith said something about adding a 4th but I forgot her reason possibly a guest set. He came across that this should be plenty especially when it's just the 2 of you starting out.

My family (in law) apparently think towels are absolutely critical... and what's funny is 15 years later I'm still thankful for all the towels. Pretty impressive that they all look good and we haven't had to buy any towels.

I think Jill registered for 20-something towels though?

I still think Richard James (Rick James) is the funniest one, & they wouldn't even get it!

*shes a super freak, super freak*

She's super freaky...

(I'm sorry, I had to do it)

I've been married 25 years this year, and I'm still using towels people bought us for our wedding. I only replaced the dishes two years ago. At least those are real things that can be used and aren't exorbitant. And while I do realize the registries are greedy looking, people are going to send them stuff no matter what. And if they don't ask for stuff, they will end up with things they can't use and don't want - and it's from total strangers. So I'm sort of on the fence.

• Love 2

How on earth does constantly being on "Duggar time" work with being a midwife? I guarantee she'll miss half the births she is called to simply because she is chronically late. Can you imagine choosing a midwife who openly brags about her inability to be anywhere on time? Last I checked, babies set the schedules for birth, not the chronically late midwife. That seems like a recipe for catching your own baby.

I'm assuming here but I don't think Jill does the whole "Duggar time" thing unless she's stuck with...well..the Duggars.

• Love 1

Which is a shame because the few times we saw her working, she seemed pretty calm and competent. She didn't blink an eye in that episode a few seasons ago when that woman in labor (Venessa?) screamed and Jessa looked horrified. She seemed perfectly patient during Anna's looooong labor with Michael while Smugs took a nap (hate him).

I think she has a real talent for it. Too bad.

I've never fully understood why people (not you in particular, I promise) were so angry that Josh took a nap while Anna labored. It wasn't as if him being awake would have changed anything (for the better or for the worse) about her labor and he couldn't really do anything, either. I'm not being snarky (lol), I just don't get it. 

• Love 2

I've never fully understood why people (not you in particular, I promise) were so angry that Josh took a nap while Anna labored. It wasn't as if him being awake would have changed anything (for the better or for the worse) about her labor and he couldn't really do anything, either. I'm not being snarky (lol), I just don't get it. 

Oh, I get it. My husband had the tv remote, and went out to buy a sub when I was in labor with our FIRST child. Oh yes I do get it!!

• Love 2

It's beyond rude to many of us.  The least a husband can do is be a support in labor.  If I have to stay awake and deal with the contractions the least he can do is be present.  

• Love 8

I predict baby Dilly is coming tonight. There is thunder, hail & tornado warnings in the area. God is proclaiming the arrival of the Blessed One!

I'm expecting them to have one of those spotlights playing over the sky. Be on the lookout for it Mrsjumbo.

• Love 2

My mother always swore my children would be born with the full moon, but they seemed to be contrary about it and always refused to oblige. There's been a lot of studies trying to see a correlation, but thus far science hasn't proven that babies and full moons (or new moons) have anything to do with each other.

I know a lot of experienced nurses who would disagree - strongly. According to them, maternity wards and emergency rooms are busier during the Full Moon. So I stay open-minded and agree that we don't see any evidence YET. And I remind myself that until a few 100 years ago, we didn't believe blood circulated throughout the body either. Now we can't believe that human beings ever questioned this.

• Love 2

I know a lot of experienced nurses who would disagree - strongly. According to them, maternity wards and emergency rooms are busier during the Full Moon. So I stay open-minded and agree that we don't see any evidence YET. And I remind myself that until a few 100 years ago, we didn't believe blood circulated throughout the body either. Now we can't believe that human beings ever questioned this.

I'll admit, I WANT the birth records to prove it's true!

I'd love to see the birth records too but from my experience of spending wayyyy too many months in the hospital as a kid, they always mentioned the Full Moon coming. (doesn't mean it's true... antecdata.. but I can remember them always mentioning it)

Edited by NikSac

Thus far, crunching the data hasn't resulted in an uptick in births - even in past years when births couldn't have influenced by modern technology. But I keep hoping we simply haven't crunched enough! :)

• Love 1

This doesn't have anything to do with childbirth but when my brother-in-law worked as a directory assistance operator(back in the day when you spoke with a person) there was definitely an increase in crazy calls when there was a full moon.

• Love 2

LOL - yep that sounds like my midwives. They would say  there is no scientific evidence that the full moon affects labor in any way. Then they would smile and say 'but we always have an extra midwife on call'. 

• Love 3

Both my daughter and her future husband are residents and they tell me that the hospital gets crazy when there is a full moon.  Neither of them is an OB/GYN, so they can't comment on the maternity ward, but in general it's super busy.

• Love 2

They are really making sure people keep wondering about Jill having the baby, aren't they? A few weeks ago she IGed herself with a new baby. Then she captioned it that she had helped deliver him.  Of course, a lot of people at first glance thought it was her baby.  Then this week Jessa posted a picture of her with a baby captioned something about so excited about her new niece.  Oh, that was Ben's side of the family.  

I think they're dropping all these misleading hints to keep it in people's minds.  You can't convince me this isn't a coordinated thing.

I'm sure it's somewhat coordinated. I also notice that they seem to post more while the show is airing. That might be in their contract - a certain amount of involvement with social media.

what's an errand runner? That sounds like you're gonna pick up some Chinese food after you do food shopping.

I would think you would call Michelle and Cathy "loving support" or "birthing coaches" or something warm and fuzzy. Not errand runners. These people use the strangest words.

• Love 7

Josh and Anna used to function on Duggar Time, has that changed?  I recall specifically Josh saying they were always late getting out of the house because their kids weren't "morning people" and I yelled at the tv "Then be a parent, and put them to bed at a reasonable hour, you moron."

Exactly!  Because if you put them to bed at normal hours, they will be awake- running around the house before you are ready to get out of bed.  

Exactly!  Because if you put them to bed at normal hours, they will be awake- running around the house before you are ready to get out of bed.  

OMG, my parents couldn't wait to pack the six of us off to bed at night. When I was 10, I still had a 7:30 bedtime, mostly because my youngest sister was only four. And in the Summer, at 7:30 it's still light for 2 hours! Hard for us to settle down and go to sleep. But now I understand - it was the only chance my parents possibly had for a little peace and quiet in their lives at that time.

• Love 1

My children were naturally night owls - came by it honestly - I still don't sleep more than a few hours a night and never, even as a child went to sleep before 10. It nearly killed my mother. I still had a normal bedtime, though, and had to stay quietly in my room. So I'm not unsympathetic to night owl children. My daughter is the same way. And she's still up at 7:30, though! My mother calls it payback.

But the chances of all of the Duggar children (from either family) being that way are unlikely. Although if your whole family are night owls, I don't see the issue with keeping kids up if you run a schedule that permits it. It's not being night owls that keeps them from meeting their schedule. It's that they are rude. If you can't be there in the morning, don't schedule for the morning. Isn't scheduling Michelle's only real job? Well, do it then!

Edited by GEML
  • Love 5

They go to bed well after midnight, but claim to be up and read for school at 8am. I don't buy that. Unless they're controlling the kids though sleep deprivation, which the may well be.

• Love 5

i can see cathy being comforting to jill while mechelle is throwing daggers with her eyes.  i hope cathy doesn't have to be 'running errands", if anything maybe the older girls will be doing them.  at least i hope so.

See, I don't see Cathy being personally comforting to Jill during labor. This isn't a slam on Cathy, but I honestly think the woman will think this should be in a hospital and we could avoid a lot of this mess. I think she's a no nonsense sort of person and birthing mothers can be kind of well, nonsensical at times!

Whereas I think Michelle may actually shine here. This is the one area she knows more about than anyone. She was calm and kind to Anna in the first two births, where she was more of an active participant and not just someone to be on camera. Jill will ADORE having her mother there and all of her attention, so she too, will be calmer, this making Michelle more effective, but Cathy might make Jill more nervous.

So I don't know.

• Love 3

7:30????? how on earth do you guys put kids to bed at 7:30 unless you are talking about infants??? We are lucky to have dinner by 7. Kids activities usually last until 9. School work can go later. 7:30 is still the middle of the day :-)

• Love 3
Jill will ADORE having her mother there and all of her attention

I see Jill as being a daddy's girl and not being terribly close to MEchelle, and I also see her being so into Derick -- whom MEchelle clearly is not too jazzed about -- that she's probably over her mother. But you could be right; she could be happy to have MEchelle's undivided attention.

38 minutes ago

7:30????? how on earth do you guys put kids to bed at 7:30 unless you are talking about infants???

A blogger I follow periodically declares a No Electronics night, and then sets the clocks ahead an hour. She tells the kids it's bedtime and off they go.   She says they benefit from catching up on their sleep.  They're in junior high.

Edited by Quof
  • Love 1

I used to tell my kids it is bedtime at 7:30 and they did not have to fall asleep as long as they were reading. Or, get in bed at 8:00 but lights out. They always choose the book route and were almost always asleep by 8:15 or so.

• Love 3

7:30????? how on earth do you guys put kids to bed at 7:30 unless you are talking about infants??? We are lucky to have dinner by 7. Kids activities usually last until 9. School work can go later. 7:30 is still the middle of the day :-)

Ah, the DC schedule. If you put the kids to bed at 7:30, they'd never see their parent(s) if one works in the city. Josh probably doesn't get home until then most nights. It's a big change from the car lot.

And while Jill was close to Jim Bob, she longs for her mother's approval. Watch the Mother's Day episode where every other child is pretty ambivalent towards Michelle but Jill sings out how much she loves Michelle and wants to be just like her. All that tattling - all that "please notice me." And Michelle never really did.

• Love 4

I'm not sure I understand having so many "errand runners" while giving birth. Granted, my hospital birth experience was probably quite different than Jill's home birth experience, but even so this seems odd. I assume Derrick could get Jill a drink or make her a sandwich or something while she's in labor and to his credit he seems like a husband who would be more than happy to do whatever he can to help her out and make her comfortable. While I was having my daughter, my husband brought me water and the occasional popsicle (I was not allowed to eat during labor) and did what he could to support me. I certainly didn't need 5 or so people all there to run "errands".

• Love 4

In my case, it was the 50s and 60s - a different age entirely. Almost no mother worked outside the home. In my family supper was promptly at 5 each night, as soon as my Dad got home, could wash up and change his clothes. Six kids from the age of eight down to 11 months helps too - LOL! 

PS - I have a friend who says "Sometimes I think half the world's troubles come about because people won't go to bed when they should..." We laugh about it but I often wonder how true this might really be. Of course not everyone needs 11 hours a night, but most need a minimum of 6, and the younger you are, the more you need - in general. Our family MD when I was little told my mother "No less than seven, no more than eight..." for adults. And I do think many of today's busy overscheduled families forget how much sleep most kids really need. In most families, both parents work. When they get home, they have to cook/cleanup dinner, do other chores and of course want to spend at least a little time with the kids. It's easily understandable as to why most of us are probably sleep-deprived to some extent. All I can say in my own case is that between all the nutritious food, and all the sleep I was forced to get, I truly - hand to God - can never remember feeling tired as a child or teen. It wasn't until college, when I was in full control of my diet and sleep for the first time, that things changed. Bottom line - IMO - some old-fashioned ways really are better in the long run.

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 6

Do ends on the day. My youngest can go to bed that early. My older ones(teens)usually go to bed at 3am. Knowing that they have school the next day.

• Love 1

Well, my mother stayed home with us, cooked three meals a day from scratch, had a whole bedtime routine and I still never slept. Sometimes it's just like that! And I'm home with my daughter, and we eat together as a family, have a bedtime routine, and she doesn't sleep.

Josh probably doesn't have to be at work until 10 most mornings. If they put the kids to bed at 10, that could still be a full 8-10 hours. This is what I was trying to point out - I don't necessarily think there is a virtue to an early bedtime, just a regular one at the family's convenience that allows for the family to meet it's overall obligations. The Duggars don't do that. But that has more to do with being rude and depending on children and young adults to keep things organized than it does a bedtime hour.

• Love 3

I sometimes wonder if Michelle felt like Jill would tattle on her too, if it came down to it.  Lord knows Michelle thinks she's guilty of something for some reason.  The whole dynamic with her and her kids is just sad.

• Love 1

Given how close Jill was with Jim Bob, that's not a bad guess. Michelle might have sung a popular song into a hairbrush one day to entertain the kids when they were young and imagine the catastrophe!

• Love 1

The tattling really backfired for Jill. She didn't get her mother's love, and she lost her siblings trust.

I came late to the Duggar party, I would love to know what she could possibly have tattled about. 

Edited by SoSueMe

I came late to the Duggar party, I would love to know what she could possibly have tattled about. 

Virtually everything. And these are kids that are conditioned from birth to tell their parents literally every thought in their head. Up to and including detailed sexual thoughts. If life was a high school movie, Jill was the mousey sophmore who went out of her way to suck up to the varsity cheerleader (Miechelle), but never got asked to sit at the cool kids table.

• Love 4

"Mom, Jessa mas humming and moving her hips while she brushed her hair!" "Mom, I walked in on Jana in the shower and she was washing her breasts with her bare hands like, over and over..." " Mom, Jinger and J'one-of-the-boys were wrestling and, like, they were touching front to front!" "Mom, Hannie was flipping her skirt up over her knees in church..."

I mean, I made all the specifics up, but this kind of thing. Plus, probably more normal "J'somebody didn't spend the full time on his schoolwork..."

• Love 3