Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

i think they have a white suv but in the pic there's a black one parked in the driveway. 

I remember seeing Jana driving a black SUV in an episode or two. Possibly even Jinger as well.

There was an article posted 2-3 hours or so ago and it says that Jill thinks she has 2 due dates, March 24th and April 5th. She says this because she believes most first time mothers deliver 7-10 days late. This is nonsense. I was under the impression that many first time mothers, or 2nd or 3rd time mothers, deliver 1-3 weeks early.

In my opinion she may have had the baby already and is looking for a week and a half of quiet time. Whatever the situation, I hope all turns out well.

It is not nonsense that first time moms often go past their due dates. A "normal" pregnancy is between 37 and 42 weeks with the due date at 40 weeks. First time moms tend to go longer and for whatever reason (possibly muscle memory) subsequent pregnancies tend to be more in the 40 week range. Of course, it's a crapshoot and anything could happen but anecdotally speaking, I and women in my circle went past our due dates with our first.

I'm curious as to why everything she says is refuted? I mean, why is it so outrageous that she (as someone who has spent a lot of time around pregnancy and childbirth) thinks she might go longer?

• Love 10

It is not nonsense that first time moms often go past their due dates. A "normal" pregnancy is between 37 and 42 weeks with the due date at 40 weeks. First time moms tend to go longer and for whatever reason (possibly muscle memory) subsequent pregnancies tend to be more in the 40 week range. Of course, it's a crapshoot and anything could happen but anecdotally speaking, I and women in my circle went past our due dates with our first.

I'm curious as to why everything she says is refuted? I mean, why is it so outrageous that she (as someone who has spent a lot of time around pregnancy and childbirth) thinks she might go longer?

She's right that most first time mothers go past their due dates. She's not completely stupid! And she DOES know something about childbirth.

It's also why I picked April 1st in the pool. I also knew most first babies come late! :)

Edited by GEML
  • Love 1

There was an article posted 2-3 hours or so ago and it says that Jill thinks she has 2 due dates, March 24th and April 5th. She says this because she believes most first time mothers deliver 7-10 days late. This is nonsense. I was under the impression that many first time mothers, or 2nd or 3rd time mothers, deliver 1-3 weeks early.

In my opinion she may have had the baby already and is looking for a week and a half of quiet time. Whatever the situation, I hope all turns out well.

I think it's very possible that Jill had the baby and is trying to buy some time without People and other magazines breathing down her neck. I said before, I would hate to have J'chelle and Boob and the howlers and lost girls pawing all over my new baby, but to have strangers trying to ask me a bunch of questions and take pictures would drive me over the edge.

I feel like Jilly Muffin might have under estimated how hard pregnancy and delivery would be. Between working with many women as they go through it and her own mother being a professional brood mare, I think Jill thought that she would be a natural at the whole thing, just because of all her experience and knowledge. Without having ever had a baby myself, I think most women aren't prepared for how hard it is.

• Love 3

You can go late with your first and you can also go early.  I know from personal experience and the people around me, the mother's size (5' tall vs. 5'9") seems to have some impact on when their babies have been born.  I am tall and went over 41 weeks with both.  Two friends who are closer to 5' went at around 35-37 weeks with their first.  I think Jill is simplifying the facts way too much by stating most first time mothers go late.

Edited by RainbowBrite

I went a week late with my first, a day early with my second and a week early with my third.

I didn't enter the baby pool, but my guess for a due date would have been the 27th if I'd gotten around to it. Guess we have to wait and see, but I'm kind of suspecting she won't go QUITE that long.

If Jill has in fact already had the wonder child I don't in a million years believe she's keeping quiet in order to have private time with the baby and Derrick. Nothing Jill does is private.

I don't think he's been born yet and if he has and they are keeping quiet it's so they can steal Jessa's Thunder yet again with a Very Special Announcement during tonight's episode. Everything they do is calculated and timed out for one reason or another.

Privacy my ass!

• Love 4

Scientifically it's all on a Bell curve.  Most babies are delivered within plus or minus 7 days of the due date.  However, that still leaves many outside that and it used to be plus or minus 3 weeks was acceptable and normal and now it's plus or minus 2 weeks in most cases.  If we want anecdata, all of mine were born 2 weeks or more before their due dates first one included. 

Babies in the US have been coming "early" because we tend to induce near or on the due dates as a more common practice. But babies in other Western countries where it is standard practice to do no intervention, most first babies of Caucasian women come in the 40th week thus right "on time" or a few days late, and for women of African, Asian or Hispanic descent (living in Western countries) in the 39th week, meaning a few days early, or right "on time."

• Love 5

One problem with birth statistics is so many women have intervention when they get close to their due date, or God forbid one or two days after, we no longer have an accurate picture of what happens when a woman waits to naturally go into labor beyond their due date.

GEML beat me to it :-)

• Love 3

My son was born a week late, and he was a scheduled c-section because he measured surprisingly big at an ultrasound the day before they planned to induce. 

My wife also walked around telling everyone he was going to be a week late, and her logic was that it was easier psychologically to expect a late baby than to hope for an early one and be disappointed when she was still super pregnant past her due date. 

• Love 1

Ok so PEOPLE magazine has new article up where they spoke with Jill. Everybody read it!

Seriously I thought it was very well-done. It calls her a "student-midwife".  Jill is planning to go over close to two weeks over her due date if necessary. She had Braxton Hicks contractions, which could mean something or not. My fundie-lite friend had 'em almost a month before her third child was born. She seems ok. That was probably the ambulance last night.

Good Luck Jill! I have tomorrow in the pool.

Anybody think that maybe she and Derrick would want to be totally alone for the birth, no family or cameras? Maybe Derrick will 'forget' to call when it's time? Or Jill will have a 'really fast' delivery, to sidestep the circus. I'd like that for them. They'd have the midwife there, of course.

• Love 1

Anybody think that maybe she and Derrick would want to be totally alone for the birth, no family or cameras? Maybe Derrick will 'forget' to call when it's time? Or Jill will have a 'really fast' delivery, to sidestep the circus. I'd like that for them. They'd have the midwife there, of course.

Would be nice, but no. Having her whole family there plus cameras is pretty much all she's ever known. So in that regard I guess I can't blame her. I do hope it's her choice to have the cameras there, but in many ways she's never really had a choice about that.

Derick is another kettle of fish. But plenty of secular families film births too, so it's not TOO outside of the norm, I guess.

• Love 3

probably my favorite scene ever is the look on MEchelle and Jim Boobs face when Smugger and Anna announce they are moving to DC. Hopefully we will see many more of those looks in the future!

That truly WAS great, wasn't it? I'll never forget the look on Boob's face. For sure, he'll never get himself a SAG card... LOL.

But plenty of secular families film births too, so it's not TOO outside of the norm, I guess.

And TLC used to have a show dedicated to that...

But I guess now they'll have enough Duggar births to tide everyone over.

• Love 3

Close to two weeks over is text book perfect, as I'm sure she and the baby's heartbeat are being closely monitored, and I know she would be doing kick counts every two hours, which are extremely reliable as indication to health of the baby.

I'd like to think they'd keep it private, but, well, Jill has no boundaries. They'll tell.

• Love 1

I knew the literal hour & minute that my kids were convinced due to infertility treatment so my due dates were considered iron clad correct. My first was 12 days late & my second was 7 days late. Other than being big & slightly miserable & the annoying expressions of "oh my you're still pregnant" it wasn't a big deal. One of the reasons I went the midwife route was to avoid the rush to induce.

I hope that Jill's delivery goes well for her. Regardless of if she has 20 or 1 this is a magical time and, for Derick at least, a new experience seeing a new person enter the world. I wish they'd keep the moment private, but I agree with y'all that ship has sailed & the selfie of it departing was taken & posted on every social media platform known to man.

• Love 5

Close to two weeks over is text book perfect, as I'm sure she and the baby's heartbeat are being closely monitored, and I know she would be doing kick counts every two hours, which are extremely reliable as indication to health of the baby.

I'd like to think they'd keep it private, but, well, Jill has no boundaries. They'll tell.

Midwives also have the capability to do non-stress tests as well which can also give a good look into the health of the baby. She's got plenty of time before there is a concern. 

• Love 1

I sure hope Cathy has been given a ticket to the birth. Not necessarily front row center in watching the birth (since we don't know if she wants to be that involved or not) but at least be around in the house to help as needed, possibly prepare a meal with Jana? Who knows, maybe she can give Jana some much needed motherly advice. All I can think of is Anna's mother who wasn't at any of the three kiddos births or even mentioned in the birth episodes. They could have at least shown the Smuggars calling them in Florida with the birth news.

• Love 4

From the PEOPLE article - 

While she has helped to deliver around 30 babies already, the 19 Kids and Counting star has been studying to become a full-fledged midwife in her own right; her exam is later this year. "It is really exciting to be studying this when pregnant," she tells PEOPLE. "It takes on a whole different light when you are studying about what you are going through."

No one else thought this was interesting? I think this is the first time I've heard Jill talk about taking her midwife exam. Previously I've only heard her hint at wanting to finish her studies and now, it SOUNDS like she has set an actual timetable for when that will happen. I sincerely hope she makes it. 

• Love 9

No one else thought this was interesting? I think this is the first time I've heard Jill talk about taking her midwife exam. Previously I've only heard her hint at wanting to finish her studies and now, it SOUNDS like she has set an actual timetable for when that will happen. I sincerely hope she makes it.

I do too. For one thing, given Derick's father's health history, Jill may need a career in her life at some point.

• Love 2

Her lay midwife apprentice permit expires the end of August so I'm assuming she will be taking the exam before then.  If she goes through with it then I hope she makes it too.

Jill can say whatever she wants at this point. Lying is so natural. When she has one baby and pregnant with another, lets see her studying for that exam. Or even if she passes, she might not work as a midwife.

• Love 4

I take the midwife exam claims with a grain of salt. People also claims Bin has his Associates's Degree which I find dubious as well. The Duggars are big on talking and slow to provide documentation to back up their claims.

• Love 5

Her lay midwife apprentice permit expires the end of August so I'm assuming she will be taking the exam before then.  If she goes through with it then I hope she makes it too.

So she's studying to be a lay midwife rather than a certified professional midwife? I knew she wasn't going to be an CNM obviously but I was thinking maybe a CPM.

Glad Jill seems to be okay.

People gets their "facts" wrong a LOT, so I'd take that story with a grain of salt.  Some portion of it might be true, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if they embellished it. Even more likely if they got their original "facts" from the Duggars.

I do too. For one thing, given Derick's father's health history, Jill may need a career in her life at some point.

Yeah, no one ever thinks that far in advance in Duggarland. What would Boob and J'chelle expect one of their daughters to do if she was widowed with ten minor children? The love offerings are going to run dry eventually.

• Love 2

I take the midwife exam claims with a grain of salt. People also claims Bin has his Associates's Degree which I find dubious as well. The Duggars are big on talking and slow to provide documentation to back up their claims.

Yes, and Jana is a concert pianist.

• Love 8

Yeah, no one ever thinks that far in advance in Duggarland. What would Boob and J'chelle expect one of their daughters to do if she was widowed with ten minor children? The love offerings are going to run dry eventually.

You need to work 10 years to get Social security.

• Love 1

OK running joke amongst snarky Christians (as many of us on this board are), is that the more Drunk on Koolaid and/or Sinful in a Previous Season of Life and Overcompensating, the more likely Evangelical babies names are Israel, Judah, Haddassah, Bethany, Priscilla, something multiple syllable that ends in -iah AKA the most Old Skool Old Testament names possible, and Catholic babies are Mary Whatever for girls and some combo with Peter, Paul, Joseph or John for boys, with the ultimate combos of John Paul and Peter Joseph.

Israel would be the perfect name for Jill to scream LOOK AT OUR HOLY COVENANT BLESSING, and notice that Michelle's kids didn't get all hyper biblical until what, after Joseph? (Josh, John David, Joseph and Jason, James are biblical, but not cuckoo). When they started getting attention is when the Josiah, Jeddadiah, Jeremiah, JoyHanna, JoAnna, Josie, Jubilee - with a Jennifer stuck in there. I think I left somebody out, and I really wish there had been a Jethro and Jezebel.

• Love 3

Yes, the non-stress test is what I was referring to. Although I used to tease my OB that I found two-three time a week testing VERY stressful! ;)

OMG - you had to have non-stress tests 2 or 3 times a week??? I had to have 3 with my middle daughter and thought 'stress' would have been a better name :-)

Jill can say whatever she wants at this point. Lying is so natural. When she has one baby and pregnant with another, lets see her studying for that exam. Or even if she passes, she might not work as a midwife.

I will believe it when I see it. Even if she passes her exam, I don't see her working outside the home.

If she had a client go into labor while derick was at work, would Jill have to call one of her sisters to come babysit, while the mom in labor waited 30 min for the sister to arrive? Or would the client have to wait while Jill drove to pick up Derick from work early to watch their baby while she delivered the baby? I just don't see it happening unless one of the Duggar sisters came to live with them as a babysitter. I don't think midwives work on a 9-5 schedule.

• Love 3