Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

That color is awful on her, but what really stands out to me is how unpolished her hair looks. I'd be pissed if I get out of the salon chair and my blowout looked that frizzy.

I'm guessing she didn't like her hair when she got that big cut...I can't think of any other reason she wouldn't get those dead ends cut when she was already there for a (bad) color and (worse) blowout.

• Love 14

I agree that color is wrong for Jill.  The problem is that kind of color requires makeup and Jill is not a makeup person.  Sure she lines her eyes, applies a coat or two of mascara, and uses some kind of foundation, but those are not enough.  She needs to wear a full face of makeup to make it work.  She needs blush and lipstick.  

• Love 8

I will reserve judgment on the new color until I see pictures of Jill in natural light. I remember thinking the color she picked was not good when she posted pictures from the salon the first time around. I think the salon just has bad lighting. But yes, at least trim the split ends, even if you don't want a big change in length.

• Love 3

Her hair looks like hammered crap.  Supercuts would have done a better job.  That "salon" she keeps going to is taking her money and probably laughing behind her back.  

She goes quite a bit, so to say she's "treating herself" is a joke.  She has as many pics of her salon visits as she does her family.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
9 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I agree that color is wrong for Jill.  The problem is that kind of color requires makeup and Jill is not a makeup person.  Sure she lines her eyes, applies a coat or two of mascara, and uses some kind of foundation, but those are not enough.  She needs to wear a full face of makeup to make it work.  She needs blush and lipstick.  

I agree. I think if Jill kept her sandy base color and did a honey blonde balayage, she would look gorgeous. The all-over blonde makes her features disappear. I think Jill would look great as a redhead as well, but I know reds are an absolute bitch to maintain. 

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 13
(edited)
10 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Any advice for me? I was a brunette but my hair started turning grey by my early 20s. I’ve always dyed it but stopped during the pandemic. So now I’ve got a full head of white hair. I’m very fair but have mild rosacea so my face gets red easily. So white hair and fair/pink skin!  So I’m much like Jill. I haven’t been wearing makeup for the last 2 years either. I’m not sure I want to go back to getting it dyed every 4 weeks, it’s a lot of work and expensive. But how can I make it work? I’m also considering buying some wigs, lol.

sorry, this is all about me, not Jill. Can you respond in Small Talk?

Edited by Cinnabon
  • Love 6
On 4/5/2022 at 6:18 PM, BigBingerBro said:

Good for her for making a change but I think it washes her out

She looks better with a darker color with some red. As long as she is happy that is what counts. 

When I was pregnant, I did not color my hair because they said it was dangerous. But they do say now it is safe. 

• Love 2

It's sweet that James came over to celebrate Israel's birthday, but what about Jenni? Does Boob forbid her from going over there? It's also nice Izzy had a special lunch at school. 

My birthday was in July so I never got to have my mom come to class with cupcakes and punch. I'm 43 and still bitter. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 19
31 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Jill does know they posted pictures of Izzy twice within the last month, right?!? Are black bar over his face, really.

image.png.846dbc3a37fa871fe7224f1fec9a34a4.pngimage.png.f04e5f11602534b80f70babeb6323763.png   

While I do think she is posting fewer pictures of their faces, I think that “black bar” is actually the color of the box lid/side. She might have had him obscure his face for the photo but I don’t think she edited a black bar over him.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, BitterApple said:

My birthday was in July so I never got to have my mom come to class with cupcakes and punch. I'm 43 and still bitter. 

Come sit with me and my brother. Between my early August birthday and his early January birthday, neither of us ever got to do those elementary school birthdays and we are still salty about it in our thirties. LOL 

• LOL 12
  • Love 3
36 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

I am torn on this whole face-obscuring thing that Jeremy is so gosh-darn creative with, and that Jill has now started doing with her kids.  On one hand, I suppose these people think they need to post on social media to stay relevant or become low-level influencers for cash, or whatever reasons they have, so they feel like they have to put their kids on SM too.  But given the fact that the kids have no say in how they are posted or portrayed, and also the fact that they all now have a scummy POS family member in jail for crimes against children, wouldn't it help them all sleep at night to just keep their kids off SM altogether?  If it comes down to doing everything in my power to keep my kids safe as opposed to the sum of money I may or may not make by putting them on SM, I would choose my kids every single time and get a job flipping burgers if I needed cash.  What potential influencer gig is worth risking the safety of your kids?

And the fact that the grown Duggar kids have been raised to be in the public eye seems like it would make them double down on NOT putting their own kids through the same thing.  I never liked the whole back of the head photos, etc., because they aren't doing their children any favors, even if they think they are...they're just making their more rabid "fans" want to see those faces even more.  Leave them off altogether, IMO.

/soapbox

Agree 100%. To me, it's just a really performative way to "address" the issue while still violating the child's privacy. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 18
31 minutes ago, Zella said:

Agree 100%. To me, it's just a really performative way to "address" the issue while still violating the child's privacy. 

Exactly. The whole thing feels like a stylistic choice rather than a thoughtful concern for privacy and safety. All it would take is one really popular influencer to write a thinkpiece of a caption about the " benefits" of showing children's faces on social media for the tide to turn and then the black bars and back of the head pics are history.

• Love 11

This is crazy we're talking about privacy because a video was in my YouTube feed this morning called "The Dangers Of Family Vlogging." One YouTuber actually had a fan show up at her kids' school, claiming she was a friend of the family and demanding to pick them up. It just made me think of the Duggars and Bateses and how lax they are on security. Their addresses, routines and travel plans are put out there for millions of strangers to see. It's nuts. 

Oh, and another interesting tidbit. The videos that generate the most views aside from births are ones where the thumbnail and title show a child sick, injured or in pain. Nice. 😳

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
Just now, BitterApple said:

This is crazy we're talking about privacy because a video was in my YouTube feed this morning called "The Dangers Of Family Vlogging." One YouTuber actually had a fan show up at her kids' school, claiming she was a friend of the family and demanding to pick them up. It just made me think of the Duggars and Bateses and how lax they are on security. Their addresses, routines and travel plans are put out there for millions of strangers to see. It's nuts. 

Oh, and another interesting tidbit. The videos that generate the most views aside from births are ones where the thumbnail and title show a child sick, injured or in pain. Nice. 😳

At least once, a fan showed up at TTH when Michelle and JB were out, and the kids were all too "polite" to do anything but let her in and let her hang out until their parents showed up and had her leave.

And a teen fan showed up at Jill and Derick's house hoping to find out if Israel had been born yet.

And yet, it wasn't until the show was canceled and several influencers starting hiding their kids' faces that they started doing it, too.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, laurakaye said:

...they're just making their more rabid "fans" want to see those faces even more.  Leave them off altogether, IMO.

This is so true. Not that the Dillards and Vuolos are well known but these kinds of photos encourage the crazies to try and grab face shots to try to sell to the tabloids.

But I'm not sure Jill gets the privacy thing though - she literally posted pictures of her kids on a blog and on IG within the last month.

• Love 11
5 hours ago, laurakaye said:

I am torn on this whole face-obscuring thing that Jeremy is so gosh-darn creative with, and that Jill has now started doing with her kids.  On one hand, I suppose these people think they need to post on social media to stay relevant or become low-level influencers for cash, or whatever reasons they have, so they feel like they have to put their kids on SM too.  But given the fact that the kids have no say in how they are posted or portrayed, and also the fact that they all now have a scummy POS family member in jail for crimes against children, wouldn't it help them all sleep at night to just keep their kids off SM altogether?  If it comes down to doing everything in my power to keep my kids safe as opposed to the sum of money I may or may not make by putting them on SM, I would choose my kids every single time and get a job flipping burgers if I needed cash.  What potential influencer gig is worth risking the safety of your kids?

And the fact that the grown Duggar kids have been raised to be in the public eye seems like it would make them double down on NOT putting their own kids through the same thing.  I never liked the whole back of the head photos, etc., because they aren't doing their children any favors, even if they think they are...they're just making their more rabid "fans" want to see those faces even more.  Leave them off altogether, IMO.

/soapbox

Exactly.

4 hours ago, Zella said:

Yep. Anyone following them on SM (since they insist on having accounts open to any and every stranger out there) could hone in on them and their small kids, whether their faces are shown or not. They also make it easy for any rando to figure out where they live, shop, and hang out. 

• Love 5
4 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Cue the Bates with plenty of performative, public videos of themselves and their kids in the hospital. In which the women always have full faces of makeup, etc 

• Love 13
4 hours ago, BitterApple said:

The Duggars and Bateses aren't the only ones putting personal information on social media.  The wife of a very well-known television actor regularly posts the name of the salons where she has her hair and nails done.  The restaurants she takes her daughter to, pictures of shopping with her four-year-old and all kinds of personal things.  It would be easy for a stalker to hang around those locations waiting for her and her child.  I will never understand putting so much personal information on social media.  It seems the trend for all type of public figures.

• Love 10
25 minutes ago, beagletime said:

The Duggars and Bateses aren't the only ones putting personal information on social media.  The wife of a very well-known television actor regularly posts the name of the salons where she has her hair and nails done.  The restaurants she takes her daughter to, pictures of shopping with her four-year-old and all kinds of personal things.  It would be easy for a stalker to hang around those locations waiting for her and her child.  I will never understand putting so much personal information on social media.  It seems the trend for all type of public figures.

Now you have me wondering who is the actor. 😂

• LOL 8
  • Love 7

By that comment it looks like Derick was teaching the boys. Amy’s son is also taking swim lessons there. The Dillards should get an above ground pool for their back yard. It’s good to see the kids doing normal things, interacting with the world around them. Jill is no longer stuck in the Duggar bubble.

Edited by SMama
  • Love 13
Just now, iwantcookies said:

Is it normal to learn to swim wearing shirts?

NO. 😆😆😆
Well, maybe for sun protection. Everyone wears shirts when they learn to surf because of the intense sun exposure. So maybe they’re just being vigilant.

Edited by Cinnabon
  • Useful 1
3 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

Those are rash guards, some kids wear them when swimming outdoors to keep warm. Maybe the boys are just used to wearing them. Or maybe there’s some residual modesty hang ups by Jill. 

• Love 9
3 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

I asked because the lessons are indoors so why are they wearing shirts? Guess you are right for modesty/Instagram.

I don’t know how to swim that’s why I asked.

Oh, I didn’t realize they were at an indoor pool. But of course they are, it’s only April.           

I took swim lessons when I was about 7, and I absolutely loved the water. I was never a great swimmer, but I probably won’t drown, lol.

Edited by Cinnabon
2 hours ago, iwantcookies said:

The grandkids wear rash guards as do at least 75% of the other kids. 

It's absolutely normal and what kids these days do.

Edited by Absolom
  • Useful 3
  • Love 17

I've also heard of some people who wear them to stay warm--they aren't exactly wet suits, but they might help keep heat in a bit.  Those kids are skinny enough that they might get cold quickly in the water.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, lookeyloo said:

They also make them for adults. I have some. They have sunscreen protection built in

I’m a fan of anything that provides sun protection. I was burnt badly many times as a child and I’ve heard that greatly increases one’s chance of getting skin cancer.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, Cinnabon said:

I’m a fan of anything that provides sun protection. I was burnt badly many times as a child and I’ve heard that greatly increases one’s chance of getting skin cancer.

I have Great Britian ancestors so I burn rather than tan.  I have also had the horrible burns as a kid as well as skin cancer (not melamona) on both sides of the family.  A few years ago I was in Costa Rica and I admit I wore a t-shirt in the pool.  But I came home without a burn so it was worth it to me.  

Getting back on topic, I'm glad to see that Izzy and Sam are having real swimming lessons.  

• Love 12
4 hours ago, MsJamieDornan said:

All the swim instructors at our local YMCA are required to wear swim shirts.

So very glad Izzy is learning to swim.

Do you know why shirts are required for the instructors?

9 hours ago, MsJamieDornan said:

All the swim instructors at our local YMCA are required to wear swim shirts.

So very glad Izzy is learning to swim.

The ones at my kid's swim place(diventures) do too, they have the logo of the company on it.

It's great they are learning how to swim, that's so important to know. 

• Love 6