Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

57 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Thanks for the explanation.  That makes more sense than what Jill wrote.  Jill has such a bad grasp on child development that I had no idea if this is actually age-appropriate for Izzy.  I would not put it past her to have Izzy watching a video meant for a second-grader.  

This is what I immediately thought, too. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Absolom said:

He may be working on the initial step that we exchange money for goods.  That's appropriate for a four year old.  

This is a four year old who, as stated by Derick, graduated kindergarten, which makes him a first grader. 🤷🏼‍♀️

• LOL 14
2 hours ago, farmgal4 said:

When he looked up at the end of the video, he looked so much like #bestpapaever, as if the kid didn’t have enough problems already. 😢

Yes, thank you. I feel bad saying this about an innocent child who can't help the crapfest he was born into, but I can't bring myself to look at pics of Iz. He looks exactly like his asshole father. Poor kid.

1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

I totally think Jill would mis-use the system and expect Izzy to understand immediately, but it is designed to teach things like math, money skills etc on an age appropriate level.

I think maybe Jill should be using the jr version of ramsey and maybe izzy could teach her as they go along.....

Edited by crazy8s
needed a y
  • Love 15
1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

This is a four year old who, as stated by Derick, graduated kindergarten, which makes him a first grader. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Well, he does seem a bright boy and thus I wouldn't be surprised he could graduate kindergarten lickety-split, considering what kids have to learn there.  I myself was sent out to read with the third graders in kindergarten, because I came into that grade already reading the newspaper.  Eventually this skill lost a bit of its luster as everyone else caught up with me; but it strikes me as easier to skip/expedite grades for younger students, and is in fact the way they seem to do things in public school.  This isn't the same as saying that Izzy won't eventually require help; but I can easily see him not needing 9 months to learn the curriculum of kindergarten.

• Love 8

The actual Ramsey kit is about $25.

Does Jilly-muffin explain to Izzy that for that amount of money, he could have an actual new toy, new shoes other kids haven't already sweated in or something better than cheap beige glop food?  Idiot.

Though I imagine they didn't actually pay for the program at all.  Dave would be SO proud at them "saving" the money! 

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, queenanne said:

Well, he does seem a bright boy and thus I wouldn't be surprised he could graduate kindergarten lickety-split, considering what kids have to learn there.  I myself was sent out to read with the third graders in kindergarten, because I came into that grade already reading the newspaper.  Eventually this skill lost a bit of its luster as everyone else caught up with me; but it strikes me as easier to skip/expedite grades for younger students, and is in fact the way they seem to do things in public school.  This isn't the same as saying that Izzy won't eventually require help; but I can easily see him not needing 9 months to learn the curriculum of kindergarten.

I think the Duggars are idiots, but, more recent research is not starting especially boys til they are six because while they might do fine in earlier grades, they are slow to mature and it hinders them later on.  When my daughter in law who has a  masters in special ed did that with the grands we thought she was nuts because they are very bright, but, turns out, it has been the best for them.  Mr. lookeyloo is very smart, has a Phd in Biochemistry which wasn't hard for him, but, started school early, skipped a grade and had a terrible time in high school because he wasn't at all mature/developed, etc.  Now, I do know that the Duggar children won't have these issues because of home foolery and all, and their children will most likely lack any kind of formal schooling where they might thrive, sadly.

• Useful 1
  • Love 14

Poor Izzy. He needs so much to be in school with other kids. And Jilly needs to be in intensive therapy and adulting classes. I can't believe she's finally able to actually learn things, and seems to have no interest in doing so. I was an illiterate 6th grade dropout. When I was finally able to read, I was voracious. I wanted to learn everything. Read everything. Make up for lost time. Jilly is just sort of.. There. It's sad. 

Please don't let these idiots get a dog. We got our doxies the hard way. Their owners were moving and were unable to take them along. It was a big adjustment, and I only had my son who was 3. She's an idiot. 

Edited by QuinnInND
  • Love 21
2 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

mI think the Duggars are idiots, but, more recent research is not starting especially boys til they are six because while they might do fine in earlier grades, they are slow to mature and it hinders them later on.  When my daughter in law who has a  masters in special ed did that with the grands we thought she was nuts because they are very bright, but, turns out, it has been the best for them.  Mr. lookeyloo is very smart, has a Phd in Biochemistry which wasn't hard for him, but, started school early, skipped a grade and had a terrible time in high school because he wasn't at all mature/developed, etc.  Now, I do know that the Duggar children won't have these issues because of home foolery and all, and their children will most likely lack any kind of formal schooling where they might thrive, sadly.

Mr Lookeyloo sounds like Mr Jyn's twin. He also started school a year early, then skipped first grade and ended up in second grade basically two years ahead of everyone else. Added to this, he also matured physically quite  (very) late, so graduated high school at barely 16, less than 5' tall and less than 100 lb. He had, as he recalls, a very difficult time with bullies, but still graduated close to the top of his class, and later went on to earn two BS and one (just one final paper away from two) master's degrees while holding down senior officer positions in the Navy.

With my kids, the oldest started school quite early just based on having one of those birthdays close to the cut-off date, and spent his entire school career bouncing between gifted/talented classes and getting through by the skin of his teeth because he constantly seemed to be driven to trying to figure out just how little work he could actually do to pass any given class. Even those which he could pass without lifting a finger, he literally tried to do just that and never hand in homework (we didn't actually learn of that "strategy" until maybe three years ago, when he would have been 28). The other two are also definitely leaned toward the intelligent spectrum, , but my daughter is a perfectionist who would probably die before accepting a "B" grade, and my younger son, who can excel if he puts his mind to it, but has an incredibly eclectic range of interests and sometimes gets distracted. He's probably the most like me.

Anyway (oops - winding back to Duggar territory)...this is actually relevant, I think, based on their seeming way of pushing early learning just far enough to make their kids look as though they ahead of the curve But as @lookeyloo says, kids mature at various  ages, and where your child is at four, five, six or even seven has little relevance as to where they might be ten years to come.

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
  • Love 7

Jill seems to be pushing Israel through a couple of kindergarten workbooks (reading and math) and considering kindergarten done.  That's about 1/4 of the curriculum.  She doesn't appear to consider any other aspects important or maybe she isn't aware of them.  As we've seen as the Duggar kids age, any early advantage disappears.  Can anyone see Jill teaching algebra?

• Love 10
15 minutes ago, Absolom said:

Jill seems to be pushing Israel through a couple of kindergarten workbooks (reading and math) and considering kindergarten done.  That's about 1/4 of the curriculum.  She doesn't appear to consider any other aspects important or maybe she isn't aware of them.  As we've seen as the Duggar kids age, any early advantage disappears.  Can anyone see Jill teaching algebra?

Your comment sums up my reservations about homeschooling.   Yes, Izzy is learning his letters and numbers, Jill can teach him how to use scissors, but she cannot teach him how to interact with other people.  Kindergarten is all about socialization.  She can supplement with library programs where he is around other kids, but I don't think that an hour a week is enough.  There are homeschool curriculums where the parents choose a topic for the week and the kids read a bunch of picture books on the circus, baseball,  etc.   I see parents check out massive amounts of picture books from the library and I scratch my head at what exactly the child is truly learning.   I honestly don't think these curriculums are developed by anyone with education experience.   The mothers don't care that the books are decades old, may contain offensive language or outdated information. They are more concerned with filling up the hours with something their kid will never need in their adult life.  

Jill could switch to an online program at some point to teach Izzy math, but the damage will have already been done.  

• Love 15

That girl is a disaster all around. She cannot be alone for five fucking minutes?? Standing in a car park, hoping to see dwreck? Cripes..

one day, dwreck is going to snap. Big time and i cant say i blame him. For all that he is an arsehole, someone like jill would drive me bonkers and she doesnt even try to improve herself. She has no awareness or will to expand

• Love 21

I am still surprised that Cathy and/or Derick do not see that Jill is undereducated and how this homeschooling "Duggar-style" will affect the boys. They are delusional if they think that either Izzy or Sam has a chance at getting in to real college; let alone being Pistol Pete #3. Why don't they see this and insist that the boys go to a nice Christian school nearby? It will do them AND JILL a world of good. Perhaps then, Jill may have time to organize her week and actually clean her house, get her laundry done and cook a nice meal for dinner.

• Love 16

Back in the day kindergarten was really just socialization and even optional in most states. Now it's both socialization and academics. 

I'm sure Izzy is missing most of what kindergarten is. First and foremost, learning is mostly under the radar for these kids. It's taught in song, in play, in circle time. These 5 year olds are not being forced to sit at a table or desk for extended periods of time using a workbook, with a piece of candy as a reward.

Izzy's certainly not being socialized. 

Kids' childhoods are so fleeting. Being a star reader at age 6, is cool, even cooler if it happens organically. But being a star reader at age 6 does not necessarily mean genius, or early acceptance into Harvard. It means you can read well at age 6.

Learning should be fun, engaging and exciting. I'm guessing Teacher Jill is none of those things.

• Love 19

I forgot about Jill rewarding Izzy with candy when he completed a lesson.

He will be in for a shock if he ever goes to a brick and mortar school.  "I'm finished, where are my gummy bears?"

Edited by Barb23
  • LOL 15
13 hours ago, PradaKitty said:

I think Jill is AFRAID to learn new things. 

Was going to say same thing !   

5 minutes ago, galaxygirl76 said:

So I'm home alone all day. Husband is at work, kid is at school. Last thing on my mind is to go harass my husband at work because I'm clingy. I love having the house to myself, right now I'm still in bed watching the West Wing, I'm going to work out at some point, I'm planning to prep my lunches for the next few days. It's going to be awesome. I can't wrap my head around feeling like I should go visit my husband at work for lunch because that's all I know what to do. Asking Instagram followers what I should be doing on my day off? Are you kidding me /shakes head in disbelieve

I was a latch key kid from 2 Nd grade on.   I have never really gotten used to having other people around and I knew how to take care of myself.  Jill’s neediness is just so foreign to me 

• Love 18
7 minutes ago, tabloidlover said:

I absolutely love my alone time.   I have a pretty intense job that is around 50 hours/week.   I look forward to weekends off with my family, but there is nothing better than a day off while my husband and son are at work.   It’s the BEST!   I will even admit that I have been disappointed a few times as I was scheduled for a day off alone and husband decided at the last minute to take the day off too. 

The fact that Jill clearly became unhinged at the prospect of a couple of hours alone just boggles my mind.   It’s like she thinks she always has to be “on”.   Growing up in that shitshow taught her that she should always be busy, there is always something to do.   Gotta let MOTY have time off 🙄

I hope that for her own sanity, #besthubbyever will be able to teach her that it’s ok to relax.   Otherwise she will end up in a full and total breakdown someday.

Or she needs to find something to do... maybe laundry more than once a week?  Or washing her hair ?

• LOL 5
  • Love 7
5 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I'm sure Izzy is missing most of what kindergarten is. First and foremost, learning is mostly under the radar for these kids. It's taught in song, in play, in circle time. These 5 year olds are not being forced to sit at a table or desk for extended periods of time using a workbook, with a piece of candy as a reward.

Unfortunately, this is no longer true. Kindergarten is the new 1st grade. They are expected to know how to read by Christmas and spend almost as much time as 1st graders sitting at tables doing worksheets.

In my state, mandatory schooling doesn't start until 6. Some schools require incoming children who are 5 to know how to write their name, count to 10, say the alphabet, and recognize shapes and colors. If they can't, the school can refuse to enroll them until the next year. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Barb23 said:

I forgot about Jill rewarding Izzy with candy when he completed a lesson.

He will be in for a shock if he ever goes to a brick and mortar school.  "I'm finished, where are my gummy bears?"

The candy rewards probably have something to do with his decaying front tooth. (and God only knows how many others that are in the same condition)

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Nysha said:

Unfortunately, this is no longer true. Kindergarten is the new 1st grade. They are expected to know how to read by Christmas and spend almost as much time as 1st graders sitting at tables doing worksheets.

agree - grandson in kindergarten last year had "goals" set by the curriculum for the year - putting thoughts into sentences and writing complete sentences was one goal.

grandson in 4 yr old pre school this year needs to be able to write his name, know his full address, a phone # to reach a parent. he has a late september bday, when he goes for kdg "testing" he already knows he cannot sing the alphabet or say w x y AND z or he will be docked "readiness" points

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Does Jill feel like it’s wrong to be alone? No accountability partner to keep her above suspicion? Ridiculous I know.

I also wondered why she didn’t catch up with Derek and ride along on a few deliveries. (NOT what I’d choose to do! I’d relish the alone time.)

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
On 9/28/2019 at 6:28 PM, doodlebug said:

They probably want a big dog to protect Jill in case a shower rack falls while Derrick is out Grub Hubbing.

As the owner of many beloved dogs (and picking up a rescue puppy tomorrow!), I think that, if they do get a dog, a team of us needs to volunteer for a road trip to rescue the poor pooch.

I don't like the way Jill is raising her kids, I know I won't like the way she treats a dog.

Good luck with the new baby!  I really want a dog but the expense makes me really nervous.  Well that and my kitty would kill me in my sleep.  One day!

• LOL 4
  • Love 6
8 minutes ago, OpieTaylor said:

Does Jill feel like it’s wrong to be alone? No accountability partner to keep her above suspicion? Ridiculous I know.

Jill was raised to be a worker bee/cog in the machine/beta pack animal/etc, so I do believe she views being alone as fundamentally wrong.  It is a shame.  If I was her the other night, I would have been enjoying a glass of wine or a cocktail while I read a book somewhere.  Or go to Starbucks, get a coffee, sit and read. 

• Love 18
22 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Same here unfortunately. 

Nay. He is just learning how to put coins into a slot. A good beginning if he turns out to be a professional gambler

Might be the only way he gets a new pair of shoes!

• LOL 12
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, galaxygirl76 said:

So I'm home alone all day. Husband is at work, kid is at school. Last thing on my mind is to go harass my husband at work because I'm clingy. I love having the house to myself, right now I'm still in bed watching the West Wing, I'm going to work out at some point, I'm planning to prep my lunches for the next few days. It's going to be awesome. I can't wrap my head around feeling like I should go visit my husband at work for lunch because that's all I know what to do. Asking Instagram followers what I should be doing on my day off? Are you kidding me /shakes head in disbelieve

Exactly! And in one of her next posts, she talked about how difficult it is to find time for bible devotions. . .

• LOL 8
  • Love 7

So sad that kindergarten is now 1st grade. All the more reason Jill should take advantage of teaching Izzy in a fun & exciting way.

Derick probably told Jill to ask IG what to do that night so the followers would know he was working. He has to keep up appearances because he's been working since he was 5.

• LOL 8
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, galaxygirl76 said:

Look at the way she was raised always around people always doing something being alone must be so alien to her. But I also don’t understand how Jessa does it her husband goes to work (doing what we don’t know) but she’s not a clinger, she’s not wondering where Ben is and when she can see him, maybe thinking about making him lunch and bring it too him. I know they were raised the same but I think Jessa likes being home with the kids she’s fine with that Jill however ain’t and I find that sad tbh. It’s all her parents fault they were always together, encouraged their kids when they find someone to always be with them as much as possible. Jill probably feels guilty that Derick goes to college alone and work alone she probably thinks he lonely and he needs her and her stupid parents put that in her brain.

1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Jill was raised to be a worker bee/cog in the machine/beta pack animal/etc, so I do believe she views being alone as fundamentally wrong.  It is a shame.  If I was her the other night, I would have been enjoying a glass of wine or a cocktail while I read a book somewhere.  Or go to Starbucks, get a coffee, sit and read. 

Couldn’t have put it better myself. Its such a shame they weren’t encouraged to read  anything except the bible, I loved reading as a kid, reading was my childhood and the library was my favourite place. I’m sure if she found a good book she’d love reading and wouldn’t be so obsessed with Derick. 

Edited by Puffin
  • Love 17
2 hours ago, OpieTaylor said:

I also wondered why she didn’t catch up with Derek and ride along on a few deliveries. (NOT what I’d choose to do! I’d relish the alone time.)

When I did grocery delivery, it was explicit in the agreement that no one was allowed to shop or deliver with me or they would terminate the contract. I can imagine Grub Hub has a similar policy or it would have been #datenight for those fools. 

I did witness a few of my fellow shoppers breaking this rule, I’d be at the store shopping my delivery and I’d see someone else with their kids in tow. So not everyone follows the rules, but given how people put all the Duggars/adjacents under the microscope, I’m sure DDD is very cautious of making sure not to have Clingy Jilly with him. 

• Useful 5
  • Love 11

It's funny how Jill seems the worst off on being independent of the married Duggar daughters.  Jessa seems to spend any downtime that might otherwise be lonely at the big house where there are always people around.  Jill doesn't seem to have ever done that as much and almost never since Derick started the Cross Church internship/began controversial instagram posts.  Jinger seems like she was happy to flee the chaos. Joy seems happy doing her own thing. Jill seems to be more stuck in the teen years and unable to help herself move while the others appear to have much more of an ability to adapt or make things work for them.  For her it seems like a lot more than just upbringing.

• Love 14
3 minutes ago, Absolom said:

It's funny how Jill seems the worst off on being independent of the married Duggar daughters.  Jessa seems to spend any downtime that might otherwise be lonely at the big house where there are always people around.  Jill doesn't seem to have ever done that as much and almost never since Derick started the Cross Church internship/began controversial instagram posts.  Jinger seems like she was happy to flee the chaos. Joy seems happy doing her own thing. Jill seems to be more stuck in the teen years and unable to help herself move while the others appear to have much more of an ability to adapt or make things work for them.  For her it seems like a lot more than just upbringing.

I too don’t get why Jill and the kids don’t hang out at the big house, unless Derek has forbidden it, which I’d find sad tbh even though it’s a good idea to stay away from the Duggars they are Jill’s family in the end. Plus if she’s at the big house she’d probably be doing something and not be sitting around thinking about Derek. 

• Love 3

With the exception of Jinger, I think Jill is alone more than her other married siblings.

IMO, Jill is a concrete thinker and had a concrete script for adulthood: get married, have endless babies and stand side by side with her husband 24 - 7. Because this is her interpretation of her parents' life.

Everything was fine until the c-section. Everything was fine until being left alone in a foreign country with a shower caddy. Everything was fine until the 2nd c-section.

Jill still doesn't get that her script is inaccurate and is surprised every single time life isn't as planned. She can't seem to put 2 and 2 together and realize she is living real life, her life and no matter what she envisioned, that's not the way it works. There will be another night where she's alone and she'll be just as lost, all over again.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 16
8 minutes ago, Absolom said:

I honestly think that Jill is the most effected Duggar child from everything her parents put the kids through.  Jill has been living in denial about her parents for at least a decade.  She needs intensive therapy and a better support system.  

7 minutes ago, Puffin said:

I too don’t get why Jill and the kids don’t hang out at the big house, unless Derek has forbidden it, which I’d find sad tbh even though it’s a good idea to stay away from the Duggars they are Jill’s family in the end. Plus if she’s at the big house she’d probably be doing something and not be sitting around thinking about Derek. 

For all of Derick's faults, I cannot blame him for this one.  I believe he knows his in-laws did a number on Jill and he wants to establish boundaries.  I don;t see anything wrong with that.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 14
7 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

For all of Derick's faults, I cannot blame him for this one.  I believe he knows his in-laws did a number on Jill and he wants to establish boundaries.  I don;t see anything wrong with that.  

I get you JB and Michelle are awful, but I can’t see Jill wanting to join any groups or anything to make friends and get to know new people all she’s ever known is her family, they were her whole life before she married Derick I’m sure there are times she wants to see them and if Derek has forbidden it then I feel sad for her she’s got nothing else.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, OpieTaylor said:

Grub Hub may have a company policy that doesn’t allow passengers while making deliveries.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, farmgal4 said:

Grub Hub may have a company policy that doesn’t allow passengers while making deliveries.

Derick is an independent contractor with GrubHub.  He can take Jill along with him since he is the one paying for the car and the insurance for the car.  

• Useful 8
  • Love 2
22 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Derelict has been a Ramsey devotee for several years. As her Headship, Jill must follow suit. 

Anything is a step up from Gothard's Wisdom Booklets on bankruptcy.

Dave Ramsey is a charlatan - bad as Bill Gothard. Lateral move there.

But hey, Der did come up with $250,000 for law school...

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

Jill knows people.  She just posted shots of her mamas-overpriced-face-mask-drink-tea-stupid thing. 

They may not associate with her more than once, but I think she pushes her way into group on occasion, desperate for acceptance, and they politely let her play.  But she's not really IN the group.  She'll never fit. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

JB and Michelle are Dave Ramsey followers. I'm pretty sure that Derick and Jill got his name/books/ideas from her parents. His financial ideas dovetail nicely with Gothardism/IBLP.

I'm not sure how much Derick and Jill really follow Ramsey.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Temperance said:

JB and Michelle are Dave Ramsey followers. I'm pretty sure that Derick and Jill got his name/books/ideas from her parents. His financial ideas dovetail nicely with Gothardism/IBLP.

I'm not sure how much Derick and Jill really follow Ramsey.

Jim Sammons, not Dave Ramsey.

• Love 2