Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

I believe Walmart was running a special discount for your first grocery pickups for a while.  Don't know if they still are, but it's cropped up as a 10% reward on one of my credit cards, and $10 off $50 for a different card.  

However, if my mother saw Jill trying to use the boys as an excuse, she'd say that the boys had not been properly schooled on how to behave in a grocery store, so there's that.  She's in fact very proud of it:  "I could take you children anywhere, because you sat quietly in the cart and never begged for anything.  You always took "no" for an answer."

• Love 14
1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

Mama’s Oatmeal Cookies

May 2, 2019 | Recipes | 0 

These cookies have been a favorite for a long time (especially for my dad and brother, Joe)! Israel and I had a cookie baking day today in our new kitchen and we had to make some of these! 

Makes 3 dozen cookies

1 C. butter (softened)

1 C. brown sugar

1 C. white sugar

2 eggs

a splash of vanilla or almond extract

1 t. baking powder

1 t. baking soda

1/2 t. salt

2 C. flour

3 C. oats (quick oats or rolled oats)

Mix all ingredients together. Form into balls and place on greased cookie sheet. Press ball of dough down a little on top. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 min. Let sit 5-10 min. Enjoy! 

Note: You can also freeze this dough and bake later! Just divide into thirds, place in gallon ziplock bag and smoosh into a log shape at the bottom of the bag (width should be slightly smaller that the size you want your cookies to be). Roll bag around cookie log and place in freezer. When you’re ready to bake, just peel the bag off, slice, place rounds on cookie sheet and bake! (You will need to bake a little longer since dough is frozen.)

BF6F0A6D-5305-45AD-9307-270AF1B79D49.jpeg

98B2F110-92B9-4B64-889E-E05F258766FF.jpeg

5DCF9766-21B5-4F7F-8AAF-4F601E748144.jpeg

56F7CDAF-908F-470B-8D9C-EB465244047D.jpeg

Notice the big heart-shaped cookie, lest those blessings think this quality time means they're her favourites. 🙄

• Love 7
(edited)
8 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

Some on FB are now speculating that Jill is pregnant too.

48B2796A-B577-4297-8269-2F5C73ACEDC1.jpeg

It's because of what Anna posted on #throwbackThursday. I posted about it in the media thread.

Edited by Temperance
(edited)
43 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

The comments I saw were referencing her appearance in this picture, specifically.

But it's put together with Anna's throwback Thursday. It shows a picture of Jill, Anna and Joy when Joy was first married and barely pregnant with Gideon, Jill was pregnant with Sam, and Anna was pregnant with Mason. We know Anna and Joy are pregnant again...

Edited by Temperance
more info
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

“Mama’s” my ass. That’s Cook’s Illustrated and I know because I make these all the time, with walnuts and dried cranberries added.

She’s plagiarizing on my turf now and I am not having it. 👿

When doesn't she plagiarize a recipe?

• LOL 5
  • Love 5

Full disclosure. I love the Walmart and Target pickup. With twin toddlers (who just turned 3 last Friday) and an 8 year old, it's hectic to go to the store sometimes. But, I don't make a habit of it. I went shopping with all 3 when the twins were infants. That was fun. Only not. So suck it Jilly. 

Her kitchen looks nice. Izzy is just making silly boy faces. Mine does that all the time.  Get a regular step stool for them!! Sam on that stupid chair. Ugh. At least baking cookies is a fun thing for the kids. I hope they get to play in the backyard a lot. 

• Love 4

Ugh, what’s a “farris” wheel?

i did think she looked like she was “expecting” in that shirt. 

The boys look happy!

totally normal, average oatmeal cookie recipe. I don’t think she can credit Mama for that!  

• Love 4
(edited)
47 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

Some on FB are now speculating that Jill is pregnant too.

48B2796A-B577-4297-8269-2F5C73ACEDC1.jpeg

That shirt is not doing her any favors! HAS to be a citrus and lemon. Literally no other shirt would be that ugly. 

I honestly don't think my 90-year-old ex-farm girl grandma would have worn it. (Not that farm girls are unfashionable, but she liked the dainty country prints, where I don't)

This has just got to be the most unflattering picture of her ever! Maybe it's the angle? Her belly definitely does look like it extends, so I can see why people say she's pregnant (and my belly sticks out too, but Jill's usually doesn't). It reminds me of seeing a Facebook picture of a girl you haven't seen in years and thinking, "what happened to her?!" But we know very well how Jill looks, because she posts incessantly, so I'm guessing bad angle, cropping, lighting, and outfit. 

Edited by Christina87
  • Love 5

Let's have a moment of silence and remember the good times. 

Honestly, though, it's concerning. Both have aged way more rapidly than it seems they should. 

Notice Derick has relaxed, natural hands here. Now they always look tense, or like he's giving the finger to someone. 

IMG_1075.PNG

• Love 4

Wow. What happened to them? They’ve aged fifteen years. Well, maybe only ten forJill.

She didn’t look pregnant (or overweight) in that relatively snug washed-out blue schmatta she was shilling in that photo April 24. But her chest region was...perkier. The pregnant boob look in that cookie photo may just be a result of the same bra shoving things north and/or from holding her phone in the air to get the perfect cookie ripoff shot.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

Wow. What happened to them? They’ve aged fifteen years. Well, maybe only ten forJill.

She didn’t look pregnant (or overweight) in that relatively snug washed-out blue schmatta she was shilling in that photo April 24. But her chest region was...perkier. The pregnant boob look in that cookie photo may just be a result of the same bra shoving things north and/or from holding her phone in the air to get the perfect cookie ripoff shot.

My theory is it was a bad crop job! I think she realized the shirt kind of stuck out, and people might think she was pregnant unless she edited it. Thus, she cropped it really high, accentuating her bust, and letting us see enough of the puffed out fabric to draw the conclusion she could have a small bump. I bet if we saw the whole picture, we'd see that it was just a puffy shirt, but her cropping is actually bringing more attention, not less. I've definitely cropped pictures before, trying to look thinner, before realizing I would have appeared slimmer if I'd just left it alone!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, DangerousMinds said:

The comments I saw were referencing her appearance in this picture, specifically.

i thought exactly that when i looked at the photo.

• Love 5

I was typing a post on Joy & Austin's thread about Joy's pregnancy & accidentally typed Jill instead of Joy. I wondered if it's a premonition. 

I know Jill is a Walmart shopper, but I wonder if she realizes she can stay home & have her groceries delivered the same day as she orders (for a fee.)  I recently found out that Target does same day home delivery thru one of the delivery services, for a fee comparable to Amazon Prime.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Christina87 said:

Let's have a moment of silence and remember the good times. 

Honestly, though, it's concerning. Both have aged way more rapidly than it seems they should. 

Notice Derick has relaxed, natural hands here. Now they always look tense, or like he's giving the finger to someone. 

IMG_1075.PNG

Wow, I can't believe how much they've aged in just five years. I know they've gone through some tough times with Cathy's cancer and Josh-gate, but still. 

• Love 6
11 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Wow, I can't believe how much they've aged in just five years. I know they've gone through some tough times with Cathy's cancer and Josh-gate, but still. 

Cathy had cancer when they met. 

3 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

Yeah, that was the first thing I thought when I saw it, and I was just popping in on this thread so have no other recent photos, etc as context. The picture alone screams “baby bump.” (Though I only wore an adorable empire waist tank once at 19 because I realized it completely looked maternity/baby bump, and I weighed 100 pounds even at the time. 🤷🏻‍♀️)

5 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

I hope she had the boys wash their hands before making the cookie. I doubt she did, but one would hope she did. I would not touch the cookies with a ten foot pole.

If the cookies are just for them at home, who really cares? (I mean, yes, teach them about hand washing for cooking, etc, but in terms of germ sharing that ship has already sailed for the parents of toddlers. As an *aunt*, no, I never ate food the kids helped with unless I’d been the one cooking with them and personally supervised the use of soap, etc.

• Love 1

Jill and Derick have ruined the infinity symbol for me. Anyone think they see this house a new band-aid on the relationship, like the move will do them some good? Unfortunately, like Buckaroo Banzai said, "wherever you go, there you are."

She's watching a sermon on that laptop. ATI or is it Jer's mentor? Not s smart move, expensive apple laptop + food + heat + 2 little boys. Oh well, if it is ruined a new one will mysteriously appear. It always does.

• Love 10

So they have internet access or a smart phone with an app to order groceries. How many temptations into the bigger world are trying to lure them in 

but at least Jill has her hair contained while she is baking. 

• Love 1

My twins are five and we have been through two phases where shopping with “all the children” was miserable. What I like about her post and the Naughty Sam posts is that she doesn’t appear to be using the Pearl or other harsh training up methods. Children don’t develop self-control until at least three, so I like that she is rolling with the punches a bit and not killing their spirit. I would feel better if that included putting the knives out of reach and perhaps some baby gates with that damn stool on the other side of it.

I also did a double take with that one picture. She looks like she has a puffy pregnant face and a bump.

When I am baking, I draw a sharp line between whether I am baking for just us or for others. Kids can help for just us. For others, I change at least my shirt in hopes I have minimized the risk of dog fur getting in it 😬

I often listen to podcasts including sermons while in the kitchen, but that would drive me bananas with two kids also talking. Too much noise!

• Love 6
(edited)
34 minutes ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

I also did a double take with that one picture. She looks like she has a puffy pregnant face and a bump.

I think that picture is an unfortunate combination of clothing choice, camera angle, and composition. The camera is apparently at arm's length, which can be close enough to have marked distortion at the edges of the image. Also, Jill is way over at the edge of the image, where the lens distortion is, and she seems to be wearing an empire style (or similar) top. 

I wouldn't give too much weight to how she looks just based on that photo. She could be puffy because she's knocked up, or puffy because she's somewhere in her cycle when she retains water (i.e., not pregnant), or not puffy at all, just looking funny in one photograph.

Yes, I'm a photo geek. 

@Marshmallow Mollie, I love your comment about keeping the dog fur out of your cooking for "others." 🤣

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 3

Looks like they really did buy their house! Tax Assessor's website finally updated; they closed on April 17. That's the day before they announced, which makes sense now. We were all pretty spot-on about the price, too: $188,000. That's pretty reasonable for a normal couple their age. For Jill and Derick, though... I sure hope they're sitting on some saved teevee money or an inheritance!

• Useful 2
  • Love 8
(edited)

From those baking pictures you can see that the builder really used super cheap materials.  The countertops are laminate, the floor appears to be sheet vinyl, and the stove has ring burners.  

Not that there is anything wrong with those materials, and I realize that standard finishes vary from region to region, but most new builds (including apartment complexes) have lower end granite counters, laminate flooring, and smooth top ranges (or gas, depending on the area). The finishes in Jill's house were more common in the 90's.

It's possible that the builder offered upgrades which they declined, but even Jessa's mold house has nicer finishes.

I have to give them some credit for buying a less expensive house, especially given their financial situation (honestly not sure how they managed to buy a house at all), but the earlier posts about the builder having a reputation for building cheap, crappy houses seem to be spot on.

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 10
(edited)
6 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

From those baking pictures you can see that the builder really used super cheap materials.  The countertops are laminate, the floor appears to be sheet vinyl, and the stove has ring burners.  

Not that there is anything wrong with those materials, and I realize that standard finishes vary from region to region, but most new builds (including apartment complexes) have lower end granite counters, laminate flooring, and smooth top ranges (or gas, depending on the area).

It's possible that the builder offered upgrades which they declined, but even Jessa's mold house has nicer finishes.

I have to give them some credit for buying a less expensive house, especially given their financial situation (honestly not sure how they managed to buy a house at all), but the earlier posts about the builder having a reputation for building cheap, crappy houses seem to be spot on.

You should have seen what our house looks like when we first got it. The previous owners put carpeting in the kitchen, the front door was not put in right, the back door was not the best and not safe at all, the wiring was not done right,  put in a wood stove between the living room and kitchen the wrong way, and lets not forget the crappy kitchen exhaust fan closed off along with the separate stove and oven in the wall. We are darn lucky we have not had a fire in our house. You would think the Duggars came in and tried to fix the house up before putting it up for sale. I have seen newer manufactured homes that look and were put together better than the Duggars' homes.

Edited by bigskygirl
8 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

You should have seen what our house looks like when we first got it. The previous owners put carpeting in the kitchen, the front door was not put in right, the back door was not the best and not safe at all, the wiring was not done right,  put in a wood stove between the living room and kitchen the wrong way, and lets not forget the crappy kitchen exhaust fan closed off along with the separate stove and oven in the wall. We are darn lucky we have not had a fire in our house. You would think the Duggars came in and tried to fix the house up before putting it up for sale. I have seen newer manufactured homes that look and were put together better than the Duggars' homes.

WHO CARPETS A KITCHEN? That's just a recipe for grossness, no matter how good you are at vacuuming.

To be fair, my ex sister in laws house in a very cold state had carpeted bathrooms, which was also weird as hell but I assumed was a heat issue. 

Sorry, I'm back to the carpeted kitchen again, and imagining how moldy a carpeted Duggar kitchen would be. 

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, questionfear said:

WHO CARPETS A KITCHEN? That's just a recipe for grossness, no matter how good you are at vacuuming.

To be fair, my ex sister in laws house in a very cold state had carpeted bathrooms, which was also weird as hell but I assumed was a heat issue. 

Sorry, I'm back to the carpeted kitchen again, and imagining how moldy a carpeted Duggar kitchen would be. 

Our kitchen was carpeted back in the late 70s early 80s. I think it was a trend because I remember our neighbor's was as well. 

• Love 5
24 minutes ago, SoupyShoes said:

$188,000

Code DERICK saved them nothing. Must be nice to randomly buy a house with no verifiable income, even if it is a cheaply made tract home.

19 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

I would have bought a cheap fixer-upper and had Austin flip it for me, to get myself back on TV. This is the Durwood's we are talking about, they'll live in this house a maximum of 18 months before ennui leads them elsewhere.

• LOL 10
  • Love 4

I cannot help and think how gross a Duggar kitchen would be like with or without carpeting. Still grosses me out thinking of Jill baking the cookies with the boys especially with the boys probably sticking their fingers in the cookie dough without washing their hands. *yuck*

(edited)

@bigskygirl: Carpet in the kitchen?  That's just wrong.  And also a fire hazard I would imagine.

The point I was trying to make is that most builders know that kitchens and bathrooms sell houses, and they tend to offer nicer finishes to tempt buyers. Plus, as contractors they get better prices on materials, so it doesn't even cost them that much to upgrade from laminate to a less expensive granite.  For example, I did some checking, and the difference in price between a range with ring burners and one with a smooth top is only $30.

That builder appears to be using the cheapest possible materials to maximize profits.  And from the horrible reviews the builder has received we can be pretty sure the workmanship is crappy too.  I know Jill has had the "pay as little as possible" mentality drilled into her from childhood, but you really do get what you pay for.  Sometimes it's better to pay a bit more up front, or wait until you can afford to do so.

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 9

I wonder if Jill and Deredick brought home insurance. I know we had to get insurance when we took out the loan for our house with the credit union. I did see a story on the news last night about how expensive home insurance was getting in certain parts of the country.

16 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I think Derick and Jill grifted way more in donations than they let on. The guy hasn't had a steady job since Walmart and that was four years ago, yet he managed to blow 12k on a useless internship, attend law school, pay for an apartment and purchase a brand new home. I don't see Boob giving them money. He only rewards the lemmings who fall in line. 

Deredick needs to write a book on how to get things without working for them. If he took the money people were giving the both of them for Danger America, he should be paying it back because law school and a new house was not part of deal when it came to donating.

36 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I think Derick and Jill grifted way more in donations than they let on. The guy hasn't had a steady job since Walmart and that was four years ago, yet he managed to blow 12k on a useless internship, attend law school, pay for an apartment and purchase a brand new home. I don't see Boob giving them money. He only rewards the lemmings who fall in line. 

I completely agree. They only returned the donations to those who specifically complained, which few leghumpers probably did. Also, they lived high on the hog while they were in danger america. Remember how many times they came home for weddings, etc?

• Love 11
(edited)

Maybe they make more off of social media than we know. It's possible. She has like a gazillion leg humpers.

Just now, beckie said:

Edited by beckie
  • Useful 2
18 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Mama’s Oatmeal Cookies

May 2, 2019 | Recipes | 0 

These cookies have been a favorite for a long time (especially for my dad and brother, Joe)! Israel and I had a cookie baking day today in our new kitchen and we had to make some of these! 

Makes 3 dozen cookies

1 C. butter (softened)

1 C. brown sugar

1 C. white sugar

2 eggs

a splash of vanilla or almond extract

1 t. baking powder

1 t. baking soda

1/2 t. salt

2 C. flour

3 C. oats (quick oats or rolled oats)

Mix all ingredients together. Form into balls and place on greased cookie sheet. Press ball of dough down a little on top. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 min. Let sit 5-10 min. Enjoy! 

Note: You can also freeze this dough and bake later! Just divide into thirds, place in gallon ziplock bag and smoosh into a log shape at the bottom of the bag (width should be slightly smaller that the size you want your cookies to be). Roll bag around cookie log and place in freezer. When you’re ready to bake, just peel the bag off, slice, place rounds on cookie sheet and bake! (You will need to bake a little longer since dough is frozen.)

BF6F0A6D-5305-45AD-9307-270AF1B79D49.jpeg

98B2F110-92B9-4B64-889E-E05F258766FF.jpeg

5DCF9766-21B5-4F7F-8AAF-4F601E748144.jpeg

56F7CDAF-908F-470B-8D9C-EB465244047D.jpeg

Have these people never heard of a proper step stool?

• Love 14
2 hours ago, questionfear said:

in the 70s, my aunt and uncle had a little A-frame ski chalet. It had lowwwww pile indoor/outdoor type carpeting thru the kitchen and dining room, which was open to the living room, which had SUPER HIGH pile shag. Hahahaha. I remember playing Fisher price little people in the kitchen cuz the School bus wouldn't roll on the shag. I am sure it was partially fashion, but at least partially insulation, as we only really went up there in the winter. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
4 minutes ago, MamaMax said:

in the 70s, my aunt and uncle had a little A-frame ski chalet. It had lowwwww pile indoor/outdoor type carpeting thru the kitchen and dining room, which was open to the living room, which had SUPER HIGH pile shag. Hahahaha. I remember playing Fisher price little people in the kitchen cuz the School bus wouldn't roll on the shag. I am sure it was partially fashion, but at least partially insulation, as we only really went up there in the winter. 

HA!  I grew up in a little A frame house (technically 1 bedroom with a loft for a family of 5).  It had orange/hot pink/yellow shag carpeting, same color beads hanging between rooms, naked lady foil wallpaper in the 1 bathroom.  It had been a bachelor pad before we bought it and I wouldn't be surprised if someone told me key parties had been held there.  My parents eventually added onto the house and got rid of the color scheme but it did stay that way for quite awhile.  

• LOL 5
  • Love 4
48 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

HA!  I grew up in a little A frame house (technically 1 bedroom with a loft for a family of 5).  It had orange/hot pink/yellow shag carpeting, same color beads hanging between rooms, naked lady foil wallpaper in the 1 bathroom.  It had been a bachelor pad before we bought it and I wouldn't be surprised if someone told me key parties had been held there.  My parents eventually added onto the house and got rid of the color scheme but it did stay that way for quite awhile.  

This is Mommy Rabbittron are you sure that we did not live in the same house. The only thing that is different is I came from a family of four.  Everything else is the same house. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1