Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, tarheel220 said:

Thought you all would like to know that thanks to this thread, I have had cinnamon toast for breakfast both yesterday and today.  No root beer floats though since I'm not a fan of root beer.

There is such a thing as a Coke Float...I do enjoy them, with Diet Coke, on a very rare occasion.  Unless you don't like that either.  I also like ice cream in Cream Soda.  Hmmm.  A new recipe coming up!!

• Love 6
18 hours ago, BradandJanet said:

My mother used leftover biscuits. She split them and put butter, sugar, and cinnamon on the cut sides. Then she broiled them until the topping turned into a sweet, crunchy surface. Yum. 

That does sound really good!

16 hours ago, riverblue22 said:

You know what is good?  Cinnamon sugar on rolled out leftover piecrust and baked in the oven.  I always liked it better than the pies!

My grandmother always used to do that.  I may have made pie crust before just for this purpose!

3 hours ago, tarheel220 said:

Thought you all would like to know that thanks to this thread, I have had cinnamon toast for breakfast both yesterday and today.  No root beer floats though since I'm not a fan of root beer.

I realize this is very complicated and I do not want to be called elitist or anything but you could try coke.  Did I make your head explode?  

• Love 8
8 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

That does sound really good!

My grandmother always used to do that.  I may have made pie crust before just for this purpose!

I realize this is very complicated and I do not want to be called elitist or anything but you could try coke.  Did I make your head explode?  

Oddly, though I don't care for root beer I do like it in a root beer float. Geez, though...it's got to be at least 15 years since I last had one!

• Love 3

You can make an orange float with Orange Crush, if that is something you like.  Don't tell Jill.  

• Love 8
(edited)

No root beer floats though since I'm not a fan of root beer.

I like my floats with orange soda--tastes like a creamsicle.  Oops, @BetyBee beat me to it.

Edited by magpye29
someone else posted the same thing
  • Love 6

All of this has reminded me of a cookbook assembled by one of my daughter’s preschool teachers. It was the children’s take on recipes from home. I wish I had saved it to quote exactly.

One girl’s entry began at the supermarket all the way to putting the meal on a plate in a certain order. Another was for spaghetti, which involved putting 25lbs of spaghetti in a really big pot for 3 hours! ?

• Love 21
1 hour ago, tabloidlover said:

Whoa!!!  Slow down girl!  That’s way too much information in way too few words.  Imma need step by step with pictures please. 

I Googled steps to make a milkshake. I'm laughing so hard that this exists. They don't miss a step!

• Love 6
5 hours ago, louannems said:

This good short cut should be passed on to the Maxwell clan.

Teri Maxwell once removed 3 lb of FROZEN ground beef, dethawed it so she could use up one HALF of an onion, mixed the few bits of chopped onion into the beef, browned it, then REFROZE it!  She would love your water tip!!!

AND this great tip was worthy of a full blog!

My husband did that one time with some hamburger. He cooked it up, separated the hamburger into small freezer bags and refroze it. I use one bag for sloppy joes, and he use the rest to make chili and spaghetti.

1 hour ago, bigskygirl said:

My husband did that one time with some hamburger. He cooked it up, separated the hamburger into small freezer bags and refroze it. I use one bag for sloppy joes, and he use the rest to make chili and spaghetti.

That is an Instant Pot hint too.  Just plop the meat into the pot and add the rest of the ingredients

• Love 3
3 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

That is an Instant Pot hint too.  Just plop the meat into the pot and add the rest of the ingredients

I think "plop" may be even better than "dump" as a verb to use in a recipe. :)

• Love 17

I always thought it was because the way the ice cream melted in “legs” down the outside of the glass after it was put into the soft drink and it fizzed up over the top of the glass.  You then had to slurp the legs before they hit the bottom of the glass.  I remember being given a straw and a long spoon when having one of these in a cafe.  Lime was always my favourite.  

• Love 4
On 7/3/2018 at 11:36 PM, QuinnInND said:

Cinnamon toast was my favorite thing at my grandma's house! I didn't know it was a special recipe. I remember making it when I was 5. My grandma mixed the sugar and cinnamon together in a bowl. 

And I remember making a comment about Jilly posting how to make toast. I don't know if I was the first, however.

Jilly with the ice cream cone. Quite phallic. She's probably not used to having something so big to lick. I'll show myself to the prayer closet. 

when my boys were little in grammar school I would make can biscuits for breakfast, press the middle just a bit to hold the butter (not a lot) sprinkle with cinnamon & sugar, can't believe I needed a recipe for this, smh. Or maybe I need to send her an idea and see if she posts it on her blog.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, Whyyouneedaname said:

when my boys were little in grammar school I would make can biscuits for breakfast, press the middle just a bit to hold the butter (not a lot) sprinkle with cinnamon & sugar, can't believe I needed a recipe for this, smh. Or maybe I need to send her an idea and see if she posts it on her blog.

That sounds delicious!  I’ve just done cinnamon toast the traditional way, but I certainly didn’t need a recipe.  My mom made it once, then I was able to copy ...when I was 7. 

• Love 10

Sometimes when I'm hungry and I don't have time, I make a quick snack. I'd like to share this with you all. I just get some tortilla chips and melt grated cheddar cheese on these in the microwave.  I know right? Super easy. I'm going to send this recipe to Jill in the hopes she can post this to share with her bazillions of fans. 

• Love 23
10 minutes ago, zenme said:

Sometimes when I'm hungry and I don't have time, I make a quick snack. I'd like to share this with you all. I just get some tortilla chips and melt grated cheddar cheese on these in the microwave.  I know right? Super easy. I'm going to send this recipe to Jill in the hopes she can post this to share with her bazillions of fans. 

Not to push the limits, but you could also open a jar of salsa and jazz it up a bit.

• Love 18

Has Jill let us in on the secret of how to make a grilled cheese sandwich yet?

Or suggested grating an onion instead of chopping it works well in recipes where the onion pretty much disintigrates anyway.

Maybe she'll trump Sarah Maxwell and finally let us in on the secret of how to cut lettuce with a pizza cutter!  Ms. Maxwell promised a post (with pictures) a couple of years ago, and for some reason has failed to deliver.  C'mon Jill, scoop the Maxwells!

• Love 13
3 hours ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

Whoa there little missy!  Don’t go gettin’ all fancy with your hoity toity pee-can-tay sauce and Mexican recipes!

Then Pico de Gallo, crema, and avocado chunks are out of the question?

• Love 4

Y’all, I was watching a video on YouTube of a woman who specializes in frugality make dinner.  She has hundreds of thousands of followers and some of her discount tips are actually fantastic.

Her chicken parm consisted of pasta, jarred sauce, and Dino nuggets instead of a breaded cutlet.

JILL??? That you??

• Love 7
1 hour ago, SMama said:

Then Pico de Gallo, crema, and avocado chunks are out of the question?

Them's FURRIN foods! We don't want none of that latino stuff. We are AMERICAN!

• Love 7
2 hours ago, NetflixandChill said:

Forgive me, as I'm sure this has been talked about by y'all, but I am late to the party. JILL HAS A NOSE RING?!!! 

A stud, yeah. She's had it for awhile. It prompted much discussion because it usually looks like a zit rather than a stud. 

• Love 6
(edited)

Famy goes to Cross Church and drinks like a fish. I think such rules are arbitrary these days. 

eta: Unless you're IFB. Then you're subject to the entire book of Leviticus.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 4

Sounds like Derick is taking a similar stance to Jeremy. But I've always thought that conservative Christians generally indicated that it is not a sin to drink alcohol, it is however a sin to get drunk. Then again, you've got folks like Mr. Keller who indicated that Jesus turned the water to grape juice, not wine. Anyone want to clarify?

• Love 2
(edited)

I sort of did in my post. The Kellers are IFB like the Duggars, Caldwells, Forsyths, Swansons, Rodriguii, et al. They are strongly anti-alcohol under any circumstances. Remember Mechelle's convenience store protest when sick, fragile Josie was about a week old?

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 2
(edited)
13 minutes ago, madpsych78 said:

Sounds like Derick is taking a similar stance to Jeremy. But I've always thought that conservative Christians generally indicated that it is not a sin to drink alcohol, it is however a sin to get drunk. Then again, you've got folks like Mr. Keller who indicated that Jesus turned the water to grape juice, not wine. Anyone want to clarify?

Disciple Paul, in his letters to the Churches, said moderate drinking was ok - to settle the stomach. Many Protestant sects are perfectly ok with alcohol. John the Baptist was anti-alcohol.   So Baptists who drink are like Catholics  who use birth control.  They exist and might even be common- but they are violating their churches’ stated beliefs. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 3

I think it can depend on the individual churches within the denominations, as well as the individual. 

My grandmother was raised Southern Baptist and abhors all alcohol. She's in her 70s and has never had a drink in her life. The concept of social drinking also holds no water with her. I am nearly 30 and would rather be slowly beaten to death with sticks than admit to her that, though I have never been drunk in my entire life, I enjoy the occasional rum and coke. I suspect it might be rooted in her family's alcoholism problems, though. That Southern Baptist upbringing didn't stop all of her brothers from being very severe alcoholics.

Likewise, I have a coworker and a dear friend who is a very devout Methodist who also is a staunch teetotaler. I remember being surprised when someone joked about bringing alcohol to a party, and someone else immediately objected because they assumed my coworker would not like it because she was a Methodist. I was so confused because I knew other Methodists who didn't seem to really care. Didn't realize at the time how closely Methodism was connected to stuff like the temperance movement. 

The non-denominational but really sort of Presbyterian Christian college I attended had a strict no alcohol policy, and some of the people there could be really weird about it, even if you were of legal age and drinking off campus. 

• Love 3
(edited)

I will confess to being lazy enough to actually buy McCormick's pre-mixed cinnamon sugar.  If you've never seen it you can generally find it in the grocery store near the spices but off to the side with the salt blends and spice rubs, etc.   When a bottle has run low I've tried to make my own (it was, I reasoned, only cinnamon and sugar) but I've never been able to get the balance right.  I was looking at my bottle yesterday and noticed that it has a recipe for Cinnamon Toast on the label.  The recipe: "Sprinkle on buttered toast. "

By the way,  this is the website for All Recipes:  https://www.allrecipes.com/  It is my go-to site for good, everyday cooking.  You can get a half dozen or more variations on most dishes and if you read the comments they have valuable suggestions from people who actually cooked it. 

Edited by Quilt Fairy
  • Love 11
On 7/5/2018 at 10:33 AM, louannems said:

This good short cut should be passed on to the Maxwell clan.

Teri Maxwell once removed 3 lb of FROZEN ground beef, dethawed it so she could use up one HALF of an onion, mixed the few bits of chopped onion into the beef, browned it, then REFROZE it!  She would love your water tip!!!

AND this great tip was worthy of a full blog!

Wouldn't it have just been easier to dice the onion and freeze it? Or would that not thaw back out right? I don't eat onion, but I know there's some foods that don't thaw to the same texture it was originally. 

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, Fostersmom said:

Wouldn't it have just been easier to dice the onion and freeze it? Or would that not thaw back out right? I don't eat onion, but I know there's some foods that don't thaw to the same texture it was originally. 

I'm no cook but my sister is and she chops onions and freezes them in little baggies all the time.  Probably depends on what you're going to use it for; certainly it could be used for soups and meatloaf and cooked foods.  Maybe not so good when used 'fresh' on a salad.  In any event, makes far more sense than thawing 3 lbs of beef to add a micro amount of onion and then cooking and refreezing it.  Limits options as to what you could do with the beef, too.  

• Love 9

Stores sell frozen chopped onion in bags in the frozen foods section. It’s with the veggies. They also sell frozen chopped green peppers. And yes, it’s primarily for cooking...onions get soft when frozen, but retain flavor. So best used for cooking as opposed to salads and other “fresher” recipes. 

• Love 4
(edited)
20 hours ago, zenme said:

That was my friend's recipe for quesadillas in college.  Toss grated cheese on flour tortilla and microwave. 

My jam was low-rent risotto, which is:  1 cup cooked rice, to 1/2 cup grated cheese and 1/4 cup frozen peas.  Melt 2 tblsp. butter in pan on stove.  Squash into pancake and fry up on medium-high heat, until crispy on both sides.  This takes 5-7 minutes a side.  (Usually made with some type of cheddar, but I like Swiss when it's crispy.)  If you're really in a hurry and don't want to wait to fry it up ("creamy-style"), you can even toss the cheese and still-frozen peas right into the hot rice, mix the rice around, and let the heat of the rice cook the peas and cheese.  Season with Adobo to taste.  (PSA:  If you can dietarily afford the extra sodium, Adobo is phenomenal on pizza.)

Edited by queenanne
  • Love 6
(edited)

My husband and I would get English Muffins, put them in the microwave with pizza sauce and cheese on top. I cannot remember how long we would leave the muffin slices inside the microwave to cook and melt the cheese. Talk about delish.

Edited by bigskygirl
(edited)
1 hour ago, bigskygirl said:

My husband and I would get English Muffins, put them in the microwave with pizza sauce and cheese on top. I cannot remember how long we would leave the muffin slices inside the microwave to cook and melt the cheese. Talk about delish.

I think this was one of the first things we cooked in Home Ec. class & loved them.  This was before microwaves so we baked ours instead which gave them a crispier outcome. Just like a regular pizza, we added any toppings we liked but think pepperoni was the favorite.  I think I'll be making these soon. 

Not sure if Jill could handle getting all the toppings ready but I think this is something Izzy would love to make.  

Edited by Barb23
  • Love 10
3 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

I do this, but with french bread instead. amazing. delicious. Now I want pizza. 

I would love to see Jill’s pizza recipe. Its probably just like “call dominos”

• Love 10
15 minutes ago, allonsyalice said:

I do this, but with french bread instead. amazing. delicious. Now I want pizza. 

I would love to see Jill’s pizza recipe. Its probably just like “call dominos”

Jill's pizza snack is saltines, ketchup, with  an American cheese slice on top. 

• Love 22

And after Jill gets her Domino's pizza or after she finishes making her saltine pizzas, she heads to the nearest car for the precious and sweet ambiance, while Derick properly restrains the kids in their car seats of the parked car.

• Love 9