Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

(edited)
5 hours ago, graefin said:

I was about to post the same thing. Granted, Jill is generally a terrible writer, but there is nothing wrong with that particular sentence.

I have a couple of English degrees and teach the language for a living, but I'm still prone to the occasional brain fart . . . so I'm glad to have someone confirm that there's nothing wrong with the grammar of Jill's original sentence.    :-)

I wasn't at all surprised to learn that Derick may be considering law school. He fancies himself a an intellectual giant and a champion debater. This is purely speculation, but I wonder whether any conservative Christian legal organizations (such as Jay Sekulow's American Center for Law and Justice) offer scholarships for right-wing religious types who aspire to be attorneys.  (BTW, "good Christian lawyer" is my favorite oxymoron! I wish I could say I made up that joke.)

I currently attend a Baptist church, and our young pastor (whom I love) recently switched us to the "communion snack packs."  I like them a lot more than I ever dreamed I would, and here's why.  Baptist churches, at least in my experience*, traditionally eschew the more formal and ritualistic aspects of worship that you see in Catholicism and the mainline protestant denominations . . . BUT you sure wouldn't know that if you attended some SBC churches on a Lord's Supper Sunday.  When you see a white cloth draped over the communion elements on the Lord's Supper table, you know things are about to become very fancy. Deacons clad in their best suits line up and march about very ceremonially as they distribute the shiny trays of wafers and communion cups to every corner of the space. (Don't forget the balcony! And the choir loft! And the pianist!) At least two of them will have the opportunity to pray aloud during the Lord's Supper ceremony, and you can be sure they have written them out and practiced them in advance, because they're much more elegant than the run-of-the-mill prayers for the sick and the shut-ins.  The way we do communion has always seemed a bit distracting and off-brand to me.  The practice of communion, at least as I interpret it, is about remembering Christ's sacrifice and what that means for his church and for me personally, and the over-emphasis on people during the ceremony always bothered me.  As our new pastor prepared the congregation for our snack pack trial run, he explained that it would simplify the process and help focus our attention toward the act of communion itself. For me it was a surprisingly easy transition. I'm sure there are some people who are more distracted by the cheesy packaging of the new method, but I actually find it less distracting than the shiny trays and self-important deacons. 

Edited to Add:  After re-reading my post, I think I should clarify that I am not trying to make fun of churches that have a more ritualized approach to communion. I grew up in such a church, and I enjoy and have great respect for many styles of worship.  I am only saying that I have always felt that the way some Baptists celebrate communion seems at odds with other aspects of Baptist worship.

* It's worth noting that SBC churches are autonomous, so practices may vary somewhat from one congregation to another. Ultimately I can only speak to the churches I have attended.

Edited by Portia
explained above
  • Love 10
3 hours ago, ginger90 said:

I had no clue how to spell it, (it’s Zimne Nogi) I had to wing it, but this was part of my childhood. I can picture the pan my great grandmother used as if I saw it yesterday! 

2E1FB7C0-C735-4284-9BC5-8E5019CCB896.jpeg

Oh my mom used to make this as well. Zimne Nogi is right (means cold feet), but we always just called it nozki (pronounced something like NOOZSH-kee), which is a diminutive form of feet. It stunk up the house royally during the process of rendering those pigs' trotters down to a gelatine. I couldn't stomach the smell or look of it, not to mention that I've  never been able to handle the texture of gelatine, and can't even eat jell-o without gagging. It tickles. So this was  always one of the very few things which I just won't eat. Plus it was always served with vinegar which I'm not a fan of either.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, WhineandCheez said:

This is all a ruse to trick Jews into trying to make Liquid Smoke-overloaded brisket for Shabbat...........

I am 95% sure no one has ever made me a brisket with Liquid Smoke...my mom makes a pretty kickass brisket but there's definitely no BBQ or smoke involved. 

14 hours ago, Marigold said:

I am ex IFB.

Yes, they take communion.  It is usually matzoh bread and grade juice.  Some churches do it on a Sunday but most practice closed communion.  It is given maybe once a month on an odd day where the congregation meets to just take communion.  It takes maybe an hour or so.  A lot of praying and Bible reading.  The minister prays over the matzoh and that is passed through the aisles.  Then the pastor prays over the grape juice and that is passed through the aisles in the little cups.  The traditional Bible passage is read where Jesus breaks the bread...my body given for thee, my blood shed for thee. etc.

I don't have first hand knowledge of home churches but I'm going to guess that the men in charge will do what I described above. 

Wait, you all eat matzah willingly? (It's sort of a running joke that only gentiles actually like matzah). 

• Love 2
51 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

Israel saw this cute little bunny outside the other day, and asked me to come outside and see it! The bunny let us watch it for awhile before it hopped away! 

Did anyone noticed the comment section is disabled. Izzy and the bunny rabbit are smarter than Jill.

On 5/24/2018 at 8:35 AM, rainclouds said:

It looks like our Dewreck will be applying to law school.  I used one imagine becuase my phone is being annoying but he is following countless law schools and programs.

18412825-9361-4390-BA67-5735091C5626.png

1 hour ago, graefin said:

Wait a minute. How do we know Derick is considering law school? Just because he's following a bunch of law-related accounts? I think that's a stretch.

It's somewhat speculative, of course. But those accounts aren't just general interest law accounts. One of them focuses on the law school admissions test and another on the bar exam (post-degree licensing test). So it's not wild speculation, IMO.

• Love 10

Alright. First of all, Jill needs to learn the difference between burritos and enchiladas. And whatever she made are neither. Barf city. I don't kind cream of whatever in a recipe once in a while but three cans is gross and that crap has no place on either burritos or enchiladas. 

And yes, I noticed her carpet looked dirty. Having lived in base housing, I can attest to the fact that even when the carpet is professionally cleaned, it still looks dirty. But in Jill's case, I'm sure the carpet is as filthy as it looks. Gag. 

• Love 12
2 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Israel saw this cute little bunny outside the other day, and asked me to come outside and see it! The bunny let us watch it for awhile before it hopped away! 

at about the 40 second mark i was thinking "you know what she went through nearly a whole minute without saying yay and thats a win in my book.

she did not. 

• Love 13

I don’t think Derick is considering applying to law school, but I think he wants people to think he might be applying to law school and talk about it, and about him. He loves attention and this is a less controversial way to get some. 

Purely speculation on my part, of course. 

• Love 11

The guy who posted on his Twitter a few weeks ago said Derick had exiting things going on later on this year and mentioned him doing something this fall. I think he's definitely going back to school. 

• Love 1
(edited)

And speaking of food....

Isn't Jilly Muffin a bit old for this? Not to mention, it wasn't even her birthday. Yes, Izzy could have had a few bites, but not the entire thing!

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 3

The only reason they go there is for the free sundae. Why didn't she dress up in her gold pageant heels, like she did for Derick's birthday? These cheapskates should have gone there on her actual birthday and treated her buddies to one.

• Love 4

The bunny video shows that Izzy can speak clearly and put together sentences.  In fact, in the bunny video he seems to be a bright little guy. What a difference from that awful recitation from the bible.  I can't imagine the stress they put that child through to get him to say that verse.  Clearly he can speak just fine, but when stressed and pressed to recite something that is utter nonsense to him it comes out as jibberish.  That poor child. 

• Love 22
19 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

Deredick and Smuggs can become lawyers and sue heathens who done them wrong because we all know they are the true "victims" of their bad behavior. *rolling eyes*

The ONLY reason they would go would be to try and repeal Roe v Wade

18 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

Oyster crackers??

I'm Catholic and from Boston...if you give me oyster cracker, there better be clam chowder.

16 hours ago, Lady Edith said:

Omg 

My Baba and Gigi made and ate this weekly. Ugh the smell when it was cooking. Let alone the SOUND of it when a whole table of people ate. It was like a herd of wet-tentacled octopi eating jello with straws.

I tried it once. Never again. Ever. 

I will stick with Vareneky and borscht and Holubtsi.  She much safer. 

EW! and LOL

16 hours ago, Jenilane6 said:

Catholic communion wafers are similar to those thin round rice crackers from Whole Foods.  They stick to the roof of your mouth but taste good (starchoholic here).  The wine is just red table wine, not bad and not the best.  Our priests take communion first and last.  All the leftover wine!

We get a local Rose. It's not bad but a little sweet for my taste. 

16 hours ago, awaken said:

My mind is blown by those combo snack packs of communion juice and crackers!  Wow. 40 years as a communion-taking Christian of many stripes (before I gave it up) and I never encountered those!  It’s like lunchables!

Communicables. HA! 

• Love 22
(edited)

There’s a restaurant not too far from me that offers the birthday person a free meal ON their birthday only. 

There’s a bar not far from my daughter that offers a free fishbowl drink ON the birthday only.

It’s odd, to me to be able to just do it when you want.

Special ❄️ I suppose.

Edited by ginger90
  • Love 7
(edited)

There’s a restaurant not too far from me that offers the birthday person a free meal ON their birthday only. 

There’s a bar not far from my daughter that offers a free fishbowl drink ON the birthday only.

Special ❄️ I suppose.

Red Robin gives a month or so after the birthday to get the free burger, or so I'm told. Every other place I've heard of offers the freebie on the birthday only. 

ETA: I would feel very weird going only to get the freebie, whether it was a burger or a dessert or a drink. Something tells me the Dullards and the Duggars only get the freebie. 

Edited by Heathen
  • Love 6

Special ❄️ I suppose.

Yea, every place by me that offers a deal - like a free dessert is on the day of ONLY and here you get your free dessert with a purchase of a meal.  No walk ins and only the free and water.  Which I totally get.  I wonder how much money the Marketplace looses on the Duggar and adjacents free birthday sundaes.  I can't imagine the amount of free advertising from the Duggars' social media accounts make up for 500 zillion free sundaes, not to mention taking up a table that paying customers could use.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, TresGatos said:

Before we had our First Communion at Our Lady of Lourdes the Priest brought in some unconsecrated hosts so we could know what the wafer tasted like before the actual event but he brought them in an empty Bunny Bread bag and I remember my dad getting quite irritated after I came home and insisted that our wafers had been baked by Bunny Bread. He thought it was terribly disrespectful to put communion wafers in a Bunny Bread bag even if they were unconsecrated. (For the record Monks at a nearby Monastery baked the wafers).

That's pretty funny.  It sounds like something that ought to go in one of those quiet literary fiction-type novels about families and kids coming-of-age.

• Love 8
(edited)
10 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

Jill posted a video on Instagram, and it doesn’t play. Someone commented that perhaps one has to donate to view it !

I went into the blog (shoot me now), and it wouldn't play until I went into the blog dropdown menu. There's an obligatory "Yay!" at the end, for no reason. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 5
19 hours ago, awaken said:

My mind is blown by those combo snack packs of communion juice and crackers!  Wow. 40 years as a communion-taking Christian of many stripes (before I gave it up) and I never encountered those!  It’s like lunchables!

I showed my *hubby* the photo, and he said: "*wifey*, those look like Jeezy Lunchables".  

• Love 3

We went to a nice restaurant to celebrate son in law's birthday over a month later and got a special dessert and confetti on the table - no proof necessary. But we were really celebrating his birthday. The special dessert was not a drippy sundae although honestly that looks good to me!

• Love 2
3 hours ago, HoboClayton said:

Hahaha! #free 

I read this and started to scroll up to see if she really wrote #free. Then I stopped scrolling because I realized you must have been snarking because there is no way she actually wrote #free. I thought I was being a little slow on the uptake. So I continued scrolling to check the picture again, sure I was going to see that you were just being witty and I was being dumb. But no, there it is. #free

• Love 12
14 hours ago, TresGatos said:

I can see Derick imagining himself as a lawyer so he could further harass trans kids by trying to keep them from using public restrooms.

I’m sure this would be his aim, along with preventing teh gays from purchasing wedding cakes!  

• Love 3
(edited)
On 5/22/2018 at 5:09 AM, ginger90 said:

Video

I would pay good money to watch Derelict  have to learn these same exact verses in Spanish. I bet if he'd never of read them in english, he'd know exactly as much about what it means as poor Israel does to him.

Edited by ChiCricket
Misspelled poor Izzy's name because.. drugs
  • Love 7
18 hours ago, MamaMax said:
On 5/24/2018 at 8:14 PM, Jenilane6 said:

Catholic communion wafers are similar to those thin round rice crackers from Whole Foods.  They stick to the roof of your mouth but taste good (starchoholic here).  The wine is just red table wine, not bad and not the best.  Our priests take communion first and last.  All the leftover wine!

We get a local Rose. It's not bad but a little sweet for my taste. 

I've never gone to a church that served wine for communion. Every church I ever went to (Baptist, Nazarene, Wesleyan, FourSquare, Assembly of God and assorted charismatic community churches) served grape juice.

• Love 3
(edited)
25 minutes ago, Nysha said:

I've never gone to a church that served wine for communion. Every church I ever went to (Baptist, Nazarene, Wesleyan, FourSquare, Assembly of God and assorted charismatic community churches) served grape juice.

You gotta hang with us Catholics, we're all about the wine!  I've never been to a church that didn't have Communion at every service and didn't use real wine.  Some Catholic churches don't distribute wine at Communion every time for logistical reasons (my church is one of those newer 'in the round' kinds and the aisles are not  conducive to more than one station for Communion), but when there's wine, it's the real thing.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 12
On 5/25/2018 at 5:55 AM, Jeeves said:

*Student loans are not dischargeable in bankruptcy. Yes, there's an exception which could allow you to discharge them, but it's so hard to get that for all practical purposes nobody should expect to get it. And honestly if you could qualify for it, IMO your life would be really in the sh*tter anyway. (Edited to add:  I did read that it may be possible to have the debt forgiven after 20 years but the IRS would treat the forgiven balance as income so you'd be paying income tax on that amount.)

My boss is in her last year of a program where she worked 10 years for a non-profit or government entity and paid her student loan payments on time, then the balance is forgiven. It wasn't until last year that she learned she was going to have to pay income tax on the forgiven balance. She's kind of freaking out because it's a lot of money and working for a state college is not very lucrative.

• Love 6
21 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

And speaking of food....

Isn't Jilly Muffin a bit old for this? Not to mention, it wasn't even her birthday. Yes, Izzy could have had a few bites, but not the entire thing!

Oh my goodness, @Sew Sumi, one is never too old for a hot fudge Sunday. 

However, getting it for free without also buying a meal is just wrong.

• Love 6

Wait, this restaurant seriously just gives people free sundaes even if they don't purchase anything?  And we know that the Dullards did this, just claimed the sundae without ordering any food at all?

Wow. I suppose the restaurant owners anticipated people having too much class to just come in and sit down and enjoy a free eight or nine dollar item without buying anything else. Obviously they didn't count on the Duggars. 

• Love 21
12 minutes ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

Wait, this restaurant seriously just gives people free sundaes even if they don't purchase anything?  And we know that the Dullards did this, just claimed the sundae without ordering any food at all?

Wow. I suppose the restaurant owners anticipated people having too much class to just come in and sit down and enjoy a free eight or nine dollar item without buying anything else. Obviously they didn't count on the Duggars. 

If nothing else, a grown woman putting her picture online and bragging about getting a free sundae for her birthday is tacky, tacky, tacky.  I presume she gets a postcard or email for the sundae after registering for a 'birthday club' or some such; but most of us understand it's nothing to crow about, even if we do go out and get the sundae. And, yes, it would've been nice to see that she and Dreck and the kids actually paid for a meal before whipping out the card for the freebie.

• Love 16
18 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

If nothing else, a grown woman putting her picture online and bragging about getting a free sundae for her birthday is tacky, tacky, tacky.  I presume she gets a postcard or email for the sundae after registering for a 'birthday club' or some such; but most of us understand it's nothing to crow about, even if we do go out and get the sundae. And, yes, it would've been nice to see that she and Dreck and the kids actually paid for a meal before whipping out the card for the freebie.

I wonder if they even tipped ... oh wait. I think I answered my own question.

• Love 11
3 hours ago, Nysha said:

I truly don't understand this. When did Jesus ever frown on a sip of wine?

3 hours ago, doodlebug said:

You gotta hang with us Catholics, we're all about the wine!  I've never been to a church that didn't have Communion at every service and didn't use real wine.  Some Catholic churches don't distribute wine at Communion every time for logistical reasons (my church is one of those newer 'in the round' kinds and the aisles are not  conducive to more than one station for Communion), but when there's wine, it's the real thing.

Damn right!

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Nysha said:

We have both wine and grape juice at my Presbyterian church's communion. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

Shame on these cheapskates.  I won't use the restroom at a mini-mart on the road without buying something.  

And to just go to a restaurant for a freebie without a purchase and tip for the server?  Never.

• Love 11
9 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

If my loss of interest in Derick reflects others, then I'm guessing traffic has slowed down on all their social media. Derick's maniacal Tweets is was kept my snark going into between episodes. I just can't do Jill's sloppy recipes and haphazard parenting.

Thank goodness I have my 4 month anniversary with @Celia Rubenstein to look forward to. #freesloppysundae? #shecallsmekitten #snarkqueenextraordinaire #totallyspecial #yay!

Does she still call you kitten? And are Fritos still the food of love? I just feel so invested in this marriage. 

• Love 19
10 minutes ago, Westiepeach said:

Does she still call you kitten? And are Fritos still the food of love? I just feel so invested in this marriage. 

Oh yes. And for your enjoyment, a recipe. Dump some ground beef (or turkey!) into a skillet, stir in taco powder, open a bag a shredded cheese and dump in a bag of Fritos. Enjoy! All pictures and recipes are the property of whoever owns them. I did not steal this picture from the internet to make money.

frito_pie_in_a_bag_recipe.jpg

• Love 18
34 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Oh yes. And for your enjoyment, a recipe. Dump some ground beef (or turkey!) into a skillet, stir in taco powder, open a bag a shredded cheese and dump in a bag of Fritos. Enjoy! All pictures and recipes are the property of whoever owns them. I did not steal this picture from the internet to make money.

frito_pie_in_a_bag_recipe.jpg

I am so making this for dinner tonight! 

• Love 8