Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

I'm wondering if they'll be targeting India for their next round of victims converts. Danger America was a bust, so they need a new location to hand out Dum Dums and Bible tracts.

All snark aside, the video of Sam was really cute.

• Love 5

I agree it probably wasn’t ‘hot-hot’, because Sammy was clearly getting some kind of surprising punch off of the taste, but he wasn’t streaming tears or making negative head motions.

• Love 1

India is a hugely diverse country with various cuisines. It's entirely possible that Jill was feeding him Indian food that's not at all spicy.  (Same goes for Mexican food...it's highly regional and many regions don't use chilies in their food at all.)

• Love 15
On 5/10/2018 at 1:01 AM, satrunrose said:

Whenever I read another of these posts from Jill and Derrick about "disagreeing" with their children, my heart just breaks for these little guys. Izzy. Is. 3. He is not discussing the merits of vegetarianism or interpretations of Leviticus. Good grief, if the message he's getting at. 3. when he says No! to eating his vegetables is a gritted teeth "I love you and forgive you and don't hate you." What's going to happen when he's old enough to actually argue? Are they mad at him because he hasn't broken The Pecan Thief's preschool repentance record yet?

He's going to turn into TFDW and write a long ass essay about how much of a sinner in need of a savior he was at the age on 3 .

• Love 3

Rarely check in on the Duggars when they aren't in season. Jill and family are eating Indian food? Why? What are they trying to prove exactly -- that they're soooo cultured and open minded? Just 4 years ago Derek was introducing Jill to exotic things like vegetables and hummus - bc before that Jill and her siblings were making faces at ethnic food - and now we're supposed to believe that 4 years later it's all different that they chow down on chole masala on the regular and listen to Bollywood music?? Did someone have to tell Jill what Bollywood even was so she could get it right on the blog? I can imagine Derek liking Indian food bc he lived in Nepal for a year or 2 and Indian food isn't all that different from Nepali. And Indian food doesn't have to be spicy at all -- things like rice, lentils, chicken can be made without heat and usually are in Indian homes with young kids.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, lascuba said:

India is a hugely diverse country with various cuisines. It's entirely possible that Jill was feeding him Indian food that's not at all spicy.  (Same goes for Mexican food...it's highly regional and many regions don't use chilies in their food at all.)

She is probably taking it easy on the heat. Indian food (like Mexican) can be all different levels of heat. I'm a complete wimp when it comes to heat in my food (in temperature as well as spice-I'm happy with most things being lukewarm), but I love the flavors of both Mexican and India food. Pain just doesn't need to be among the flavors in my book.

Actually, I'm a bit perplexed by Sammy's reactions. As someone mentioned, while he seemed to enjoy it, he was also somewhat taken aback by every bite. Seems as though he would either be hesitant to taste a new food again if it had startled him, or decide he liked it and be looking forward to the next bite, but he seemed to find it new and surprising with each mouthful. 

• Love 2
On 5/8/2018 at 6:53 PM, ChiCricket said:

Please notice the first comment on this Bates post. 0_o

Screenshot_20180508-214947.jpg

Wow, manga cum laude in a real major? WTG Tori. Too bad she’ll probably never get to use her degree. 

Topic... does Jill even know how to close her mouth? 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, cereality said:

Rarely check in on the Duggars when they aren't in season. Jill and family are eating Indian food? Why? What are they trying to prove exactly -- that they're soooo cultured and open minded? Just 4 years ago Derek was introducing Jill to exotic things like vegetables and hummus - bc before that Jill and her siblings were making faces at ethnic food - and now we're supposed to believe that 4 years later it's all different that they chow down on chole masala on the regular and listen to Bollywood music?? Did someone have to tell Jill what Bollywood even was so she could get it right on the blog? I can imagine Derek liking Indian food bc he lived in Nepal for a year or 2 and Indian food isn't all that different from Nepali. And Indian food doesn't have to be spicy at all -- things like rice, lentils, chicken can be made without heat and usually are in Indian homes with young kids.

Ha!  Reminded me of their hiking “date” with James hanging around, where D-wreck packed goat cheese and the little chaperone was horrified at the exotic food. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, awaken said:

Ha!  Reminded me of their hiking “date” with James hanging around, where D-wreck packed goat cheese and the little chaperone was horrified at the exotic food. 

James had never seen hummus, which bowled me over. My neighbor's toddler eats hummus and could easily identify it out of a food line-up.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

James had never seen hummus, which bowled me over. My neighbor's toddler eats hummus and could easily identify it out of a food line-up.

The Duggars are small-town southerners, though. Here in Michigan? A zillion kinds of hummus in any grocery store. The small Southern towns I lived in? "What's hummus? That some kind of furrin food?" 

• Love 8

Don’t want to link and give them clicks!

Should Religion Inform Your Politics?

May 10, 2018 | Life Matters | 0 

by Derick

As I get more into writing, I’m going to play it safe by starting a blog series, covering 5 of the least controversial subjects people talk about:  Politics, sex, money, religion, and sarcasm.

Should Christians be concerned about politics?

Yes.  At the very least, we should strive to be informed voters. Biblically speaking there are many reasons we as Christians should involve ourselves in the voting process. Here are 3 that I find especially compelling in my own study of Scripture:

To be a good steward (manager) of what God has given us.

When most people think about stewardship, they think of material things, but I believe Scripture is calling us to manage everything well that we have control over, including situations, knowledge, intellect, talents, processes, opportunities, etc… that can be used for good, to the glory of God. Even if we don’t like the government and drama associated with it, I think that Christians should definitely take advantage of the voting process.  We fall short if don’t take what we’re given and make the best of it.

This point could also relate to our call to do all to the glory of God in Colossians 3.

Ecclesiastes 9 also talks about the importance of making the most of the time and working hard at whatever your hand finds to do. Again, most people think about vocational work in this passage, but I posit that “whatever your hand finds to do, do it with your might…” in verse 10 could apply to voting as well.  Voting is a means by which we can contribute to the progress toward finding the best people to represent us in government, and if we abdicate that responsibility we are not using “all our might” so that good may triumph.

The example of the apostle Paul.Paul was resourceful, taking advantage of the privileges of his Roman citizenship in Acts 22 for the cause of Christ. This allowed Paul to further his testimony before the chief priests and the council.As I mentioned in a previous point, this appears to be an example of Paul being a good steward of all God had entrusted him with.Each of us are born at a particular time, in a particular place, to a particular family, with particular opportunities.  There are many things about our lives that we cannot control, but we can control how we respond, by whether we do what we can with what we have.

God does not view everything the way that man does. This is why Jesus said that the poor widow of Luke 21 had given more than all of the rich people.

Likewise, this is why my parents did well to teach my brother and me that life was less about what was thrown at us and more about how we chose to respond to things.

God will hold us accountable for what we did with what we had, and I want to strive to hear my Lord say “Well done, good and faithful servant”

Not voting may be a sin for some people.James 3:17 says that “So whoever knows the right thing to do and fails to do it, for him it is sin.”

Furthermore, we are without excuse if we try to deceive ourselves or others. Proverbs 24:12 calls us to account by questioning “If you say, ‘behold, we did not know this,’ does not he who weighs the heart perceive it? Does not he who keeps watch over your soul know it, and will he not repay man according to his work?” We can fool ourselves or others by claiming ignorance for the sake of personal preservation, but God, the creator of your soul, knows your heart fully, and he can never be deceived.

For example, if you realize that the legal killing of unborn babies is an advocacy issue, recognizing that the right thing to do would be to contribute to a process that could be used to fight against such atrocities, while at the same time failing to do anything about it, you are sinning.

Like I said, not voting isn’t always a sin for everyone, but as Christians, we should realize the responsibility that rests on our shoulders and be careful not to be quick to make excuses not to vote.

How should I vote well?

I mentioned above that we should be informedvoters.  “Informed” is certainly the key word here.  When you do your research on political candidates, you are evaluating the qualifications and determining to what degree they line up with your interests as a citizen of the US.  Essentially, it’s a job interview for our public servants, and “we the people” are the boss.  An elected official’s job is to do what’s in the best interest of her/his constituency. I usually try to focus on a few main factors when informing my vote.

What are the candidates’ views on issues that I care about.

To what degree do I care about certain issues? On this point, it’s somewhat more about evaluating myself.  There are definitely some hills worth dying on, so to speak, and some that just aren’t worth it.  I weight some views more than others when I’m trying to decide who to vote for.

Look at their ability and likelihood of accomplishing what they say they want to accomplish.

It’s important to realize that there are no perfect candidates, but it is important to evaluate who you think the best candidates are, among the choices you have. If you consistently find that you don’t have anyone on your ballot that aligns with your views, then maybe you should consider running for office yourself.

Unrelated to voting, but on the topic of being a responsible citizen, one of the best ways to advocate for yourself or others is to contact your representatives in government, and let them hear your voice.

If you’re an Arkansas resident, I would encourage you to check out the link below to a non-partisan publication, to learn more about your candidates in the upcoming election.

http://arkansasvotersguide.com/?page_id=13

• Love 2

Jill added the recipe for tater tot casserole that her family used, which makes 2 pans or one big industrial size one. She said it's not the healthiest but it's a cheap way to feed a crowd, aka her giant family. 

(edited)
14 hours ago, BitterApple said:

My daughter fell in love with hummus at 16 months old (when she arrived home).  She loved dipping veggies and naan in it. Tika Masala has also been on her menu since then. We separated her sauce and made it mild. Husband and me had full on Serrano peppers on our sauce. Good food memories, but we did not advertise on social media.

Poor Sam may have had feelings that cannot righteously be fulfilled, while doing what babies do listening to music (sarcasm). Did they get a new table? Why was Izzy so far away from his parents?

Good  for the Dullards to expand their menu. What was the point of the video? I won’t shit on her version of Tika because it varies. What was the purpose of the music? Jilly Clingy grew up with the stirring desires crap. Jackson was admonished for grooving with a musical toy.

I would love to believe Jill is OK with her son doing what any kid does when listening to music. Sadly, I feel it’s another video to portray look at how normal we are. No, nope.

Edited by SMama
  • Love 7
(edited)
On 5/9/2018 at 2:59 PM, graefin said:

Someone posted this analysis of Jessa vs. Jill on FJ that I'm bringing over here because it's pretty on point:

I agree with a lot of this, but I would characterize the quality less as "humility" than "self-awareness."

I have a personal mantra that a little self-awareness goes a long way.  The people in life who are hardest to stomach are the ones who seem to have little to no awareness of the way they come off to other people. So, they make no attempt to try to understand others' points of view nor can they imagine WHY anyone would dislike them. 

Edited by MamaMax
  • Love 10
29 minutes ago, MamaMax said:

I agree with a lot of this, but I would characterize the quality less as "humility" than "self-awareness."

I have a personal mantra that a little self-awareness goes a long way.  The people in life who are hardest to stomach are the ones who seem to have little to no awareness of the way they come off to other people. So, they make no attempt to try to understand others' points of view nor can they imagine WHY anyone would dislike them. 

Yes, but beyond the self-awareness, there's a quality with Jessa of not being above, say, taking a post that is not well-received down or posting a follow-up to explain her thinking behind it. With Jill there is none of that. Maybe that's where the other poster gets the sense of "humility" from.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, MamaMax said:

I'd go one step beyond self-aware and say brand-aware. And she never fails with a passive aggressive response when folks call her out. Jill is just completely unaware. To me Jill is who she is and Jessa is who she thinks will bring the most hits and money. She's just smart enough not to have a donate button.

• Love 8

I can’t even bring myself to read Derick’s diatribe on religion and politics. Don’t feel like being angry tonight!

And yes, I’m very sure he’s well informed by nonpartisan sources ?

• Love 11
(edited)

From the post mentioned above (unable to quote)

This was a family favorite in my (Jill’s) family growing up. It’s not the healthiest, but certainly makes for an easy and cheap dish when you’re trying to feed a crowd.

Makes two 9×13″ pans or one large industrial pan

2 lbs ground turkey (seasoned with onion powder, salt and pepper when cooking)

3 (2lb) bags tater tots

2 cans cream of mushroom soup

2 cans cream of chicken soup

2 (12 oz) cans evaporated milk (or 3 cups milk)

Brown meat with seasonings then drain off excess liquid. Place meat in the bottom of large casserole dish. Cover with tater tots. Mix soup and milk together and pour over top of tater tots. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.

C4C07067-6D50-40AD-896C-79161811D101.jpeg

Would adding spinach, or broccoli be so hard? 

Edited by ginger90
  • Love 9
(edited)
18 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I've made TTC a couple of times and always added a bag of frozen mixed veggies. It's kind of like a lazy version of Shepherd's Pie that way.

I love one pot, or pan meals. My grandson simply calls them “à la Mum” because no matter what the dish is, they are never the same twice.

Edited by ginger90
  • Love 3

Tater tots are somewhat like croquettes right? Crispy on the outside and soft on the inside? But wouldn't drowning them in several cans of soup make them kind of soggy? Or do they keep their crisp despite the soup? I've been tempted for years to try this concoction using croquettes (I don't think we've got any tater tots) just to see what all the fuss is about but the idea of a pan full of soggy potato balls sounds a bit off putting. Has anyone tried it?

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Vaysh said:

Tater tots are somewhat like croquettes right? Crispy on the outside and soft on the inside? But wouldn't drowning them in several cans of soup make them kind of soggy? Or do they keep their crisp despite the soup? I've been tempted for years to try this concoction using croquettes (I don't think we've got any tater tots) just to see what all the fuss is about but the idea of a pan full of soggy potato balls sounds a bit off putting. Has anyone tried it?

Good tater tots are crispy on the outside, soft on the inside. It doesn't take much to turn them from good to bad, though. The ones the Duggars use must be the consistency of pudding after they're marinated in cream of sodium soup. 

• Love 5

I have made a version of TTC.  It was so damn salty that it was hard to eat.  One (HA!) of the problems in her recipe is the time and temp.  If you look on a bag of TT, the temp is usually in the 425-450F range.  Only cooking these for an hour at 350F will turn them mushy.  If baked according to the TT directions, they do come out crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.  It doesn't reheat well at all, so unless your family of 2-20 can eat the whole industrial pan, you just wasted the time and money.  

If anyone is looking for an easy way to try curry dishes, check out this brand of sauce.  It's a 3-ingredient meal that can be made quickly on a weekday evening.  The Tikka Masala is one of our favorites, and every one we've tried has been good.  Mr. Six doesn't like a lot of spice (I *love* it), and the mild is a true mild.  

• Love 3

My experience with Tater Tots is not good.  Many years ago I slipped on one in the school cafeteria and ended up with two shoulder surgeries.  I had a lot of fun explaining that to Workers Comp.  Good Times!!

• Love 21
(edited)
50 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

My experience with Tater Tots is not good.  Many years ago I slipped on one in the school cafeteria and ended up with two shoulder surgeries.  I had a lot of fun explaining that to Workers Comp.  Good Times!!

Lmfaooo!!!! Your story reminds me of those Farmers Insurance commercials where the spokesman relays tales of all the wacky claims they've dealt with over the years. 

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 12
56 minutes ago, awaken said:

I have to admit, that sounds yummy for a once-in-a-while meal, and I might make it, with broccoli!  

Aside from all those cans-o-sodium, it doesn't sound revolting. I'll admit to a weakness for pretty much anything involving potatoes, grease and salt, and would pretty much consume any amount of tater tots which were put in front of me (one of the reasons I never buy them!). I'm assuming that once all the liquid gurgles to the bottom of the dish the tots crisp up on whatever surfaces are left reasonably un-sogged. 

Oh, by the way, I found the MOST addictive (and dead easy) recipe yesterday. Coconut bacon. Maybe not entirely convincing as a substitute for bacon bits, but closer than one might think, and the crunch and flavor are so good that it hardly matters. There are a number of recipes out there - this is the one I used, though it's easy to tweak by taste if you like a bit more or less sodium, sugar, spice, etc. The timing and technique is spot on, though...https://minimalistbaker.com/easy-coconut-bacon/ . I could eat it by the handful. Which is why it's unlikely that I'll be making more anytime soon...

• Love 2
11 hours ago, sixlets said:

I have made a version of TTC.  It was so damn salty that it was hard to eat.  One (HA!) of the problems in her recipe is the time and temp.  If you look on a bag of TT, the temp is usually in the 425-450F range.  Only cooking these for an hour at 350F will turn them mushy.  If baked according to the TT directions, they do come out crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.  It doesn't reheat well at all, so unless your family of 2-20 can eat the whole industrial pan, you just wasted the time and money.  

If anyone is looking for an easy way to try curry dishes, check out this brand of sauce.  It's a 3-ingredient meal that can be made quickly on a weekday evening.  The Tikka Masala is one of our favorites, and every one we've tried has been good.  Mr. Six doesn't like a lot of spice (I *love* it), and the mild is a true mild.  

I use that brand of sauce too. So good. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Aside from all those cans-o-sodium, it doesn't sound revolting. I'll admit to a weakness for pretty much anything involving potatoes, grease and salt, and would pretty much consume any amount of tater tots which were put in front of me (one of the reasons I never buy them!). I'm assuming that once all the liquid gurgles to the bottom of the dish the tots crisp up on whatever surfaces are left reasonably un-sogged. 

I make TTC every once in a while, but I add a bag of frozen mixed veggies to the top of the meat & pour the liquid on top of that, then add the tater tots. I like the idea of upgrading to veggie tots.

• Love 2
On 5/11/2018 at 1:29 AM, Heathen said:

The Duggars are small-town southerners, though. Here in Michigan? A zillion kinds of hummus in any grocery store. The small Southern towns I lived in? "What's hummus? That some kind of furrin food?" 

When I was in college  (95-99) I worked in the dining hall for a semester. I was the only one who could get along with the woman who was in charge of the salad bar, so I did a bunch of those, relatively not gross, shifts. I had to make hummus for that and honestly, a lot of students, including me, had never had it. Up until relatively recently, the grocery stores in the area had maybe one, two flavors tops, over by the packaged deli area. I swear there was like 8 different kinds when I was there last night though. I've still never had it, the scent when I had to make industrial sized quantities back in the day has totally turned me off of ever trying it. It could be the best thing ever, but yeah, no, I'm probably never going to try it since I couldn't stand the smell. 

People tend to grow up with a local and family food influence. It amazes me that I know a 50 year old woman who sees Italian food as exotic. Granted, I'm an 40 year old Italian who lives near Cleveland, and she grew up in the middle of the state all but on a farm. She never had cannoli until 2 years ago and didn't know what chicken piccata was when she and I were planning a Christmas dinner for our Cleveland and Columbus offices at a chain restaurant in 2016. Even the in no way Italian people I know in the local area have had all these things and know what they are. Hell, I know a very, very Texas born and raised woman, who when I told her I was Italian, she instantly asked in my family was in the mob. Um, well, to be honest some were, so yeah, but for that to be the first assumption just because I'm Italian, made me shake my head in wonder. So, in the end, I do have to give it to Jill for at least branching out of the foods and experiences that were drummed into her from birth, even just a little bit. I don't see Joy making Austin and Giddy Indian food anytime soon and we saw what happened when Jana and Jessa tried to make meatballs. Hell, I'd say a good hunk of the country has never had a pierogi, and even less even know what city chicken is, both things being regional staples (FYI, city chicken is not actually chicken, it's pork). 

• Love 12
9 minutes ago, Fostersmom said:

When I was in college  (95-99) I worked in the dining hall for a semester. I was the only one who could get along with the woman who was in charge of the salad bar, so I did a bunch of those, relatively not gross, shifts. I had to make hummus for that and honestly, a lot of students, including me, had never had it. Up until relatively recently, the grocery stores in the area had maybe one, two flavors tops, over by the packaged deli area. I swear there was like 8 different kinds when I was there last night though. I've still never had it, the scent when I had to make industrial sized quantities back in the day has totally turned me off of ever trying it. It could be the best thing ever, but yeah, no, I'm probably never going to try it since I couldn't stand the smell. 

People tend to grow up with a local and family food influence. It amazes me that I know a 50 year old woman who sees Italian food as exotic. Granted, I'm an 40 year old Italian who lives near Cleveland, and she grew up in the middle of the state all but on a farm. She never had cannoli until 2 years ago and didn't know what chicken piccata was when she and I were planning a Christmas dinner for our Cleveland and Columbus offices at a chain restaurant in 2016. Even the in no way Italian people I know in the local area have had all these things and know what they are. Hell, I know a very, very Texas born and raised woman, who when I told her I was Italian, she instantly asked in my family was in the mob. Um, well, to be honest some were, so yeah, but for that to be the first assumption just because I'm Italian, made me shake my head in wonder. So, in the end, I do have to give it to Jill for at least branching out of the foods and experiences that were drummed into her from birth, even just a little bit. I don't see Joy making Austin and Giddy Indian food anytime soon and we saw what happened when Jana and Jessa tried to make meatballs. Hell, I'd say a good hunk of the country has never had a pierogi, and even less even know what city chicken is, both things being regional staples (FYI, city chicken is not actually chicken, it's pork). 

My neighbor!  Anyone who doesn’t know what city chicken is has lead a sad, sad life.  As for pierogis, I’m a Polack who lived in Parma as a kid, just thinking about ‘em makes my mouth water.  On the other hand, I grew up in the 60’s and Middle Eastern foods like hummus weren’t  at Lawson’s, so I never had it until about 20 years ago when it started to become popular.  Living in a big city with a real diversity of food options is such a privilege.

• Love 6
On 5/11/2018 at 12:29 AM, Heathen said:

Ex-Detroit gal here. I go crazy when I go home - Greek food on every corner. It’s heaven. 

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

My neighbor!  Anyone who doesn’t know what city chicken is has lead a sad, sad life.  As for pierogis, I’m a Polack who lived in Parma as a kid, just thinking about ‘em makes my mouth water.  On the other hand, I grew up in the 60’s and Middle Eastern foods like hummus weren’t  at Lawson’s, so I never had it until about 20 years ago when it started to become popular.  Living in a big city with a real diversity of food options is such a privilege.

Lawsons! They had the best jojos and chip dip! I'd say city chicken would have been right up the Duggar wheelhouse, but since I swear I read they don't eat pork, that's a big old no.

I will say, I'm surprised Jill's TTC and something else she posted contained ground turkey. I would have just figured cheap ass 70/30 ground beef. 

• Love 2
55 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Anyone who doesn’t know what city chicken is has lead a sad, sad life.

That would be me, then. It's just been in the last 10 years that I've eaten sushi, calamari, cannoli, and hummus. Growing up, garlic was considered too spicy for my working-class family meals. I raised 5 kids on the same type of casseroles I was raised eating, although garlic was included. When I wanted to branch out, I checked out the church/Grange fundraiser recipes books because they were filled with basic foods that everyone liked. While I will try anything once, I have a limited food budget and an even more limited entertainment budget, so I buy what I know is going to be eaten because wasting food is sinful.

So, more power to Jill & Derick for introducing their very young children to foods from different cultures. 

• Love 14
(edited)

I spend a lot of time in the UK and eat and make a lot of Indian food. Tikki masala, Tandoori chicken, Korma  and butter chicken tend to be lower in spice.  Eventually make your way to Madras and then Vindaloo.   And the Pataks, you can add coconut milk to them to tone down any spice. Now I know what's for dinner

Edited by JennyMominFL
  • Love 9
6 hours ago, floridamom said:

Doesn't Jill know how to cut a recipe in half? Oh, yeah, that pesky 'math'.....she leaves up to Derick to figure out.

And it's not even like it calls for hard math! She doesn't have to figure out what half of 3 and 3/4 a cup is or something that requires the slightest bit of thought. Two 9x13 pans requires two pounds of turkey and two cans of milk and  two cans of soup.  So one 9x13 pan would require ONE pound of meat, ONE can of milk ONE can of soup. Duhhh.

Hey Jill, I will actually do the tricky part for you:  3 two pound bags of tots = 6 total pounds of tots. Half of six is THREE.  You would need 3 pounds of tots for a single 9x13 pan. You're welcome. 

• Love 13
9 minutes ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

And it's not even like it calls for hard math! She doesn't have to figure out what half of 3 and 3/4 a cup is or something that requires the slightest bit of thought. Two 9x13 pans requires two pounds of turkey and two cans of milk and  two cans of soup.  So one 9x13 pan would require ONE pound of meat, ONE can of milk ONE can of soup. Duhhh.

Hey Jill, I will actually do the tricky part for you:  3 two pound bags of tots = 6 total pounds of tots. Half of six is THREE.  You would need 3 pounds of tots for a single 9x13 pan. You're welcome. 

Hahaha! I'm terrible at math, but have learned to be really good at approximation when I don't feel like getting a paper & pencil for the tricky bits. I'd imagine that even Jill could eyeball a bag and a half of tater tots if she wasn't up to measuring out three pounds.

• Love 3
21 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I'd imagine that even Jill could eyeball a bag and a half of tater tots if she wasn't up to measuring out three pounds.

You're giving her way too much credit, JT. 

Oh well, at least she didn't use the word "dump" in the recipe this time.  She had several opportunities to do so but instead used words like "place" and "cover" which don't conjure up images of toilet bowls brimming full of ... anything. She'll be ready to take over for Lidyia Bastianich any day now. 

• Love 18
53 minutes ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

Jill sounds just like my mother.  She insist that halving a recipe causes it to taste differently.  I was a pharmacy technician in a past life where I compounded prescriptions, and I know how to do the math.  But, my mother does not believe me (story of my life).  I can half baking recipes because of my training, but mom does not believe me. 

• Love 11