Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

So they missed the part about the Johnny Jump Up should be repositioned or removed when more than the child's toes touch the floor?  His knees were on the floor!

I believe we are going to see a recipe from Jill on making plain toast or ice cubes before she's done.  Or next week she'll discover green onion dip.

• Love 13

Haha, very minor detail, but i totally have he same autumn leaf dish towel that jill had on the counter in that video! It was from Walmart last fall, for probably less than $3. ?

I love how of course, this dip was from powedered soup mix. I thought she was trolling us at first when she mentioned looking for recipes on soup boxes, but then I realized no way does she have that level of self-awareness!

• Love 1

Okay, I looked it up, she didn't use the exact recipe off the back of the box. Lipton's recipe calls for 16 ounces of sour cream per pack of mix. Her recipe calls for 12 ounces. Honestly, I would probably like her version better since it would have more onion flavor, but yeah, it's just easier to mix the packet right into the sour cream container like someone else mentioned. 

• Love 3

I admit I’m a food snob. I also acknowledge that not everyone had exposure to cuisines from all over the world and living in a household with an income that could afford to suit a variety of food tastes. 

I am not upset with Jill for writing about recipes she grew up with, but why doesn’t she push herself just a LITTLE bit. For example the dip- why didn’t she come up with a homemade snack to serve with it? Or write a post on “party foods”- beginner (the dip featured above), intermediate and advanced? Or “a childhood favorite with a twist”, it’s as if she doesn’t want to learn anything new. She just wants phrase and likes for the same old shit someone else did a generation ago. 

Edited by Scarlett45
  • Love 16
14 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I admit I’m a food snob. I also acknowledge that not everyone had exposure to cuisines from all over the world and living in a household with an income that could afford to suit a variety of food tastes. 

I am not upset with Jill for writing about recipes she grew up with, but why doesn’t she push herself just a LITTLE but. For example the dip- why didn’t she come up with a homemade snack to serve with it? Or write a post on “party foods”- beginner (the dip featured above), intermediate and advanced? Or “a childhood favorite with a twist”, it’s as if she doesn’t want to learn anything new. She just wants phrase and likes for the same old shit someone else did a generation ago. 

I love the idea of party foods--beginner, intermediate, advanced. There are really so many angles she could use to present this blog other than "I think I'm an expert...here's my dear sweet friend Patty's dip!"

• Love 8

Every awful recipe is a family favorite for Jill. It shows what she grew up eating. 

I'm not a great cook, but I've taken a lot of cooking classes in my life because they're fun, show me new recipes, and let me gain some knowledge about food science. Classes are available low-cost at community centers, vo-tech schools, adult ed centers, and high school evening classes. 

If Jill is really interested in a lifestyle blog, she needs to put some effort into it. Recycling recipes from her dull inner circle and the backs of soup cans is not a recipe for success. 

• Love 21
17 minutes ago, Christina87 said:

I love the idea of party foods--beginner, intermediate, advanced. There are really so many angles she could use to present this blog other than "I think I'm an expert...here's my dear sweet friend Patty's dip!"

If she wants to start small, she could do a few simple dips with various snacks, then the next post a baked dip of some kind with homemade bread etc etc and make a series out of it. 

Edited by Scarlett45
  • Love 3

I grew up eating uninspired food except there was always a lot of it.  So for me, it is comfort food.  But, over the years I have learned a thing or two about making an inspired meal.  I am not close to being a gourmet cook but can turn out something pretty and tasty.  And this was in the days before the internet when I had to look at cookbooks or try recipes from magazines and learn about foods.  When i grew up in NJ back in the olden days, I had never heard of an avocado.  Then my mother's cousin had some kind of condition where he had to move to better climate so he moved to california to run an avocado orchard - What?  we were all perplexed. what is this avocado?  Then years later moved to California and got introduced.  Anyway, long story short, (too late for that!) it really wouldn't take much effort for Jilly Muffin to find something a little different - she could google healthy snacks for children and see what appeals.  But, maybe the nasty Mr. Google would bring her to something her tender sensibilities couldn't handle.  I wonder if she even wonders if there is more to life than what she experiences?  Okay, I know the answer.  

• Love 11

This appears at the bottom of the onion dip recipe:

Disclaimer: Recipes on this site are a collection of our favorites. Some are our own recipes and others may have not originated on our site and/or have been adapted from other sites.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Farmfam said:

I think Sam is too big for the contraption. I stopped using them as my kids got close to age 1...but for being dizzy...my kids love it. I guess the nauseous feeling comes with age? 

Sammy was spinning so fast I kept waiting for him to whack his head on the door frame.

• Love 10
7 hours ago, ginger90 said:

This appears at the bottom of the onion dip recipe:

Disclaimer: Recipes on this site are a collection of our favorites. Some are our own recipes and others may have not originated on our site and/or have been adapted from other sites.

They've had that disclaimer ever since they were met with criticism for stealing recipes without giving proper credit.

• Love 7

What is with the caption "so far the Duggars have had 20 combined hours" of Spanish class? There were probably 13 or 14 of the sitting there. That's a little more than 1 hour per kid, right? Or am I misunderstanding something?  

I'd be surprised if Jill herself has as 20 hours of Spanish lessons in her whole life. Much less the whole brood, the way they were trying to make it sound like. 

Which lost boy was the little loudmouth sitting there with Jordyn and wouldn't let her get a word in edgewise?  I just wanted him to shut his yap and let Jordyn talk! 

• Love 8

I'm very impressed with Jill in this picture! I'm amazed that she thought to get a dress in that color, and it appears to actually fit! It's bunched up a little weird, but I think it would be fine had she smoothed it out and adjusted it before taking the picture. The one iota of awareness that this might be appropriate for a military event is blowing my mind! I think it's flattering on her. 

IMG_6382.PNG

• Love 15

I don't want to defend Jill too much, but recipes cannot be copyrighted (but you should probably still give credit. just in case). It was something I learned (at university) in a Publishing class for the "online personal self" where we learned how to run a blog and everything that went into monetizing it as well. One student a few years previously was sued (or attempted at least) and ordered to take down her blog by another woman who believed that the student stole her recipe. Lawyers got involved and came to talk to the class, but it turns out you can't copyright recipes and so the student was okay in the end. But it was something the prof made clear to all future students because of it.

I can't remember the reasons behind why they aren't covered, I think because it's just a list of ingredients or sequence of events. What can be copyrighted is the words that describe it, the instructions, the preamble, and whatnot. From the US Copyright Office (I am Canadian, but I think the copyright laws are pretty much the same in the US and here.): Copyright law does not protect recipes that are mere listings of ingredients. ...Copyright protection may, however, extend to substantial literary expression—a description, explanation, or illustration, for example—that accompanies a recipe or formula or to a combination of recipes, as in a cookbook

So as long as she is saying "I go this recipe from so and so" and it's just a recipe from a back of the box or from another site, she's technically not stealing any copyrighted material.

Edited by HighHopes
  • Love 10
6 hours ago, Christina87 said:

I'm very impressed with Jill in this picture! I'm amazed that she thought to get a dress in that color, and it appears to actually fit! It's bunched up a little weird, but I think it would be fine had she smoothed it out and adjusted it before taking the picture.

I think she mainly needed to stand up straight so the dress could fall naturally.  She seems to be leaning into Derick with her foot popped up doing that toe pose thing.

Edited by Absolom
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Christina87 said:

I'm very impressed with Jill in this picture! I'm amazed that she thought to get a dress in that color, and it appears to actually fit! It's bunched up a little weird, but I think it would be fine had she smoothed it out and adjusted it before taking the picture. The one iota of awareness that this might be appropriate for a military event is blowing my mind! I think it's flattering on her. 

IMG_6382.PNG

Can someone get Derick some black dress shoes FFS? Jill looks almost normal for her age in this one  

However I dislike them making a Veterans Day post that’s mostly about them, two people who never came close to serving. Surely they have a “sweet friend” that’s a veteran that they could feature instead? 

Edited by Trillium
  • Love 21
18 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I am not upset with Jill for writing about recipes she grew up with, but why doesn’t she push herself just a LITTLE bit. For example the dip- why didn’t she come up with a homemade snack to serve with it? 

That's funny. David Venable on QVC just showed a quick way to make crackers for dip.  I think even Jill could handle it.  He rolled out pre-packaged pie dough, brushed it with milk& melted butter & then sprinkled the dough with cinnamon sugar since he had made a sweet dip, cut into squares & bake. How easy is that? Jill could add different seasonings on top depending on the dip she was making.  

• Love 2

The shoes are a bit much, in my opinion. She needs to invest in some black heels that can go with everything. Those are the type of shoes you wear to compete at a beauty pageant. The dress fits her great but her hair is just too messy.

Edited by Lunera
  • Love 16
1 minute ago, lulu69 said:

When I look at those tacky gold platform heels I immediately think 'stripper shoes'.

I swear, what is it with this family and their footwear choices? It's not that hard, really.

The shoes really don't coordinate well with the style of the dress, IMO, and they're ugly, to boot.  The dress itself is nice and a good color for her.  It could be improved with some thoughtful accessorizing like a big bangle or pendant and the hair needs an update in the worst way.  For Jill, though, this may well be a personal best.

• Love 24
2 hours ago, ginger90 said:

8 pictures 

2 hours ago, Temperance said:

I think Jill looks great! And I'm impressed by those tall shoes! 

1 hour ago, madpsych78 said:

I like the dress. Totally agree about the hair. It doesn't look bad, but she should have worn it up.

1 hour ago, Lunera said:

The shoes are a bit much, in my opinion. She needs to invest in some black heels that can go with everything. Those are the type of shoes you wear to compete at a beauty pageant. The dress fits her great but her hair is just too messy.

46 minutes ago, lulu69 said:

When I look at those tacky gold platform heels I immediately think 'stripper shoes'.

I swear, what is it with this family and their footwear choices? It's not that hard, really.

The dress fits her so well! And since it’s a solid, pseudo neutral color, I can understand and support going for a bold sparkly shoe. Her hair could be more stylish, an over the shoulder braid would’ve looked nice. This is an solid B+ for Jill she looks happy. 

• Love 12
4 hours ago, Christina87 said:

IMG_6382.PNG

Never thought I'd be saying this, but Jill looks great. She has a nice figure when she's wearing clothes that flatter.

• Love 16
4 hours ago, Trillium said:

Can someone get Derick some black dress shoes FFS? Jill looks almost normal for her age in this one  

However I dislike them making a Veterans Day post that’s mostly about them, two people who never came close to serving. Surely they have a “sweet friend” that’s a veteran that they could feature instead? 

I agree.  It's at least inappropriate for these two to use Veteran's Day in that way, IMO.

I'm sure it never even occurred to these rubes to feature an actual vet.

• Love 9
16 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

7 pictures 

Those hashtags. ??‍♀️

Wanna bet this is the prep post for “Jesus leading their hearts” in a new direction come December when DeRick’s no longer law schooling. 

• Love 20
25 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

Can someone explain the point of these hashtags?

She doesn't understand how to use hashtags, just like she doesn't understand most things :D The Bateses do this kind of thing too. They all think hashtags are designed as personal commentary or something. #noonecaresjill #keeptrying

• Love 11
7 minutes ago, emma675 said:

How has it been this long and Dreck's jaw is still such a mess? It's like his mouth is to the far right of the rest of his face. I can't explain it. 

It seems like it’s been forever.  I think his oral surgeon was a quack.

• Love 5