Type keyword(s) to search

Josh & Anna Smuggar: A Series of Unfortunate Events

• Start Topic

I actually think he is doing something about it. I'm betting he's taking classes online and they just don't talk about it because that would imply there were holes in his education to begin with. But I don't think it's coincidence that he's taken to wearing collegiate wear recently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jytyJQ8LZcU

Filmed Saturday. Josh, gluttony is not a secret sin. Also, I'd like to know what's the one country that redefined marriage? Lots of countries ahve perfectly legal gay marriages - I guess God doesn't care unless it's in the US?

Poor Smuggar. It IS being taken to the states, and the courts are finding the discrimination to be illegal. I guess he conveniently forgets that part. 

• Love 2

I actually think he is doing something about it. I'm betting he's taking classes online and they just don't talk about it because that would imply there were holes in his education to begin with. But I don't think it's coincidence that he's taken to wearing collegiate wear recently.

I really hope so. It would be nice for a Duggar to finally get a real education.

• Love 1

Well, by the look of him, if Josh is taking online classes, it's taking every last ounce of energy he has. He looks exactly like I'd expect someone to look if he was getting half as much sleep as he needed. And at this point, if I were him, I'd most definitely be questioning the so-called education I'd received at the hands of my short-sighted, know-it-all parents. 

• Love 4

I think he's working full time, has a family, and taking classes. My father did it. I recognize the exhaustion. (Only my father came out of it with a genuine degree. Not sure if Josh will or not. Would be nice for him if he could, but as was pointed out, he has so much ground to cover just to get to the starting gate.)

• Love 4

I think he's working full time, has a family, and taking classes. My father did it. I recognize the exhaustion. (Only my father came out of it with a genuine degree. Not sure if Josh will or not. Would be nice for him if he could, but as was pointed out, he has so much ground to cover just to get to the starting gate.)

My point exactly. What Josh is doing is done by lots of people every year, with and without families. It is not a unique accomplishment. But he seems to be killing himself at it, in large part because he's starting at such a disadvantage. His "homeschooling" - by a basically overwhelmed [maybe just lazy] mother who never really valued education or thought it would matter in the lives of her children, was a joke. And he might even be killing himself just to earn a marginal number of credits - no degree in sight - at East Bumble Bleep College.

• Love 1

Josh is not the first person who may struggle to further his or her education or job skills because of poor schooling and/or reading, writing and math skills. My great-great grandfather could barely read and write, but he could speak French and five Native American dialects (he was hired by the government because he could help with communication with tribes,) was an undertaker for a mining camp, built the original post office for a small town in eastern Montana, and raised, fed, and took care of a big family with the sweat of his brows and a strong work ethic.

Sadly, Josh may be learning the hard way about being a Duggar outside Duggar Land. He is a small fish in a big, big pond. Spreading your family's value and beliefs can only take a person so far in the real world.

I don't know if his work said it or not, but they might be helping pay for it. A lot of employers offer that as a perk.

But if he wants to advance, and I think he does, he needs letters after his name. DC is the most letter conscious city in America. And GED aren't the letters it's looking for.

Edited by GEML
  • Love 7

I don't know if his work said it or not, but they might be helping pay for it. A lot of employers offer that as a perk.

But if he wants to advance, and I think he does, he needs letters after his name. DC is the most letter conscious city in America. And GED aren't the letters it's looking for.

I assume DC is similar to San Francisco/Bay Area in that many people have multiple higher degrees and letters after their names. I do, and I applied for a job several years ago at the state office of Unemployment, and when I interviewed, they said they had gotten hundreds of applications from very educated people, some with Ph.D's. So much heavy competition. I did not get the job. It can be brutal in some cities. Edited by DangerousMinds
  • Love 3

I don't think Josh will have to do as much remedial work as people think.

I used to work with a woman who was getting her degree at night. At first I was shocked that she was getting college credit for what were basically remedial science and math classes, as well as a class on Microsoft Word. In the end, though, I had to give her credit: she worked full-time and raised a family while going to school and trying to better herself. Going to college is as much learning how to learn, and how to ask questions, and how to differentiate fact from conjecture as as it is about what you actually learn.

Even if Josh just gets and AA from an on-line Christian college, it will open his mind to a lot of things that he has never considered, and it might well entice him to keep going. I don't think Josh is any sort of intellectual, but any bit of fresh air in that family would help.

• Love 3

Switching gears a bit, I am watching a rerun of the Wedding Prep episode that led up to Benessa's wedding. In a TH segment, Mack clearly said that "We are going to visit our AUNTS AND UNCLES!" (emphasis hers) Michael chimed in when she got to the "aunts" part. 

So yes, they know the difference. I doubt the same could be said of the Duggar "littles."

Eh, jobs like his are a dime a dozen in DC. I'm sure his cubicle is very nice with pictures of his kids.

Anna posted a picture of his office once and it's actually pretty nice. Definitely a space befitting of someone with an 'executive director' title, merits aside.

Liberty University offers a number of online majors. He could get both his undergrad and his MBA from them, plus a Liberty degree holds a lot of weight in his circles. If I was him, I'd definitely look into it. If he's doing what he really wants to do, then a Political Science degree with an MBA would be invaluable. Even if his employer turns my stomach.

I wish Anna would take some online classes to become more knowledgeable about more advanced subjects, if she is going to continue to homeschool. I think she's a fine teacher for toddlers, but needs help with any higher-grade level material.

• Love 5

Ugh, I remember when she retweeted a pic from them that used #BlackLivesMatter to condemn - what else? - abortion. Like I'm supposed believe that she really gives a shit about the lives of black people. 

I think that Josh and Anna and perhaps the entire Duggar clan are prime examples of the Dunning-Kruger effect in action. 

Thank you so much. I googled and now I have a name for something that I've always suspected in a few people I know. 

• Love 5

I don't think Josh will have to do as much remedial work as people think.

I used to work with a woman who was getting her degree at night. At first I was shocked that she was getting college credit for what were basically remedial science and math classes, as well as a class on Microsoft Word. In the end, though, I had to give her credit: she worked full-time and raised a family while going to school and trying to better herself. Going to college is as much learning how to learn, and how to ask questions, and how to differentiate fact from conjecture as as it is about what you actually learn.

Even if Josh just gets and AA from an on-line Christian college, it will open his mind to a lot of things that he has never considered, and it might well entice him to keep going. I don't think Josh is any sort of intellectual, but any bit of fresh air in that family would help.

I did a Josh. I went back to school. I started back to school at 43. I started at community college and, I am 7 credits from my associates degree. I had to take 2 remedial maths. I hadn't seen algebra since 1986 The school did give me credits for the remedial maths (3 each)...but.. they did not count towards my Associates at all. In fact, I will have taken 4 maths in total. 2 remedial and 2 college level. In fact, I should be studying right now as my final is tomorrow. I need an A to get an A in this class, and if I do then I will have a 3.9 GPA.  I have been offered scholarships at multiple private schools and they will not count those remedial classes either. 

And even with the online classes he should be having his mind expanded. I take a mix of online and  on campus classes, and even the online ones are  discussion heavy.    I see highly religious kids in these classes that have had little or no exposure to the outside world. Some of them get their eyes opened a bit. Some stay safe in their little boxes and deny anything that doesn't meet their world view. I hope school opens Josh's eyes .

Edited by JennyMominFL
  • Love 8

I wish Anna would take some online classes to become more knowledgeable about more advanced subjects, if she is going to continue to homeschool. I think she's a fine teacher for toddlers, but needs help with any higher-grade level material.

Anna doesn't need school. Having kids is her schooling

If Josh really wants to better himself and obtain a degree he can do it. It is done every day by millions of people. My dad was married, had a family and worked full-time. He finished classes for his BA and then got his MBA. It took him quite a few years because he took classes at night, but he did it. Josh's problem is his lack of education. He would be starting from the bottom and would more than likely need numerous remedial classes before he could even begin taking the core classes. When I went to college, I worked full-time for my first two years. I took a leave and worked FT for three years and saved every cent I made. I then went back and finished the last two years but did not work. 

Washington DC is a cut throat town(I did an intership there) with people who have law degrees and/or graduated from an ivy league or a top tier college. There are more highly educated people than there are jobs. That being said, I don't think too many would work for that crazy ass place he does.

I think both he and Anna are not stupid, they just lack the education needed to succeed. If he does not want his kids to wind up like him, then he needs to consider putting them in some kind of christian school.

It is never too late to get an education.

• Love 1

My dad never got beyond a third grade education. He worked in the fields to help support his family (6 sisters, plus three brothers - who also worked - and his dad - who also worked the fields).  He had four kids and a wife to support on his blue collar salary.  He decided to get his GED when I was in 7th grade.  We were all so proud of him when he passed his tests.  He did continue on with a few college courses (mostly math) but with work, overtime, side jobs, and his desire to spend time with his family; he decided to discontinue his "college career".

So if Josh is interested and seems to have the same level of education as my father, he could do it.

• Love 4

I know a lot of executive directors who aren't in offices. DC is a world where titles are passed out like candy. There was once a CHEERS episode where Rebecca couldn't give people at the bar raises, so she gave them fancy titled. DC is sort of like that. The joke in DC is that if you have to ask "Don't you know who I am?"

You're a nobody. Because chances are you have a title that would make you sound like a somebody anywhere else.

When my husband took a much more powerful and more lucrative position not long ago, the one thing he lost was his title.

And Josh's problem is two fold. He needs an education. He needs graduate level education. (A PhD often gets you thrown out -being an academic in DC is often not a plus) and from GOOD schools. That doesn't necessarily mean Ivy League in his world. Liberty would be fine. But he needs a DEGREE.

• Love 3

There was a viral video around not long ago of a guy's honest reaction to the news that his girlfriend (or wife, not sure which) was pregnant. I think Josh's reaction was pretty much that. If there was a thought bubble above his head, it was "FML". He sure did not seem thrilled with the news. Never mind the fact that Anna woke him up with cameras to give him the news. I'd be super pissed if I was him!

• Love 2

Eh, jobs like his are a dime a dozen in DC. I'm sure his cubicle is very nice with pictures of his kids.

I so agree. Not impressed at all when I heard that was what Josh was moving to Washington to do. It seems like every other working person in the city is connected in some way with a lobbying organization. 

• Love 1

Well, by the look of him, if Josh is taking online classes, it's taking every last ounce of energy he has. 

I can't get over that he's only 25/26. He looks like he's pushing 40.

• Love 7

I did a Josh. I went back to school. I started back to school at 43. I started at community college and, I am 7 credits from my associates degree. I had to take 2 remedial maths. I hadn't seen algebra since 1986 The school did give me credits for the remedial maths (3 each)...but.. they did not count towards my Associates at all. In fact, I will have taken 4 maths in total. 2 remedial and 2 college level. In fact, I should be studying right now as my final is tomorrow. I need an A to get an A in this class, and if I do then I will have a 3.9 GPA.  I have been offered scholarships at multiple private schools and they will not count those remedial classes either. 

And even with the online classes he should be having his mind expanded. I take a mix of online and  on campus classes, and even the online ones are  discussion heavy.    I see highly religious kids in these classes that have had little or no exposure to the outside world. Some of them get their eyes opened a bit. Some stay safe in their little boxes and deny anything that doesn't meet their world view. I hope school opens Josh's eyes .

I sincerely hope this will happen for Josh. But at the same time I sincerely doubt it will. I wish I could be positive about it, but I just don't think he's up for the immense amount of work involved. And I also think he's going to have to deal with parents who talk it down at every opportunity. Maybe very openly, maybe more subtly - but I think it will happen. Boob especially - he can't have any of his sons getting ahead of him in any way.

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 1

I thought that she seemed somewhat manic in the last episode when she found out that she was pregnant. It seemed as though she must have been getting panicky when so much time was going by between Marcus and the next pregnancy.

Definitely she's been preoccupied with getting pregnant. It appears she bought a couple of pregnancy tests only to learn she wasn't pregnant. Josh never seemed too upset during these times. She wants more kids, but really, can they afford more, especially if the majority of TLC money went to Jim Bob?

Josh Duggar is a sanctimonious, uneducated bloated bag of cult poison. Lobbyists and special interest groups like Josh Duggar and the FRC action group govern America according to their own agendas, not the agenda of the people. They buy up support from elected officials who have the power to push their agendas through. I think that lobbyists should all be banned from being anywhere near the Capital or having any access to Congress and no Congressman or Senator should have any involvement with any lobbyist or special interest group. It's counterproductive to business in the USA and it strikes right at the heart of our economy.

• Love 15

I think Josh will go into politics, not get an education. *barbie voice* Math is hard! Learning is hard! What if he learned something that made him question the cult. Nah, not happening.

What's going on in the district where they bought that house? I'm sure after the FRC runs its course he'll run for something, just like daddy, and JD did.

• Love 3
I did a Josh. I went back to school. I started back to school at 43. I started at community college and, I am 7 credits from my associates degree.

Awesome! I have so much respect for "non-traditional" older students, I feel like getting a higher education is so much harder to pull off when you're older with a more established life and bills to pay. 

I'm not sure if Josh has the work ethic/discipline to pull it off, honestly. In the earlier documentaries his parents talked about how he wasn't a quitter. But I think at this point, he's become used to having things handed to him and not having to really fight for anything. He's also probably not used to critical thinking. 

• Love 1

Josh works for one of the few lobbying groups in DC that would even give him the time of day. And he only got the job because of his name. If FRC hadn't been willing to take him on and pay him for being a prop at anti-gay marriage rallies, he'd be sitting at that pitiful car lot wondering where his next meal was coming from. He might have a future as a politician running at the state level in some backwater heavily Republican district where the voters would view his lack of an education as a badge of honor. But once elected he wouldn't know the first thing about getting anything done. His career would probably be extremely short lived. In his mid 20's, with no education, 3 kids and one more on the way, and back taxes owed, he'd better hope and pray that he stays in FRC's good graces. Otherwise, things could fall apart quickly and he might find himself fighting with Ben over which toilet to clean next.

• Love 9

Isn't Kirk Cameron connected to some school? Do I have that right? Does anyone know which school?

Edited to add that just as I posted this, I saw a link to a piece called "Nightmares Behind the Scenes of 9 Top TV Hits" with a picture of the Growing Pains cast - A young Kirk Cameron front and center.

Edited by Emme
  • Love 1

Definitely she's been preoccupied with getting pregnant. It appears she bought a couple of pregnancy tests only to learn she wasn't pregnant. Josh never seemed too upset during these times. She wants more kids, but really, can they afford more, especially if the majority of TLC money went to Jim Bob?

Anna grew up living in a trailer and shared a bedroom with her 3 sisters, and her parents continue to live in a pretty humble way (I think in the same trailer). I think Anna is a pretty practical person and although she has grown accustomed to having more she strikes me as someone who doesn't define her happiness by it. She definitely would prefer a larger family living with less than a smaller family living with more. Also, I think she expects that Josh's present and future is in politics and doesn't expect TLC to be a long-term source of income.

I think Josh will go into politics, not get an education. *barbie voice* Math is hard! Learning is hard! What if he learned something that made him question the cult. Nah, not happening.

What's going on in the district where they bought that house? I'm sure after the FRC runs its course he'll run for something, just like daddy, and JD did.

Um, no.  They live in Prince George's County, right?  Josh and his clan aren't exactly typical of the demographic.  And if they are in Montgomery County, the demographics aren't much more favorable.  His best shot at politics is back in Arkansas (ha!) and only if he can successfully shed his Washington Insider status.

• Love 1

Isn't Kirk Cameron connected to some school? Do I have that right? Does anyone know which school?

Edited to add that just as I posted this, I saw a link to a piece called "Nightmares Behind the Scenes of 9 Top TV Hits" with a picture of the Growing Pains cast - A young Kirk Cameron front and center.

Kirk Cameron is also a 'born again' Fundamentalist right-wing religious extremists. He and his wife were at Ben and Jessa's wedding.

kirk-cameron-600.jpg

*edited for 'born again'

Edited by HumblePi

Don't forget that Smuganna bought that fixer-upper somewhere in AR. I can't remember the name of the town, but it wasn't familiar to me. No clue how far it is from The Compound, but I'm sure it's fairly close. So, he has a built-in base to run for office in a climate that's much more favorable for his particular brand of politics. 

Edited by Sew Sumi

I do think he will make a run. But that's a lot harder to do than you might think. Politics in small, corrupt states like Arkansas isn't easy to break into. (just ask Jim Bob). And there is usually a line of people who have cultivated the right people and played the game. When pretty much your entire state belongs to an entire political party, you have to fight with your own party to win - the victory comes from winning the primary, not the general election. And that usually means if you get the big wigs behind you, you get the win. Not always, but usually.

Jim Bob burned a LOT of political bridged behind him in AR, and Josh is working hard to rebuild them. He has to, if he even wants a prayer of running. The Duggars name may be a famous one in Arkansas, but it's not berms successful one politically.

Josh has 2 problems right now.

1.   He is so used to travel around with his family that he is a bit lost without 18 other people around him all the time.   it's a bit like the case of multiple birth kids doing things alone.   They need to do so, but it is hard because they are used to be part of a group.   It's disorienting to them to be a single.   Josh is used to be one of a herd.   Being in this herd has protected him from a lot (talk about herd immunity).   By only being with his family he never had to learn how to interact with others, deal with others, or be exposed to others who might think differently than almight Jim Boob.  

Which brings me to his 2nd problem.

2.  Josh is having a crisis of faith.   All his life he has been told by his parents that doing anything even a little bit different from how they want it done is not just wrong, it's SINFUL.   He will burn in hell if he looks at a woman in a tank top.   Getting an education and questioning things instead of accepting the gospel of mom and dad is SINFUL.   Now he is in DC, which is a pretty liberal city seeing woman who are wearing a lot less than tank top and there are no gang rapes on every corner.   He is working with men -- an women -- who have AT LEAST a BA and they are not being struck by ligtening by God for daring to have a sheepskin.   These are people who think critically (you might not agree with their thinking but they do think) and no one is gasping in shock.   These are people who are not living with their parents and doing every little thing their parents tell them -- and the world hasn't ended.   

Josh has to work his way through these 2 things before he can even begin to figure out what he really wants.   Dealing with this, especially the 2nd one, has got to messing with his mind.  Having another kid thrown into this trying time can only be adding to that stress.

I don't like his politics, but I can feel for what he is going through.   Finding out what you always believed may not be right is never easy.

• Love 11

You go, Girl!!! I went back to school last year (at age....48).  I had 7 classes left for my BBA.  It was difficult...but I did it and finished!  You can do it!!

• Love 1

GEML what did JB do wrong?  You say he burned a lot of bridges, and I know he only served one term, but other than being lazy and bringing his kids along all the time, how did he alienate his voters and fellow politicians?

• Love 2