Type keyword(s) to search

Josh & Anna Smuggar: A Series of Unfortunate Events

• Start Topic

(edited)

ETA: I wrote "these asshats" because the actual name FRC had slipped my mind. I was trying to explain who I meant to my daughter, thinking she might know, and she said, "Oh, I know who you mean. It's, like, Christians Against Humanity or something." :-)

AND moving to Duggars in the Media thread, for lack of any better place.

Edited by JenCarroll

Two mentions of the Smugger family I saw this week:

The first Josh got the jackhole of the day on Andy Cohen's show watch what happens live, for obvious reasons.

The second, on Blackish, wasn't exactly about Anna, but made me crack up. Their teenage daughter was acting out and the parents needed to get control of her or else she might have a "toilet baby". They repeated the toilet baby in the future and even feared they would end up as "toilet grandparents". Poor Anna.

• Love 7

Two mentions of the Smugger family I saw this week:

The first Josh got the jackhole of the day on Andy Cohen's show watch what happens live, for obvious reasons.

The second, on Blackish, wasn't exactly about Anna, but made me crack up. Their teenage daughter was acting out and the parents needed to get control of her or else she might have a "toilet baby". They repeated the toilet baby in the future and even feared they would end up as "toilet grandparents". Poor Anna.

I didn't think they meant an Anna type birth. I thought they meant several cases where teenage girls had babies and left them in the toilet to die . I think there was a famous case involving a toilet and the prom

• Love 2

I didn't think they meant an Anna type birth. I thought they meant several cases where teenage girls had babies and left them in the toilet to die . I think there was a famous case involving a toilet and the prom

I know they didn't mean Anna. But her toilet birth is so ingrained in my mind that if I hear toilet birth, I think of Anna first, not kids at the prom.

• Love 3

I watched the China trip a few days ago.  Did anyone notice that Anna went into the store and bought three pregnancy tests?  Why do you need three?  Do they just test daily?  If they gave all the money they spend on pregnancy tests to those orphanages they visit, the children would have shoes and backpacks for years. 

• Love 5

I watched the China trip a few days ago.  Did anyone notice that Anna went into the store and bought three pregnancy tests?  Why do you need three?  Do they just test daily?  If they gave all the money they spend on pregnancy tests to those orphanages they visit, the children would have shoes and backpacks for years. 

The stranger question is "Who takes pregnancy tests with them on trips?"

• Love 5

The stranger question is "Who takes pregnancy tests with them on trips?"

No!  Even crazier!  She went to a store in China and bought them!  She had to figure out the language and such.  I guess she can just spot a pee stick from a mile away.

• Love 2
(edited)

I just had a thought. Thank goodness pregnancy testing does not require killing rabbits anymore considering this crew.

Oh yea! Peta would be protesting on their front lawns daily. (Actually, they should be anyway.)

ETA:  And not to mention that bunnies would be extinct.

Edited by truthtalk2014
  • Love 2

If I saw that shirt on any other PG woman in the world, I wouldn't think twice. But it really surprises me on Anna. You'd think that she would avoid anything like that. You'd just expect her to be wearing the old tent style dresses we wore in the 80's. Michelle could even loan her some! Or not - it seems to me that 'Chelle wears maternity type clothing even now. Wishful thinking, girlfriend.

Sumi, did you know that white Seinfeld shirt is on display at the smithsonian in DC? It's an American icon, that shirt!

• Love 4

When I hear "Orthodox Christian" I think of the Greek or Eastern Orthodox Churches.

Yes. I'm orthodox, it's called Greek, Russian, etc. Orthodox. They are not political, which is a big reason why I converted.

• Love 1

The word "traditional" doesn't poll well with millennials, and makes them think of old fashioned things, so in church circles, that's out and orthodox is in. Twenty five years ago it was Reformed, which was also kind of amusing since that too, is also a denomination. There was already a Dutch Reformed, Reformed Presbyterians, etc., before THAT movement went through and everyone thought it would be trendy to do it all over again.

Really, everything in religion has already been done. As Ecclesiastes says, "There is nothing new under the sun."

• Love 2

I really thought Anna looked beautifu in that picture! I always thought Kynzie looked more like Josh, but I can see she does have quite a bit of Anna in her.

I'm still pondering what they're going to nam M4. I really do think they'll go with Madisyn.

I'm still pondering what they're going to nam M4. I really do think they'll go with Madisyn.

Take this unsourced Wikipedia information for what it is (ie: pure speculation), but there was a rumor was that Anna told the Duggar family they "hope to honor Josh's mother, Michelle, by naming her Michelle Leigh Duggar". That unsourced info has since been removed, but you can see evidence of it by comparing Wiki versions here.

But it'll probably be something more like Myshelle or something.

(I don't think any of that is legit, for the record, but since we're speculating...)

When you take kids to the grocery store, and they are running off... Don't you make them keep one hand on the cart? Or since you have two people, just grab another cart and make the other little boy sit inside one.... It seems if you have three kids you'd have a strategy. Also give kids something to do so they don't run aimlessly. If you two behave you will get a treat when we leave:) Not sugar while we are still shopping.. Holy cow!

My biggest pet peeve is when both parents are at the grocery store with all the kids.  SOMEONE STAY HOME WITH THE KIDS.  Sheeeesh.

• Love 6

My biggest pet peeve is when both parents are at the grocery store with all the kids. SOMEONE STAY HOME WITH THE KIDS. Sheeeesh.

Ha! My husband and I each jockey to be the one that goes shopping!

Anna looks gorgeous. She had to step up her pregnancy game to compete with the younger generation.

I actually like the name, but because I like the nickname Shelly.

Who is the girl in the red dress in the middle of that photo?  It was freaking me out how it looks like she's working on her "pregnant pose" already.

• Love 1
(edited)

Pretty sure she belongs to the family of the politician they're posing with.

Thanks - makes sense. And just in case by some odd fluke she or her family sees my post I wanted to make it clear I was not saying she looked pregnant or heavy or anything like that. It was just the pose, especially hands under the belly, that reminded me of some of Jill and Jessa's  pregnancy poses. She's a very pretty girl, just too young for baby-belly quite yet!

Edited by NikSac
  • Love 3

The word "traditional" doesn't poll well with millennials, and makes them think of old fashioned things, so in church circles, that's out and orthodox is in. Twenty five years ago it was Reformed, which was also kind of amusing since that too, is also a denomination. There was already a Dutch Reformed, Reformed Presbyterians, etc., before THAT movement went through and everyone thought it would be trendy to do it all over again.

Really, everything in religion has already been done. As Ecclesiastes says, "There is nothing new under the sun."

It doesn't seem right to just start calling yourself Orthodox. Next thing, they'll start calling themselves Methodists and we'll all be confused. 

• Love 5
(edited)
It doesn't seem right to just start calling yourself Orthodox. Next thing, they'll start calling themselves Methodists and we'll all be confused.

I don't know why they don't just keep calling themselves "Bible-believing" Christians. Wasn't/isn't that a popular phrase? I'd venture a guess that they've finally managed to realize that it serves as a dogwhistle to others in the same way that "traditional marriage" and "family values" do, but they still use the latter two phrases, so that's probably not it. Then again, they veered away from "patriarchy" in favor of "complementarianism" because the former had too much baggage.

Edited by galax-arena
  • Love 2

"Bible believing" still comes up from time to time, but the bloom is off that rose, again with Millennials. Everyone has figured out there are parts of the Bible that are believed and parts conveniently skipped over.

Traditional marriage and family values are also great, except when you realize that half of your congregation is divorced and the mainstream church down the street may only have half the membership that you do, but its members stay married and have their children when they are married. They are also college educated and more affluent than your members, and don't believe in a lot of things you do, but when just over 10% of those marriages end in divorce vs 50%, well, just who believes in traditional marriage and family values again? It gets confusing....

• Love 7

From the previews for next week it looks like Josh and Anna had a little vacation without the kids.  I find that to be kind of sweet and shockingly normal. A lot of what they say annoys me to no end, but I get the impression that they really love each other, and are good with their kids.  Now they just have to realize that 4 may be enough for now.

• Love 1

Don't forget the Smuggars included in their wedding vows that they would trust God with the size of their family. I don't think that's going to change. They won't hit 19, which is almost impossible, but I bet they'll end up with 10 to 12. Anna's labors in the special on Monday seemed pretty terrible, though. If I were her, especially going back and watching that footage, I think I'd be praying God wouldn't "bless" me again too soon, but she always talks about baby fever so apparently she's not scared about going through all of it again another 8 times, potentially.

• Love 1
(edited)

Sadly Josh can become a lawyer, ya'll made me use my brain early this morning and I remembered the spawn of Phyllis Schlafly. You know the one who is some sort of lawyer, started the alternative to Wikipedia ("Conservapedia" it's a riot) and is rewriting the Bible because it's like all too liberal. True fact (that he's re-writing the Bible not that it's too liberal. Ok to the Duggars and their ilk it's too liberal.)

Edited by Chicklet
  • Love 1
(edited)

Is it just me, or does Anna seem on the express lane towards her very own "laundry room moment"?

Big time. She has help coming out to D.C. at a regular clip and she still looks like she's about to lose it. I think a lot of it is her own fault though. If she put Mack in regular kindergarten and enrolled Michael in pre-school for a couple mornings each week she could get a break. Yes, the kids would have to socialize with the heathen masses but she could avoid a laundry room meltdown.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 9
She has help coming out to D.C. at a regular clip and she still looks like she's about to lose it.

I'm not sure how I feel about Anna right now; yes, she's busy with all those kids, but she doesn't seem to be a bad mom and really seems to be doing OK, unless there are things we're not seeing (which there are, of course). Her tendency to post insanity on Instagram gets on my nerves, but I've always thought she'd had potential to be a little more normal than her in-laws. I keep going back to the fact that two of her sisters have strayed from the Gothard fold, and one has gone pretty far afield, and the Kellers don't seem to have shunned them; I see a little more compassion and flexibility coming from that family, which can only be advantageous (IMO) in Anna's parenting.

I'm not sure if I like her or if I want badly to like her. I do know I'd like her to stop having kids. 

• Love 3

I think Anna is feeling insecure since Jill and Jessa got married. For the last few years, she's been the only baby maker in the Duggar family. I think this role made Anna feel important. Now that Jill and Jessa are married and producing babies, I think that Anna is afraid that her importance to the family has diminished. Consequently, she seems to be acting kind of crazy.

Well said, auntl. For nearly five years she was the sole Duggar popping out babies. Now she's getting competition from Jill and Jessa, who are receiving much more attention because they're Duggar daughters, not in-laws. I think she's a good mother but definitely feeling a little pushed aside.

• Love 3

See, I don't get the feeling that Anna is competing with the Duggar girls at all. I DO think she competes with her own sisters, and I think she feels pretty good about her life. She had probably the best marriage of the lot, in that she genuinely loves her husband and he loves her. He has a real position that is respected in their community. She is well positioned to have a large family, and she's a reality TV personality. I think she's pretty happy.

The difference between Anna and Michelle, ultimately, is that Anna didn't need to "pray for a heart for children." She's a born nurturer, like Jill is. That doesn't mean she can't or won't get overwhelmed. And I think Josh IS overwhelmed, and the fact that she isn't seeing that is troubling. But the laundry room for Anna will likely be different because her crisis probably won't be her children, but her marriage.

• Love 9

I think Anna just has a bad case of baby fever that just won't go away.  I don't think she does this for grandparent dug gar approval.  They would not know the difference if she send pictures of other people's kids to them.  They didn't seem to have a relationship with the kids.  But I think Anna just really got used to the reality tv thing, making up episodes or scenes, and getting the exposure.  Then BAM it's all about Jill and Jessa.  She was lucky to get her picture taken at their weddings.

• Love 1

A propos of nothing, Anna's hair is making me sad. She's trying so hard for the long luxurious waves that all the Gothard girls want (apparently to please their sicko guru), but she will never have it. It looks ridiculous when she curls it -- flat on top, artificial curls on the ends -- and dull as dishwater when she doesn't curl it. She just has the wrong type of hair for that look, and her endless striving for it is just SAD. It doesn't look good on its own, and it looks even worse next to any of the Duggar daughters or her own sister Priscilla. Anna has very straight hair with not a lot of body. She should get a layered bob, use a bit of volumizing mousse, and blow dry it upside down. Then it would have a little volume and frame her face and it would be right for her, specifically.

I don't know why this is bothering me but I was watching some of her TH clips and I just thought, "Stop trying to make your hair look like someone else's hair. Just be Anna."

• Love 6

I think Anna is overwhelmed, but not nearly as much as Josh. She looks like she'd be more than happy to pop out 20 more babies, regardless of the strain. I will say she seems to enjoy her children quite a bit, so I am not seeing any shades of Michelle in her.

• Love 1

Smuggar is on the board of this rinky-dink bible college. Other notable board members include Pat Boone (thought he was dead!) and revisionist historian (who used to buddy up with Doug Phillips of Vison Forum) Dave Barton. Dug around a bit: there are about 6 majors (no liberal arts or science), and only two actual BS degree programs. No regional accreditation. It's a podunk diploma mill. 

https://ecollege.edu/regents/

Josh has been pictured wearing tee shirts from this college and was called out for it at the time. Now, we have a possible explanation. 

Smuggar is on the board of this rinky-dink bible college. Other notable board members include Pat Boone (thought he was dead!) and revisionist historian (who used to buddy up with Doug Phillips of Vison Forum) Dave Barton. Dug around a bit: there are about 6 majors (no liberal arts or science), and only two actual BS degree programs. No regional accreditation. It's a podunk diploma mill.

https://ecollege.edu/regents/

Josh has been pictured wearing tee shirts from this college and was called out for it at the time. Now, we have a possible explanation.

Wow.  It's hard to believe that Smuggs is on any board of any institute of higher learning--accredited or not.

• Love 5