Type keyword(s) to search

Josh & Anna Smuggar: A Series of Unfortunate Events

• Start Topic

You let the police come to you. You don't go to them. That's how headlines like this one get written.

I don't want to drag this out, but I disagree again. That's not necessarily common wisdom, certainly not to me (I don't typically have run-ins with the law so I don't have much sense of the strategies…) and probably not for a former state senator in small-town Arkansas. At the time, it may have seemed like a better move, and as others have noted, they may not have been thinking in terms of TLC and People Magazine at that point. JB may have wanted to nip it in the bud for any number of reasons, and we don't have enough information to be sure in any case. 

• Love 2

I'm not going on TV Duggars, I'm going on politics Duggars. The only thing that we KNOW is that there was a monumental break with the Republican political establishment and Jim Bob that continues to this day. This establishment crushed him when he tried to run for the Senate and there is SOME kind of story there, but I've never been able to figure it out, and it's not my state and its not my party, so I don't have any insider access.

The only rumor that ever circulated was the Josh and Holt daughter rumor, which might have a germ of truth to it despite all the nonsense about it with the internet stuff.

HOWEVER, as I've mentioned repeatedly, there seems to be no animosity shown to Josh by the Arkansas political establishment. If there was, there is no way he would have been hired by the FRC. Huckabee is too powerful. One call would have ended that. He was hired DESPITE his father, which I've always found rather interesting.

So if the reason the political establishment black balked Jim Bob had anything to do with Josh, no one there blames Josh. Except maybe Jim Bob. But again, those have only been internet rumors that it had anything to do with Josh at all.

But if Jim Bob were foolish enough to publicly denounce his son, even if he had been accused of something (first rule of politics, deny deny deny) that might have done it. And to your own child. Google Huckabee's son for comparison. You don't admit, preemptively, to ANYTHING. That shows you to be a rank amateur.

And what if THAT caused the break? Josh was caught sneaking into a girl's room, the father threatened to press charges, JB thought he was smarter than everyone else in the room and could handle it and give Josh a good scare. There's a (possibly not even serious) report written up, girl admits she gave as good as she got, no charges brought, Jim Bob is known as the idiot who turned in his own kid, Josh is shown to be normal kid from freak family, and political establishment cuts JB off.

There you go.

• Love 12
I don't want to drag this out, but I disagree again. That's not necessarily common wisdom, certainly not to me (I don't typically have run-ins with the law so I don't have much sense of the strategies…) and probably not for a former state senator in small-town Arkansas. At the time, it may have seemed like a better move, and as others have noted, they may not have been thinking in terms of TLC and People Magazine at that point. JB may have wanted to nip it in the bud for any number of reasons, and we don't have enough information to be sure in any case.

I agree, and I wonder if turning in the child is different if the child in question is another brother or sister.  I don't know.  I hate to speculate about such things, but these things have been going on since the beginning of time, and unfortunately the Duggars live their lives in the public eye so people will wonder and speculate. 

• Love 3
The article said that Jim Bob turned Josh in to the state police. I wonder why he chose the state police over the local police

Maybe their location has them outside of the city limits, and therefore out of the jurisdiction for city police, and so they are served by the state police?

The part that is most confusing to me (not saying any of this is true about Josh) is Boob finding him coming out of a girls bedroom.  If it was true, it makes me wonder where this bedroom would be.  I don't see the Duggars socializing at others homes where any of the kids would be permitted in a persons bedroom of the opposite sex.  Was it in the old house or the TTH or another house?  Inquiring minds want to know.

Unless the girl complained of being assaulted against her will, it could honestly be two teenagers doing what many teenagers do.  If that is the case, that sucks for both of them.  However, if Josh did something out of line to any girl or family member, he should come out and address the issue and proclaim his innocence or admit his guilt.  They are so outspoken on everything else.  I think this one topic deserves their attention.

And don't say you didn't inhale.  

• Love 9

The part that is most confusing to me (not saying any of this is true about Josh) is Boob finding him coming out of a girls bedroom.  If it was true, it makes me wonder where this bedroom would be.  I don't see the Duggars socializing at others homes where any of the kids would be permitted in a persons bedroom of the opposite sex.  Was it in the old house or the TTH or another house?  Inquiring minds want to know.

Unless the girl complained of being assaulted against her will, it could honestly be two teenagers doing what many teenagers do.  If that is the case, that sucks for both of them.  However, if Josh did something out of line to any girl or family member, he should come out and address the issue and proclaim his innocence or admit his guilt.  They are so outspoken on everything else.  I think this one topic deserves their attention.

And don't say you didn't inhale.  

Perhaps it happened at an ATI Homeschool event where everyone camps out and it was a tent.

• Love 1

I agree that Josh's job is probably on the line in light of the story.  I am a viewer who has always liked all of the Duggar kids, even Josh, though I feel differently about the parents.    Despite all his faults, I think it's so unfair to derail this man's life and career, due to some allegation from when he was 17 years old.  Plus, he was never charged with anything.  I really don't like that.  I wouldn't want it to happen to my brother or husband.  Once that allegation gets out there, it's almost impossible to erase.  

Agreed, especially if whatever happened (if something did) was consensual between two kids who were close in age.

I can't imagine that a parent in today's world would be so foolish as to turn a child in as a pre-emptive strike. As someone who lived in a world surrounded by attorneys, married to attorney, and living in one of the most litigious counties in the U.S., I have a hard time believing ANY parent who is remotely savvy would turn a child in unless charges were brought.

Yes, I know people think JB is stupid, but I think he had hired some smart people. He would have been a total fool to hand his son over.

Perhaps he did, and was, and this is why savvier people such as the Holts and Huckabees realized he couldn't be trusted with politics, I don't know. But if he did, that was a world class dumb move. First rule when police show up at your door : do you have a warrant?

Agreed on this post too. I recently learned this due to some stupid stuff that came up with my husband. His work hours have been weird so he's been taking the dog for walks pretty late at night (or early in the morning, to some) and I couldn't believe how much the cops keep on record, even if you're not charged with anything. They stopped to talk to him one time for <gasp> walking the dog, and had a whole list of dates and times he had been seen walking the dog at odd hours. After seeing that, unless I'm in imminent danger there's no way in hell I'm calling the cops.

I think Josh is going to have to make a statement on this one. I don't think he is going to be able to ignore this away.

Might not even be able to pray this one away! I'm sure he's trying though. I'm kind of curious about JB's response. On the one hand he's probably loving the family being in the press, but on the other hand he's probably not thrilled about the reason why.

• Love 3

Until there is at least a copy of the actual police report OR an actual young woman coming forth saying she was assaulted, I don't think the Duggars should or will do anything.

JB may have been stupid then, but he's not stupid now.

• Love 3

I think there was an incident of some kind, but it probably fell into the "horny teenager can't control his urges" category.  In their world, however, it was not something that could be let alone.

I also think that Josh appears to be a kool-aid drinker, but he does it for survival rather than true belief.  He had to depend on his father to earn a living, because he had no real education or skills. He has always said that 2 or 3 kids would be just fine with him, and he never really made an effort to hide his big screen tv.  I also think he harbors some significant resentment towards Jim Bob because of the missed educational opportunities.  This kid wanted to be a lawyer at one point.

I am sure that there are lots of people at his workplace who resent the fact that an uneducated reality tv personality is on the payroll. I'm also pretty sure that Josh is painfully aware of his abysmal education every single day.  The fact that Derick has a university degree and Ben just graduated from community college probably bothers him to no end, as does the fact that Joseph is enrolled at Crown College.

Going out on a limb here, but if this scandal does result in him losing his job, I think he would really have a difficult time going back to working for Dad.  And with a family to support, I would not be at all surprised if in desperation he approached someone about a tell-all book.  

• Love 7

Where there's smoke, there's fire. I think we'll hear more about this, but I'm not buying in until a legitimate media outlet (one that uses the right form of "their" and knows that "'statue' of limitations" is incorrect) picks it up. International Business Times, Inquisitr, Examiner ... they're bloggers.

• Love 8
I also think he harbors some significant resentment towards Jim Bob because of the missed educational opportunities.  This kid wanted to be a lawyer at one point.

I don't know.  Josh sure seems kind of lazy. 

• Love 1

Josh was caught sneaking into a girl's room, the father threatened to press charges, JB thought he was smarter than everyone else in the room and could handle it and give Josh a good scare. There's a (possibly not even serious) report written up, girl admits she gave as good as she got, no charges brought, Jim Bob is known as the idiot who turned in his own kid, Josh is shown to be normal kid from freak family, and political establishment cuts JB off.

There you go

That's almost exactly the scenario that makes most sense to me, as well. JB walked in on an non-chaperoned front-hug, freaked out and over-reacted. Which caused whispers, a bit of scandal and ultimately JB's falling out both with Josh and the other fundie leaders.

If the police were told that there was merely a side hug or even a kiss, I would think that he would know this wasn't against the law, especially seeing as how he and Michelle were guilty of that and no one called the cops on them. I don't know. It's fishy.

I am not going to judge Josh on this one. There is not enough info out there for me to come to any

conclusion. Too many questions. What happened? Was is Consensual? How old was Josh? How old was the

girl? Was it a girl.

There seem to be some recent cases of 17 year olds being put on the Sexual Predators List for having sex or

sexual activity with their 15 year old BF/GF. I am sorry, no.

That is not what the law is for.

Back to Josh, if he did this I need tons more proof to judge.

• Love 11
(edited)

My interpretation as well. I don't think Josh had a single clue as to how much work would be involved in getting a bachelor's degree and then on to law school. Seven years if done full-time and he's how old now - 26? Then there's the bar exam. Although the FRC has been showing him daily how ill-prepared he is for it. No, IMO, Josh is not your typical high-achieving, responsible, dependable, self-disciplined - and uptight - firstborn. I think he would have spent years happily minding the car lot if FRC hadn't come calling. His "I want to be an attorney" declaration really translates to "My Dad wants me to be an attorney. He needs one now, one that he won't have to pay for every little thing..."

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 3

This story is showing up on my favorite gossip site.  That's bad news for the Duggars, because this is a site where the predominant posters are educated professional women.  The rare Duggar story is profiled there, and it's typically filled with comments regarding the patriarchal nature of their lives, and how unfortunate that the children are poorly educated, and the girls never aspire to be anything other than wives and mothers.

Anyway, the vast majority of posters think the victim was either a younger sister, or Amy.  This is not a site that idly speculates about incest, or child molestation, and yet that's the immediate basic consensus.  At the very least, I think the People covers have been compromised, possibly forever.  This story is crossing over to a mainstream audience, who typically doesn't care what these people do.

I honestly don't know what to think at this point.  I just can't see Jim Bob involving "the law" in the handling of his family. 

• Love 2

It seems like in the early years, Josh was an Eager Beaver and seemed motivated to do something. And then as he got older and came to realize how idiotic and limiting his parent's beliefs were he probably started down Bitter Highway. I'd be pissed, too if my entire life I was told the crazy bullshit he was told, and then got out into the real world and discovered that there's a whole lot of gray area. Now he's got M4 on the way and he's only 26 or 27?  Being a smug, know-it-all 26-year-old crusader against the godless heathens/father of 4 is exhausting.

• Love 5
I honestly don't know what to think at this point.  I just can't see Jim Bob involving "the law" in the handling of his family.

I know, and I just find it difficult to believe that he would do this without some kind of proof or admissions that Josh did something that was really bad in the eyes of the law.

• Love 1

For those of you who have experience with Fundies, is a little clandestine smooching and fondling between non-courting teenagers totally unheard of? Hormones will get the best of anyone, no matter how much you try to pray them away.

As arrogant as Josh can be I would truly feel sorry for him if he were to lose his job over this.

I've said repeatedly that if someone wants a college education in the U.S., they find a way to get one. Even coming from much worse situations that Josh Duggar.

But I don't think he was at all content sitting and working for his father. I think he said he wanted to be a lawyer because that was what the politicians around him growing up were. I imagine, professionally, he's pretty happy with where he is, although he knows he needs to strengthen himself up for promotions in the future. (That doesn't mean he needs a law degree, though )

(edited)

Good grief. I honestly don't know what to think. There are compelling and logical arguments on both sides. The only thing I can say with much certainty at all is that if anything monumentally-unintelligent was done during this saga, it was Boob that did it. 

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 10
(edited)

This story is showing up on my favorite gossip site. That's bad news for the Duggars, because this is a site where the predominant posters are educated professional women. The rare Duggar story is profiled there, and it's typically filled with comments regarding the patriarchal nature of their lives, and how unfortunate that the children are poorly educated, and the girls never aspire to be anything other than wives and mothers.

Anyway, the vast majority of posters think the victim was either a younger sister, or Amy. This is not a site that idly speculates about incest, or child molestation, and yet that's the immediate basic consensus. At the very least, I think the People covers have been compromised, possibly forever. This story is crossing over to a mainstream audience, who typically doesn't care what these people do.

I honestly don't know what to think at this point. I just can't see Jim Bob involving "the law" in the handling of his family.

It couldn't be one of the sisters if the case was basically dropped. In Arkansas it could have been Amy and they wouldn't have legally been able to go after Josh under incest laws. The police could have pursued sexual assualt charges if Amy or her mother wanted too. I can't imagine Josh would be so accepted in that community with even a rumor of assualting his cousin. Since the rumor has been around long enough, FRC would have required details before hiring him.

For those of you who have experience with Fundies, is a little clandestine smooching and fondling between non-courting teenagers totally unheard of? Hormones will get the best of anyone, no matter how much you try to pray them away.

For my Southern Baptist Fundie cousin/cousin-in-law, they were caught kissing alone with clothes on. They were married less then six months later. The girl was only 17 and had to have her parents approve the marriage. That was less embarrassing/shameful for them then the kissing thing.

Then my cousins divorced about 18 years later, got disowned from her family, and their kids do whatever they want sexually. How quickly the beliefs fell apart.

Edited by Saylii
  • Love 3

His "I want to be an attorney" declaration really translates to "My Dad wants me to be an attorney. 

In DC and the suburbs (DMV, for District, Maryland, and (Northern) Virginia), there are about as many attorneys as there are people living in the state of Wyoming. Lots and lots of attorneys. You can barely have 3 adults sitting on a sofa at a party without at least one attorney. Some of the DMV people who are working in other professions are attorneys. To me, his statement is short for "I want to get ahead, and everyone I see around me is an attorney, so I guess I need to be an attorney."

I've said repeatedly that if someone wants a college education in the U.S., they find a way to get one. Even coming from much worse situations that Josh Duggar.

But I don't think he was at all content sitting and working for his father. I think he said he wanted to be a lawyer because that was what the politicians around him growing up were. I imagine, professionally, he's pretty happy with where he is, although he knows he needs to strengthen himself up for promotions in the future. (That doesn't mean he needs a law degree, though )

He may not really need a law degree, but he sees lots of attorneys all around him. It's sort of like what an MBA used to be for getting ahead in business. If you want to be credible in DC or DMV, that law education gives you extra points.

Some of this is cynicism, I'll admit. I'm not an attorney, I live in the DMV, I love my job, and yet some days it feels like I can't walk around the block without crossing paths with 6 attorneys.

• Love 6

In DC and the suburbs (DMV, for District, Maryland, and (Northern) Virginia), there are about as many attorneys as there are people living in the state of Wyoming. Lots and lots of attorneys. You can barely have 3 adults sitting on a sofa at a party without at least one attorney. Some of the DMV people who are working in other professions are attorneys. To me, his statement is short for "I want to get ahead, and everyone I see around me is an attorney, so I guess I need to be an attorney."

He may not really need a law degree, but he sees lots of attorneys all around him. It's sort of like what an MBA used to be for getting ahead in business. If you want to be credible in DC or DMV, that law education gives you extra points.

Some of this is cynicism, I'll admit. I'm not an attorney, I live in the DMV, I love my job, and yet some days it feels like I can't walk around the block without crossing paths with 6 attorneys.

Agree. Lawyers are to the 80s, 90s and early 21st century what engineers were to the 50s, 60s and 70s. Everywhere. Not to mention every third contestant on Jeopardy.

• Love 2

Tabloids rarely publish lies these days. How many InTouch covers outed Bruce Jenner over the years? These are sexual abuse allegations. I can't see these magazines playing around with such litigious material.

I think the Duggars are either asking TLC or People for more money for future seasons or photo spreads. The companies don't want to pay what ridiculous figure Jim Bob snatched out, so they leaked a story that they once helped conceal. Or perhaps even someone at the FRC wants Josh out and this is the quickest way to do it.

I never heard this story before because I am relatively new to tv forums, but I do know that TLC does have a relationship with at least RadarOL.      I think Cinci here has it 100% correct.   They have done it before and the Duggars are not immune from it either.  So yah.....to use Duggar slang, I think TLC is teaching them a lesson or they want the usual last season full of scandal, trouble and eventual destruction of the Duggars.   Go out with a big side bang.

• Love 3

Any speculation that he could have touched one of his sisters makes me unspeakably sad. I hope beyond hope that's not the case.

I agree. 

Keeping secrets is hard. No matter what went down, I'm sure the kids were told to never speak of it. I know ( a bit from experience) how difficult that can be, and how the repercussions can have a life-long effect.

There are other secrets in that house as well. I often think of Jana. Something is going on there. I just don't know what.

• Love 10
(edited)

My interpretation as well. I don't think Josh had a single clue as to how much work would be involved in getting a bachelor's degree and then on to law school. Seven years if done full-time and he's how old now - 26? Then there's the bar exam. Although the FRC has been showing him daily how ill-prepared he is for it. No, IMO, Josh is not your typical high-achieving, responsible, dependable, self-disciplined - and uptight - firstborn. I think he would have spent years happily minding the car lot if FRC hadn't come calling. His "I want to be an attorney" declaration really translates to "My Dad wants me to be an attorney. He needs one now, one that he won't have to pay for every little thing..."

Now you know you and I usually agree about nearly everything, Welfleet, but this time I see it a little differently. God knows I'm not a fan of Josh Duggar, but in the early seasons, the specials at least, he did seem like a bright energetic kid to me. He may well have wanted to be a lawyer. Why not? He was interested in politics and a law degree is a good background for that. At the time his only education was SOTDRT and he had no way of knowing how inadequate it was. He's not a complete idiot. With a normal high school education and a chance to go to college, there's no reason he couldn't have done it. I think he really did want it, and that he was pushed hard into the courtship-engagement-car lot life instead. Could he have said no? Yes, but not without losing his family. So although I feel like he gave in too easily, I do think it's what he really wanted.

I also think he hated the car lot, and hated being under Jim Bob's thumb. (And you know Boob did not let him run it on his own, or ever allow him to actually be in charge.) Now that he's out in the world and seeing how many choices most of his colleagues have had, and how much more they know about nearly everything, he has a lot of resentment built up and of course he'd rather blame Jim Bob than himself. That is a very, very stressed out young man; he looks like a heart attack waiting to happen. But I don't think he was born lazy. He didn't have to go to DC, but he leapt at the chance -- and Jim Bob was not happy about it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I really wonder who decided to start this attack. As several posters have noted, "statue of limitations" is a stupidly basic mistake and does not lend credibility to the papers that published it. So far this doesn't seem very solid at all. Obviously, I may be wrong, but I think that if anyone had more, they'd have come forth by now. Well, unless they're in clandestine talks with a one of the news outlets to give the story for a fee. Which I guess is possible. But my feeling right now is that GEML, as so often, has the most cogent theory.

Edited by JenCarroll
  • Love 7

Any speculation that he could have touched one of his sisters makes me unspeakably sad. I hope beyond hope that's not the case.

If a family member was involved, they would have also added Incest to the charges.
  • Love 3

Now you know you and I usually agree about nearly everything, Welfleet, but this time I see it a little differently. God knows I'm not a fan of Josh Duggar, but in the early seasons, the specials at least, he did seem like a bright energetic kid to me. He may well have wanted to be a lawyer. Why not? He was interested in politics and a law degree is a good background for that. At the time his only education was SOTDRT and he had no way of knowing how inadequate it was. He's not a complete idiot. With a normal high school education and a chance to go to college, there's no reason he couldn't have done it. I think he really did want it, and that he was pushed hard into the courtship-engagement-car lot life instead. Could he have said no? Yes, but not without losing his family. So although I feel like he gave in too easily, I do think it's what he really wanted.

I also think he hated the car lot, and hated being under Jim Bob's thumb. (And you know Boob did not let him run it on his own, or ever allow him to actually be in charge.) Now that he's out in the world and seeing how many choices most of his colleagues have had, and how much more they know about nearly everything, he has a lot of resentment built up and of course he'd rather blame Jim Bob than himself. That is a very, very stressed out young man; he looks like a heart attack waiting to happen. But I don't think he was born lazy. He didn't have to go to DC, but he leapt at the chance -- and Jim Bob was not happy about it.

I really wonder who decided to start this attack. As several posters have noted, "statue of limitations" is a stupidly basic mistake and does not lend credibility to the papers that published it. So far this doesn't seem very solid at all. Obviously, I may be wrong, but I think that if anyone had more, they'd have come forth by now. Well, unless they're in clandestine talks with a one of the news outlets to give the story for a fee. Which I guess is possible. But my feeling right now is that GEML, as so often, has the most cogent theory.

No problem, JenCarroll. I like hearing viewpoints that differ from mine. They always make me think, they always make me consider things from the other side - and sometimes they even get me to change my mind. If I could, I'd send you a copy of a poster I have framed on my office wall.  Don't Believe Everything You Think. Given to me by my parents when I went off for my freshman year in college, and now something of a mantra for me. :>) 

Yes, I absolutely agree that Josh probably must have a lot of resentment built-up toward Boob and Me-chelle - for many obvious reasons. And if he doesn't, he should...

• Love 9

Sadly people are pulling up old threads from FJ on Dlisted in the comments on a story Mike K wrote about Josh. I can't copy it off my tablet but the commnets are horrible especially if they are pulling up old Razing Ruth bs stories.

I don't see anything being done because things get swept under the carpet but I am surprised the "victim" hasn't come out of the woodwork.

I'm reading more comments and someone posted an old article about the founder of the FRC being caught with a gay escort. *snort* It's always the rightous ones. One again on my tiny tablet can't post t the link.

• Love 1
(edited)

If there is such a person, I don't think she would ever come forward. She would be damaged goods in Gothard-land.

Assuming she's still a gothardite. I don't blame her, I wouldn't want to be associated with the Duggars in public, especially as a victim.

I wonder of there's even a girl. Josh could've been alone in that bedroom to find dirty panties for all we know. Also, WTH was Jim Bob doing by a teen girl's bedroom door, protecting her?

I'm reading more comments and someone posted an old article about the founder of the FRC being caught with a gay escort. *snort* It's always the rightous ones.

George Alan Rekers, long before Josh's tenure.

Edited by JoanArc
  • Love 3

Wow, only in Gothardland can a 17-year-old boy's father call the cops on him because he was caught leaving a girl's room.  I feel sorry for Smuggar for the first time in recorded history.  I can't even begin to imagine how one recovers from their dad alerting police about something like this.  It'll be interesting to see how this plays out over the next week or so.

• Love 4

I still don't think anything serious can come from this story surfacing now. I don't think Josh will lose his job, nor do I think that the Duggars will make any kind of public statement about it.

I'm thinking of the recent allegations against Bill Cosby. It's at least a dozen women from what I remember reading, and the claims are much more serious than what Josh was accused of. But has there been any investigation of the allegations against Cosby? And other than a couple of cancelled television appearances, has anything further happened with him?

• Love 1

Is this being reported by anyone reputable? The dlink article (and I use that term loosely) was so biased I wouldn't believe it even if I knew it was true.

Salon and Zap2It are the most mainstream sources I've stumbled across (and it's actually trending on Facebook, though that's a different question!), but I haven't sifted through the Duggars in the Media thread yet.