Type keyword(s) to search

Josh & Anna Smuggar: A Series of Unfortunate Events

• Start Topic

GEML what did JB do wrong?  You say he burned a lot of bridges, and I know he only served one term, but other than being lazy and bringing his kids along all the time, how did he alienate his voters and fellow politicians?

Overreach. He could've done well to sty in the Arkansas house. US Senate is a whole difference ball game. Jim Bob could've spend 20-30 years as, say the corrupt may or Tonitown or Springdale. He got greedy, and can't really go off script.

• Love 4

As I said, you can't just waltz into your state and start demanding you get to run for X or Y. Not if you belong to the political party that runs the majority. And post 1990, Arkansas was really a red state, Bill Clinton not withstanding.

These small states are really pretty corrupt machine states. They thrive on people giving money to candidates and expecting something for that money. It was fine that Jim Bob was a State Senator. It was NOT fine that he was running and FUNDING his own campaign with money from Gothard folks and volunteers. The party/donor base worried (perhaps rightly) that they couldn't control him. They made sure he not only lost, but he's been blackballed ever since.

• Love 2

As I said, you can't just waltz into your state and start demanding you get to run for X or Y. Not if you belong to the political party that runs the majority. And post 1990, Arkansas was really a red state, Bill Clinton not withstanding.

These small states are really pretty corrupt machine states. They thrive on people giving money to candidates and expecting something for that money. It was fine that Jim Bob was a State Senator. It was NOT fine that he was running and FUNDING his own campaign with money from Gothard folks and volunteers. The party/donor base worried (perhaps rightly) that they couldn't control him. They made sure he not only lost, but he's been blackballed ever since.

What did he attempt politically after the US Senate bid? I've just been assuming he went right from that to TLC. Were there other runs he couldn't pull off?

No, after the Senate bid he knew he was finished and it nearly wiped him out financially. Plus, he was probably treated pretty badly. Politics is an ugly, blood sport.

• Love 2

No, after the Senate bid he knew he was finished and it nearly wiped him out financially. Plus, he was probably treated pretty badly. Politics is an ugly, blood sport.

OK, thanks - that's what I thought. When you said he'd been blackballed since losing the US bid, I wondered "From what?" Couldn't imagine that he'd have kept trying after that.

• Love 1

I do think he will make a run. But that's a lot harder to do than you might think. Politics in small, corrupt states like Arkansas isn't easy to break into. (just ask Jim Bob). And there is usually a line of people who have cultivated the right people and played the game. When pretty much your entire state belongs to an entire political party, you have to fight with your own party to win - the victory comes from winning the primary, not the general election. And that usually means if you get the big wigs behind you, you get the win. Not always, but usually.

Jim Bob burned a LOT of political bridged behind him in AR, and Josh is working hard to rebuild them. He has to, if he even wants a prayer of running. The Duggars name may be a famous one in Arkansas, but it's not berms successful one politically.

Aren't the Clintons from Arkansas?

Yes the Clintons are from Arkansas.

Regarding the Republican party, Goldwater warned almost half a century ago that the party needed to beware of the Religious Right infesting and overtaking their ranks.  He was right.

• Love 7

Yes the Clintons are from Arkansas.

Regarding the Republican party, Goldwater warned almost half a century ago that the party needed to beware of the Religious Right infesting and overtaking their ranks.  He was right.

I remember that - it was over 50 years ago. Summer of 1964. I was 8 and watching my first Presidential conventions with my Dad on TV - Johnson v Goldwater. Back when conventions still meant something. Now they're more like coronations. Wow, that was a long time ago.

• Love 3

I referred to the Clinton's a few posts up. There is a Democratic machine in AR, but it's been on its last legs starting from when they left in 1992, and most political consultants consider it a "red" state.

There is a certain irony in HRC and Michelle Duggar being mothers of the year. They both certainly put their daughters out there when they need to in advancement of their own careers.

Edited by GEML
  • Love 1

Josh and FRC Action were both mentioned in this article about today's SCOTUS oral arguments regarding same-sex marriage:

Josh Duggar, the executive director of FRC Action, which is part of the Family Research Council, said he also expects the justices to side with them. Duggar is the eldest child on the TLC reality show "19 Kids and Counting."

"I think it was clear for those that were in the court of what the mood of the court was today. And that is to take a very careful look at the effects this decision could have on the American family, and the fact that children, like my own three children, are going to be faced with a very different America," he said. "A place where children are not going to grow up with a mother and a father."

"I think it was clear for those that were in the court of what the mood of the court was today. And that is to take a very careful look at the effects this decision could have on the American family, and the fact that children, like my own three children, are going to be faced with a very different America," he said.

...Was Josh paying attention to the same SCOTUS hearing that I was today?
  • Love 8

"I think it was clear for those that were in the court of what the mood of the court was today. And that is to take a very careful look at the effects this decision could have on the American family, and the fact that children, like my own three children, are going to be faced with a very different America," he said. "A place where children are not going to grow up with a mother and a father."

He's right. Children need a mother, father, and a shadowy molester to see that they're raised right.

I posted a few of his recent speeches where Josh uses the '4 kids, one preborn'; I guess huffpo isn't buying that.

On a serious note, if/when (soon!) gay marriage is legal everywhere in the US will Josh still be so vocal about it? I can't see it being a winning issue, like abortion. You don't see people still protesting interracial marriages, etc. Half of his job is about to go away. No wonder he's pissed.

• Love 11

On a serious note, if/when (soon!) gay marriage is legal everywhere in the US will Josh still be so vocal about it? I can't see it being a winning issue, like abortion. You don't see people still protesting interracial marriages, etc. Half of his job is about to go away. No wonder he's pissed.

No, they'll just turn their focus to "religious liberty" laws. He'll still have plenty to talk about at those conservative, religious, values summits that seem to always be taking place somewhere.

• Love 1

Smuggar being a lawyer has about as much chance of happening as J'Chelle conceiving J'22 or Benessa adopting. It's all for show.

Yeah, I just cannot see this happening either. Even if he could do the academic work, and thanks to the laughable homeschooling he received, I honestly don't think he could, I don't believe he has one single clue as to how much time and real effort would be required. It clearly is posturing for the camera/TLC. Josh might as well have said: "My plans have always been car lot to FRC, then on to med school..." Uh-huh.

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 4

The owner of Hobby Lobby had some ties to Gothard, if I remember correctly. I don't have easy access to a way to look that up this minute, but if that's true, Josh will have plenty of work as the religious conscience clauses go to the courts and become a huge issue in the 2016 campaign.

Josh has 2 problems right now.

1.   He is so used to travel around with his family that he is a bit lost without 18 other people around him all the time.   it's a bit like the case of multiple birth kids doing things alone.   They need to do so, but it is hard because they are used to be part of a group.   It's disorienting to them to be a single.   Josh is used to be one of a herd.   Being in this herd has protected him from a lot (talk about herd immunity).   By only being with his family he never had to learn how to interact with others, deal with others, or be exposed to others who might think differently than almight Jim Boob.  

Which brings me to his 2nd problem.

2.  Josh is having a crisis of faith.   All his life he has been told by his parents that doing anything even a little bit different from how they want it done is not just wrong, it's SINFUL.   He will burn in hell if he looks at a woman in a tank top.   Getting an education and questioning things instead of accepting the gospel of mom and dad is SINFUL.   Now he is in DC, which is a pretty liberal city seeing woman who are wearing a lot less than tank top and there are no gang rapes on every corner.   He is working with men -- an women -- who have AT LEAST a BA and they are not being struck by ligtening by God for daring to have a sheepskin.   These are people who think critically (you might not agree with their thinking but they do think) and no one is gasping in shock.   These are people who are not living with their parents and doing every little thing their parents tell them -- and the world hasn't ended.   

Josh has to work his way through these 2 things before he can even begin to figure out what he really wants.   Dealing with this, especially the 2nd one, has got to messing with his mind.  Having another kid thrown into this trying time can only be adding to that stress.

I don't like his politics, but I can feel for what he is going through.   Finding out what you always believed may not be right is never easy.

Post of the day! Well said.

• Love 1

According to Smuggar's comment on the same sex marriage hearing before the Supreme Court today (and the thought of Smuggar in that courtroom is just ridiculous) children of the future will not grow up with a mom and a dad. How sheltered is he anyway? Has he never heard of single parent homes? Divorced parents? News bulletin for Josh. There is no one standard catch-all definition of what constitutes a family. Millions of childrens live with one parent or no parent. There are kids being raised by grandparents, aunts, uncles and other extended family or friends. Some kids are in foster care. Hell, he should really know better. His mom checked out mentally long ago and his younger siblings are being raised by older siblings. Why two parents of the same sex are such a threat to him escapes me. My husband attends an Episcopal Church. The pastor and her partner are married and have an adorable 4 year old who is well loved and well adjusted. Smuggar is happy with his family and that's his business, but he has no business dictating to anyone else what's best or right for them.

Edited by Hpmec
  • Love 18

Josh's soundbite mostly amuses me because, yes, while SCOTUS did touch upon the ways same-sex marriage would affect children, it certainly wasn't in any way that benefited Josh's side. Justice Kennedy, who is universally considered to be the crucial swing vote here, was downright skeptical of the states' claims that SSM would harm children: "You had some premise that only opposite­-sex couples can have a bonding with the child. That was very interesting, but it's just a wrong premise." So, like, why exactly is Josh so optimistic? Is he just trying to keep his side from wilting from despair? Is he that stupid? 

(I don't think the judges' decision is a slam dunk by any means, but the wind is definitely blowing against Josh right now.) 

• Love 7

Watching Josh and Anna on the earlier episode tonight, I'm sorry to say that the two of them are getting more boring all the time. And the more kids that they have, they'll end up repeating storylines that were in the original 17 Kids and Counting tv series. He better not give up his day job. 

I don't think Smuggar will try to get a degree unless he quits the show. Between his job & family, I don't see how he would pull off working towards a degree & doing bits for this show.

Okay, Josh, but what about religious denominations that do affirm same-sex marriage? By banning gay marriage, aren't you violating their religious freedom?

The persecution complex Josh has is truly staggering but not surprising; I've seen that attitude way too many times. His people have spent years suppressing and tormenting and bullying LGBT people and now that they can't get away with it anymore without significant blowback, suddenly they're the victims.

• Love 20

So does Josh's organization feel that my religion (Presbyterian Church USA) isn't a valid one because we do know acknowledge and approve of gay marriage and will perform the ceremonies in our church? I'd like to see him come face to face with a few ministers that I know. Actually, they might be able to convince him that his organization is nothing but one that exists merely to hate those who don't agree with their values.

• Love 6

When you take kids to the grocery store, and they are running off... Don't you make them keep one hand on the cart? Or since you have two people, just grab another cart and make the other little boy sit inside one.... It seems if you have three kids you'd have a strategy. Also give kids something to do so they don't run aimlessly. If you two behave you will get a treat when we leave:) Not sugar while we are still shopping.. Holy cow!

• Love 6

The CEO of Discovery Networks is (IIRC) married to his partner. It's time to write a snail mail letter, at least for me. My husband was brought up by his uncle (and his uncle's partner) because his heterosexual parents were unable to deal with the responsibilities involved. To say that I am sick of Joshie-poo and his family's dismissal of everything and everyone who isn't rich, white, straight, Republican and fundamentalist is an understatement. Other reality show personalities have had significant sanctions from their network for saying objectionable/bigoted/discriminatory things; why are the Duggars treated with kid gloves?

• Love 8

Mainstream media is picking up on their bigotry 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/04/29/josh-duggar-gay-marriage_n_7171404.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

Smugs- I think most people would rather be raised by a loving regular gay couple than Sex obsessed Jboob and robot/narcissist Michelle.

You are not the typical American family. You are a bunch of weirdos. 

Luckily most of the commenters on the huffpo article are not supportive. I think the FRC needs to redirect because being anti gay nowadays is really really socially  unacceptable, along with homophobia  ( at least in the middle class some what educated groups- who tend to be your voters). What Josh is too ignorant to realize is that him and Anna are on the fringe of society, not gay people. 

Im really surprised TLC is continuing to support the Duggars and have them on TV, TBH.

Edited by yogi2014L
  • Love 15
Other reality show personalities have had significant sanctions from their network for saying objectionable/bigoted/discriminatory things; why are the Duggars treated with kid gloves?

Im really surprised TLC is continuing to support the Duggars and have them on TV, TBH.

Sadly, the Duggars are still TLC's cash cow.

The Robertsons of Duck Dynasty were suspended, but then brought back because Duck Dynasty is insanely popular and money talks. The Benham brothers had their show canned, but that wasn't as much of a risk because it was before the show even aired, so they didn't have a devoted following or steady cash flow.

Anna's midwife has real credentials! FINALLY! This gal is the polar opposite of Jill's Vanessa (whose license has apparently been revoked) or "Miss Joy" from the Shack. 

http://www.birthcare.org/midwives/marsha/

These midwives are fantastic. They are CNMs and decades of experience each. They have very specific and unbreakable rules about qualifying for a home birth and don't mess around with problems. 

• Love 3

The Robertsons of Duck Dynasty were suspended, but then brought back because Duck Dynasty is insanely popular and money talks. The Benham brothers had their show canned, but that wasn't as much of a risk because it was before the show even aired, so they didn't have a devoted following or steady cash flow.

That is really the bottom line, money.   The way to put an end to the Duggars and even better TLC is to bombard the sponsors of the shows. Calls and emails telling them you will boycott their products.  Of course not watching the shows too.

Each individual person making a call, writing an email or showing up to demonstrate does make a difference.

• Love 3
Articles from competing agenda driven sources don't support anything.

Good thing we have the video so we can hear firsthand Josh's words in all their stupid glory lol. 

Edited by galax-arena
  • Love 8

Oh Josh.  If you are going to make a living delivering these little speeches, at least do a little fact checking before you speak.

The only other country considering same sex marriage is Brazil?  Check a map, buddy.  Canada has had coast to coast same sex marriage since 2005.  The Netherlands and Belgium had it before that.  Most of Western Europe, South Africa, New Zealand, and lots of Latin American countries recognize it.

And WTF is an "Orthodox Christian"?   I guess the term "conservative" has gone out of style.

• Love 10

I wish Josh or his speech writer would quit using "Othodox Christian."  There is an actual denomination called just that.  Not to mention what Josh practices can hardly be called orthodox by many Christians either.  

• Love 8

But these people don't get the numbers they use to. The Duggars only get ratings for weddings and babies. Then after a while it get boring. The Robertsons ever since Phil rant about gays and atheist lost a lot of viewers. I wish both shows would end

• Love 3

Oh Josh. If you are going to make a living delivering these little speeches, at least do a little fact checking before you speak.

The only other country considering same sex marriage is Brazil? Check a map, buddy. Canada has had coast to coast same sex marriage since 2005. The Netherlands and Belgium had it before that. Most of Western Europe, South Africa, New Zealand, and lots of Latin American countries recognize it.

And WTF is an "Orthodox Christian"? I guess the term "conservative" has gone out of style.

Seventeen countries is a little more than one. ;-)

I _think_ probably he was told, by whoever briefs him on issues, that Brazil is the only country to have instituted same-sex marriage _via a court decision_ rather than through legislative action (this is true). But he's such a moron, he failed to understand his briefing and went around saying Brazil is the only country to allow same-sex marriage, full stop. Or he may have twisted it around on purpose, but I got the feeling that he thought he was being accurate.

How stupid does he have to be before even these asshats decide they can do without his "help?"

ETA: I wrote "these asshats" because the actual name FRC had slipped my mind. I was trying to explain who I meant to my daughter, thinking she might know, and she said, "Oh, I know who you mean. It's, like, Christians Against Humanity or something." :-)

Edited by JenCarroll
  • Love 9

I wish that one day Smuggar will wake up and see and realize how dumb and stupid he is and also what he says is also stupid.

He won't. Hence the name Smuggar. A smug & arrogant know it all, who actually does not know it all!

• Love 4