Type keyword(s) to search

Josh & Anna Smuggar: A Series of Unfortunate Events

• Start Topic

Jana, Jill, Amy and maybe Jessa.

The wild card in this is Amy. She seems closer to Josh than any of his sisters do -- understandably, now -- and I can't help thinking she would have been less than thrilled to be around him, or the family in general, if he had abused her. I also can't imagine Deanna, or Grandma, allowing her to be around Josh if she had been one of the victims.

• Love 2

I don't think it is true because Oprah would turn Josh into shredded meat. She thrives on such things. I can't stand the woman by the way so I freely admit to a bias. I think she is the mega-Queen of the church of Oprah. There. I feel better about my Oprah rant.

Thing is, with parents like Michelle and Jim Bob who do not believing in even hugging your siblings, masturbation, normal dating, etc... you are begging for trouble.

I am not saying it did not happen. I am saying there are a lot of holes in the story and there are lots of Duggar haters waiting to take them down.

If it turns out to be true, I will be madder at the parents than at Josh because he was 14... and why did the parents do what they did?

Maybe they should dig up a report on Michelle for all her bikini mowing. I am sure it's out there.

• Love 3

Who knows what happened if anything.

But TMZ using the word Allegedly and no lawyers willing to the the case and there was  no case.

Police reports mean nothing...hearsay at this point..it's not evidence of a crime.

Anyone can make in a police report about anything. 

If nothing came of it then, what is going to come of it ten years later?

• Love 1

I feel sorry for Josh only because I think the way he was raised left little room for healthy sexual expression. I honestly don't know if he will be able to live with himself now that this is public because he's built a career out of shaming and damning the moral turpitude of others. Poor Anna is getting hammered on Instagram. I just don't see a way out of this for any of them. Jill and Jessa are very fortunate that they have husbands that love them, that can provide support outside of that disgusting house.

• Love 6

Who knows what happened if anything.

But TMZ using the word Allegedly and no lawyers willing to the the case and there was no case.

Police reports mean nothing...hearsay at this point..it's not evidence of a crime.

Anyone can make in a police report about anything.

If nothing came of it then, what is going to come of it ten years later?

What hearsay? The report includes investigation summaries from the young female victims confirming the fondling.
  • Love 18

Wow, just wow. Left for a quick errand and came back to this?

Those poor girls. I can't even imagine. No support at all, and probably made to feel that this was somehow their fault? That explains the transition from nightgowns to sleeping in clothes. Also explains the fact that the girls share a room. Safety in numbers, after all.

It explains so much. Why Josh was pushed into early marriage and why he was never really allowed to live in the TTH. Why Michelle seems to have it in for Jana and why Jana is so oddly asexual. The sidehugs, the Nike, children sleeping fully clothed, accountability partners, the family traveling as a pack instead of breaking off into age-appropriate groups. It's like the puzzle pieces are all coming together and it's worse than we could have ever imagined.

I'm praying to God Joy wasn't among the girls who were abused. She would have been at a very vulnerable age when all this shit went down.

• Love 20
(edited)

These new developments make Josh's flip little asshole comment the other night about Jana and Jinger possibly courting all the more weird and inappropriate.  It also explains the daggers in the girls' eyes after he said it.  He must be one smug son-of-a-bitch to have the nerve to sit there and make "hey, hey, hey" jokes in their presence. 

Edited by SuzyLee
  • Love 11

Okay, the stuff about Jim Bob meeting with the church elders first makes sense. The initial part of the report implying that he went to the authorities straightaway didn't ring true for me because that is not how these people operate.

• Love 6

Okay, the stuff about Jim Bob meeting with the church elders first makes sense. The initial part of the report implying that he went to the authorities straightaway didn't ring true for me because that is not how these people operate.

I don't buy it either. Those types prefer to handle things "in-house." If someone hadn't anonymously called the cops this would never have been brought to the attention of law enforcent.

• Love 5
(edited)

Wow...I wasn't expecting these developments. Very sad. I don't know if TLC will cancel this show, but in light of the Honey Boo Boo incident, they could out of respect for the victims. Not sure what to say about Anna and her children. It makes me sick to think about it.

A page or so back, someone made a comment that no one in the DC political circle would look up from their desks in regard to this allegation/report, like they wouldn't think anything of it nor would it impact Josh. Maybe I misunderstood, but if that's the case, that is quite horrific.

Edited by trimthatfat
  • Love 2

Wow...I wasn't expecting these developments. Very sad. I don't know if TLC will cancel this show, but in light of the Honey Boo Boo incident, they could out of respect for the victims. Not sure what to say about Anna and her children. It makes me sick to think about it.

A page or so back, someone made a comment that no one in the DC political circle would look up from their desks in regard to this allegation/report, like they wouldn't think anything of it nor would it impact Josh. Maybe I misunderstood, but if that's the case, that is quite horrific.

It may have been the case before the report was released, but there's no way he still has a job after today. I imagine he's boxing his shit up as we speak.

• Love 3

I actually wonder how Ben and Derick are processing this information. Both seem to care deeply about their wives and I can see them hitting the ceiling with this new information. We snark about them a lot but I'm really glad that Jessa and Jill have these particular guys right now. I can't see either one treating them like damaged goods like other husbands in their little group would.

• Love 16

I think the initial call was made by whoever found the girls' "please help us" letter in the book??

Earlier today I felt bad for Josh. Now I feel sick to my stomach.

Poor Jana is so traumatized by the abuse that she is hypervigilant with the safety of her little sisters. She'd rather sacrifice her young adulthood than to leave her little sisters to the care of her carefree parents.

I don't think Jinger is a possible victim because her name is too long. Jana, Jill, Amy and maybe Jessa.

I hadn't heard of a letter, could someone elaborate please? Thanks.

In the police report, it's mentioned that someone wrote a letter about what Josh did and put it in a book. It was found much later when the book was loaned out to a friend in the church. The person who found the letter reported it.

• Love 2
(edited)

My sister, a therapist, just said something that made a lot of sense. In most families, a child's natural curiosity about the opposite sex often makes itself known when an older child watches Mom or Dad change a baby sibling's diaper, or bathe that child. A parent can then offer simple explanations about the differences.

In the Duggar family, I would imagine there was absolutely NO such thing as allowing a boy child to watch a girl's diaper being changed, or for toddler boys and girls to bathe together. Couple that with the fact that, in that family, sex is the subtext for EVERYTHING, and that sets the scene for Josh to act out his curiosity inappropriately. Not to say for one second that what he did can or should be excused, and not to say that it constituted normal exploration. But boundaries are so, so messed up in that family.

Let me be very clear -- the girls, not Josh, are the victims here. But MEchelle and Boob owed their son some help as well.

I totally agree with this statement. My next thought is what happens to him now? His parents never got him the help he clearly needed at 14 and just shipped him off to ALERT and Anna.  Now he's a grown ass man with 4 kids and his whole life just came crumbling down because Boob and Meeechelle are such shitty parents. This whole situation is absolutely horrifying.

Edited by Bean421
  • Love 19

Check out pages/images #12, #31 and #32. A letter about the sexual abuse was written by one of the girls, hidden in a book and then they loaned the book out to a friend. Genius way to get help or coincidence?

Also stated in later pages of that report, one of the children confirming that they're all beaten by a "rod".

• Love 17
(edited)
Let me be very clear -- the girls, not Josh, are the victims here. But MEchelle and Boob owed their son some help as well.

I know that Josh was just a young teen himself when this happened, but I'd be lying if I said that I felt all that sorry for him because he ended up hurting his sisters. But I am definitely angrier with Michelle and Jim Bob for cultivating the type of environment where this abuse could happen in the first place. Sadly, I doubt this is all that unusual among these highly repressed IFB/Gothard groups. 

ETA: I don't even want to think about how much trouble the letter-writer got into. 

Edited by galax-arena
  • Love 15

I've only read the first 14 or so pages of this report and my heart aches for the girls and something in me wants to find the birth parents and shake them so hard.  Actually, I want to do worse.  I can't stop crying.  

• Love 4

Now we all know why the Duggars never seem joyful at all regarding anything exciting. They are so afraid of each other completely dysfunctional.

Makes sense why Jessa didn't run away from Bin she wanted out of that house of horrors and secret keeping. 

• Love 11
(edited)

I've had a weird feeling ever since the first episode of "The Willis Family."  It seemed obvious to me that they were being presented as the Duggar alternative.  The similarities are just crazy, even down to the J names.  I think the Willis family is a bit more likable and certainly less fundie.  The mom appears to have a vested interest in raising her own kids and I haven't seen any signs of buddy teams or jurisdictions.  I don't think the timing of their TLC debut was a coincidence.

Haven't watched The Willis Family at all. I have learned my lesson, thanks to 19K&C, and do not need to get sucked into another of TLC's too-large goofball family stories. 

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 5

Tmz has just reported that allegedly they have gotten their hands on the original police report and it involved Josh touching and fondling breasts and genitals of several girls,including his sisters. One instance was while they were reading a book and others while they were sleeping. Sorry, I can't post the link but it's on the main TMZ page.

(edited)
It explains so much. Why Josh was pushed into early marriage and why he was never really allowed to live in the TTH. Why Michelle seems to have it in for Jana and why Jana is so oddly asexual. The sidehugs, the Nike, children sleeping fully clothed, accountability partners, the family traveling as a pack instead of breaking off into age-appropriate groups. It's like the puzzle pieces are all coming together and it's worse than we could have ever imagined.

I'm praying to God Joy wasn't among the girls who were abused. She would have been at a very vulnerable age when all this shit went down.

And Jackson and Johannah no longer being allowed to do TH's together. They've been separated and put in groups with their own gender. Sad. They were cute and funny buddies together. They acted like siblings are supposed to act.  Wanna to bet JB and Michelle put a stop to that? 

Jinger would be around 10 at the time, correct?  That makes the Amy scenario more plausible, but the report has FOUR names redacted who have their home listed as "with their parents, Jim Bob and Michelle." 

I don't even want to think about someone as young as JoyAnna going through that. I'm going to bury my head in the sand and assume that it didn't happen to her. It's possible, though. I was 7. My cousin was 14. He was my babysitter. I never told anyone. I thought I would get yelled at. And later on, I thought that I'd get called a liar, since my mother clearly favored my cousin over me. So, I never said a word. 

I suddenly want the older girls to get custody of their "buddy" girls. No more daughters being raised by Michelle or JB.

I actually wonder how Ben and Derick are processing this information. Both seem to care deeply about their wives and I can see them hitting the ceiling with this new information. We snark about them a lot but I'm really glad that Jessa and Jill have these particular guys right now. I can't see either one treating them like damaged goods like other husbands in their little group would.

It helps that Derick has been out in the real world more than anyone in the Duggar family. His father was a police officer, and his mother has more common sense in her pinky then Jim Bob and Michelle do in their entire bodies, combined.  If he does struggle with it, he has Cathy to talk to. Which more than any Duggar kid has, when it comes to having a deeply personal discussion with a parent. 

Ben is still in the honeymoon phase. Well, he has been since Day One. He's so head over heels for Jessa that she'd never be less than perfect to him. 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 8

Now we all know why the Duggars never seem joyful at all regarding anything exciting. They are so afraid of each other completely dysfunctional.

Makes sense why Jessa didn't run away from Bin she wanted out of that house of horrors and secret keeping. 

I was thinking that too. Maybe that's why I like the Bateses much more. They seem more relaxed, happier, and more comfortable with each other even though their beliefs are similar. The Duggars always seem so uncomfortable and stiff, even after years on camera.

• Love 9

Tmz has just reported that allegedly they have gotten their hands on the original police report and it involved Josh touching and fondling breasts and genitals of several girls,including his sisters. One instance was while they were reading a book and others while they were sleeping. Sorry, I can't post the link but it's on the main TMZ page.

I posted the link here a couple hours ago.

I'm sure the Bateses are horribly alarmed about this as well. And the Dillards, and Seewalds, and Jacksons...

And you just know the girls were somehow implicated for "defrauding" their brother.

• Love 8

I feel horribly for the girls in all of this. They've just had their painful, personal business splashed all over national media. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out the victims are the J'slaves and possibly Amy.

I also agree 100% that this is the shit that happens when you isolate your children, turn the human body into something sinful and don't allow outlets such as masturbation for normal sexual urges.

Here's another awful thought: I'm wondering if far more went on than fondling, especially when it came to Jana, and she was too ashamed to come clean to police.

• Love 15

Here's another awful thought: I'm wondering if far more went on than fondling, especially when it came to Jana, and she was too ashamed to come clean to police.

I wouldn't be surprised. Each child had their interview responses rehearsed prior to the interview. It's so obvious. Yeah, sure, each individual child loves spelling and English and their least favorite subjects just all happen to be math. Oh, and they love broomball.

• Love 11
(edited)

Does anyone here know if the TLC message boards are still up and running?  I used to visit them a long time ago, and was just curious as to what people are saying over there, but I can't seem to find them.

TLC is still featuring 19 Kids and Counting prominently on their home page, and I checked the FRC webpage.  No mention of Josh.  

Surely statements are being prepared.  I imagine there are a lot of people running around like chickens with their heads cut off right about now...

Curious to see if this comes up on any of the nightly news broadcasts.

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 2

But if you fail to do this, you will be sinning against the LORD; and you may be sure that your sin will find you out.

-Numbers 32:23

Truer words never spoken.

• Love 11

Didn't Jill and Derek's chaperone (James?) tell us that, if they broke the rules, he would call the police?  At the time, I assumed he was just a kid who knew that you call the police when someone does something bad, but maybe Jim Bob has used that as a warning and Josh as an example that he means it. 

There was also a more recent episode, too, where Jordyn (or Jennifer?) mention that if they break their courting rules, they'll "break the law." I know they weren't around for that incident, since it was around 10 years ago, but maybe they've heard about it through the other children. I thought it was a weird thing for someone that young to say, but now it makes sense.

I don't know the family as well as other posters so I haven't tried to do the math, but which sister (???eek) might have turned 14 in March of 2002?

Jana would've been around 12/13 at the time, as the oldest. I definitely feel like she was involved, as everyone else is saying. I wonder if she just has different coping skills about what happened than the other girls. I mentioned in another topic how I felt like when Josh and Anna visited Ben and Jessa's new house there was this really awkward tension between the two, like they didn't even like each other. Now I understand why. Jessa was probably trying to cope with what happened by just getting out of the house, compared to how Jana's coping. Either way, all the victims would really benefit from counseling (including Josh), and the psychologist-in-training in me cringed when hearing that Michelle and JB didn't think it was that important for Josh to receive any therapy.

I think Jana, Jill, Jessa, Jinger, and Amy, who was the same age as Josh and lived in Fayetteville. Poor Jana. Poor, poor Jana. Wasn't she also at Journey to the Heart when the Gothard sex scandal broke?

I've read other articles in the past where fundie girls who are sexually abused/molested are usually blamed and sent away to places like that. That makes me really sad for them, not just those who were affected by this isolated incident.

Also, as fundies, the girls are taught to respect and obey their menfolk at all costs, which explains how the girls "forgave" him and continue to associate with him to this day (if this is all true, of course).  I can picture MEchelle blaming the girls for the impure thoughts their visible elbows or shins stirred up in Josh, making it inevitable that he would have to find a way to fulfill them.  The real victims in this are the girls who may have been touched, Anna, and her children- in that order.  Their lives are about to be turned upside down in the worst possible way.  

When the dust settles, if this is all true, I hope Jana tells her parents to stick their side hugs and jurisdictions up their asses sideways and gets the hell out of there.

Ugh, could you imagine living and being on a TV show with him all the time?? I think back to this past week's episode where Michelle went on that huge rant about how it's the women's job to make sure they don't draw men's attention inappropriately. How BIG of a slap in the face for those poor girls. She was basically telling them on national TV that it was their fault their brother couldn't control themselves. And how confusing for them - they're dressing exactly like Michelle wants them to, but the were still victims of sexual abuse. This makes me really sad.

• Love 20

I think that living in DC will also prompt Anna to take homeschooling more seriously.  Unlike the original 19, the Ms are going to be socialising with other kids in the playground or wherever.  While Michelle didn't really seem to care about how behind her children are in their speech, I think that Anna would be embarrassed. If MacKynzie goes around saying "Michael and me" when she is ten (like I have seen some Howlers doing) it will really stand out in DC.  Like GEML said, Anna seems prepared to teach from a proper curriculum and give her kids the best education she can.    

Sometimes Michael and me is correct.  As in, mama taught Michael and me how to pray.  :)

• Love 17

I have as much empathy for Josh as I do for his poor sisters and whoever else he might have abused. In a family where people are taught that normal, ordinary affection is wrong, yet Mom and Dad behave in hyper-sexual, inappropriate, "get a room" ways and Mom is popping out babies every year ... That messes up kids for life. Josh would have no means of expression of his hormones. Ordinary boys would have access to magazines, TV, internet ... in other words, energy away from HIS SISTERS. But with Josh, he's a messed up, pervy kid in a messed up family. Not surprising at all and I blame Jim-Bob and Michelle 100%.

• Love 23

At the risk of sounding bizarre, I'm glad we're able to process this together. I'm an adult woman in a professional occupation, and I had to shut my office door to hide the fact that I'm in tears over something that happened to a group of young women I don't know from Adam, but inexplicably care about.

We've been watching this family for ten years. We watched the birth of Hannie and all the younger kids. Hell, we saw Anna birth a baby on the toilet. We know so much about what they believe and do. I think we know more about their lives than we do many acquaintances that we see in our real lives. This would be horrifying to read about strangers, but to think we've watched the molester interact with his victims for a decade... That it truly fucked up.

• Love 21

Yeah, we're talking sisters, folks, and maybe Amy (Fayetteville?).

I do not think Amy would have been involved.  She is too outspoken.  She would have knocked him out.  She wasn't raised in this BS.

Not only is Anna likely blindsided by this but Derick and Bin as well. Derick barely knew Jill when he married her so there's no way they were able to discuss something so intimate with chaperones around. Since many women are afraid of being viewed as "damaged goods" I doubt it came up after marriage as well.

Yea, I am sure Derrick and Ben want to take Joshie out back for a good beating.  I am betting that neither wife told their husbands-especially after they were married.  

No wonder the scumbag has aged so much in two months.  He knew this was coming and that he would be exposed.  It really explains the weirdness on the last episode.  Stay sweet!  OMG.  And now I understand why Anna seemed so uncomfortable.  I believe they knew this was in the boiler room and about to explode. 

• Love 5
(edited)

I read through this a second time and took some notes.  Some things can be deduced from what is included in each narrative, in some cases I think I have a pretty good guess of who was being interviewed.

#11 and #17- I think are references to Amy.  The way they read they are trying to interview someone from outside the immediate family.  Both made a reference to not wanting this to end up a bigger deal than it is.  Keep in mind Amy is actually a year and a half older than Josh.  He was 14 and she was around 15 1/2 at the time of this incident.  In several places the description is that the victim (Amy) was sleeping on the couch.  Half woke up to being touched.  Just thought that Josh wanted a blanket.  Josh apologized, its all forgiven.

#10 is the most heart-breaking.  Something occurred in the laundry room (Jessa's jurisdiction?).  Josh put the girl on the washing machine and touched under her dress.

#9 is confusing, makes it seem like it might be the youngest.  Something happened while a story was being read, its confusing whether it happened over clothes or not.  Allegedly happened in front of others.  (Jinger?)

#12- Claims never to have been touched.  States she's home-schooled trying for GED. (Jana would have been 15 1/2 at time of interview only one in high school at that time.  Edited to add- I guess Jill at 14 1/2 at the time of the interview could also have been in high school)

#13- Doesn't know much, likes working on cars- John David?  Tells about Josh's confession.

#14- is a young boy- possibly Si.  Mentioned being spanked with a rod.

At the time of the incidents- 2002-2003 the kids ages:

Josh 14

Jana 12

Jill 11

Jessa 91/2-10

Jinger 8 1/2-9

Amy- 15 1/2.

The report mentions 5 possible victims.

And I'm wondering where Grandma Duggar lived in 2006 (Rogers?) And whether she was 61 at the time?

Edited by Kcat1971
  • Love 8
(edited)

Also, anyone want to give odds on a Josh Divorce? I'm at 75% Anna will leave. Maybe not right now, but within a year or two. She needs to protect her kids.

Also Ironic that the 'church elders' Jim Bob likely consulted was predator Gothard. Who else could it have been. The Holy Homechurch is under no authority.

Maybe Joe will get tossed out of Crown too....I can see this wrecking basically everything. Bin will need to find a job...etc....etc. It might also be why Derrick went right back to work.

EDIT: Also, this explain the new Amy Rift. There goes her show, too.

Edited by JoanArc
  • Love 3

It was not stated in a  or attested to in a court of law. It was a police report, that is not evidence of anything. 

He was never charged in a court of law or convicted of anything.

What country do you people live in?

For all we know he played doctor and daddy overreacted. No action was taken. 

It includes testimony from the young girls. Molestation of five girls is NOT playing doctor. No one obviously wanted this to be taken to court least their public image would be tainted.

• Love 14

I read through this a second time and took some notes. Some things can be deduced from what is included in each narrative, in some cases I think I have a pretty good guess of who was being interviewed.

#11 and #17- I think are references to Amy. The way they read they are trying to interview someone from outside the immediate family. Both made a reference to not wanting this to end up a bigger deal than it is. Keep in mind Amy is actually a year and a half older than Josh. He was 14 and she was around 15 1/2 at the time of this incident. In several places the description is that the victim (Amy) was sleeping on the couch. Half woke up to being touched. Just thought that Josh wanted a blanket. Josh apologized, its all forgiven.

#10 is the most heart-breaking. Something occurred in the laundry room (Jessa's jurisdiction?). Josh put the girl on the washing machine and touched under her dress.

#9 is confusing, makes it seem like it might be the youngest. Something happened while a story was being read, its confusing whether it happened over clothes or not. Allegedly happened in front of others. (Jinger?)

#12- Claims never to have been touched. States she's homeschooled trying for GED. (Jana would have been 15 1/2 at time of interview only one in high school at that time)

#13- Doesn't know much, likes working on cars- John David? Tells about Josh's confession.

#14- is a young boy- possibly Si. Mentioned being spanked with a rod.

At the time of the incidents- 2002-2003 the kids ages:

Josh 14

Jana 12

Jill 11

Jessa 91/2-10

Jinger 8 1/2-9

Amy- 15 1/2.

The report mentions 5 possible victims.

And I'm wondering where Grandma Duggar lived in 2006 (Rogers?) And whether she was 61 at the time?

I think Grandma would have been 64 in 2006.