Type keyword(s) to search

Josh & Anna Smuggar: A Series of Unfortunate Events

• Start Topic

Sister nannies = handlers. Girl can't even go to Target alone. Big difference from the freedom she most likely enjoyed in the DC suburbs.

yup I was thinking of Katie Holmes and her handlers too. Too sad for words.
  • Love 11

Well, what's surprising is that more laypeople apparently think divorce is a sin in certain situations than the pastors do. As the blog post mentions:

I would bet that's because the pastors know a lot more people, know a lot more people's situations, have given a lot more thought to those situations and have seen much more of people's emotions over those situations than most lay people. Understanding tends to make people more understanding, I think.

• Love 2

I agree - and not only do actual Christians "permit" divorce for this reason, so does the Bible. It explicitly states that divorce for sexual immorality is acceptable. I've always read that verse not only to mean it's acceptable but encouraged. 

I'm sure it would. Also, is that chart supposed to say 'is a sin' or 'is NOT a sin'? I don't know anyone, Christian or 'among Americans' who consider it a sin to get divorced if you are being abused. 37% of Americans, which I'm assuming includes non-religious people, thinking it's wrong to leave an abusive spouse doesn't seem accurate to me at all.

Ditto for the 38 percent who are said to think divorce is a sin in cases of abandonment. Seriously? So the abandoned person is supposed to remain married to somebody they'll never see again and who is probably shacking up with or bigamously married to somebody in another state? That makes no sense either. Who the heck thinks that? I wonder whether the public sample was really skewed somehow. Or people didn't understand the question because of all the "is a sin" "is not a sin" confusingness? I also don't understand the "none of these" entry -- or the numbers for it. Or maybe I'm just overestimating the country's liberalness ...

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 2

I also don't understand the "none of these" entry -- or the numbers for it. Or maybe I'm just overestimating the country's liberalness ...

The "none of these" is supposed to be for people who don't think that getting divorced for any of the aforementioned reasons is a sin. So they're the most liberal of all! 

I would bet that's because the pastors know a lot more people, know a lot more people's situations, have given a lot more thought to those situations and have seen much more of people's emotions over those situations than most lay people. Understanding tends to make people more understanding, I think.

I always figured though that pastors would skew more hardline when it comes to their interpretation of the Bible. Kind of like how the official Catholic stance is that birth control is bad and homosexuality is bad, but a good number of Catholic laypeople disagree. But what you're saying makes sense, too. 

And the feelings about abuse are definitely mainstream to some degree. I've posted on here before about one of the reasons I became disillusioned with my SBC-affiliated church was its stance on divorce. During a Bible study I asked my group leader if divorce was permissible if the wife was being abused. The group leader said that in cases of abuse, they'd remove the wife from the husband and keep her at a safe house if necessary, but that didn't make divorce okay. And this wasn't a super-extreme fundie church by any means, it was a mainstream evangelical church in Los Angeles. 

Edited by galax-arena

The "none of these" is supposed to be for people who don't think that getting divorced for any of the aforementioned reasons is a sin. So they're the most liberal of all! 

Thanks. That's what I thought, but then it struck me as odd that there are about the same number of them as there are of the people who think that you're sinning if you divorce somebody who knocked you silly or disappeared into the sunset......

And it sure leaves a small group in the middle ground -- with about 75 percent of all people apparently either taking the hardest possible line (half of them -- the 37 percent or so who don't condone divorce for abuse or abandonment) and the most liberal possible line (the other half -- the 37 percent or so who condone it no matter what). (since there obviously couldn't be any overlap between those two groups -- unless people hopelessly misunderstood the questions)

Just seems nutty that only about a quarter of people take a more nuanced view than either of those. .... Strange numbers all around, to me anyway.

Edited by Churchhoney

On the up side, Katie got out. With her kid.

Can you imagine the conversations between Katie & Anna?  "Gurrrrl, you would not believe the shit my cult made me do!"  "You think that was oppressive? Check this out....."     :)

• Love 11

According to ROL, Matt Valles, "who spent more than three months at [RU]," it's "'Jesus Jail.' They take your money, ID, cell phone, you can't watch television, read books or listen to any music except Christian music."

surprised that they don't ban Christian rock,too.

• Love 1

I always figured though that pastors would skew more hardline when it comes to their interpretation of the Bible. Kind of like how the official Catholic stance is that birth control is bad and homosexuality is bad, but a good number of Catholic laypeople disagree. But what you're saying makes sense, too. 

A couple of clergy friends of mine argue that clergy can be more likely to veer from official doctrine in their thinking than laypeople simply because they spend so much time thinking about that doctrine and taking it and its effects on people super seriously. Obviously, that's a certain kind of pastor, though. And they may never tell anybody about what they think. They may behave a little differently, though.

• Love 1

Not all adults are compensated on reality tv.

So true.  A couple of weeks ago I was part of an episode of a "reality" show.  The "main characters" get paid, but their family members do not get paid, even though they are on screen.  In fact, the episode I was working on was mostly about the family members, yet they still weren't getting paid.  (I, however, did get paid!)

• Love 2
Edited out a double post--the machines are taking over!

I just want you all to know that I now have an earworm with the refrain "Camp Scamafundie." And that's not even a real song.

Not a real song? The hell you say! I can't get it out of my head, so it must be real. ;)

Edited by SometimesBites
  • Love 2

Checking their flights and stuff seems a bit stalkerish

To me, it would be stalker-ish if the person/people you were sleuthing were just ordinary citizens...not fame/fortune/look-at-me! fame-mongers/attention seekers.

• Love 5

Ditto for the 38 percent who are said to think divorce is a sin in cases of abandonment. Seriously? So the abandoned person is supposed to remain married to somebody they'll never see again and who is probably shacking up with or bigamously married to somebody in another state? That makes no sense either. Who the heck thinks that?

Bill Gothard's followers, that's who! I've posted about my former friend who does.

• Love 1

Sister nannies = handlers. Girl can't even go to Target alone. Big difference from the freedom she most likely enjoyed in the DC suburbs.

Then again, I'm not sure I'd want to go out alone after the whole world found out my husband molested his sisters and cheated on me within a 2 or 3 month period...

• Love 9

I heard back from my e-mail inquiry to RU:

Hi Joe, our facility in Rockford, Il. is the only one for long term residential treatment.

Housing Assistant
RU Recovery Ministries

He did sign his name but I don't know if I should post it here.  

• Love 6

I heard back from my e-mail inquiry to RU:

Hi Joe, our facility in Rockford, Il. is the only one for long term residential treatment.

Housing Assistant

RU Recovery Ministries

He did sign his name but I don't know if I should post it here.  

Please tell me you told him that your name was Joe Smithson?

• Love 10

Bill Gothard's followers, that's who! I've posted about my former friend who does.

Indeed. I remember that. I'm hoping that Gothardites (and similars) don't add up to 37 or 38 percent of the U.S. population, though!

Last I heard, the total number of evangelical Protestants was in the 25 to 26 percent range as a proportion of the population and the total number of Catholics (of all stripes) was in the 20 to 21 percent range; Muslims are less than 1 percent and other Asian religious groups such as Hindus, who may be conservative, are an even smaller percentage.

If you put all those folks together, it only adds up to about 48 percent of the population, tops, even counting the liberal Catholics and liberal Muslims and all evangelicals (who we know aren't all the same in belief and certainly don't all embrace Gothardish ideas). Maybe I'm having trouble with my math here (wouldn't be surprising!). But it looks to me as if, for the percentages in this survey to be right, it means that nearly 80 percent of the nation's total evangelical Protestant, Catholic and Muslim populations must believe that even in cases of abuse and abandonment divorce is sin. (I think it's pretty unlikely that many people in other groups, such as mainstream Protestants, Jews and nones, are swelling these numbers much, so I'm figuring most of those people would be in these three groups.)

All that being the case, I'm having a really hard time understanding these numbers. They suggest that large majorities of American evangelicals and Catholics must be answering "yes" to the question whether divorce is still a sin in cases of abuse and abandonment. And, I say again, seriously? Big majorities of ALL evangelicals and Catholics? I must be making math errors here, but I hope somebody can point them out to me, because I'm baffled!

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 1

Dear Baby Jesus:

I don't ask for much in this life. Well, I do, but let's not discuss that one right now. The thing I currently want most in the world (besides a Birkin bag and peace on earth) is the following. I know you are a miracle worker and my only hope. Please, please, PLEASE let this happen: A fling between Josh Duggar and Bristol Palin that resulted in a "blessing". I'd even take more than one "blessing". After all, the more the merrier at the TTH, right?

Shortly after this is discovered, I really want Anna Duggar to re-enact Angela Bassett's scene from Waiting to Exhale. You know the one. Imagine the barbecue that can be had via Smuggar's super-expensive, loaded and oh-so-manly truck! I'll even bring the stuff for S'mores.

I know you've gotten many requests from People, In Style, OK!, The Daily Fail and so many more, but I know you'll answer my prayers.

Love,

MV

LOL- That cracked me up and I couldn't help myself.  

https://flic.kr/p/xRFtj8

• Love 3

I have the official word on Anna's options. I was standing in the supermarket checkout line, so I picked up a copy of some rag (might have been US magazine). In the article about "why she is staying with him" there's a sidebar explaining that Josh and Anna can divorce after counseling and 2 1/2 years separation. If it's in a supermarket checkout line magazine, it must be true, right? 

Start the countdown clock. 30 months minus one week to go. 

• Love 4

I have the official word on Anna's options. I was standing in the supermarket checkout line, so I picked up a copy of some rag (might have been US magazine). In the article about "why she is staying with him" there's a sidebar explaining that Josh and Anna can divorce after counseling and 2 1/2 years separation. If it's in a supermarket checkout line magazine, it must be true, right? 

Start the countdown clock. 30 months minus one week to go. 

Pretty sure that's based on the assumption that they have a covenant marriage, which (based on where they got married) they don't. 

• Love 4

Dear Baby Jesus:

I don't ask for much in this life. Well, I do, but let's not discuss that one right now. The thing I currently want most in the world (besides a Birkin bag and peace on earth) is the following. I know you are a miracle worker and my only hope. Please, please, PLEASE let this happen: A fling between Josh Duggar and Bristol Palin that resulted in a "blessing". I'd even take more than one "blessing". After all, the more the merrier at the TTH, right?

Shortly after this is discovered, I really want Anna Duggar to re-enact Angela Bassett's scene from Waiting to Exhale. You know the one. Imagine the barbecue that can be had via Smuggar's super-expensive, loaded and oh-so-manly truck! I'll even bring the stuff for S'mores.

I know you've gotten many requests from People, In Style, OK!, The Daily Fail and so many more, but I know you'll answer my prayers.

Love,

MV

Oh and add the hooker to the list of possible baby mommas!!What a way to get his quiverfuller faster than to impregnate a bunch of random chicks. http://radaronline.com/celebrity-news/josh-duggar-cheating-pregnancy-scare/

Still laughing at the thought that Sarah Palin would go after Josh with a shotgun demanding he marry her skanky daughter. Wouldn't Boob be welcoming if she came into the family! lol Yeah Boob hide your nuts because Sarah is coming for ya.

• Love 2
Please, please, PLEASE let this happen: A fling between Josh Duggar and Bristol Palin that resulted in a "blessing". I'd even take more than one "blessing". After all, the more the merrier at the TTH, right?

If we're wishing scandals upon Josh Duggar, I'd prefer that he got someone pregnant and paid her to get an abortion. 

• Love 10

Where's Waldo? This is AWESOME! If Josh isn't at that RU they have been badly burned by the publicity in an effort to hide Josh. Thanks Duggs! Could Josh be getting real counselling? One can hope the director of a legitimate organization can have 9 months with Josh so he is reborn as an anticult warrior.

If I was able, I would create a Where is Josh Hidden Object game.   Players would follow him starting in D.C. meeting his paid booty call and culminating in trying to find out where he ended up.      Tater Tots will be bonus points hidden in every scene.  To get to each new level you will have to pick a jurisdiction and complete it.

• Love 12

Pretty sure that's based on the assumption that they have a covenant marriage, which (based on where they got married) they don't. 

Their ceremony was in Florida, but was their marriage license issued in Florida or Arkansas?  

For Cherrio's game, if you fail to pay for your booty call, you have to sit on a blanket and be hit with a wooden spoon. 

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 6

Anna won't have a hard time getting a divorce, even if she has a covenant marriage.

http://www.arlegalservices.org/files/FSCovenantMarriage.pdf

Looks like the main difference is that divorce in a covenant marriage requires grounds, meaning no-fault is not an option.  She'd certainly have no problems proving adultery.  

Never mind.  Someone answered before I got this posted.  

Edited by MonicaM

Ok, so I don't know whether this means anything, but I was playing with my phone, looking at various instagram accounts, and checked out Josh's just to see if the nasty comments are still accumulating.  When his page came up there was a red banner on top that said no internet access.

My wifi connection was fine, and all the other pages were accessible.

So maybe he really is someplace where they confiscated his phone.  I wonder if he is in Rockford, and they are excluding him from any public appearances to avoid distractions and negative publicity.  

YMMV, but I thought it was interesting. If he still has a phone, I highly doubt it would be turned off.  It was practically glued to his hand.

• Love 1

No, you can still access the page and see all of the old postings.  

Maybe it is just me. It's late and I'm definitely not the most tech-savvy person out there.  But my wifi is definitely working, and I just found it odd that only Josh's instagram page was the only one that showed no internet access.

Honestly, I do not understand why they (Josh and Anna) don't just delete their accounts, or at the very least go private.  What is the point of exposing themselves to all of the nasty comments?

• Love 2

I think your internet/wifi wasn't working at the same moment your browser was to trying to load new content on Josh's Instagram page, and that was cached by your browser. His page loads for me, the last post is the plea for money for his terminally ill friend, with 9,500 comments.

• Love 1

I thought a "covenant marriage" meant a religious covenant - it's a State thing? Why do they need that when there is plain old "normal" marriage?

The religious right got it into state law in AR, AZ and LA. I guess nothing shows your devotion more than needing to make something law because you doubt your willpower to follow your beliefs voluntarily.

Edited by cheatincheetos
  • Love 22